PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson turns down Blazers Head Coaching Job

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-13-2012, 08:01 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/13/report-blazers-offered-head-coaching-job-to-phil-jackson-he-said-no-thanks/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Can you really picture Phil Jackson coaching the Portland Trail Blazers?

Neither can Phil Jackson, apparently.

But the offer was there, reports Chris Haynes of CSNNW.com.

For the last few months, the Trail Blazers have been in back-and-forth discussions with Phil Jackson in an attempt to persuade him to take their head coaching vacancy, a close source said.

Last week, Jackson’s agent, Todd Musburger, informed the Trail Blazers that Jackson was flattered, but has decided he would not coach this upcoming season.

Blazers GM Neil Olshey confirmed that the sides talked but said Jackson decided this wasn’t the right time. How far this went and how serious it got is up to you to decide, but my guess is not very.

Portland is rebuilding a franchise right now, trying to rework a roster on the fly around LaMarcus Aldridge. They are a couple years away and are just flat out not going to be all that good next season. That’s not what Jackson is going to sign on for.

I still contend I don’t think Jackson ever returns to an NBA bench, I don’t think he wants to do the physical grind of the regular season anymore. He wants more the consultant to the GM or president role somewhere. In the mean time, he’ll just write a book and get richer.

Losoway
07-13-2012, 08:02 PM
he only coaches teams with 1-4 hall of fame players or superstars

he doesnt do challenges

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-13-2012, 08:03 PM

he doesnt do challenges

Oh please, he's already called Portland a depressing city to live and play basketball.

(Sorry Blazers fans, no offense).

And btw, he came to the Lakers in 05 right when they failed to make the playoffs.

Can't make that argument anymore.

D12 fan
07-13-2012, 08:03 PM

he doesnt do challenges

I was about to post this lol.

310Casper
07-13-2012, 08:05 PM
He's waiting for coach spoelstra to quit

BigBlueCrew
07-13-2012, 08:05 PM

he doesnt do challenges

this

:clap:

Lake_Show2416
07-13-2012, 08:24 PM
go there to rebuild? no point...

Avenged
07-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Phil is already heavily accomplished.. wouldn't make sense to go to a mediocre at best team.

JasonJohnHorn
07-13-2012, 08:29 PM
LAL needs to get him on the phone... he's the only coach that can get Kobe to share the ball.... and for the first time in his career he would have an all-star PG to run the point...

I wonder how many players LAL will have on the all-star team this season.

TwoBit
07-13-2012, 08:30 PM

he doesnt do challenges

LMAO :clap:

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-13-2012, 08:32 PM
LAL needs to get him on the phone... he's the only coach that can get Kobe to share the ball.... and for the first time in his career he would have an all-star PG to run the point...

I wonder how many players LAL will have on the all-star team this season.

If Phil comes back, the triangle will inhibit Steve Nash. No chance of happening. We have seen the last of Phil Jackson on a Laker bench.....and hopefully...on an NBA bench.

I remember seeing the guy barely walk. Hell, I don't even think there is any other organization fit to have PHil Jackson as their coach. They probably won't even respect him and accommodate him correctly, as he requires those special expensive high chairs during games.

It's not that easy in hiring Phil Jackson, a lot goes into it before hiring him.

bholly
07-13-2012, 08:41 PM
If Phil comes back, the triangle will inhibit Steve Nash. No chance of happening. We have seen the last of Phil Jackson on a Laker bench.....and hopefully...on an NBA bench.

I remember seeing the guy barely walk. Hell, I don't even think there is any other organization fit to have PHil Jackson as their coach. They probably won't even respect him and accommodate him correctly, as he requires those special expensive high chairs during games.

It's not that easy in hiring Phil Jackson, a lot goes into it before hiring him.

lol, what? I don't think there's a single team in the league that wouldn't give him the utmost respect and bend over backwards to accomodate his health needs. Hell, if any coach in the league needed a chair like that their team would do it. What a crazy claim.

GREATNESS ONE
07-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Lol @ people trying to take shots at the greatest coach of all-time.

