PDA

View Full Version : Rondo claims that he is the best point guard in the NBA

Pages : [1] 2

Corey
07-18-2012, 07:14 PM
In any language, Rajon Rondo translates to being an All-Star point guard.

The Celtics star was at the Nike World Basketball Festival in Paris and gave an interview to BasketSession.com, a French website.

Rondo talked about his growth on the court and how he's become a lynchpin in the Celtics' game plan.

Rondo said he didn't "choose that I wanted to be a leader or not. I must be one for my team," and he believes he takes a back seat to no one.

"I have matured, and my game also. I think I will be one of the best playmakers in the league," he said. "I think that I am the best point guard in the league."

Rondo averaged 11.9 points and 11.7 assists last season.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/07/rajon-rondo-calls-himself-best-point-guard/1#.UAdDEjFYtQp

In other news, Rajon Rondo hasn't heard of Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, Deron Williams or Russell Westbrook.

D1JM
07-18-2012, 07:16 PM
top 5-6 point guard easily but not the top pg

Aust
He is a stat beast for sure. He might be the best PG at putting up assists, the guy puts up videogame assist #s. Pure pass first PG's are fun to watch

AKAYaReal
Get a solid and consistent jump shot and he will have my vote. Just cant call yourself the best when you have that big short coming in your game.

SteBO
Corey, just what do you want him to say? He's just a confident player, I see nothing wrong with that.

Aapox
07-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Get a solid and consistent jump shot and he will have my vote. Just cant call yourself the best when you have that big short coming in your game.

That's the thing - he just can't shoot. His D also isn't incredible. Other than that - passing, vision, playmaking, intelligence, rebounding, athletic ability...pretty top tier.

Weezy
He's confident, no problem with that really. He def has potential to be the best PG in the league. He is a beast man especially after this year's playoffs.

Sportfan
rondo speaking truth!

Corey
07-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Rondo > Paul

jim51990
07-18-2012, 07:21 PM
im a celts fan but rondo is way off
paul williams westbrook and (maybe rose depending on how he comes back) are better

Hustlenomics
07-18-2012, 07:21 PM
shame on him for not saying he's the worst point guard in the league

Kenny
07-18-2012, 07:22 PM
It's not like Jose Calderon said it. I don't see the big deal even thought to me Chris Paul is the best

nyyfan4life
07-18-2012, 07:23 PM
He's not the best but I don't think he's that far of. Paul and D-Will are the only two who I think are better than him. Everyone else is around the same tier as Rondo so I don't really have a problem with what Rondo said. He's a confident and sometimes cocky player. I like it.

Kashmir13579
Rondo is one of my absolute favorite players. Love this guy. No problem with him saying this because he actually believes it.

Chavacano
He thinks he is therefore... he is not. :p

Corey
shame on him for not saying he's the worst point guard in the league

Oh, you.

It's not like Jose Calderon said it. I don't see the big deal even thought to me Chris Paul is the bestWho said it was a big deal?

seikou8
07-18-2012, 07:24 PM
he is player not a fan he has a ego and doesn't look at it that way

Aust
When you're one of the top players at your position you should have that confidence

greg_ory_2005
What else would you expect him to say?

"I think there's like 3 or 4 PGs better than me."

That would probably be more concerning to hear.

Forever35
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/07/rajon-rondo-calls-himself-best-point-guard/1#.UAdDEjFYtQp

In other news, Rajon Rondo hasn't heard of Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, Deron Williams or Russell Westbrook.

Should Rondo say he is the 5th or 6th best point guard in the NBA...??? I think he'll get more slack for that, and it will start from his teamates...

Corey, just what do you want him to say? He's just a confident player, I see nothing wrong with that.

:clap:

Kashmir13579
07-18-2012, 07:25 PM

meh... I don't think thats set in stone. Maybe on here but not in the real world.

xxplayerxx23
07-18-2012, 07:25 PM

Exactly this. He has to be one of the top 3 passing PG in the game. I dont agree with his statement but there is nothing wrong with him believeing he is.

YouCan'tBeatLA
07-18-2012, 07:26 PM
That's the thing - he just can't shoot. His D also isn't incredible. Other than that - passing, vision, playmaking, intelligence, rebounding, athletic ability...pretty top tier.

Uh... I don't know what you're on, but Rondo is arguably the best defensive PG in the league.

Slimsim
07-18-2012, 07:26 PM
he only speaks the truth

Corey
07-18-2012, 07:27 PM
meh... I don't think thats set in stone. Maybe on here but not in the real world.

Interesting.

I dont really care one way or the other, but pretty much everyone I talk to would say they're higher up on the totem poll than Rondo.

I think the catch up is the differentiation between being a facilitator or not. Rondo is clearly one of the best (Maybe second only to Nash?) facilitators/passers in the NBA right now, I'd say, but the other guys commonly mentioned around the top have more of an offensive minded style of play.

Hustlenomics
07-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Should Rondo say he is the 5th or 6th best point guard in the NBA...??? I think he'll get more slack for that, and it will start from his teamates...

exactly. It's great that he has confidence and will go on the court and back up his claim this season

YouCan'tBeatLA
07-18-2012, 07:28 PM
As for him being the best, I personally think so. I think the reason why people kind of underrate Rondo is because of his atitude problems.

rockbottom2010
07-18-2012, 07:28 PM
he can make a case out of it....hes was consitent during the playoffs

Corey
07-18-2012, 07:29 PM

I didn't say I 'expected' him to say anything.

A player that most people would have in the 4-5 range said he's the best. I think it's a pretty solid discussion topic.

Feel free to not post if you dont feel like discussing it :)

bostncelts34
is he the best? No. Would i want my PG that is one of the top 5 PGs having confidence in his game? Yes, i dont see a problem with this. I just hope he doesnt think his game is perfect, and that he doesnt need to work on some areas.

Joker55
He shoulda said he was the worst!

But seriously, he's a beast. Not the best, but extremely good.

X12Celtics3
07-18-2012, 07:30 PM
In terms of saying stupid, arrogant crap, he only learned from the best. Didn't Pierce come out and say that he was not only better than Kobe Bryant but was actually the best player in the entire world after they won the championship?

Corey
07-18-2012, 07:31 PM
As for him being the best, I personally think so. I think the reason why people kind of underrate Rondo is because of his atitude problems.

If you were starting a team, would you take Rondo before guys like CP3, Deron, Rose and Westbrook without knowing what the supporting cast would be?

I'm curious to hear people's opinion on this.

AKA TheMamba
07-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Its hard to argue his opinion, Boy can really ball!!! If he can hit his shots consistently I'd have to agree with his notion.

Max.This
07-18-2012, 07:32 PM
He is the best pure point guard. Best scoring point guard , no

bostncelts34
Uh... I don't know what you're on, but Rondo is arguably the best defensive PG in the league.

Not even close IMO. He plays defense by jumping into lanes and also poking the ball out from behind ONCE his man has already beat him. His man to man is very suspect to be honest.

EDUTEXANS
he is the best passing PG in the league, IMO

Corey
In terms of saying stupid, arrogant crap, he only learned from the best. Didn't Pierce come out and say that he was not only better than Kobe Bryant but was actually the best player in the entire world after they won the championship?

:laugh2: yep.

Pierce is about as cocky as they come.

