PDA

View Full Version : Have the Rockets had one of the worst offseasons ever?

NYSpirit1
07-15-2012, 01:57 PM
The Rockets are on the verge of acquiring Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik for a combined 50.2 million over the next 3 years. They'll be paying BOTH max money in 2014-15.

Omer Asik, the backup 3 PPG scorer on the Bulls. And Jeremy Lin, who is more justified for that contract, should never be near it.

They traded Lowry, let Dragic go and cut Scola, thinking Dwight Howard will want to play alongside the max contract Lin and Asik.

What a terrible offseason, Morey is almost as bad as Otis Smith was on the Magic - just absolutely terrible to hand out these contracts.

Meanwhile, the whole pursuit of Howard is at the basis of Howard not wanting to stay there and them losing him in a year.

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Um, I think they're going all out to get a guy by the name of Dwight Howard??? :shrug:

koetravis
07-15-2012, 01:59 PM
I feel like you're a little bit mad?

jetsfan28
07-15-2012, 02:00 PM
If this season were the last season in NBA history, then yes. But they got assets for the future.

JeffG20
07-15-2012, 02:00 PM
it seems like you have made this thread a couple of days ago.

LionsFan..LOL
07-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Pistons signing Ben Gordon and Charlie "Fat waste of space" Villanueva is worse imo

Avenged
07-15-2012, 02:02 PM
No.. I thought Lin was so good? Come on Knick fan...

Raps18-19 Champ
07-15-2012, 02:03 PM
:laugh2:

It's been like 4 ****ing days into FA.

IndyRealist
07-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Even if the Rockets go into the luxury tax, it'll only be for one year. The Knicks (and Bulls) would be repeaters.

b@llhog24
07-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Lin
Lamb
Parsons
White
D-mo

can all develop into starting quality players in about 2-3 years, while they continue to pick up high draft picks. Sure they aren't contenders now, guess what they weren't contenders last year. At least now they have some youth and have finally decided to tank.

thekmp211
07-15-2012, 02:06 PM
what in the ...

AllBall
07-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Absolutely not. They have plenty of flexibility. People assume players will live out the life of their contracts the entire time with the same team. Those players can be moved. And if Joe Johnson, Rashard Lewis and Gilber Arenas have shown us anything is that there isn't an untradeable contract.

jetsfan28
07-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Pistons signing Ben Gordon and Charlie "Fat waste of space" Villanueva is worse imo

Unless I'm mixing my years up, they didn't even have the worst offseason that year. Wasn't that the year Phoenix signed Childress and Warrick, traded for Carter and J-Rich (bad contracts, although that might be unfair since they got Gortat), resigned Frye for too much, and traded Dragic for Aaron Brooks?

richardle9
07-15-2012, 02:08 PM
u mad?

WhiteSoxGod
07-15-2012, 02:09 PM
have to revise I undersold us...... it will be back lol.

Shareeb_omac2
07-15-2012, 02:11 PM
I think the New York Knicks have had the worst offseason. They lost two young players with potential(Landry Feilds and Jeremy Lin) and replaced them with older players that at this point are less talented.

KniCks4LiFe
Rockets are getting Lin and we're starting over w/ Felton and ppl over 28.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/47791/felton-over-lin-are-the-knicks-lin-sane

No one can say they had the worst offseason.

LionsFan..LOL
Unless I'm mixing my years up, they didn't even have the worst offseason that year. Wasn't that the year Phoenix signed Childress and Warrick, traded for Carter and J-Rich (bad contracts, although that might be unfair since they got Gortat), resigned Frye for too much, and traded Dragic for Aaron Brooks?

I'm pretty sure Phoenix made those moves in 2010. The BG/CV were 2009. I remember being a senior in high school when the Pistons made the Iverson trade and that was 2009, freeing up cap space for Gordon and Villanueva.

UPRock
07-15-2012, 02:12 PM
This guy always make stupid threads.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-15-2012, 02:13 PM
LOL it's so funny how ABSOLUTELY WRONG you are. Do you research anything before you post or do you just go around saying things. You must be the pride of your fan base.

LET ME EXPLAIN FOR THE 100TH TIME!!!:

The Rockets will not have to pay Asik and Lin the max. They offered them offer-sheets meaning they pay the AVERAGE OF THE CONTRACT NOT THE ACTUAL AMOUNT!
This means they will pay Lin and Asik $8 million not $15 million.

