PDA

View Full Version : BC compared Landry Fields to Shane Battier!

GiantsSwaGG
07-17-2012, 02:37 PM
http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html

:laugh: he's nowhere near Shane...stop justifying that horrid contract!

MrfadeawayJB
07-17-2012, 02:40 PM
haha and you got a guy who has a "C" outside shot rating in 2K! Battier is defense and shooting.
The best comparison in the NBA i can think of to Battier is Jared Dudley

GiantsSwaGG
07-17-2012, 02:41 PM
@Ekoreen

In justifying the contract, BC compares Fields to Shane Battier

bucketss
07-17-2012, 02:42 PM
so?

yanksrock
07-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Maybe someday. Not quiet yet.

yanksrock
07-17-2012, 02:44 PM
so?

Do you agree?

JWO35
07-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Shane Battier is a NBA Champion...:no:

GiantsSwaGG
07-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Landry is a good player and I hope he does well in Toronto but he's nowhere near Battier...trust of he were, he'll still be a knick. BC just trying to justify the contract when we know the real reason why he offered fields that money!

Cfrey
Landry actually plays a similar way to Shane which is probably what he meant.. Obviously he's not as good as Shane but he could be someday

smith&wesson
ummmm fields is going in to his 3rd season. he had a great rookie season and a poor sohpmore season.

whos to say he doesnt bounce back ?? his role was effected by the arival of melo & the drafting of shumpert. it makes sence as to why he had a rough year last season. the knicks were a shaky unpredictable team all together last season.

fields can be a doug christie, shane battier type of player. why not ? he has the potential and he is still very young. its not like he is being compared to kobe here. shane battier is what i would say fields could become. who knows only way to find out is to wait and see.

GiantsSwaGG
so?

Dupe account?

smith&wesson
07-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Landry actually plays a similar way to Shane which is probably what he meant.. Obviously he's not as good as Shane but he could be someday

i agree.

GiantsSwaGG
07-17-2012, 02:50 PM
ummmm fields is going in to his 3rd season. he had a great rookie season and a poor sohpmore season.

whos to say he doesnt bounce back ?? his role was effected by the arival of melo & the drafting of shumpert. it makes sence as to why he had a rough year last season. the knicks were a shaky unpredictable team all together last season.

fields can be a doug christie, shane battier type of player. why not ? he has the potential and he is still very young. its not like he is being compared to kobe here. shane battier is what i would say fields could become. who knows only way to find out is to wait and see.

I like the Doug Christie comparison...if in the right system, fields can shine but let's slow our role.

rwynyc
07-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Fields will play the 3 this year and have a break out season

bucketss
07-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Do you agree?

well they both have similar playing styles i know landry didn't shoot the ball well this year but battier didn't either. I think they are both better shooters than they showed this year i would say. Both very good defenders why can't they be compared? some people acting like battier is a star or something.

beasted86
07-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Fields is not even close to Battier.... even now, when he's much older and coming off his worst shooting season.

Not trying to bait Raptors fans or anything like that. BC is a moron. He signed Kleiza to a bad contract, then follows it up by signing Fields to a disgusting contract, and trading James Johnson who has similar production to those 2 guys, on a cheaper contract, with better defense for a 2nd round pick. I expect him to be fired soon, and it will be very deserving.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-17-2012, 02:54 PM
haha and you got a guy who has a "C" outside shot rating in 2K! Battier is defense and shooting.
The best comparison in the NBA i can think of to Battier is Jared Dudley

Here's to using 2k "stats" are indicators of player ability :clap:

smith&wesson
07-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Landry is a good player and I hope he does well in Toronto but he's nowhere near Battier...trust of he were, he'll still be a knick. BC just trying to justify the contract when we know the real reason why he offered fields that money!

sure we all know he offered the contract to block the nash trade. but lets face it toronto needs some wing players and were not attracting stars.

fields is a player that can flourish in a system where the ball doesnt stick to a black hole like melo or stat.

the contract is back loaded which means he is only really over paid in his final season but that's obviously strategic because he becomes a huge expiring contract in that year making him easier to trade or if he doesnt live up to his contract we can simply let him expire and use the money that comes off the books.

bucketss
07-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Fields is not even close to Battier.... even now, when he's much older and coming off his worst shooting season.

