PDA

View Full Version : The RFA system in the NBA- why no compensation?!!

Al Trautwig
07-18-2012, 11:50 AM
How come there is no sort of price a team has to pay for taking an RFA away from his previous team in the NBA?? We essentially just lost Lin because the rockets were able to walk up and create any kind of offer that would screw the knicks and make it really hard to resign Lin without having to pay a price that might have held them back from doing so.

In the NHL (and I think the NFL too but not sure) there is a system including a price a team must pay if they sign away an RFA from his previous team without them matching obviously. Depending on how big the contract the team would have to give up draft picks starting with a 3rd round pick (if they signed him to the lowest amount of money) going all the way up to 4 first round picks (if they signed him to the max contract allowed).

This is in order to make it tougher for opposing teams to just walk up and offer something crazy that while the original team can "technically" match, they know they won't-making an RFA almost like a UFA.

I thought the NBA especially after the new CBA was trying to create a system where teams had a Better shot at retaining there players. I don't know why this has not been implemented does anybody??

I believe it should be and if it was perhaps J Lin would still be a knick

thekmp211
07-18-2012, 12:02 PM
draft picks are too valuable in the nba.

NYKnickFanatic
07-18-2012, 12:04 PM
:facepalm: Dude seriously? You HAD to post this here? You already put it in the Knicks forum.

waveycrockett
07-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Listen Al Trautwig LOL

NYKnickFanatic
07-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Listen Al Trautwig LOL

:laugh2:

PS, youre a Rockets fan now?:eyebrow:

Al Trautwig
07-18-2012, 12:28 PM
:facepalm: Dude seriously? You HAD to post this here? You already put it in the Knicks forum.

Ya but no one responded so I wanted to here some reasons/opinions lol

Jroz
07-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Listen Al Trautwig LOL

I thought you were a Nets fan?..or are you just an anti-knicks fan?

IndyRealist
07-18-2012, 12:33 PM
How come there is no sort of price a team has to pay for taking an RFA away from his previous team in the NBA?? We essentially just lost Lin because the rockets were able to walk up and create any kind of offer that would screw the knicks and make it really hard to resign Lin without having to pay a price that might have held them back from doing so.

In the NHL (and I think the NFL too but not sure) there is a system including a price a team must pay if they sign away an RFA from his previous team without them matching obviously. Depending on how big the contract the team would have to give up draft picks starting with a 3rd round pick (if they signed him to the lowest amount of money) going all the way up to 4 first round picks (if they signed him to the max contract allowed).

This is in order to make it tougher for opposing teams to just walk up and offer something crazy that while the original team can "technically" match, they know they won't-making an RFA almost like a UFA.

I thought the NBA especially after the new CBA was trying to create a system where teams had a Better shot at retaining there players. I don't know why this has not been implemented does anybody??

Retaining TOP players, not average players. All the rule changes regarding free agency do not affect 90% of the NBA. Most guys don't get a 4yr contract, let alone a 5th year. 7.5% raises vs. 4.5% raises only matter if you're making the max. If someone wants to pay $10M/yr for a guy who should be earning the MLE, you let him go and be happy the other team is screwing their cap situation.

Restricted free agency is grossly unfair to the player already, so we're going to make it even more unfair by forcing teams to give up picks? It's unfortunate your team lost out because they didn't budget well, but that's not the Rockets', or Lin's, fault. Had the Knicks planned better, not overpaid for overrated scorers, or, you know, USED THEIR AMNESTY ON AMARE, they wouldn't be in this situation now.

Agents need to convince players to just take the qualifying offer and consider it a 5th (or 3rd) year on their rookie deal. The draft is bad enough for players, rookie deals are grossly underpaid, and restricted free agency is a joke.

BigBlueCrew
07-18-2012, 12:37 PM

:laugh2:

PS, youre a Rockets fan now?:eyebrow:

Cmon you guys should know this answer already. Although I feel sorry for true Nets fans, this pathetic loser WaveyCrockett gives them a bad name.

