PDA

View Full Version : Question

houstonfan
07-20-2012, 08:32 PM
This may be a dumb question but say one day somebody dunks the ball by jumping from behind the 3 point line. Does this count as 2 points or 3 points? Im guessing 3 but if somebody can give me the real answer that would be great.

And yes i know this would never happen, this is a hypothetical question.

Avenged
07-20-2012, 08:33 PM
How much was it for Jordan in Space Jam?

Aust
07-20-2012, 08:35 PM
lol I remember people debating this question before.

StarvingKnick22
07-20-2012, 08:35 PM
if you touch the rim then its a 2.

bholly
07-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Pretty sure it's a 3, at least in the NBA. From the league rule book:

RULE NO. 5—SCORING AND TIMING

Section I—Scoring
a. A legal field goal or free throw attempt shall be scored when a ball from the playing
area enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through the net.

b. A successful field goal attempt from the area on or inside the three-point field goal
line shall count two points.

c. A successful field goal attempt from the area outside the three-point field goal line
shall count three points.
(1) The shooter must have at least one foot on the floor outside the three-point field
goal line prior to the attempt.
(2) The shooter may not be touching the floor on or inside the three-point field goal
line.
(3) The shooter may contact the three-point field goal line, or land in the two-point
field goal area, after the ball is released.
Source: http://www.nba.com/.element/mp3/2.0/sect/podcastmp3/PDF/2011-12-NBA-RULE-BOOK.pdf

All the three-point requirements are met, so it'd be a three.

Some would argue that touching the rim makes you inside the three point line, and maybe the league would end up amending the rules to reflect that, but as written that isn't in the rules anywhere - all that matters is where your feet last touched the ground.

Lake_Show2416
07-20-2012, 08:51 PM
23.5 feet & dunk a 10 foot rim lol

houstonfan
07-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Pretty sure it's a 3, at least in the NBA. From the league rule book:

Source: http://www.nba.com/.element/mp3/2.0/sect/podcastmp3/PDF/2011-12-NBA-RULE-BOOK.pdf

All the three-point requirements are met, so it'd be a three.

Some would argue that touching the rim makes you inside the three point line, and maybe the league would end up amending the rules to reflect that, but as written that isn't in the rules anywhere - all that matters is where your feet last touched the ground.

Based off that looks like it would be a 3... thanks

wesso2008
07-20-2012, 09:00 PM
3 pts.

IndyRealist
07-20-2012, 09:01 PM
The rule depends on where the player's feet leaves the floor. If he leaves the floor from behind the 3pt line, it's a 3.

I think the previous debate was about an alley-oop.

D12 fan
07-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Nobody will ever dunk from the 3pt line,very few peole have dunked from the freethrow line.I don't ever see it happening.

hornetsfansydne
07-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Depends on where the player's feet leave the ground, same as what determines whether it is a 2 pt or 3 pt shot. SO to answer your question, its a 3

bholly
07-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Nobody will ever dunk from the 3pt line,very few peole have dunked from the freethrow line.I don't ever see it happening.

Startling insight, well done.

D12 fan
07-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Startling insight, well done.

Thank you.

sep11ie
07-20-2012, 09:15 PM
You should start practicing now, when you throw one down from behind we will bump this thread and you'll be the new rave of PSD.

StarvingKnick22
07-20-2012, 09:18 PM
What if someone dunks from the side, after running from the stands. Its only a 2 feets difference from the free Throw line. maybe possible but not very likely.

IndyRealist
07-20-2012, 09:25 PM
What if someone dunks from the side, after running from the stands. Its only a 2 feets difference from the free Throw line. maybe possible but not very likely.

Except it's illegal to come from out of bounds and catch the ball, isn't it? There isn't enough room inside the arc in the corner to get a running start.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
07-20-2012, 09:26 PM
what about at the end of a game they grab a rebound and chuck it, it comes up short but bounces up (clock expires) and it goes in? thats a good one for ya to think about does it count and if it does is it a 2 or 3?

StarvingKnick22
07-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Except it's illegal to come from out of bounds and catch the ball, isn't it? There isn't enough room inside the arc in the corner to get a running start.

umm when did i say it would be in a Game? It could be done at the Dunk contest. it will win if Blake Griffin isnt in it supporting Kia.:eyebrow:

D12 fan
07-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Maybe we can get MJ from Space Jam,He dunked from half court.

Or was that fake?

ROY 2 MVP Braun
07-20-2012, 09:35 PM
someone answer my ? up a few post!!!

Hellcrooner
07-20-2012, 09:43 PM
what about at the end of a game they grab a rebound and chuck it, it comes up short but bounces up (clock expires) and it goes in? thats a good one for ya to think about does it count and if it does is it a 2 or 3?

its valid unless it touches the upper part of the backboard.

D12 fan
07-20-2012, 09:44 PM

It wouldn't count after the buzzer.

albertc86
07-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Whatever it was in NBA Jam.

