PDA

View Full Version : Why do the 76ers keep trying to trade Iggy?

LTBaByyy
07-16-2012, 03:25 PM
All Star
USA Olympic team
Top 3 defender in NBA
Top 5 SF in NBA
Only 28 years old just heading into the peak of his prime
Unselfish with no ego
Passes, Defends, Play maker, Scores

Why do they keep wanting to trade him? The 76ers don't even make the playoffs and go as far without him

Evan Turner and Moe Harkless are good but if I had to choose, its Iggy no question and try to trade Turner

Atl Bill
07-16-2012, 03:39 PM
**** i would love for the hawks to trade for iggy.

Losoway
07-16-2012, 03:42 PM
i been asking myself this for a while .

its probably because he hasnt shown the ability to be a clutch star .

he is better suited for playing with another star because alot of the pressure would be taken off him

Gritz
07-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Rumors

bloomis1307
07-16-2012, 03:54 PM
i been asking myself this for a while .

its probably because he hasnt shown the ability to be a clutch star .

he is better suited for playing with another star because alot of the pressure would be taken off him

I think you are right, I just hope he gets the opportunity to do that before his career is over. I've always thought of him as a 1B type player. Sort of in the same vein as Pau Gasol; Good enough by himself to take his team to the playoffs (memphis) but needs some help to get it done and win a ring

LTBaByyy
07-16-2012, 03:57 PM
I would love for him to be in Dallas!

mp3
07-16-2012, 03:58 PM
We're tired of not having a go to scorer and Iggy is not a #1 option by any means. He would be an excellent 3rd option on a team, possibly 2nd. It's not that we hate Iggy, it's just there is no purpose for him being on this team. Last season our highest scoring player was Lou Williams and he was our 6th man. Our highest paid guy shouldn't be averaging a mere 14 - 16 ppg.

SlimKid
07-16-2012, 03:58 PM
I love Iggy and his style of play, but he does make a ton of money with a player option next year, maybe that's a factor in the 76er's thinking.. It's a good question though, I'd love to have him on my team.

smith&wesson
07-16-2012, 03:59 PM
he is under rated and under apreciated.

marj987
07-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Roddy, Marion, and picks for iggy.

TheNumber37
07-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Because you know what you get for him and it's not enough. He's more complimentary than anything. Would be perfect along side a Kobe, Melo, KD type. OR a Great 6th man for San Antonio.

dalton749
07-16-2012, 04:02 PM
thats why he needs to come to toronto. he can take pressure off bargnani defensively and bargs can take the pressure off offensively

SlimKid
07-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Because you know what you get for him and it's not enough. He's more complimentary than anything. Would be perfect along side a Kobe, Melo, KD type. OR a Great 6th man for San Antonio.

6th man? A 15M 6th man? That's nuts

Iverson3018
07-16-2012, 04:04 PM

6th man??

Iggy is a great defender,you need him in your starting 5

sixers247
07-16-2012, 04:04 PM
When is Marion's deal up? I really want them to get a young big but teams don;t give them up easily.

mp3
07-16-2012, 04:05 PM
I would love for him to be in Dallas!

Yeah I'd love him too if he was my second option after Dirk. You wouldn't love him being your #1 option.

DaddyCool
07-16-2012, 04:07 PM
It's really simple.

Are the Sixers a championship contender in any sense of the word?
No.

Can the Sixers in any realistic way become a championship contender with Iguodala on the roster?
No.

Are the Sixers with Iguodala currently constructed, a 1st round exit, mediocre team?
Yes.

What's the ultimate goal?
Winning a Championship.

Therefore, you trade Iguodala when his value is at his highest peak (now), get expirings and some young talent, mesh that young talent with the young talent already in place. Tank, watch the youth grow together, and maybe a championship contender will emerge. The Sixers in this current state are stuck in mediocrity. Iggy's prime will be wasted playing with younger guys not at their peaks like Holiday, Turner. and when Turner, Holiday hit their primes, Iggy will be too old to be a starter on a championship team. Mediocrity forever.

Tmath
07-16-2012, 04:11 PM
When is Marion's deal up? I really want them to get a young big but teams don;t give them up easily.

Ed Davis is available.

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-16-2012, 04:11 PM
They continue to draft players at his position. He has no offensive game. I'm sorry his shot from 15 feet back is awful. He's a defensive stud yes, but they can find other cheaper options.

