PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Lin opens up about FA - "Honestly, I wanted New York"

torocan
07-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Lin opens up about leaving Knicks: 'Honestly, I preferred New York'

By Pablo S. Torre, Sports Illustrated

At 11 p.m. EST on Tuesday night, one hour before the New York Knicks needed to decide whether to match the Houston Rockets' three-year, $25.1 million contact offer to keep Jeremy Lin, the point guard's cellphone rang at his parents' home in Palo Alto, Calif. The call was from New York general manager Glen Grunwald and the conversation lasted no more than 30 seconds. Grunwald's message, Lin told SI.com, was simple and direct: "We wanted to keep you, but it couldn't work out. Tell your family I say hello, and good luck the rest of the way."

That was it. One of the more intriguing and publicly debated personnel decisions in NBA history ended in half a minute. No questions were asked, no pointed comments were uttered and no animated feelings were expressed. Lin, the undrafted 23-year-old who rose to global stardom in his first 25 starts after being cut twice, politely told Grunwald, "I just want to thank you. Best of luck in the future."

Late Tuesday night, in his inaugural hour as a Rocket, Lin opened up to SI.com about how the most popular basketball player in New York City ended up in Houston, where he'll have his official team physical today. How Knicks management -- which had spoken to him and his representatives only once this month before that call from Grunwald -- finally let him go.

"Honestly, I preferred New York," Lin says. "But my main goal in free agency was to go to a team that had plans for me and wanted me. I wanted to have fun playing basketball. ... Now I'm definitely relieved."

The process began in late June, when Knicks coach Mike Woodson, who was in Los Angeles visiting Carmelo Anthony, Tyson Chandler and Landry Fields, contacted Lin to arrange a meeting to discuss his future. When Woodson said that his schedule prevented him from coming to Palo Alto, Lin -- who has been living with his parents this summer -- wound up flying to L.A. That night, over dinner at Mastro's Steakhouse in Beverly Hills, the guard was sold. "Woodson was saying, 'You're going to be a starter, you're going to be a big part of the team,'" Lin says. "I came away really excited."

But the next week, on July 1, the first day of the NBA's free agency period, the Knicks informed Lin and his agents, Jim Tanner and Roger Montgomery, that while the team had interest in bringing Lin back, they were also going to court other point guards to join him. The names of four candidates were provided. Three of them were veteran free agents, all age 36 or older: Steve Nash, Jason Kidd and Andre Miller. The fourth was former Knick Raymond Felton, 28, who played for the Trail Blazers last season.

The Knicks would not make a formal offer to Lin -- not then, or, ultimately, ever -- instead opting to steer him toward the open market so he could assess his own price. Serious conversations with three teams besides the Knicks began. Only Houston, which had already cut the Harvard economics major last December, warranted a visit, on July 4. "The Rockets kept saying how sorry they were that that they'd cut him, and how much of a mistake it was," Tanner says. "They almost said it too many times. They kept acknowledging it."

Lin left Houston impressed by the effort and the enthusiasm. A backloaded first offer, as widely reported, came to him at four years -- with the fourth as a team option -- and $28.8 million. As news of the offer broke (and Lin's camp says they did not communicate anything to the Knicks before an offer sheet was actually signed), Woodson publicly declared that Lin would "absolutely" be back. But not long after that, the Rockets came back with a revised offer: three years for $25.1 million, with the money rising from $5 million in the first season, to $5.225 million in the second, to $14.898 million in the third. (The relatively low values of the first two annual salaries are as mandated by the Collective Bargaining Agreement's "Gilbert Arenas" provision.)

By this point, Lin had no real idea what the Knicks would do. But there also wasn't much choice: there was all of one offer sheet in front of him to consider.

At least, while surfing the Internet last Sunday, Lin read that Felton was reportedly en route to the Knicks from Portland via a sign-and-trade. Earlier this month, New York had already signed Kidd; now, Lin saw the writing on the wall, along with everybody else. "Felton's signing was the first time when I thought, 'Oh, wow, I might not be a Knick,'" Lin says. The next time he heard from an executive in the organization, it was to tell him the Knicks were letting him go.

The last time Lin talked to Knicks owner James Dolan was right before Game 5 of the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs, when New York was down, 3-1, to eventual NBA champion Miami. Lin, who had suffered a meniscus tear in his left knee, had been ruled out for the remainder of the regular season and had already missed the first four games of this playoff series. Now Dolan, with point guard Baron Davis also injured, wondered about Lin's availability. But the matter had already been settled. "Every single vet on our team that has been in the league longer than five years pulled me aside and told me that I shouldn't play," Lin says. "And I had arguments with them about why I should."

Dolan -- who didn't talk to Lin often but had generally been "really nice to me" --wound up expressing support. "I have plans for you in the future," Lin recalls the owner saying. "This is a long-term investment. Don't rush back."

At the time, Lin says, he had been sleeping with an ice machine on every night and waking up early to restart it. He couldn't even touch the rim, much less defend. But the morning of Game 5, when asked about his status, he had publicly diagnosed himself at "85 percent" -- a comment he says has since been misunderstood. Lin was not 85 percent healthy, he says, but rather 15 percent away from the absolute minimum threshold to play. "People think it was easy for me to sit there and watch us lose, like I had nothing to do with the season," Lin says. "I was dying to play. I didn't miss a game due to injury in seven years until this past season, and people are acting like I wouldn't want to play in the playoffs? Of the NBA? In my first season?"