Coming off their title, Pierce said he was the best player in the NBA.

macc
I have no problem in him saying that. It's not like he's a scrub or a 2nd tier pg in this league. You should want your players to be confident. Besides he has an argument as the best PG in the league.

It just depends on what you want out of a pg. You have your Westbrooks/Rose's who are mainly scorers, Your Nash's who are assist artists and then you have Rondo who may not be an elite scorer but he does everything else better then the other pg's in the leauge, when it comes to playmaking, passing, rebounding and defense (arguably). So it just depends on what you want out of a pg.

YouCan'tBeatLA
If you were starting a team, would you take Rondo before guys like CP3, Deron, Rose and Westbrook without knowing what the supporting cast would be?

Yes.

Corey
07-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Not even close IMO. He plays defense by jumping into lanes and also poking the ball out from behind ONCE his man has already beat him. His man to man is very suspect to be honest.

I think he's pretty capable of being an elite defender. Having KG and Pierce close by allows him to gamble a bit more than you might like him to, but he's still a terrific on ball defender.

bostncelts34
07-18-2012, 07:34 PM

All depends if you want a scoring PG then no, obviously not. But if you want your PG to run your offense and be a facilitator first and scorer second. Then i think it would be hard to say anyone other than Rondo, besides Paul perhaps.

tuki274
07-18-2012, 07:34 PM

have you watched his latest playoff games? lol theyve stopped sagging on him cause he does make those js

koreancabbage
07-18-2012, 07:35 PM
well when its to the top 5, everything is debateable. I think he has grounds to say it

Wes_Craven
07-18-2012, 07:36 PM

Russell Westbrook-not a PG, just plays the position, Rondo's a better PG

Deron Williams-lets see what he does this year after not making the playoffs

Derrick Rose-only person I seen that Rondo stuggles against, but lets see how he comes back

Chris Paul-gets the better of Paul everytime I see them play as far as him stuggling offensively.

I mean seriously, don't see how you can make a case for all those guys, maybe Paul, but none of the rest(jury's still out on how Rose comes back,too). I've been saying for a while he's the best PG, to me he is. 2 trips to the Finals, big performances if the playoffs, controls the game(both ends) and brought the Celtics, just last season, one game short of another Finals appearance. Out of all those guys, only one has gone farther than a conference Finals and, again to me, Russell is not a PG.

bostncelts34
I think he's pretty capable of being an elite defender. Having KG and Pierce close by allows him to gamble a bit more than you might like him to, but he's still a terrific on ball defender.

he can be. But as you stated, how can tell when he gambles so often. Id like to see him not gamble to much and leave our bigs out to dry by stopping the penetration. Defense starts at the top, cant let guys penetrate as much as he does.

Corey
It just depends on what you want out of a pg. You have your Westbrooks/Rose's who are mainly scorers, Your Nash's who are assist artists and then you have Rondo who may not be an elite scorer but he does everything else better then the other pg's in the leauge, when it comes to playmaking, passing, rebounding and defense (arguably). So it just depends on what you want out of a pg.

Spot on. I agree.

With the Celtics getting older, do you think Rondo is a player that is capable of being a top 2-3 option on offense? Is he someone a team can build around, or is he a piece that puts a team over the top?

YouCan'tBeatLA

That's a defensive technique, not because his man blew right past him. Besides, I see nothing wrong with that since he gets the steal, anyway.

Longhornfan1234
07-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Rondo is the best PG…and it's not even debatable. Rondo > CP3.

He's a better passer, slasher, rebounder, and defender. CP3 never played at the level as Rondo played in this year's playoffs.

X12Celtics3
07-18-2012, 07:37 PM

No. Paul is the best point guard in the NBA and would probably be my choice, and Williams/Rose/Westbrook are all more likely to lead an otherwise mediocre team to the playoffs because they create their own shot and are elite scorers. Rondo can be an excellent player, but on a team that doesn't have good scorers to play off of Rondo his assist total would drastically decrease and I doubt he'd be able to score nearly as many points as the others.

On the Boston Celtics, though, the only point guard I'd rather have is Chris Paul.

tuki274
07-18-2012, 07:38 PM

yeahp... nba all defensive first and second team the past 4 years!!!

Wes_Craven
07-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Rondo is the best PG…and it's not even debatable. Rondo > CP3.

He's a better passer, slasher, rebounder, and defender. CP3 never played at the level as Rondo played in this year's playoffs.

^^^^Emphasis on the last line. :cool:

_KB24_
07-18-2012, 07:40 PM
He just may be the best pure point guard in the league.

CP3, Rose, Westbrook, and maybe even Williams are clearly better basketball players.

seikou8
07-18-2012, 07:41 PM

nope not chance but you have record of not like rondo not being able to shoot and being inconstant

Corey
have you watched his latest playoff games? lol theyve stopped sagging on him cause he does make those js

That's pretty questionable.

This past year, he shot 26% from 3-9 feet...28% from 10-15 feet...35% from 16+ feet.

He's streaky. He'll have games where he will hit the jumper, but on the whole there's still a pretty big inconsistency.

He kills it off the dribble though, driving the lane is when he's most effective as a scorer.

Mcdoh
very humble..

Hawkeye15
07-18-2012, 07:42 PM
who cares if it isn't true in the slightest, what else would you expect a competitor like Rondo to say? I have zero problem with it, even if I kinda laughed when I read it.

theheatles
I'm not surprised in the least that he said this, and sometimes he plays like he is the best PG in the league but i'll still take CP3

bostncelts34
That's a defensive technique, not because his man blew right past him. Besides, I see nothing wrong with that since he gets the steal, anyway.

I disagree. Its ok to gamble here and there. But he does it WAY more often then he should be. I bet if you actually found the numbers(impossible) of the time he gambles and steals compared to the times he misses and either the guys scores or a big man picks up a foul, i would think its negative more than positive.

RB#20
I'm not sure what anyone expects him to say. Do any of you go into work saying that your competitor is better than you? Why should Rondo? He had a career season and a legendary post season where he was arguably the 2nd best player behind LBJ in the playoffs and can't be ranked any lower than being the 3rd best player. All NBA players talk **** but what he says IMO is the truth. Best PG in the game. He didn't say best playmaker cause that title is still owned by LeBron.

Forever35
07-18-2012, 07:43 PM

A player that most people would have in the 4-5 range said he's the best. I think it's a pretty solid discussion topic.

Most people are usually people who don't step foot on the court... I'm sure most of the top scorers in the league would rank Rondo pretty high, probably because they don't have to battle with him for touches...

You know I have no problem discussing Celtic issues Corey... ;)

X12Celtics3
07-18-2012, 07:43 PM
yeahp... nba all defensive first and second team the past 4 years!!!

His constant gambles on steals are pretty annoying. I wish he'd tone that down a bit and work on playing solid man defense (you know, actually staying in front of his man). He is certainly capable of being a great defender, as Corey said, but because of his constant steal attempts the defense needs to collapse into itself to bail Rondo out time and time again. If you want to see great man defense, watch Avery Bradley.

