PDA

View Full Version : In all reality, if John Smith did what Lin did in another market, would anyone care?

NYSpirit1
07-18-2012, 04:16 PM
John Smith as in Joe Schmo as in an unknown.

I think everyone got caught up in Linsanity (myself included), for the pure hype, the Lin acronyms, the fact it was NYC and honestly, the fact that Lin was asian.

The story was built up by the media, a Harvard grad who was a benchwarmer coming to save the Knicks from a 6 game losing streak, a guy when everybody thought asians couldn't play.

It is a nice story - but let's face it, if DJ White started ripping it up in Charlotte averaging 25 and 10 leading the Bobcats to 7 or 8 straight wins, would anyone care? No.

It was a perfect storm, six straight losses, Anthony & STAT are injured, Lin comes in with D'Antoni's speedball offense, puts up 38 vs the Lakers, 28 and 14 vs the Mavs and hits a game winner in Toronto and the world's on fire. Then he got injured when Woodson became coach and never was heard of afterwards, keeping his high value.

It was all the hype and I think it's unfair for fans to say we lost a superstar or future superstar because it was never really about talent, it was about the hype machine the media created in New York City, the biggest market in the US.

For all of you that disagree: Ronald Murray in 2003 with the Seattle Sonics. Most of you will be like 'who?' Ray Allen was out, Murray was in and averaged 27 points a game leading the Sonics to alot of wins in the first 11 games of that 2003 season. No one cared. Ramon Sessions a few years ago with the Bucks put up a 20-20 game and had a string of really, really good games to finish the season. No one cared.

People like to say Lin averaged 18 and 8 in 25 starts, but really it was averaging like 25 and 10 pre-Melo and after Melo came back he sucked, he averaged 13 points a game under Woodson shooting 40%.

Vincent
07-18-2012, 04:18 PM
It wasn't all hype. Lin was legitimately playing well.

SMH!
07-18-2012, 04:20 PM
John Smith as in Joe Schmo as in an unknown.

I think everyone got caught up in Linsanity (myself included), for the pure hype, the Lin acronyms, the fact it was NYC and honestly, the fact that Lin was asian.

The story was built up by the media, a Harvard grad who was a benchwarmer coming to save the Knicks from a 6 game losing streak, a guy when everybody thought asians couldn't play.

It is a nice story - but let's face it, if DJ White started ripping it up in Charlotte averaging 25 and 10 leading the Bobcats to 7 or 8 straight wins, would anyone care? No.

It was a perfect storm, six straight losses, Anthony & STAT are injured, Lin comes in with D'Antoni's speedball offense, puts up 38 vs the Lakers, 28 and 14 vs the Mavs and hits a game winner in Toronto and the world's on fire. Then he got injured when Woodson became coach and never was heard of afterwards, keeping his high value.

It was all the hype and I think it's unfair for fans to say we lost a superstar or future superstar because it was never really about talent, it was about the hype machine the media created in New York City, the biggest market in the US.

:facepalm: the man actually balled out and now that hes not a knick, you are guessing it was all hype?

greg_ory_2005
07-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Lin is the truth. And all you Knicks fans know it. You all know that you wanted him back bad.

VRP723
07-18-2012, 04:24 PM
You guys are all dumb. When Lin played well, NY fans started praising him like he was the messiah and most everyone else trashed him, "Turnovers! TURNOVERS!!". Now he leaves and everyone just uses it to pile on the Knicks, and Knick fans try to convince themselves into thinking he's nothing special. Such extreme emotions one way or the other.

bbal995
07-18-2012, 04:25 PM
NYSpirit1 fulfilling his quota of one stupid thread a day.

meloman1592
07-18-2012, 04:25 PM
This is ****ing ********. Knick fans are gonna try to say Lin wasn't that good and the other PSD posters are gonna say Lin is good when in reality, other psd posters constantly said Lin is overrated and not good and Knick fans talked him up to be the 2nd coming of Christ.

As a rational knick fan, this is a no win situation for me

Hawkeye15
07-18-2012, 04:27 PM
anytime something happens in NY sports, it's amplified. I thought that was understood by everyone.