He is happy with his new employer, but less so about the misconceptions that others may now harbor. The notion that Lin has always cared about money above all else, in particular, eats away at him, especially as he sleeps in his childhood home.

"If I really wanted to, I could have triple-digit endorsements," Lin points out, but he does not. Instead, and in large part because Lin wanted to concentrate on basketball, he declined to cash in on the Linsanity gold-rush -- namely, the mountain of business opportunities in Asia -- and picked only three companies: Volvo, Steiner Sports, and Nike.

"A year ago, I was just trying to stay alive and fight day by day, just to be on a roster," says Lin, who famously slept on couches upon his arrival in New York. "What I have now is way more than I ever would have dreamed of, and way more than I need."

What he doesn't have, though -- and what he deeply misses about those magical two months, back when he was atop the sports world -- is something that can't be bought, and likely can't be replicated elsewhere, again.

"I love the New York fans to death," Lin says. "That's the biggest reason why I wanted to return to New York. The way they embraced me, the way they supported us this past season, was better than anything I've ever seen or experienced. I'll go to my grave saying that. What New York did for me was unbelievable. I wanted to play in front of those fans for the rest of my career."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/07/18/jeremy-lin-exclusive/index.html?sct=nba_t11_a0

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

EastNYLos
07-18-2012, 01:21 PM
:facepalm: oh well..keep on missing ny..

scutch11
07-18-2012, 01:27 PM
The part about Dolan and the vets telling him to sit out the playoffs made me sick.

blahblahyoutoo
07-18-2012, 01:31 PM
pretty stupid of him to be saying this after signing with houston.
way to disrespect fans/teammates of your new team harvard boy.

mvb815
07-18-2012, 01:33 PM
last year the knicks were so bad that they reached to the depths of their bench for any kind of support and this is how they treat the guy who made them somewhat relevant again?

take it as you want knicks fans, but that is exactly what happened, and no signing camby, kidd, and getting felton wont make it better.

torocan
07-18-2012, 01:34 PM

He's being honest.

I think most Houston fans will understand it.

BigBlueCrew
07-18-2012, 01:35 PM
The proof is in the doing not the saying Jeremy

Jroz
07-18-2012, 01:35 PM

Now that I think about it...looking back at how Miami owned Lin..it was really best/refreshing for the league to see...really think every team is going to make it a point to do it to him everytime they play him going forward..especially since he doesnt have anyone else on the court like he did with Melo and Stat this coming year..going to be a rough season for him now.

Knowledge
07-18-2012, 01:36 PM
He wanted to be in NY so much that he structured his contract in a way that made it impossible for the Knicks to sign him? Looks like what he really wanted was the money and he got it.

AndyfromNeptune
07-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Great article by a former Harvard graduate.

I hope this ends all the Jeremy Lin hatred.

The Knicks could have signed Lin, and they didn't. They never even made a formal offer to him. It's a business. Life goes on.

Lin is a Rocket now.

Go Knicks!

mvb815
07-18-2012, 01:39 PM
He wanted to be in NY so much that he structured his contract in a way that made it impossible for the Knicks to sign him? Looks like what he really wanted was the money and he got it.

did you read the article? he could be making 9 figures in endorsements, but he wants to focus on basketball. he was just doing what ny told him to do.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-18-2012, 01:43 PM
How many of you guys read the whole article?

ON WANTING TO PLAY IN THE PLAYOFFS:

"Every single vet on our team that has been in the league longer than five years pulled me aside and told me that I shouldn't play," Lin says. "And I had arguments with them about why I should."

Dolan -- who didn't talk to Lin often but had generally been "really nice to me" --wound up expressing support. "I have plans for you in the future," Lin recalls the owner saying. "This is a long-term investment. Don't rush back."

ON THE 85% COMMENT

At the time, Lin says, he had been sleeping with an ice machine on every night and waking up early to restart it. He couldn't even touch the rim, much less defend. But the morning of Game 5, when asked about his status, he had publicly diagnosed himself at "85 percent" -- a comment he says has since been misunderstood. Lin was not 85 percent healthy, he says, but rather 15 percent away from the absolute minimum threshold to play.

ON LOVING NEW YORK

"I love the New York fans to death," Lin says. "That's the biggest reason why I wanted to return to New York. The way they embraced me, the way they supported us this past season, was better than anything I've ever seen or experienced. I'll go to my grave saying that. What New York did for me was unbelievable. I wanted to play in front of those fans for the rest of my career."

C_Mund
07-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Now that I think about it...looking back at how Miami owned Lin..it was really best/refreshing for the league to see...really think every team is going to make it a point to do it to him everytime they play him going forward..especially since he doesnt have anyone else on the court like he did with Melo and Stat this coming year..going to be a rough season for him now.

Didn't he play his best basketball without those two on the court though?

SouthSideRookie
07-18-2012, 01:44 PM
last year the knicks were so bad that they reached to the depths of their bench for any kind of support and this is how they treat the guy who made them somewhat relevant again?

take it as you want knicks fans, but that is exactly what happened, and no signing camby, kidd, and getting felton wont make it better.

and yet you have some NY fans saying Lin is leaving a championship contender and going to a trash team. The almighty Knicks won two more games than the Rockets did, Houston played in a much tougher conference. Knicks were on the cusp of spiraling to lottery territory, Lin salvaged their season and helped them stay afloat while Carmelo recovered.

trini_knickfan
07-18-2012, 01:45 PM
money talks!

