PDA

View Full Version : just a bit of advice about a team to support

SouthsFinest
07-18-2012, 12:06 AM
So I'm currently supporting the sixers and have been for a while but their FO is really busting up and they are trading iggy ( no doubt ) and he's th e main reason I chose to support them , well that and the history with AI and Dr.j. But I've just notcied the rockets lately because of Royce White and his anxiety ( I too suffer from severe anxiety ) so choosing the rockets would feel like a good move because I can connect with a player on their roster. Also I'm loving their aggresiveness this offseason and the young talent on the team, chandler parson, JLin, terrence ross etc. the way I see it the sixers are flopping and rockets on the rise. Its really hard to pick a team for me too as I live in the UK so I can't really choose the team closest to me. I don't wanna support a " big team " as I don't want to seem a glory hunter but I like watching the heat play. If someone can just mention their point of views and add any other team into the mix it would be great but as ofg right now I'm split between sixers/rockets.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-18-2012, 12:33 AM
Haha well I'm not going to try to convince you to hop on the Nets bandwagon, but if you haven't already read this great article on Royce White:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8096247/on-road-nba-draft-prospect-royce-white

He also may become one of my favorite players if he steps it up. Not because of the anxiety which I definitely think is awesome he is able to live in an NBA environment (atleast so far) but because of his love of John Lennon, the Beatles, and his general calm and composed nature.

NoahH
07-18-2012, 12:41 AM
You want to cheer for the MIAMI HEAT I know it! Do u want to cheer for a loser like the rockets or sixers or the NBA world champion Miami Heat?

bucketss
07-18-2012, 12:51 AM
You want to cheer for the MIAMI HEAT I know it! Do u want to cheer for a loser like the rockets or sixers or the NBA world champion Miami Heat?

please don't tell him to bandwaggon haha. Anyways since you said you're from the uk you should totally support the raptors plus Terrance ross is on the raptors not the rockets:)

nicegoing
07-18-2012, 12:59 AM
A true fan sticks with their team, thick or thin. Pretty lame to jump ship tbh

KaganRS
07-18-2012, 01:04 AM
Pick the Pistons because we have a guy named "English" - perfect !

Secondly , Singler looks British.

Finally , we have the closest thing to soccer hooligan fans in the NBA. Evidenced by the Malice at the Palace and the heckling of the Lakers team at their hotel during the finals.

Lizard King
07-18-2012, 01:30 AM
Listen bro, at least you're not like me.

90s Bulls (I was too young. 8 years old. I have a lot of Bulls stuff from back in the day though. Every color jersey for Pippen/Jordan/Rodman)

2000-2004 Kings (Webber became my favorite player)

2004-2008 Suns (Nash became my favorite player, plus I live in Phoenix and was raised here)

2008-present Bulls (DRose became my third favorite player behind Nash and Howard)

Trust me, I'm a terrible fan. If you love your team, stick with them. At least you'll have that connection with them.

WhiteSoxGod
07-18-2012, 01:35 AM
Please don't become a Rockets fan, we don't like bandwagon fans nor do we want them as fans, sorry.

rhino17
07-18-2012, 01:39 AM
Real fans don't ever switch teams

And you said you don't wanna support a "big team." Despite their recent struggles, the Rockets are traditionally one of the "big teams"

Fnom11
07-18-2012, 01:52 AM
I'd find it pretty hard to be a Knick fan after all these years, especially this one. It's kind of hard to be loyal to a franchise that continues to make bad decisions.

NYK4L
07-18-2012, 02:46 AM
Stick with the Sixers ( though I feel bad for real sixers fans)Be a real fan or just stick with soccer. I hear Beckham is doing Burger King commercials

NYK4L
07-18-2012, 02:59 AM
I'd find it pretty hard to be a Knick fan after all these years, especially this one. It's kind of hard to be loyal to a franchise that continues to make bad decisions.

I'd find it pretty hard to find a heat "fan" that roots for the team instead of always posting something negative about the knicks.