Okay so since you're entire theory predicates this first you do realize your ENTIRE post is non-sensical and useless. I'm not even going to mention the fact the Rockets are $41 million UNDER the cap and with Asik and Lin they are $29 million UNDER the cap.

That's with Kevin Martin's $12 million expiring contract still on the books and they will trade that before the end of the season. This means they can sign 2 MAX deals next offseason and still be under the cap by $4 million.

They also have 7 1st rd picks on their roster selected in the past 3 years and 4 more 1st rd picks (and 4 2nd rd picks) over the course of the next 2 years.

Morey is a smart man plus I'd take Lin over Raymond "The Hamburgler" Felton any day lol.

So they can basically dictate what and how the Knicks pay Lin, and at the same time pay him a much more fair amount?

I wont pretend to understand the entire CBA, but that seems like a really weird part of it.

jetsfan28
07-15-2012, 02:13 PM
I'm pretty sure Phoenix made those moves in 2010. The BG/CV were 2009.

Ah, you're right. I thought Pistons was also 2010 (although the fact that it was 2009 makes it even worse since no one else had cap room that year, so they had no competition for guys).

Interesting, 2010 Suns or 2009 Pistons, not sure which is worse. Leaning towards the Suns, but I could definitely see the argument for the Pistons.

SpaceJamJordans
07-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Does anybody find certain NY fans on PSD annoying?

WhiteSoxGod
07-15-2012, 02:15 PM
The Rockets are on the verge of acquiring Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik for a combined 50.2 million over the next 3 years. They'll be paying BOTH max money in 2014-15.

Omer Asik, the backup 3 PPG scorer on the Bulls. And Jeremy Lin, who is more justified for that contract, should never be near it.

They traded Lowry, let Dragic go and cut Scola, thinking Dwight Howard will want to play alongside the max contract Lin and Asik.

What a terrible offseason, Morey is almost as bad as Otis Smith was on the Magic - just absolutely terrible to hand out these contracts.

Meanwhile, the whole pursuit of Howard is at the basis of Howard not wanting to stay there and them losing him in a year.

HAD TO REVISE THIS SO LETS GO 1 MORE TIME HA HA:

LOL it's so funny how ABSOLUTELY WRONG you are. Do you research anything before you post or do you just go around saying things. You must be the pride of your fan base.

LET ME EXPLAIN FOR THE 100TH TIME!!!:

The Rockets will not have to pay Asik and Lin the max. They offered them offer-sheets meaning they pay the AVERAGE OF THE CONTRACT NOT THE ACTUAL AMOUNT!
This means they will pay Lin and Asik $8 million not $15 million.

Okay so since you're entire theory predicates this first you do realize your ENTIRE post is non-sensical and useless. I'm not even going to mention the fact the Rockets are $41 million UNDER the cap and with Asik and Lin they are $29 million UNDER the cap.

That's with Kevin Martin's $12 million expiring contract still on the books and they will trade that before the end of the season. This means they can sign 2 MAX deals next offseason and still be under the cap by $4 million.

They also have 7 1st rd picks on their roster selected in the past 3 years and 4 more 1st rd picks (and 4 2nd rd picks) over the course of the next 2 years.

Morey is a smart man plus I'd take Lin over Raymond "The Hamburgler" Felton any day lol.

torocan
07-15-2012, 02:15 PM
It's WAY too early to say.

Too many pieces/moves in play for Houston.

Dwight, Bynum, Lin is still in play until deadline, etc.

So, we'll see how it goes.

JeffG20
07-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Does anybody find certain NY fans on PSD annoying?

every team has those guys..... this one is just annoying because he never post in any threads he starts

WhiteSoxGod
07-15-2012, 02:17 PM
So they can basically dictate what and how the Knicks pay Lin, and at the same time pay him a much more fair amount?

I wont pretend to understand the entire CBA, but that seems like a really weird part of it.

It's a provision in the CBA about offer sheets. The team that offers the offer sheet gets to average the salary. The original team has to pay the salary year to year. So in the 1st 2 years it costs the Knicks slightly over 5 million then $15 million in the 3rd year. The Rockets only have to pay the average which is $8 million per year. That's how it works.