PaaaaLeeeeeaaaassssseeee.

otwisted
07-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Lol @ people trying to take shots at the greatest coach of all-time.

PaaaaLeeeeeaaaassssseeee.

Nobody is taking shots at Red Auerbach.

jiggin
07-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Oh please, he's already called Portland a depressing city to live and play basketball.

(Sorry Blazers fans, no offense).

And btw, he came to the Lakers in 05 right when they failed to make the playoffs.

Can't make that argument anymore.

yeah, that is why portland ranks so high as one of the best places to live in the country:

http://www.bestplaces.net/rankings/city/oregon/portland

He knows very little about the city, but that is cool. We like it that way, keeps all the things amazing about living here to ourselves. :)

Ranked the second best city for food enthusiasts and the second-most fiscally fit city, Portland has become a mecca for both fine dining and a high quality of life. Its 550,000 inhabitants live an hour from the beach and an hour from the mountains, while also living amongst nearly 25 acres of park lands for every 1,000 residents.

STAY AWAY FROM PORTLAND!!!!

more for us and less morons moving here.

jiggin
07-13-2012, 09:44 PM
He doesn't coach teams that he has to mentor new talent, he only coaches teams that are stacked...look at his rosters on almost every team he has coached.

He has so many rings for a reason...most of us can obviously see and admit that.

numba1CHANGsta
07-13-2012, 09:48 PM
teams need to leave Phil Jackson alone, he's done and un-interested in coaching again

NYK|NYY
07-13-2012, 09:51 PM
They have a clunky roster!

Jint.
07-13-2012, 09:53 PM
no suprise.. Portland is not a good enough team for Phil

LAKERMANIA
07-13-2012, 09:54 PM

:laugh:

That's funny I must have read that wrong, Red Auerbach?? :laugh: :laugh:

keetyweedy
07-13-2012, 09:57 PM
& this was supposed to be a shocker?

Evolution23
07-13-2012, 10:00 PM
If they Jordan, Pippen, Rodman maybe
If they had Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, maybe
If they had a healthy Roy, healthy Oden, and Batum maybe.

Gritz
07-13-2012, 10:02 PM

you know dang well you never seen him coach a game

keetyweedy
07-13-2012, 10:02 PM
If they Jordan, Pippen, Rodman maybe
If they had Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, maybe
If they had a healthy Roy, healthy Oden, and Batum maybe.

Highly doubt it, He turned down the knicks and they're light years better than them

jiggin
07-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Highly doubt it, He turned down the knicks and they're light years better than them

not to start a rivalry or "fight" discussion but the blazers have the knicks number over the years:

http://nbauniverse.com/head_to_head/knicks_vs_trail_blazers_all_time.htm

New York Knicks 45 - 54 Portland Trail Blazers in 99 head to head matches.
winning %: Knicks: (.455) Blazers: (.545)

SUCK ON THAT!!!

bholly
07-13-2012, 10:10 PM

Light years better than healthy Roy, healthy Oden, and Batum? Wow. There might only be two or three teams in the league that are better than that at all, let alone lightyears better.

974life
07-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Come back Phil , come back.

jiggin
07-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Light years better than healthy Roy, healthy Oden, and Batum? Wow. There might only be two or three teams in the league that are better than that at all, let alone lightyears better.

you got to understand, anyone from NY thinks they are light years ahead of every one in every category, life included. We don't tell the reality because they wouldn't listen anyway...again, cause they are light years smarter than anyone else. :)

ahhhh...ignorance is bliss...:D

keetyweedy
07-13-2012, 10:13 PM
not to start a rivalry or "fight" discussion but the blazers have the knicks number over the years:

http://nbauniverse.com/head_to_head/knicks_vs_trail_blazers_all_time.htm

New York Knicks 45 - 54 Portland Trail Blazers in 99 head to head matches.
winning %: Knicks: (.455) Blazers: (.545)

SUCK ON THAT!!!