Anyways OP, when you do find a team to root for, just root for them don't come on PSD just to troll other fan bases, you'll just look like an immature child.

naps
07-18-2012, 03:21 AM
If you are not with your team through thick and thin then you can't be a true fan of your team. Stick through the thin then you'll know how much sweeter it becomes when your team starts going into contention mode.

Laker Legend42
07-18-2012, 03:45 AM
Is this about fan support or the right to bandwagon? Most bandwagoneers move with the winner but this is different. Houston is a good choice because they will get a lot of press this coming season

DitchDat
07-18-2012, 03:46 AM
Are you asking us to pick your favorite team? lol

kingsdelez24
07-18-2012, 04:07 AM
I'd say Sacramento, but I bet the Magoofs can't even afford new fans

StephenP
07-18-2012, 04:18 AM
Stick with your team no matter what. All teams hit rough patches, but they will rise again.
I've followed the Mavs since I was old enough to pick a favorite team. The 90's were rough. They had 10 straight years of not making the playoffs, horrible trades, and horrible drafts. Then boom, 12 straight playoff seasons.

If you want a second team to pull for, pick a favorite player (you mentioned Royce White) and follow him. You can root for whatever team he's on at the time.

Fnom11
07-18-2012, 04:32 AM
I'd find it pretty hard to find a heat "fan" that roots for the team instead of always posting something negative about the knicks.

Anyways OP, when you do find a team to root for, just root for them don't come on PSD just to troll other fan bases, you'll just look like an immature child.

Wat? If anything that was a compliment to Knick fans

Xplicit
07-18-2012, 04:35 AM
MIAMI HEAT!!!
-
but Im a fan of Kyrie Irving

Dade County
07-18-2012, 04:52 AM
I can only vote for Florida teams...

and thats if my teams are no longer in the picture, like if the Magic are having a good season, I can watch 1 or 2 of their games, but thats it (I know Howard is leaving you guys... so sad).

But really I only care about teams that are in south Florida.... So I would tell you to enjoy watching the HEAT, and also enjoy watching OKC and the Clippers.

ccg34
07-18-2012, 06:48 AM
I was a Supersonic fan my whole life until they left. I then became a Knicks fan when Linsanity took place. After Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis went to South Beach and Lin left NY, I am officially a Miami Heat and Houston Rocket fan. My main team is Miami now. They also whooped OKC, which is a plus. Not having a sports team from your hometown sucks. Root for players if you dont have a home team.

bigsams50
07-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Stick with the 6ers.

bigsams50
07-18-2012, 07:33 AM
I was a Supersonic fan my whole life until they left. I then became a Knicks fan when Linsanity took place. After Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis went to South Beach and Lin left NY, I am officially a Miami Heat and Houston Rocket fan. My main team is Miami now. They also whooped OKC, which is a plus. Not having a sports team from your hometown sucks. Root for players if you dont have a home team.

Thats what i did when we lost the Hornets. Became a KG fan then.

sunsfan88
07-18-2012, 07:40 AM
San Antonio Spurs. Their a team that nobody ever talks about and is a "big" team as well.

BSardogan
07-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Go for Charlotte if you want to witness and entire re-building process and root for a losing team for a very long time until they (hopefully) start winning.

Cleveland if you want to be part of a re-building procces that has already started a while ago, you root for a bunch talented players that are at the fresh beginning of their careers and if you like hating on LeBron.

Houston if you like Chinese guys in red.

But yea, İ don't see how you can switch franchises all of a sudden because you don't like some of the moves the FO made. When you start rooting for a team, you root for Everything about them. Their history, their idendity, their players no matter how bad they are.

Philly is actually a beatiful team to root for. The origin of their name, their jerseys, their legendary players (Wilt, Dr. J and İverson were some of the most entertaining players the league has ever seen). No reason to stop being a fan simply because they're not conteders now.

Just because Houston a bunch of talent now doesn't mean you should start rooting for them, especially not if you're planning on switching franchises as soon as they start sucking again.

teamLAKERS24
07-18-2012, 08:31 AM
bandwagon fans.. wtf!hahaha

LongIslandIcedZ
07-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Knicks are obviously my favorite

But after that, my second favorite is definitely the Rockets.

