PDA

View Full Version : stars/role players

dc5jdm
07-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Ive been thinking of this the whole day and I ask myself. Is pau gasol, bosh, boozer, Joe Johnson and amare still stars or are they good. Or just real good role player? Due to the fact that they are in teams with a go to player and have taken a back seat. Maybe we can add.ginobili to the list. There is some exceptions such as wade, westbrook and upcoming stars such as Bynum and rondo. So my question is has your definition or view of a star changed due to the fact that they joined forces. And do you consider those players listed as stars? You guys can add names to the list if you believe the same as me

Dade County
07-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Bosh is a star ( aka all star )

boozer & JJ use to play at a high level, but now they are just crafty veterans to me.

edit:

Amare is still a star too.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-24-2012, 03:48 PM
I would consider them very good players, right below star, but above average.

JLynn943
07-24-2012, 03:49 PM
I think they could all go to another team and return to being the top player/star on that team, so I think they're still stars.

dc5jdm
07-24-2012, 04:06 PM
They still are capable players but with the role they have now they seem like role players.

pedrofan45
07-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Gasol and Bosh are still stars

dc5jdm
07-24-2012, 04:14 PM
By the way how good do u think a team lead by a prime manu could have been? He was arguably the second best sg for a while.

keetyweedy
07-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Pau, Bosh, JJ all had opportunities to lead they're own team they just where never successful which is why they went elsewhere to achieve success, so i would consider them as star role players not necessarily "STARS"

as far as Ginobli & Boozer you cant really just say because they never had that opportunity but judging by they're game-play I doubt it, even at the prime of there careers I cant see them leading a team into the playoffs & achieving much success...

I personally think a star not only has talent & shows leadership but also sells tickets as well...

dc5jdm
07-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Pau, Bosh, JJ all had opportunities to lead they're own team they just where never successful which is why they went elsewhere to achieve success, so i would consider them as star role players not necessarily "STARS"

as far as Ginobli & Boozer you cant really just say because they never had that opportunity but judging by they're game-play I doubt it, even at the prime of there careers I cant see them leading a team into the playoffs & achieving much success...

I personally think a star not only has talent & shows leadership but also sells tickets as well...

So jeremy lin is a star even though he won't lead a team far into the post season? Or maybe won't even make it. Plus he's above average good

BradHolt4CYoung
07-24-2012, 04:30 PM
I dont think Joe Johnson can be a role player if he's led his team in scoring the past like 5 years.

keetyweedy
07-24-2012, 05:59 PM
So jeremy lin is a star even though he won't lead a team far into the post season? Or maybe won't even make it. Plus he's above average good

jeremy lin is avg at best, not above avg and he definitely is not a leader, it was sort of a "right place, right time" type of thing...NY is a big market and can make almost anybody alot bigger than what they truly are, like for example Brandon Jennings actually had a much better season than Lin's season and his nba spotlight is not even close to Lin & why is that??? THE BIG APPLE

eaglesfanphilly
07-24-2012, 06:01 PM

didnt know u predicted the future and u were an NBA scout :facepalm:

eaglesfanphilly
07-24-2012, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=keetyweedy;23080283]jeremy lin is avg at best, not above avg and he definitely is not a leader, it was sort of a "right place, right time" type of thing...NY is a big market and can make almost anybody alot bigger than what they truly are, like for example Brandon Jennings actually had a much better season than Lin's season and his nba spotlight is not even close to Lin & why is that??? THE BIG APPLE[/QU

yea its so easy playing in the biggest market in the united states and the brightest lights, his numbers r gona severely decline in houston :facepalm:

keetyweedy
07-24-2012, 06:12 PM
yea its so easy playing in the biggest market in the united states and the brightest lights, his numbers r gona severely decline in houston :facepalm:

never said it was easy to play there i said it can make somebody alot bigger than what they really are, Lin has played w/ 3 different teams and 2 different D-league teams in 2 yrs & Novak is now w/ his 5 team in 6 yrs, doesn't it amaze you that the media never knew who neither of them where until they played with the knicks...like i said BIG APPLE

Houston_Heat
07-24-2012, 06:23 PM
No Homer, but you suggesting that Bosh is not an all star might have me questioning your nba iq.. No offense, and I know hes the 3rd option in south beach, but i think everyone who reads this post will mention hes still an allstar, and consistently put up something close to 20 and 10 while being the 3rd option..

keetyweedy
07-24-2012, 06:31 PM
No Homer, but you suggesting that Bosh is not an all star might have me questioning your nba iq.. No offense, and I know hes the 3rd option in south beach, but i think everyone who reads this post will mention hes still an allstar, and consistently put up something close to 20 and 10 while being the 3rd option..