Correct me if wrong but just became back relevant 2yrs ago so what im saying is the CURRENT new york knicks roster is better than the '08 Blazers(which was brandon roy's prime yr)

FLWolvesFan
07-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Don't pay no attention to Jurgens, he's a hyper-sensitive homer that tries to start arguements with any other city/fanbase for any old dumb reason.

keetyweedy
07-13-2012, 10:16 PM

ok maybe i went a little overboard w/ the light yrs but the knicks are better with all of them healthy....and im not even a knicks fan

and i can give you at least 5 teams better than them healthy as well
OKC
MIA
SAS
BOS
CHI

bholly
07-13-2012, 10:24 PM
ok maybe i went a little overboard w/ the light yrs but the knicks are better with all of them healthy....and im not even a knicks fan

and i can give you at least 5 teams better than them healthy as well
OKC
MIA
SAS
BOS
CHI

I don't think it's far out of line to say Oden would've most likely been a top-3 dominating center if healthy (and that might even be a conservative estimate) and Roy was considered a top-3 SG until a couple of years ago. That combination with a good young SF and just about whatever else you put around them is among the upper echelon of elite teams. Of course it's stupid to try and compare a three-man core to those complete teams, but I think it's also misguided of you to be sure those teams would be better.

LakersSaintsLSU
07-13-2012, 10:25 PM

:facepalm:
Phil 11>>>red auerbach 9 numbers dont lie stfu hater!

BKdoubleStacker
07-13-2012, 10:29 PM
:laugh:

That's funny I must have read that wrong, Red Auerbach?? :laugh: :laugh:

you mean back when there was a total of 8 teams in the nba?

#youdontsay

keetyweedy
07-13-2012, 10:39 PM
I don't think it's far out of line to say Oden would've most likely been a top-3 dominating center if healthy (and that might even be a conservative estimate) and Roy was considered a top-3 SG until a couple of years ago. That combination with a good young SF and just about whatever else you put around them is among the upper echelon of elite teams. Of course it's stupid to try and compare a three-man core to those complete teams, but I think it's also misguided of you to be sure those teams would be better.

How would you figure it to be misguided? I'll give you Roy at the prime of his career could have been argued a top 3 sg, but Oden a top 3 dominating center? you cannot be serious! I seen what he could do at his potential, HEALTHY at ohio state he was a decent center and he won national championship but he also had mike conley and a good surrounding cast, but as far as a top-3 dominating center? Not even close, as far as dominating centers go in this league there is only 2, D12 & Bynum.... and batum is a good role player but everybody i just stated has a all around good team, there is no way portland could actually cause any type of threat to any of those teams

bholly
07-13-2012, 10:47 PM
lol, okay. Oden was a 'decent' center. You got me.

JoeDirt05
07-13-2012, 10:52 PM
How would you figure it to be misguided? I'll give you Roy at the prime of his career could have been argued a top 3 sg, but Oden a top 3 dominating center? you cannot be serious! I seen what he could do at his potential, HEALTHY at ohio state he was a decent center and he won national championship but he also had mike conley and a good surrounding cast, but as far as a top-3 dominating center? Not even close, as far as dominating centers go in this league there is only 2, D12 & Bynum.... and batum is a good role player but everybody i just stated has a all around good team, there is no way portland could actually cause any type of threat to any of those teams

your officially the dumbest man alive and any point you are making is mute they lost to Florida in the Championship game :facepalm: for an epic fail

IBleedPurple
07-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Many good coaches could have won several titles with Jordan and Kobe (and Kobe/Shaq).

Maybe not quite as many titles, but plenty. Let's see him coach in Charlotte and build it up. Greatest of all time? Probably not, but maybe......Winningest? Absolutely

BKdoubleStacker
07-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Many good coaches could have won several titles with Jordan and Kobe (and Kobe/Shaq).

Maybe not quite as many titles, but plenty. Let's see him coach in Charlotte and build it up.

yea aeurbach had a ton of competition, a whopping 8 teams in the whole nba

Of course he didnt have any hall of famers on his team though :rolleyes:

Aust
07-13-2012, 11:17 PM
First Mitch, now Phil. Blazers got good taste :cool:

Tymathee
07-13-2012, 11:41 PM
You all realize when Phil went back to the Lakers, all they had was Kobe and got knocked out the 1st round 2 years in a row and he built that team back to where it was? He'd never taken a challenge like that and still went to 3 straight finals with 2 wins.

