PDA

View Full Version : Bulls will likely let Asik walk

waveycrockett
07-18-2012, 11:22 PM
****** ‏@******
Bulls Unlikely To Match Rockets' Offer To Omer Asik --

Evidence is mounting that the Bulls will not match Houston’s offer sheet to Omer Asik.

Perhaps as a fail-safe, Chicago has expressed interest in Darko Milicic, among other lower-salaried big men in free agency.

The Rockets have extended a three-year, $25.1 million offer, which contains a third-year salary of close to $14.9 million.

If the Bulls were to match the offer, they would be subject to a luxury tax for the first time for at least next season and 2014-15.

Via K.C. Johnson/Chicago Tribune

Read more: http://basketball.******.com/wiretap/222479/Bulls_Unlikely_To_Match_Rockets_Offer_To_Asik#ixzz 212F6NKfD
wow can you say terrible offseason

Gone are:
Cj Watson
Kyle Korver
Ronnie Brewer
Asik

HOZ THE KNICK
07-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Houston is on that ******** i don't blame chicago #poisonpill

Aust
07-18-2012, 11:23 PM
He isn't worth the money though. Good for them

waveycrockett
07-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Daryl Morey is on bath salts paying Asik that much

koetravis
07-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Will affect Houston's cap hit by 8.3 mil each year so not really a big deal for the Rocket's.

D12 fan
07-18-2012, 11:28 PM
This also makes a Dwight deal less likely,Houston would be crazy to pay Asik 8mil to backup Dwight/Bynum.Orlando/LA/Cleveland should make a 3 way deal.

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Houston now has to pay Lin & Asik. You know what that means!!!! :dance:

Ch0ZSeN1
07-18-2012, 11:29 PM

Lmao so true. Lin to Asik! Lol

SportsFanatic10
07-18-2012, 11:30 PM
yeah probably the right move. no way you want to be paying him 15 mil for that 3rd season.

HOZ THE KNICK
07-18-2012, 11:31 PM

in 3 yrs asik and lin will count for 30 mil, he will laugh now and cry later.

Joker55
07-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Houston overpaid, but man, the Bulls are gonna be crap this year with Rose out.

HOZ THE KNICK
07-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Will affect Houston's cap hit by 8.3 mil each year so not really a big deal for the Rocket's.

larry coon said those statements are false.

EDUTEXANS
07-18-2012, 11:36 PM
This also makes a Dwight deal less likely,Houston would be crazy to pay Asik 8mil to backup Dwight/Bynum.Orlando/LA/Cleveland should make a 3 way deal.
I think it huts the chances, but that's a good thing. I would hate to take all Orlando bad contracts, this way we can only take one or two.

no they're true

as for Chocago, probably the right move, it's a lot of money for a Noah's backup, and plus, they have Gibson to backup both C and PF, and if they get Milicic for a cheap price, they still have one of the best frontcourts in the NBA

justinnum1
07-18-2012, 11:36 PM
i think they should resign him. best backup center in the league imo

koetravis
07-18-2012, 11:39 PM

Well he would be lying. Houston has to pay Asik 5 , 5.2, and 15, but his cap hit will be 8.3 mil per year.

Losoway
07-18-2012, 11:42 PM
lmao @ you putting letting asik walk as one of the reasons bulls are having a terrible off season

fail

seikou8
07-18-2012, 11:43 PM
so who has bulls as a top 5 seed now ?

RC3
07-18-2012, 11:45 PM
They got their point guard and center. Two of the hardest positions to fill.

HOZ THE KNICK
07-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Well he would be lying. Houston has to pay Asik 5 , 5.2, and 15, but his cap hit will be 8.3 mil per year.

how is that possible?

EDUTEXANS
07-18-2012, 11:51 PM
how is that possible?

Gilbert Arenas' rule

bears88
07-19-2012, 12:01 AM
well everybody is forget that Deng's contract is going to expire soon and the Bulls are going to amnesty Boozer as soon as Deng's contract will be off the book so that's like 24+ million off the Books. So this might be one rough season for the Bulls.

Bulls_fan90
07-19-2012, 12:10 AM
I love how once the Bulls role player leave they are considered GREAT players, yet when they play for Chicago they are considered overpayed scrubs.

Joker55
07-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Depends on the player. I think most would agree Asik is at the very least a good backup with a lot of potential.

Houston shelled out way too much dough for him though.

bbcmillionaire
07-19-2012, 12:14 AM
I love how once the Bulls role player leave they are considered GREAT players, yet when they play for Chicago they are considered overpayed scrubs.

Hey theres no logic in the NBA forum lol
Asik is a product of thibs system

FriedTofuz
07-19-2012, 12:18 AM
bulls will suck next season. They might be lucky to even make a 6th seed seeing as they have lost a lot of bench depht and will not have rose until after All star break.

waveycrockett
07-19-2012, 12:21 AM

Nobody ever said dude was a scrub he is def going to be overpaid tho.

