PDA

View Full Version : Can the Mavs and Lakers compete for the WCF next year?

GoLeafsGo
07-17-2012, 02:51 AM
With the veteran acquisitions of Nash, Jamison and perhaps even Jermaine Oneal for the Lakers and Dallas getting Collison, Mayo, brand, Kaman will it be enough to compete for top spot in the west?

Your thoughts on how they will fare against everyone else, team chemistry, Strengths/Weaknesses etc.

MetroMan
07-17-2012, 02:53 AM
jamison is not a laker

davids22
07-17-2012, 02:54 AM
The Mavs are old as hell. No way they make the WCF.

And the Lakers did not get Jamison. Nor will they get Jermaine O'Neil.

????????

shep33
07-17-2012, 02:55 AM
Jamison hasn't signed yet. So that's not a sure thing.

Gotta see our bench then I'll get back to you. OKC are still the faves easy

MetroMan
07-17-2012, 02:56 AM

????????

that fresh prince of bel air sig is fkn hilarious

Avenged
07-17-2012, 02:59 AM
Lakers can compete for the WCF. Will they prevail though? I don't think so with our current lineup.

The Mavs? Ehh.. I just don't see it. Thunder/Spurs/Lakers/and Clippers are ahead IMO. Then there's the Grizzlies who have the potential. Unless Dirk has something special up his sleeve I don't see them advancing past the 2nd round. But it's not like any team is clearly better than the other except for probably OKC.

gatkins11
07-17-2012, 03:02 AM
Lakers can compete for the WCF. Will they prevail though? I don't think so with our current lineup.

The Mavs? Ehh.. I just don't see it. Thunder/Spurs/Lakers/and Clippers are ahead IMO. Then there's the Grizzlies who have the potential. Unless Dirk has something special up his sleeve I don't see them advancing past the 2nd round. But it's not like any team is clearly better than the other except for probably OKC.

All of this.

Losoway
07-17-2012, 03:03 AM
no way . okc has the west on smash

shep33
07-17-2012, 03:05 AM

+1

Biggest problem with us (Lakers) or worry for that matter, is the injury concern. Lot of old fellas and our bench is horrendous as of now

GoLeafsGo
07-17-2012, 03:11 AM

????????

http://www.dailynews.com/rss/ci_21090333?source=rss

It's pretty much going to happen.

GoLeafsGo
07-17-2012, 03:13 AM
+1

Biggest problem with us (Lakers) or worry for that matter, is the injury concern. Lot of old fellas and our bench is horrendous as of now

Well let's assume they can stay relatively healthy this season. A bench of Blake, Barnes, Ebanks, Oneal(possibly), Murphy, Artest, Mcroberts doesn't give you any confidence they can get the job done?

Avenged
07-17-2012, 03:15 AM
Well let's assume they can stay relatively healthy this season. A bench of Blake, Barnes, Ebanks, Oneal(possibly), Murphy, Artest, Mcroberts doesn't give you any confidence they can get the job done?

Hell no. That bench looks awful.. :puke: Basically the same as last seasons + Jermaine who sucks.

shep33
07-17-2012, 03:20 AM
Hell no. That bench looks awful.. :puke: Basically the same as last seasons + Jermaine who sucks.

If that's our bench, we might as well amnesty our season next year :laugh:

Troy Muphy + Jermaine would be the slowest frontline in the history of basketball.

nrvana
07-17-2012, 03:23 AM
Sure, I believe both Dallas and LA can compete.

Speaking from a Mavs perspective, our whole team dynamic has changed. We completely revamped our roster with youth and complimentary playmakers to help take the load off dirk. We don't have a legit #2 option that will give us 20 pts per game, but we do have 3-4 players that can get between 12-17 pts to make up for it.

OKC is good, but they have warts just like any other team.

1. Their frontline is weaker compared to the Mavs or Lakers
2. Westbrook - which one shows up - jekyll or hyde?

Like always, the west should be fun.

AKLETO
07-17-2012, 03:28 AM
First of all... Lakers did get jamison loser... Lakers will be fine i think. Look for lakers to make another deal maybe courtney lee s&t for blake or mcbob.. I think they are second in the west..dallas did get better and younger but dont think they are close to playoffs though

Fly
07-17-2012, 03:32 AM
Hell no to the Mavs, maybe to the Lakers, but it's still ultimately OKC's conference.

icon1914
07-17-2012, 03:36 AM
I just don't see The Mavs being that much better than last year... they have more depth, and are younger... but no one the team makes them better than OKC, or The Spurs... I kinda feel the same way about The Lakers... but I'm not going to count out Kobe and Nash... they could end up in the WCF.

ThunderousDemon
07-17-2012, 03:46 AM

What the hell does that even mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_mDTLphIVY

Monta is beast
07-17-2012, 03:51 AM
The Mavs will be fighting for the playoffs, let alone making it to the WCF.