Atl Bill
07-16-2012, 04:13 PM
would love the idea, of
76ers: Horford

Magic: Atl's 2 first round picks
76ers 2 first round picks

Hawks:
Iggy n d12

obviously some other contracts might have to be involved but that would pretty much be the start of a 3 team trade.

sep11ie
07-16-2012, 04:23 PM
would love the idea, of
76ers: Horford

Magic: Atl's 2 first round picks
76ers 2 first round picks

Hawks:
Iggy n d12

obviously some other contracts might have to be involved but that would pretty much be the start of a 3 team trade.

Lol, WOW!

Atl Bill
07-16-2012, 04:42 PM
i wouldn't mind adding teauge to the deal for the 76ers. with that said it would be a good *** deal for the 76ers.

sixers247
07-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Trade is wack but Horford in Philly makes me :drool:

Atl Bill
07-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Trade is wack but Horford in Philly makes me :drool:

even with jeff teauge u think that deal is whack?!?!

you guys are shedding probally 3 mill?

Swashcuff
07-16-2012, 05:00 PM
This question should have been posed in the 76ers forum the amount of ignorant posts regarding him and his role on our team in the NBA forum is going to be beyond ridiculous.

Swashcuff
07-16-2012, 05:02 PM
They continue to draft players at his position. He has no offensive game. I'm sorry his shot from 15 feet back is awful. He's a defensive stud yes, but they can find other cheaper options.

Name one cheaper option that would anchor one of the top defenses in the NBA while being the catalyst on offense.

I don't know if you realized but last season Andre Iguodala has one of the best 3 point shots among start SFs in the league and generated more offense for his team than any player not named LeBron, Carmelo, Pierce and Durant at the SF position.

To say he is replaceable and has no offensive game is really not very smart.

Tmath
07-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Bargnani + 2nd rd picks

for

Iggy

Swashcuff
07-16-2012, 05:05 PM
even with jeff teauge u think that deal is whack?!?!

you guys are shedding probally 3 mill?

The deal is whack because its an absolute rape of the Magic. With the addition of Horford the 76ers surely wouldn't be a lottery team and the Hawks with all those shooters and the defensive F-F-C lineup of Iggy, Smith and Dwight would be possible championship contenders. Those first round picks would mean nothing to the Magic.

Atl Bill
07-16-2012, 05:20 PM
The deal is whack because its an absolute rape of the Magic. With the addition of Horford the 76ers surely wouldn't be a lottery team and the Hawks with all those shooters and the defensive F-F-C lineup of Iggy, Smith and Dwight would be possible championship contenders. Those first round picks would mean nothing to the Magic.

4 first rounds picks at this point for the magic seems like a good deal, considering that they aren't going to get much in return for d12. N in atl D12 will be greeted like a King. I believe its a great deal, n an even better deal if it happend without jeff being involved. I JUST DONT SEE THE MAGIC GETTING A BETTER DEAL THAN THIS.

Swashcuff
07-16-2012, 05:23 PM
4 first rounds picks at this point for the magic seems like a good deal, considering that they aren't going to get much in return for d12. N in atl D12 will be greeted like a King. I believe its a great deal, n an even better deal if it happend without jeff being involved. I JUST DONT SEE THE MAGIC GETTING A BETTER DEAL THAN THIS.

Andrew Bynum by himself is better than 4 late first round picks. Too bad he won't be staying in Orlando if traded there. There are many other deals that would/would have make/made more sense to Orlando than this.

Atl Bill
07-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Andrew Bynum by himself is better than 4 late first round picks. Too bad he won't be staying in Orlando if traded there. There are many other deals that would/would have make/made more sense to Orlando than this.

Horford + 1st round pick for d12 sounds better than bynum. what other deals would have made sense? i haven't seen one decent deal. Orlando is overvaluing a depreciating asset. No one wants to play in orlando. d12 wants. Philly would like to get rid of Iggy. I haven't seen a better trade, even if you think the Magic get shafted in this deal. It leaves philly in a good position and allows the magic to rebuild.

b@llhog24
07-16-2012, 05:27 PM
It's really simple.

Are the Sixers a championship contender in any sense of the word?
No.

Can the Sixers in any realistic way become a championship contender with Iguodala on the roster?
No.

Are the Sixers with Iguodala currently constructed, a 1st round exit, mediocre team?
Yes.

What's the ultimate goal?
Winning a Championship.

Therefore, you trade Iguodala when his value is at his highest peak (now), get expirings and some young talent, mesh that young talent with the young talent already in place. Tank, watch the youth grow together, and maybe a championship contender will emerge. The Sixers in this current state are stuck in mediocrity. Iggy's prime will be wasted playing with younger guys not at their peaks like Holiday, Turner. and when Turner, Holiday hit their primes, Iggy will be too old to be a starter on a championship team. Mediocrity forever.

