PDA

View Full Version : Metta World Peace Is Now Friends With The Fan Who Threw A Drink At Him In Detroit

spreadeagle
07-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Interesting and hilarious

Metta World Peace and John Green joined ESPN Los Angeles with Mason and Ireland to discuss how they became friends, why the cup was thrown in the first place, the weirdness of them becoming friends since then, what they're trying to do now and why Artest laid down on the scorer's table.

How did you become friends with John Green, the guy who threw the cup at you that ended up instigating the brawl?
"What happened was, when I got into the brawl in Detroit, I was transitioning into a different type of person, that person that I've become, but that game had so many emotions involved. So I get suspended and I think the whole world hates me and I'm walking around not wanting to talk to anybody. Then my psychologist, I was talking to her about a few things and I said, ‘You know what, I'm going to reach out to John.' So I went on Twitter and said, ‘Anybody that can find me this guy's number or information, I'll take you out to lunch.' … Somebody from Chicago found his number … so I called him and his wife picks up the phone. And I said, ‘Hey, this is Ron Artest. I'd like to speak to John.' … Then I spoke to John and he answered the phone like he knew I was going to call."

John, is that the way you remember it?
"That was, he pretty much hit it right on the head. … I never knew, really, that that was going to happen, but it was weird. Just to clear things up, it wasn't a beer that I threw. It was a Diet Coke."

Why did you throw the Diet Coke?
"It was really weird, and to tell you the truth, I have nothing whatsoever against Ron Artest or any of the Indiana Pacers. In fact, that was like the biggest draw, to go see the Pacers and the Pistons go head to head. … It was a blowout, literally. They were smoking the Pistons and I usually would have walked out and been over at the bar. But then the whole thing took place … and Artest went over on the bench and laid down. And everybody's sitting there booing him for laying on the table and harassing him in good nature and kids were throwing their popcorn at him. … I told my buddy, ‘I bet I could nail him from right here.'"

John, how weird is it now that you and Ron are friends?
"Ron's a good guy. And you wanna know what? I like to think the same thing about myself. Yes, I've made bad choices and maybe Ron has, too, but I think he and I are very similar. We're very passionate people, but we admit when we're wrong, too. … Right away, because Ron's so soft-spoken, I thought it was Michael Jackson or something. … We just started talking and we hit it off. He apologized and I did. … It came from him and it takes a lot to do something like that."

On what he and Ron are doing:
"What Ron's doing, and what we're talking about doing together, is getting out and reaching out to people that have similar issues as we do and talking about it, because that's what it's all about. It's getting over the hurdles in life and getting past them and using what we've done as a mistake."

On why Ron went to the scorer's table and laid down in the first place:
"At that time, I was still seeing psychologists so I was just practicing how to relax. At that point in my career, I'm on edge every single game. I absolutely want to go out for the kill and win every single game. So she's like, ‘You've got to relax.' I was practicing exactly what she told me and this guy was thinking this thing, and then, boom."

http://deadspin.com/5927883/metta-world-peace-is-now-friends-with-the-fan-who-threw-a-drink-at-him-in-detroit

xxplayerxx23
07-20-2012, 06:25 PM
MWP is weird and crazy so lol

nbrod
07-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Lol such a weird guy

StarvingKnick22
07-20-2012, 06:34 PM
lol funny how the world works.

EDUTEXANS
07-20-2012, 06:39 PM
lol

Avenged
07-20-2012, 06:39 PM
LOL Metta World Peace.

smith&wesson
07-20-2012, 06:42 PM
lol metta is one enterteining sob.

Vinny642
07-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Really a thread for this? He just loves being in the news, his tweets are terrible and thirsty for attention.

J Dub8299
07-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Hey was laying on the score table because he wanted no part of Big Ben knowing he was bout to get the beat down of a lifetime...

Teeboy1487
07-20-2012, 06:48 PM
LOL Metta World Peace.

This.

asandhu23
07-20-2012, 06:57 PM
The fan is dead scared...

Gators123
07-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Hey was laying on the score table because he wanted no part of Big Ben knowing he was bout to get the beat down of a lifetime...

This.

raiderposting
07-20-2012, 07:04 PM
mwp is a boss.

HoodedSB
07-20-2012, 07:08 PM
"On why Ron went to the scorer's table and laid down in the first place:
"'At that time, I was still seeing psychologists so I was just practicing how to relax.'"

Awesome.

310Casper
07-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Really a thread for this? He just loves being in the news, his tweets are terrible and thirsty for attention.

you sound upset.

:cry:

majmarcus
07-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing. Ron was about to get owned like a paid off mortgage...

310Casper
07-20-2012, 07:16 PM
i love hearing feel-good stories like these, just gives us a little more faith in humanity.