Losoway
07-18-2012, 01:45 PM
The part about Dolan and the vets telling him to sit out the playoffs made me sick.

false . he was at 85 percent and refused to play :facepalm::facepalm:

LongIslandIcedZ
07-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Trade for him!!

NYY 26 to 7
07-18-2012, 01:46 PM
You don't hire a team of agents and have them talking about in the media getting the best deal if you "really wanted NY". You made the right decision for you and your family and can go play in a situation where you are the center piece with max money. Just don't act like there was more to it than that like you had no choice regardless of what you wanted. This means yea at max money I would rather be in NY. Doesn't work like that but good luck - it will be a situation where they can build and he can learn for a few years rather than have the pressure of a big contract in NY.

BKLYNpigeon
07-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Jeremy Lin #17 NYK Merchadise now 95% off.

torocan
07-18-2012, 01:47 PM

Lin did NOT structure the contract, the CBA did. It MUST be 5 and 5 in the first 2 years. They can ONLY raise the 3rd year because he falls under Gilbert Arenas.

The ROCKETS drafted the contract, NOT Lin.

And the Rockets UNILATERALLY raised the offer before presenting it to him.

The root of the Knicks' frustrations with the Rockets, sources said, was the fact that they broke what is seen as an unspoken rule in negotiations by changing an informal offer during the moratorium that ran from July 1 to July 11. Houston initially offered Lin a three-year, $19.5 million deal, and those figures were widely reported after it was put forth.

The Knicks, at the time, seemed more than willing to match the offer. But the Rockets would later change it to the three-year, $25.1 million deal that was much tougher for New York to swallow. The third-year salary was increased from about $9 million to nearly $15 million, a figure that -- when coupled with the NBA's new punitive luxury tax that starts in 2013-14 -- would wreak havoc on the Knicks' already-bloated 2014-15 payroll. The Rockets recently had traded point guard Kyle Lowry to the Raptors for a first-round pick, which was seen as a major part of their proposal to try to acquire Magic center Dwight Howard. They also failed to re-sign free agent Goran Dragic, creating a void at point guard that Lin will now fill.

"We no longer had Lowry or Dragic," Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said in an interview with SI.com late Tuesday night, "and at that point we thought it made sense to offer him more money and increase our chances of getting him."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/07/18/jeremy-lin-houston-rockets-daryl-morey/index.html?sct=nba_t11_a3

Da Knicks
07-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Good luck Lin, congrats on that contract never imagined you could get a contract that big...

torocan
07-18-2012, 01:49 PM

Except this was ALSO reported during the playoffs, AND Chandler said he had advised Lin not to play before he was able to play.

John Walls Era
07-18-2012, 01:50 PM

Yeah because every team is capable of playing D like the Heat... I mean they just won the championship, I'm sure the 8th seed Knicks are able to play D like that... not.

Scooby-Doo
07-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Jeremy Lin is a loser who abandoned the team that took a chance on him. He was always overrated and will rot in Houston. I am glad he's now gone, because there will no longer be an overpopulated fan base loaded with Asians who know nothing about the Knicks or basketball - outside of the fact that Lin plays(ed) for the team. I am not going to be surprised next year hearing people talk about Lin as if he's still on the Knicks.

akesh99
07-18-2012, 01:51 PM
100% of the blame has to go on the Knicks FO not Lin

John Walls Era
07-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Jeremy Lin is a loser who abandoned the team that took a chance on him. He was always overrated and will rot in Houston. I am glad he's now gone, because there will no longer be an overpopulated fan base loaded with Asians who know nothing about the Knicks or basketball - outside of the fact that Lin plays(ed) for the team. I am not going to be surprised next year hearing people talk about Lin as if he's still on the Knicks.

He Mad

Punk
07-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Good. So, come back in 3 years if you "preferred" it. Sign as a UFA. Knicks should have matched but Lin is no angel either with this scenario.

mvb815
07-18-2012, 01:54 PM

he was at 85% towards the minimum able to play.

if you're going to comment on an article please first read the article

rhino17
07-18-2012, 01:54 PM
He ABANDONED the knicks? hahaha

the knicks didn't match his contract, the knicks abandoned him

JerseyPalahniuk
07-18-2012, 01:55 PM

False. He was 85% of the mininmum amount of energy it would take to play in an NBA game. Not 85% of his maximum ability. Read the article before posting dude. If you believe 85% which JEREMY LIN said why not read his explanation of that comment? he couldn't even touch the rim let alone defend the Miami Heat

Reyes6
07-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Article definitely has a Knicks bias, but I can't wait to see what he can do in Houston.

ChicagoRox

Yup a big loser! With a Harvard degree, making 25 mil. Sure sux. And I am pretty sure all Asians know nothing about basketball too. Scooby your the best poster ever!!!!!

LongIslandIcedZ
False. He was 85% of the mininmum amount of energy it would take to play in an NBA game. Not 85% of his maximum ability. Read the article before posting dude. If you believe 85% which JEREMY LIN said why not read his explanation of that comment? he couldn't even touch the rim let alone defend the Miami Heat

This.