Hellcrooner
07-20-2012, 09:52 PM
^as long as there is no human interference and the ball left humans hand before the clock ended it would be a valid basket.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
07-20-2012, 09:55 PM
^as long as there is no human interference and the ball left humans hand before the clock ended it would be a valid basket.

thank you i was always wondering about that because in middle school i wasnt strong enough to throw the ball full court off a rebound so i always told people id try to bounce shot it haha

Patriotsfan97
07-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Just being hypothetical, but what if a player was on a fastbreak, ran off the court and brought a trampoline on to the court behind the 3 point line, ran backwards with the ball to create some space, and jumped from the trampoline and dunked it? Is that some special kind of 4-Pointer or something, or just a 3 Pointer? Does he get bonus points for creativity if this were to happen? Remember, 100% hypothetical and would never happen, but if it did. Can this occur? Was this the real Caesar's Palace?

StarvingKnick22
07-20-2012, 10:13 PM
I didn't know the answer. Still don't. The guys who wrote this truehoop post don't either:
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/6226/buzzer-beating-bounce-in

Given the OP's question did actually have a clear answer, and you were the only one to get it wrong, maybe you should go easy on abusing people? honestly i could care less about your opinion.

hey idiot im saying if they threw the ball before the clock expired up in the air towards the basket and it comes up short but bounces in as the clock expires...

i forgot its so hard to read:facepalm:
it has been done alot. im just suprised you havent seen them.

StarvingKnick22
07-20-2012, 10:17 PM
someone answer my ? up a few post!!!
1. It cant bounce it in after the buzzer
2. If it hits the rim, bounces on the rim, goes in, its legal. got it?

bholly
07-20-2012, 10:18 PM
honestly i could care less about your opinion.

it has been done alot. im just suprised you havent seen them.

Name a single time when that has happened in an NBA game. I don't think it ever has.

Wade>You
07-20-2012, 10:18 PM
If a chick was the best basketball player in the world, would she be allowed to play in the NBA?

bholly
07-20-2012, 10:21 PM
If a chick was the best basketball player in the world, would she be allowed to play in the NBA?

Yes. A woman has been drafted before. Stern even said a few years ago that he thinks a woman will play in the NBA one day:
http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=Lusia_Harris
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/12/04/countdown/index.html

LA_Raiders
07-20-2012, 10:25 PM
lol. 3

StarvingKnick22
07-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Name a single time when that has happened in an NBA game. I don't think it ever has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXpwKOPeEJY
it only didnt count because it hit the SHOT CLOCK. if it hit the Backboard it counts.

bholly
07-20-2012, 10:38 PM
it only didnt count because it hit the SHOT CLOCK. if it hit the Backboard it counts.

Okay, except he's pretty clearly talking about it falling short of the rim and bouncing in off the court. Not sure how this is an example of that.

Patriotsfan97
07-20-2012, 10:40 PM

You are missing this. He's talking about tossing it up, being way short, bouncing off the ground, and while it is coming back up the buzzer goes off and goes in. Nothing to do with backboards or rims, etc. He's talking about it bouncing off the ground and going in.

StarvingKnick22
07-20-2012, 10:42 PM
You are missing this. He's talking about tossing it up, being way short, bouncing off the ground, and while it is coming back up the buzzer goes off and goes in. Nothing to do with backboards or rims, etc. He's talking about it bouncing off the ground and going in.

i know. someone else brought up that situation.

StarvingKnick22
07-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Okay, except he's pretty clearly talking about it falling short of the rim and bouncing in off the court. Not sure how this is an example of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bNUKU14Xws
not a goo example, but credit still given to McGrady

hornetsfansydne
07-20-2012, 10:47 PM

The problem is that for a basket to be scored it needs to be determined that it was a legitimate shot. I think a player would have a lot of trouble determining that it was a definite shot attempt and that he/she meant for the ball to bounce.

The only time points can be scored when not off a shot/tip/dunk is when the player it hits/causes it to go into the ring doesn't benefit from it (think songaila a few years ago when the ball hit his shoulder then went in the ring).

hornetsfansydne
07-20-2012, 10:48 PM

my point exactly, the reason this was counted was because walton hit it in. The reason it was credited to McGrady was because he would have been the captain on the court at the time, not because he shot it

StarvingKnick22
07-20-2012, 10:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKcjIaHWMRc
it doesnt count :dance:

StarvingKnick22
07-20-2012, 10:51 PM
i found it BABY! bholly is wrong! #BadLogic

bholly
07-20-2012, 10:52 PM

You're right, not a good example.

It wasn't credited as a successful field-goal. It was the Lakers putting it in their own basket. TMac got the points because he was the closest Rocket. From the NBA rulebook:

Section I—Scoring
a. A legal field goal or free throw attempt shall be scored when a ball from the playing
area enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through the net.
b. A successful field goal attempt from the area on or inside the three-point field goal
line shall count two points.
c. A successful field goal attempt from the area outside the three-point field goal line
shall count three points.
(1) The shooter must have at least one foot on the floor outside the three-point field
goal line prior to the attempt.
(2) The shooter may not be touching the floor on or inside the three-point field goal
line.
(3) The shooter may contact the three-point field goal line, or land in the two-point
field goal area, after the ball is released.
d. A field goal accidentally scored in an opponent’s basket shall be added to the opponent’s score, credited to the opposing player nearest the player whose actions caused the ball to enter the basket.

bholly
07-20-2012, 10:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKcjIaHWMRc
it doesnt count :dance:

i found it BABY! bholly is wrong! #BadLogic

That one didn't count because it was after the whistle, not because it came in off the ground.