EDUTEXANS
07-19-2012, 12:23 AM
bulls will suck next season. They might be lucky to even make a 6th seed seeing as they have lost a lot of bench depht and will not have rose until after All star break.

is going to be out this long? man... but they have Hinrich and Teague to run the point with a great frontcourt, if they sign Lee (have no idea if it's possible btw) I think they can still be a top-5 team in the east and when Rose comes back, they will make it to the 3rd place, IMO

popo85
07-19-2012, 12:25 AM
Good move Chicago not overpaying, they will still have the trio of Gibson-Boozer-Noah at the post.

KingPosey
07-19-2012, 12:30 AM
So Houston did the exact same thing with Asik's deal they did with Lin's? Or am i missing something?

EDUTEXANS
07-19-2012, 12:31 AM
So Houston did the exact same thing with Asik's deal they did with Lin's? Or am i missing something?

yes, exactly

rockets-fan
07-19-2012, 12:41 AM
how is that possible?

The Gilbert arenas rule.

We pay him 5,5.2,15

but cap wise it will only be 8.3,8.3,8.3

Thats just how it is. Morey is not an idiot that is going to have Asik and Lin take up $30mil cap wise on just them. 8.3 is not bad considering how many few big men there are.

Gators123
07-19-2012, 12:47 AM
Can't blame them for not matching that contract, but they're definitely losing depth.

jam
07-19-2012, 01:02 AM
in 3 yrs asik and lin will count for 30 mil, he will laugh now and cry later.

No, more like $16.6 combined.

jam
07-19-2012, 01:06 AM

Pretty much. Houston's cap hit is going to be zero in year 3. $16.6 in year 3 for both players combined.

I've criticized Asik's contract as well, but $8.3 is hardly a fortune for a young 7 footer with the ability to rebound and defend.

JayHunter
07-19-2012, 01:26 AM
I wouldn't either. I can here it now "Lin Alley Ooops, Asik dropped the pass"

bearadonisdna
07-19-2012, 01:31 AM

Gone are:
Cj Watson
Kyle Korver
Ronnie Brewer
Asik

How do u figure? U said it urself its too much for asik. The bulls havent lost anything from their starting lineup. In fact upgraded the pg position.

Losing some bench guys isnt catastrophic especially when Fa isnt over. And bulls just added a shooter with size.

rockets-fan
07-19-2012, 01:32 AM
I wouldn't either. I can here it now "Lin Alley Ooops, Asik dropped the pass"

Good thing we have Parsons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpljvUyke1s
:clap::clap::clap::cool::cool::cool::cool:

bearadonisdna
07-19-2012, 01:35 AM

Gone are:
Cj Watson
Kyle Korver
Ronnie Brewer
Asik

In is:
Hinrich
Teague
Radmonovic

Bulls are closing the gap.
And i didnt mentio how Butler has been promoted.

waveycrockett
07-19-2012, 01:49 AM
In is:
Hinrich
Teague
Radmonovic

I wont bring up Brewer because I expect Butler to be better

Teague is what? Fringe 1RD rookie and very raw. He was a headcase at Kentucky what exactly are you expecting out of him? Radmonvic is terrible. Kyle Korver is head and shoulders better than him. Hinrich is a slight upgrade Watson I'll give you that but its close and you guys still haven't fixed your SG problem and Asik was a big part of your rotation of bigs. Nothing out there now compares to Asik he was solid.

koetravis
07-19-2012, 01:50 AM

Teague is what? Fringe 1RD rookie and very raw. He was a headcase at Kentucky what exactly are you expecting out of him? Radmonvic is terrible. Kyle Korver is head and shoulders better than him. Hinrich is an upgrade Watson I'll give you that but its close and you guys still haven't fixed your SG problem and Asik was a big part of your rotation of centers. Nothing out there now compares to Asik he was solid.

Well they have had a better offseason than your Nets have.

eternal slumber
In is:
Hinrich
Teague
Radmonovic

i agree with an upgrade with Teague and Hinrich but Radmanovic, i don't agree with him.

sunsfan88
He's kinda like how Gortat used to be. Stuck as a backup.

eternal slumber
07-19-2012, 01:51 AM

nope, Nets had a nice offseason, resigning D-Will is always a good offseason.

waveycrockett
07-19-2012, 01:57 AM

Yes I forgot we have no one who compares to the Big-3 of Lin, Lamb and Martin

Kyben36
07-19-2012, 01:58 AM
as far as the chicago fans know The rules state we have 3 days to match when the offer is hand dilivered to Chicago bulls office, but we havnt gotten it yet, questioning whether or not the Rockets have pull the offer ???

koetravis
07-19-2012, 01:58 AM
nope, Nets had a nice offseason, resigning D-Will is always a good offseason.

I think D-Will is vastly over-rated. And they over paid for Brook Lopez, attained the worst contract in the league, and they also missed out on Dwight Howard so yeah, I would say they have had one of the worst offseasons in years.

koetravis
07-19-2012, 01:59 AM
as far as the chicago fans know The rules state we have 3 days to match when the offer is hand dilivered to Chicago bulls office, but we havnt gotten it yet, questioning whether or not the Rockets have pull the offer ???