I was lead to believe that he was 85% of the way to stepping on the court. I dont think it means he was 85% of perfect.

cubbies7177
07-18-2012, 02:00 PM

i couldn't agree more... his explosiveness was a result of:

1. no scouting reports
2. melo/stat/chandler. Without Chandler to lob alley oops to... without ANYONE to dish the ball to... he's going to have to do what dwill did in new jersey this past year... dwill shot 35+% FG and while having decent scoring statistics, really struggled in every other department. you can expect that with lin but multiplied by 100 .... he really messed up IMO.

he's getting paid $$ in salary, but losing in endorsements and most definitely losing recognition... which is the only real reason he's making that much. imagine he goes 12ppg, 5ast, 5to... which is TOTALLY possible.. he wont be anyone. even in asia......

nice try tho JLin. i went to the "other school in boston" and can tell you for a fact that harvard jocks are so ******** lolololol.. loved having these dumb jocks come into my econ/finance classes and make the averages so much better.

mvb815
07-18-2012, 02:04 PM

1. no scouting reports
2. melo/stat/chandler. Without Chandler to lob alley oops to... without ANYONE to dish the ball to... he's going to have to do what dwill did in new jersey this past year... dwill shot 35+% FG and while having decent scoring statistics, really struggled in every other department. you can expect that with lin but multiplied by 100 .... he really messed up IMO.

he's getting paid $$ in salary, but losing in endorsements and most definitely losing recognition... which is the only real reason he's making that much. imagine he goes 12ppg, 5ast, 5to... which is TOTALLY possible.. he wont be anyone. even in asia......

nice try tho JLin. i went to the "other school in boston" and can tell you for a fact that harvard jocks are so ******** lolololol.. loved having these dumb jocks come into my econ/finance classes and make the averages so much better.

do you seriously think j lin is going to lose endorsement opportunities because he is leaving the knicks? and recognition?

do you know how many asians their are?

torocan
07-18-2012, 02:05 PM
This.

I was lead to believe that he was 85% of the way to stepping on the court. I dont think it means he was 85% of perfect.

This.

The question he was actually asked was how far was he from being able to play.

John Walls Era
07-18-2012, 02:06 PM

1. no scouting reports

:laugh: Okok sure

rhino17
07-18-2012, 02:06 PM
he's getting paid $$ in salary, but losing in endorsements and most definitely losing recognition... which is the only real reason he's making that much.

LOSING endorsements????

How would that work? If anything, he will by gaining endorsements by playing in Houston

williams
07-18-2012, 02:07 PM

and if his knee exploded because he came back too early (see rose) he'd be getting paid what now? nothing?? that's why the vets talked him down - they understand the business.

dh144498
07-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Knicks are falling apart. It's their own fault.

John Walls Era
07-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Knicks fans are lucky. They have an out: They can cheer for the other better team in NY now.

Losoway
07-18-2012, 02:13 PM
the fact still remains he was 85 percent he refused to step on court because he didnt wanna decrease his value in the free agency

he knew what he was doing along. that vet talked him down was bs

im still happy about my knicks good move!

CityofTreez
07-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Weird offseason for the Knicks.

Lose youth in Fields & Lin, but add older guys in Kidd & Felton. Instead of building chemistry, they are going to have to find it again. Lin had a high asking price, but i thought NY would pay it.

noodle
07-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Knicks fans are lucky. They have an out: They can cheer for the other better team in NY now.

Not the better team,but definitely better owner!

rhino17
07-18-2012, 02:18 PM
the fact still remains he was 85 percent he refused to step on court because he didnt wanna decrease his value in the free agency

you are officially illiterate

Bigbadmoffo
07-18-2012, 02:20 PM

Do you blame him? This kid is a 3rd string pg who had a fluke streak and he's getting 10 times what he's worth. I hate the knicks but they dodged a huge bullet.

DieHardColtsfan
07-18-2012, 02:20 PM
This was a good read.

At the end of the day, the Knicks should have offered him a 4 year deal right out of the gate. They took a strategic gamble and lost in the end.

With what developed during that period of time was out of the Knicks control, albeit brought on by New York. A desperate team with lack of direction offered just about everything but the kitchen sink to get Lin. When this happened, I can’t blame the Knicks for not matching. We’ve heard arguments about what Lin did for the Knicks & what the Knicks did for Lin. The Knicks gambled once by letting the market dictate what Lin was worth, they certainly weren’t going to double down and gamble again matching an absurd offer while hoping Lin remains destined for stardom while paying boat loads in lux tax. Or banking on moving a large contract two years from now to help subside the lux tax.

The stars didn’t align. What’s done is done.

Bigbadmoffo
07-18-2012, 02:21 PM
I can't wait for the season to start and for ppl to see that there are no fairy tales in basketball.

Vincent
07-18-2012, 02:22 PM

1. no scouting reports

I disagree, Houston is probably a better opportunity for him because he'll be the focal point of the offense.

In NY he has to play within Mike Woodson's system that revolves around isolation packages with Melo.

That is definitely not a recipe of success for a guy who made a living off the free flowing offense, through the pick and roll.

PleaseBeNice
07-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Honestly I wanted him to stay buried on the bench so Linsanity wouldn't be shoved down my throat every time I wanted to watch Sportscenter for a couple of highlights, or get on the internet regardless.

justinnum1
07-18-2012, 02:26 PM
knicks should have kept him, more so because the money he would have made off the court.

effen5
07-18-2012, 02:29 PM
That was actually a great read.

I think Mike Woodson wanted Lin back but the FO had other plans which made Lin go a different direction.

Either way, the FO was at fault here, not Lin. They never initially offered him a contract, (probably thought Lin wasn't going to get paid and match what ever ****** contract is offered to him), Houston offers him a large contract, FO had no idea he was going to get paid that much and declines to match.

