PDA

View Full Version : Which Teams Had The Best/Worst Use of the NBA Amnesty Clause?

xabial
07-18-2012, 02:59 AM
What Do You think was the Best Use of the NBA Amnesty Provision and Worst Moves? Try To Pick a Top-5 For Each.

Best Use of the Amnesty seems like a Easy One to choose, and I have a Feeling Everyone Will Say Gilbert Arenas... But its Not as Easy As You think... I don't know what Portland would've Done if Brandon Roy Wasn't Amnestied With all His Knee Problems.. Unlike Gilbert, Brandon Roy Actually Retired..

My Top-5 Worst Uses of the Amnesty

1. Charlie Bell- Warriors Using It On Charlie Bell's $4M Expiring :facepalm: Had Many Long-Term Deals (David Lee, Andris Bidrens) and Club Doesn't exactly Make The Postseason Yearly.. Would've Been Good Insurance On David Lee.
2. Ryan Gomes- Clippers Using It On Ryan Gomes $4M Expiring.
3. Elton Brand- 76ers Use It on Elton Brands $18.1M Expiring. Pretty Sure At The Trade Dealine Brand Could've Netted A Decent Package as a $18.1M Expiring Contract...
4. Luis Scola- Rockets Using It On Luis Scola. Scola's A Good Player. This move Make's a Dwight Trade, more Likely but As of right Now Dwight isn't a Rocket..Scola's an Alright Player, and In My opinion Wasn't Vastly Overpaid...
5. I don't Know (?). Most Teams That Use the Amnesty, Put it To Good Use.

My Top-5 Best Use of The Amnesty

1. Brandon Roy- Portland Use it On Brandon Roy. BRoy Retired Back Then Due to Knee Issues, and I don't know What The Blazers Would've Done Had Not For the Amnesty.
2. Gilbert Arenas- Magic Use It On Gilbert Arenas. (Shell of Himself, b/c of multiple Knee Operations. Was Taking $20M+ In Cap Space For Three Straight Years.)
3. Baron Davis- Cavs Amnesty Baron Davis And His Bloated Contract, and Pave the Way For Kyrie To Be The Face Of Their Franchise. (Fun Fact- The Pick That The Clippers Traded With Baron Davis For Mo Williams Turned Out To be KYRIE IRVING. Win-Win.) You'd think this would be #1, But Too Many Bad Contracts Are Given Out These Days...
4. Travis Outlaw- Epic Fail of a Signing, Outlaw was Signed to Make Up For Stricking Out Completely in the 2010 LeBron FA Bonanza. Nets Get Much Needed Cap Relief and relief out of Outlaws Bloated Contract.
5.Chauncey Billups- Knicks Use it On Billups $14.2M Expiring...But They Actually Have Something To Show For It In Signing Tyson Chandler... Some Argue Knicks Should've Saved It In Case of Amare's Knees/Back., But I truly believe Amare Will Toughen It Out for 2 More Years. (Year-3 He's an Expiring..)

Those are My Top-5 For Worst/Best Uses of the Amnesty... What are Yours??? I May have Left Some1 out who you Disagree With., or you could have some Guys at Higher Priorities than others.

Honorable Mentions That Did Not Make Top-5:.
Brandon Haywood. ($27M Remaining Over three Years)
Andre Blatche ($23M Remaining over three Years)
Josh Childress ($21M remaining over three years)

BklyNyk
07-18-2012, 03:01 AM
Scola. Suck pipe Houston.

BirdIsTheWord
07-18-2012, 03:02 AM
Worst has to be the Warriors. Not sure on the best, maybe NO using it on Rashard Lewis.

b@llhog24
07-18-2012, 03:03 AM
Bell and Arenas.

xabial
07-18-2012, 03:04 AM
Worst has to be the Warriors. Not sure on the best, maybe NO using it on Rashard Lewis.

If a player gets traded.. That Team that acquires Him Can't Use the Amnesty On Him. Rashard Lewis Was in the Last Year of His Contract, and Was Simply Waived.

b@llhog24
07-18-2012, 03:04 AM
Wasn't Birdman Amnestied? (Not saying he should be a candidate btw)

xabial
07-18-2012, 03:07 AM
Wasn't Birdman Amnestied? (Not saying he should be a candidate btw)

Yep. Denver Wanted Nothing To Do With The Tatoo-Man. Owed Under $5M the Next Two Years.. Should've Saved It For Al Harrington!!!!

NYK4L
07-18-2012, 03:07 AM
Knicks, like you said they have something to show for it in Chandler, not to mention doing a 180 on the team defense.