Rocket's had to waive players in order to clear out room so Asik will/should be signing the offer sheet on Friday.

Kyben36
07-19-2012, 02:06 AM
Rocket's had to waive players in order to clear out room so Asik will/should be signing the offer sheet on Friday.

Either way most fans agree that what you guys offered is to much to give to a backup C. if he starts for you guys maybe the contract would be worth it, but coming in behind Noah isnt worht 15 mil in the 3rd year. His offense also has a long way to go

koetravis
07-19-2012, 02:08 AM
Either way most fans agree that what you guys offered is to much to give to a backup C. if he starts for you guys maybe the contract would be worth it, but coming in behind Noah isnt worht 15 mil in the 3rd year. His offense also has a long way to go

Agreed. He should start considering we have no legit center on this roster. And if he doesn't pan out, year 3 will be a nice trade chip for a team looking to clear cap space.

naps
07-19-2012, 02:22 AM
Daryl Morey is probably the most overrated GM of all time. 15 million a year for a back up center? Not to mention 15 million for Lin, both in 3rd year! WoW!

However, the Bulls need him. Their owner should be able to go into the luxury tax along with LA Buss and Dolan. But Reinsdorf is historically cheap.

BklyNyk
07-19-2012, 02:26 AM
Good for the Bulls. Rockets smoking that pole right now lol.

WhiteSoxGod
07-19-2012, 03:15 AM
Daryl Morey is probably the most overrated GM of all time. 15 million a year for a back up center? Not to mention 15 million for Lin, both in 3rd year! WoW!

However, the Bulls need him. Their owner should be able to go into the luxury tax along with LA Buss and Dolan. But Reinsdorf is historically cheap.

Stupidity is a disease knowledge is the cure. That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever read, everyone who read this is now more stupid for having done so.

1st, we will be paying him $8 million a year not $15 million per year. 2nd, you have to over-bid to sign restricted free agents, if not their original teams would match. 3rd, EVEN WITH LIN AND ASIK the Rockets are still around $19 million UNDER the cap. We have a massive amount of players with non-guaranteed contracts: Shaun Livingston, Courtney Fortson, Josh Harrellson, Jerome Jordan, Jon Leuer, Diamon Simpson and Greg Smith. (They waived Leuer and Harrellson yesterday)

ALSO, remember we still have Kevin Martin who has a $14 million expiring contract that the Magic would take back in any deal. So the speculation this would have ANY effect on the Howard deal is asinine and just shows how little anyone that says it really is.

PEOPLE PLEASE GO RESEARCH BEFORE POSTING THINGS. THAT WAY YOU DON'T MAKE YOURSELF LOOK STUPID. GEEZ, HOW IGNORANT CAN FANS REALLY BE???

DitchDat
07-19-2012, 03:17 AM
It's just too much money for him and the Bulls already owe so much salary... It sucks but its the right move.

WhiteSoxGod
07-19-2012, 03:26 AM
The Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin offer sheets won't affect the Rockets' discussions for Howard, tweets Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
Also told Rockets, even if they unexpectedly land Lin AND Omer Asik, still think they've got Dwight trade offers (yes, plural) to please ORL

So like I said, it will have NO EFFECT on Dwight Howard trade for the Rockets.

NYKnicksAllDay
07-19-2012, 03:45 AM
I don't like this poison pill rule. It makes no sense for the team that would be retaining their own player to have their cap hit be 5, 5.2, then 15 when the team that offer's the contract is 8.3 each year. It really is unfair for the Bulls in this situation. It should be one or the other. Either both teams should have the 5, 5.2, 15 cap hit. Or both teams get the 8.3 cap hit. Makes no sense for the team to be penalized so much in the third year if they retain their own player, but the team that signs him away from the original team would not. And no, I'm not just saying this because the Knicks lost Lin. I was just not aware of the rule before these two specific situations.

Kyben36
07-19-2012, 04:09 AM
Stupidity is a disease knowledge is the cure. That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever read, everyone who read this is now more stupid for having done so.

1st, we will be paying him $8 million a year not $15 million per year. 2nd, you have to over-bid to sign restricted free agents, if not their original teams would match. 3rd, EVEN WITH LIN AND ASIK the Rockets are still around $19 million UNDER the cap. We have a massive amount of players with non-guaranteed contracts: Shaun Livingston, Courtney Fortson, Josh Harrellson, Jerome Jordan, Jon Leuer, Diamon Simpson and Greg Smith. (They waived Leuer and Harrellson yesterday)

ALSO, remember we still have Kevin Martin who has a $14 million expiring contract that the Magic would take back in any deal. So the speculation this would have ANY effect on the Howard deal is asinine and just shows how little anyone that says it really is.

PEOPLE PLEASE GO RESEARCH BEFORE POSTING THINGS. THAT WAY YOU DON'T MAKE YOURSELF LOOK STUPID. GEEZ, HOW IGNORANT CAN FANS REALLY BE???