In conclusion, Knicks FO is ********. But we've known this for over a decade now.

JiffyMix88
07-18-2012, 02:30 PM
i love that the rockets got him just because i think its so damn funny how these knick fans are so hurt by this turnover machine

TeamSeattle
07-18-2012, 02:32 PM
That was actually a great read.

I think Mike Woodson wanted Lin back but the FO had other plans which made Lin go a different direction.

Either way, the FO was at fault here, not Lin. They never initially offered him a contract, (probably thought Lin wasn't going to get paid and match what ever ****** contract is offered to him), Houston offers him a large contract, FO had no idea he was going to get paid that much and declines to match.

In conclusion, Knicks FO is ********. But we've known this for over a decade now.

Why does that have to be so true :facepalm:

Snakeyestx
07-18-2012, 02:34 PM

^ This. They didn't even MAKE an offer before Houston did... so who's fault is it really?

ILMindState
You guys see this parody song? hahah man it didn't take long at all for someone to make one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t45jqsVSJWI&sns=tw

JerseyPalahniuk

Can you not understand articles? Wow.

And glad you finally declared the Knicks as your team. We don't need bangwagon fans.

effen5
I find it funny also when Knicks fans say they took a chance on Lin, but they were about to cut him and the only reason they let him play was because he was the very last option.

KnickFanSince91
07-18-2012, 02:36 PM
That attempt at explaining the 85% thing is the biggest piece of bull **** I have heard in a long time. 85% away from being able to meet the minimum requirements to play? Child please :laugh:

Wade>You
07-18-2012, 02:38 PM
People hate Jeremy Lin for leaving the Knicks for MORE money instead of winning.

People hate Heat players for leaving their teams for LESS money for a chance to win.

With that kind of hypocrisy, do people really believe that players give a **** about what fans think?

Get over yourselves.

Deal with it!

And FWIW, the Knicks made the RIGHT decision. Not too many times you can say that about them.

torocan
This was a good read.

At the end of the day, the Knicks should have offered him a 4 year deal right out of the gate. They took a strategic gamble and lost in the end.

With what developed during that period of time was out of the Knicks control, albeit brought on by New York. A desperate team with lack of direction offered just about everything but the kitchen sink to get Lin. When this happened, I canít blame the Knicks for not matching. Weíve heard arguments about what Lin did for the Knicks & what the Knicks did for Lin. The Knicks gambled once by letting the market dictate what Lin was worth, they certainly werenít going to double down and gamble again matching an absurd offer while hoping Lin remains destined for stardom while paying boat loads in lux tax. Or banking on moving a large contract two years from now to help subside the lux tax.

The stars didnít align. Whatís done is done.

This is mostly how I view it.

Maybe Lin would have re-signed if they'd hit the table first, maybe not. However, freezing him out for a month is not the best negotiation tactic.

Rockets were desperate and gave him an offer he couldn't refuse.
Knicks made a financial choice.

Such is life.

LongIslandIcedZ
Sucks, I really wanted him back. I suppose that was a ton of money to be giving him, but I dont care.

Knicks have a very veteran team, which fits in well to their three year window before everyone becomes a free agent. I'm excited for the season, I think the Knicks are gonna surprise a lot of people.

I still love how other fan's say we should have brought him back. If we had brought him back, most of the same people would bashed the Knicks for overpaying. Clowns.

GiantsSwaGG
07-18-2012, 02:41 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/07/18/jeremy-lin-exclusive/index.html

Grunwald is an OG.

Read his quote

nycsports2
07-18-2012, 02:44 PM
lol it seems like some people dont even read the article lmaooo fkn idiots

nycsports2
07-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Sucks, I really wanted him back. I suppose that was a ton of money to be giving him, but I dont care.

Knicks have a very veteran team, which fits in well to their three year window before everyone becomes a free agent. I'm excited for the season, I think the Knicks are gonna surprise a lot of people.

I still love how other fan's say we should have brought him back. If we had brought him back, most of the same people would bashed the Knicks for overpaying. Clowns.

this exactly lol.. #NYCEvilEmpire

ccg34
07-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Jeremy Lin is a class act. I can't believe there was so much hate when he left. In the end, NY had a choice: to keep him or let him go. What did you expect him to do? Take less money? NY made it clear that they would match any offer. Lin thought they were telling the truth, he didn't think it would have mattered how much money he took. You might as well take as much as you can get while you are young. I root for players now since the Sonics left. I am off the Knicks bandwagon. They had something special and gave it up for nothing. dolan was being cheap. He definitely could have made his money back. He actually brought the Knicks positive press. They haven't seen that since the Houston and Ewing days.

Knowledge
07-18-2012, 02:53 PM
did you read the article? he could be making 9 figures in endorsements, but he wants to focus on basketball. he was just doing what ny told him to do.

What NY told him to do? Or what the players told him to do?And what does his lack of endorsements have to do with wanting to play in NY or going to Houston?

He can still get those endorsements in Houston as his popularity as a Asian American basketball player will still exist as long as he is Asian. Will he get as many as he would have gotten if he remained with the Knicks? Who knows. But the money he gets from Houston is guaranteed and doesn't vary based on performance like endorsements. I'm not saying he isn't a good guy or that he didn't enjoy his time in NY, but he is also a very smart businessman. He took the better financial opportunity from a guaranteed standpoint.

