PDA

View Full Version : What would our lines look like?

messleetch94
07-24-2012, 03:14 PM
With Gabby out till Dec-Jan, and this is not including a signing of Doan or a trade for Ryan, as of right now we have 12 forwards under contract. To start the season:

Kreider/Richards/Nash
Hagelin/Stephan/Cally
Pyatt/Halpern/Boyle
Asham/Rupp/Haley

Girardi/DZ
Stall/McD
Bickel/Sauer

Once Gabby returns, or if we sign Doan or trade for Ryan, the whole Dynamic changes. anxious to see what happens

IAmARanger18
07-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik/Callahan(When Gabs out)
Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan
Rupp-Halpern-Asham

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
MDZ-Bickel

bsi
07-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Nash has played LW for Canada, he will likely be tried out on one of the top two lines on LW when Gaborik comes back with Callahan keeping the 2nd line RW spot and Hagelin moving to third line, unless that doesn't work. I think that maybe Jasper Fast or JT Miller enter the lineup to start the year as well.
To start the year...
Hagelin Richards Nash
Kreider Stepan Callahan
Pyatt Boyle Fast/Miller
Rupp Halpern Asham

Gaborik return..
Kreider Richards Gaborik
Nash Stepan Callahan
Hagelin Boyle Pyatt
Rupp Halpern Asham ----unless Fast or Miller impress

Isca92
07-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Id like to see something this when Gabs returns.

Nash Richards Cally
Kreider Stepan Gaborik
Hagelin Boyle Pyatt
Rupp Halpern Asham

If Miller/Hrivik/Fast play until Gabs returns and fit then move Pyatt down and Asham and Rupp take turns rotating in and out of the lineup.

S.S-77
07-24-2012, 05:05 PM
I thought Nash played left wing?

bsi
07-24-2012, 05:36 PM
I thought Nash played left wing?

No Nash is typically a RW but as I said before he has played LW when playing for Canada.

averymustgo
08-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Putting Hagelin or Cally with Boyle basically ruins their entire offensive game. Thus, why you need a legit third line center. I hope Miller is ready but I don't think so. I'm sure the Rangers are praying behind closed doors that Miller lights it up at Hartford after 30 games so they can have him center the third line.

IAmARanger18
08-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Pyatt-Boyle-Thomas/Miller?
Rupp-Halpern-Asham

There you go :)

averymustgo
08-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Thomas? He isn't even close to being ready for the NHL. He's physically weak. In fact, he's dropped way down on the prospect list for the organization. You can just see it by the way they no longer talk about him.

nyr1980
08-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Christian Thomas is not NHL ready. He's really a long shot to make the club, and in all likelihood is in desparate need of a full season or more at the AHL level. Played only 11 total games for Ceonnecticut last year and just turned 20 in May. For all we know with Thomas, his lack of size may be a thing that precludes him from ever being a full time NHL'er.

Miller is probably closer at this point, and he needs some seasoning as well.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a veteran winger get a camp invite for a tryout, make the club, and grab a spot in the bottom six. That's what happened with Feds in 2010 and he got two seasons out of it.

IAmARanger18
08-05-2012, 01:40 PM
One of them is going to make it, or maybe even have Newbury make it, but then that puts one of Asham/Rupp on the 3rd line, unless Newbury plays 3rd line Center and Boyle moves to RW

bsi
08-05-2012, 02:18 PM
One of them is going to make it, or maybe even have Newbury make it, but then that puts one of Asham/Rupp on the 3rd line, unless Newbury plays 3rd line Center and Boyle moves to RW

I don't see Newbury starting the season in NY, one of Miller or Fast will be there I think, if they fail maybe Newbury fills in.

nyr1980
08-05-2012, 02:30 PM
No way Newbury makes the team. The guy is a 30-year old, career AHL'er who has played a grand total of 51 NHL games. Same thing with Chad Kolarik. If they have a spot to fill, it'll be one of the younger guys like Miller or Fast, or whoever among them is the most able to play at the NHL level.

Either way though, no matter who it is, you're looking at someone who'll probably wind up playing 4-6 mins. a night on the 4th line, unless someone comes out and just tears it up, which is not very likely.