Hawkeye15
07-15-2012, 02:17 PM
They had no choice but to go for gold or start over. If the end result is they have Lin/Asik, and they keep their picks and 4 rookies, they will take a step back, for sure, but it may better them in the long run.

Hell, I am not so sure getting Dwight doesn't just set them back further after a mini-playoff run this season, if he leaves.

Hawkeye15
07-15-2012, 02:18 PM
If they end up with Bynum and him extending, then it will be a rebuild on the fly, and they can be back in the playoffs as quickly as 2014 if they make the right moves.

chrism8188
07-15-2012, 02:18 PM
not even close, ppl can be moved, both those guys done get paid big till the third year, plus we got lots of assets even tho we are bloated at PF. still too early as well, plenty of time to do things

AWC713
07-15-2012, 02:19 PM
way too early to tell. if dwight goes to LA, and j smoove and another star go elsewhere, than yes.

the rockets are waiting for the lin and asik offers to be signed/ rejected to continue trading with the magic--for cap reasons obviously.

and it really doesnt matter that they're paying both players 14 mil in the last year. they're paying both 5 mil for the first two years, so the money is still reasonable. plus, those contracts become valuable in the last year because both are expiring deals.

the rockets have a lot of valuable young assets. watching their team during summer league shows why they let certain players walk. keep in mind they got a first round pick for lowry, so its not like they just let him walk.

AWC713
07-15-2012, 02:20 PM
also--keeping scola, camby, lee, etc. wasnt getting this team anywhere, realistically. yes, they were all good players. yes, they will play very good minutes for another team. but the rockets front office is making the right decision

oak2455
07-15-2012, 02:23 PM
every team has those guys..... this one is just annoying because he never post in any threads he starts

I think he's a robot

KnicksR4Real
07-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Not at all they got a bunch of people mad. (Clearly). They have nice young assets as well .. The only thing I question is asik signing

jayjay33
07-15-2012, 02:49 PM

U mad? :laugh:

WhiteSoxGod
07-15-2012, 02:50 PM

No, just stupid.

John Walls Era
07-15-2012, 02:50 PM

Of course hes mad.

Regarding the thread: No. Its "what have you done for me now" thinking. The short sighted idiots would think this though.

Sportfan
07-15-2012, 02:52 PM
they are a winner. got a huge marketing product in Lin. ****ed the bulls over with Asik (rumor is they will match) Got a lotto pick for Sammy D. Future picks in trades, hopefully get another first from Boston for Courtney Lee. Picked up 3 quality roookies in Lamb,White, and Jones to go along with Motiejunas. I hope they don't get Howard cause they got a nice young core going on there.

gatkins11
07-15-2012, 03:13 PM
they are a winner. got a huge marketing product in Lin. ****ed the bulls over with Asik (rumor is they will match) Got a lotto pick for Sammy D. Future picks in trades, hopefully get another first from Boston for Courtney Lee. Picked up 3 quality roookies in Lamb,White, and Jones to go along with Motiejunas. I hope they don't get Howard cause they got a nice young core going on there.

Bingo.

bootleg42
07-15-2012, 03:18 PM

I agree. The Houston Rockets will have no star wanting to go there, and they're going to overspend for mediocre players, ala the Kansas City Royals of baseball.

They'll be 10th-11th seed every year for the next decade. They're dumb.

Instead of trying to do it the OKC way, they do the dumbest things ever.

Odominator
07-15-2012, 03:19 PM

I agree with this. Other than marketing, Lin is a phenomenal players. Honeslty dont think that you can fluke however many straight games he had over 30 points. He will probably come into his own as he develops a bigger and stronger NBA body in the next few years.

Also, their draft picks will help solidfy their future. Asik is an ok signing. This tewam is set up to be successful and if they land Dwight, then they will be extremely dangerous.

Angry Norwegian
07-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Knicks fans, I really want to root for your team. So can you please relax with these types of posts? Why is it not enough to just want your team to succeed? Do you really need everyone's "respect" and to constantly whine about other teams?

lakerboy
07-15-2012, 03:34 PM
They're New York Knicks 2.0

WhiteSoxGod
07-15-2012, 03:34 PM
I agree. The Houston Rockets will have no star wanting to go there, and they're going to overspend for mediocre players, ala the Kansas City Royals of baseball.