Yankeefan213
07-18-2012, 07:44 PM
I'd say last season he was damn close. I would take Paul and Westbrook ahead of him, but as of now I would put him ahead of Rose and Williams.

zB_#85
07-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Lakers fan here, but......he is :hide:

Rose and Westy better scorers but like Nash said I don't consider them true pg's. They are hybrids. I think Rondo's jumper will improve and more than anything he just needs to be confident in it and use it so defenses are forced to stay honest. Can't think of another PG I'd rather have, love his game and the immeasureables are what makes him best IMO.

bostncelts34
07-18-2012, 07:45 PM
his constant gambles on steals are pretty annoying. I wish he'd tone that down a bit and work on playing solid man defense (you know, actually staying in front of his man). He is certainly capable of being a great defender, as corey said, but because of his constant steal attempts the defense needs to collapse into itself to bail rondo out time and time again. If you want to see great man defense, watch avery bradley.

+1

Showtime Steve
07-18-2012, 07:47 PM
i cant argue with what he said. it matters how you like your pg to be. if his 3pt shot became more consistent, dude would be damn near unstoppable. people saying he is only good because of the risks he takes. he doesnt see them as risks because he knows what he can/cant do.when a defender passes him and he pokes it out, he plans that. yea playing with kg and paul and allen def helps. if he was on clips i doubt it would have been that diff. the lobs to griffin and jordan? what about the thunder. durant would be the scoring champ by 8+ points avg. with pass first guard like rondo.

RLundi
07-18-2012, 07:48 PM

Most people didn't even hear about his attitude being a major problem until the end of last and this season. His attitude does nothing in the way of determining if he's a top point guard. It's his tepid and inconsistent jump-shooting and the fact that Chris Paul, Derrick Rose and D-Will are just better point guards in most people's opinions, and maybe Russell Westbrook.

Forever35
The one issue I have with Rondo is his "when I feel like it" type attitude... As a C's fan, I can see Rondo not stressing his fg% or ft% until he's damn well and ready too... He realizes he has he scoring talent around him now, so why take touches away from KG and Pierce??? He's like a spoiled little brat... :D

Hustlenomics
His constant gambles on steals are pretty annoying. I wish he'd tone that down a bit and work on playing solid man defense (you know, actually staying in front of his man). He is certainly capable of being a great defender, as Corey said, but because of his constant steal attempts the defense needs to collapse into itself to bail Rondo out time and time again. If you want to see great man defense, watch Avery Bradley.

Rondo limited 99% of the point guards he faced this season. stop this nonsense about his defense

Longhornfan1234
07-18-2012, 07:50 PM
How is CP3 better than Rondo? :confused:

justinnum1
07-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Rondo is a little punk *****, but he is top 5 pg imo.

dwill
cp3
rose

all have a clear case for being better than him

Delusional
07-18-2012, 07:54 PM
CP3 is still the best but Rondo's playoff run puts him right behind him for me.

1. Paul
2. Rondo
3. Rose
4. D-Will
5. Westbrick

justinnum1
07-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Yea, not sure anyway raises their game in the playoffs like rondo.

Forever35
07-18-2012, 07:56 PM

dwill
cp3
rose

True, but rings go along way when you're a major part... Different story with Chalmers and his ring though, he isn't even a top 10 PG... :D

Hawkeye15

is this a serious question?

Joker55
Yeah, Rondo isn't better than Rose..

RLundi
07-18-2012, 07:57 PM

How is he not? Chris Paul is a much better shooter and scorer and he's also a slightly better defender. Rondo is a better passer, though he's pretty turnover-prone.

I think people get so caught up in Rondo's amazing post-season run (which he was nothing short of incredible) but using longevity, it's not even really close- CP3 is obviously better.

Chavacano
07-18-2012, 07:58 PM
All he needs a consistent jumper then... BOOM!! :drool:

Delusional
Yea, not sure anyway raises their game in the playoffs like rondo.

Your guy? James?

justinnum1

:facepalm:

cheetos185
07-18-2012, 07:59 PM
why say i think just say i'm the best

YoungOne
love it. Proof them all wrong :)

justinnum1
Your guy? James?

True, lebron was incredible in the playoffs this year but i would like to see him do it for more than just one playoff run, he shat the bed vs dallas last year. Rondo consistently ups his game in the playoffs.

Joker55
07-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Rondo is probably 4th or 5th, which is great, but these people saying he's better than CP3 or Rose are kidding themselves.

RonE Coleman
07-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Most complete point guard in terms of the many different things he can do, once he develops a consistent jumper theres no question he would be the best.

Hes essentially Chris Paul without a jumpshot but a better rebounder.

NYMetros
07-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Most players have a huge ego, that's part of why they're in the NBA in the first place and what makes them so good. No all-stars say to themselves, "I may not be the best at my position, but I'm definitely top 5!" No, all-star players think they're the best at what they do.

RonE Coleman
07-18-2012, 08:01 PM
And agreed... Rondo is by far the best playoff performer in terms of point guards.

gilly
07-18-2012, 08:02 PM
I put him second behind Paul. Westbrook and Rose are better players but not better point guards (if that makes any sense).

SteBO
07-18-2012, 08:03 PM

Don't see any reason for you to be snarky. All my point was is that there is nothing wrong with a player believing he's the best at his position. I think it's a solid topic of discussion as well. I never said that it wasn't. Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong the way to warrant the last sentence of your response to me.

kingsdelez24
07-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Whoever says westbrick is better is a tool

SteBO
07-18-2012, 08:06 PM
On topic, Rondo to me has a case for being 2nd best. His court vision, passing, rebounding, and his b-ball IQ is top notch in the league. I can't say he's the best though because of his jump shot, and his overall attitude to me. The latter isn't a really big deal to me, but as the leader of a team I'd expect a little better.

ohreally
07-18-2012, 08:07 PM
I'd be just as happy to have Rondo as I would be to have CP3 (healthy) Rose (healthy) or Deron.

dtmagnet
I love Rondo but I can't say he is better than Chris Paul.

Chronz
Now if only he could find someone else to agree with him.

He is a stat beast for sure. He might be the best PG at putting up assists, the guy puts up videogame assist #s. Pure pass first PG's are fun to watch

Stat beast? You mean assist machine. There is a big difference between being a stat machine and an assist guy.

justinnum1
I'd be just as happy to have Rondo as I would be to have CP3 (healthy) Rose (healthy) or Deron.

depends, swap rose and rondo and the bulls dont crack 85points a game

ohreally
07-18-2012, 08:09 PM

Ranking anybody depends on who they're playing with and against.

Forever35
07-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Don't see any reason for you to be snarky. All my point was is that there is nothing wrong with a player believing he's the best at his position. I think it's a solid topic of discussion as well. I never said that it wasn't. Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong the way to warrant the last sentence of your response to me.

Corey's reply was at me SteBo... :D

RonE Coleman
07-18-2012, 08:10 PM

Stat beast? You mean assist machine. There is a big difference between being a stat machine and an assist guy.

Maybe you missed his 40 something point performance in the playoffs. Or the fact thats he is 5th all time in Playoff Triple Doubles (incase you don't know, 3 different stats make up a triple double) :facepalm:

KnickNyKnick
07-18-2012, 08:10 PM
i actually agree he is the #1 pg imo. This guy gives ANY team problems. hes makes any team/players better. although rose is better offensively.