Redfish
08-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Hagelin / Richards / Nash
Kreider / Stepan / Callahan
Boyle / Miller / Pyatt
Rupp / Halpern / Asham

I am betting (hoping) Miller makes the squad out of training camp.

IAmARanger18
08-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Newbury is more NHL ready then Fast is, he is a long shot to make the team and plus hes played in the NHL before with us, so I would see him as an option before any of them.

bsi
08-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Newbury is more NHL ready then Fast is, he is a long shot to make the team and plus hes played in the NHL before with us, so I would see him as an option before any of them.

If Newbury were NHL ready he'd be playing by now, as it was we had Bickel playing forward last year because we really had nobody ready to play in the minors.

IAmARanger18
08-05-2012, 10:34 PM
I just can't see Fast making the team, only one I can see making it out of camp is Miller.

bsi
08-05-2012, 11:30 PM
I just can't see Fast making the team, only one I can see making it out of camp is Miller.

Fast is a bigger version of Hagelin, he skates fast, forechecks hard and creates turnovers. IMO Miller and Fast are pencilled in as the guys most likely to make it. I like Miller too don't get me wrong, but just as a personal preference I like Fast's speed and I think he has Miller beat in the offense department. Fast could play anywhere in our lineup much like Hagelin. But who knows, maybe neither make it, it's all speculation right now until camp starts, maybe someone else shows they want it more than both of them.

averymustgo
08-06-2012, 04:10 AM
Agree BSI. A lot of Rangers fans aren't aware that Fasth(I refused to change his name), is a better prospect than Hagelin was. McGuire mentioned him in the same breath as Kreider who he is in love with. The reality is that the team needs another right Wing if they plan on keeping Nash on LW. So, I could see him make the team. He was having a monster year in Europe before that bad ankle break. I don't see Miller making this team until he gets at least 40 AHL games under his belt.

Ranger71
08-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Whatever they do, they shouldn't have Boyle on Line#3 or Bickel playing as a regular. They'll drag down the overall production of the team. Sign a good FA C with offensive ability and put Boyle on the 4th line where he belongs.

Redfish
08-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Agree BSI. A lot of Rangers fans aren't aware that Fasth(I refused to change his name), is a better prospect than Hagelin was. McGuire mentioned him in the same breath as Kreider who he is in love with. The reality is that the team needs another right Wing if they plan on keeping Nash on LW. So, I could see him make the team. He was having a monster year in Europe before that bad ankle break. I don't see Miller making this team until he gets at least 40 AHL games under his belt.

Really? Wow, like you said, I was unaware. Top prospects that play in Europe though seem to disappoint -- would like to see Fasth develop this reputation playing in North America.

averymustgo
08-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Well, he's playing against men. He was pretty dominant from all reports then went down with a viscous ankle injury. Came back and scored a couple of goals in the playoffs. The Elite league to me is better than the AHL for developing skills. The AHL is better helping players adapt to the physical, NHL style. I hope he makes the team.

Redfish
08-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Well, he's playing against men. He was pretty dominant from all reports then went down with a viscous ankle injury. Came back and scored a couple of goals in the playoffs. The Elite league to me is better than the AHL for developing skills. The AHL is better helping players adapt to the physical, NHL style. I hope he makes the team.

I really have no perspective on what the Swedish Elite league is like. I just know similar comments were made with Zuccarella and Erixon and, while both may ultimately prove to be solid NHL players at some point, both definitely needed some experience in the AHL before playing at the NHL level.

I guess Fasth is under contract and cannot play in Hartford this season? If he is a stronger prospect than Hagelin, and proves that to be accurate, that would be outstanding.

bsi
08-06-2012, 03:05 PM
I really have no perspective on what the Swedish Elite league is like. I just know similar comments were made with Zuccarella and Erixon and, while both may ultimately prove to be solid NHL players at some point, both definitely needed some experience in the AHL before playing at the NHL level.

I guess Fasth is under contract and cannot play in Hartford this season? If he is a stronger prospect than Hagelin, and proves that to be accurate, that would be outstanding.