They'll be 10th-11th seed every year for the next decade. They're dumb.

Instead of trying to do it the OKC way, they do the dumbest things ever.

Oh you mean by having several picks in the top 10?

Just so you know Rockets own Raptors pick (ONLY top 2 protected) and a plethora of other 1st rd picks. ALSO if they do suck this season they would have their own pick that could be in the top 3. Hmm sounds like the exact thing that OKC did.

Plus we have the ability to sign 2 MAX deals next year. Ignorance is the disease and I am the cure.

Cfrey
07-15-2012, 03:39 PM
knicks fans, most of you guys are already bad enough but this guy takes you all to a whole nother level:facepalm:

bearadonisdna
07-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Even if the Rockets go into the luxury tax, it'll only be for one year. The Knicks (and Bulls) would be repeaters.

Bulls would NOT be repeaters. They have never been in the luxury tax.

bearadonisdna
07-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Not at all they got a bunch of people mad. (Clearly). They have nice young assets as well .. The only thing I question is asik signing

What Asik signing? Asik hasnt signed anything yet from Houston.

Chronz
07-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Its been a great off season, I just hope they trade for Dwight to make it complete

torocan
07-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Personally, I think the Rockets are in a win/win/win position.

If the Knicks match the Rockets get $8M in cap back, and gets $1M back in year 3 from luxury tax distribution. And they go on their merry way.

1) Lin signs, Asik/Howard do not sign

Young franchise PG, with lots of cap space, tons of picks, and loads of young players (including several Bench players from the Knicks) to Rebuild. Surrounded with minimal talent, he'll get a pass during the rebuilding process, just like Deron, Drue, etc.

2) Lin signs, Asik signs, Howard does not sign with/without Bynum.

Young franchise PG, decent Big, lots of cap space, tons of picks, and loads of young players (bench players from knicks), and can possibly get into the playoffs in 7th or 8th seed. Will get a partial pass while they assemble pieces.

3) Lin signs, Asik signs/does not sign, Howard signs.

Biggest media splash in the NBA. Linsanity + Dwight drama. Sell outs, mid level playoff contender. Lose most of their picks and young players, but now are in a position to add a few pieces to make build a serious playoff contender. Lin will be expected to perform, but it's ALOT easier with Howard on the team.

All in all, with Lin on board, they win in almost every category. Lin is better than NO PG by far, and may or may not be similar/worse/better than Dragic. Lowry isn't a factor since everyone knew he was going.

No matter how you look at it, it's nothing but UP for the Rockets.

Definitely a winning off season... just a question of HOW big a win it is.

bearadonisdna
07-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Personally, I think the Rockets are in a win/win/win position.

If the Knicks match the Rockets get $8M in cap back, and gets $1M back in year 3 from luxury tax distribution. And they go on their merry way.

1) Lin signs, Asik/Howard do not sign

Young franchise PG, with lots of cap space, tons of picks, and loads of young players (including several Bench players from the Knicks) to Rebuild. Surrounded with minimal talent, he'll get a pass during the rebuilding process, just like Deron, Drue, etc.

2) Lin signs, Asik signs, Howard does not sign with/without Bynum.

Young franchise PG, decent Big, lots of cap space, tons of picks, and loads of young players (bench players from knicks), and can possibly get into the playoffs in 7th or 8th seed. Will get a partial pass while they assemble pieces.

3) Lin signs, Asik signs/does not sign, Howard signs.

Biggest media splash in the NBA. Linsanity + Dwight drama. Sell outs, mid level playoff contender. Lose most of their picks and young players, but now are in a position to add a few pieces to make build a serious playoff contender. Lin will be expected to perform, but it's ALOT easier with Howard on the team.

All in all, with Lin on board, they win in almost every category. Lin is better than NO PG by far, and may or may not be similar/worse/better than Dragic. Lowry isn't a factor since everyone knew he was going.

No matter how you look at it, it's nothing but UP for the Rockets.

Definitely a winning off season... just a question of HOW big a win it is.

I like the positivity.

torocan
07-15-2012, 04:02 PM
I like the positivity.

Not positivity.

Candidly, every time I think of Lin in a Houston jersey I throw up a little... but the facts are the facts...

