PDA

View Full Version : Best offseason in the West so far?

Cracka2HI!
07-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Oklahoma City and San Antonio haven't really improved but have stood pat, so they should still be the favorites, however many teams in the West did improve. Who improved the most and can they contend with OKC and SA?

Lakers
added; Nash, Jamison, Re-signed Hill,
lost; Sessions, Barnes?
still need to work on; bench

Clippers
added; Crawford, Odom, Hill, Hollins, re-signed Billups
lost; Williams, Young, Evans, Martin
still to work on; Starting SG until Billups is healthy, possibly another big

Denver
added; re-signed Miller and McGee
lost; really no one. This team should improve a lot from having all their players together for an entire training camp. Their additions came more from trades at the deadline and re-signing Chandler late in the year.

Dallas
added; Mayo, Kaman, Collison, Brand
lost; Terry, Kidd, Haywood
still need to work on; quality depth

Minnesota
added; Roy, Budinger, Stiemsma
lost; Darko, Webster
need to work on; making that big move. Maybe Igudala. For the sake of this thread I am assuming they will be able to bring in an all-star type wing player. They have the assets to do so.

Golden State, Phoneix and New Orleans have all made a lot of positive moves this offseason. I just can't really call those teams contenders yet. Houston could still make the biggest move, but honestly I think they are having a negative offseason even if they land Howard. It's been weird anyway. Can any of these teams compete with OKC and NO? Who's done best?

WhiteSoxGod
07-22-2012, 03:00 PM
I protest Houston should be in the poll. They have had the best offseason in my opinion.

Chronz
07-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Depends on how you define best, if by best you mean which teams have improved their chances to win next year then its the Lakers BY FAR.

Have the Twolves added Roy yet? The Nuggets had a hard time staying healthy last year but I like the moves theyve made.

Clippers are a wildcard. Theyve added abunch of question marks and overrated players.

I like the moves Dallas has made but they arent contenders IMO.

Chronz
07-22-2012, 03:58 PM
I protest Houston should be in the poll. They have had the best offseason in my opinion.

They have improved their outlook for the future, not for next year unless they add Dwight.

FraziersKnicks
07-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Clippers

If Odom can play like he did in a Lakers jersey that will be HUGE for them. A big man rotation of Blake, DeAndre and Odom is gonna be brilliant for them. Crawford will provide offense off the bench and Hill can start allowing Butler to come off the bench.

I'd say they have the strongest second unit in the league now: Bledsoe, Crawford, Butler or Hill, Odom and Hollins

All the players they lost, they have improvements for. Odom's an improvement over Kenyon, Crawford is an improvement over Young and Williams was expendable with CP3, Bledsoe and Billups.

--23--
07-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Lakers, Clippers, & Mavs

WhiteSoxGod
07-22-2012, 04:27 PM
They have improved their outlook for the future, not for next year unless they add Dwight.

Right, I mean it depends in what context you take the question. The Rockets have cleared any major problems they have. They don't have any bad contracts, a mess load of draft picks (1st and 2nd rds), a ****-ton of cap space, and the ability to facilitate any major trade.

popo85
07-22-2012, 04:32 PM
OP Dallas also lost Terry
Lakers, Suns, Mavs, Suns all made good moves

Cracka2HI!
07-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Depends on how you define best, if by best you mean which teams have improved their chances to win next year then its the Lakers BY FAR.

Have the Twolves added Roy yet? The Nuggets had a hard time staying healthy last year but I like the moves theyve made.

Clippers are a wildcard. Theyve added abunch of question marks and overrated players.

I like the moves Dallas has made but they arent contenders IMO.

Would you consider the Wolves a contender if they trade for Igudala?

Right, I mean it depends in what context you take the question. The Rockets have cleared any major problems they have. They don't have any bad contracts, a mess load of draft picks (1st and 2nd rds), a ****-ton of cap space, and the ability to facilitate any major trade.
I don't have as much confidence in the assets they have assembled as Minnesota. Houston may be able to pull off something otherwise they just have a few nice young players and a bunch of spare parts.

Dade County
To me the Clippers have improved their team a lot...

The west is going to be fun to watch all year ( especially if Howard is traded to a western team ).

Yankeefan213
I like what the Lakers and Suns did. The Mavs also turned what seemed to be a bad offseason into a fairly good one.

Iron24th
07-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Lakers - filled their biggest needs
Clippers - add some depth
Suns - very good acquisitions

SportsFanatic10
07-22-2012, 05:01 PM
i voted clippers by mistake, i'd say the lakers for sure. adding nash potentially solves alot of their issues (outside shooting, ball distribution, ect) and jamison can put up some points off the bench. hill is an athletic, high energy backup center as well.

asandhu23
07-22-2012, 05:05 PM
well to be fair... Warriors' moves started last trading deadline. Traded Ellis for Bogut and fixed the BIG issue which has been W's decade long prob. Developed Klay the rest of the season to make up for scoring loss this year. Drafted Harrison Barnes to fix SF issue where Dorell Wright went meh. Got defensive presence players to make up for loss of Ekpe Udoh who is +/- monster.