No you wont, research before you insult someone

He stated clearly 3rd year, which is true, the league rules mandate that Asik can only make 5 mil a year his first two years, why IDK. but the final year he will make 15 mil, and people want to act like a 15mil expiring is such a great trade chip but i disagree, you cant get much for just cap. trades like Gasol have only happened once,

Also, Lin is the same contract also, how will a GM react when to players signifiganly increase contract size in the same year, could be intersting.

WhiteSoxGod
07-19-2012, 04:16 AM
No you wont, research before you insult someone

He stated clearly 3rd year, which is true, the league rules mandate that Asik can only make 5 mil a year his first two years, why IDK. but the final year he will make 15 mil, and people want to act like a 15mil expiring is such a great trade chip but i disagree, you cant get much for just cap. trades like Gasol have only happened once,

Also, Lin is the same contract also, how will a GM react when to players signifiganly increase contract size in the same year, could be intersting.

LOL again like I already mentioned I was speaking in terms of cap hit. Due to the CBA they get to average the cap hit over the 3 years which is $8 million dollars. His actual pay is irrelevant, it's the cap hit that matters. Chicago would not have this luxury, their cap hit is equal to the yearly salary.

I was responding to an insult of the Rockets GM, he's not here to do it himself. It's ridiculous how many uneducated fans there are in this forum. The CBA isn't really that long, just read it.

SouthSideRookie
07-19-2012, 04:21 AM
LOL again like I already mentioned I was speaking in terms of cap hit. Due to the CBA they get to average the cap hit over the 3 years which is $8 million dollars. His actual pay is irrelevant, it's the cap hit that matters. Chicago would not have this luxury, their cap hit is equal to the yearly salary.

I was responding to an insult of the Rockets GM, he's not here to do it himself. It's ridiculous how many uneducated fans there are in this forum. The CBA isn't really that long, just read it.

I literally see people here explaining ten times a day and many still don't get it. It's pretty straightforward.

YoungOne
07-19-2012, 04:27 AM

wait... what..?

BklyNyk
07-19-2012, 04:50 AM
Rockets are ONLY paying Asik 8 mil per year. That's a bargain, friends.

truplayer199
07-19-2012, 05:08 AM
I don't like this poison pill rule. It makes no sense for the team that would be retaining their own player to have their cap hit be 5, 5.2, then 15 when the team that offer's the contract is 8.3 each year. It really is unfair for the Bulls in this situation. It should be one or the other. Either both teams should have the 5, 5.2, 15 cap hit. Or both teams get the 8.3 cap hit. Makes no sense for the team to be penalized so much in the third year if they retain their own player, but the team that signs him away from the original team would not. And no, I'm not just saying this because the Knicks lost Lin. I was just not aware of the rule before these two specific situations.

Agree 100%. This rule doesn't make any sense. The home team normally would have an advantage to keep their player, but this is clearly not the case with this rule.

theheatles
07-19-2012, 08:52 AM
korver and watson were ridic overrated but losing brewer and asik will hurt

Shmontaine
07-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Question for the CBA know-it-alls...

the third year of the contract is 15mil in pay, but 8.3 million in cap hit. if the rockets try to trade either lin or asik, what's the figure? do they have $32 million in expiring contracts, or 16? does the team looking to add either of those two trade? an 8 mil contract, or 16?

I figured i'd ask since you guys understand the cba so well... thanks for your education in advance...

Brink182
07-19-2012, 09:16 AM
if we get Darko it won't be so bad, but that backloaded contract sucks the big one. Good luck HOU with that cap situation

DitchDat
07-19-2012, 09:22 AM

Agreed. It gets harder for teams to retain restricted free agents.

Handsof12
07-19-2012, 09:54 AM
If you look at it, Houston will have a lot of young pieces on their roster and a lot of talent.
Asik
Jones
White
Lamb
Lin
P. Patterson
And I'm sure they will sign a veteran or two.
I think they should have started over at this point. Being a team that is over 500 and in the lottery is a bad place to be.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-19-2012, 09:58 AM

Welcome to the life of a big market team. There is no winning.

superior
07-19-2012, 10:21 AM

youve obviously never watched asik play....hes solid on defense but hes borderline ******** on offense, he has butter fingers and often looks lost, definitly NOT the best backup center in the league, and NOT worth what the rockets are paying

fadedmario
07-19-2012, 10:34 AM
You never know. Asik can play man. If he ends up being a starter he might turn into something special. He's really good around the hoop and plays great D.

This contract could actually be a steal.

I know Lin and Asik don't scream championship - but don't forget at one time on here half this forum was comparing Lin to Rose.

It's a gamble that the Rockets just might win. Too early to say they are screwing up.

Dwight isn't going to the Rockets anyway - he's a punk that has to be on a flashy team to see his name in the news everyday.

fadedmario
07-19-2012, 10:35 AM
And I think Royce White will be the steal of this draft. If he starts he could be rookie of the year.

