PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Grade The Dallas Mavericks 2012 Offseason So Far?

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-17-2012, 12:08 AM
Lose:

Jason Kidd (signed with NYK)
Jason Terry (signed with BOS)
Brendan Haywood (Amnesty)
Ian Mahinmi (Traded to INDY)

Gain:

Elton Brand (Amnesty Waivers)
OJ Mayo (signed, previously with Grizzlies)
Dahntay Jones (traded from INDY)
Darren Collison (traded from INDY)
Chris Kaman (signed, previously with Hornets)

I think they got a whole lot younger, more athletic, with good size and inside play.

At this point of their careers, Collison > Kidd. Brand + Kaman > Mahinmi + Haywood. JET is a 6th man on the decline while OJ is 6th man on the rise and probably will start. Solid defender in Jones.

lpdunks8
07-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Terry is very clutch, but talentwise they got better.

OT Thriller
07-17-2012, 12:17 AM
People will look at their offseason and think about how they missed out on Deron Williams. While that hurts the grade, the Mavs did a phenomenal job of responding to Williams' rejection with a solid plan B. Collison, Kaman, Mayo, make their squad younger and also allows them space to invest in superstars during the next 2 offseasons.

They had a great offseason imo. I'll give them an A-. They are improved from last year for sure. Dirk should be a very happy camper.

Lakers + Giants
07-17-2012, 12:23 AM
Has to be from B+ to A either of those. They improved their team, while getting younger and will still have Cap Room in the next 2 off seasons! Impressive! Mad props to the Mavs FO.

Avenged
07-17-2012, 12:24 AM
A solid B. They are going to be a well balanced 5-6 seed team out West.

MFFL==FML
07-17-2012, 12:27 AM
Overall: A-

How they did from what was WITHIN their control: A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Chacarron
07-17-2012, 12:28 AM

I agree.

AllBall
07-17-2012, 12:28 AM
F-

Utter failure.

This team wont make the playoffs in the competitive West.

justinnum1
07-17-2012, 12:30 AM
B-

dodgersuck
07-17-2012, 12:31 AM
They turned their offseason around nicely since missing out on Deron. B+

Young2Kinsler
07-17-2012, 12:49 AM
It's an A all the way. Dallas has compiled a competitive team, WAY better than last season, while "keeping the powder dry" for a run at as superstar again next offseason.

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-17-2012, 12:51 AM
F-

Utter failure.

This team wont make the playoffs in the competitive West.

Awww, poor thing. Still sore about 2011 I see. :laugh2:

Vinny642
07-17-2012, 12:51 AM
I give em a B+

keetyweedy
07-17-2012, 12:57 AM
so much for us not making the playoffs :laugh:

knicks4life33
07-17-2012, 12:57 AM
B only reason being there goal in the offseason was to get Derron Williams and they lost terry who is clutch but they got alot of assests as it looked like from the start they were going to have a horrible off season .

Delusional
07-17-2012, 12:58 AM
A solid B. They haven't made any flashy moves but they've gotten slightly better and more importantly younger.

LTBaByyy
07-17-2012, 01:03 AM
A-

Collison
Kaman
Brand
Mayo
Jones
Cunningham
Crowder
James

All added to last years team :clap:

And we will still be top 3 in cap space the next 2 summers!

Vinny642
07-17-2012, 01:09 AM
A-

Collison
Kaman
Brand
Mayo
Jones
Cunningham
Crowder
James

Not as good as the Hornets though we get an A+ by far

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-17-2012, 01:11 AM
A-

Collison
Kaman
Brand
Mayo
Jones
Cunningham
Crowder
James

I think they need some knockdown 3 pt shooters on that roster. They should go after someone like a Bellinelli and see if they can bring back Delonte to backup Collison.

Then they'll be really solid IMO to go along with what they already have in Dirk and Marion.

Puck017
07-17-2012, 01:11 AM
All thats left is to trade for AI.

LTBaByyy
07-17-2012, 01:17 AM
I think they need some knockdown 3 pt shooters on that roster. They should go after someone like a Bellinelli and see if they can bring back Delonte to backup Collison.