PleaseBeNice
07-18-2012, 03:16 AM
Bell EASILY

Hellcrooner
07-18-2012, 03:20 AM
best? not sure.
Worst? Knicks by a lanslide, he only had one year left and could ahve been used in a sign and trade for chandler, keeping the amnesty in case that tall dude that nO ONE wanted to give knicks insurance for breaks down during his max money, max lenght contract.

apet8945
07-18-2012, 03:22 AM
2. Ryan Gomes- Clippers Using It On Ryan Gomes $4M Expiring.

I'm not sure why you even have the Clippers amnestying Gomes on this list, let alone at number 2 worst.

If Gomes was still on the roster and with all the new additions the Clippers have made, they're payroll would be ~70 million, without a backup Center on the roster.

The Clippers tried to trade him to another team but there were no buyers so they cut the cord on Gomes to allow up some room to fill out the rest of the roster with vet's minimum contracts without going into luxury tax territory. Makes a ton of sense to me.

Not sure how this is worse than the Rockets amnestying Scola or the Sixers amnestying Brand.

xabial
07-18-2012, 03:24 AM
I'm not sure why you even have the Clippers amnestying Gomes on this list, let alone at number 2 worst.

If Gomes was still on the roster and with all the new additions the Clippers have made, they're payroll would be ~70 million, without a backup Center on the roster.

The Clippers tried to trade him to another team but there were no buyers so they cut the cord on Gomes to allow up some room to fill out the rest of the roster with vet's minimum contracts without going into luxury tax territory. Makes a ton of sense to me.

Not sure how this is worse than the Rockets amnestying Scola or the Sixers amnestying Brand.

Shouldn't the Clippers Have Saved It For a Longer Contract? Did the Clippers have any other Long-Term Deal to worry about?

DitchDat
07-18-2012, 03:39 AM
I think using it on an expiring contract is ridiculous.

Amnesty should be used for ri-di-culous albatrass contracts like Arenas and Rashard Lewis.

Run&Gun
07-18-2012, 03:57 AM
Gilbert was def. not the best, although it made sense no one signed him while he was on waivers effectively making Orlando pay the whole salary and got cap relief that didn't really lead to anything anyways.

Warriors Charlie bell was pretty bad, Biedrins should be amnestied, but I'm noticing that because of the way the rules are set up, that you don't get that much monetary relief since the amnestied players are getting paid so little and only teams under the cap can sign them.

apet8945
07-18-2012, 04:16 AM
Shouldn't the Clippers Have Saved It For a Longer Contract? Did the Clippers have any other Long-Term Deal to worry about?

There were only two players on their roster that the Clippers could have used the amnesty clause on. Bledsoe and Gomes were the two players. Griffin just signed that long term deal and everybody else on the roster had signed after the new cba was implemented.

So assuming the Clippers would be smart enough to keep Bledsoe, it was either amnesty Gomes or try and trade him. Trading him didn't work, so he got the boot.

Cracka2HI!
07-18-2012, 04:23 AM

No, the only players they could have used it on were Gomes and Bledsoe. Want to amend your list?

Whomewhome
07-18-2012, 06:59 AM
Knicks and Nets used it best and both used it in different ways.

Knicks had to use it to get Chandler and they used it on a decent player, only to get a better player.
Nets used it on a useless player with probably the worst contract ever given in the NBA

Bornknick73
07-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Dallas didnt want Billups in a S&T. Not for 14 million. It was a tough choice but we ended up with Chandler who took our defense from the bottom half of the league to the top half of the league and for a significant portion of last year it was top 5.

All while winning DPOY.

I doubt it was the worst.

ManOnFire
07-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Scola. Suck pipe Houston.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/256/472/f97.jpg

Enjoy Amare and Melo.

jetsfan28
07-18-2012, 09:25 PM
The Knicks using the amnesty on Billups prevented them from matching Lin and will cost them in excess of $50 million in luxury tax money. However, you could argue that taking Billups in the trade was the bad move and using the amnesty clause on him isn't inherently bad; they also probably would have had to trade Shumpert (well, the pick that got him) to make it a 3 team trade with Billups in it to avoid using the amnesty on him, so he's not the worst.

The worst is clearly Luis Scola. He's simply too good of a player to use the amnesty clause on. Charlie Bell is pretty bad too, but using it on Scola was horrendous. Like the Knicks awful Jared Jeffries trade in 2010 to clear room for LeBron, it was a ridiculous move to try to land a superstar that they had little chance of getting.

The best was Gilbert Arenas. Toxic player who the Magic needed to get rid of. It would have been Roy, but now that he's coming back that isn't as good.

Lloyd Christmas
07-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Charlie ******* Bell...

And the worst part is the GM at the time Larry Riley's explanation,
"Amnesty...uh in all honesty...how important is that?"