King41
07-18-2012, 12:41 PM
i think this RFA hting needs to get killed. look what happen to gordon he don't want to be in NO but they bay and that's it

BAYAREA_fan_415
07-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Retaining TOP players, not average players. All the rule changes regarding free agency do not affect 90% of the NBA. Most guys don't get a 4yr contract, let alone a 5th year. 7.5% raises vs. 4.5% raises only matter if you're making the max. If someone wants to pay $10M/yr for a guy who should be earning the MLE, you let him go and be happy the other team is screwing their cap situation.

Restricted free agency is grossly unfair to the player already, so we're going to make it even more unfair by forcing teams to give up picks? It's unfortunate your team lost out because they didn't budget well, but that's not the Rockets', or Lin's, fault. Had the Knicks planned better, not overpaid for overrated scorers, or, you know, USED THEIR AMNESTY ON AMARE, they wouldn't be in this situation now.

Agents need to convince players to just take the qualifying offer and consider it a 5th (or 3rd) year on their rookie deal. The draft is bad enough for players, rookie deals are grossly underpaid, and restricted free agency is a joke.

Disagree with most of this. I think it is unfair that anytime can take away a teams key player by driving the price up to a new height where the team the player played for last year doesn't have the cap to match. I do believe there should be some compensation. And secondly rookie deals are not grossly underpaid. Why would you pay millions of dollars to a guy who hasn't even stepped on an NBA court yet. You gotta prove what your worth in the NBA, so teams might think your worth more then others. But considering most NBA rookies are usually 19-21 years old. I don't think any of them need a **** load of money right away considering they only got themselves to take care of.

TopsyTurvy
07-18-2012, 12:45 PM
When you're guaranteed to sign a mediocre player for entirely too much money by sending the player an offer sheet, do you really need to be taxed a draft pick as well?

waveycrockett
07-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Cmon you guys should know this answer already. Although I feel sorry for true Nets fans, this pathetic loser WaveyCrockett gives them a bad name.

You give knicks fan a great name im sure

waveycrockett
07-18-2012, 12:59 PM

I just like Lin. I'd like to see him do well. Kind of like Tebow bro everyone loves him.

Stinkyoutsider
07-18-2012, 01:06 PM
What the Rockets did to get Lin is called cap management. The Knicks had every right to sign players but when they ran out of cap space, a management decision needed to be made. Does James Dolan feel like paying more millions in luxury tax to keep Lin? Or will he and the Knicks save money by letting him walk.

I think what the Rockets pulled is a little underhanded but totally legal and legit. Look at Lin's last year of the deal. The Rockets structured the deal this way on purpose, knowing the Knicks couldn't match due to previous player contract decisions.

Although Lin was good for NY, his absence won't break your team. NY will still have a good team and will have Kidd step in. If I was Amare or Melo, Lin is a good point guard but I'm not listening to him if he's trying to run my team. I would listen to Kidd though, because he's a hall of famer and has tons more experience.

IndyRealist
07-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Disagree with most of this. I think it is unfair that anytime can take away a teams key player by driving the price up to a new height where the team the player played for last year doesn't have the cap to match. I do believe there should be some compensation. And secondly rookie deals are not grossly underpaid. Why would you pay millions of dollars to a guy who hasn't even stepped on an NBA court yet. You gotta prove what your worth in the NBA, so teams might think your worth more then others. But considering most NBA rookies are usually 19-21 years old. I don't think any of them need a **** load of money right away considering they only got themselves to take care of.

If a player is a "key player" then he should be compensated appropriately. If he's an average player, which Lin most likely is, then if someone wants to overpay for him I'd let him leave. Isn't that basically what happened with Amare? He was a "key player" for the Suns, but the Knicks chose to overpay for him.

If NBA teams weren't protected from their own poor decision making by the rookie scale, maybe they would take the time to make better informed decisions.

Does no one believe in free market economy here? What people are willing to pay determines value.

Al Trautwig
07-18-2012, 01:21 PM
If a player is a "key player" then he should be compensated appropriately. If he's an average player, which Lin most likely is, then if someone wants to overpay for him I'd let him leave. Isn't that basically what happened with Amare? He was a "key player" for the Suns, but the Knicks chose to overpay for him.