BullsBearsSox11
07-19-2012, 10:46 AM

Teague is what? Fringe 1RD rookie and very raw. He was a headcase at Kentucky what exactly are you expecting out of him? Radmonvic is terrible. Kyle Korver is head and shoulders better than him. Hinrich is a slight upgrade Watson I'll give you that but its close and you guys still haven't fixed your SG problem and Asik was a big part of your rotation of bigs. Nothing out there now compares to Asik he was solid.

You do realize Asik averaged 4 Rebounds and 3 Points a Game and is horrible at shooting free throws, Hes a GREAT defender but still isnt worth 8.3 million a year. Dudes got hands of stone too by the way.

effen5
07-19-2012, 10:50 AM
korver and watson were ridic overrated but losing brewer and asik will hurt

No losing Korver and Asik will hurt, Brewer played great in the beginning of last year and then had a tremendous drop off after that. Jimmy Butler is a much better version of Brewer.

When the team is healthy, the team is

Rose/Hinrich/Teague
Rip/Butler
Deng/?/Radmanovic
Boozer/Taj
Noah/possibly Darko

The team in essence is relatively the same.

If we pick up Darko, he might not bring the defense Asik did but Darko won't be an offensive liability Asik was. Asik can't catch the damn ball and on the offensive end hes extremely frustrating to watch.

Hinrich/Teague is much better than Watson/JL3

Butler is a better version of Brewer

and like I said, the only thing thats going to hurt us is losing Korver.

jtrinaldi
07-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Can you say terrible offseason for Houston? Lin, Asik,losing Budinger

Muttman73
07-19-2012, 10:59 AM
The Bulls are going to tread water for a good part of next season, that is a given. If Rose and Deng come back early/on time and strong then they will make a push...

The moves they have made this offseason pretty much reflect that

For now it looks like Miami will continue to rule the East, as much as I hate to say it, it's the way it is

effen5
07-19-2012, 11:05 AM
The Bulls are going to tread water for a good part of next season, that is a given. If Rose and Deng come back early/on time and strong then they will make a push...

The moves they have made this offseason pretty much reflect that

For now it looks like Miami will continue to rule the East, as much as I hate to say it, it's the way it is

Starting 5 could still put them a top 5 team next year until Rose gets back.

Hinrich
Rip
Deng
Boozer
Noah

Thats still a decent team.

Without Rose, this team is on par with Indiana, maybe slightly better.

koetravis
07-19-2012, 11:07 AM

the third year of the contract is 15mil in pay, but 8.3 million in cap hit. if the rockets try to trade either lin or asik, what's the figure? do they have $32 million in expiring contracts, or 16? does the team looking to add either of those two trade? an 8 mil contract, or 16?

I figured i'd ask since you guys understand the cba so well... thanks for your education in advance...

The Rocket's have to pay Lin and Asik 5 mil the first year, 5.2 mil the next, and then 14.9 the third year. But the cap hit for all 3 years is only gonna be 8.3 each year.

effen5
07-19-2012, 11:18 AM
The Rocket's have to pay Lin and Asik 5 mil the first year, 5.2 mil the next, and then 14.9 the third year. But the cap hit for all 3 years is only gonna be 8.3 each year.

Yup but if Knicks/Bulls match their contract, their cap gets hit what their actually paying instead of the 8.3

Moe Bigsley
07-19-2012, 11:26 AM
If letting Asik walk results in a long term deal with Gibson, I see no downside...yes he does have a lot of potential, but its just that...potential

phoenix_bladen
07-19-2012, 11:34 AM
i was sad to see lin go

for some reason this makes me feel better

maybe because the bulls also know they're not stupid to be paying this much for the 3rd year of his contract

**** the rockets

EDUTEXANS
07-19-2012, 11:56 AM
I think D-Will is vastly over-rated. And they over paid for Brook Lopez, attained the worst contract in the league, and they also missed out on Dwight Howard so yeah, I would say they have had one of the worst offseasons in years.

I think it all depends the way you look at it. I can understand why the Nets' fans think it was a great offseason, they sucked for a long time, and noe finally they have a competitive team, they won't compete for the title, but they can compete for the ECF. Thinking about future and cap-wise, they has a bad offseason, the team will be exactly the same (but older) for the next 4 years with no perpective of getting any better

the biggest mistake was trade the 6th pick to Portland for Wallace at the deadline, we can all agree that made no sense whatsoever

EDUTEXANS
07-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Yup but if Knicks/Bulls match their contract, their cap gets hit what their actually paying instead of the 8.3

yep, and that makes no sense, it's gonna be har for team to keep their RFA.

WhiteSoxGod
07-19-2012, 12:05 PM
I literally see people here explaining ten times a day and many still don't get it. It's pretty straightforward.

I think I explain 20 times a day myself.

Well that's the awesomeness of the entire deal. The cap hit is $8.3 million BUT if they wanted to use either as a trade asset the contract value is considered what the actual salary is.

So if they wanted to trade Lin & Asik in the final (3rd) year they would have $31 million in expiring contracts.