Then they'll be really solid IMO to go along with what they already have in Dirk and Marion.

Exactly! I expect Belinelli and West to be our final signings

UNLESS we pull a rabbit out of hat and trade one or two of these young guys with Marion for Iggy

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-17-2012, 01:19 AM
Exactly! I expect Belinelli and West to be our final signings

UNLESS we pull a rabbit out of hat and trade one or two of these young guys with Marion for Iggy

That would be the smart way to go IMO if you guys get Iggy. Then you guys really are back into the thick of things with the Lakers, Spurs and Thunder as a Top 4 seed.

gatkins11
07-17-2012, 01:23 AM
I'd love to have Iggy in a Mavs uni. That would be fantastic.

IronMan21
07-17-2012, 01:31 AM
if i had to say, b+

Young2Kinsler
07-17-2012, 01:33 AM
No room for 2 more guys unless we make a trade. I expect them to retain Delonte for the mini MLE and be done.

keetyweedy
07-17-2012, 01:36 AM
No room for 2 more guys unless we make a trade. I expect them to retain Delonte for the mini MLE and be done.

Agreed, either Delonte or Belinelli but im kind of leaning towards Delonte since he already knows the system & carlisle is prob more comfortable w/ him

LTBaByyy
07-17-2012, 01:37 AM
If any other team added every player we did after the season ended they would get a A+

Its just that we missed out on Deron that drops our grade so A- or B+ at worst

Gagan136
07-17-2012, 01:38 AM
First week/ 2nd week F, they lost on DWill a player they thought they would get since last year and they lost a few players in FA, Last week/week and a half A, they got a young quick PG and decent defender for Mahinmi, and did great picking up Brand Kaman and Mayo.
Total grade B, they got athletic and younger and will still have a lot of money to spend for the next two summers.

LTBaByyy
07-17-2012, 01:40 AM
I thought we got Mayo agreed to a sign and trade

So we give up one player and then sign Bellinelli and West

keetyweedy
07-17-2012, 01:43 AM
If any other team added every player we did after the season ended they would get a A+

Its just that we missed out on Deron that drops our grade so A- or B+ at worst

But honestly just because we missed out on D-will does it really drop us down to a B? we got younger more athletic and saved money all at the same time, A- cool but B+ ? I seen in another thread people where giving miami a B- just for adding declining ray allen and Rashard Lewis(NO BAITING JUST MY OPINION TO ALL HEAT FANS) & I know our off season was substantially better than miami

LTBaByyy
07-17-2012, 01:50 AM
I give Miami a C because they have Battier, Miller, Jones who are all good 3 pt shooters

They should have spent that money for Camby, Darko, or Oneal and they would be unstoppable

They keep stacking up on guards each off season instead of Center

b@llhog24
07-17-2012, 01:55 AM
B minus.

b@llhog24
07-17-2012, 01:55 AM
I give Miami a C because they have Battier, Miller, Jones who are all good 3 pt shooters

They should have spent that money for Camby, Darko, or Oneal and they would be unstoppable

They keep stacking up on guards each off season instead of Center

Oneal is DONE.

keetyweedy
07-17-2012, 01:57 AM
Oneal is DONE.

Tell that to the lakers:laugh:

Gagan136
07-17-2012, 01:59 AM
Oneal is DONE.

Lol apparently not, hes got a workout for LA tomorrow.:facepalm::facepalm:

Mr.B
07-17-2012, 02:01 AM
I thought we got Mayo agreed to a sign and trade

So we give up one player and then sign Bellinelli and West

I still have a feeling Roddy has played his last game for the Mavs.

Losoway
07-17-2012, 02:15 AM
no way you can sit here and say that dallas had a A+ offseason

they didnt get any players they wanted . with that being said they was able to get few decent players and get younger

i give em a C- . if they didnt get oj mayo it would be a D to be honest

Mcdoh
07-17-2012, 02:20 AM
B+ got younger and much of an upgrade to the old roster.. nice turn around..

shep33
07-17-2012, 02:26 AM
B+... I think we're getting a little carried away with some of these guys though.