TylerSL
First of all, Lin was actually good, not just the hyped. Dont get me wrong, he isnt gods greatest gift to mankind like the media made him out to be. He isnt even a top 10 PG, and is only debatable as top 15. He was overhyped, but he was still good. He averaged 14/6, thats no joke. He has to get better with his off-hand dribbling, and needs more confidence in himself in running an offense, and he can be a true, quality PG. I dont know how much better he will get than 14/6, probably around 18/8 or something in his prime IMO. But he wont turn it over 5 times/game. The Knicks were dumb to just let him walk away for nothing.

bucketss
lol now that he finally left you're trying to make yourself feel better about his departure i do agree but you should known awhile ago;-)

olrales
07-18-2012, 04:29 PM
There was no Linsanity... he played well a couple of games, don't get me wrong... but I bet you guys remember of Ramon Sessions firsts games in the NBA out of the D-League when he got INCREDIBLE nights, he even got a 20-20... and we did not overhyped the guy cause he was playing in the small market of Milwaukee! If it wasn't of NY, Lin would not have gotten all the attention he got this year... and he would not be that much overpayed!

JerseyPalahniuk
07-18-2012, 04:30 PM
This is ****ing ********. Knick fans are gonna try to say Lin wasn't that good and the other PSD posters are gonna say Lin is good when in reality, other psd posters constantly said Lin is overrated and not good and Knick fans talked him up to be the 2nd coming of Christ.

As a rational knick fan, this is a no win situation for me

You have got to be kidding me. You have called melo the best player in the league.

EDIT: it might have been the guy by the username "teammelo" something. my bad if it wasn't you

LongIslandIcedZ
The hypocrisy by most fans is ridiculousl. Whether the Knicks signed him or not, they were gonna be bashed.

Of course no one would care in a different market, this is NY, everythng is amplified.

Raph12
Lin is extremely overrated, he's decent, but not as good as most of the Chinese population would like to think.

Ebbs
07-18-2012, 04:37 PM
GTFO

He was a ivy league kid who looked liek he couldn't hack it the NBA and he salvaged the Knicks season.

Gritz
You mean John Doe Boy Fresh?

TylerSL
Lin is extremely overrated, he's decent, but not as good as most of the Chinese population would like to think.

He was 14/6 with 5 T/O per game this year, and I think in his prime, his best will be like 18/8 with 3 T/O per game. Which is probably good enough for top 10 PG, but no he isnt elite or anything like that. Still a bad move to let him walk and get nothing.

lakerboy
07-18-2012, 04:41 PM
It wasn't JUST that. It was a combination of everything --- him being asian as an underdog, him leading the Knicks to consecutive wins was crazy, him being in NY, him being a Harvard grad, him being cut from multiple teams, and sleeping at his teammates couch.

TylerSL
07-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Lin will also never be a #1 guy in his prime. He will never be able to the star of a team, and that team win anything. In his prime, he will be a good #2, and would be one of the best #3's in the league.

Kashmir13579
07-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Knicks fans deep down loved Jeremy Lin. What we're seeing now is a defense mechanism by Knick fans. Acting like everything is alright, when in fact, it isn't.

MiamiBoy77
07-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Pecovicsanity????

Jroz
07-18-2012, 04:53 PM
You guys are all dumb. When Lin played well, NY fans started praising him like he was the messiah and most everyone else trashed him, "Turnovers! TURNOVERS!!". Now he leaves and everyone just uses it to pile on the Knicks, and Knick fans try to convince themselves into thinking he's nothing special. Such extreme emotions one way or the other.

hahah very true man...2 months ago it was Knicks fans vs the world with this Kid...everyone said he was overrated this or decent, or sucked, etc..now we lose him in a terdish way and its all EAT IT KNICKS FANS!!! hahahhaha

torocan
07-18-2012, 05:01 PM
It would have built slower at first if he wasn't in NYC, but you posterize Kobe and the Lakers for 38 on ESPN, and it gets VERY big. With BOTH of your Superstars out? After a LONG losing streak?

