07-20-2012, 03:37 PM
SHANE DOAN MEETING WITH RANGERS TODAY. LETS GET HIM

http://arizonasports.com/?sid=1560290&nid=132

JETSMETSRANGERS
07-20-2012, 03:44 PM
We need to get Shane Doan before he goes somewhere else

teddygreen17
07-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Im sorry i dont get it...why is everyone clammering for a guy that scored less than 30 goals and is 35 years old. We need a sniper on the powerplay

IAmARanger18
07-20-2012, 05:42 PM
anything more than 2 years and over 10M I will be pissed

nyr1980
07-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Im sorry i dont get it...why is everyone clammering for a guy that scored less than 30 goals and is 35 years old. We need a sniper on the powerplay

Thank you. I'd like Doan. But he's a secondary piece at this point, regardless of his leadership and intangibles. They've got plenty of that. What they need is more high-level productivity.

NYSPORTS98
07-20-2012, 06:11 PM
EXACTLY what i predicted in the Weber/Philly thread yesterday. Immediately the Rangers panic.

>>>With the way the Knicks have accelerated to an old team, I'm sure the Rangers will follow the Garden suit by going hard for a 35/36 Doan for a small fortune while the 26 beast resides in Philly.<<<

So typical

fingerbang
07-20-2012, 07:51 PM

It's like adding a second Ryan Callahan. Cally's stats over the past four seasons don't jump out at you but all the Ranger's fans know how great he really is.

nyr2002nyr
07-20-2012, 09:21 PM
EXACTLY what i predicted in the Weber/Philly thread yesterday. Immediately the Rangers panic.

>>>With the way the Knicks have accelerated to an old team, I'm sure the Rangers will follow the Garden suit by going hard for a 35/36 Doan for a small fortune while the 26 beast resides in Philly.<<<

So typical

Rumor is the Pens are the ones who offered him 4years at 7.5 per the fact he didnt jump all over it means more then you think.

He made 4,2 last year and brings leadership and toughness that plays into how we already play as long as its not for a crazy $$ like the Pens offered its a good move if they get him. Now i just dont want it to be the only move we make we still need to add a KEY PLAYER ON O

Redfish
07-20-2012, 09:55 PM

Shane Doan had a strong playoff performance and that enhanced his profile to end the season. However, it is important to recognize that his regular season last year was sub-par. It was his lowest point total since 1998 and there were periodic comments throughout the season that he was slowing down. I think the guy is a bona-fide leader and pro, and I would be excited to see him finish his career with the Rangers. However, I would personally remain realistic and expect nothing more than 50 points and for his age to show at times throughout the season. In today's NHL, unfortunately, that may require a hefty contract, which I am not thrilled about. So, overall, I am indifferent to whether we sign him. I don't have high confidence it brings us closer to a Stanley Cup.

rocowear21
07-20-2012, 11:10 PM
I only want doan as a complimentary piece

bsi
07-20-2012, 11:32 PM
We weren't far off from a cup appearance last year, another 3'd string D and a guy like Doan and Kreider for next year really doesn't bother me at all. I'd take him. The guy is much better than his stats show and anyone who watches him regularily would realize that. Adding him without subtracting anything from this team makes us much better. We'd have three capable lines if we did after Gabby came back and he could move up with Stepan while Gaborik is out. There's very few teams outside of Pitsburgh or L.A that could match up with us line for line after that. IMO we've already made our big deal by adding Kreider for playoffs last year, he got some valuable experience and he'll be good this year. Dubinsky should bounce back, I don't think his play last year is indicative of what we can expect from him next year. If we add 50 points with Doan, add 40-50 with Kreider and Dubi can jump back up another 10 or 15 then we've effectively covered up for Gaborik's absence up to Christmas and after he comes back fresh we'll be flying. Doan is a veteran with great leadership abilities, and can play all aspects of the game and his size and smarts would be welcome on our PP.

Hagelin Richards Gaborik,
Kreider Stepan Callahan
Anisimov Dubinsky Doan,
Pyatt Boyle Halpern

I'd be perfectly comfortable saying we'd be a cup contender if we had that forward lineup or some variation of it and were able to add some help to the bottom pairing on D. This move doesn't cost us any youth, it doesn't cost us any roster players, it just costs us cap space for a couple years.