Brand is a good signing, but I think we're overrating that one there. Dude averaged 11 and 7 in the East. Now he'll be coming off the bench against bigger players out west, and he's 33 with a severe history of injuries.

The Last two years Chris Kaman has been injury plagued. His offensive numbers have declined significantly as well over the past three seasons. He isn't very efficient offensively either, shooting around 46% the past two years. His defense is pretty sketchy to say the least as well.

Collison was a steal, same with Mayo. Not convinced yet about Mayo being a starter. Undersized SG who will get lit up by bigger guards. Mayo has been beyond horrid in the playoffs, shooting around 35% over the past two postseasons.

Still like what they did though. They'll keep Dirk happy, while remain flexible in terms of cap space for the future. Kudos Cubes :clap:

numba1CHANGsta
07-17-2012, 02:31 AM
the lose of Terry is bigger than you think, they have no bench

Losoway
07-17-2012, 02:33 AM

this

Laker Legend42
07-17-2012, 02:37 AM
It started off at F. They have completed some extra credit and is now a strong B

Lakers + Giants
07-17-2012, 02:45 AM

I'm a laker fan too but C'MON!

Bench:

PG Beaubois
SG Delonte West (if Re-Signed), Dahntay Jones
SF Vince Carter
PF Elton Brand
C Brandan Wright

How is that a bad Bench??? I would kill for the lakers to have THAT bench. Top 5 Bench in the league IMO.

Blazers#1Fan
07-17-2012, 03:03 AM
Lol apparently not, hes got a workout for LA tomorrow.:facepalm::facepalm:

Kaman
Dirk/Brand
Marion/jones
Mayo/Cunningham
Collison

And i hear they are after CJ Miles but doubt they get him after signing mayo next year i bet they sign josh smith to play SF and people who say jsmoove isnt fast enough or has handles enough need to watch him hes a poor mans lebron

Blazers#1Fan
07-17-2012, 03:04 AM
I'm a laker fan too but C'MON!

Bench:

PG Beaubois
SG Delonte West (if Re-Signed), Dahntay Jones
SF Vince Carter
PF Elton Brand
C Brandan Wright

How is that a bad Bench??? I would kill for the lakers to have THAT bench. Top 5 Bench in the league IMO.

I forgot they had carter and beaubois

Blazers#1Fan
07-17-2012, 03:08 AM
Now they should sign grant hill get another center and there stacked do they have enough for McGee or did he resign in denver cuz if they could get him theres a future championship maybe get Ibaka next year

Fly
07-17-2012, 03:40 AM
A-

nbrod
07-17-2012, 07:48 AM
B+ it wasn't looking so good early on but they got some solid veterans and good young pieces

nate2usmc
07-17-2012, 08:32 AM
GREAT comeback from what seemed like a doomed offseason. A-

All these additions seem like good trade pieces for a star tho. Hmm.....

Heatcheck
07-17-2012, 08:37 AM
REally??? i know we dont want to sound like haters but cmon. these are serviceable players on contenders, noone there is perrenial allstar material, no one there is a starter on playoff teams except maybe kaman because of his size. it was good because they salvaged something and IF Mayo and Collison develop its good. And they have no playmaker.

They may make the playoffs becuase of dirk

JordansBulls
07-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Are they going to keep Vince Carter?

YoungOne
07-17-2012, 08:58 AM
their draft day trade looks stupid now, cause they could really use zeller as their back up center

king4day
07-17-2012, 09:24 AM
They've turned it around nicely considering 2 weeks ago they were up there in terms of having the worst offseason.
They still don't have an authentic PG so losing Kidd will hurt there.
I think Collison is more of a combo guard, along with Mayo. Excellent talent and didn't give up much to get them.
Kaman was my fav signing by them. That may be the move of the year should he stay healthy.
Not sure how Brand will be off the bench. he's depth though.

