PDA

View Full Version : Beside market size, do players want to play for big name teams because of management?

NYSpirit1
07-19-2012, 11:06 PM
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21112339/kevin-love-happy-have-shorter-contract-timberwolves-still

This really has brought forth a point. Teams like the Lakers, Celts, Clips, Knicks, Nets and Heat really put the pedal to the meddle and make the extra effort to keep their stars happy and continually bring in talent.

I don't feel, besides market size, that the small market teams do. Part of the Cavs, Magic, Hornets and Nuggets problem over the years was they didn't do enough to surround their stars with talent to keep them content. Continually they made bad moves for overpaid players. I don't know what it is, but for some reason none of these management teams properly surrounded LeBron, Dwight, Melo and Chris Paul.

And for some reason, the big market teams always make the extra effort to make their stars happy.

I feel like Love is bound to demand a trade to somewhere in the 14-15 season.

b@llhog24
07-19-2012, 11:25 PM
Wow, a thread for NYSpirit1 that makes sense. :speechless: But this is JB's type of stuff.

rhino17
07-19-2012, 11:28 PM
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21112339/kevin-love-happy-have-shorter-contract-timberwolves-still

This really has brought forth a point. Teams like the Lakers, Celts, Clips, Knicks, Nets and Heat really put the pedal to the meddle and make the extra effort to keep their stars happy and continually bring in talent.

Define "continually" because I'm pretty sure the Clips, Nets, and Heat have done this one time

THINKBLUE15
07-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Define "continually" because I'm pretty sure the Clips, Nets, and Heat have done this one time

I was gonna say the same thing.

Trueblue2
07-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Wow, a thread for NYSpirit1 that makes sense. :speechless: But this is JB's type of stuff.

This^

Why am I not surprised that in 3 replies that somebody has already said this?

bholly
07-19-2012, 11:38 PM
If you asked somebody to name the teams that have almost defined 'inept management' over the last decade or so, there's a pretty good chance the Clipps and Knicks are the first two they come up with, so I'm surprised to see them on your list. There is no basis at all for thinking players gravitate towards those teams because of the management.

I definitely think management can play a role - the Lakers track record of building teams, or Cuban's money and loyalty to his star, or someone like Jay-Z being involved all make those teams more appealing to players. Sure.

But in some cases it's just a matter of being a big market.

SanAntonioSpurs23
07-19-2012, 11:46 PM
It all comes down to money. It's easy to surround your "star" player when you have a lot of money to spend, and a attractive place to play. LA, NY,Brooklyn, and Boston attract players not only because they are "basketball cities", but stars know they can make even more money through endorsements.

Very few teams can build championship teams through the draft. Take the Spurs for instance. It took two number 1 picks, a French PG taken in the 20's (draft), a Argentinian taken very late 2nd round, and a undrafted player that floated around the league (Bowen).

OKC has done a nice job building via draft. It's very rare, and unless a small market teams gets lucky like these two teams they can never compete. Sucks tbh

thekmp211
07-19-2012, 11:47 PM
lmao. yeah that's why they all come to new york, great management has been their calling card.

CoffeeJanitor
07-19-2012, 11:55 PM
Big market teams have it easy. There is a very small margin of error for small market teams.

IndyRealist
07-20-2012, 12:03 AM
It all comes down to money. It's easy to surround your "star" player when you have a lot of money to spend, and a attractive place to play. LA, NY,Brooklyn, and Boston attract players not only because they are "basketball cities", but stars know they can make even more money through endorsements.

Very few teams can build championship teams through the draft. Take the Spurs for instance. It took two number 1 picks, a French PG taken in the 20's (draft), a Argentinian taken very late 2nd round, and a undrafted player that floated around the league (Bowen).

OKC has done a nice job building via draft. It's very rare, and unless a small market teams gets lucky like these two teams they can never compete. Sucks tbh

This.

Big market teams have more money to throw around, so they can both afford more top players and pay for mistakes to go away. Hence their track record looks better, they're considered "better management", and even more players want to play there.

For small market teams, one or two bad mid level deals can derail a team for half a decade. Large market teams just pay money for those guys to go away.