DoubleDragon
07-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Um, I think they're going all out to get a guy by the name of Dwight Howard??? :shrug:

At this point, they BETTER. They're "all-in" it would seem. If they don't get D12 or Bynum, ouch...

Those are some quality players to oust (like Scola, Lowry, Dragic) to take back 50+ million in contracts for those new additions. A lot of Rocket fans are gonna march on Toyota Center like a lynch mob:speechless: I'm sure their FO isn't that stupid. They've GOT to have a plan C...right?

WhiteSoxGod
07-15-2012, 04:14 PM
At this point, they BETTER. They're "all-in" it would seem. If they don't get D12 or Bynum, ouch...

Those are some quality players to oust (like Scola, Lowry, Dragic) to take back 50+ million in contracts for those new additions. A lot of Rocket fans are gonna march on Toyota Center like a lynch mob:speechless: I'm sure their FO isn't that stupid. They've GOT to have a plan C...right?

I think plan c would be to develop and draft talent like OKC did.

alexander_37
07-15-2012, 05:03 PM
The funny thing is the Rockets are paying Lin yes. The Knicks TRADED for Felton lmao.

brandt
07-15-2012, 05:18 PM
As a Rockets fan, it means a lot to see that most people that posted on this thread disagree with the nimrod that started it. I'm so used to seeing a title like this, and expecting everyone to bash the Rockets like every other 5 threads a day that i see about them. I won't lie, I'm not exactly pleased with some of the moves the Rockets have made as of late, but anything can happen. If this guy isn't a Rockets fan which I'm pretty sure he isn't, then why does he even give a crap if the Rockets have had the worst off season or not. I think he was just hoping that there would be more haters on this thread than there really are. As a lot of people on this site have already stated, it's way to early to make that call. Thanks for being real guys! Peace.

Lake_Show2416
07-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Rockets r trying to do something big & if everything goes wrong the Rockets r in position to rebuild instead of staying in the middle of the pack year in & year out, unlike the terrible off seasons in the past by the Knicks who sign pure garbage for huge amounts of money & mortgage their future constantly, Lin will make the Rockets so much money since he has a billion ppl behind him

cssdmark
07-15-2012, 05:24 PM
I think they are right in line for next years number 1 pick.

JayHunter
07-15-2012, 05:27 PM
someone will be getting fired

knicks=love
07-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Rockets r trying to do something big & if everything goes wrong the Rockets r in position to rebuild instead of staying in the middle of the pack year in & year out, unlike the terrible off seasons in the past by the Knicks who sign pure garbage for huge amounts of money & mortgage their future constantly, Lin will make the Rockets so much money since he has a billion ppl behind him

i remember when i was 9 and talked like this.

jp611
07-15-2012, 06:51 PM
How can you have one of the worst offseasons ever before the offseason is even over? They still could sign and Lin and trade for Dwight Howard, I'd consider that a successful offseason

Lake_Show2416
07-15-2012, 06:58 PM
i remember when i was 9 and talked like this.

u sound like a sad bitter 9 year old that just heard the truth about their pathetic teams history :cry: it'll be alright...

Bornknick73
07-15-2012, 07:04 PM
So now the facts are: Lin's a franchise PG?

Aust
07-15-2012, 07:07 PM
They could have one of the worst offseasons of the year if they don't get Bynum or Howard

AllBall
07-15-2012, 07:11 PM

Wasn't this what Knicks fans where claiming all up into this morning when the Felton news broke?

That fanbase flip flops like a politician. :laugh2:

Matrix3132
07-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Wasn't this what Knicks fans where claiming all up into this morning when the Felton news broke?

That fanbase flip flops like a politician. :laugh2:

Knick fans are raving about Felton being better than Lin now:facepalm:

Cracka2HI!
07-15-2012, 07:13 PM
If the Rockets come away empty handed they will have had a horrible offseason. No matter what Orlando will have the worst offseason. Unless they find some big trade none of us have heard about they won't be nearly as much as they could have if they had already traded him.

As for one of the worst offseasons ever. NO. LOL coming from a Knicks fan. Remember Isiah Thomas? I'd say the Eddy Curry year was probably the worst ever, but the Jerome James and Jarred Jeffries Full MLE years were worse than the Rockets offseason has been so far. If the question was one of the worst? I'd have to answer yes.

mightybosstone
07-15-2012, 07:19 PM
The OP is clearly an idiot. If the Rockets don't get Dwight, then they have a nice young core and as many as three first round picks next season. If they do get Dwight, they could end up with a team of Lin, Lee, Parsons, Patterson/Motiejunas/Jones and Dwight. That's not bad at all, and it's better than the team they had at the end of last season.