Lisound15
07-21-2012, 08:42 AM
To be honest, everyone saying we "need" a sniper needs to relax. We were the #1 seed in the east and had the 11th most goals in the league. A guy like Doan would be perfect because he's good on the power play, the penalty kill, and is a great two way forward who would fit the system perfectly. We can't just bring in guys that aren't going to fit what our team is trying to do, its not like baseball where you can insert a power hitter in the 4 hole and be effective.

That being said, I'd take Doan as long as his contract is at most 3 years. And then I'd sign evander kane to an offer sheet and either forfeit picks or trade some of the massive depth we have in the minors. kane is gonna be a stud and he'd be amazing with kreider for the next 5-10 years.

Redfish
07-21-2012, 08:54 AM
To be honest, everyone saying we "need" a sniper needs to relax. We were the #1 seed in the east and had the 11th most goals in the league. A guy like Doan would be perfect because he's good on the power play, the penalty kill, and is a great two way forward who would fit the system perfectly. We can't just bring in guys that aren't going to fit what our team is trying to do, its not like baseball where you can insert a power hitter in the 4 hole and be effective.

That being said, I'd take Doan as long as his contract is at most 3 years. And then I'd sign evander kane to an offer sheet and either forfeit picks or trade some of the massive depth we have in the minors. kane is gonna be a stud and he'd be amazing with kreider for the next 5-10 years.

True, yet in the playoffs, the club's goal production dropped more than most other playoff teams, partly because of Gaborik's injury but there were also a number of forwards who did not produce (Hagelin, Anisimov, Stepan, Dubinsky when healthy, Boyle post concussion).

Without adding another bona fide scorer to this lineup, this team does not win a Stanley Cup or even get to the finals. I realize we were close but I think this club played close to its maximum potential as a unit last season and I would not want to "stand still" and hope we find a way to advance --- we need more assets --- Tortorella aptly identified that as more offensive production and defensive depth.

We are close, for sure. Very close. But, in my view, we do need another 60 point type player and a 3rd pairing on defense that can be relied upon to hold its own and chew up minutes when needed.

ShadyOne
07-21-2012, 09:19 AM

Doan would fit, but Nash would too. Maybe not the prototypical guy for what we do, but Nash does enough dirty work to fit IMO, and his size and skill would be exactly what we need. I like Doan, but to me, he is a secondary option, not the grand prize. But I guess if he would be willing to come for a "reasonable" deal, would have to pull the trigger..

I would really like Evander Kane, but the only problem is, how much is he worth? Talented, sure, young, yep, but does he take the next step towards star (or at least almost-star) status? I would think it would take a huge offer to make the Jets let him go, but is he worth that kind of offer? Or worth whatever the Jets would want?

Isca92
07-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Nysports98, you did say they would do that, but isnt that what you want? If you want the kids to develop, they need someone to bridge the gap, so why not bring in a veteran forward who can take weight off their shoulders now and not cost anything but a contract to obtain.

Redfish, I agree with what your saying about last season play and what is needed to advance.

For the stand pat people: They may have been the 1 seed but had trouble with the 8, 7, seed and lost to the 6 seed. While they finished the season as top in the east, how many of their wins did were you at the edge of your seat cause the game was close to being tied. The we didnt have Kreider in the regular season, but they had him in the playoffs and he was one of the top scorers and it still wasnt enough.

Sandman
07-21-2012, 09:53 AM

orly?

id love to find that guy.

so would the other 29 teams.

NYSPORTS98
07-21-2012, 10:25 AM

So typical

Nysports98, you did say they would do that, but isnt that what you want? If you want the kids to develop, they need someone to bridge the gap, so why not bring in a veteran forward who can take weight off their shoulders now and not cost anything but a contract to obtain.

No, that's not what I want. A 35/36 year old veteran is not bridging the gap. The team has a coach and Brad Richards for that.

Seriously and dripping with sarcasm; what is Doan at 35/36 years old going to bring to the Rangers?

- Will Mark Messier pick him up at the airport only to have Doan ask for his autograph? "We're looking forward to your leadership"?

- We want you to mentor Carl Haglein who will show you around NY being it's 30 times the size of Phoenix and Winnipeg where you spent your career.