BoSox47
07-18-2012, 08:11 PM

I dont think westbrook is better then rondo but that is up for debate, westbrook is a very sound player but deron williams really? .407 fg% last season and .423 the last 3 seasons total. while being injured close to 50% of his teams games the past 3 seasons. This isnt 2009 anymore derons had a couple rough years.

RonE Coleman
07-18-2012, 08:11 PM

Swap Rondo and Westbrook and the Thunder are Champs... whats yours point?

Joker55
07-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Maybe you missed his 40 something point performance in the playoffs. Or the fact thats he is 5th all time in Playoff Triple Doubles (incase you don't know, 3 different stats make up a triple double) :facepalm:

No doubt he ups his game in the post season, but he's primarily an assist guy during the regular season.

justinnum1
07-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Swap Rondo and Westbrook and the Thunder are Champs... whats yours point?

my point was to the guy that said
"I'd be just as happy to have Rondo as I would be to have CP3 (healthy) Rose (healthy) or Deron."

it depends on the team...
And i would disagree that if rondo and westbrook swapped the thunder would be champs.

Sadds The Gr8
07-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Good. If I was a celtic fan I'd want him to think this.

Nycbball08
07-18-2012, 08:14 PM
He very well might be, didn't Marbury make that claim once..

Bruno
07-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Rondo is the best ball distributor in the NBA.

Forever35
07-18-2012, 08:16 PM
He very well might be, didn't Marbury make that claim once..

I'm sure Starbury has made a lot of claims in his lifetime... :D

koetravis
07-18-2012, 08:17 PM
I'd put him at 2. Paul, Rondo, Westbrook, Rose, Williams. IMO, Williams is very over-rated.

Wes_Craven
07-18-2012, 08:22 PM
^Paul is overrated, IMO. Has yet to get past the 2nd round in the playoffs.

Mr.SmackYoMama
07-18-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm gonna go with ******* Yea!

RedSoxFan2434
07-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Westbrook has a better shot but lacks basketball IQ and maturity

Rose is always hurt

Williams isn't as good a play maker. He doesn't get his players as involved on a consistent basis.

Paul maybe better, but it's close

I'd go Paul>Rondo>Rose>Williams>Westbrook but that is clearly the top 5

Longhornfan1234
07-18-2012, 08:26 PM
is this a serious question?

Rondo is a better passer, slasher, defender, and rebounder.

CP3 got swept while playing alongside a top 15-20 player and STACKED bench.

Rondo carried an old/cripple squad to ECF. Took the WORLD CHAMPIONS to game 7. This argument is over. I win you lose. Deal with it.

Jarvo
paul williams westbrook and (maybe rose depending on how he comes back) are better

Westbrook & Williams better then Rondo? :facepalm:

Lakerhead4ever
he has a argument thats forsure

Jarvo
07-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Ehh I've been saying I'll take Rondo over Paul because he's a game changer with his defense and will make a shot if he has to, If he gets better a shooting it just shows more that he's the best PG.

justinnum1
07-18-2012, 08:29 PM

Rondo is a better passer, slasher, defender, and rebounder.

CP3 got swept while playing alongside a top 15-20 player and STACKED bench.

Rondo carried an old/cripple squad to ECF. Took the WORLD CHAMPIONS to game 7. This argument is over. I win you lose. Deal with it.

Actually you lost.

CP3>Rondo

So many things wrong with what you posted, we will just leave it at that. Nice try, good effort:clap:

QueensG
07-18-2012, 08:30 PM
he is the best pure pointgaurd in the league

bagwell368
07-18-2012, 08:31 PM
He's confident, no problem with that really. He def has potential to be the best PG in the league. He is a beast man especially after this year's playoffs.

Rondo's peak was 2008-2010 - I.E. he played very well in the regular season AND playoffs. Since then his first 40% of last regular season and about 80% of the prior one were dog **** compared to the playoffs. Let him prove he can play a full season without the drama (playing so poorly he's been on the block several times, playing so poorly his college coach, pro coach, and pro GM have all characterized him as stubborn, erratic, and uncoachable.

Great highlight reel stuff, but when KG and PP finally fade away Rondo's chances of being a leader of that quality? None and none.

Plus learn to shoot outside of 10 feet from the basket.

And no - there is no argument for him being the #1 PG. In the regular season last year with a fine finish, he still didn't crack the top 5. Year before he was 9th. You guys need to get a grip.

RonE Coleman

Actually you lost.

CP3>Rondo

So many things wrong with what you posted, we will just leave it at that. Nice try, good effort:clap:

Actually Everything he said was true. With that said I would still take Chris Paul over Rondo but its closer then people think.

blastmasta26
^Paul is overrated, IMO. Has yet to get past the 2nd round in the playoffs.

Didn't Paul get to the WCF once? Besides, Paul hasn't had the roster support that Rondo has had.

Raph12
07-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Overrated... I could make a case for him not being top 5.

Longhornfan1234
07-18-2012, 08:34 PM

Actually you lost.

CP3>Rondo

Great case you made.:facepalm:

I get it brah, I've belittle you a lot on here.

Nycbball08
07-18-2012, 08:34 PM
What does Rondo have that those other guards don't.... Anyone?? Anyone??? yup you guest it... a "RING" so I guess he is the best... and I don't wanna here all this crap about he had KG, Ray or Pierce..

Longhornfan1234
07-18-2012, 08:35 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

justinnum1
Great case you made.:facepalm:

I get it brah, I've belittle you a lot on here.

Make a poll who is better, rondo or paul. Bet the winner is Paul. :)

PleaseBeNice
rondo>deron

bagwell368
07-18-2012, 08:37 PM
I dont think westbrook is better then rondo but that is up for debate, westbrook is a very sound player but deron williams really? .407 fg% last season and .423 the last 3 seasons total. while being injured close to 50% of his teams games the past 3 seasons. This isnt 2009 anymore derons had a couple rough years.

You need to look at TS% or eFG% or his percentages from various distances. Westbrook shoots too much, but he's distinctly superior to Rondo in terms of his outside shooting and free throw shooting - along with most starters in the league. BTW - why does Rondo's FT% get worse the past few years? Not practicing? Gave up? Whatever it is - he SUCKS for a supposedly premier player at shooting free throws.

RonE Coleman
07-18-2012, 08:37 PM
rondo>deron

Easily

TheHighLife
07-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Rondo > Lebron

RLundi
07-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Westbrook has a better shot but lacks basketball IQ and maturity

Rose is always hurt

Williams isn't as good a play maker. He doesn't get his players as involved on a consistent basis.

Paul maybe better, but it's close

I'd go Paul>Rondo>Rose>Williams>Westbrook but that is clearly the top 5

Oh boy, Homer Alert.

ONE season of injury qualifies Rose as 'always hurt'?

Williams is a stellar playmaker. His career assist percentage is actually better than Rondo's.

Lol it is not at all close with CP3. Chris Paul is obviously better than Rondo. It might be a toss-up after CP3 and D-Will but your reasoning behind your logic is completely misguided.

justinnum1
07-18-2012, 08:40 PM
rondo>deron

I would disagree

these were the rankings from the poll a few weeks ago
dont see how thing change in 2 weeks

1) Chris Paul
2) Derrick Rose
3) Russell Westbrook
4) Deron Williams
5) Rajon Rondo

Longhornfan1234
07-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Rondo > Lebron

I hope you're joking. No on in the NBA right now compares to LeGod. The best player since MJ, most versatile defender since Rodman, and most all-around player since the Big O.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Even though he's wrong I don't mind the confidence. I hope it translates into him being more confident as a shooter and scorer and allows him to improve in those areas.

bagwell368
07-18-2012, 08:42 PM
What does Rondo have that those other guards don't.... Anyone?? Anyone??? yup you guest it... a "RING" so I guess he is the best... and I don't wanna here all this crap about he had KG, Ray or Pierce..