Not trying to bait Raptors fans or anything like that. BC is a moron. He signed Kleiza to a bad contract, then follows it up by signing Fields to a disgusting contract, and trading James Johnson who has similar production to those 2 guys, on a cheaper contract, with better defense for a 2nd round pick. I expect him to be fired soon, and it will be very deserving.

not even close? are we watching the same battier

justinnum1
07-17-2012, 02:57 PM
omg:facepalm:

I like the raprotrs and the direction they are headed in, but that is just an awful comparison.

GiantsSwaGG
07-17-2012, 02:58 PM
sure we all know he offered the contract to block the nash trade. but lets face it toronto needs some wing players and were not attracting stars.

fields is a player that can flourish in a system where the ball doesnt stick to a black hole like melo or stat.

the contract is back loaded which means he is only really over paid in his final season but that's obviously strategic because he becomes a huge expiring contract in that year making him easier to trade or if he doesnt live up to his contract we can simply let him expire and use the money that comes off the books.

But I don't get it, why don't they move Derozen to the wing (he is more of a wing player anyway and better than fields) and go after a shooter guard like a Mayo or Lee

beasted86
07-17-2012, 02:59 PM
not even close? are we watching the same battier

I don't know... Are we?

Battier has a big impact on the game defensively. I don't know what Fields is supposed to do well, or that he has any impact on either end. Half the time I don't even know he's playing until after the game I log onto PSD and see Knicks fans complaining about how bad he sucked.

smith&wesson
07-17-2012, 03:00 PM
I like the Doug Christie comparison...if in the right system, fields can shine but let's slow our role.

b.c does make comparisons. but usually they have to do with style not ability.

IronMan21
07-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Landry Fields is overrated big time!!!! especially by knick fans

GiantsSwaGG
07-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Landry Fields is overrated big time!!!! especially by knick fans

He's not a knick anymore

Bob_at_york
07-17-2012, 03:04 PM

What is wrong with Kleiza's contract? I agree, he shouldn't have traded JJ for so little but I don't think he deserves to get fired over it.

bucketss
07-17-2012, 03:05 PM
I don't know... Are we?

Battier has a big impact on the game defensively. I don't know what Fields is supposed to do well, or that he has any impact on either end. Half the time I don't even know he's playing until after the game I log onto PSD and see Knicks fans complaining about how bad he sucked.

and most heat fans have been calling battier a scrub up until the finals.

kenzo400
07-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Lol signed Kleiza to a bad contract? The guy is making like 4.5 million and can easily give you 12 points, good three point shooting and decent defense.

:facepalm:

kenzo400
07-17-2012, 03:10 PM

He started hitting his wide open shots and suddenly he became some great player.

jimm120
07-17-2012, 03:11 PM

ehhhh....not exactly.

1st half 2010-11 season: B+ . He went and scored enough, had enough hops, put back potential, and rebounded well. Plus, his outside shot fell through. 11ppg with a lot of rebounds and good shooting percentages and free throw percentages.

2nd half 2010-11 season: C . His outside shot was off now. But he could still score inside and shoot form inside. Just his 3 point shot was off. His rebounds also fell.

2011-12 season: D- . A good role player, but his rebounding wasn't as good. Wasn't good on put backs either. His shot was off from outside and inside. His free throw percentage plummeted.

Its not just "1 down year". His first year he was great in the first half (not superb or anything, cause 11ppg and 6-7 rebounds are good, not somethign extraordinary). But the 2nd half PLUS last year (that's 1 1/2 years) were just bad.