I'd givem a B+

xxplayerxx23
07-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Thought it was bad. But after seeing OJ mayo sign I loved their offseason. B+. They built a nice team around Dirk, if Dirk can play like '11 playoffs they could make a run :P

Hawkamania
07-17-2012, 10:10 AM
I'd give them an A when considering what they lost vs. whom they gained and how they kept themselves in a great position to offer a max contract to a big free agent next off season.

Knick_Fever
07-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Cmon, did you really think Cuban was gonna sit back and do nothing? So far I give them an A but still think they need one more solid piece, preferably a swing man at the three.

Young2Kinsler
07-17-2012, 11:19 AM
their draft day trade looks stupid now, cause they could really use zeller as their back up center

We have Kaman, Brand, Wright, and the rookie James. How many more C do we freaking need?

Young2Kinsler
07-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Now they should sign grant hill get another center and there stacked do they have enough for McGee or did he resign in denver cuz if they could get him theres a future championship maybe get Ibaka next year

Don't think Hill would want to come here. As for McGee, Dallas isn't giving anyone a long term deal, much less add a 4th-5th C to the roster.

TeamSeattle
07-17-2012, 11:22 AM
I'd give them an A- so far but they are very close to being a solid team. I still think they should try and go after a small forward; I like Shawn Marion but he's approaching his end sooner or later.

Young2Kinsler
07-17-2012, 11:36 AM
I'd give them an A- so far but they are very close to being a solid team. I still think they should try and go after a small forward; I like Shawn Marion but he's approaching his end sooner or later.

Marion is a fine starting SF in this league, and a premier defender. He and Dirk are the only Mavs on the book next season, so they COULD look to move him in a deal that adds that "star" level player, but I can't see them moving him just to dump the last year of his deal unless they are struggling at the deadline.

Heatcheck
07-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Brand: 11pts & 7rb on 49%
Collison: 10pts 3rb & 4ast on 44%
Kaman: Career 11 and 8 guy on 48% (didnt play all of last year, but what else is new)
And then Mayo whos shot selection is almost as dissapointing as Michael Beasleys career.

add that to a 36yrold Carter: 10pts 3rb & 2ast on 41%, a 33 yrold Shawn Marion and Rodrique whatever the ****, and thats who's going to help Dirk get to the playoffs?

I give em a D, just cause you dont break up that championship team on a pipe dream.
They legitimately would have had a chance to repeat with that team.

I really like collison though, i think he can rack up points with the open space dirk creates ala Barea. and If healthy Kaman is a definite upgrade at the ever important center pos.

Young2Kinsler
07-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Brand: 11pts & 7rb on 49%
Collison: 10pts 3rb & 4ast on 44%
Kaman: Career 11 and 8 guy on 48% (didnt play all of last year, but what else is new)
And then Mayo whos shot selection is almost as dissapointing as Michael Beasleys career.

add that to a 36yrold Carter: 10pts 3rb & 2ast on 41%, a 33 yrold Shawn Marion and Rodrique whatever the ****, and thats who's going to help Dirk get to the playoffs?

I give em a D, just cause you dont break up that championship team on a pipe dream.
They legitimately would have had a chance to repeat with that team.

I really like collison though, i think he rack up points with the open space dirk creates.

LOLZ, you make a great troll.

This roster is just as talented, if not more than our title team. Chandler was the ONE player we let walk that I could consider bringing back. Giving big, long deals to Barea and Stevenson would have been bad.

Heatcheck
07-17-2012, 11:51 AM
LOLZ, you make a great troll.

This roster is just as talented, if not more than our title team. Chandler was the ONE player we let walk that I could consider bringing back. Giving big, long deals to Barea and Stevenson would have been bad.

atta boy sport, blindly defend your team, thats how you know your a true fan.

YOUR ****ING HILARIOUS. but yea yea im a troll, your right, A+++ is what they deserve.

You got a bunch of mediocre players and a 34 yr old star, and im a troll.