MadBomber
07-14-2012, 05:51 AM

he doesnt do challenges

haha

sventhedog
07-14-2012, 07:57 AM
good decision. you don't want to catch that bad luck disease in portland.

aztr0
07-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Phil Jackson does not coach a team unless there's a franchise player(s) with very good supporting cast. Why Portland even bother to ask, is a mystery.

LakersIn5
07-14-2012, 11:05 AM

you bash phil for coaching a team with jordan,pippen,shaq,kobe but youre fine with auerbach coaching a team with bill russell on an era where the nba has no parity whatsoever when the celtics have like a team full of hall of famers.

Sly Guy
07-14-2012, 11:14 AM

he doesnt do challenges

agreed. This will probably go unnoticed by most, but it lends support to my belief that Phil Jackson is an always has been an overrated coach.

I've said it a million times before, give me Pop, or Sloan over Jackson anyday.

LoveMeOrHateMe
07-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Haters gonna hate

Sly Guy
07-14-2012, 11:28 AM
You all realize when Phil went back to the Lakers, all they had was Kobe and got knocked out the 1st round 2 years in a row and he built that team back to where it was? He'd never taken a challenge like that and still went to 3 straight finals with 2 wins.

This is exactly my point. With a less than stellar roster his team was average. He didn't 'build' the team back to prominence, it's the GM who made the trades, signings, and drafted the players to bring talent back to LA. I don't see Phil as being a genius of strategy, or getting his team to perform higher than expectations, or the deciding factor to put a team over the top. He's just the guy who gets credit for not screwing up when the tables are in his favor.

naps
07-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Not surprising. Portland doesn't have a bunch of HOFers. Phil doesn't coach teams without HOFers.

kidfury
07-14-2012, 12:10 PM
'zen master' who let his stacked teams play through mistakes and not call time outs when most coaches would... must be nice to have stacked teams and sit on the bench and get credit for 'coaching'. Here's how i would coach his teams... guys pass the ball to jordan... guys pass the ball to kobe... if shaq is close to the basket pass the ball to him.

LAKERMANIA
07-14-2012, 12:18 PM
agreed. This will probably go unnoticed by most, but it lends support to my belief that Phil Jackson is an always has been an overrated coach.

I've said it a million times before, give me Pop, or Sloan over Jackson anyday.

Explain.

yonkerschampX4
07-14-2012, 12:20 PM
phil is too old to rebuild a team then have some other guy get a ring because he retired .

phil jackson not going make a team better for the next guy to come in

*Silver&Black*
07-14-2012, 12:21 PM

he doesnt do challenges

:clap:

popo85
07-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Both Lakers and Bulls weren't championship teams til he got there, Lakers were on a 12 year dry spell and Bulls were a contending team but not championship....

Obviously he will turn down this offer...

LAKERMANIA
07-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Forget about the fact that Jordan didn't win until Phil became head coach.. Forget about the fact that Kobe and Shaq didn't win anything until Phil.. Phil took care of egos and put them in their place, MJ, Pippen, Kobe and Shaq wouldn't have the rings they have now if it weren't for Phil..

And talking about HOFers... RED AUERBACH?? Bill Russell, Hondo, Bob Cousy, Sam Jones, Bill Sharman, KC Jones and there were 8 teams in the league when they won their 8th in a row..

It's a shame the nba forum seems to bash anything Laker related

*Silver&Black*
07-14-2012, 12:32 PM
The fact is he only goes to teams that has the league's best player on them, Jordan to Shaq to Kobe. The reason he won't go to the Blazers is because none of the jerseys say LeBron James.

Personally, I would love to see him with the Knicks. He has an all-star there, not the best player in the league, but someone capable of winning games. It would be a real coaching test, which why I don't think he would.

LAKERMANIA
07-14-2012, 12:36 PM
The fact is he only goes to teams that has the league's best player on them, Jordan to Shaq to Kobe. The reason he won't go to the Blazers is because none of the jerseys say LeBron James.