KNICKS R BACK
07-17-2012, 03:13 PM

correction...he had a good first half of a rookie season...then a terrible second half...a terrible sophmore season...and dissappeared both years in the playoffs...and thats coming from a landry fields fan

smith&wesson
07-17-2012, 03:13 PM
I don't know... Are we?

sure knick fans were quick to bash him last season. they were also quick to glorify him the year prior.

he had a poor season last year. alot of sophmores go through that. also what did you think was going to happen to a 2nd year player playing on a team with black holes every where in the line up ?

jr smith = chucker
melo = black hole
stat = black hole

competing with shumpert, jr smith & melo for mins.

sounds like an ideal situatin for any player right ? im not saying fields is amazing. but what i am saying is that he is young and has potential. he is an all around player with good ball iq and decent defence. he had a poor shooting year last season, hopefully he can bounce back from that.

IronMan21
07-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Fields will play the 3 this year and have a break out season

ur definately a Raptors fan

smith&wesson
07-17-2012, 03:17 PM
ur definately a Raptors fan

Whos to say that he is wrong ?

KNICKS R BACK
07-17-2012, 03:17 PM
fields needs to be on a team like San Antonio...he needs crisp ballmovement to be effective you are right about that...but you are highly overrating him...theres no guarantee hes going to bounce back

Gritz
07-17-2012, 03:18 PM
He's a 69 on 2k, means he sucks

Bigbadmoffo
07-17-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm confused is battier a superstar?? Comparison does not mean same skill level it means similar style of play. Contract does suck but BC making this statement is not a big deal at all.

b@llhog24
07-17-2012, 03:20 PM
I've heard the comparison before. Great intangible player, that plays hard on D, rebounds, has a high basketball IQ and is fairly athletic. Its not the crazy imo. :shrug:

smith&wesson
correction...he had a good first half of a rookie season...then a terrible second half...a terrible sophmore season...and dissappeared both years in the playoffs...and thats coming from a landry fields fan

ok so you say your a fields fan.

do you beleive that fields can be a good player in a different system ? i do.

i think the knicks were something of a mess last season. alot of players can be alot better then they showed last season on the knicks. amare and fields are two examples.

bucketss
I'm confused is battier a superstar?? Comparison does not mean same skill level it means similar style of play. Contract does suck but BC making this statement is not a big deal at all.

exactly op is trying to make it seem like he just got compared to james worthy smh.

GiantsSwaGG
07-17-2012, 03:21 PM
He's a 69 on 2k, means he sucks

What his overall on his jumpshot?

Missing56&33
07-17-2012, 03:21 PM
If Landry Fields was anywhere near Shane Battier we may have gone 7games with Miami.

b@llhog24
07-17-2012, 03:24 PM
I don't know... Are we?

If you watched how Fields played at the beginning of last year and during the Linsanity run you'd see just how close this comparison actually is.

smith&wesson
07-17-2012, 03:24 PM
fields needs to be on a team like San Antonio...he needs crisp ballmovement to be effective you are right about that...but you are highly overrating him...theres no guarantee hes going to bounce back

who is highly over rating him ?? i dont see any one rating him in here. were just saying maybe he can earn his contract on a team that shares the ball more and on a team where he would have a bigger and more defined role then the team he was playing for. I also said best way to find out is wait and see. i dont see how im over rating him in anyway.

B.C made a comparison.. which he does at times but like i said he compares playing style. for example he just drafted quincy acy and compared his playing style to reggie evans. doesnt mean he cant be better, or worst the reggie.

Gritz
07-17-2012, 03:26 PM
What his overall on his jumpshot?

Between 1 and Sucks I'm sure

GiantsSwaGG
07-17-2012, 03:29 PM
If Landry Fields was anywhere near Shane Battier we may have gone 7games with Miami.

This

killersweet
07-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Why don’t we wait and see how he fits in with the raptors squad before assessing how good/bad he is going to be as a raptor? Raptors are expecting Fields to be a role player, not a star. Different team, Different system, Fields may thrive or may continue to struggle like his sophomore year. We won’t know until next season!

bucketss
07-17-2012, 03:30 PM

im sure you guys could have used his 6 points on 34% he averaged against the knicks in the first round.