Loved T-Mac and Yao, love Lin. No question.

hestar
07-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Why not just stick with the Sixers? I stuck with the heat throufh the 90's and look what happened,they eventually won 2 titles (To this day I still want to punch Allan Houston in the face).I also stuck with the Dolphins and look what happened,nm,don't look it's a god awful mess :(.

NYY 26 to 7
07-18-2012, 08:51 AM
What kind of fan does this. I just don't understand. You don't just switch and choose who you root for. If your team is knocked outa the playoffs and you want to have some rooting interest I get why sometimes people will root for particular team in the playoffs but it's not like you act like a fan of that team and celebrate. This is a joke.

GH19
07-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Have the sixers remain your favorite team and then have the Rockets become your second favorite team. One team's in the East, the other in the West, so there is no harm having a rooting interest in both.

Zone1
07-18-2012, 09:15 AM
@SouthFinest Dude Go for Bulls. Wouldn't be glory hunting either since we haven't won crap since the Jordan era and our FO are terrible at recruiting good players. The players we have are very likeable and have potential....I'm from England too.

But If your really a Sixers fan, I would stick with them...Don't change teams because your FO is making terrible moves, that's a crapy excuse!

dalton749
07-18-2012, 09:19 AM
I picked my team (toronto) for a similar reason as your choice of Houston. They had rasual butler who has a severely large penis, which I also suffer from. He was cut and now I'm torn between teams to cheer for

aLau10
07-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Seriously, I was born in the '90s so I was too young to truly understand and enjoy the work done by Jordan & Pippen (& Rodman later on). But because my brother was so in love with the Bulls, and he was the one that taught me basketball, I immediately became a Bulls fan, but when that happened thats when the Bulls were the worst in their division and ever since they slowly got better but still barely a playoff team. That is until DRose came =D

Plus I live in Toronto now, so I root for the Raps too, and dont even mention all the bad draft picks, trades, management decision they have done. I know and its outrageous.

SouthsFinest
07-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Seems like people have misunderstood me. I have only just recently got back into the NBA and I chose the sixers because I love iggy but now it seems he is going to be traded. Then I read up on Royce White and I can kind of see where he's coming from on alot of issues so that is more of a personal support. I am not Bandwaggoning at all I just want people's views etc. It is very hard to explain so please no more posts about me trying to route for a different team all the time as I said I have only just recently got back in the NBA and thought I would go with the sixers but then they don't seem like the team I first thought

SouthsFinest
07-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Also thankyou for some of the helpful posts but it's hard to know everyt team in and out when the NBA doesn't get any airtime ove here nor is there ever any discussion of it

SouthsFinest
07-18-2012, 09:57 AM
I think I will still support the sixers but keep a close eye on white. I'm sorry guys I was just confused as my brain was telling me to do one thing and heart the other etc etc. lol My bad

dalton749
07-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Toronto is Europe's team and they're on the up and u have Chicago who has deng and I believe he's from england

SouthsFinest
07-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Toronto is Europe's team and they're on the up and u have Chicago who has deny and I believe he's from england

Yeah Dengs from the UK man. I'm just really confused as to which team has the closest connection to England and what other teams UK fans support

Blitzbolt
07-18-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm a Grizzlies fan but I did when to the Heat parade the other day with some friends.I live in Miami and I try not to be one of those annoying bandwagoneers but its pretty hard when everyone around me celebrating.

Zone1
I get you, I only got back into NBA a few seasons ago myself. It's difficult since they since BB isn't so big here and they rarely show any NBA unless you have ESPN. The games are past midnight which is annoying!

Big Zo
Here's the thing: Root for whoever the **** you want. The end.

Laker Legend42
07-18-2012, 03:07 PM
I can only vote for Florida teams...

and thats if my teams are no longer in the picture, like if the Magic are having a good season, I can watch 1 or 2 of their games, but thats it (I know Howard is leaving you guys... so sad).

But really I only care about teams that are in south Florida.... So I would tell you to enjoy watching the HEAT, and also enjoy watching OKC and the Clippers.

Lol I've been around a lot of cats from Miami. Talking to them you would think no other team existed.college football was at the top. Well for the longest that was pretty much it. Miami cats are loyal

xfyre
07-18-2012, 03:23 PM

posts like this make me :facepalm: and im a Heat fan ..