Rondo was a secondary player on that team. If you want to look at win shares - he was what 8th? What happened since he's gotten a bigger share with 3 HOF'ers playing next to him - right - nothing.

RLundi
07-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Easily

:pity:

Longhornfan1234
07-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Make a poll who is better, rondo or paul. Bet the winner is Paul. :)

The poll would be skewed. There's too many simpletons on PSD, no offense.

TheHighLife
07-18-2012, 08:45 PM
I hope you're joking. No on in the NBA right now compares to LeGod. The best player since MJ, most versatile defender since Rodman, and most all-around player since the Big O.

I would take Rondo over Lebron any day. I'm not joking.

Jarvo
Chris Paul is crazy overhyped not overrated because he's damn good but to say he's the best PG and not close for some of you is crazy.

RLundi

There's also too much ignorance on PSD.

Advanced statistics are hardly for 'simpletons' and they prove Paul is infinitely better than Rondo. I'm curious to know what you would use to categorically prove Rondo is better than Paul?

justinnum1
07-18-2012, 08:46 PM
I dont take anything you say offensively, or seriously.

:clap: winner!

SteBO
07-18-2012, 09:01 PM

He quoted me as well, so I thought it was directed at both. Oh well, no harm done anyhow. :)

Longhornfan1234
07-18-2012, 09:06 PM
There's also too much ignorance on PSD.

Advanced statistics are hardly for 'simpletons' and they prove Paul is infinitely better than Rondo. I'm curious to know what you would use to categorically prove Rondo is better than Paul?

You expect me as a viewer to ignore film and succome to what a stat sheet tells me? Stats don't tell the whole story.Basketball is a sport that is too hard to measure by numbers, especially defense.

You can't measure the guy who trapped the ball-handler in the corner, yet another teammate was the one who picked up the loose ball and therefore got the steal; or the impact of a center who challenges every shot.

Stats are a good indicator of measurement when overlooking the course of a season or playoffs in review, but a lot of those advanced stats (i.e. PER, eFG%, etc.) are just about useless.

This is not baseball, there are intangibles. I watched CP3 get swept, and also watched Rondo carry an old/crippled squad to ECF. Took the world champions to game 7.

Corey
07-18-2012, 09:14 PM

:guns:

:love:

koberulesall
07-18-2012, 09:21 PM
hes been the best point guard in the league since 08,Williams, Nash, Paul don't have a ring or even a finals appearance

Corey
07-18-2012, 09:24 PM
I haven't seen Tony Parker's name mentioned yet.

Am I the only one that thinks his year was just as good (if not better) than Rondo's?

I feel like his name, as well as Nash should be right in the discussion for top five.

justinnum1
07-18-2012, 09:25 PM
hes been the best point guard in the league since 08,Williams, Nash, Paul don't have a ring or even a finals appearance

That has more to do with their teammates tho...put any of those guys on the celtics and i bet money they would have a ring.

scutch11
07-18-2012, 09:27 PM
He made a believer out of me in the playoffs this year. Only guy I'd argue strongly against him is Paul

keetyweedy
07-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Honestly ill take rondo over any pg in the league

more durable than CP3
better decision making than westbrook
facilitates better than D-will
plays better defense than D. Rose

& he's a walking triple double ......

Chronz
07-18-2012, 09:35 PM

Right because statistical dominance is defined by what you do in a select amount of games, how silly of me.

Jarvo
07-18-2012, 09:36 PM

Am I the only one that thinks his year was just as good (if not better) than Rondo's?

I feel like his name, as well as Nash should be right in the discussion for top five.

:clap: I was going to add Parker but didnt want to come off as a homer and I'll take them over CP3, Westbrook, Rose and Dwill. I just like pass first PG better.

Chronz
07-18-2012, 09:37 PM

You expect me as a viewer to ignore film and succome to what a stat sheet tells me? Stats don't tell the whole story.Basketball is a sport that is too hard to measure by numbers, especially defense.

You can't measure the guy who trapped the ball-handler in the corner, yet another teammate was the one who picked up the loose ball and therefore got the steal; or the impact of a center who challenges every shot.

Stats are a good indicator of measurement when overlooking the course of a season or playoffs in review, but a lot of those advanced stats (i.e. PER, eFG%, etc.) are just about useless.

This is not baseball, there are intangibles. I watched CP3 get swept, and also watched Rondo carry an old/crippled squad to ECF. Took the world champions to game 7.

Chronz
07-18-2012, 09:37 PM
You need to look at TS% or eFG% or his percentages from various distances. Westbrook shoots too much, but he's distinctly superior to Rondo in terms of his outside shooting and free throw shooting - along with most starters in the league. BTW - why does Rondo's FT% get worse the past few years? Not practicing? Gave up? Whatever it is - he SUCKS for a supposedly premier player at shooting free throws.

Who is that exquisite ***** on your sig

keetyweedy
07-18-2012, 09:39 PM

parker was very valuable to the spurs and he had a mvp type season, but nash??? nahhhh

Fnom11
07-18-2012, 09:40 PM

Rondo's a top tier defender when he tries. In my opinion he's a better defender than CP3, Rose, D-Will, and Westbrooke or at least on par with all of those guys.

Iceman_9
07-18-2012, 09:41 PM
It depends on the system the coach is running. Personally, I really hate PGs who are also scorers. Rondo doesn't score much but gives a lot of assists and plays hard defense. So depending on your definition of a PG. For me, he is the best.

Fnom11
07-18-2012, 09:42 PM
I see the top PGs as this

1.CP3
2.Rose
3 Westbrooke/Rondo/D-Will

Those 3 all seem just as good as the other.

Longhornfan1234
07-18-2012, 09:45 PM

Chronz... give it up my man. Rondo > CP3.

aztr0
07-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Uh huh.... :facepalm:

justinnum1
07-18-2012, 09:48 PM

Still have yet to prove your point other than your opinion.

JWO35
07-18-2012, 09:54 PM
I consider him a Top 3 PG, so I have no problem with him saying this....its not like ****ing Aaron Brooks said this, Rondo has the credentials to back this up.

FriedTofuz
07-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Chris paul is a lot better than rondo, and unlike rondo, chris paul can actually shoot
Chrispaul
Derrick Rose
russel Westbrook
Rondo

If i were to group those 4, that would be the ranking.

mavsman81
07-18-2012, 09:57 PM

I'm sure he has, but he's the only one out of who you mentioned who has won a ring..

Sixersfan69
07-18-2012, 09:58 PM
CP3
Westbrook
Rondo
Those r my top 3 in that order cuz rose's knees cant be trusted and rondo is the best pure point guard. Its not like Jeremy Lin said it.