If NBA teams weren't protected from their own poor decision making by the rookie scale, maybe they would take the time to make better informed decisions.

Does no one believe in free market economy here? What people are willing to pay determines value.

I have no problem with that at all but since there is restricted free agency-which is another discussion if there should be-the whole point of it is to give the current team the upper hand in retaining that player-whether an amazing max player or any kind of player-and therefore the what the rockets did ,which again was within the rules, showed a flaw in the restricted free agency process because they made an offer specifically in a way where the current team (the Knicks) would be hardpressed to match-which is contrary to what restricted free agency is meant to be.

Therefore if we're gunna have RFA's then there should be more of a real "restriction" for opposing teams to have.

IndyRealist
07-18-2012, 01:25 PM
I have no problem with that at all but since there is restricted free agency-which is another discussion if there should be-the whole point of it is to give the current team the upper hand in retaining that player-whether an amazing max player or any kind of player-and therefore the what the rockets did ,which again was within the rules, showed a flaw in the restricted free agency process because they made an offer specifically in a way where the current team (the Knicks) would be hardpressed to match-which is contrary to what restricted free agency is meant to be.

Therefore if we're gunna have RFA's then there should be more of a real "restriction" for opposing teams to have.

So the issue you have is not actually with restricted free agency, but rather with the "Arenas provision" that allowed the Rockets to average the cap hit for Lin's contract, but not the Knicks. That's a valid argument.

But RFA DOES give the home team a grossly unfair advantage. They get to see what a player's worth on the free market, then they can keep that player no matter what. Doesn't matter what the other team wants, doesn't matter what the player wants.

Puck017
07-18-2012, 02:37 PM
So the issue you have is not actually with restricted free agency, but rather with the "Arenas provision" that allowed the Rockets to average the cap hit for Lin's contract, but not the Knicks. That's a valid argument.

But RFA DOES give the home team a grossly unfair advantage. They get to see what a player's worth on the free market, then they can keep that player no matter what. Doesn't matter what the other team wants, doesn't matter what the player wants.

I think the NBA needs to have provisions like these in order to support 30 teams. Thanks to this provision Cleveland and Orlando got 7 good years before James and Howard left. The players that piss me off the most are the Eli Mannings and Kobe Bryants that refuse to play for the teams that draft them or want to draft them.

I do agree that the "Arenas provision" is kind of messed up.

C_Mund
07-18-2012, 02:47 PM

But where do you draw the line? Do you think the Raps should have to pay Landry Fields 20 mil AND give NY a draft pick? How is that worth it?

If players didn't want to move to a new team, they'd take the qualifying offer and have faith that they'll get paid appropriately by their current team after the contract is up. If they want to get paid now, hey, who are we to say that they can't sign an offer sheet?

Chronz
07-18-2012, 05:43 PM
It was done away with because it screwed teams. Like when the Jazz had to give up Magic Johnson because they "stole" a free agent that was out of his prime. And before that transactions would get messy if the 2 teams couldnt agree on terms.

i think this RFA hting needs to get killed. look what happen to gordon he don't want to be in NO but they bay and that's it

If you dont want to be there then dont sign an offer sheet, becomes a true free agent the next year. But the player wants the money so hes prioritizing it over his freedom. Live with your decision.

Kashmir13579
07-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Call it punishment for signing 'Melo and Amar'e to max contracts. The Knicks don't deserve Lin.

BigBlueCrew
07-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Call it punishment for signing 'Melo and Amar'e to max contracts. The Knicks don't deserve Lin.

Man you are really pissed :laugh:

Chronz
07-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Disagree with most of this. I think it is unfair that anytime can take away a teams key player by driving the price up to a new height where the team the player played for last year doesn't have the cap to match.
The Knicks did have the cap to match. They just refused to spend the money even though they could have minimized the risks involved. Dont blame a logically sound foundation because they were poorly run.

daboywonder2002
07-18-2012, 06:02 PM

hello they have to overpay to get a restricted free agent. i think thats enough of a price right there.

StarvingKnick22
07-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Tim Tebow was a great pick up