Please don't become a Rockets fan, we don't like bandwagon fans nor do we want them as fans, sorry.

and things like this are just as bad..stfu kid..no one asked for your opinion. He can root for whoever he wants.

macc
07-18-2012, 03:33 PM
A true fan sticks with their team, thick or thin. Pretty lame to jump ship tbh

I used to think this way, but to be honest with you, I don't anymore. In saying that, I've never jumped ship from my team (orlando). Nor do I have plans to, but there are teams out there that don't do anything year after year after year to get better. Alot of teams FO's stink, some have cheap owners who don't want to spend money to be competitive. So where does that leave the fan? You have fans rooting for a team that simply doesn't want to get better. So why is the fan obligated to stick with a team that really isn't trying very hard to be the best. Is this the product the fan should be rooting for?

Fans don't owe teams anything. This is a different sport but look at the Pirates, it's been over 20 years since they even made the playoffs. I wouldn't blame a single person for jumping ship on that team. If a FO doesn't care about their own team then why should a fan?

Heat20
07-18-2012, 03:36 PM
I've seen many disloyal players leave their teams for money, But the Heat organization is all based off of loyalty and Pat Riley is the genius that implants the idea into guys and gets them to buy into the culture, I know we just won but even when the big 3 wasn't around, This was still a first-class organization to root for and that's why you should be a heat fan

shinjirod
07-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Here's the answer. Watch as much basketball as you can. Get the NBA League Pass, and watch every team. Eventually youll root for one, and only one, and it will be for the rest of your life, and it wont be because a certain player plays somewhere. Players are rarely loyal these days. Fans shouldn't become that way. The point of becoming a fan is being there, supporting through highs and lows, because you love what the team represents.

I'm a Rocket. I'm a Rocket because I grew up playing center, and there was no one like Hakeem, who could move, score and defend the way he did. I had trouble at school and home, and spent all time away from school practicing, playing and trying to mimmick the dream shake. Even though I didn't have the same religious views or upbringing as he did, I admired the way he played through ramadan, and the Rockets always keep pushing and fighting, no matter how good or bad we are, as you can see from the last few seasons. I love the Rockets because they've always had some of the best big men in the game, a rich history, and they try to do things differently than the other teams, and I would never think of pulling for another team.

You need to find, through watching and playing, what team does that for you. Dont let anyone tell you what they think about their teams. In the end, you can't teach yourself to truly love a team. It just happens.

noodle
07-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Real fans don't ever switch teams

And you said you don't wanna support a "big team." Despite their recent struggles, the Rockets are traditionally one of the "big teams"

Try being a Knick fan buddy. You might change your opinion.

macc
07-18-2012, 04:00 PM
I've seen many disloyal players leave their teams for money, But the Heat organization is all based off of loyalty and Pat Riley is the genius that implants the idea into guys and gets them to buy into the culture, I know we just won but even when the big 3 wasn't around, This was still a first-class organization to root for and that's why you should be a heat fan

Loyalty..... hahahahahhaa. Theres a guy named Stan Van Gundy who might disagree with you.

pd7631
07-18-2012, 04:00 PM
A person from England rooting for the 76ers.....oh the irony lol.

SouthsFinest
07-18-2012, 04:55 PM
A person from England rooting for the 76ers.....oh the irony lol.

How's that ironic?

And cheers guys you have really been helpfull. I like the insight into your own respected teams. Its hard to a judge a team just from the summer league atm but last season I did find myself watching more of the sixers,heat, bulls and rockets game but I appreciate the feedback and listening to people talk about their teams

gilly
07-18-2012, 07:36 PM
How's that ironic?

And cheers guys you have really been helpfull. I like the insight into your own respected teams. Its hard to a judge a team just from the summer league atm but last season I did find myself watching more of the sixers,heat, bulls and rockets game but I appreciate the feedback and listening to people talk about their teams

Join me. I'm an English Sixer fan too. History the main reason. They were the first American sports team I really committed to supporting as I started to watch more and more.