ChongInc.
07-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Glue.

GiantsSwaGG
07-17-2012, 03:32 PM
im sure you guys could have used his 6 points on 34% he averaged against the knicks in the first round.

I think he meant his flopping!

killersweet
07-17-2012, 03:33 PM

really? From the games that I watched, Landry Fields should have been like Lebron in order to get to game 7 with the heat.

smith&wesson
07-17-2012, 03:34 PM
But I don't get it, why don't they move Derozen to the wing (he is more of a wing player anyway and better than fields) and go after a shooter guard like a Mayo or Lee

I dunno if derozan is really any better then fields to be honest. infact fields might even have a better ball iq. derozan has been a project.

they may try him at the 3 who knows. but we also just drafted t.ross. again toronto never really lands big name free agents. alot of us would have liked a guy like mayo..

most of us are happy we even landed lowry.

ehhhh....not exactly.

1st half 2010-11 season: B+ . He went and scored enough, had enough hops, put back potential, and rebounded well. Plus, his outside shot fell through. 11ppg with a lot of rebounds and good shooting percentages and free throw percentages.

2nd half 2010-11 season: C . His outside shot was off now. But he could still score inside and shoot form inside. Just his 3 point shot was off. His rebounds also fell.

2011-12 season: D- . A good role player, but his rebounding wasn't as good. Wasn't good on put backs either. His shot was off from outside and inside. His free throw percentage plummeted.

Its not just "1 down year". His first year he was great in the first half (not superb or anything, cause 11ppg and 6-7 rebounds are good, not somethign extraordinary). But the 2nd half PLUS last year (that's 1 1/2 years) were just bad.

for a 2nd round pick i would say thats a pretty good first year wouldnt you ?

smith&wesson
07-17-2012, 03:36 PM

I dont face palm ppl but cmon man. so your x factor in that series was fields ? give me a break bro.

smith&wesson
07-17-2012, 03:38 PM
This

you quote that stupidity to make your point ? and here i thought we were having a good basketball discussion. well soo much for that.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-17-2012, 03:39 PM
If Landry could shoot as well as Battier did in the finals, Knicks season definitely would have been different lol

GiantsSwaGG
07-17-2012, 03:39 PM
you quote that stupidity to make your point ? and here i thought were were having a good basketball discussion. well soo much for that.

Lol it was a joke. The quote was stupid, we didn't stand a chance against the heat with all our injuries!

SportsFanatic10
07-17-2012, 03:40 PM

i haven't seen much of that at all. i remember bulls fans saying miami had no bench and they'd beat us. we'd mention battier and get laughed at.

FarOutIos
07-17-2012, 03:44 PM
He compared him to who? Omg. Lmfao. What a Moro... Wait. What?

I feel like I'm in a twilight zone episode... Why is this such a stretch? Looking at their numbers, it seems as if they are pretty equal. Slight advantage to battier, but fields is still young, so we don't know how good he'll be yet.

I'm not a fan of either player, but I'd take fields today because he is younger and battier is on the decline.

If someone can provide the stats to prove battier is that much better, please do. And being that fields had a better first year, than second year, we not know if he just had a fluke year 1 or just had an off year last year.

Anyway.... It's not like he compared darko to c-Webb...

SportsFanatic10
07-17-2012, 03:47 PM
He compared him to who? Omg. Lmfao. What a Moro... Wait. What?

I feel like I'm in a twilight zone episode... Why is this such a stretch? Looking at their numbers, it seems as if they are pretty equal. Slight advantage to battier, but fields is still young, so we don't know how good he'll be yet.

I'm not a fan of either player, but I'd take fields today because he is younger and battier is on the decline.

If someone can provide the stats to prove battier is that much better, please do. And being that fields had a better first year, than second year, we not know if he just had a fluke year 1 or just had an off year last year.