Lin's backstory was just as compelling regardless of his ethnicity. The fact is, people LOVE an underdog story. That a guy is overlooked his ENTIRE life, and suddenly starts playing like a Superstar 3 days from being cut, after being cut 2x and Harvard?

Not as big internationally, but nationally? Definitely.

Then toss in some Star drama like Melo/D'Antoni? Will Melo fit? Won't Melo fit?

You bet people would have been tuning in.

chrism8188
07-18-2012, 05:04 PM
wow, why is all the Lin threads are being made by NY knicks fans, but they are all trashing him when months ago he was being praised as the second comming. I feel bad for the real knick fans that even tho he left to just wish him well, in the end most likely leave anywhere for more money.

YashBoone
07-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Lin is the truth. And all you Knicks fans know it. You all know that you wanted him back bad.

Yeah, and if anyone says they wanted him gone, that's just pure bs.

But, people proclaiming him to be up in the same category as Chris Paul Steve Nash tony Parker?????

C'mon man, that's just horseradish and bologna.

chrism8188
07-18-2012, 05:09 PM

But, people proclaiming him to be up in the same category as Chris Paul Steve Nash tony Parker?????

LMAO CP3 and Nash??? well personally havnt seen anyone on here say that, that is crazy, hes not even close to that, but he is a solid starting PG in the NBA that has potential to be way better.

TylerSL
07-18-2012, 05:12 PM

Nobody has compared him to them....... Although I have actually seen 2 Knicks fans say that he is better than Westbrook tho....... :sigh:

Canterbury
07-18-2012, 05:14 PM
"Big 3 of Lin, Melo, Stat"

chrism8188
07-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Nobody has compared him to them....... Although I have actually seen 2 Knicks fans say that he is better than Westbrook tho....... :sigh:

hahahaha thats Linsane!

NYSPORTSALLDAY
07-18-2012, 05:23 PM

It doesn't bother me in the least. Dudes are acting like he is Chris Paul. No hard feelings I wish him well.

sep11ie
07-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Who's John Smith?

Jroz
07-18-2012, 05:30 PM

hahah I remember someone made a thread about that.."Who wouldnt take Lin over Westbrook" ahhahahhah

aztr0
07-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Now that he is not a Knick, you got those who claim he was overrated now say he is good. And the Knick fans who were in love with Lin, now claim it was hype. Lol. Fandom.

Losoway
07-18-2012, 05:52 PM
now lin is the truth . when he was a knick he was over hyped

smh the hate for new york on this site is crazy

hgtiger32
07-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Reminded me of how well Brandon Jennings played in the 1st half of his rookie year. Then, teams started to figure him out.

Kashmir13579
07-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Reminded me of how well Brandon Jennings played in the 1st half of his rookie year. Then, teams started to figure him out.

Brandon Jennings is a stupid player.

Ill21
07-18-2012, 06:23 PM
anytime something happens in NY sports, it's amplified. I thought that was understood by everyone.

Exactly, if Lin was a Utah Jazz or Minnesota Timberwolves he would never have got that much attention.

Ill21
07-18-2012, 06:24 PM
now lin is the truth . when he was a knick he was over hyped

smh the hate for new york on this site is crazy

For real.

Aust
07-18-2012, 06:25 PM
That's NY for ya. That's the Knicks for ya.....ugh

elledaddy
07-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Any knick fan that say they didn't enjoy what lin was doing is lyin and any non knick fan acting like losin Lin will be the reason the Knicks don't succeed this yr is foolish. It was the pefect storm and he's getting paid for it. But EVERYBODY should just admit that if he had been Black and graduated from Howard U it would have been much much much less news about him. If he would have been john lucus III none of this would be thought of. He wouldn't have no cool nick name, nobody would have poison pilled him, the world would have said " Knicks are stupid for giving this guy money". As long as Lin was Asian,White,Latin,French,Russian or anything but African American this wud have been news worthy. I'm not even saying its wrong, its just Life

John Walls Era
07-18-2012, 06:45 PM
He did some record breaking things, so maybe. But NY amplifies that by so much more. Remember July 17th 2012: Knicks will rue this day (hopefully).