Stinkyoutsider
07-19-2012, 12:33 PM
There's no way I would even think about paying Asik 15 million in any season, especially now with being on the hook for Lin's huge 3rd year.

Morey isn't playing games anymore. I can tell the front office is just daring the Bulls to match. Match it and you'll be paying more money in tax.

If I'm the Bulls, I call his bluff and let Houston take Asik. Asik is a solid young center but he can't shoot or catch to save his life. He's good on the defensive end and grabbing rebounds, but that's about what you get for him at this point.

Not sure what the Bulls are going to do to replace him? Darko seems like he can do what Asik can do on the court and probably would be a good stop gap until the Bulls can get into the draft and see if they can get a solid big man prospect?

WhiteSoxGod
07-20-2012, 12:11 AM
There's no way I would even think about paying Asik 15 million in any season, especially now with being on the hook for Lin's huge 3rd year.

Morey isn't playing games anymore. I can tell the front office is just daring the Bulls to match. Match it and you'll be paying more money in tax.

If I'm the Bulls, I call his bluff and let Houston take Asik. Asik is a solid young center but he can't shoot or catch to save his life. He's good on the defensive end and grabbing rebounds, but that's about what you get for him at this point.

Not sure what the Bulls are going to do to replace him? Darko seems like he can do what Asik can do on the court and probably would be a good stop gap until the Bulls can get into the draft and see if they can get a solid big man prospect?

You can not tell me you have not see me say this 1000 times!! THE ROCKETS CAP HIT IS ONLY 8.3 MILLION FOR BOTH ASIK AND LIN NOT $15 MILLION. They will earn that in salary but not on the cap hit which is the important factor.

Leslie Alexander does not mind paying the tax penalty either. It's just he is smarter about how he spends his money. Yes, Asik will be the most expensive backup center in the league BUT he will be one of the best.

the Rockets will still have a TON of cap space with Asik and Lin because they will most certainly trade Martin ($13 million while cutting around $3 million more by waiving non-guaranteed players (2 whom they have already released).

By my calculations with Asik and Lin after the assumed trade of Martin and cuts the Rockets will have about $29 million in cap space left. That is more than any other team. The Rockets could take on 2 MAX deals next summer even with Asik and Lin. Yeah Morey is that good.

justinnum1
07-20-2012, 12:15 AM
bulls should match.

DeyAce
07-20-2012, 12:20 AM
I hope not

justinnum1
07-20-2012, 12:30 AM
I hope not

who you going to replace asik with? also, i wouldn't trust noah and booz to be healthy for a full season.

Chronz
07-20-2012, 12:53 AM
What if Asik becomes the 2nd coming of Ben Wallace? Would he still be overpaid?

Do you guys remember the hints Ben left before becoming Big Ben? Lets put it this way, Orlando was foolish for choosing him over Bo Outlaw

hovyboo
07-20-2012, 01:04 AM
You can not tell me you have not see me say this 1000 times!! THE ROCKETS CAP HIT IS ONLY 8.3 MILLION FOR BOTH ASIK AND LIN NOT $15 MILLION. They will earn that in salary but not on the cap hit which is the important factor.

Leslie Alexander does not mind paying the tax penalty either. It's just he is smarter about how he spends his money. Yes, Asik will be the most expensive backup center in the league BUT he will be one of the best.

the Rockets will still have a TON of cap space with Asik and Lin because they will most certainly trade Martin ($13 million while cutting around $3 million more by waiving non-guaranteed players (2 whom they have already released).

By my calculations with Asik and Lin after the assumed trade of Martin and cuts the Rockets will have about $29 million in cap space left. That is more than any other team. The Rockets could take on 2 MAX deals next summer even with Asik and Lin. Yeah Morey is that good.

I hope Lin and Omar asscheek will lure you two good players...

If history gives any clues I bet you guys max out J.J Hickson and Nick Young

You guys are cold blooded lol

Gagan136
07-20-2012, 01:05 AM
Good move, paying Asik 15 million in his 3rd year with a 8 mill cap hit is absurd.

justinnum1
07-20-2012, 01:06 AM
thinking about it, bulls wont match

Cubby
07-20-2012, 01:47 AM
Because there's no gauruntee we can trade him before the third year.

eternal slumber
07-20-2012, 02:03 AM
What if Asik becomes the 2nd coming of Ben Wallace? Would he still be overpaid?

Do you guys remember the hints Ben left before becoming Big Ben? Lets put it this way, Orlando was foolish for choosing him over Bo Outlaw

i think he has a potential to be like Ben Wallace-esque.

he's already is a defensive monster. given the enough playing time, he'll improve and will post nice number, specifically rebound and block shots.

hugepatsfan
07-20-2012, 02:04 AM
Starting 5 could still put them a top 5 team next year until Rose gets back.

Hinrich
Rip
Deng
Boozer
Noah

Thats still a decent team.

Without Rose, this team is on par with Indiana, maybe slightly better.