So is lamarcus Aldridge a star? or how about Montae Ellis? Bosh can put up good numbers but he's not a leader which doesn't make him a star, numbers don't always necessarily determine somebody being a star at one time Boozer was a 21 & 10 player do you think you could argue him being star? can you build a team around him being the leader? I doubt it

dc5jdm
07-24-2012, 07:54 PM
So is lamarcus Aldridge a star? or how about Montae Ellis? Bosh can put up good numbers but he's not a leader which doesn't make him a star, numbers don't always necessarily determine somebody being a star at one time Boozer was a 21 & 10 player do you think you could argue him being star? can you build a team around him being the leader? I doubt it

I think your 100% right. Numbers doesn't necessarily mean your a star. So does that mean that Ellis was the biggest NBA star when he was like 2nd or 3rd in scoring? :facepalm:

keetyweedy
07-24-2012, 08:54 PM
I think your 100% right. Numbers doesn't necessarily mean your a star. So does that mean that Ellis was the biggest NBA star when he was like 2nd or 3rd in scoring? :facepalm:

Montae has never been the 2nd or 3rd leading scorer for a season....NEVER...
the most he has ever avg in his career in a season was 25, but so has Michael Redd so since you think montae is star im pretty sure you think Michael Redd is too, right?? :laugh2:

Wade>You
07-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Accepting a lesser role in order to win a championship doesn't make you less of a star. If anything, it makes you that much greater since not many players are willing to do it and it's benefiting the team they play for.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-24-2012, 09:23 PM

Wait are you trying to say that Lamarcus Aldridge isn't a star? That is utterly insane.

ATX
07-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Accepting a lesser role in order to win a championship doesn't make you less of a star. If anything, it makes you that much greater since not many players are willing to do it and it's benefiting the team they play for.

Valid point.

keetyweedy
07-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Wait are you trying to say that Lamarcus Aldridge isn't a star? That is utterly insane.

Explain to me how LA is a star?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-24-2012, 09:31 PM

Educate yourself please...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/aldrila01.html

Iceman_9
07-24-2012, 09:33 PM
They are stars but they are the Robins of the Batmans.

Iceman_9
07-24-2012, 09:35 PM

:facepalm:

keetyweedy
07-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Educate yourself please...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/aldrila01.html

Like I said earlier just because you have good numbers doesnt necessarliy mean your a star,

Example

Michael Redd
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/reddmi01.html

keetyweedy
07-24-2012, 09:48 PM
They are stars but they are the Robins of the Batmans.

Almost pretty much the same difference...only thing is you referred to them as "Robins of the batmans" & i referred to them as star role players...

Jarvo
07-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Bosh & Gasol are stars the others I wouldn't want on my team.

Jarvo
07-24-2012, 10:43 PM

Question do you think Blake Griffin a star? If yes them Aldridge is because he is better then him.

Jarvo
07-24-2012, 10:45 PM

Shhh! Don't say anything smart on PSD because it's still butthurt members mad they all came together to WIN!

KnickaBocka.44
07-24-2012, 10:48 PM
never said it was easy to play there i said it can make somebody alot bigger than what they really are, Lin has played w/ 3 different teams and 2 different D-league teams in 2 yrs & Novak is now w/ his 5 team in 6 yrs, doesn't it amaze you that the media never knew who neither of them where until they played with the knicks...like i said BIG APPLE

It is a coincidence that they both started getting playing time with the Knicks, neither of them were ever given consistent minutes before last season.

BoSox47
07-24-2012, 10:51 PM
I dont think Joe Johnson can be a role player if he's led his team in scoring the past like 5 years.

Doesnt make him a superstar either, jsut cause he was the highest scorer on a team full of role players doesnt make him more then a role player.

JJ cant be the number one on a team as he has shown, but if hes the second then thats not bad and if third your team is damn good.

dc5jdm
07-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Montae has never been the 2nd or 3rd leading scorer for a season....NEVER...
the most he has ever avg in his career in a season was 25, but so has Michael Redd so since you think montae is star im pretty sure you think Michael Redd is too, right?? :laugh2:

I'm agreeing with u . U had to be a.mavs fan