SportsFanatic10
07-18-2012, 10:04 PM

no he got it right. pretty much every one of your posts should be bookended by facepalms.

akagiredsuns
07-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Baiting thread. He just feels confident about himself. If he believes that, let him. Who are we to judge. We all have our own opinions on who the best PG is. Some will say it's Rondo, others Rose, Westbrook, etc. This thread was made with the intent to start something. IBC

SportsFanatic10
07-18-2012, 10:07 PM
i got

1 cp3
2 drose
3 dwill
4 rondo
5 westbrook
6 parker
7 nash

hes up there but hes not the best.

b@llhog24
07-18-2012, 10:10 PM
:laugh2: not even close.

seikou8
07-18-2012, 10:11 PM
rondo >>>>>>>>>>>> every pg

Hustlenomics
07-18-2012, 10:12 PM

magic johnson, mike wilbon, jon barry agreed with him this season

EDUTEXANS
07-18-2012, 10:16 PM
i got

1 cp3
2 drose
3 dwill
4 rondo
5 westbrook
6 parker
7 nash

I pretty much agree with you, but to me Rondo is better than Deron

JWO35
07-18-2012, 10:19 PM
1. Chris Paul
2. Rajon Rondo
3. Derrick Rose

IMO

Corey
07-18-2012, 10:21 PM
parker was very valuable to the spurs and he had a mvp type season, but nash??? nahhhh

Why not Nash?

He had a pretty damn productive season with a less than stellar supporting cast.

Gritz
07-18-2012, 10:23 PM
OP started a troll thread, should ban himself

Corey
07-18-2012, 10:25 PM

Yes, I'm really trolling by posting a direct quote from a player that plays for the team I support.

Good call.

It's a good discussion topic, and the amount of posts in this thread is direct evidence of that. This thread had 180+ active viewers five minutes after it was posted.

BrandoCommando
07-18-2012, 10:31 PM

Westbrook is a SG. PG is not his true position.

Corey
07-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Westbrook is a SG. PG is not his true position.

He plays point guard on offense.

He defends point guards on defense.

He isn't a 'prototypical' point guard....But he still plays the position.

waveycrockett
07-18-2012, 10:34 PM
get a jump shot bro

b@llhog24
07-18-2012, 10:35 PM

Explain.....

Kyrie will have something to say about that next season. ;)

:laugh2: Gotta love Pierce man.

I have no problem in him saying that. It's not like he's a scrub or a 2nd tier pg in this league. You should want your players to be confident. Besides he has an argument as the best PG in the league.

Chris Paul has all of that.

Wow one playoff series. Move over Magic there's a new top PG in town. :cool:

Russell Westbrook-not a PG, just plays the position, Rondo's a better PG

So you're saying he plays point guard but he isn't a point guard? :confused:

Deron Williams-lets see what he does this year after not making the playoffs

He was better than Deron this year, but he's not better overall.

Derrick Rose-only person I seen that Rondo stuggles against, but lets see how he comes back

He's not better than Rose either and h2h's don't mean ****.

Chris Paul-gets the better of Paul everytime I see them play as far as him stuggling offensively.

Still is the best pg in the league.

I mean seriously, don't see how you can make a case for all those guys, maybe Paul, but none of the rest(jury's still out on how Rose comes back,too). I've been saying for a while he's the best PG, to me he is. 2 trips to the Finals, big performances if the playoffs, controls the game(both ends) and brought the Celtics, just last season, one game short of another Finals appearance. Out of all those guys, only one has gone farther than a conference Finals and, again to me, Russell is not a PG.

Cause they're better than him. :)

asap_simba
07-18-2012, 10:36 PM
1. CP3
2. DRose
3. Rondo
4. Westbrook
5. Dwill
Rondo has the ability to surpass CP3 and Rose in the future though.

bcc
07-18-2012, 10:36 PM
I could go with Paul, Rose and Williams but not by much. Rondo over Westbrook anytime. His decision making is terrific and he completely understands what a PG should do. He had his best season last year, still improving, and has probably played in more postseason and otherwise BIG games than the other 4 combined.

Losoway
07-18-2012, 10:37 PM
stop liking rondo ever since that video where he tried to fight a reporter for asking him questions

this dude is big headed as ****

Mr. NBA
07-18-2012, 10:38 PM
i don't know if Rondo is the best, but he is sure a heck of a great point guard.

got swagger, tenacity, smarts, playmaking

wonderful player.

b@llhog24
07-18-2012, 10:48 PM

:drool:

dwill
cp3
rose

You say Westbrook is a top 10 player yet you leave him off your list. :pity:

Your guy? James?

He only remembers as far back as 2010.

True, lebron was incredible in the playoffs this year but i would like to see him do it for more than just one playoff run, he shat the bed vs dallas last year. Rondo consistently ups his game in the playoffs.

Rondo's best playoff runs would be some of Lebron's worst.

True Rocket
07-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Rondo is 3rd behind CP3 and D-Will. I'll leave out D-Rose for now, because of his knee injury.

naps
07-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Nothing is wrong with that. It's not like Brandon Jennings said this. Rajon Rondo can very well feel like he's the point guard in the league. He might not be the best but he's not too far either. The man is just being confidant. He's a top notch PG in the game today. Good for Rondo and the Celtics.

RedSoxFan2434
07-18-2012, 11:00 PM
He can say whatever he wants. Considering the 5 main pgs mentioned with Rondo (Rose Williams CP3 and Westbrook) he has more rings then all of them combined.

The guy is a flat out winner. He talks a big game, but he backs it up. I really want to see how he does with players that can actually run with him. We saw this a bit with Bradley. That is why Allen's time has come. Celtics need players to run with Rondo's skills. Then we can maybe end this argument.

Bruno
07-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Nothing is wrong with that. It's not like Brandon Jennings said this. Rajon Rondo can very well feel like he's the point guard in the league. He might not be the best but he's not too far either. The man is just being confidant. He's a top notch PG in the game today. Good for Rondo and the Celtics.

x2.

DRose7
Yes, amongst true point guards, hes won my vote. Def after this postseason. Dudes a beast, HOFer in the making

b@llhog24
Actually Everything he said was true. With that said I would still take Chris Paul over Rondo but its closer then people think.

If everything he said was true, why would you take Cp3?

Didn't Paul get to the WCF once? Besides, Paul hasn't had the roster support that Rondo has had.

That was Deron.

Yea but that would be too easy. :D

Norris Cole has one of those bad boys too. :cool:

I would disagree

these were the rankings from the poll a few weeks ago
dont see how thing change in 2 weeks

1) Chris Paul
2) Derrick Rose
3) Russell Westbrook
4) Deron Williams
5) Rajon Rondo

Dwill is better than Rondo, but he shouldn't have been voted ahead of him imo.

Sig worthy.