Yankeefan213
07-17-2012, 11:55 AM
It went from bad to very good in a matter of a week. They lost out on Nash, Kidd, Terry and Lin and everyone thought they ****ed up bad. Then they get Mayo, Collison, Brand. Id say either B+ or A-

Heatcheck
07-17-2012, 11:56 AM
It went from bad to very good in a matter of a week. They lost out on Nash, Kidd, Terry and Lin and everyone thought they ****ed up bad. Then they get Mayo, Collison, Brand. Id say either B+ or A-

wow, judging from the responses here, i have completely underestimated all these guys. i doubt it though.
we'll see what happens.

Stinkyoutsider
07-17-2012, 12:12 PM
They've done a good job with the available players. I thought they needed some youth on the team because they had a lot of older vets on the team last year.

Kaman will be good inside, Mayo can fill the role of Terry (might not be as clutch though), and Collison will start. On top of that, they'll have cap room to go after free agents for next season.

And on top of that, they went and picked up Brand. I think Brand can give them 15 ppg inside and they still have Vince Carter too. If he picks it up, the team will be good.

ddhulett
07-17-2012, 12:27 PM
atta boy sport, blindly defend your team, thats how you know your a true fan.

YOUR ****ING HILARIOUS. but yea yea im a troll, your right, A+++ is what they deserve.

You got a bunch of mediocre players and a 34 yr old star, and im a troll.

They didn't get D-Will so would you say the Mavs made the next best move putting together a team?

With no other Star available to pair with Dirk we were able to put together a good team not great but good with a chance to make a run in the playoffs as well as leave flexibility next year for 2013 FA's and we also acquired trade assets.

Kaman- when healthy is just as good as Marc Gasol or Roy Hibbert for cheap.
Elton Brand- He's a solid player as a back up for Dirk I think any team would like that off the bench.
OJ.Mayo- His career as a Starter would put him right were JET was, 24yrs old and 2 inches taller.
Collison- He's a decent guard that would easily be an upgrade over JJ Barea and we got him for nothing.

We still have Marion and Carter along with Roddy, DoJo etc.

Dirk has always been the lone star so I wouldn't over look that. Mediocre isn't I would call these players much like the championship team their deep now.

Mavs are the only Big Market team with the cap space to sign Dwight and CP3 next year.

I give it an A- grade

Heatcheck
07-17-2012, 12:47 PM
They didn't get D-Will so would you say the Mavs made the next best move putting together a team?

With no other Star available to pair with Dirk we were able to put together a good team not great but good with a chance to make a run in the playoffs as well as leave flexibility next year for 2013 FA's and we also acquired trade assets.

Kaman- when healthy is just as good as Marc Gasol or Roy Hibbert for cheap.
Elton Brand- He's a solid player as a back up for Dirk I think any team would like that off the bench.
OJ.Mayo- His career as a Starter would put him right were JET was, 24yrs old and 2 inches taller.
Collison- He's a decent guard that would easily be an upgrade over JJ Barea and we got him for nothing.

We still have Marion and Carter along with Roddy, DoJo etc.

Dirk has always been the lone star so I wouldn't over look that. Mediocre isn't I would call these players much like the championship team their deep now.

Mavs are the only Big Market team with the cap space to sign Dwight and CP3 next year.

I give it an A- grade

I just feel like they had a winning formula, that all the pieces finally fit, and could legitimately get it done the next year and Cuban ended up outsmarting himself.

Having a championship team (real contender, not just that they can win a bunch of regular season games) isnt easy to come by and to risk it cuz maybe next year if not the next year we might be able to land such and such,
isnt smart when you already have someone like Dirk whos running out of time (he'll always be able to shoot, its the all around production).

I understand stats arent everything, but you need production along with hustle and chemistry, i just dont know where their going to get it. MAYBE collison can be that guy playing with someone like dirk.

slugger82685
07-17-2012, 01:01 PM
I just feel like they had a winning formula, that all the pieces finally fit, and could legitimately get it done the next year and Cuban ended up outsmarting himself.