- Good news, there is a seminar you're going to attend with Jason Kid about conserving energy over 35 years old

- Here comes Crosby, pulled down by Doan. What's Doan going to say to Hagelin? "There was day I could stay with these guys without pulling them down b/c my legs were younger"

- Doan going to share more hockey stories being he's too old to be traded? "Let me tell you about the times we missed the playoffs by 25 points".

- Maybe Doan can be a cheerleder on the bench during the PP. "Good effort guys, we almost completed enough passes to get in position for shot headed wide of the net. Keep working, I need a break".

Doan at 35/36 is more of a problem than an answer. That is, unless he wants to play for free. I'm not paying for the leadership b/c I expect it from Richards and the Coach.

Lisound15
07-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Doan would fit, but Nash would too. Maybe not the prototypical guy for what we do, but Nash does enough dirty work to fit IMO, and his size and skill would be exactly what we need. I like Doan, but to me, he is a secondary option, not the grand prize. But I guess if he would be willing to come for a "reasonable" deal, would have to pull the trigger..

I would really like Evander Kane, but the only problem is, how much is he worth? Talented, sure, young, yep, but does he take the next step towards star (or at least almost-star) status? I would think it would take a huge offer to make the Jets let him go, but is he worth that kind of offer? Or worth whatever the Jets would want?

Nash is obviously our first choice, i'm just getting fed up with scott howson already. Every day it seems less and less likely that anything will happen, and I wouldnt want the rangers to mortgage their entire future for a big contract with little playoff experience.

I would give up a lot to get evander kane, anybody not named mcdonagh or kreider is expendable. They really need a young, exciting talented forward with a high cieling, and kane fits that perfectly. He has a good 2 way game, has improved offensively every year and can still get better. Think about it having a core of mcdonagh, kane and kreider all hitting their prime at the same time. pretty scary.

J4KOP99
07-21-2012, 12:07 PM
For the right price this would be a great signing.

...for the right price. Don't panic

rocowear21
07-21-2012, 01:25 PM

So typical

No, that's not what I want. A 35/36 year old veteran is not bridging the gap. The team has a coach and Brad Richards for that.

Seriously and dripping with sarcasm; what is Doan at 35/36 years old going to bring to the Rangers?

- Will Mark Messier pick him up at the airport only to have Doan ask for his autograph? "We're looking forward to your leadership"?

- We want you to mentor Carl Haglein who will show you around NY being it's 30 times the size of Phoenix and Winnipeg where you spent your career.

- Good news, there is a seminar you're going to attend with Jason Kid about conserving energy over 35 years old

- Here comes Crosby, pulled down by Doan. What's Doan going to say to Hagelin? "There was day I could stay with these guys without pulling them down b/c my legs were younger"

- Doan going to share more hockey stories being he's too old to be traded? "Let me tell you about the times we missed the playoffs by 25 points".

- Maybe Doan can be a cheerleder on the bench during the PP. "Good effort guys, we almost completed enough passes to get in position for shot headed wide of the net. Keep working, I need a break".

Doan at 35/36 is more of a problem than an answer. That is, unless he wants to play for free. I'm not paying for the leadership b/c I expect it from Richards and the Coach.

That has to be one of the worst posts I have ever seen. Doan is a great hockey player even at his age and skates and plays hard every shift. I am not a huge Doan fan but really dude the man can play. Just watch some of his highlights last year. He is physical and works hard for the puck every shift.

NYSPORTS98
07-21-2012, 01:56 PM
That has to be one of the worst posts I have ever seen. Doan is a great hockey player even at his age and skates and plays hard every shift. I am not a huge Doan fan but really dude the man can play. Just watch some of his highlights last year. He is physical and works hard for the puck every shift.

Another reading comprehension issue I see as I clearly said "dripping with sarcasm". :facepalm:

HE'S 35/36 YEARS OLD so your response is one of the worst responses I have ever read. In case you actually believe the fountain of youth is going to bypass this fella, I have news for you. HE'S 35/36 years old and practically borrowed time.

fingerbang
07-21-2012, 02:41 PM
There isn't a youthful alternative. We've got cap space and we're going to have to do something. Doan can still play. He was all over the ice in the LA series.

Normally you don't want to overpay but you don't want to start the season with a bunch of unused money either. If Sather can structure a 3 year deal that makes him tradable in final season he can shell out a pretty high cap hit.