TwoBit
07-15-2012, 07:20 PM
They're rebuilding. They've been in mediocrity for a couple seasons now. They need to do something different to get better.. the Lowry trade was awful though. And all the pieces they offered for Dwight. They have a lot of talent just not enough proven players and way too many pf

Hoopin&Swoopin
07-15-2012, 07:24 PM
The OP is clearly an idiot. If the Rockets don't get Dwight, then they have a nice young core and as many as three first round picks next season. If they do get Dwight, they could end up with a team of Lin, Lee, Parsons, Patterson/Motiejunas/Jones and Dwight. That's not bad at all, and it's better than the team they had at the end of last season.

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with stockpiling young players/trade assets. Plus no one should ever sleep on Morey.

rockbottom2010
07-15-2012, 07:30 PM
smart why....once lin and asik's contracts are up...they can go after kevin love...hes a free agent in 2015

knicks=love
07-15-2012, 08:34 PM
u sound like a sad bitter 9 year old that just heard the truth about their pathetic teams history :cry: it'll be alright...

history is history for a reason. i don't live in the past

FOBolous
07-15-2012, 08:50 PM
the knicks lost two young players with potential and replaced them with two dinosaurs. you tell me who had the worse season.

justinnum1
07-15-2012, 09:00 PM
the knicks lost two young players with potential and replaced them with two dinosaurs. you tell me who had the worse season.

lol

na, its all good. once the put that knick jersey on they will be elite

FOBolous
07-15-2012, 09:14 PM

more "franchise" than Raymond Felton.

but in all honestly, NO ONE KNOWS HOW GOOD OR BAD LIN WILL BE. What we DO know is that he put up a historical 25 games stretch. We also know that it's just 25 games. I'd like to think he will grown into a star one day because...

1. he's young
2. he has good size for his position
3. he's hardworking
4. he's smart
5. he experienced success at every level of basketball he played at

but in the end, debating about whether he's overhyped or not is dumb because neither side has enough evidence to support their claim...all they have is their gut feelings.

rockets-fan
07-15-2012, 09:23 PM
more "franchise" than Raymond Felton.

but in all honestly, NO ONE KNOWS HOW GOOD OR BAD LIN WILL BE. What we DO know is that he put up a historical 25 games stretch. We also know that it's just 25 games. I'd like to think he will grown into a star one day because...

1. he's young
2. he has good size for his position
3. he's hardworking
4. he's smart
5. he experienced success at every level of basketball he played at

but in the end, debating about whether he's overhyped or not is dumb because neither side has enough evidence to support their claim...all they have is their gut feelings.

Very very well put.

PlezPlayDKnicks
07-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Very very well put.

Knicks fans can't say this or they are homers. And the op never comments after he creates these threads. He does NOT represent us as a fan base

WhiteSoxGod
07-15-2012, 11:54 PM
Like I said even with JEREMY LIN & OMER ASIK the Rockets are $29 million UNDER the cap. They can still go and sign 2 max deals next summer because that includes Kevin Martin's $12 MILLION expiring deal.

So here is what the Rockets have:

1. 4 1st round picks and 4 2nd rd picks in the next 2 drafts
2. $41 Million in cap space ($29 million with Asik & Lin)
3. 7 players that were 1st round picks in the previous 3 years on the roster
4. Ability to sign 2 Max deals (3 MAX deals if they don't get Lin/Asik & rid themselves of Martin)

Many teams would kill to have those assets and the ability to do anything they want.

Young2Kinsler
07-16-2012, 12:19 AM
I would put the Knicks as the worst way before Houston.

NBAFANATIC136
07-16-2012, 12:28 AM
You ever saw the summer of 2009 pistons......

Sssmush
07-16-2012, 12:32 AM
Not as bad as Orlando.

Orlando is having one for the ages.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-16-2012, 12:32 AM
Like I said even with JEREMY LIN & OMER ASIK the Rockets are $29 million UNDER the cap. They can still go and sign 2 max deals next summer because that includes Kevin Martin's $12 MILLION expiring deal.