That team has no offense at all. No one at all can really create their own shot. The Bulls w/out Rose will be one of the worst offensive teams in the NBA IMO. Their defense will still be great, but I think that O will hold them back. I don't see them as a top 5 seed, at least not until Rose returns. If he's back soon enough and plays well, he could lift them to a top 5 seed, but I honestly don't see them being there when he gets back.

D1JM
07-20-2012, 02:30 AM
That team has no offense at all. No one at all can really create their own shot. The Bulls w/out Rose will be one of the worst offensive teams in the NBA IMO. Their defense will still be great, but I think that O will hold them back. I don't see them as a top 5 seed, at least not until Rose returns. If he's back soon enough and plays well, he could lift them to a top 5 seed, but I honestly don't see them being there when he gets back.

bulls had one of the better offensive efficiencies last season on a semi-slow pace offense with rose missing a ton of games. some of the games rose would only play 15-20 minutes max too. they'll be fine.

TMAC94
07-20-2012, 05:02 AM
youve obviously never watched asik play....hes solid on defense but hes borderline ******** on offense, he has butter fingers and often looks lost, definitly NOT the best backup center in the league, and NOT worth what the rockets are paying

who is then ? I couldn't care if he only scores 6-8 points a game we have a couple players that can score the ball, if he gets 10+ rebounds a game and a couple blocks as a starter he will give us something we haven't had in a while.

aussie
07-20-2012, 11:17 AM
bulls tanking?

effen5
07-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Ben Wallace was overpaid btw...ironically by the Bulls...

:laugh:

NYY 26 to 7
07-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Houston has had a very strange offseason. They get rid of multiple PGs who could have come cheaper and were at least as good if not better than the one they got. They make this deal for nothing more than a solid backup center. And trade away any shred of talent on the team for draft picks - which hype all you want the NBA draft is far from a sure thing unless you have a top 2-3 pick usually. I know it was in the hopes that they could get Howard but that is a wild dream right now and there is no assurance he is even interested in signing long term there is they did get him or Bynum if it were to be a 3 way deal. Just some very risky moves - not saying it couldnt all work out but I would say it is quite a bit of risk. Lin must not be a flash in the pan, asik must develop into a top center, draft picks need to work out and/or Howard must be obtained and sign and extension.

Vincent
07-20-2012, 11:54 AM

Gone are:
Cj Watson
Kyle Korver
Ronnie Brewer
Asik

Terrible Offseason?

All those guys are bench/role players. Kirk Hinrich is an upgrade to all those guys.

Kyle Korver is probably the most valuable piece they lost, but it made no sense to keep him around just for a year, especially without Rose.

Asik is a nice player, but cap flexibility is much more important than a 2nd string Center.

justinnum1
07-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Terrible Offseason?

All those guys are bench/role players. Kirk Hinrich is an upgrade to all those guys.

Kyle Korver is probably the most valuable piece they lost, but it made no sense to keep him around just for a year, especially without Rose.

Asik is a nice player, but cap flexibility is much more important than a 2nd string Center.

i guess you havent watched kirk the last two seasons

waveycrockett
07-20-2012, 12:12 PM
i guess you havent watched kirk the last two seasons

Exactly Heinrich is shot. I'm not even sure what position he plays anymore.

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2012, 12:14 PM
bulls tanking?

Yup!!! They got Rose with a 1.6% chance... can you imagine what they will do with a 25% chance??

waveycrockett
07-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Yup!!! They got Rose with a 1.6% chance... can you imagine what they will do with a 25% chance??

Rose and Noel:speechless:

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-20-2012, 12:39 PM

Good thing your not a GM. You think signing a backup Center with a 25 million dollars contract, who's career highs are 3, 5, 1, is a good idea. Lol. Slap yourself.

pd1dish
07-20-2012, 12:51 PM

Gone are:
Cj Watson
Kyle Korver
Ronnie Brewer
Asik

not saying Chicago has had a good offseason, but Houston hasnt done much better. they lost Kyle Lowry, Courtney Lee is expected to be traded, and they are offering some outrageous contracts to Asik and Lin who arent worth it. im glad Chicago is passing on Asik even though i'll be sad to see him leave and the Knicks were right about passing on Lin. their contracts just wouldnt be worth it.

bearadonisdna
07-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Houston hasnt even signed him yet!

King41
07-20-2012, 04:57 PM
asik would be a good backup for us ^^

Lake_Show2416
07-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Rockets shot for E.Gordon/D.Will & Dwight duo but ended up with Lin & Asik as their future, nice trade off i guess

I understand the Lin signing cuz he's going to generate so much money + the Rockets were in great need of a PG but Asik was a big mistake for his price tag

Kashmir13579
07-20-2012, 06:14 PM
What team does waveycrockett root for? Lets bash them. :shrug:

Toxeryll
07-20-2012, 06:15 PM
overrated

tr3ymill3r
07-20-2012, 06:28 PM
overrated

How does anybody know that? He has yet to play significant minutes as a starter.