Garden Faithful
07-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Another reading comprehension issue I see as I clearly said "dripping with sarcasm". :facepalm:

HE'S 35/36 YEARS OLD so your response is one of the worst responses I have ever read. In case you actually believe the fountain of youth is going to bypass this fella, I have news for you. HE'S 35/36 years old and practically borrowed time.

Have you mentioned anything about hockey in any of your posts. Doan is an awesome player who is physical, can score, and can lead. Also he is hungry for a shot a cup pretty much any team would want him if they could get him. He hasn't slowed down and I don't know why you think he will without any evidentiary support as well. Doan is a great piece to have on the team who can score and has size which we could use on our top two lines.

NYSPORTS98
07-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Have you mentioned anything about hockey in any of your posts. .

If you have to ask, you haven't read many of my posts nor have you followed the Rangers very long.

nyr2002nyr
07-21-2012, 04:41 PM

Redfish, I agree with what your saying about last season play and what is needed to advance.

For the stand pat people: They may have been the 1 seed but had trouble with the 8, 7, seed and lost to the 6 seed. While they finished the season as top in the east, how many of their wins did were you at the edge of your seat cause the game was close to being tied. The we didnt have Kreider in the regular season, but they had him in the playoffs and he was one of the top scorers and it still wasnt enough.

The seedings don't mean that much besides home ice when you have 8 teams separated by what 10 -12 points?

nyr2002nyr
07-21-2012, 04:43 PM

Look who made the posts it says it all

4Ironhorse
07-21-2012, 04:45 PM
anything more than 2 years and over 10M I will be pissed

I agree

averymustgo
07-21-2012, 05:48 PM
With practically no FA's, several teams will probably go 4 years, 5.5 on Doan. So, if he's about the money, he won't come here. I say 3 years at 5 million. Then use Dubinsky and Erixon to get Stastny and give Howson the finger on Nash.

NYSPORTS98
07-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Look who made the posts it says it all

Based on your poor reading comprehension, I'll take that with a grain of salt. :yawn:

ShadyOne
07-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Nash is obviously our first choice, i'm just getting fed up with scott howson already. Every day it seems less and less likely that anything will happen, and I wouldnt want the rangers to mortgage their entire future for a big contract with little playoff experience.

I would give up a lot to get evander kane, anybody not named mcdonagh or kreider is expendable. They really need a young, exciting talented forward with a high cieling, and kane fits that perfectly. He has a good 2 way game, has improved offensively every year and can still get better. Think about it having a core of mcdonagh, kane and kreider all hitting their prime at the same time. pretty scary.

I hear you, it isn't a bad idea at all, hopefully the guy is as good as you think he is..

But if we were willing to give up this huge haul of players, why not just do it for Nash? If given the choice, you have to go for the proven commodity. Not saying Kane can't do it, or that he is that far off, but Nash is a guy who has been THE marked man on his team, and has shown he is a reliable 30+, even 40 goal scorer. I get the youth factor, but you are then going to give up a lot of players, plus a nice amount of cash to sign a guy that you hope ends up being as good as Nash already is.

nyr2002nyr
07-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Based on your poor reading comprehension, I'll take that with a grain of salt. :yawn:

You might as well be a Cubs fan they way you talk

nyr2002nyr
07-21-2012, 11:07 PM
I hear you, it isn't a bad idea at all, hopefully the guy is as good as you think he is..

But if we were willing to give up this huge haul of players, why not just do it for Nash? If given the choice, you have to go for the proven commodity. Not saying Kane can't do it, or that he is that far off, but Nash is a guy who has been THE marked man on his team, and has shown he is a reliable 30+, even 40 goal scorer. I get the youth factor, but you are then going to give up a lot of players, plus a nice amount of cash to sign a guy that you hope ends up being as good as Nash already is.

It seems lie no matter what you offer howson its not enough man. Im not really sure why he even has a job at this point

ShadyOne
07-21-2012, 11:26 PM
It seems lie no matter what you offer howson its not enough man. Im not really sure why he even has a job at this point

It's become a big joke, honestly..