Anyway.... It's not like he compared darko to c-Webb...

it isn't some massive stretch or anything i dont' think. but stats definatley don't tell the story with battier. thats why hes been called the no stats all star lol.

dtmagnet
07-17-2012, 04:03 PM
This comparison is not far fetched at all.

ink
07-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Shane Battier is a NBA Champion...:no:

I hope you are being ironic there. He's the same player he was before his TEAM won a championship.

FarOutIos
07-17-2012, 04:05 PM
it isn't some massive stretch or anything i dont' think. but stats definatley don't tell the story with battier. thats why hes been called the no stats all star lol.

I think stats could show some Of that... If his defense is that good, then how much he slows down opposing players will show in their numbers decrease when playing him...

Even so... Fields has a slight edge in some categories and battier in others. Again, fields sample size is too small...

Tha Truth
07-17-2012, 04:07 PM
When you really think about it's actually not a bad comparison. Fields can become a Shane Battier type player. Plus he's actually more athletic than Battier is/was. Shane Battier is a player who plays hard. Brings the intangibles. Will knock down 3s and play great defense. What am I missing. Why is the comparison so bad to most of you?

Somebody else mentioned Doug Christie. That's a good comparison too.

Corey
07-17-2012, 04:12 PM
The best comparison in the NBA i can think of to Battier is Jared DudleyThat is a great comparison IMO.

GiantsSwaGG
07-17-2012, 04:13 PM
When you really think about it's actually not a bad comparison. Shane Battier is a player who plays hard. Brings the intangibles. Will knock down 3s and play great defense. What am I missing. Why is the comparison so bad to most of you?

Fields can't shoot for ****, his defense is average at best or slightly above average. He's a better ball handler and Passer than Battier that's about it

John Walls Era
07-17-2012, 04:18 PM
That was a valid comparison in his rookie year. Not the worst comparison as comparisons go.

Toxeryll
07-17-2012, 04:22 PM
who cares, theyre both scrubs

BSplaya2121
07-17-2012, 04:29 PM
landry fields compared to battier? Now while im not a battier fan, he is a great on ball defender, and a decent 3 point shooter. Landry Fields is a terrible defender with flat feat and an awful outside shooter. Fields is only a good rebounder and slasher (at certain times), otherwise he was probably my least favorite Knick and im glad BC got him off their hands.

BSplaya2121
07-17-2012, 04:30 PM
When you really think about it's actually not a bad comparison. Fields can become a Shane Battier type player. Plus he's actually more athletic than Battier is/was. Shane Battier is a player who plays hard. Brings the intangibles. Will knock down 3s and play great defense. What am I missing. Why is the comparison so bad to most of you?

see my post above^^

Tha Truth
07-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Fields can't shoot for ****, his defense is average at best or slightly above average. He's a better ball handler and Passer than Battier that's about it

Fair enough.

Keep in mind. We are basing this on 2 seasons.

Landry's 3 point % over his first 2 seasons is 34%. I don't think that means "he can't shoot for ****"

Add that to that fact he played with Melo and Amare for most of his career and he was a starter which means touches were limited for him. This change in scenery might be just what he needs. He will get a few more looks than he got in New York.

They are both gritty players that get after it on defense. Obviously Battier is the better shooter and is a proven premier defender, but Landry's sample size is way too small to completely right him off.

bucketss
07-17-2012, 04:43 PM
landry fields compared to battier? Now while im not a battier fan, he is a great on ball defender, and a decent 3 point shooter. Landry Fields is a terrible defender with flat feat and an awful outside shooter. Fields is only a good rebounder and slasher (at certain times), otherwise he was probably my least favorite Knick and im glad BC got him off their hands.

all of battier shots are wide open and he still misses alot of them.

Jetsguy
07-17-2012, 04:48 PM
I think Landry will do well on TO. He moves well without the ball, rebounds great, and has high IQ. He can also get to the rim halfway decent. His jumper has disapeared but could come back. His D seems to be a little over-rated reading this but it is still ok, average I would say.

