PDA

View Full Version : Your Lineup?

papipapsmanny
07-13-2012, 09:46 PM
So Next Thursday the unthinkable might happen. A lineup that is all healthy with all the players we thought we would see playing (Pedy is expected back next Thursday/Friday).

So what do you think the lineup should be.

Here is mine

Ellsbury
Pedroia
Ortiz
Agon
Middlebrooks
Ross
Crawford
Saltalamacchia
Ciriaco/Aviles

avrpatsfan
07-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz

avrpatsfan
07-13-2012, 10:01 PM
In all seriousness, you nailed it.

1_FrozenNetsFan
07-14-2012, 12:18 AM
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz

Mebbe Punto in cleanup but other than that:rolleyes:

Melo15
07-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz
Ortiz

Mebbe Punto in cleanup but other than that:rolleyes:

Come on now the cleanup spot is designated for Mauro Gomez.

Sweet_Caroline
07-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Trade Ortiz for MacDime and we would be all set. Too bad the Yankees know how valuable he is.

SoxFan0407
07-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Apparently all our hopes and dreams of making the playoffs depend on getting Carl Crawford to produce in the second half. That being said, since he WILL be playing everyday (because of his enormous contract), and the fact that Pedroia is still out, I think we give him his chance to hit where he is most comfortable at the 2 spot and hope he gives us something.

Ellsbury
Crawford
Ortiz
Ross
Agon
Middlebrooks
Salty
Aviles
Ciriaco

Reasoning:

If CC cant get it going he is most likely going to be putting the ball on the ground to try to run it out. He has a much better chance of staying out of a DP with his speed and with Aviles/Ciriaco/Ellsbury trying to break it up rather than Ross/Middlebrooks/Salty barely making it to the bag.

SirHizz
07-16-2012, 03:53 PM
My line-up is consisting of the idea that you need to take pressure off of CC and put him down in the line-up, forget about the salary and just play him where he and the other players are most comfortable. That means Ells and Pedroia at 1-2 is written in stone. CC can't hit at #5 or #6, because he's not comfortable hitting for power.

Ellsbury L
Pedroia R
Ortiz L
Ross R
AGon L
Middlebrooks R
Salty S
CC L / Aviles R
Aviles R / CC L

perfect R-L combo.

SoxFan0407
07-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Crawford is and always has been most comfortable in either the #2 or #3 spot. Thats where he hit in Tampa and (only while pedroia is out) thats where he should hit when he returns to get him going.

BTW - Crawford is hitting in the two spot tonight.

boodgyman5220
07-16-2012, 07:56 PM
i know it puts three lefties in a row at the beginning but if crawford starts hitting just leave him at the two.

Ellsbury L
Crawford L
Ortiz L
PedroiaR
AGon L
Ross R
Salty S
Middlebrooks R
Aviles R

If hes not hitting then something like

Ellsbury L
PedroiaR
Ortiz L
AGon L
Ross R
Salty S
Middlebrooks R
Crawford L
Aviles R

Crucis
07-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Heck, the Sox had 4 lefties in a row at the top of the lineup with Ells, CC, Papi, and AGon. The flipside is that Ortiz has become pretty much as good vs. lefties as he is against righties, so that arguably breaks things up a bit.

As for what lineup the Sox should use going forward (once Pedey's back), part of me says to stick with what's worked in the past, i.e. leading off with Ells and Pedrioa. However, I think that if this team is going to make a serious run in the second half, they need Crawford to return to being himself, and getting that to happen may be helped by hitting him 2nd. But that then begs the question, where to hit Pedrioa? 4th? or even lower? Not really sure.

BOSTONMARC
07-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Jacoby Ellsbury

Carl Crawford

Dustin Pedroia

Adrian Gonzales

David Ortiz

Cody Ross

Middlebrooks

Salty

Aviles

and then trade bucholz and a prospect for tim lincecum or hamels or garza

Crucis
07-16-2012, 11:27 PM
Jacoby Ellsbury

Carl Crawford

Dustin Pedroia

Adrian Gonzales

David Ortiz

Cody Ross

Middlebrooks

Salty

Aviles

and then trade bucholz and a prospect for tim lincecum or hamels or garza

Why would you hit the far and away most productive hitter on the team 5th? Ortiz should be hitting 3rd or 4th.

BOSTONMARC
07-17-2012, 08:06 AM
it doesnt matter, you can swap ortiz and gonzales , but he was hitting 5th at the start of the season and it didnt really matter

AI
07-17-2012, 09:23 AM
If Crawford produces in the 2-spot until Pedey returns, do we move him or try to maximize his production by keeping him comfortable?

