PDA

View Full Version : Yao Ming

kobe4thewinbang
07-16-2012, 12:50 PM
I don't know much about his reasons for retiring, or the details about his injuries, so excuse me for seeming ignorant in asking this question.

In your opinion, did he quit too soon? How debilitating were his injuries? For instance, you see guys sticking around for a long time, despite nagging injuries, and even guys like Brandon Roy coming back.

He might have been "soft", but he still put up monster numbers.

kingsdelez24
07-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Guy broke his foot so many times and he got all of his strength from his lower body

Cfrey
07-16-2012, 12:52 PM
The difference between Brandon Roy and Yao Ming is about 12 inches and 100 pounds lol so that's why Yao had problems sticking around.

kobe4thewinbang
07-16-2012, 12:53 PM
How did he break his foot so many times?

StinkEye
07-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Yao's legs were like tree trunks, and his foot was often broken. He's retardedly big.

oak2455
07-16-2012, 12:55 PM

bad food:D

Hawkeye15
07-16-2012, 12:56 PM
why you are 7'5", 310 lbs, you can't play 12 months a year for 10 years. Bad things happen.

heyman321
07-16-2012, 12:57 PM
And Yao Ming wasn't soft if you're talking about playing style, he was the only center in the league who could post up.

Quite simply, a human that big takes so much pounding on your knees and feet. Every step he takes probably puts like 1000 newtons on his feet.

black1605
07-16-2012, 12:57 PM
He was too big for the game. When you are as big as he is, foot injuries are a death sentence. He would have dealt with foot issues the rest of his career. He made the right decision.

Laker Legend42
07-16-2012, 12:59 PM
His feet couldn't handle his body weight. All the running and jumping was too much. Dudes legs are like tree trunks.... Couple that with the bad food.lmao

kobe4thewinbang
07-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Haha. I see. Thanks for the answers, guys. He is a big dude, that's for sure.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-16-2012, 01:31 PM
It's a shame the guy had a great game. Had a nice touch, hit free throws.

brandt
07-16-2012, 01:36 PM
What a lot of people also seem to forget is that he played in China every year too, so it was non stop for him. Running up and down the court for 3 hours every day will take a toll on anyone that big. I'm surprised that he lasted as long as he did to be honest with you.

jam
07-16-2012, 01:49 PM
What a lot of people also seem to forget is that he played in China every year too, so it was non stop for him. Running up and down the court for 3 hours every day will take a toll on anyone that big. I'm surprised that he lasted as long as he did to be honest with you.

This. Yao never learned to say 'no,' esp. to the chinese national team, and this was his undoing.

Remember, Shaq played until he was nearly 40, and Shaq was closer to 400 lbs. than to 300 during the latter half of his laker career.

Chavacano
07-16-2012, 01:56 PM
In your opinion, did he quit too soon?

No. Should've retired sooner IMO.

CluTcH_c1tY
07-16-2012, 01:59 PM
I miss Yao, he would never pull of these girly rants like Howard is. Also he would destroy Dwight each and every time they played.

Hawkeye15
07-16-2012, 02:05 PM
I miss Yao, he would never pull of these girly rants like Howard is. Also he would destroy Dwight each and every time they played.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=mingya01&p2=howardw01

Yao did indeed eat Dwight alive.

heyman321
07-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Sad that Yao Ming was the last great center who could actually post up, shoot, and hit free throws. I miss him too.

goose14741
07-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Hes like a damn horse with a broken leg

Becks2307
07-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Yao could have been 7'0 and been the same player

Gritz
07-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Dog Meat

nacdaddy
07-16-2012, 02:29 PM

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=mingya01&p2=howardw01

Yao did indeed eat Dwight alive.

thats why it always made me mad that people always considered dwight the best center in the league. being the best and being the most athletic is two entirely different things. you will never see dwight come remotely close to the skill set that yao possessed, nobody that size in fact.

numbers dont lie and those numbers are ridiculously one sided. i could see why dwight wouldnt want to come to houston. hes scared and cant come close to filling in the shoes of yao.

aztr0
07-16-2012, 02:33 PM
He was over worked. He served two teams. His commitment to the Chinese national team along with NBA just took its toll. Sad he had to retire so early due to injuries, he was a good big man in the league.

Hawkeye15
07-16-2012, 02:44 PM
thats why it always made me mad that people always considered dwight the best center in the league. being the best and being the most athletic is two entirely different things. you will never see dwight come remotely close to the skill set that yao possessed, nobody that size in fact.

numbers dont lie and those numbers are ridiculously one sided. i could see why dwight wouldnt want to come to houston. hes scared and cant come close to filling in the shoes of yao.

head to heads is not the proper way to measure players, but looking back, it was very close to me. I always thought it was Dwight because rebounding and defense out of your center are the most important part to me, and I felt Dwight was totally superior to Ming in those categories. But it was evident that Ming was a much better team defender than I gave him credit for when he was gone for long periods of time. Houston's defense routinely gave up points in the paint with no Ming there. Him just being on the floor deterred the other team from attacking a lot. So I grew to appreciate Yao more when he wasn't there.

ccg34
07-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Dog Meat

Racist fool.

Hellcrooner
07-16-2012, 02:46 PM
he probably retired too late and injurys will botter him in his after basketball life ( check Bill Walton)

And well thats what happens with bigs, if they start getting injurys early , it will never end well.

Quick someone tell this piece of ancient wisdom to the lakers f.o!!!!

Hawkeye15
07-16-2012, 02:48 PM
he probably retired too late and injurys will botter him in his after basketball life ( check Bill Walton)

And well thats what happens with bigs, if they start getting injurys early , it will never end well.