Max.This
07-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Yup, the knicks treated Lin real good. Dolan is a fruit, and we have **** management. We spend money on players that don't fit and are at the back ends of their career.

passittome
07-20-2012, 04:31 AM
One big thing with yor examples is players egos. Dwight cp3 melo and lbj all have signature shoes and top of their respective positions. I think of it more as players looking for best place to market themselves. Orl, clev, and no didn't help their stars much but Denver wasn't so bad. They tried to surround melo with a top pg (billups/ai) and their role player pickups were talented (afflalo, bird man when he was leading Nba blocker/min, Lawson). His case was more about the CBa and money amount in contract. Not sure what happened that summer, he was stoked about the extension then suddenly only wanted nyk. In terms of management I always thought that port, pacers, and okc were thought of as great fos but never attract big names in fa. Maybe it something to with non successful teams (not small market: see spurs) thinking they struck gold with a star and just filling the roster with the hopes on one person while big markets try to stack their teams with big names stars + ring chasing role players/vets.

Ex. You think lakers and some think Kobe/gasol/Bynum but there's other greats like shaq/magic/kareem because they are a historical franchise. But with nets u think deron Williams and jayz or mavs u think only dirk.

daboywonder2002
07-20-2012, 03:27 PM
its really hard to say because if it was all about big market teams, the clippers and the knicks wouldnt have sucked for all these years. the clippers were the laughingstock of the league. they turned things around via trade. trading for sam casell, trading for chris paul. Look at the bulls, what free agents have they signed besides boozer? they got rose, noah and deng through the draft.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-20-2012, 03:30 PM
The Knicks have been known for their incredible management.

sep11ie
07-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Fail thread

lakerboy
07-20-2012, 03:46 PM
The answer is no. If players wanted good management, nobody would ever go to New York.

lakerboy
07-20-2012, 03:48 PM
This.

Big market teams have more money to throw around, so they can both afford more top players and pay for mistakes to go away. Hence their track record looks better, they're considered "better management", and even more players want to play there.

For small market teams, one or two bad mid level deals can derail a team for half a decade. Large market teams just pay money for those guys to go away.

That is not true. The Lakers are only the good managed big market team, and I am sick of people not giving our management enough credit. Instead, guys like you just say we're in a bigger market. If your statement held any weight, why is it that the Clippers and Knicks have not been competitive?

AsfanSince99
07-20-2012, 04:26 PM

I don't feel, besides market size, that the small market teams do. Part of the Cavs, Magic, Hornets and Nuggets problem over the years was they didn't do enough to surround their stars with talent to keep them content. Continually they made bad moves for overpaid players. I don't know what it is, but for some reason none of these management teams properly surrounded LeBron, Dwight, Melo and Chris Paul.

And for some reason, the big market teams always make the extra effort to make their stars happy.

I feel like Love is bound to demand a trade to somewhere in the 14-15 season.

Oh, you mean like Dolan and the Knicks? lol
How many NBA championships have the Knicks won in the last 30 yrs being in a big market? How many do you think fatMelo will deliver to NY? ZEEEERO.

I think the Sacramento Kings proved this to be a myth with Chris Webber. Cwebb wasn't surrounded by superstars and they won in a small market.

daboywonder2002
07-20-2012, 06:08 PM
other than the 2000 orlando magic(grant hill , mccrady) and 2011 heat(bosh, james). and 2011 knicks(amare) what big market team has been able to land young big time FREE AGENTS under the age of 35??

chicago- only had boozer. rose, deng, noah were via trade

boston- garnett and ray allen were via trade

brooklyn- deron, joe johnson, gerald wallace were via trade

thekmp211
07-20-2012, 06:10 PM
orlando and miami aren't big market teams in terms of market size. miami might be in the top half. orlando certainly isn't.

Lake_Show2416
07-20-2012, 06:24 PM
The answer is no. If players wanted good management, nobody would ever go to New York.

This

ZebraCity916
07-20-2012, 07:24 PM
I guess you can say management because crappy management more than likely wouldn't be able to put together a contending team.

Market size and if said team is close to getting a title. That's pretty much all that matters.

Arch Stanton
07-20-2012, 09:34 PM
NYSpirit1 wins the award for 2012 thread troll.

kblo247
07-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Well the biggest free agent signing LA had had since Shaq was Artest. LA is prime example of management, by making the big trades and moves necessary to win. Fact is though La has had to behave that way and stay relevant every decade because that is the only business the Buss family has unlike other owners who treat their team like side projects or toys and then get pissed later when they actually evaluate them