Thread should have ended here.

He shots 47% from 15ft. :confused:

YoungOne
07-16-2012, 05:35 PM
cause they need a bigman and he could net them one and his position SG/SF is pretty crowded in philly

Atl Bill
07-16-2012, 05:41 PM
cause they need a bigman and he could net them one and his position SG/SF is pretty crowded in philly

three way atl and the magic.

Nycbball08
07-16-2012, 05:44 PM
he is under rated and under apreciated.

And a 80mil contract, he's certainly not under paid....

smith&wesson
07-16-2012, 05:48 PM
And a 80mil contract, he's certainly not under paid....

Maybe over paid.

but the fact that they keep trying to trade him i think indicates they dont value him as they should. he is the perfect complimentary piece. i dont think its his fault the 76ers dont have a good first option because he would be great beside a true talented scorer.

theLgndKllr35
07-16-2012, 05:49 PM
i wouldn't mind adding teauge to the deal for the 76ers. with that said it would be a good *** deal for the 76ers.

With the pieces you put in place, here's what the deal would need to look like (and never will happen because the Magic want to clear contracts)

Hawks get: Andre Iguodala and Dwight Howard

Sixers get: Al Horford

Magic get: Nik Vucevic, Jeff Teague, John Jenkins, Arnett Moultrie, 4 firsts (3 Atlanta and 1 from Sixers)

Keep in mind this gives Atlanta (Smith, Iguodala, Howard) so their 1sts likely mean nothing.

Atl Bill
07-16-2012, 05:57 PM
With the pieces you put in place, here's what the deal would need to look like (and never will happen because the Magic want to clear contracts)

Magic get: Nik Vucevic, Jeff Teague, John Jenkins, Arnett Moultrie, 4 firsts (3 Atlanta and 1 from Sixers)

Keep in mind this gives Atlanta (Smith, Iguodala, Howard) so their 1sts likely mean nothing.
i dont like loosing jenkins, in this trade but all for it, only problem is we cant trade jenkins till later on in the year? (cba ****:confused:)

Atl Bill
07-16-2012, 05:58 PM
they have a 1st from houston, so idk could turn out to be a decent pick.

TheNumber37
07-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Iggy is great. But that is not to say that he could NOT be a 6th man.
He would be a great fit for San Antonio, Tornoto, Warriors, Clippers, Lakers, Hornets, Suns, Portland, Sacramento, Wolves... A lot of teams could use his services.

SlimKid
07-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Iggy is great. But that is not to say that he could NOT be a 6th man.
He would be a great fit for San Antonio, Tornoto, Warriors, Clippers, Lakers, Hornets, Suns, Portland, Sacramento, Wolves... A lot of teams could use his services.

I mean of course he could be a 6th man, a great one at that, technically every star could be a 6th man. I just find it hard to believe any team that would be interested in his services would ever think to pay/play him as a 6th man. That's all I'm saying

EvanTurner
07-17-2012, 08:07 AM
The sixers clearly hasnt been serious about trading iggy or it woulda happend since hes been on the so call block for 3 years... Iggy aint going nowhere, once turner and jrue take the next step this year the sixers wil be dangerous

FriedTofuz
07-17-2012, 08:59 AM

Ed davis has been balling in the summer league. Him + calderon ( expiring) + a second round pick 30-35

Ed Davis ( young upcoming big, improved, just from even the summer league)
Jose calderon( 10 mil expiring)
2nd round pick 30-35th

FriedTofuz
07-17-2012, 09:00 AM

That trade is terrible for the magic. Theyd be better off trading him to houston.

theheatles
07-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Greenie said iguodala woulnd't make the usa select team that played the 92 dream team, when in reality iguodala would stick clyde or mullen so hard they'd quit basketball

theLgndKllr35
07-17-2012, 04:19 PM
That trade is terrible for the magic. Theyd be better off trading him to houston.

It's a **** ton of youth, essentially 8 first round picks, so I'm not sure how that's terrible. And if you note at the top, it says will never happen because the Magic are looking to clear cap.

NBAFan2012
07-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Maybe cause he sucks? Ignore his numbers, and watch him out there. Watch him play on Team USA he is Kevin Loveesque non existent for Team USA. I dont understand why people think he is good it is really amazing stuff

Swashcuff
07-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Maybe cause he sucks? Ignore his numbers, and watch him out there. Watch him play on Team USA he is Kevin Loveesque non existent for Team USA. I dont understand why people think he is good it is really amazing stuff

Really? The player who got player of the game against Domincan Republic for the US and was said to be the team's best defensive player in 2010 sucks? Interesting.

kobe4thewinbang
07-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Can't PHILA just amnesty him? He still gets paid, and someone else gets him, preferably someone that can use him better and he won't cost as much. That way, they don't have to trudge through all of the waiting and stagnant years while they work out a trade. I can't imagine teams want to welcome that $15 Mil with open arms since he's not a star.