Having a championship team (real contender, not just that they can win a bunch of regular season games) isnt easy to come by and to risk it cuz maybe next year if not the next year we might be able to land such and such,
isnt smart when you already have someone like Dirk whos running out of time (he'll always be able to shoot, its the all around production).

I understand stats arent everything, but you need production along with hustle and chemistry, i just dont know where their going to get it. MAYBE collison can be that guy playing with someone like dirk.

what you dont understand is that their 2011 team was not a championship team in the aspect of being able to make multiple runs at championships, they were a team that won a championship, not a championship team. They got on a super hot streak at the right time and ended up taking the whole thing, that more than likely would not happen again. The only guy that might have been worth a contract was Chandler, the rest is justified for not overspending.
As far as this offseason goes, I give them a B+ because of the fact that they pretty much just sat a waited for Dwill while other players were coming off the board and then didnt get Dwill. But they turned it around very nicely and got younger while still being deep and improving from last years team. This team is probably a very solid 5-6 seed and another team that if they work well together could make another hot streak in the playoffs.

ddhulett
07-17-2012, 01:04 PM

The Mavs were pushing for a championship for over 10 years and during those years they got older and never had cap space. They won on the opposite side, they werent OKC who are building.

Mavs always kept collecting talent by trade not through Free Agency and because of the age of everyone we ran out of trade assets.

The plan was to have Cap space before they won the championship and for 2012 this year for the first time since Cuban bought the team. All they did was follow through with the plan.

Look at the guys they let go, it was nobody great, no start etc it was chemistry built around Dirk and team play with Coach putting it all together.

With the new CBA Cuban realized that you can't keep paying non stars big money. Chandler is getting paid 14mil a year, that's almost what DWill and others are making and it will cap strap your team from acquiring real talent.

nrvana
07-17-2012, 01:07 PM

Nobody thought the Mavs were contenders in 2010 aside from its fans. We limped in the playoffs and George Karl publicially called us out as the team ripe for upset. We were suppose to lose get swept by the Lakers, and lose to the Heat.

We caught lightning in a bottle. That's not a championship formula, that's just being realistic. Dirk and co. played out of their minds and took us to the top. Cuban realizing the team for what it is, knew that lightning doesn't strike the same place twice so he took the risk. Losing tyson hurt - same with losing nash, but Cuban always has the best interest of the team at heart- even if it means going one step backwards short-term. Some risks pay off, some don't. It doesn't stop him from being gun-shy and forward thinking, and I at least commend him for that.

Heatcheck
07-17-2012, 01:12 PM
we'll see how it turns out. it is good that they didnt get into longterm commitments, that would have set them back eventually.

Rockice_8
07-17-2012, 01:49 PM
I'd give them a 7

Out of 20 :cool:

Any Wilfred fans?

mavwar53
07-17-2012, 02:00 PM
I'd give it a C- maybe a C,

All these moves are for 1 year deals, they are making moves just to keep cap space for next year.

Mayo, Brand and Collison are all overrated, Dahntay Jones is best on a winning team, and Kaman might be the best signing of all, although he isn't a difference maker.

With the roster now, Dallas gets the 10th-12th spot in the west, no playoffs.

D-Leethal
07-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Considering what they looked like a week ago, damn near close to an A. They patched up that sinking ship very nicely and may have even improved it somehow.

I'm still completely baffled how Ian Mahimni get S & T'ed for Collison and Dahntay Jones

MrfadeawayJB
07-17-2012, 02:28 PM

this. And it could have easily been a F if Cuban didnt work his magic

King41
07-17-2012, 03:51 PM
It's an A all the way. Dallas has compiled a competitive team, WAY better than last season, while "keeping the powder dry" for a run at as superstar again next offseason.

you are so right

AnthonyTyrael
07-17-2012, 04:58 PM
B

... more to come. Roody, DoJo, Marion, Vince, maybe Delonte all can be dealt. I wouldn't but I hear rumors that make sense and such that are nonsense. From Iggy via Calderon to Belinelli. Waiving D Jones. Terry hasn't signed yet. Boston is eager too. It's not over yet, I'm expecting one or two more trades (and one resigning).