How dare you not put Kyrie's name in there. :punish:

NY_Risles
07-18-2012, 11:03 PM
hm. the guy who posted this is pretty funny. Lets sum up the PG position. A guy who makes his team better, shares the ball, willing to pass up a shot, plays good defense, leader of the team, smartest player on the court. DRose.. yeah hes a superstar basketball player, but is he a true point guard? Russ Westbrook, is he a true point guard? Deron Williams a little bit closer to a true point, but still dont think hes all the way there. Now Chris Paul on the other hand could give Rondo a run for his money, but lets go into it a little bit more. Rondo averaged a double double last seaon.. Chris did not. There were 12 people who were all tied with 1 triple double for the season.. Rondo had 6 and Chris wasnt on that list. Rondo had 44 points against the Miami Heat in the playoffs, something Rose, Westbrook, etc. have never done. All of these accomplishments, stats, etc. and Rondo can barely shoot a jumpshot. Oh and by the way he's only 26 years old.

bagwell368
07-18-2012, 11:12 PM
It depends on the system the coach is running. Personally, I really hate PGs who are also scorers. Rondo doesn't score much but gives a lot of assists and plays hard defense. So depending on your definition of a PG. For me, he is the best.

Sorry, but that's wrong IMO. A player is most effective when defenders fear his passing, shooting, and dribbling on offense. Forces the D to go vanilla.

The D of the other team dares Rondo to shoot. Does anyone even stop to think why missing FG attempts is bad? Moreso on the Celts then almost any other team? The Celts are a poor offensive glass team, so most of Rondo's misses are effectively turnovers. Then consider how much pressure falls on the other 4 players on the floor with him? Sometimes with 3 HOF'ers on the floor with him the Celts O was still ineffective.

Rondo gets so many assists because that's the most value on offense he can give. He doesn't drive as much as he used to, so that's a smallish part of his game. He can't shoot. So he passes. Passes in an offense designed to find a man behind a screen (wow how hard can you get).

Never mind that Rondo puts out very uneven effort. Some nights no matter what he's a dog. Other nights with the National TV in house he plays great. What a leader (not), what an example to young players (not).

bagwell368
07-18-2012, 11:13 PM
i got

1 cp3
2 drose
3 dwill
4 rondo
5 westbrook
6 parker
7 nash

Just slide Rondo behind Westbrook and Parker and it's a keeper. Watch for Kyrie knocking Rondo out of the way next year or year later worst case.

STL Don
07-18-2012, 11:16 PM
I very much look up to Rajon Rondo's overall game. Its quite unnatural and no pg in the league is as complete as him. His offense has always been his weakness but he always gets it done and will still improve there as well. Him, Rose and Paul are right up there with eachother, imo.

TheNumber37
07-18-2012, 11:20 PM
It seems every year that he is playing like the best PG in the league. And come playoff time he seems so underrated. Can you really say that about the other guys?

Still not the best, but has potential to play like it on any given night.

GH19
07-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Nothing wrong with confidence. It's debatable but I wouldn't say he's currently the best. However, the way he played against Miami certainly caught my attention.

RB#20
07-18-2012, 11:33 PM

Swap Rondo with Rose and the Bulls players get easier looks and run a more efficient offense. You could also put a true PG on the floor, move Rose up to SG and you have a team that could be in the Finals every other season. I really wanted to see Nash go to the Bulls and have them move Rose to SG.

smood999
07-18-2012, 11:35 PM
he pulled a Marbury...we saw what happened after he said those words...

SportsFanatic10
07-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Just slide Rondo behind Westbrook and Parker and it's a keeper. Watch for Kyrie knocking Rondo out of the way next year or year later worst case.

i hate rondo as a heat fan but i do think hes better than westbrook and parker. not by a lot though. kyrie is gonna be good but hes got a lot to prove to pass rondo as of right now. he very well could though and it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Corey
07-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Kyrie will have something to say about that next season. ;)

I'm right with you on Irving my dude. I love the kid. I think he'll be top 5 pretty shortly.

BleedingGreen9
07-18-2012, 11:43 PM
i like the statement.... if you dont believe in yourself you cant succeed

CityofChaos
07-19-2012, 12:09 AM
The only other point guard that I see having the edge over Rondo is CP3...the rest aren't better or much less worse than Rondo.

He's good and those who try to deny it are just plain stupid.

And no, Im not a Celtics fan.

THE MTL
07-19-2012, 12:11 AM
He clearly isnt the best PG in the league. You cannot call yourself the best and shoot below 60% from the FT line.

Rondo is GREAT, but he is not the full package like Chris Paul or Deron Williams.

b@llhog24
07-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Swap Rondo with Rose and the Bulls players get easier looks and run a more efficient offense. You could also put a true PG on the floor, move Rose up to SG and you have a team that could be in the Finals every other season. I really wanted to see Nash go to the Bulls and have them move Rose to SG.

Where the Celtics ranked in Offensive Rating for the last 3 years.

2012: 27th
2011: 18th
2010: 15th

As Rondo becomes more of a focal point within the offense, it gets worse. Whereas the opposite proves to be true for Rose.

2012: 5th
2011: 11th
2010: 27th

I'm right with you on Irving my dude. I love the kid. I think he'll be top 5 pretty shortly.

:cheers:

justinnum1
07-19-2012, 12:39 AM
Where the Celtics ranked in Offensive Rating for the last 3 years.

2012: 27th
2011: 18th
2010: 15th

As Rondo becomes more of a focal point within the offense, it gets worse. Whereas the opposite proves to be true for Rose.

2012: 5th
2011: 11th
2010: 27th

:cheers:

i was going to post something similar but glad someone else did

SlimKid
07-19-2012, 12:48 AM
And I'm the smartest person in the world...seriously, why is anyone taking his ridiculous comments seriously.. He obviously has a complex issue

Sportfan
07-19-2012, 12:55 AM
200 posts in 5 housrs about a Rondo quote, the man is a superstar!!!!!
top 20 player in the league for sure!

eternal slumber
07-19-2012, 12:57 AM

the way he played this pass playoffs, he might have already cracked top 10.

Sportfan
07-19-2012, 01:03 AM
how is Deron clearly above Rondo? :laugh: Rondo's coming off a season where he was the 2nd best postseason player, Deron hasn't sniffed his team close to the playoffs in 2 years.

And for people saying Rondo's defense isn't elite, his PPP on defense was a .74. He was ranked 14th in iso defense, so saying he isn't great defender is ludacris

SMH!
07-19-2012, 01:09 AM

Agree completely, why are people so surprised when players say something like this, especially a player who is superstar par level, if you ask them who's the best at their position, they gotta be confident enough to say themselves! No surprise here, even though I do disagree with him but I dont got a problem with him saying it

SMH!
07-19-2012, 01:10 AM
how is Deron clearly above Rondo? :laugh: Rondo's coming off a season where he was the 2nd best postseason player, Deron hasn't sniffed his team close to the playoffs in 2 years.

And for people saying Rondo's defense isn't elite, his PPP on defense was a .74. He was ranked 14th in iso defense, so saying he isn't great defender is ludacris

Deron Williams before Rondo ALL DAY, ANYDAY, Cmon Son

b@llhog24
07-19-2012, 01:12 AM

Not alot of people would agrue with this.

the way he played this pass playoffs, he might have already cracked top 10.

No he didn't.

NYkillaPriest
07-19-2012, 01:14 AM
I agree with him. when the only knock to your game is your scoring and your a PG that doesn't seem bad to me. to everybody saying Westbrook is a better PG get real, Westbrook is a scorer not a true PG

sharqstealth
07-19-2012, 01:17 AM
Tell him to learn how to shoot free throws first before he claims this!

naps
07-19-2012, 01:21 AM

Says the certified troll who barely posts anything but facepalms and absurd claims.

