PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Amnesty Ryan Gomes

Clippersfan86
07-18-2012, 12:59 AM
4 million off the books. Doesn't free up any usable cap but takes them from luxury tax threshold to a little over 4 mill away from it.

EDUTEXANS
07-18-2012, 01:05 AM
so they signed Hill?

edit nevermind, read about it before

shep33
07-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Why? He's only making 4 mill and is an expiring

Clippersfan86
07-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Why? He's only making 4 mill and is an expiring

Luxury tax threshold. Why waste the amnesty which expires today when you can get rid of his contract now? Basically a waste of space.

jayjay33
07-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Could be a nice pick up if he clears waviers.

m03m03
07-18-2012, 02:37 AM
Could be a nice pick up if he clears waviers.

Oh i doubt it... Dude is the Black Version of Luke Walton :puke:

jayjay33
07-18-2012, 03:21 AM

No......there's only one luke walton.

Method28
07-18-2012, 03:36 AM

:clap: Very True.

It's a strong meaning to say you hate someone you dont know. However, as much as you can possibly hate an athlete you have never met....i hate Gomes. Also VDN for putting him in the situations where he failed. Bringing someone who has not played the whole game and is cold, into a pressure situation to inbound a pass is borderline ********.

And for Gomes to single handidly throw away 3 games (literally) is abusrd. With that being said....I dont like the use of the Amenisty here. He is an expiring contract and it's not like this will help us sign someone else that will be a major contributor to the team.

Imo you use the amenesty on someone who has a multi-year contract and is getting paid the big bucks....a mistake if you will. On someone who has a Joe Johnson contract....something where the team looks back and says "wtf were we thinking."

DitchDat
07-18-2012, 03:42 AM
Well you can't use it on new contracts or players you traded for, so I guess it kinda makes sense.

Method28
07-18-2012, 03:46 AM
Well you can't use it on new contracts or players you traded for, so I guess it kinda makes sense.

I was kinda hopin they would save it just in case Jordan doesn't improve what so ever.

apet8945
07-18-2012, 04:30 AM
I was kinda hopin they would save it just in case Jordan doesn't improve what so ever.

Only two players could have been amnestied on the team, Bledsoe and Gomes. Jordan inked his big contract after the new CBA, so the amnesty clause couldn't be used on him.

And there was a deadline for amnestying players. If we didn't amnesty Gomes earlier today, then we would have lost the ability to amnesty anyone at all.

The reason for the amnesty was to gain a little more wiggle room to sign the backup Center that they lack and sign whoever else they can to vet minimum contracts without going into luxury tax territory. With Gomes on the roster, the Clippers were around 70 million, without a backup Center. Without Gomes, they are around 66 million, just enough room to fill out the roster and stay below the lux tax threshold.

DitchDat
07-18-2012, 04:41 AM
Only two players could have been amnestied on the team, Bledsoe and Gomes. Jordan inked his big contract after the new CBA, so the amnesty clause couldn't be used on him.

And there was a deadline for amnestying players. If we didn't amnesty Gomes earlier today, then we would have lost the ability to amnesty anyone at all.

The reason for the amnesty was to gain a little more wiggle room to sign the backup Center that they lack and sign whoever else they can to vet minimum contracts without going into luxury tax territory. With Gomes on the roster, the Clippers were around 70 million, without a backup Center. Without Gomes, they are around 66 million, just enough room to fill out the roster and stay below the lux tax threshold.

This year, at least. There will be another window next year.

Chronz
07-18-2012, 09:18 PM
I didnt know it expired today but why not use it day 1?

jakezycd3
07-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Never give up! http://www.poci.info/jpg1

soundjunkies2
07-18-2012, 09:59 PM
This year, at least. There will be another window next year.

But the only player that will have been eligible is Bledso.

With such a deep bench he wouldn't of gotten any playing time so this makes sense. Good move IMO.