Da Knicks
07-18-2012, 02:54 PM
knicks should have kept him, more so because the money he would have made off the court.

Just days ago you said the opposite...:confused: i thought it was you maybe it was your twin domefavors...oh well we will soon find out. Im very happy with Felton and Kidd leading the way...

NYK4L
07-18-2012, 02:55 PM
I don't think it ever crossed his mind that the knicks wouldn't match, few people experienced what he did if ever. He'll have a bright future if Houston can sorround him with some talent, but he can't be the focal point of any team, he's so young. The pressure will be to much.

ccg34
07-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Felton blows. He ain't even a top 20 pg. The Knicks blew it big time.

Blitzace137
07-18-2012, 02:57 PM

:clap:

justinnum1
07-18-2012, 02:58 PM

Lin isn't that good either, but yea, looks like they blew it.

ccg34
07-18-2012, 03:03 PM

Lin is a good player with a ton of potential and he has the potential to be a global icon. I was in the Philippines during February and Linsanity was spreading crazily. Fake Lin jerseys were being sold everywhere. I even bought one for about 4$. Good quality too. lol

BrandoCommando
07-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Lin sucks.

LongIslandIcedZ

A couple days ago you said the Knicks became better than the Nets by getting Felton.

Was that just trolling?

The goods
Trying to save face,just shut up and go to Houston.

VillaMaravilla
07-18-2012, 03:09 PM
he was at 85% towards the minimum able to play.

if you're going to comment on an article please first read the article

Thats bs, im a knick and I know what he said and how he said at that time, answer me this why it take him so long to clear this up? Funny thing is if we would of matched everyone on here would be ripping us f(r it just you all are doing now matching.....Knick haters at theirfinest lol.....

Knowledge
07-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Lin did NOT structure the contract, the CBA did. It MUST be 5 and 5 in the first 2 years. They can ONLY raise the 3rd year because he falls under Gilbert Arenas.

The ROCKETS drafted the contract, NOT Lin.

And the Rockets UNILATERALLY raised the offer before presenting it to him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/07/18/jeremy-lin-houston-rockets-daryl-morey/index.html?sct=nba_t11_a3

I'm pretty sure SA Smith reported that Knicks told Lin that they would match any offer. The Rockets offered Lin a unofficial deal and he came back and told the Knicks what the deal was. The Knicks had no problem matching the first offer. Lin then went back and told the Rockets that the Knicks would match the offer and the Rockets revised it.

I'm not blaming him for properly using the market to his advantage, I'm just saying financial security in the form of guaranteed money played a large part in all of this too.

Sactown
07-18-2012, 03:13 PM
What did you expect Lin to do? He received no offer and the Knicks were targeting PG's... I'd sign any contract that came my way too... You can only wait so long before you say **** it and start looking out for yourself and not the Knicks.. a team he is technically no longer a part of..

heyman321
07-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Thats bs, im a knick and I know what he said and how he said at that time, answer me this why it take him so long to clear this up? Funny thing is if we would of matched everyone on here would be ripping us f(r it just you all are doing now matching.....Knick haters at theirfinest lol.....

Because no one was "accusing" him of being able to play but not wanting to. Only homer Knick fans like you and Punk on internet forums are. Did you read the article? RIGHT BEFORE game 5, Dolan and all the vets on the team basically told him to NOT play.

LOOTERX9
07-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Because no one was "accusing" him of being able to play but not wanting to. Only homer Knick fans like you and Punk on internet forums are. Did you read the article? RIGHT BEFORE game 5, Dolan and all the vets on the team basically told him to NOT play.

Yeah this exactly, I was mad at Lin too for the 85% comment but me now knowing that the owner and players told him not to play now I have changed my opinion. I think the knicks organization are clowns now

TheWhiteMamba
07-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Good. So, come back in 3 years if you "preferred" it. Sign as a UFA. Knicks should have matched but Lin is no angel either with this scenario.

So it's his fault he went out and signed the best offer available all the while being told by the NYK that they were gonna match anything offer.

effen5
07-18-2012, 04:01 PM
So it's his fault he went out and signed the best offer available all the while being told by the NYK that they were gonna match anything offer.

Well what's sad was the Knicks never offered Lin a dime. He only signed the sheet that was in front of him and that's Houston's offer.

clydebino
07-18-2012, 04:11 PM
I think the Rockets will be better than the Knicks this year. Not just because of Lin, but Martin will bounce back and Royce White looks like a boss.

Puck017
07-18-2012, 04:11 PM
100% of the blame has to go on the Knicks FO not Lin

I completely agree. Its not like Lin had the option of signing any other offer sheets. The Knicks never even put one together for him they just got cocky and said the would match anything that he was offered and folded when the Rockets called their bluff by changing the only offer that Lin had on the table.

BigBlueCrew
07-18-2012, 04:13 PM

exactly

When someone comes up to you (whether is Jeremy Lin) or anyone for that matter and asks you are you ready to go or how you are feeling? its not a calculus question. Im at 50% of 100% of minimum playing strength therefore I'm at 85% percent. Its a simple question either your ready or not ready. Lin is just backtracking at this moment.

__________________________________________________ _______

This was his original statement back in May.........

"When I worked out, I was probably going 80-85 percent and I just figured in a week I might be 100 percent," Lin said after Knicks shootaround on Wednesday. "... I think to get from 85 percent to 100 percent takes more time than I would have thought."

Lin added that he isn't able to move the way he'd like to before returning to the court.