So here is what the Rockets have:

1. 4 1st round picks and 4 2nd rd picks in the next 2 drafts
2. $41 Million in cap space ($29 million with Asik & Lin)
3. 7 players that were 1st round picks in the previous 3 years on the roster
4. Ability to sign 2 Max deals (3 MAX deals if they don't get Lin/Asik & rid themselves of Martin)

Many teams would kill to have those assets and the ability to do anything they want.

Wow. I was looking for this sort of breakdown of their assets. The off-season is FAR from over. Patience guys, time will tell.

utl768
07-16-2012, 12:33 AM
rockets are having a very good offseason imo

stole lin from the knicks

cssdmark
07-16-2012, 12:50 AM

There is a difference between making alot of money and winning. Ownership wants to make alot of money, the fans want to win. The key is winning and making alot of money like the 3rd best sports franchise in history, the Lakers they do both. Oh in case you did not know the NEW YORK Yankees are first and the Celtics are second since both have more titles. Show time is not back in LA unless you are telling me Magic is your point guard it will be more like old time.

TylerSL
07-16-2012, 02:49 AM
actually, if you think about it, its quite clever. Lets start with Lin. First off, he is only going to get better and they only have to pay him 5 million for the next 2 years. Thats more bang for their bucks for the first 2 years. Lin's market value is around 7-8 million/year as is right now. By the time he enters his 3rd year it very well could be 11-12 million/year. While him making 15 million in his 3rd year would be overpaying for him, they almost brake even with production, and make a ton of money off of his popularity for 3 years.

Next is Asik, you talk about him averaging 3 ppg as you're arguement. In his 2 seasons with Chicago (aka his NBA career), he has averaged 8.0 points, 12.0 rebounds, and 2.3 blocks/36 minutes. Pretty decent numbers, especially considering the fact good centers in todays league are few and far between. His market value should be around 6-7 million due to him being an effective center. He will make 5 million the first 2 years, again thats more bang for their bucks. However, he most likely wont progress like Lin. So in his final year, he might very well make 2 times what he is worth. However, that may not be too bad of a thing considering.

Between both Lin and Asik, after the 2014-2015 season concludes, that will give Houston 30 million dollars to work with between those 2 players alone. Thats enough for almost 2 max contracts. Not only did they do all of this, but they put a strangle on the Knicks and Bulls balls so tight by backloading the contracts. Chicago will have $50 million invested in 3 players (Rose, Noah, and Boozer) in 2014-2015. The Knicks, will have $61.5 million on 3 players (Melo, Amare, and Chandler) in 2014-2015. Houston, in the same move, has also made it financially impossible for these teams to match.

However, there is 1 wedge in their plan. And that wedge is Dwight Howard. For them to get him, they have to trade for him now. Their plan is to surround him with talent after 2014-2015 by shoring up 30 million on 2 players (Lin and Asik). They have to trade for him now, because Orlando is going to trade him this year, and the Rockets cant risk allowing him to sign an extention elsewhere. It will be difficult to both trade for him, and convice him to stay all in one swoop.

My guess, Morey hopes to propose this plan to Dwight, and hopes he gets on board. Very very risky, especially by putting his faith in Dwight. But the only way to succeed in buisiness, is to take risks.

naps
07-16-2012, 03:21 AM
NO.

If Rockets lands Dwight they will be the winner even if Dwight leaves. They can sign and trade Dwight if he wants to leave next year and get plenty of young assets in return.

And it's pretty funny how Knicks fans are now saying Lin is nothing special when they basically made him seem like the second coming of Michael Jordan. Not to mention this OP makes the worst of threads.

Screwton713Fan
07-16-2012, 03:24 AM
I like the positivity.

I absolutely agree:clap:

WhiteSoxGod
07-16-2012, 03:24 AM
Wow. I was looking for this sort of breakdown of their assets. The off-season is FAR from over. Patience guys, time will tell.

Yeah The Rockets are set up/. They are taking calculated risks which isn't surprising for a mathematics guy like Morey.

actually, if you think about it, its quite clever. Lets start with Lin. First off, he is only going to get better and they only have to pay him 5 million for the next 2 years. Thats more bang for their bucks for the first 2 years. Lin's market value is around 7-8 million/year as is right now. By the time he enters his 3rd year it very well could be 11-12 million/year. While him making 15 million in his 3rd year would be overpaying for him, they almost brake even with production, and make a ton of money off of his popularity for 3 years.