97NYer
07-19-2012, 01:40 AM
Been saying it for a while, completely agree. What he did this playoffs, with his outside shot falling, I don't think there's any doubt.

dsonLAL24
07-19-2012, 01:41 AM
1. CP3
2. D-Will
3. Nash
4. Rondo

JJ_JKidd
07-19-2012, 01:43 AM

In other news, he has a CHAMPIONSHIP ring.

Blazers#1Fan
07-19-2012, 01:47 AM
D-rose is the best pg followed by cp3 but if rondo can put up 20-11 this year he's easily top pg

b@llhog24
07-19-2012, 01:49 AM

So does Scalabrine. :shrug: What's your point?

Blazers#1Fan
07-19-2012, 01:53 AM
I agree with him. when the only knock to your game is your scoring and your a PG that doesn't seem bad to me. to everybody saying Westbrook is a better PG get real, Westbrook is a scorer not a true PG

Gotta agree westbrook to me is more of a small SG my top list is

1.Rose
2.CP3
3.Rondo
4.Dwill
5.Nash

camador22
07-19-2012, 01:55 AM
I think he's the best PG in the league. No other PG played better this postseason and he put up historical stats while doing it.

Blazers#1Fan
07-19-2012, 01:55 AM

Luke walton has a couple adam morrison has 2 does that make em better then Lebron

rex.reyesiii
07-19-2012, 02:04 AM

As of the moment... I actually agree with him. :D

1. Ring
2. Defense
3. Rose is injured, Deron needs Sloan, CP3... has no Ring. :confused:

Sinestro
07-19-2012, 02:06 AM
Nah if he had a good at jumpers and 3s I could see Boston beating Miami, as is though nah

Sportfan
07-19-2012, 02:08 AM
If anything Rondo's "attitude" helps him.

He's fearless on the court. Of course he's a cocky, overconfident brat, but he backs it up big time.

Blazers#1Fan
07-19-2012, 02:09 AM

Id take rondo before everybody except roseonly taking westbrook on a young team

Sportfan
07-19-2012, 02:12 AM
Not alot of people would agrue with this.

Not everyone

Not including his meh rookie season, I have him about 9th best in a given year. Above average, not elite - overall. His passing, defense and rebounding are all quite good/elite range. His shooting is basically bottom 10% of the league for a starting PG.

TheHighLife
07-19-2012, 02:18 AM
Top PG's
1. Isaiah Thomas
2.Rondo
3. CP3
4. Rose
5. Westbrook
6. D-Will

Gagan136
07-19-2012, 02:20 AM
I like his attitude, but he isn't the best imo.

NSJ
07-19-2012, 02:23 AM
To be the best you have to think you're the best

JJ_JKidd
07-19-2012, 02:39 AM
So does Scalabrine. :shrug: What's your point?

He's the only one who has a ring among the current generation of PGs mentioned in the very first post you IDIOTS!

Jeez 14-year olds nowadays :facepalm:

b@llhog24
07-19-2012, 02:58 AM
Gotta agree westbrook to me is more of a small SG my top list is

1.Rose
2.CP3
3.Rondo
4.Dwill
5.Nash

Westbrook and Rose are similiar players. In fact Westbrook in a season has proven to be more of a tradional pg than Rose ever has.

Not everyone

Without thinking he's probably not in my top 20 either but I wouldn't kill someone for putting him there.

He's the only one who has a ring

among the current generation of PGs mentioned in the very first post you IDIOTS!

Jeez 14-year olds nowadays :facepalm:

Well obviously they could "slow them down" I just don't believe it will be significant enough to sway the series. Its hard to stop people when you're facing two of historys most efficient offensive players at their position. Key word of advice, you won't get far in this world calling people idiots. But you'll learn once you get older.

DitchDat
07-19-2012, 03:16 AM
Basically this is about believing in your own abilities. What is he supposed to say to please you guys? "I'm easily the 5th or 6th best PG in the league". Who does that? At times, he is the best in the league, so I don't fault him for saying it.

JJ_JKidd
07-19-2012, 03:18 AM
Westbrook and Rose are similiar players. In fact Westbrook in a season has proven to be more of a tradional pg than Rose ever has.

Without thinking he's probably not in my top 20 either but I wouldn't kill someone for putting him there.

Well obviously they could "slow them down" I just don't believe it will be significant enough to sway the series. Its hard to stop people when you're facing two of historys most efficient offensive players at their position. Key word of advice, you won't get far in this world calling people idiots. But you'll learn once you get older.

Key word of advice: people should learn how to read, and analyze why someone made such a comment.

b@llhog24
07-19-2012, 03:19 AM
Key word of advice: people should learn how to read, and analyze why someone made such a comment.

Ironic.

JJ_JKidd
07-19-2012, 03:26 AM
Ironic.

Indeed.

b@llhog24
07-19-2012, 03:38 AM
Indeed.

Broke out your Webster for that one huh?

JJ_JKidd
07-19-2012, 04:11 AM
Broke out your Webster for that one huh?

You still need that? :rolleyes:

GoferKing_
07-19-2012, 04:41 AM
You ppl are putting Westbrook ahead of Rondo? Why?

krrys11
07-19-2012, 04:44 AM
To be the best you have to think you're the best

Agree 100%

Have any of you ever heard Jordan saying someone is better?
Or Magic? Bird? Robinson? Barkley?

If you do not think your are the best you will never be the best!

USMCLaker
07-19-2012, 05:42 AM
I think there is definitely an argument to be made on his behalf although I'd probably take DRose first.

USMCLaker
07-19-2012, 05:45 AM
Adding a poll to this thread may make it more interesting.

Vee-Rex
07-19-2012, 06:09 AM
I don't think he's the best PG.

However I wouldn't expect him to say, "I think I'm the third best point guard in the league behind so and so". Just confidence.

sunsfan88
07-19-2012, 06:14 AM
This isn't as ridiculous as this

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=701901

OutOfTHEBLUE
07-19-2012, 06:57 AM
IMHO, Rondo will never be the best PG when he's shooting so poorly from the free throw line.

A career FT% of .619 (his FT% was .597 in '12-'13) is just asinine.

Hustlenomics
07-19-2012, 09:20 AM

yep OP has a strong dislike for Rondo and was hoping this would turn into a bash rondo thread

IMHO, Rondo will never be the best PG when he's shooting so poorly from the free throw line.

A career FT% of .619 (his FT% was .597 in '12-'13) is just asinine.

i guess Shaq was never the best at his position because of his bad free throw shooting

Cubs Win
07-19-2012, 09:39 AM
i guess Shaq was never the best at his position because of his bad free throw shooting

PG's and C's have pretty different responsibilities on the basketball court if you haven't noticed...

Norieaga
07-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Amazing passer, good defender, and probably the most gutsy PG out there. Needs to work on his jumpshot. Definitely a top 3-4 PG, has the potential to be 1st. Go C's!

JiffyMix88
07-19-2012, 10:03 AM
pretty sure he meant to say team not league idk how he can say that especially when these other top pgs normally dominate him

JPS
07-19-2012, 10:49 AM
I don't get what the problem with him saying he is the best is?? don't we all want the players on our team to think they are the best. Mindset and attitude are a huge part of being great. Do I think he is the best? Who really cares he thinks he is and he should keep thinking it and trying to prove it.