"It's a matter of me really being able to cut and jump at 100 percent, not at 85, 90 percent," he said. "I could jump but I really can't jump the way I want to. When I get to that point, I'll be fine."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7910037/2012-nba-playoffs-new-york-knicks-jeremy-lin-unwilling-play-knee-85-percent

Puck017
07-18-2012, 04:23 PM
comment pwned by torocan

utl768
07-18-2012, 04:25 PM
knicks should have locked him up right away

lin is gonna be a star if the rockets get a big

torocan
07-18-2012, 04:31 PM
I also believe the only reason Lin didn't sign the 4yr $31M offer sheet he originally got from the Rockets is because as an Harvard graduate in economics he assumed that the Knicks FO would have enough intelligence to offer him a 4yr $31M contract that didn't have a poison pill in the third year that would hurt the team he was going to play on. Not that you need to be an Harvard grad to figure that much out though. But the Rockets just ended up making the right moves to get Lin while the Knicks chatted up Kidd and Felton.

He only met with Houston 2x. Once prior to July 11 (verbal, NOTHING to sign, NOT allowed to sign a contract), and after July 11 (where he signed).

There was NO 4yr/$31M or 4yr/$28M offer ON PAPER to sign. Only the 3 year/$25M that was put in front of him.

arkanian215
07-18-2012, 04:35 PM
0a

Zefflin
07-18-2012, 04:36 PM
What a ***** Lin is.

arkanian215
07-18-2012, 04:44 PM
0a

Chill_Will_24
07-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Listen to this!! THIS is why Lin left: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8176726&s=espn

KingPosey
07-18-2012, 06:02 PM

1. no scouting reports

cool.

Dont spill any glue on your hand cuz I dont want it to get stuck to your back.

Dumb jocks in my eco/finace classes hehehehe eco/finance dumb jocks, stupid dumb jock macho pigs are ******** hehehehehehehe

HEY EVERYONE, CUBBIES WENT TO MIT IM PRETTY SURE.

Why didnt you just say it, instead of looking like a coy p---y, that wanted to tell everyone where he went to school so bad, but tried to bury it in the story? Its pathetic.

And if it wasnt MIT, its even more pathetic because no one gives a **** about Boston College.

Aust
07-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Not going bother reading the comments on this thread. Assuming it's full of angry Knicks fans bashing Lin to kingdom come

blahblahyoutoo
07-18-2012, 07:33 PM
LOSING endorsements????

How would that work? If anything, he will by gaining endorsements by playing in Houston

he's not losing endorsements. that BS is just something NY'ers like to hype up.

it's no longer the horse and buggy era. we're in a global market today where information travels around the world in the blink of a tweet.

WhiteSoxGod
07-18-2012, 07:36 PM
LOL I love whiny New Yorkers they are hilarious. EDDY CURRY...MVP....MVP....MVP. Ha Ha Ha. I love how pissy mad they are now that what everyone thought would never happen, happened.

FraziersKnicks
07-18-2012, 07:38 PM
At the end of the day no one put a gun to his head and forced him to sign the deal. No one forced him to restructure the deal after telling Houston the Knicks would match. No one forced him to make it almost impossible for the Knicks to re-sign him financially.

You loved New York so much? Sacrifice the money the Rockets stupidly threw at you then..

Don't try and play the sob story now bro. Good luck in Houston, but I'm not sad he's gone. 26 games means nothing. And no, I'm not a fair-weather Lin fan, I've always been skeptical about him. I'm not disappointed he's gone, we'll survive.

BigBongTheory
07-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, New York told everyone they would sign any deal. And when he inked the new one with HOU he knew that the Knicks would match, but unfortunately for him he thought wrong, He made the wrong decision in his own mind. If he could have taken the original deal and stayed with New York, I think he would choose that one. Is what it is LIN.

FOBolous
07-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Jeremy Lin is a loser who abandoned the team that took a chance on him.

the Knicks "took a chance on him?" You act like the NYK saw something special in him that no one else did and decide to give him a chance. no. the ONLY reason why the Knicks played him is because they literally had no one left. they had no choice BUT to play him. and they were planning on cutting him after that game. LIN GAVE HIMSELF A CHANCE by proving his distractors wrong. you NY fans really need to stop trying to rewrite history and stop with your "holier than thou" attitude.

He was always overrated and will rot in Houston.

No. If he continues to play well, he will do just as well as he would've been in NYC. The Rockets already have lots of connections with businesses in Asia from the Yao Ming era. Their relations with Asian businesses will continue with Lin. Barring a major regression, Lin will do just as well financially with the Rockets' established connections in China and Taiwan as he would've been in NYC.

And it's not like Houston's a small market. It's the energy capital of the world with the largest medical center in the world that is renouned for its cancer treatments. The #1 hospital in the US for cancer treatments is in Houston. It's also THE most diverse city in the US ahead of LA and NYC (don't believe me? google it). Not to mention it's the 4th most populous city in the United States right behind Chicago. 22 Fortune 500 companies have their headquarters in Houston...only New York City house more Fortune 500 company headquarters than Houston. So Lin will do just fine in Houston in terms of exposure.

And really, in the end, Houston's better for his career than NYC. In NYC, he will have to figure out how to get touches on a team filled with me-first ballhogging players. Things are only going to get worse with a head coach that caters to the ballhogging attitude of NY's "superstar." In Houston, he will be the the focus of the offense in Mchale's PG-centric p&r offense. In Houston, he will be allowed to do whatever he wants without having to worry about the feelings of immature "stars."