This might be his last chance to keep that job, and he knows it. Can't believe he will actually allow this to drag into the season, hoping something happens soon, even if that means we don't get him, this way I can move on to thinking about other deals...

fingerbang
07-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Did you guys even read the interview? Letting it "drag" into next season isn't a problem. They have Nash signed for quite some time. The last thing ownership wants to see is a crappy return for the best player on their team, a former number one pick. Howson doesn't have to please Rangers fans. If he doesnt get the return he wants... They stick with Nash, a very good hockey player.

Redfish
07-22-2012, 12:44 AM
Did you guys even read the interview? Letting it "drag" into next season isn't a problem. They have Nash signed for quite some time. The last thing ownership wants to see is a crappy return for the best player on their team, a former number one pick. Howson doesn't have to please Rangers fans. If he doesnt get the return he wants... They stick with Nash, a very good hockey player.

I am not so sure about this. There is precedent with an elite player holding out during this type of uncertainty to avoid injury risk and eliminate all trade possibilities. Also, it is very unhealthy for a coach and team to evolve your entire game around a player that does not want to be part of the team. It just doesn't work.

Howson has very little leverage due to the no trade clause, which limits his negotiating options, and the size and length of Nash's contract. Combined, these factors sharply reduce the value Columbus will ever get for Nash --- Howson may or may not understand that. He has seen the trade offers and has little to risk by dragging this on -- those trade offers will be there in four weeks but, as time goes on, he will have to pull the trigger and accept some offer before end of training camp, in my view.

fingerbang
07-22-2012, 03:10 AM
I am not so sure about this. There is precedent with an elite player holding out during this type of uncertainty to avoid injury risk and eliminate all trade possibilities. Also, it is very unhealthy for a coach and team to evolve your entire game around a player that does not want to be part of the team. It just doesn't work.

Howson has very little leverage due to the no trade clause, which limits his negotiating options, and the size and length of Nash's contract. Combined, these factors sharply reduce the value Columbus will ever get for Nash --- Howson may or may not understand that. He has seen the trade offers and has little to risk by dragging this on -- those trade offers will be there in four weeks but, as time goes on, he will have to pull the trigger and accept some offer before end of training camp, in my view.

Precedent? What are you talking about? Nash is under Columbus control for six more years.

No rush!!!!

They don't have to trade him just because you really want him on the Rangers.

NYSPORTS98
07-22-2012, 08:03 AM
You might as well be a Cubs fan they way you talk

It's called the way I write and you would be better off taking some English classes. ;)

1. Weber was a perfect fit for the Rangers, the Rangers went after him and Weber denied wanting to play in Manhattan.

2. Getting a 35/36 Craig MacTavish for faceoffs is one thing, bringing in Doan a 35/36 year old Doan for his role is a mistake.

Those are my two stances and am one for one being the Rangers went after Weber and hoping to be two for two by not bringing in Doan.

Meawhile, you're two for two on being a prick.

NYSPORTS98
07-22-2012, 08:14 AM

I think both the Rangers and B.Jackets should wait.

1. We have no idea when this season will start. If NESN was correct with their guess, we might not see hockey until the Winter Classic which isn't until January 1st. Gabby won't be out too much longer than that.

2. I'd prefer to see kids like Kreider, Hagelin and company develop a bit. If the team really struggles to score, then make a move. Otherwise, this team shouldn't be derailed (unless they really aren't that good)

3. Jackets should maximize their opportunity for returns on Nash while the Rangers shouldn't ship out too many prospects until they have a little more time to develop. One long offseason could prove to be the difference in in both natural physical maturity and weight lifting physical development.

No rush to make trades, unless of course, it's the top of the food chain like the Weber/Stamkos type.

ShadyOne
07-22-2012, 09:10 AM

Yes, I read the interview, thanks for asking. Just because he said it isn't a problem, doesn't mean it actually isn't one. Do you believe everything you read, or everything someone says...

Honestly, this has been dragging along since they were initially trying to trade him around the deadline. Doesn't seem anyone has budged yet and given in to his demands. It isn't going to magically happen if he waits, so he will eventually have to lower his unrealistic demands, no? Otherwise he is sitting with a dysfunctional team let by a disgruntled star player. Does that sound like a situation he wants? What else would he say, "I must trade him before the season, so just hold firm on your offers and make me cave in and deal him for less before this season starts"?