Risky moves though. If Bogut and Curry don't get well, these moves could backfire.

SACNYY
07-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Lakers for sure

justjames
07-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Dallas had a good recovery after striking out on Deron but I think they should have blown it up and gone into rebuilding mode. Now they're a middle of the road cannon fodder team.

Lloyd Christmas
07-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Lakers without a doubt. That hurt to say.

rickshaw
07-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Right now the Lakers. If Minny can trade for Iggy or another good SF then probably them.

Chronz
07-22-2012, 06:46 PM
well to be fair... Warriors' moves started last trading deadline. Traded Ellis for Bogut and fixed the BIG issue which has been W's decade long prob. Developed Klay the rest of the season to make up for scoring loss this year. Drafted Harrison Barnes to fix SF issue where Dorell Wright went meh. Got defensive presence players to make up for loss of Ekpe Udoh who is +/- monster.

Risky moves though. If Bogut and Curry don't get well, these moves could backfire.

Ive never been excited to see the Warriors play but I am this year. I like the changes theyve made going from a perimeter team to an interior one but they definitely have alot of question marks. How will Bogut respond to his injuries, how will he and Lee mesh.

Most importantly how do their swings play, I dont know much about Barnes but Im not impressed with his collegiate markers.

Its an interesting mix for sure.

Donuts365
07-22-2012, 06:59 PM
lakers not even close

mdm692
07-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Best off-season to contend
Lakers

Best off-season building for the future
Suns

topdog
07-22-2012, 07:31 PM
I like what the Lakers and Suns did. The Mavs also turned what seemed to be a bad offseason into a fairly good one.

The Suns seem like a band of castoffs to me. It would have been intriguing had they gotten Gordon; but, as it stands, I just see it as going in a different direction.

Lakers win so far. They entered talking about trading Gasol and re-signing Sessions and somehow they got Nash and potentially Howard not to mention some extra shooting in Jamison.

The Mavs were really surprising. I like their team a lot better than last years' and they maintained flexibility (which I think may still fail to turn out actual results - remains to be seen).

Finally, my Wolves I don't expect to pursue Iggy based on some research they supposedly did and the fact that he will make more than Love next year (too much $$$). For them, it is a matter of progression and perhaps a little luck with Wes Johnson, Derrick Williams, Brandon Roy (agreed to sign but not official) and Alexey Shved (ditto) all being wildcards. Stiemsma and Budinger certainly are more reliable and consistent than Darko and Beasley though.

WhiteSoxGod
07-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Would you consider the Wolves a contender if they trade for Igudala?

I don't have as much confidence in the assets they have assembled as Minnesota. Houston may be able to pull off something otherwise they just have a few nice young players and a bunch of spare parts.

The Rockets always seem to turn young players and spare parts into winning records though. They always get the most out of guys.

LoveMeOrHateMe
07-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Lakers by far

MrfadeawayJB
07-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Lakers are the big winners imo because Nash may put them over the top for a NBA Championship.

Dallas went from having the worst offseason to the best when you look at it on a roster changing player for player standpoint.

LAC also had a solid offseason

mdm692
07-22-2012, 08:54 PM
The Suns seem like a band of castoffs to me. It would have been intriguing had they gotten Gordon; but, as it stands, I just see it as going in a different direction.

Lakers win so far. They entered talking about trading Gasol and re-signing Sessions and somehow they got Nash and potentially Howard not to mention some extra shooting in Jamison.

The Mavs were really surprising. I like their team a lot better than last years' and they maintained flexibility (which I think may still fail to turn out actual results - remains to be seen).

Finally, my Wolves I don't expect to pursue Iggy based on some research they supposedly did and the fact that he will make more than Love next year (too much $$$). For them, it is a matter of progression and perhaps a little luck with Wes Johnson, Derrick Williams, Brandon Roy (agreed to sign but not official) and Alexey Shved (ditto) all being wildcards. Stiemsma and Budinger certainly are more reliable and consistent than Darko and Beasley though.
Perhaps you should take a look at this article.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=8KgacHOHscg&NR=1

As it stands the team has 16mill in cap space for next offseason. Welcome back to AZ James Harden or Andre Iguodala??

Green_Monster
07-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Lakers.

Iceman_9
07-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Lakers..

numba1CHANGsta
07-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Mavs lost Terry too, big lose IMO

69centers
07-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Clippers

Giants-49ers-Ws
07-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Lakers---Nash is the biggest difference maker to switch teams and it doesn't take many in basketball to give your team a significant boost

Cracka2HI!
07-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Added Terry and Stiemsma

King41
07-23-2012, 10:08 AM

this ! +1