IndyRealist
07-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Greenie said iguodala woulnd't make the usa select team that played the 92 dream team, when in reality iguodala would stick clyde or mullen so hard they'd quit basketball

I believe Drexler was #2 in MVP voting in '92. Let's not rewrite history.

gtgood
07-17-2012, 07:03 PM
All Star
USA Olympic team
Top 3 defender in NBA
Top 5 SF in NBA
Only 28 years old just heading into the peak of his prime
Unselfish with no ego
Passes, Defends, Play maker, Scores

Why do they keep wanting to trade him? The 76ers don't even make the playoffs and go as far without him

Evan Turner and Moe Harkless are good but if I had to choose, its Iggy no question and try to trade Turner

I can tell your not a 76er fan. He's a good defender not great didn't make 1st or 2nd team defense definitly not top 3, not even close to top 5 sf in this league you should get a clue before posting you thoughts.

kobe4thewinbang
07-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Or maybe PHILA should get a clue and quit stalling the inevitable.

theLgndKllr35
07-17-2012, 07:56 PM
I can tell your not a 76er fan. He's a good defender not great didn't make 1st or 2nd team defense definitly not top 3, not even close to top 5 sf in this league you should get a clue before posting you thoughts.

He's a Mavericks fan it would appear from his avatar.

But seriously, please tell me you didn't just site the NBA 1st and 2nd defensive teams as reasoning. :laugh:

There is one defender who is close to Iguodala's level defensively and it's Lebron. Everyone else is second tier.

Swashcuff
07-17-2012, 08:50 PM
I hope the OP can now see why posting a thread like this in the NBA Forum makes no sense whatsoever. One guy said Iggy should be amnestied (when we amnestied Elton Brand less than two weeks ago), another guy said he isn't a top 3 defender because he didn't make the 1st or 2nd team and no where near a top 5 SF.

These guys know NOTHING about Philly basketball nor do they know anything about Andre Iguodala.

NBAFan2012
07-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Oooh I get it. People are justifying Igoudala sucking by saying he is a defensive player? Or stopper? Interesting.

SeoulBeatz
07-17-2012, 11:13 PM

So I'm assuming your definition of "offense" is "scoring".

First off, he's the 2nd best passing SF in the league behind Lebron. He's averaged the 2nd most apg from the wing position over the last five years behind only Lebron. He hit 39% of his 3's last year (good for 5th among SF's) and well above the league average.

He is a prototypical 2nd/3rd option on any team.

Just because he doesn't score a lot, doesn't mean he has "no offensive game".

SeoulBeatz
07-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Oooh I get it. People are justifying Igoudala sucking by saying he is a defensive player? Or stopper? Interesting.

How in the world does he suck?

His two flaws are he can't shoot midrange jumpers consistently and he had a poor FT shooting year.

Other than that, he had the lowest opponent efficiency rating in the league last year, meaning, he is statistically the best man to man defender in the league.

He is one of the best rebounding SF's in the game.

He's the 2nd best passing SF behind Lebron.

He's the 2nd best defensive wing (once again, behind Lebron).

He's unselfish, he's an excellent playmaker that can handle the ball like a PG. He's extremely athletic.

He does everything you'd want out of a 2nd option.

And it's not like he's incapable of scoring.

He's had an 18, 6 and 6 year in '09 (23, 7, and 7 in the playoffs that year), and a 20, 5, and 5 year in '10.

He's playing his best basketball yet, and he is playing his role to the max.

It's clear that if you think Iggy is overrated, you just don't know **** about basketball.

And if you doubt he's arguably the best wing defender in the game, just watch him play. No one tips more passes or gets his hands on more loose balls than Iggy. He's just a nightmare on D, just read the latest comments Kobe, Coach K, and Colangelo said about Iggy during the Olympics. They know more about basketball than you or I and they all agree that Iggy is a VERY good player.

FriedTofuz
07-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Toronto will glady take his contract, but all they can offer is an expiring. That good enough?
wasnt joe johnsontraded for a buncha role players + bag of chips + salsa? THis expiring is one and done by the end of the year, it would save philly 30 mil over two years. They'd get a higher lottery pick and add to their core of holiday and turner ( dont know much more )

mdm692
07-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Don't ask don't tell. Let's hope Suns FO can make a trade for him with all the picks we have.

theLgndKllr35
07-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Don't ask don't tell. Let's hope Suns FO can make a trade for him with all the picks we have.