Kind of like the situation in Orlando, with Dwight Howard. Maybe this one isn't as bad, or as high-profile, but regardless of what they say, would you believe they aren't desperate to deal him? And like you say, Nash is under control for 6 years, who's to say he doesn't play half-*****, and force his way out, lowering his value even more, while still being able to control where he goes. That really sounds like a situation Howson would love, right?

fingerbang
07-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Yes, I read the interview, thanks for asking. Just because he said it isn't a problem, doesn't mean it actually isn't one. Do you believe everything you read, or everything someone says...

Honestly, this has been dragging along since they were initially trying to trade him around the deadline. Doesn't seem anyone has budged yet and given in to his demands. It isn't going to magically happen if he waits, so he will eventually have to lower his unrealistic demands, no? Otherwise he is sitting with a dysfunctional team let by a disgruntled star player. Does that sound like a situation he wants? What else would he say, "I must trade him before the season, so just hold firm on your offers and make me cave in and deal him for less before this season starts"?

Kind of like the situation in Orlando, with Dwight Howard. Maybe this one isn't as bad, or as high-profile, but regardless of what they say, would you believe they aren't desperate to deal him? And like you say, Nash is under control for 6 years, who's to say he doesn't play half-*****, and force his way out, lowering his value even more, while still being able to control where he goes. That really sounds like a situation Howson would love, right?

The Howard trade has lingered for awhile... because it could. If you want to compare the Nash situation to Howard than I guess we can expect this to linger 5 1/2 more seasons.

fingerbang
07-22-2012, 11:29 AM
It's become a big joke, honestly..

This might be his last chance to keep that job, and he knows it. Can't believe he will actually allow this to drag into the season, hoping something happens soon, even if that means we don't get him, this way I can move on to thinking about other deals...

This is where you're thinking fails hard. Howson isn't doing himself any favors by CAVING to Sather.

ShadyOne
07-22-2012, 11:42 AM
This is where you're thinking fails hard. Howson isn't doing himself any favors by CAVING to Sather.

Dude, you are responding, and saying absolutely nothing...

Where in any of my posts did I say he needs to cave in to us, or do us a favor, or he owes us Nash, or whatever other useless garbage you are talking about. He is obviously being unreasonable, as there isn't one team that has been able to make a deal. He can ask for the sun, moon, and stars, but that doesn't mean Nash is worth it, nor does that mean anyone will ever give him what he wants. He can set the price as high as he wants, doesn't mean he will ever get it. And regardless of what he says, you and I both know he wants to get something done. And this isn't a case where someone's name is floated out there, just to see what the return might be. This is a time where someone has to be moved, and everyone knows it. Noone is going to overpay, if they were, something would have already happened.

What is worse for him, letting this continue to drag on, and get uglier and uglier, or take a fair, reasonable offer from someone, and move on? I'm sure if he was willing to make a reasonable deal, Sather would have already gotten something done. And we aren't in a desperate need to make this deal, honestly, so Howson can wait as long as he wants, McD, Kreider, Stepan, or whoever else he is holding out for arent going anywhere..

fingerbang
07-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Dude, you are responding, and saying absolutely nothing...

Where in any of my posts did I say he needs to cave in to us, or do us a favor, or he owes us Nash, or whatever other useless garbage you are talking about. He is obviously being unreasonable, as there isn't one team that has been able to make a deal. He can ask for the sun, moon, and stars, but that doesn't mean Nash is worth it, nor does that mean anyone will ever give him what he wants. He can set the price as high as he wants, doesn't mean he will ever get it. And regardless of what he says, you and I both know he wants to get something done. And this isn't a case where someone's name is floated out there, just to see what the return might be. This is a time where someone has to be moved, and everyone knows it. Noone is going to overpay, if they were, something would have already happened.

What is worse for him, letting this continue to drag on, and get uglier and uglier, or take a fair, reasonable offer from someone, and move on?

No it's not!!!

I heard this crap at the deadline. There's 6 years left on the deal and he doesn't have to rush anything. The team sucks either way.

ShadyOne
07-22-2012, 12:00 PM
No it's not!!!

I heard this crap at the deadline. There's 6 years left on the deal and he doesn't have to rush anything. The team sucks either way.

Guess we are just going to agree to disagree, then..

If you think a team being terrible, and a guy with a cap hit of 7.5M per season playing every game hoping he is leaving soon is an OK situation, well I just don't see it. Has the potential to be pretty bad. Would think dealing him for some solid NHL players, some prospects, and a pick would be much better, no?