Ellsbury CF
Crawford LF
Ortiz DH
Pedroia 2B
Gonzalez 1B
Middlebrooks 3B
Ross RF
Saltalamacchia C
Aviles SS

You may notice that I have 3 LHH'sat the top of the lineup, but it really doesn't matter since Ortiz is mashing vs LHP...

'12: .314/.373/.603, .976 OPS
'11: .329/.423/.566, .989 OPS

Also, this is Pedroia's line batting cleanup: .397/.442/.675, 1.117 OPS (139 PA's)

Crucis
07-17-2012, 10:53 AM
If Crawford produces in the 2-spot until Pedey returns, do we move him or try to maximize his production by keeping him comfortable?

Ellsbury CF
Crawford LF
Ortiz DH
Pedroia 2B
Gonzalez 1B
Middlebrooks 3B
Ross RF
Saltalamacchia C
Aviles SS

You may notice that I have 3 LHH'sat the top of the lineup, but it really doesn't matter since Ortiz is mashing vs LHP...

'12: .314/.373/.603, .976 OPS
'11: .329/.423/.566, .989 OPS

Also, this is Pedroia's line batting cleanup: .397/.442/.675, 1.117 OPS (139 PA's)

Yeah, AI, I made this point a few posts back. That is, if Crawford can produce in the #2 spot, should the Sox consider moving Pedrioa elsewhere in the lineup? I think that the answer is yes, if Pedrioa can produce in another spot.

Ideally, I'd prefer to have Pedrioa hitting #2 so that the Sox aren't running out an order with 3 or 4 lefties in a row at the top of the lineup. However, if CC seems most comfortable hitting #2 and produces there, the Sox have to consider trying to get the most out of their investment in CC and leave him there, at least as long as Pedey is able to hit well elsewhere.

I am a bit wary of having Pedey in the cleanup spot on a regular basis. For the occasional spot start, it's no big deal. But I'm not sure that it'd be wise to tempt Pedey into bad swing habits due to any apparent pressure to produce in the cleanup spot. Long term, he might be better off around #6, with a little less pressure to produce.

MG956
07-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Jacoby Ellsbury

Carl Crawford

Dustin Pedroia

Adrian Gonzales

David Ortiz

Cody Ross

Middlebrooks

Salty

Aviles

The only change I would make is flip Ross/Middlebrooks.

As for CC last year we pushed him down in the order b/c he wasn't hitting and left him there. It was a mistake to leave him down there when he began to produce.

Look at how they always deal w/ Ells. He gets in a slump and he get pushed down. The very second he looks to produce he is back up. CC deserves that same respect.

I'd rather Peddie be #3 b/c he will grind out an on base with 2 down better than anyone else.

Agon is set to go laser show so he gets cleanup. At this time he gets the nod over Ortiz.

One thing I worry about is Salty is wasting at bats. As much as I prefer him to be the starting catcher I wonder if he isn't getting ground down a bit.

MG956
07-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Yeah, AI, I made this point a few posts back. That is, if Crawford can produce in the #2 spot, should the Sox consider moving Pedrioa elsewhere in the lineup? I think that the answer is yes, if Pedrioa can produce in another spot.

Ideally, I'd prefer to have Pedrioa hitting #2 so that the Sox aren't running out an order with 3 or 4 lefties in a row at the top of the lineup. However, if CC seems most comfortable hitting #2 and produces there, the Sox have to consider trying to get the most out of their investment in CC and leave him there, at least as long as Pedey is able to hit well elsewhere.

I am a bit wary of having Pedey in the cleanup spot on a regular basis. For the occasional spot start, it's no big deal. But I'm not sure that it'd be wise to tempt Pedey into bad swing habits due to any apparent pressure to produce in the cleanup spot. Long term, he might be better off around #6, with a little less pressure to produce.

Please let me be there when someone has to explain to Peddie he is getting moved down b/c he can't take the pressure.

Game 7, 9th inning w/ 2 outs and you need a hit? Who else would you rather see at the plate?

Crucis
07-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Please let me be there when someone has to explain to Peddie he is getting moved down b/c he can't take the pressure.

Game 7, 9th inning w/ 2 outs and you need a hit? Who else would you rather see at the plate?

MG, my concern isn't about him withering under the pressure generally. I just worry that if he was hitting cleanup long term, he might start swinging for the fences too much for his own good.

Crucis
07-17-2012, 06:06 PM
The only change I would make is flip Ross/Middlebrooks.

As for CC last year we pushed him down in the order b/c he wasn't hitting and left him there. It was a mistake to leave him down there when he began to produce.

Look at how they always deal w/ Ells. He gets in a slump and he get pushed down. The very second he looks to produce he is back up. CC deserves that same respect.