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS

Omer Asik's offer sheet with Houston is same terms as Jeremy Lin's -- $5M, $5.2M, $14.9M. Bulls have three days to match

That 3rd yr is a killer. Now I'm positive Chicago doesn't matches.

sunsfan88
07-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS

That 3rd yr is a killer. Now I'm positive Chicago doesn't matches.

The Rockets new policy is that whatever player they offer a contract to, that player will make crap for a salary the first two years and then the 3rd year will be the big year.

I'm told its to motivate the players and to keep them hungry until that 3rd season :p

Vinylman
07-20-2012, 07:17 PM
I think I explain 20 times a day myself.

Well that's the awesomeness of the entire deal. The cap hit is $8.3 million BUT if they wanted to use either as a trade asset the contract value is considered what the actual salary is.

So if they wanted to trade Lin & Asik in the final (3rd) year they would have $31 million in expiring contracts.

Be assured of one thing ... Morey will always win the offseason. Basketball games... Not so much

But the man is a CBA master... Sound like the skill set a good FO would relegate to a first year assistant. I heard Chaz the bartender handles this most important assignment for the lakers

Of course that is only after everyone's drinks have been served

SouthSideRookie
07-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Be assured of one thing ... Morey will always win the offseason. Basketball games... Not so much

But the man is a CBA master... Sound like the skill set a good FO would relegate to a first year assistant. I heard Chaz the bartender handles this most important assignment for the lakers

Of course that is only after everyone's drinks have been served

Funny how the Rockets had winning seasons and were a threat when Yao and T mac weren't injured. Now that Yao is finally off the books, Morey is trying to acquire a superstar via trade or through the draft next year if that's the route they decide to take.

Give us all your master plan on how to win games in this league without superstars. :rolleyes:

CubZwin38
07-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Houston overpaid, but man, the Bulls are gonna be crap this year with Rose out.

Better than the Nets. Not that being better than the Nets has been a big deal since J-Kidd and VC were there.

Vinylman
07-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Funny how the Rockets had winning seasons and were a threat when Yao and T mac weren't injured. Now that Yao is finally off the books, Morey is trying to acquire a superstar via trade or through the draft next year if that's the route they decide to take.

Give us all your master plan on how to win games in this league without superstars. :rolleyes:

woulda coulda shoulda...

exactly when were the rockets a threat :facepalm:

In fact, Yao's injury against the Lakers in the playoffs was the master stroke of Phil Jackson who ran his *** up and down the court the first 3 games of that series...

I know you Houston fans love morey and think he is god unfortunately, that isn't true and he has made plenty of stupid mistakes...

nice pick of morris last year at 14 btw.... i am sure when he packages him in a trade for some other great value it will provide more clarity on his genius :rolleyes:

Again, Morey is the champion of the irrelevant... crown him KING!!!!!!!!!!

:win: :win: :win: :win:

slynxpac
07-20-2012, 09:46 PM
K.C Johnson ‏@KCJHoop
Guessing 3-day clock for Omer match, er, or no match will start SAT since Bulls haven't seen offer sheet as of tonight.

TyrionLannister
07-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Sucks if true. He's a quality asset, I thought they couldve taken the first two years than dealt him as a massive expiring. We'll see how they replace him.

jp611
07-20-2012, 09:52 PM
The Rockets new policy is that whatever player they offer a contract to, that player will make crap for a salary the first two years and then the 3rd year will be the big year.

I'm told its to motivate the players and to keep them hungry until that 3rd season :p

Actually it's just a poison pill, a loophole with the Gilbert Arenas provision

SouthSideRookie
07-20-2012, 10:00 PM
woulda coulda shoulda...

In fact, Yao's injury against the Lakers in the playoffs was the master stroke of Phil Jackson who ran his *** up and down the court the first 3 games of that series...

I know you Houston fans love morey and think he is god unfortunately, that isn't true and he has made plenty of stupid mistakes...

nice pick of morris last year at 14 btw.... i am sure when he packages him in a trade for some other great value it will provide more clarity on his genius :rolleyes:

Chandler Parsons. Stop derailing Rockets' threads, your hate on Morey is comical, genuis.

Blitzbolt
07-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Well the Bulls/Spurs are depest team in NBA history.

Bulls and Spurs fans last year.

TheRunKiller
07-21-2012, 12:12 AM
Bye Asik. I like you but you aren't worth 8 million a year. just like Lin wtf is Houston thinking

DeyAce
07-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Lin is so overrated. Hope Bulls don't match

SouthSideRookie
07-21-2012, 12:37 AM
too bad Rockets don't play in a trash conference, they'd be racking up w's and thinking they are legit contenders.

Ryan328
07-21-2012, 01:42 AM
Rockets worst record in the league next season??

kblo247
07-21-2012, 02:24 AM
woulda coulda shoulda...

so sad for Yao, but so true as Phil told PAu don't worry Lamar or Kobe will get the rebound, just run by his own admission in hopes of wearing Yao out.

I still say Kaman would have been a better bet for Houston as they could have had him for the same price of 8M and he could possibly play alongside Dwight/Bynum if they got them or Scola/Dalembert if they kept them