Not saying what he will actually do, just what makes sense to do IMO. Obviously his strategy of waiting other GM's out didn't pan out, so what is his next move? Continue to wait? Sounds brilliant..

fingerbang
07-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Guess we are just going to agree to disagree, then..

If you think a team being terrible, and a guy with a cap hit of 7.5M per season playing every game hoping he is leaving soon is an OK situation, well I just don't see it. Has the potential to be pretty bad. Would think dealing him for some solid NHL players, some prospects, and a pick would be much better, no?

Well, according to the rumors that I take with a grain of salt, Carolina didn't want to trade Skinner and San Jose didn't want to move Couture and the Rangers won't budge on Derek ****in Stepan, lmao. And Howson's the idiot for not trading the former number one pick that's under team control for six more years?

Nash situation is not a problem. Columbus sucks with or without him. They can be patient. A number one pick doesn't kill them.

Obviously he's not in as much of a rush as you think he is because he would have moved him at the deadline if that was the case.

ShadyOne
07-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Well, according to the rumors that I take with a grain of salt, Carolina didn't want to trade Skinner and San Jose didn't want to move Couture and the Rangers won't budge on Derek ****in Stepan, lmao. And Howson's the idiot for not trading the former number one pick that's under team control for six more years?

Nash situation is not a problem. Columbus sucks with or without him. They can be patient. A number one pick doesn't kill them.

Obviously he's not in as much of a rush as you think he is because he would have moved him at the deadline if that was the case.

There you go again, quoting me and then saying what I didn't say. Never said he was an idiot, you did.

And you talk about Stepan like he's garbage. Kid is 22 years old, already shown he can play in this league. Put up 50 points last season, is already a legit 2nd line center at worst. Good 2 way player, tough, smart, not afraid of big spots. Still can get better, IMO. He isn't garbage at all. If they deal him, then they create another huge hole. Doesn't make sense. If he gets better, gets into the 60+ point level, could be one of the better 2-way players out there, and still so young. Who steps in to fill that hole?

And why the hell would San Jose deal Couture? That is ridiculous for Howson to expect. Kid is 23, a center, and could be as good or better than Nash in a year or so. Put up back to back 30 goal seasons, likely to get better. Sorry, but you don't deal that kind of player, you hold on to him. Wait for this season, see how he progresses, then lock him up long term.

fingerbang
07-22-2012, 01:00 PM
There you go again, quoting me and then saying what I didn't say. Never said he was an idiot, you did.

And you talk about Stepan like he's garbage. Kid is 22 years old, already shown he can play in this league. Put up 50 points last season, is already a legit 2nd line center at worst. Good 2 way player, tough, smart, not afraid of big spots. Still can get better, IMO. He isn't garbage at all. If they deal him, then they create another huge hole. Doesn't make sense. If he gets better, gets into the 60+ point level, could be one of the better 2-way players out there, and still so young. Who steps in to fill that hole?

And why the hell would San Jose deal Couture? That is ridiculous for Howson to expect. Kid is 23, a center, and could be as good or better than Nash in a year or so. Put up back to back 30 goal seasons, likely to get better. Sorry, but you don't deal that kind of player, you hold on to him. Wait for this season, see how he progresses, then lock him up long term.

Here's the three players you hear rumored from teh Rangers:

Del Zotto - a player they don't want because they just traded for an offensive defenseman

Erixon - a prospect they don't want because they just traded for an offensive defenseman, lol

Dubinsky - a player who will become a free agent shortly

Then he asks about Stepan, a projected second liner, Sather tells him no. Everyone wants Nash but no one wants to pony up.

It makes zero sense for Howson to rush Nash out of town for a bad return.

fingerbang
07-22-2012, 01:04 PM
It's just insane delusions from Rangers fans. They want Nash because he's really good but they don't want to trade away anything good.

ShadyOne
07-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Here's the three players you hear rumored from teh Rangers:

Del Zotto - a player they don't want because they just traded for an offensive defenseman

Erixon - a prospect they don't want because they just traded for an offensive defenseman, lol

Dubinsky - a player who will become a free agent shortly

Then he asks about Stepan, a projected second liner, Sather tells him no. Everyone wants Nash but no one wants to pony up.