Next is Asik, you talk about him averaging 3 ppg as you're arguement. In his 2 seasons with Chicago (aka his NBA career), he has averaged 8.0 points, 12.0 rebounds, and 2.3 blocks/36 minutes. Pretty decent numbers, especially considering the fact good centers in todays league are few and far between. His market value should be around 6-7 million due to him being an effective center. He will make 5 million the first 2 years, again thats more bang for their bucks. However, he most likely wont progress like Lin. So in his final year, he might very well make 2 times what he is worth. However, that may not be too bad of a thing considering.

Between both Lin and Asik, after the 2014-2015 season concludes, that will give Houston 30 million dollars to work with between those 2 players alone. Thats enough for almost 2 max contracts. Not only did they do all of this, but they put a strangle on the Knicks and Bulls balls so tight by backloading the contracts. Chicago will have $50 million invested in 3 players (Rose, Noah, and Boozer) in 2014-2015. The Knicks, will have $61.5 million on 3 players (Melo, Amare, and Chandler) in 2014-2015. Houston, in the same move, has also made it financially impossible for these teams to match.

However, there is 1 wedge in their plan. And that wedge is Dwight Howard. For them to get him, they have to trade for him now. Their plan is to surround him with talent after 2014-2015 by shoring up 30 million on 2 players (Lin and Asik). They have to trade for him now, because Orlando is going to trade him this year, and the Rockets cant risk allowing him to sign an extention elsewhere. It will be difficult to both trade for him, and convice him to stay all in one swoop.

My guess, Morey hopes to propose this plan to Dwight, and hopes he gets on board. Very very risky, especially by putting his faith in Dwight. But the only way to succeed in buisiness, is to take risks.

Oh my gosh I think I'm going to lose my freaking mind!!!!! :facepalm: I think there should be an exam on the NBA CBA before people can post in the NBA forum.

Let me explain this before one more ****ing person says something stupid and asinine. Here is how the contracts play out for the Rockets:

Jeremy Lin 3 years, $25.025 Million: $8.34 million in EVERY SINGLE YEAR as it's an average of the 3 years THEY WON'T HAVE TO PAY HIM $15 MILLION IN THE 3RD YEAR ONLY $8.34 MILLION

Omer Asik 3 years, $25.025 Million: $8.34 million in EVERY SINGLE YEAR as it's an average of the 3 years THEY WON'T HAVE TO PAY HIM $15 MILLION IN THE 3RD YEAR ONLY $8.34 MILLION

YES THEY ARE THE EXACT SAME!!! The reason is as it says in the CBA if the playerís prior team doesnít exercise its Right of First Refusal, the averaged salary amount will be included in the new teamís Team Salary for each year of the contract. However, if the playerís prior team does exercise its Right of First Refusal, the amount included in Team Salary for each year shall be the salary set forth in the contract.

Therefore your proposed scenario doesn't equate because the numbers are wrong. The Rockets will be getting good value from both unless both completely bomb out. It is a slight risk but far less than the risk of the Knicks/Bulls. It is this loophole that Daryl Morey is using to screw the Bulls and the Knicks.

Blazers#1Fan
07-16-2012, 03:29 AM
I say its one of the best 2-3 top draft picks and lin and asik so next year if they sign Ibaka to lets say a max and Bynum also theyd have a top team

Bynum/Asik
Ibaka/White
Jones
Lamb
Lin

This is a IF post

shen
07-16-2012, 03:37 AM
I watched Jones in high school, then I moved to Arkansas while he was at Kentucky so I saw a lot of him in SEC. He is a guy 5 years from now will be considered top 5 player from this draft and a lot of teams will be questioning why they did not draft him.

Blazers#1Fan
07-16-2012, 03:48 AM
I watched Jones in high school, then I moved to Arkansas while he was at Kentucky so I saw a lot of him in SEC. He is a guy 5 years from now will be considered top 5 player from this draft and a lot of teams will be questioning why they did not draft him.

Yeah TJ will be a beast i see gerald wallace 2.0

DitchDat
07-16-2012, 03:49 AM
Yikes that's a lot of money for them