Contract is what it is, they needed Nash and had to do it. Not like they are going anywhere anyways, he will play well for them.

dalton749
07-17-2012, 04:50 PM

haha this.
for the guy talking 2k ratings every miami players 3 pt shooting is over rated they constantly have wide open 3s like no other team in the league and still miss. chalmers/ battier wouldnt have anywhere close to those ratings on another team

smith&wesson
07-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Fair enough.

Keep in mind. We are basing this on 2 seasons.

Landry's 3 point % over his first 2 seasons is 34%. I don't think that means "he can't shoot for ****"
Add that to that fact he played with Melo and Amare for most of his career and he was a starter which means touches were limited for him. This change in scenery might be just what he needs. He will get a few more looks than he got in New York.

They are both gritty players that get after it on defense. Obviously Battier is the better shooter and is a proven premier defender, but Landry's sample size is way too small to completely right him off.

well said. aint that tha truth.

Raphael
07-17-2012, 05:26 PM
It's not like he's comparing him to MJ. It's just Shane Battier for crying out loud.

yanksrock
07-17-2012, 05:37 PM
well they both have similar playing styles i know landry didn't shoot the ball well this year but battier didn't either. I think they are both better shooters than they showed this year i would say. Both very good defenders why can't they be compared? some people acting like battier is a star or something.

There you go. See, how hard was that??

All the OP wanted was your opinion.

diu9leilomo
07-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Lol signed Kleiza to a bad contract? The guy is making like 4.5 million and can easily give you 12 points, good three point shooting and decent defense.

:facepalm:

i watched every single raps game last season and i dont see where is the defense from him, kleiza is a joke. Hes like brian scalabrine with better 3pt and thats about it.....and BC did a horrible job this off season, other than kyle lowry i dont see any good moves he made not to mention drafting t ross at 8th :facepalm:

b@llhog24
07-17-2012, 07:51 PM
who cares, theyre both scrubs

:smoking:

:laugh:

I think Landry will do well on TO. He moves well without the ball, rebounds great, and has high IQ. He can also get to the rim halfway decent. His jumper has disapeared but could come back. His D seems to be a little over-rated reading this but it is still ok, average I would say.

Contract is what it is, they needed Nash and had to do it. Not like they are going anywhere anyways, he will play well for them.

Honestly Fields is really a 3, he's just always been forced to play Sg because of Gallo and Melo. I think placing him at his natural position you'll see his defense improve.

i watched every single raps game last season and i dont see where is the defense from him, kleiza is a joke. Hes like brian scalabrine with better 3pt and thats about it.....and BC did a horrible job this off season, other than kyle lowry i dont see any good moves he made not to mention drafting t ross at 8th :facepalm:

It was a bit of a reach considering who was still on the board but the guy has shown some serious talent.

jrap08
07-17-2012, 08:23 PM
classic out of context & over reaction

BC has already admitted a couple of times that indeed offering that contract to fields is part a strategy on the nash chase & part them liking fields & what he can bring.

& also BC is not saying fields = battier now.. he's saying they hope he can become a battier type player to them & even if fields could be half of battier they will be happy

ohreally
07-17-2012, 09:00 PM

From what I remember he had a nice run with Melo out and Lin in. Melo was a BIG detriment to his game, and I agree that he should be much better at the three.

And since Melo dominated the ball against the Heat there was no way we were going 7 against Miami. We only won a game because the Heat got bored and figured the series was over.

Wade>You
07-17-2012, 11:35 PM
well they both have similar playing styles i know landry didn't shoot the ball well this year but battier didn't either. I think they are both better shooters than they showed this year i would say. Both very good defenders why can't they be compared? some people acting like battier is a star or something.Battier got paid $3mil a year last season. That's $1mil for every good game he played. Although I'm glad he finally played well when it mattered. But yeah, most Heat fans here don't have the slightest clue to the first thing about basketball.

DitchDat
07-18-2012, 04:53 AM
I can see it. Comparable height and role (first year in NYK at least). He's not there yet though.