Unprotected 1st would definitely intrigue the Sixers, but no idea why the Suns would do it.

JasonJohnHorn
07-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Iggy is great. I don't know why any team would want to move him. Unless you are getting Durant or LBJ (in which is a no-brainer).

You put this guy in a system like the Spurs, and he'd be amazing. But Philly doesn't have a franchise player, so they likely see Iggy as their only trade asset that could get them one. If Brand had played like Clippers-Brand, this team would have been a contender, but instead he regressed and that left Iggy as the best player on the team, and as good as Iggy is, let's face it, if he is the best player on your team you are NOT winning a championship.

Iggy is awesome. The 76ers won't get anybody better than him back for him in a trade, but he is their best trade asset, hence, always on the block.

I feel bad for Iggy. I wish Philly would show him the kind of respect that Detroit shows Prince.

blastmasta26
07-18-2012, 12:03 AM
He's a Mavericks fan it would appear from his avatar.

But seriously, please tell me you didn't just site the NBA 1st and 2nd defensive teams as reasoning. :laugh:

There is one defender who is close to Iguodala's level defensively and it's Lebron. Everyone else is second tier.

Tony Allen and Avery Bradley?

mrblisterdundee
07-18-2012, 12:15 AM
They keep trying to trade Iggy because he's great trade bait, and because they have Thadeus Young, who will instantly get better when Iggy stops eating his minutes at the three.

mrblisterdundee
07-18-2012, 12:26 AM

1. LeBron James
2. Kevin Durant
3. Carmello Anthony
4. Andre Igoudala
4. Rudy Gay
5. Danny Granger of Luol Deng

It's very close after Carmello on who's the next best small forward, but Igoudala gets in the top five because he's the most versatile small forward in the league after James, when it comes to rebounding and passing. Of course, I like him better as a combo guard.

Iversonfan4life
07-18-2012, 12:28 AM
iggy for harden+whatever makes salaries work.

Swashcuff
07-18-2012, 12:30 AM
They keep trying to trade Iggy because he's great trade bait, and because they have Thadeus Young, who will instantly get better when Iggy stops eating his minutes at the three.

Young played the 4 exclusively last season and played the vast majority of his time at the 4 the previous season as well. Thad Young is what he is a player who is great at creating mismatches on the offensive end with other 4s but not big enough to guard them on D. He isn't very valuable at the 3 as he's a bit to slow to stay on them at that end of the floor.

Iggy isn't in Young's way he is believed to be in Turner's way as they both are redundant in some areas and are at their best when they are controlling the rock. Iggy's chemistry with Thad is great and he actually makes him better.

theLgndKllr35
07-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Iggy is great. I don't know why any team would want to move him. Unless you are getting Durant or LBJ (in which is a no-brainer).

You put this guy in a system like the Spurs, and he'd be amazing. But Philly doesn't have a franchise player, so they likely see Iggy as their only trade asset that could get them one. If Brand had played like Clippers-Brand, this team would have been a contender, but instead he regressed and that left Iggy as the best player on the team, and as good as Iggy is, let's face it, if he is the best player on your team you are NOT winning a championship.

Iggy is awesome. The 76ers won't get anybody better than him back for him in a trade, but he is their best trade asset, hence, always on the block.

I feel bad for Iggy. I wish Philly would show him the kind of respect that Detroit shows Prince.

He's definitely getting there, it's just taken a while for Iguodala himself to accept his role as a facilitator on a team where he is the best player. As he does, so do the fans. This was by far his best year in Philadelphia.

And whoever said Thad at the three doesn't watch Sixers basketball. He can play the three, but not well. If he gained weight and got taller, he would be a fantastic four. Right now, he'd be better suited gaining weight and just being a serviceable four. He gets manhandled on the defensive end constantly.

JayHunter
07-18-2012, 12:36 AM
He isn't a go to scorer

+pope+
07-18-2012, 04:12 AM
On behalf of the lakers we will trade u pau gasol for him

DitchDat
07-18-2012, 04:57 AM
No clue. He gives that team so much. If it helps net a STAR though, I would do it. You won't get over the hump with Iggy (aka mini LeBron - he does it all).

King41
07-18-2012, 10:12 AM
iggy is a damn nice player but sometimes he thinks to much about the other player he has to put a little bit more the ego motor on
but for a team with an star allready he is a great 2/3 option