PDA

View Full Version : As a NBA player what would you rather have?

BSF101
07-17-2012, 05:31 PM
If you were a professional NBA player what would you have.

Multiple NBA championships or Multiple Olympic Gold medals??? You can't have both its one or the other. I would personal rather have the gold medals, why simple the Olympics is played every 4 years unlike the NBA whereas the finals is played every year. You would have a greater chances of winning a NBA championship then a gold medal, plus unlike the Olympics you're only playing against a hand full of teams.

Dade County
07-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Eddy Curry has more rings then Barkley!!!!!!!

edit: Click my first link in my sig, that should answer your question :)

King41
07-17-2012, 05:37 PM
eddy curry is fat

BSF101
07-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Guys I know he's fat but please answer the question.

AnthonyTyrael
07-17-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm taking the NBA throphies, at least 3-4.

IBleedPurple
07-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Gold Medals. Many NBA players don't embrace playing for their country, but I would. It may mean a little more though if the competition was a little better.

StarvingKnick22
07-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Let me put it this way, Carmelo has 2 and going on 3 Gold Medals. Don't you think he'd prefer Champ Rings? This is the uttermost mindless question, I have ever read.

BSF101
07-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Let me put it this way, Carmelo has 2 and going on 3 Gold Medals. Don't you think he'd prefer Champ Rings? This is the uttermost mindless question, I have ever read.

Then why did you answer? I get he would prefer a Ring but the question wasn't asking, about NBA players right now but people on this site.

StarvingKnick22
07-17-2012, 06:11 PM
So you would prefer winning one of the many Medals our country has easily, playing with all-stars, from the world's best league over winning the thing you dream of having as a kid?

StarvingKnick22
07-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Then why did you answer? I get he would prefer a Ring but the question wasn't asking, about NBA players right now but people on this site.

can you tell me where in that paragraph I gave a specific answer?

KingPosey
07-17-2012, 06:28 PM
I would want more NBA rings, it speaks to a higher level of competition you have beaten.

nbrod
07-17-2012, 06:28 PM

Melo has one gold medal the 04 team didn't win the gold

97NYer
07-17-2012, 06:31 PM
NBA rings easily

topdog
07-17-2012, 06:33 PM
NBA Championship especially considering how stacked USA rosters are. I mean, it would be absolutely amazing to have a gold medal, but the championship is harder to attain.

jrm2054
07-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Nba title

Joker55
07-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Championships please and thank you

StarvingKnick22
07-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Melo has one gold medal the 04 team didn't win the gold

I'm counting FIBA whether you like it or not

xxplayerxx23
07-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Id rather 1 championship then 3 gold medals thats just my opinion I guess.

SlimKid
07-17-2012, 08:04 PM
NBA titles for me.. easily

JerseyPalahniuk
07-17-2012, 08:08 PM
For me the answer to the question is easy: multiple gold medals.

Why? The OP did not clarify that "I" would be one of the top 2 or 3 players on NBA title squad. If I had led the team to a ring (or was a close 2nd) then a NBA title would be awesome. But otherwise MULTIPLE gold medals tells you that you are one of the top 15 players in your country (if no -23 rule implemented) for a (minimum) span of EIGHT years. That says a lot about your ability. The OP's argument doesn't make any sense though hahaha.

BrandoCommando
07-17-2012, 08:10 PM

This made me lol

diu9leilomo
07-17-2012, 08:27 PM
no brainer, nba champ of course. so easy for USA basketball to win that medal

smith&wesson
07-17-2012, 08:38 PM
if im good enough to win nba ships and good enough to get recruited for the olympcs games then i woould be content because it would mean that im one of the elite players in the nba any how..

Hawkeye15
07-17-2012, 08:46 PM
EASILY NBA championships, its the top league in the world, with all the best around the globe playing in it, outside a few outliers (who will end up in the NBA anyways).

StinkEye
07-17-2012, 08:55 PM
I feel like being the guy on an NBA championship team is more meaningful than being an American and winning the Olympics.

Courtbully
07-17-2012, 11:15 PM
Take the titles every time. In terms of legacy and perception, they hold much more weight in this culture

rocket
07-17-2012, 11:22 PM

:laugh2:

nicegoing
07-17-2012, 11:51 PM
A title. You are playing against better competition in the NBA than the Olympics, and it would be more gratifying.

clutchski
07-18-2012, 12:02 AM
If you were a professional NBA player what would you have.

Multiple NBA championships or Multiple Olympic Gold medals??? You can't have both its one or the other. I would personal rather have the gold medals, why simple the Olympics is played every 4 years unlike the NBA whereas the finals is played every year. You would have a greater chances of winning a NBA championship then a gold medal, plus unlike the Olympics you're only playing against a hand full of teams.

I think that really depends on what team you play for. Are you playing for the USA? Or say, Lithuania? Are you playing for the Lakers or the Timberwolves?

I'd like to look at it as, would you rather have multiple NBA championships and 1 Olympic gold medal..or multiple Olympic gold medals and 1 NBA championship? I'd personally rather have multiple NBA championships. It also opens up a lot more opportunities imo including endorsement deals.

Plus you're guaranteed to go to the White House and meet the president.

AKAYaReal
07-18-2012, 12:31 AM
I would go for NBA Championships

With the Olympics, you are teamed with the best of the best at every position. Granted you have a short period of time to gel and a limited # of games to do it in. That is part of the problem though, its to short lived in terms of how long it takes to get the gold medal.