It makes zero sense for Howson to rush Nash out of town for a bad return.

So let me get this straight..

Because a team has a good offensive D-Man, they don't want another? Either to keep, so they have more than one to roll out there, or to flip to another team for something else they want? And MDZ was tied for 11th among D-Men, tied for 25th overall in plus/minus, which says he was pretty good defensively as well. Yeah, that kind of player isn't good to have.

And Dubinsky isn't a FA soon, he is signed for this upcoming season, and then 2 more.

fingerbang
07-22-2012, 01:20 PM
So let me get this straight..

Because a team has a good offensive D-Man, they don't want another? Either to keep, so they have more than one to roll out there, or to flip to another team for something else they want? And MDZ was tied for 11th among D-Men, tied for 25th overall in plus/minus, which says he was pretty good defensively as well. Yeah, that kind of player isn't good to have.

And Dubinsky isn't a FA soon, he is signed for this upcoming season, and then 2 more.

Yes. Howson has come out and said that he doesn't need d, he needs forwards. You're completely incapable of looking at the situation from their perspective.

ShadyOne
07-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Yes. Howson has come out and said that he doesn't need d, he needs forwards. You're completely incapable of looking at the situation from their perspective.

Not really. Actually, you are incapable of talking properly to people. Or responding to the things people call you out on that you say, that make no sense whatsoever. Tired of going around in circles, I'm not going to feed you anymore.

Agree to disagree, we are done here. Have a nice day..

fingerbang
07-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Not really. Actually, you are incapable of talking properly to people. Or responding to the things people call you out on that you say, that make no sense whatsoever. Tired of going around in circles, I'm not going to feed you anymore.

lol, you're done because you can't argue with a fact. Howson doesn't want a package centered around a young offensive defenseman because he just traded for a young offensive defenseman.

bsi
07-22-2012, 02:08 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/snider_just_phil_of_it_1ozkjOJcUoVuvEZWlIosLJ
Here's a column by Bus Stop Larry that shows where Howson's head is at. I agree with Brooks on t
his, we aren't trading our 2nd line center who's making 875 grand. We need quality young players to offset the salaries of Nash, Gaborik, Richards, Lundqvist etc. There's a deal in NY for Howson, but he has to get real and do what most GM's do, trade an established player for future players and picks. He'll never get true value for Nash if he insists on getting Stepan back from us because his skill, potential and cap value is too high to send him and a host of other players to Columbus. Howson has to hit a home run as I've said all along but he also has to be patient and rebuild, he can't trade one player and hope to get a playoff team. If I'm Howson I ask for Dubinsky, Hagelin, McIlrath and a 1st. That gives him two NHL players, one in Dubinsky who I would say would be a steal for Columbus, he'd be able to go back to center and get as much ice as he wants,Hagelin who had a pretty good year with us once he was called up, a big D man to play in a year or so, and a pick to get some future help.

Garden Faithful
07-22-2012, 02:30 PM

I think you're missing what Fingerbang is saying and taking it the wrong way. All he is suggesting is that everyone keeps coming on here and saying they want Nash but they don't want to trade any pieces which is fine it's just unrealistic. He's comparing Stepan to Couture and Skinner to prove a point that they are better than Stepan which isn't slighting Stepan at all to be honest and it's not as much of piece to move as it would be for Carolina or San Jose. With all that being said I don't want any part of Nash and don't want to trade away for him. I am however all for signing Doan.

nyr2002nyr
07-22-2012, 09:56 PM
It's called the way I write and you would be better off taking some English classes. ;)

1. Weber was a perfect fit for the Rangers, the Rangers went after him and Weber denied wanting to play in Manhattan.

2. Getting a 35/36 Craig MacTavish for faceoffs is one thing, bringing in Doan a 35/36 year old Doan for his role is a mistake.

Those are my two stances and am one for one being the Rangers went after Weber and hoping to be two for two by not bringing in Doan.

Meawhile, you're two for two on being a prick.

Ahh the spelling police!!!! Sorry didn see the badge

Weber was the prefect fit for just about any team though not just us.

Craig MacTavish was a 4th liner who was ment for faceoffs and Doan will be a 2nd line/PP/PK player So no need to compare the 2 as Craig MacTavish only broke 50 points ONCE in his entire career playing with some stacked teams in Edmonton