I'd rather Peddie be #3 b/c he will grind out an on base with 2 down better than anyone else.

Agon is set to go laser show so he gets cleanup. At this time he gets the nod over Ortiz.

One thing I worry about is Salty is wasting at bats. As much as I prefer him to be the starting catcher I wonder if he isn't getting ground down a bit.

Personally, I'd flip Ortiz and Agon in Bostonmarc's lineup. I just like having Ortiz getting the most protection possible because he's the team's best power hitter. Still, if both are hot and productive, it's probably not going to matter one way or t'other.

MG956
07-17-2012, 06:23 PM
MG, my concern isn't about him withering under the pressure generally. I just worry that if he was hitting cleanup long term, he might start swinging for the fences too much for his own good.

Pedey< (I assume the correct spelling), would look at being moved down as a demotion. That I would worry about.

Usually at a time when we have questions like this Bags would splash the relevent stats at us and simplify matters. Regardless, my take is from the opposite end of the spectrum and I rely on gut instinct and seat-of the pants feelings. Unfortunately those areas tend to be close to where my head is often stuck up.

MG956
07-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Personally, I'd flip Ortiz and Agon in Bostonmarc's lineup. I just like having Ortiz getting the most protection possible because he's the team's best power hitter. Still, if both are hot and productive, it's probably not going to matter one way or t'other.

That's why I gave the nod to Agon. My crystal ball says he is the hot bat at this time.

Now it looks like Nava is replacing DO and I should probably stop trying to make sense of the lineups. Now I think they are just screwing with our heads.

Crucis
07-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Pedey< (I assume the correct spelling), would look at being moved down as a demotion. That I would worry about.

Usually at a time when we have questions like this Bags would splash the relevent stats at us and simplify matters. Regardless, my take is from the opposite end of the spectrum and I rely on gut instinct and seat-of the pants feelings. Unfortunately those areas tend to be close to where my head is often stuck up.

The problem is that the Sox have two #2 hitters. The best solution would seem to be the one that tries to get the most out of both of them. And if one of them isn't particularly good unless he's hitting #2 while the other is more flexible, then the solution seems clear. Personally, I suspect that Pedrioa may be the more flexible of the two, but that's just a wild guess.

As for the "demotion", I don't think that Pedrioa would see it that way if it was fully explained to him. Besides, if the top 3 in the lineup were Ells, CC, then Pedey, I don't think that he'd be terribly bent out of shape. ;)

Bo Sox Fan
07-17-2012, 09:16 PM
1. L Ellsbury CF
2. L Crawford LF
3. L Ortiz DH
4. R Pedroia 2B
5. L Gonzalez 1B
6. R Middlebrooks 3B
7. R/L Ross/Sweeney
8. S Saltalamacchia C
9. R Aviles SS

1_FrozenNetsFan
07-18-2012, 03:17 AM
The problem is that the Sox have two #2 hitters. The best solution would seem to be the one that tries to get the most out of both of them. And if one of them isn't particularly good unless he's hitting #2 while the other is more flexible, then the solution seems clear. Personally, I suspect that Pedrioa may be the more flexible of the two, but that's just a wild guess.

As for the "demotion", I don't think that Pedrioa would see it that way if it was fully explained to him. Besides, if the top 3 in the lineup were Ells, CC, then Pedey, I don't think that he'd be terribly bent out of shape. ;)

Those 3 in that order makes sense. We need not have to look back too far to remember Pedy hitting in multiple slots including cleanup. I think he's got the stronger head between him and CC. I'd like to see Papi stay in cleanup and have Gonzo hit 5th. I know Gonzo is starting to come on and I'm thinking it isn't gonna stop but having the big bopper (for now) hitting cleanup is my choice.

SoxFan0407
07-18-2012, 10:30 AM
I still want to see the sox pull off a trade for Dempster and Castro. Would be much happier to see our prospects leave for the cubs if we were getting Castro as well. Kids young with a lot of potential. Probably wouldn't mind Boston as long as we could meet his contract demands after the season.

Lineup
Ellsbury
Crawford
Pedroia
Ortiz
Gonzo
Middlebrooks
Salty
Ross
Castro

Bench
Aviles
Shoppach
Sweeney
Lavarnaway

Rotation
Lester
Beckett
Dempster
Doubront
Cook/Dice-K

Wouldn't mind to see a package of Buccholz, Nava, Podsednik, Bard and Iglesias get shipped.

Station 13
07-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Taco
Crawdaddy
Papi
A-Gone
Mighty Mouse/Mouth
Will the Thrill
Bat Flip
Salty
Sparkplug/Pedro/Mike