And...no, NYC is NOT a better team, or franchise, than Houston. Houston has consistently done better than NYC every year this past decade in a better conference. Houston also had more MVPs, more championships, and more final appearances than NYC. So i find it REALLY funny how some NYK fans are acting "high and mighty" about their team.

I am glad he's now gone, because there will no longer be an overpopulated fan base loaded with Asians who know nothing about the Knicks or basketball - outside of the fact that Lin plays(ed) for the team. I am not going to be surprised next year hearing people talk about Lin as if he's still on the Knicks.

dude that's racist. what? just because someone's Asian, they don't know anything about basketball? As an Asian myself, I beg to differ.

Supa
07-18-2012, 08:04 PM

"Impossible" for the Knicks to sign? >> fill a billion dollar joke here <<

Not only can Knicks match the contract, they can also trade it after 1 year or two for some assets.

But Dolan and his people just couldn't make good basketball decision.

---

FOBolous
07-18-2012, 08:12 PM

First of all...Houston's the one that restructured Lin's contract because Houston was desperate for a PG and a popular player that can fill the seats.

second of all...IT WAS NOT IMPOSSIBLE FOR KNICKS TO SIGN HIM. Here's a fact you probably did not consider: the contracts of Kidd+Felton+Camby = to Lin's contract. Add Kurt Thomas to the mix and NYC just added FOUR NEW WASHED UP PLAYERS who's combined contracts is more than Lin's salary. If they REALLY wanted Lin, they could've matched Houston's offer instead of signing 4 new useless players for the same amount of money.

If I was Lin, I would consider this to be a slap in the face. Instead of being loyal to me and showing me appreciation for saving your season, you decide to replace me with for washed-up players. great. well eff you too.

kubernetes
07-18-2012, 08:33 PM
At the end of the day no one put a gun to his head and forced him to sign the deal. No one forced him to restructure the deal after telling Houston the Knicks would match. No one forced him to make it almost impossible for the Knicks to re-sign him financially.

The Knicks told him to go shop around and that they would match.

What is Lin supposed to do, tell Houston "Nice offer, but it's too much"?

Is he supposed to refuse money and hold out for a possible Knicks offer that may or may not come? In the end, the Knicks did not make him an offer to open, nor an offer to match.

I'm still a Knicks fan, but what a clusterf**k by the FO. They could have offered him a reasonable contract to open and he would have signed. Instead we have Fat Felton and Kidd behind bars. Ugh.

Supa
07-18-2012, 08:41 PM
NEW YORK (AP) ó Former Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin is going to Houston, Linsanity and its barrage of puns are over, and Madison Square Garden Co. shareholders don't seem excited.

The Knicks were once seen as a sure bet to match any contract offered to Lin, who went from an afterthought to a starter over the winter and became a free agent after this season. But after the Rockets offered Lin a three-year contract worth about $25 million, including almost $15 million in the third season, the Knicks agreed to trade for another point guard and reports indicated the team was willing to let Lin go.

The team announced its decision Tuesday night and its 72-hour window to match the Rockets' offer expired at midnight. Shares of MSG fell a combined 6.5 percent combined Monday and Tuesday and were trading slightly lower Wednesday afternoon, down 54 cents to $35.38. Earlier the stock lost as much as 1.8 percent.

Despite the excitement Lin brought to the team's fan base and the potential revenue he represented, the contract could have cost the Knicks millions of dollars in additional salary cap penalties in the 2014-15 season.

Bloomberg reported Wednesday that at least two Knicks sponsors are not renewing one-year deals with the team. Still, Lin helped make MSG a significant amount of money. Shares of the company are up 22 percent since Linsanity began in early February. The fervor surrounding Lin helped MSG's bargaining position in a dispute with Time Warner Cable, and about two weeks in Lin's storybook run, the companies came to terms on a new contract and MSG was back on the air for around 2 million New York-area Time Warner Cable subscribers.

The stock has been trading at all-time highs for most of that time, peaking at $39.57 on July 3.

:eyebrow:

http://news.yahoo.com/msg-shares-slip-knicks-bids-goodbye-lin-194247974--finance.html?_esi=1

---

Hoopin&Swoopin
07-18-2012, 08:49 PM
LOL I love whiny New Yorkers they are hilarious. EDDY CURRY...MVP....MVP....MVP. Ha Ha Ha. I love how pissy mad they are now that what everyone thought would never happen, happened.

Stuff like this is just as bad as the idiot Knick fans talking ****.

StarvingKnick22
07-18-2012, 08:51 PM
umm isnt that mostly his fault, for re-modeling an unpayable contract to an even more unpayable?

FOBolous
07-18-2012, 08:53 PM
umm isnt that mostly his fault, for re-modeling an unpayable contract to an even more unpayable?

he did not have an "unpayable" contract. the Knicks signed 4 new players...Kidd, Camby, Felton, and Thomas...for the same amount of money Lin would've made in year 3. For all the talk about the cost the Knicks will incur in year 4, they're incurring that cost right now with their 4 new players. Should've stayed loyal to Lin instead of signing for new players.

and no...he's not the one that renegotiated his contract.

kblo247
07-18-2012, 09:28 PM
He's being honest.

I think most Houston fans will understand it.

This and the fact the inky reason he became a Knick is Houston cut him and never gave him a real chance to play the first time