Cracka2HI!
07-17-2012, 03:52 AM
I don't think the Thunder or Spurs have improved. The Thunder maybe because they will be a year better. There are quite a few teams that can possibly compete the WCF and the Mavs and Lakers may not be in my top 2. The West is going to be VERY tough. Show me a team that hasn't improved...besides Houston...yet.

Monta is beast
07-17-2012, 04:00 AM
I don't think the Thunder or Spurs have improved. The Thunder maybe because they will be a year better. There are quite a few teams that can possibly compete the WCF and the Mavs and Lakers may not be in my top 2. The West is going to be VERY tough. Show me a team that hasn't improved...besides Houston...yet.

Allot of teams have improved, but they are already good. Watch out for the Warriors though. It wont be this year, but I have a feeling were going to be competing for a championship very soon.

Cracka2HI!
07-17-2012, 04:41 AM
Allot of teams have improved, but they are already good. Watch out for the Warriors though. It wont be this year, but I have a feeling were going to be competing for a championship very soon.

It will be a different Dubs team fo sho. Improved no doubt!

Rome
07-17-2012, 04:55 AM
LA has a better shot than Dallas.

Blazers#1Fan
07-17-2012, 05:24 AM

Not really everybody knows there weakness now i say there top 4 but not a lock or on smash as you put it(worst slang ive ever heard)

Okc,clippers,lakers,mavs,spurs,por,denver,wolves are all playoff bound i think clippers will murk okc if healthy same with lakers and mavs after this upcoming year okc will have just durant and westbrook and maybe one of harden and ibaka but i think both get huge contracts ibaka to spurs harden to Portland makes to much sense but wont happen i think he goes to a big market though maybe boston

2012-13 nba finals miami vs lakers

Remember the lakers arnt dumb they will get some more players thru trades before the deadline iguodala or josh smith for expiring contracts and picks

king4day
07-17-2012, 08:03 AM
LAL I think so. They've gotten deeper and have the same team for the most part. Adding Nash will make their offense a whole lot tougher to defend.

Dallas is trickier. Very nice moves but losing Kidd and Terry didn't help. Makes their new moves more of lateral ones. Of the new players they've acquired, I think Kaman will make the most impact. Him on a one year deal though isn't smart. If he stays healthy and has a good year, chances are, another team will offer him a ton next year.
Playoffs yes, but I see them out in round 1.

Jarvo
07-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Laker Vs Heat finals how I see it and PSD will crash

kdspurman
07-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Lakers yes, Mavs no. Dallas has made some great additions this off season, but they are losing a lot of continuity they had. I think they will finish anywhere from 6-9.

But, things change during the course of the season, this is just an estimation based off the current circumstances.

mrblisterdundee
07-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Mark (Cuban) my words: Dallas will never win another championship in the Dirk Nowitzki era.

King41
07-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Mark (Cuban) my words: Dallas will never win another championship in the Dirk Nowitzki era.

maybe but dirk gets one and that is good

justinnum1
07-17-2012, 03:16 PM
lakers yes, mavs no.

kobe4thewinbang
07-17-2012, 06:56 PM
The Lakers were too slow for OKC last year.

They've added Steve Nash, who can't defend very well.
Plus O'Neal & Jamison, the latter of which might help, but J. O'Neal?!

We still have Troy Murphy (who plays like the fallen city, when, if, he plays)
and Blake the "point guard" who can't guard Westbrook to save his life.
Oh, and Mike Brown at the helm, who keeps Blake in the game anyway.

Unless Gasol wakes up from his coma, it'll be last year all over again.
Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if even the Grizzlies whoop LA's butt.

Bottom line: LA needs fast players, tall and strong players, and some HEART.

Dallas is clearly going to have some dark times, but I think they'll be great in a couple years.

luke21
07-17-2012, 07:02 PM
First of all Jamison has agreed verbally but isn't in the country to sign.

The Lakers would've beaten the Thunder if they had Nash last year, If they acquire D12&Nash makes them clearly better than OKC.

Lakers would beat them like Miami did.

Mavs???? They will be lucky to get outta the 1st Round

Joker55
07-17-2012, 07:05 PM

????????

While they are younger I agree with the Mavs.

Your sig...hahahah

LA_Raiders
07-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Lakers Yes.

Dallas? HELL NO...

MFFL==FML
07-17-2012, 07:16 PM
The question isn't "will they make it to the WCF", the question is can they "compete". Anyone who says no is a damn fool. If a country can compete with team USA (meaning not get blown the hell out), then why can't the Mavericks compete with anyone in the west? Doesn't mean they will win, it just means they definitely provide good competition and a possibility to get there.