Quick someone tell this piece of ancient wisdom to the lakers f.o!!!!

but Bynum's injuries were freak accidents!

Can't tell you how many times I have heard that. I don't care if he was hit by a car leaving the arena, fact is, it will now effect him going forward.

nacdaddy
07-16-2012, 02:49 PM
head to heads is not the proper way to measure players, but looking back, it was very close to me. I always thought it was Dwight because rebounding and defense out of your center are the most important part to me, and I felt Dwight was totally superior to Ming in those categories. But it was evident that Ming was a much better team defender than I gave him credit for when he was gone for long periods of time. Houston's defense routinely gave up points in the paint with no Ming there. Him just being on the floor deterred the other team from attacking a lot. So I grew to appreciate Yao more when he wasn't there.

im glad you saw that cause a lot of people dont understand how effective he was when in the middle clogging up everything. its only pure logic that a man 7'6 is just not as agile and athletic as dwight to actually move his feet to get into position to actually block a shot. yet he slid into good enough position to deter anybody from an easy layup.

Hawkeye15
07-16-2012, 02:51 PM
im glad you saw that cause a lot of people dont understand how effective he was when in the middle clogging up everything. its only pure logic that a man 7'6 is just not as agile and athletic as dwight to actually move his feet to get into position to actually block a shot. yet he slid into good enough position to deter anybody from an easy layup.

while I am not really a Rockets fan per say, I have lived in Houston a long time, and all my friends are Rockets fans. So I watch 40-50 games a year, probably attend 10 or so. It became obvious with him off the floor the other teams gameplan changed quickly, even when Mutumbo was his backup.

ccg34
07-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Although I loved watching Yao play, I think he made the right choice. He already has the money. There is no need to jeopardize your health every season. There is more to life than basketball.

Blitzbolt
07-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Although I loved watching Yao play, I think he made the right choice. He already has the money. There is no need to jeopardize your health every season. There is more to life than basketball.

This^ it was fun to see himm play but he made the right choice.

rhino17
07-16-2012, 03:50 PM

How did he retire too late? He attempted one comeback after his major injury, it didn't work out, and he retired. He pretty much did everything right

I Rock Shaqs
07-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Lmao @ the OP saying he was soft, just because he isn't black with dread locks or an afro, and talks crap doesn't mean your soft.

nickdymez
07-16-2012, 04:22 PM

Playing basketball

Hawkeye15
07-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Playing basketball

:laugh2:

John Walls Era
07-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Not that it would've changed his legacy, but he could've gotten a ring by signing the vet min to play with the Heat or something. Not sure he has that in him, he seemed a bit too loyal to the Rockets.

KingPosey
07-16-2012, 06:20 PM
And Yao Ming wasn't soft if you're talking about playing style, he was the only center in the league who could post up.

Quite simply, a human that big takes so much pounding on your knees and feet. Every step he takes probably puts like 1000 newtons on his feet.

not true.

Chavacano
07-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Playing basketball

:worthy:

absolute zero
07-16-2012, 11:03 PM
He should come out of retirement so that I can use him again in NBA 2k. LOL

brandt
07-17-2012, 12:03 AM
Not that it would've changed his legacy, but he could've gotten a ring by signing the vet min to play with the Heat or something. Not sure he has that in him, he seemed a bit too loyal to the Rockets.

He had just as much of a chance to get a ring with the Rockets when they had Ming, Artest, and Tmac. Not sure if you remember the 7 game series against the Lakers that would have put them in the finals if they had won the 7th game, But they did it without Ming and Tmac.

IronMan21
07-17-2012, 12:14 AM
would he be interested in Miami, if he does decide to come back, would he want to go back to the Rockets to play with Lin.

JasonJohnHorn
07-17-2012, 11:06 PM
why you are 7'5", 310 lbs, you can't play 12 months a year for 10 years. Bad things happen.

If you are Yao, you can't even play 10 months for one year without something happening... lol

It is frustrating to see somebody gifted leave the game at such a young age. Who knows, maybe with Lin on the Rockets he will be inspired to come out of retirement and give it one more go.

In all honesty though, Yao wasn't as talented as he was gifted. If he had the same game at 7'0 or 6'10 instead of 7'5, he likely would have been riding the pine if he was even in the league at all.

That said, not all guys that size are even physically able to do anything remotely athletic, but yeah, like I said, Yao was more gifted than he was talented. Still... would really like to see him an Lin on the court in the same jersey at the same time.

rhino17
07-17-2012, 11:12 PM
If you are Yao, you can't even play 10 months for one year without something happening... lol

It is frustrating to see somebody gifted leave the game at such a young age. Who knows, maybe with Lin on the Rockets he will be inspired to come out of retirement and give it one more go.

In all honesty though, Yao wasn't as talented as he was gifted. If he had the same game at 7'0 or 6'10 instead of 7'5, he likely would have been riding the pine if he was even in the league at all.

That said, not all guys that size are even physically able to do anything remotely athletic, but yeah, like I said, Yao was more gifted than he was talented. Still... would really like to see him an Lin on the court in the same jersey at the same time.

Are you joking?

Yao would have been better off being 7'0. Saying he was not talented is asinine considering he was the most offensively skilled big man in the NBA for nearly a decade. He had a softer touch than any big man in the game. He was also arguably the best man to man defensive center in the league during his time and anchored one of the better defensive teams of the decade.

xILLN355
07-17-2012, 11:32 PM
This. Yao never learned to say 'no,' esp. to the chinese national team, and this was his undoing.

Remember, Shaq played until he was nearly 40, and Shaq was closer to 400 lbs. than to 300 during the latter half of his laker career.

shaq never trained after season ended basically until training camp lol