From there, I at first favoured the other Philly teams but I really hated how the Eagles were built (was never a McNabb fan, and hated Vick) and, without having completely committed to a team, became a Colt because of Peyton and the history of Unitas (the Horseshoe's history). I didn't mind the Phillies, but again I had no commitment to them and so I set out to pick a team, I chose the Dodgers because they had a few awesome young players.

I know how it feels to struggle to pick a team: no geographical link means you don't just become a fan naturally, you have to pick which is different. I just inherited supporting West Ham because my dad does and my entire family has for over fifty years. Just pick a team you enjoy watching.

What kind of fan does this. I just don't understand. You don't just switch and choose who you root for. If your team is knocked outa the playoffs and you want to have some rooting interest I get why sometimes people will root for particular team in the playoffs but it's not like you act like a fan of that team and celebrate. This is a joke.

If you live NOWHERE near the team, and have never been to a game, barely ever get the chance to watch them on TV apart from occasional ESPNAmerica games and extremely late night streaming sessions, it's damn difficult to follow a team. If you have no emotional attachment to that team, it feels really easy to switch.

HesterJordan23
07-18-2012, 08:27 PM
stick with the team you like.. but u seem to follow teams by who are on them.. so its kindve hard for you to plant your seed into a team because nobody stays on the team forever..

since you started with the 76ers i say stay with em stay true to them..

im a bulls fan but love brandon roy im not rooting for the twolves but i like broy and would love to watch him play

StephenP
07-18-2012, 10:38 PM
How's that ironic?

I think he meant it was ironic that someone from England would root for the 76ers (named for the revolutionaries).

Kind of like Native Americans rooting for the Cowboys.

SouthsFinest
07-19-2012, 06:39 AM
^ ahh I see. Cheers for clearing that up

BlinkManJan02
07-19-2012, 06:56 AM
Listen bro, at least you're not like me.

90s Bulls (I was too young. 8 years old. I have a lot of Bulls stuff from back in the day though. Every color jersey for Pippen/Jordan/Rodman)

2000-2004 Kings (Webber became my favorite player)

2004-2008 Suns (Nash became my favorite player, plus I live in Phoenix and was raised here)

2008-present Bulls (DRose became my third favorite player behind Nash and Howard)

Trust me, I'm a terrible fan. If you love your team, stick with them. At least you'll have that connection with them.

Nice Packer fan in Phoenix.

But..You should pick the Suns and or Bucks. The Bucks especially need some fans.

dalton749
07-19-2012, 08:05 AM
U could always just be a fan of the league in general. That's the way I am with the nfl because being from Toronto we have no team. I root for a few different players more so than full teams often based on my fantasy league but I've been a greenbay and Tennessee fan based on that logic the last few years.

But toronto is on the up with a lot of good young talent and should be playing some very exiting ball the next couple of years which would lead me to believe they get more air time in Europe with bargnani calderon kleiza and valanciunas playing here

Trueblue2
07-19-2012, 09:30 AM
How's that ironic?

The namesake of the 76'ers... 1776, you know when we kinda won a war against you.

SouthsFinest
07-19-2012, 09:41 AM
The namesake of the 76'ers... 1776, you know when we kinda won a war against you.

That's a bit hostile, I'm not going into who's better and "You" I'm pretty sure america didn't win a war against "Me". Maybe my ancestors or the country a live in Yes.

Puck017
07-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Here's the answer. Watch as much basketball as you can. Get the NBA League Pass, and watch every team. Eventually youll root for one, and only one, and it will be for the rest of your life, and it wont be because a certain player plays somewhere. Players are rarely loyal these days. Fans shouldn't become that way. The point of becoming a fan is being there, supporting through highs and lows, because you love what the team represents.

I think shinjirod's got the right idea. I was a Charlotte Hornets fan until they moved to New Orleans and then I jumped ship. At first I tried to be a Bobcats fan but both their owners and front office has always been a joke, although I prefer Jordan leaps and bounds over Johnson. Over the past five year I've picked a team before the season and followed them as much as I could for being out of market. The Nuggets, Knicks, Bobcats, Warriors, and 76ers have all failed to win me over during that time. I think its extremely difficult to become a true fan of a team you can't watch regularly.