Even 'crazy' guys have a heart. As a laker fan, you start to see the real Ron, the guy has a big heart, a few loose screws, but his intentions are meant well. He donates a lot to a mental health charity and always makes sure to plug it when on the air/tv. Props to him.

KniCks4LiFe
07-20-2012, 07:18 PM
I know peace is the theme but I woulda kicked his *** for throwing a diet coke at me. BTW Ron Ron ain't that crazy, Big Ben woulda waxed him.

Hawkeye15
07-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Artest may be the single most interesting person in the NBA.

Hawkeye15
07-20-2012, 07:19 PM
"I bet I can nail him from here" hahahaha

Awesome.

dodie53
07-20-2012, 07:30 PM
peace.

fadedmario
07-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Actually kind of a neat story. Thanks for posting.

king4day
07-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Very interesting. Good read

Hunter48MVP
07-20-2012, 07:50 PM
lol

--23--
07-20-2012, 07:59 PM
lol good read

EasternStar
07-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Green, I come in PEACE!:D

GoPacers33
07-20-2012, 08:06 PM
**** ron artest

Gagan136
07-20-2012, 08:12 PM
That phone convo must of started of pretty awkward lol

COOLbeans
07-21-2012, 08:59 PM
I actually heard this live and they both sounded very sincere.

MrfadeawayJB
07-21-2012, 10:48 PM
thats crazy haha

Losoway
07-21-2012, 11:00 PM
lol laker forum

Heatcheck
07-22-2012, 01:04 PM
becuase its the one person he DIDNT hit in the fight

Chavacano
07-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Aww... :love:

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-22-2012, 01:56 PM
lol laker forum

lol, nah

knicks=love
07-22-2012, 02:39 PM
:laugh2:

Mr.B
07-22-2012, 11:29 PM
becuase its the one person he DIDNT hit in the fight

THANK YOU!! I was wondering when someone was going to mention this!

Ok, it's cool that he has found peace in his life and I even think that the James Harden elbow to the head incident was/will be and isolated event and I think it's cool that he's friends with the guy that threw the drink at him however what I really want to know is did he ever apologize to the guy he actually went after in the stands. I want everyone here to actually go back and look at the footage and you will see that the guy he first went after was not the guy that threw the drink. He actually went after the guy that was sitting next to the guy that threw the drink. The guy he went after was actually laughing because Ron got hit with the drink but its kind of funny because you can actually tell the instant he took a huge dump in his pants when he realized Artest was coming after him!

For those looking it up the guy in the white hat actually threw the drink however Artest went after the guy in the black shirt.

numba1CHANGsta
07-22-2012, 11:36 PM
wish more people were like you MWP! :D

COOLbeans
07-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Metta is the man

Blazers#1Fan
07-23-2012, 12:51 AM
Rons on my top 5 favorite players ever the guy could ball when he was option 1 in a way i think him going to the lakers killed his game man ron on the kings and rockets he was GOOD! But once he took a back seat he declined fast before the lakers he was on a incline but him and the lakers did get a Ship

Blazers#1Fan
07-23-2012, 12:58 AM
THANK YOU!! I was wondering when someone was going to mention this!

Ok, it's cool that he has found peace in his life and I even think that the James Harden elbow to the head incident was/will be and isolated event and I think it's cool that he's friends with the guy that threw the drink at him however what I really want to know is did he ever apologize to the guy he actually went after in the stands. I want everyone here to actually go back and look at the footage and you will see that the guy he first went after was not the guy that threw the drink. He actually went after the guy that was sitting next to the guy that threw the drink. The guy he went after was actually laughing because Ron got hit with the drink but its kind of funny because you can actually tell the instant he took a huge dump in his pants when he realized Artest was coming after him! For those looking it up the guy in the white hat actually threw the drink however Artest went after the guy in the black shirt.

He did i remember it

blystr2002
07-23-2012, 02:14 AM
Everybody who has ever been a teammate or interviewed MWP has said that he is a nice soft spoken guy, so this doesn't surprise me. Obviously, he is weird and goes haywire and because of that make crazy choices. However anybody that thinks MWP is a complete ******* is wrong. The guy is not normal and has legitimate problems, but criminal and hate worthy I'm nor sure. Not to mention if somebody would have thrown a drink on a lot of you you might have reacted too.

Kyben36
07-23-2012, 02:48 AM
became friends with Kobe after the ebow incident ????. doesnt surprise me in the least.

Brink182
07-23-2012, 08:57 AM
oh a Diet Coke that changes everything.

MLB2K10King
07-23-2012, 10:35 AM
I know it sounds crazy. But I love this guy, he's so weird but in a hilarious and what I hope to be safe way lol.