Zuccarello's size and lack of speed are his biggest problems, his puck control and shot are NHL level the rest isn't yet. Fast has the speed and he plays a North American style game already, maybe not as physical as say a Callahan but he forechecks like Hagelin and he's 6' tall. Hagelin played well for us but he benefitted from being on with Richards, Fast won't get that opportunity unless Kreider and Hagelin fail there. Miller and Fast are IMO deadlocked but for me, I'd like to see Fast's speed, having him and Hagelin on the same line once Gaborik comes back would be a really hard line to play against. But as I said before the team will be made after the camps conclude, and anything a player did up to this point just got them the opportunity to try out, if someone shows they want it more then they'll be taking the spot.

rocowear21
08-06-2012, 04:10 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Fast was playing this season in europe. I could be wrong though.

bsi
08-06-2012, 04:32 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Fast was playing this season in europe. I could be wrong though.

I don't believe, how old was the article, might have been from last year.

averymustgo
08-06-2012, 06:55 PM
On another forum I had somebody telling me he would rather have Brian Boyle than Collin Wilson. A kid that had 34 points as a 20 year old and has had no offensive support on the Preds. Also the 7th pick in the draft. Rangers fans still fall in love with these guys who block shots but couldn't hit the side of a barn.

Isca92
08-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Averymustgo, fans love effort. While I dont agree with overvaluing a player because of his effort or made his name as a Ranger, I get it. Prelockout, the effort wasnt there. Postlockout, guys like Holweg, Ortmeyer, Sjostrom, all put it the effort and when they were let go people were outraged. What they skate to hard thats why Sather wouldnt resign them or traded them, are the kind of comments made after these players left. I am passed the atleast they put the effort in stage. They built the team the correct way, now its time to win.

averymustgo
08-07-2012, 09:15 AM
True but hard working players with no skill like Ortmeyer and Hollweg don't win cups. You need hard working players with skill. To me, Boyle is very limited with his skill.

ElementCo27
08-07-2012, 12:04 PM
True but hard working players with no skill like Ortmeyer and Hollweg don't win cups. You need hard working players with skill. To me, Boyle is very limited with his skill.

If Boyle could play the same game he did two years ago consistently then I'd be good with keeping him here. What he really needs to do is use his body a lot more. I do see him mostly try to rush the net using his body to basically overhaul the opponent, but two years ago he didn't do that too much and just found ways to get the puck through. He could be a Dubinsky replacement himself if he could pull off that kind of season again.

If we can get a good 3rd line player in the upcoming weeks that would be nice, but I'd rather stick within the system and just stay the course right now because Doan is too expensive and I really don't know who else is out there haha. I wish we had tried to go after Wellwood at some point though.

nyr1980
08-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Boyle just needs to embrace his role as the checking center. He has all the tools to be very good in that role. Excellent size and strength, physicality and a willingness to give up his body, he's smart and sound fundamentally, and he's greatly improved in his skating and faceoffs. If he scored 12-15 goals, with 30-40 points, but was continually hard to play against and focused primarily on the D aspects, I'd be happy.

Though, when Gabs gets back, it may bump someone down to the third line, be it Cally or Hags/Kreider, and whomever that guy is, they would represent the best offensive player he's ever played with, so he may produce more offensively.

bsi
08-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Boyle just needs to embrace his role as the checking center. He has all the tools to be very good in that role. Excellent size and strength, physicality and a willingness to give up his body, he's smart and sound fundamentally, and he's greatly improved in his skating and faceoffs. If he scored 12-15 goals, with 30-40 points, but was continually hard to play against and focused primarily on the D aspects, I'd be happy.

Though, when Gabs gets back, it may bump someone down to the third line, be it Cally or Hags/Kreider, and whomever that guy is, they would represent the best offensive player he's ever played with, so he may produce more offensively.

Hagelin will likely be the guy that gets bumped down, he'd fit well on a 3rd line, I think Kreider takes his spot on the top line by the time Gaborik gets back.

apdamico
08-07-2012, 05:03 PM
As I mentioned yesterday, Doan has cut his list down to 3-teams and the Rangers were one of those teams. The other teams are the Canucks and Pittsburg.

Obviously signing Doan is still a priority for Sather and it would provide GREAT depth and might even mean Callahan moving down to the 3rd line once Gaborik returns.

Here's the story: http://hockey.******.com/src_wiretap_archives/11870/20120806/doan_narrows_list_to_rangers_penguins_canucks/

At the right price and contract terms, Doan would be a very welcomed addition.