PDA

View Full Version : Playing 25 games in the NBA vs an NCAA season

heyman321
07-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Most people here who think Lin has been overpaid solely based on POTENTIAL, have got me thinking this:

If he can average about 17 and 7 in whatever amount of games he was playing before he was shut down against NBA caliber talent, including dropping 38 on the Lakers, then like what 25/14 on the Mavs a couple days later, why does that justify saying "you don't pay players based on potential".

Meanwhile, you have college players playing average around what, 30 games?, who are playing against other college players whom 95% wouldn't sniff getting drafted, let alone making an impact if they are indeed drafted. So why is it that nobody questions when lottery picks or first round picks are paid $15-20 million dollar rookie contracts solely based on POTENTIAL?

Just to be clear, I'm on the side that you do pay for potential, what else are you going to pay for? Most good players are already locked up long term. Lin averaged 17/7 playing half a rookie season. Yeah, he got dominated by Lebron and Wade, but that's why they dominated the Thunder and are NBA champions. So I am asking why a **** ton of people here think that a player like Lin couldn't improve to justify his contract (besides his enormous marketing potential) but a Michael Kidd-Gilchrist or Anthony Davis or Bradley Beal can?

nicegoing
07-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Will Anthony Davis be making as much money as Lin will? No. They don't give $25 mill /3 year contracts to rookies.

/thread.

Toastyy
07-20-2012, 12:43 AM
Hate to burst your bubble but Lin averaged 2.6 points and 1.4 assists his rookie season...

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/4299/jeremy-lin

49GiantWarriors
07-20-2012, 12:59 AM
They are paying for his sudden popularity and market value

heyman321
07-20-2012, 01:19 AM
Hate to burst your bubble but Lin averaged 2.6 points and 1.4 assists his rookie season...

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/4299/jeremy-lin

I know that last year was his second season, but it was "technically" his rookie season playing-time wise. No bubble was burst.

Trueblue2
07-20-2012, 02:55 AM
I don't think "technically" is the word you're looking for there, and paying 8 mil a season based on potential deduced from 25 games is a gross overpayment.

thekmp211
07-20-2012, 04:42 AM
so many lin haters already. get over it guys, he didn't get overpaid. rockets didn't even come close to offering him as much as they could have.

LAKobeBryant
07-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Only reason he had like 10 excellent games was because teams didn't know who he was and had no footage of his game play for example lakers game he teared them apart. Then after teams like Miami play against his weaknesses he played horrible because teams found ways to stop him. I don't think he's trash but certainly not a all star

Max.This
07-20-2012, 04:51 PM
He got paid. Get over it. Ppl are so damn pathetic, quit hating because if he was on your team putting up the numbers he did on the Knicks you'd be defending him right now.

Toastyy
07-20-2012, 08:49 PM
I know that last year was his second season, but it was "technically" his rookie season playing-time wise. No bubble was burst.

So until they get star minutes they aren't in the league? If this was the case a lot of players "rookie seasons" would look as good of not better then lins

Delusional
07-20-2012, 09:17 PM
I think the only reason people are having a tizzy fit about Lin's contract is that third year where he'll make close to $15 mill. But his first year is only worth $5 mill. And for a guy that showed some serious potential in a 25 game sample, that's a pretty reasonable annual salary. Could he be worth that $15 mill by the time Year 3 rolls around? Yes. It's no guarantee, but it's possible.

If you look at it that way, it's really not that bad.