Trueblue2
07-19-2012, 10:32 AM
That's a bit hostile, I'm not going into who's better and "You" I'm pretty sure america didn't win a war against "Me". Maybe my ancestors or the country a live in Yes.

didn't mean to come off as hostile at all... Obviously America didn't fight a war against you personally. I was using the plural version of the word, as in you guys, your country, ustedes.

SouthsFinest
07-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Maybe if I say a few things I like in a team and people can recommend some teams for me to watch:

Athletic - Nothing better than seeing someone get dunked on
Up and coming - I want to be able to grow with the team in a way
FO is making promising moves - I dont want a stagnant FO that doesn't want to make a push to win
Hopefully be in the lottery next year - I have a few players I like in next years draft so would be good to grab one of them
Some sort of influential player - Not a star as such but a player that will always have the ball ( or be the defensive anchor ) late on in games

As I say this is just recommendations for me to watch. You are NOT picking a team for me as people seem to be saying. Cheers people

Yankeefan213
07-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Well if you are gonna switch teams now, you will probably keep doing it. You clearly aren't a true fan of any team. And there is nothing wrong with that. Just watch games as a basketball fan and hope they are close just for the excitement.

Trueblue2
07-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Denver or Houston from what you described.

Denver has all your requisites except for being in the lottery but they're a few years ahead of houston as far as being "up and coming" goes.

Houston has a **** load of young talent and draft picks but they're gonna suck for a few years.

Puck017
07-19-2012, 11:07 AM
The Raptors are another team worth taking a look at. They have a promising young core and DeRozan is as good of a highlight reel dunker as you'll find on a team that fits your description. Blake Griffin and the Clippers might also be worth a look, although their owner and FO have had a suspect past.

bucketss
07-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Maybe if I say a few things I like in a team and people can recommend some teams for me to watch:

Athletic - Nothing better than seeing someone get dunked on
Up and coming - I want to be able to grow with the team in a way
FO is making promising moves - I dont want a stagnant FO that doesn't want to make a push to win
Hopefully be in the lottery next year - I have a few players I like in next years draft so would be good to grab one of them
Some sort of influential player - Not a star as such but a player that will always have the ball ( or be the defensive anchor ) late on in games

As I say this is just recommendations for me to watch. You are NOT picking a team for me as people seem to be saying. Cheers people

raptors:

athletics: check, derzan,amir,terrance ross,valanciaunas bargnani athletic for a 7 footer and now kyle lowry

up and coming: raptors making some moves got their pg of the future lowry, and that valanciaunas guy is suppose to be very good in the upcoming years

lottery: maybe but i our pick is top 4 protected i believe so unless we suck hard or make the playoffs that pick is going to houston

influential player: bargnani probably the best scoring big man in the league can score from anywhere becomes unguarded when when he is focused.

Gritz
07-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Sparks imo

smith&wesson
07-19-2012, 12:19 PM
So I'm currently supporting the sixers and have been for a while but their FO is really busting up and they are trading iggy ( no doubt ) and he's th e main reason I chose to support them , well that and the history with AI and Dr.j. But I've just notcied the rockets lately because of Royce White and his anxiety ( I too suffer from severe anxiety ) so choosing the rockets would feel like a good move because I can connect with a player on their roster. Also I'm loving their aggresiveness this offseason and the young talent on the team, chandler parson, JLin, terrence ross etc. the way I see it the sixers are flopping and rockets on the rise. Its really hard to pick a team for me too as I live in the UK so I can't really choose the team closest to me. I don't wanna support a " big team " as I don't want to seem a glory hunter but I like watching the heat play. If someone can just mention their point of views and add any other team into the mix it would be great but as ofg right now I'm split between sixers/rockets.

Tross is a raptor.

i think you should be loyal and continue to cheer for the 76ers. stick to the team through rough times and you will be that much happier through the good times.

SouthsFinest
07-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Tross is a raptor.

i think you should be loyal and continue to cheer for the 76ers. stick to the team through rough times and you will be that much happier through the good times.

Yeah I realise that now.lol I was meant to say Terrence Jones