And how am I wrong? Read through my posts. My stance has been that a) I don't know the answer, and b) It's super uncool of you to get upset and abuse the guy for asking a good question.
Which part am I wrong about?

ohreally
07-20-2012, 10:57 PM
This may be a dumb question but say one day somebody dunks the ball by jumping from behind the 3 point line. Does this count as 2 points or 3 points? Im guessing 3 but if somebody can give me the real answer that would be great.

And yes i know this would never happen, this is a hypothetical question.

I think that's a 6-pointer, at least.

StarvingKnick22
07-20-2012, 10:59 PM
That one didn't count because it was after the whistle, not because it came in off the ground.

And how am I wrong? Read through my posts. My stance has been that a) I don't know the answer, and b) It's super uncool of you to get upset and abuse the guy for asking a good question.
Which part am I wrong about?
im talking 'bout in general

bholly
07-20-2012, 11:01 PM

Talking about what in general? I'm not wrong about anything that I've said, but I'm wrong in general because of that video?

Or you're talking about how bounce-shots aren't allowed in general, even though you've got no evidence to show that?

Patriotsfan97
07-20-2012, 11:02 PM
i know. someone else brought up that situation.
I was typing when he entered that, so I didn't see it. Still got mine and everyone else's point across.

Patriotsfan97
07-20-2012, 11:06 PM

In general? The only reason it didn't count is because it was after the whistle and couldn't be determined if he was intentionally shooting the ball. So no, bholly isn't wrong. :facepalm:

StarvingKnick22
07-20-2012, 11:13 PM
I was typing when he entered that, so I didn't see it. Still got mine and everyone else's point across.

cant argue with that. lol

StarvingKnick22
07-20-2012, 11:14 PM
In general? The only reason it didn't count is becyause it was after the whistle and couldn't be determined if he was intentionally shooting the ball. So no, bholly isn't wrong. :facepalm:

in general, not specifically in this thread

StarvingKnick22
07-20-2012, 11:15 PM
1000 posts YES!!!

Blitzbolt
07-20-2012, 11:47 PM
This thread is hard solid.

houstonfan
07-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Just being hypothetical, but what if a player was on a fastbreak, ran off the court and brought a trampoline on to the court behind the 3 point line, ran backwards with the ball to create some space, and jumped from the trampoline and dunked it? Is that some special kind of 4-Pointer or something, or just a 3 Pointer? Does he get bonus points for creativity if this were to happen? Remember, 100% hypothetical and would never happen, but if it did. Can this occur? Was this the real Caesar's Palace?

Hey patriotsfan97... **** off

houstonfan
07-20-2012, 11:57 PM
New question: Why are the toronto raptors part national basketball association... They are in canada? Or how about more seriously: can a player throw a show at a ball thats about to go in the basket... Is it goaltending?

houstonfan
07-21-2012, 12:03 AM
Shoe* not show

bholly
07-21-2012, 12:12 AM
New question: Why are the toronto raptors part national basketball association... They are in canada? Or how about more seriously: can a player throw a show at a ball thats about to go in the basket... Is it goaltending?

1) Because it was just American teams when it started, and then when it made sense to add Canadian teams it wasn't worth a full re-brand. Same reason there are American teams in the NHL, which was founded as a Canadian league.

2) No idea. I can't imagine it would be allowed, but I don't know exactly what rule it would fall under.

Patriotsfan97
07-21-2012, 12:15 AM
Ha same ^

Patriotsfan97
07-21-2012, 12:18 AM
Hey patriotsfan97... **** off

Look I'm sorry. It just had to be said. No harsh feelings. I just thought it was funny, I thought about the Hangover, etc. it just isn't realistic. But to make up for it, the answer to your question is whether or not he touches the rim. 2 points if he touches, 3 if not.

houstonfan
07-21-2012, 12:33 AM
Look I'm sorry. It just had to be said. No harsh feelings. I just thought it was funny, I thought about the Hangover, etc. it just isn't realistic. But to make up for it, the answer to your question is whether or not he touches the rim. 2 points if he touches, 3 if not.

Its all good haha but ya my friend who never watches basketball asked the question and it made me think.

Patriotsfan97
07-21-2012, 02:37 AM
Gotcha

KnickNyKnick
07-21-2012, 03:02 PM
someday a man will be 17 feet tall and accomplish this

Eg714
07-21-2012, 03:27 PM

N.B.A.

No *****es allowed.

houstonfan
07-21-2012, 03:37 PM
2 things:
1. Does anybody have an answer on my goaltending question?
2. I believe that if brian scalabrine has a spot in the NBA, then a girl will one day