You guys are ********...

xxplayerxx23
07-17-2012, 07:36 PM
OKC Vs LA,Spurs, OR LAC is the only matchup I can see happening i dont see the mavs as a threat to get to the WCF Unless Mayo takes a huge step,

waveycrockett
07-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Dallas would get smashed

GoLeafsGo
07-17-2012, 07:52 PM
The question isn't "will they make it to the WCF", the question is can they "compete". Anyone who says no is a damn fool. If a country can compete with team USA (meaning not get blown the hell out), then why can't the Mavericks compete with anyone in the west? Doesn't mean they will win, it just means they definitely provide good competition and a possibility to get there.

You guys are ********...

lmao, I was waiting for a response like this

JerseyPalahniuk
07-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Mavs would be unlikely to be able to beat the Thunder/Spurs at this point but anything could happen in a 7 game series. Teams like the Clippers and Grizzlies should be looked out for as well.

NYSPORTSALLDAY
07-17-2012, 08:14 PM
I can see the lakers competing. Not the mavs

jmoney85
07-17-2012, 08:17 PM
mavs will be lucky to make the playoffs let alone be in the WCF lol

OA SLAY
07-17-2012, 08:21 PM
First of all... Lakers did get jamison loser... Lakers will be fine i think. Look for lakers to make another deal maybe courtney lee s&t for blake or mcbob.. I think they are second in the west..dallas did get better and younger but dont think they are close to playoffs though

Haha yeah LOSER !

Mr.B
07-17-2012, 10:37 PM

????????

Don't watch much basketball do you?

keetyweedy
07-17-2012, 10:41 PM
I'll make my opinion after the first 15-20 games are played, cant just jump to conclusions w/ this, they could tank or they could gel really good and make a deep run

Mr.B
07-17-2012, 10:42 PM

And yet, they still have a better shot than the Blazers.

As a Mavs fan I actually like the fact that no one thinks much of the Mavs. They have always done better as underdogs. Everytime they have been the front runners or favorites they get hammered.

jmoney85
07-17-2012, 10:49 PM
And yet, they still have a better shot than the Blazers.

As a Mavs fan I actually like the fact that no one thinks much of the Mavs. They have always done better as underdogs. Everytime they have been the front runners or favorites they get hammered.

how can you say they will have a better shot than the blazers? what makes you so sure of that

keetyweedy
07-17-2012, 10:50 PM
how can you say they will have a better shot than the blazers? what makes you so sure of that

because they have DIRK :facepalm:

jmoney85
07-17-2012, 11:13 PM
because they have DIRK :facepalm:

ok and?

does dirk play 5 positions?

keetyweedy
07-17-2012, 11:16 PM
ok and?

does dirk play 5 positions?

no, but you asked....

and I said because they have Dirk

UnWantedTheory
07-17-2012, 11:27 PM
I don't really see a 36 year old Jamison or a broken down O'neal doing much for the Lakers who are already old. They will definitely be dangerous, but they are losing ground. The Mavs have potential but will ultimately fall well short imo. Collison is overrated, Kaman is poor defensively, Dirk, Marion, & Carter are all well into their 30's, Brand although still a good player, is nowhere near what he once was, Mayo is solid, but hasn't been that great, & they lost 2 key players in Kidd & Terry.

koberulesall
07-18-2012, 09:30 PM
if everyone stays healthy and there are no major injury's for hopefully every team(never happens) I think WCF will be :)LAL:) and :mad:OKC:mad:

AKA TheMamba
07-18-2012, 09:31 PM
With the current roster I still think we'll fall victim to OKC.

Iceman_9
07-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Lakers will make it though.

GoLeafsGo
07-23-2012, 11:43 AM
jamison is not a laker

O RLY?:punish:

eaglesfanphilly
07-23-2012, 11:51 AM
have to say on paper i have the clippers as second in West behind the Thunder as of now, billups is coming back, signed jamal crawford, traded for lamar odom, very deep bench might be best in league imo

KB24PG16
07-23-2012, 12:00 PM
O RLY?:punish:

he said that before he signed officially :punish:

IIISSKiLL
07-23-2012, 12:04 PM
I hope we see the Lakers in the finals.. I think I speak for everyone when I say we want to see a Kobe vs LeBron match up

DoMeFavors
07-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Mavs will be lucky to get an 8th seed, they arent making the playoffs IMO

GoLeafsGo
07-23-2012, 03:29 PM
he said that before he signed officially :punish:

You mean when it was being speculated everywhere? Then he made it official like a day or two later? Yeah I surely reached on that one:facepalm:

LAKobeBryant
07-23-2012, 04:04 PM
i don't get why lakers are looking at JO and jamison they should focus on getting some shooters

ThunderousDemon
07-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Mavs will be lucky to get an 8th seed, they arent making the playoffs IMO

Gotcha. :up:

Zefflin
07-23-2012, 04:27 PM
The mavs will make the playoffs...and the Lakers always compete for the WCF...