A championship means training camp, preseason, 82 game regular season, a minimum of 16games in the post season. Then you factor in things like the draft, cap, trades and maybe only having 1 superstar on your team as opposed to at least a allstar at every position in the Olympics.

Im sure as a professional player, the journey to get to the ring is just as important to getting the ring so it really means something.

NoahH
07-18-2012, 12:44 AM
1000000% championships!!! Gold medals are just bonus. The USA is so heavily favored usually anyways it probably doesn't feel as much of an accomplishment

DitchDat
07-18-2012, 03:48 AM
NBA rings.

sunnydayin'zona
07-18-2012, 04:21 AM
I'm counting FIBA whether you like it or not

Its not the same at all. The Olympics are the pinnacle of sport in the history of the human race. An olympic medal for basketball is thrown away nowadays because the USA teams are so stacked. But it is still an olympic medal. The NBA is an arbitrary modern league. The Olympics are the largest and most well known gathering for sport ever in our species. To be a winner of that event is better, in my opinion.

But certainly don't compare it to another arbitrary basketball tournament just because it is also international.

StinkEye
07-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Its not the same at all. The Olympics are the pinnacle of sport in the history of the human race. An olympic medal for basketball is thrown away nowadays because the USA teams are so stacked. But it is still an olympic medal. The NBA is an arbitrary modern league. The Olympics are the largest and most well known gathering for sport ever in our species. To be a winner of that event is better, in my opinion.

But certainly don't compare it to another arbitrary basketball tournament just because it is also international.

lol no

JerseyPalahniuk
07-18-2012, 10:29 AM
lol no

Can you elaborate?

StinkEye
07-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Can you elaborate?

I was laughing because of lines like "the Olympics are the pinnacle of sport in the history of the human race", and "the Olympics are the largest and most well known gathering for sport ever in our species."

My opinion is that an Olympic medal doesn't mean as much an being the guy on an NBA Championship team, especially if you're an American (you're expected to win.) When we talk about player's legacies, we hardly mention their Olympic success, just like we hardly mention a player's all star game wins. It just doesn't matter much. If you tell X superstar that he could end up with 4 Gold medals or 4 rings by the end of his career, he'll take the 4 rings.

Beating a vastly inferior team in the gold medal game is so much easier than winning a 7 game series against a closely matched team after a long, grueling season.

RiLoc
07-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Multiple NBA championships or Multiple Olympic Gold medals???If you're from the US, then it's definitely NBA Championships. Don't think an explanation is needed.

However, if you're the leader of one of a foreign team, especially a more unlikely foreign team, then I could see an argument for gold medals. Imagine you were from Angola or Tunisia and you lead your team to multiple Olympic Gold medal championships. That would be historic.

dh144498
07-18-2012, 01:35 PM
NBA titles as the best player.
Olympic medals as the best player.

But if just based on quantity: olympic medals.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-18-2012, 01:51 PM
I was laughing because of lines like "the Olympics are the pinnacle of sport in the history of the human race", and "the Olympics are the largest and most well known gathering for sport ever in our species."

My opinion is that an Olympic medal doesn't mean as much an being the guy on an NBA Championship team, especially if you're an American (you're expected to win.) When we talk about player's legacies, we hardly mention their Olympic success, just like we hardly mention a player's all star game wins. It just doesn't matter much. If you tell X superstar that he could end up with 4 Gold medals or 4 rings by the end of his career, he'll take the 4 rings.

Beating a vastly inferior team in the gold medal game is so much easier than winning a 7 game series against a closely matched team after a long, grueling season.

I understand what you are saying and I referred to that in an earlier post about being THE guy leading the team to the ring. I think I would take 2 gold medals over 1 ring though. That means being one of the top 10 (top 5 if you think about since being THE guy to win a ring must mean you are pretty damn good) players in the entire league for AT LEAST a decade. Decade because one would assume that the player was dominant the year before being selected to the first one and presumably the year after the second one. To use an example: would I rather want to be Chauncey Billups since the Pistons won it or Charles Barkley/Karl Malone?

StinkEye
07-18-2012, 02:22 PM
I understand what you are saying and I referred to that in an earlier post about being THE guy leading the team to the ring. I think I would take 2 gold medals over 1 ring though. That means being one of the top 10 (top 5 if you think about since being THE guy to win a ring must mean you are pretty damn good) players in the entire league for AT LEAST a decade. Decade because one would assume that the player was dominant the year before being selected to the first one and presumably the year after the second one. To use an example: would I rather want to be Chauncey Billups since the Pistons won it or Charles Barkley/Karl Malone?

Being on the US Olympic squad doesn't necessarily mean that you're a top 10 player in the league. Just look at their roster this year. I agree with the poster earlier who said "the Olympics are just a bonus."

I would rather be Barkley or Malone, and it's not even close. They have had enough individual success in their careers to cement them as top 20 guys of all time. Their Olympic success with the dream team is dwarfed by their MVP awards in the NBA. Billups has won a ring, but remember, an NBA championship is a team award, and even more specifically, that Pistons team was balanced so well, not having any starter much more important than the others. Billups was the Finals MVP, but it's not like his role was as heavily weighted as LeBron's was this past year (or any superstar, for that matter.) We'll think of Billups as an awesome player when his career is done, because of the kind of guy/player he was, but he'd be lucky to crack most people's tops 100 lists.

freedas
07-18-2012, 02:35 PM
I would prefer an nba title