He chooses teams based on how he thinks the triangle would fit. He turned down the Knicks, they had Melo and Amare on the team..

*Silver&Black*
07-14-2012, 12:37 PM
He chooses teams based on how he thinks the triangle would fit. He turned down the Knicks, they had Melo and Amare on the team..

Melo and Amare isn't anywhere close to the best player in the league. My playbook would work too if I picked the team with the best player in the league at that time (Jordan, sign me up. Shaq sign me up. Kobe, just as long as he has a big man to go along with.). Shaq leaves, Lakers suck, I bolt. Makes trade, gets all-star to go with the best player in the league. Just kidding guys, I'm back.

LAKERMANIA
07-14-2012, 12:44 PM
My playbook would work too if I picked the team with the best player in the league at that time (Jordan, sign me up. Shaq sign me up. Kobe, just as long as he has a big man to go along with.). Shaq leaves, Lakers suck, I bolt. Makes trade, gets all-star to go with the best player in the league. Just kidding guys, I'm back.

2005-2006 Lakers say hello.

GREATNESS ONE
07-14-2012, 12:45 PM
As a Raider fan I am embarrassed.

LAKERMANIA
07-14-2012, 12:48 PM

I'm embarrassed for him..

Phil's system is what brought Jordan his rings. Yes I said it.

If it weren't for Phil Jordan wouldn't have six rings, Phil brought discipline, he brought knowledge and he turns great players into legends.

And yes, the Greatest Coach of all time is a Laker.. DEAL WITH IT

whitesoxfan83
07-14-2012, 01:48 PM
^No he wasn't, Jackson was a Bull. He won more rings with the Bulls, coached the better player with the Bulls, had the better dynasty, etc etc etc.

Jackson is a Bull.

Sly Guy
07-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Explain.

I did 2 posts down. Look at his record without a stacked roster. Granted it's a small sample size, but the results aren't encouraging.....2 first round exits. Not that he's a bad coach, he just gets far more credit than he deserves.

You look at someone like pop, who's had different personelle throughout a great number of years in SA. He's had to change his systems and styles to suit the players on his roster, yet he's always had successful years and the spurs have always been relevant. Look at the last few years, sure, manu, parker, and duncan are constants, but the team has switched from a grind it out defensive team to a run and gun shoot the 3 offensive team.

In the case of Sloan, 20 years, made the playoffs virtually all of them? He's always maximized the potential of his roster, regardless of whether it was full of rookie, veterans, or hall of fame players. He's a guy who can turn a game on it's head with a defensive adjustment at halftime by seeing something no one else does.

Even look at adelman, who's never had a roster full of stars. Yet year after year, adelman teams will jump up and surprise you with how competitive they are.

I'll take those guys over the zen master any day. the mark of a good coach isn't winning with MJ, Kobe, Shaq, Pippen, or whatever that era's best players, it's by winning without them.

jiggin
07-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Vecsey: Blazers GM Neil Olshey & Agent "Froze Out" Phil Jackson
Peter Vecsey of the New York Post reports on Twitter that Portland Trail Blazers GM Neil Olshey and his agent, Warren LeGarie, were behind a recent story that former Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson wasn't interested in coaching the Blazers because they would prefer that Jackson doesn't join the franchise.
----------------------------------
Olshey is bs'ing. A source says Paul Allen was supposed to meet with Phil... pre-Olshey. Then he & agent Warren LeGarie froze out Phil: No meeting.

Phil wanted to come in at a president level... and 'maybe' coach this season, Most likely he would've inserted Brian Shaw & assisted at home games.

Phil still would entertain [president] job, But Legarie/Olshey "are leaking info so as to dissuade Allen from considering such," source claims.

https://twitter.com/PeterVecsey1/status/224160065886748673

http://www.blazersedge.com/2012/7/13/3158017/haynes-blazers-chased-phil-jackson-for-months

So for all those saying Jackson wouldn't come to a ****** franchise like Portland, **** YOU...you know NOTHING! LOL

*Silver&Black*
07-14-2012, 04:29 PM

Because I don't like Phil Jackson's legacy, and suck up to the Lakers? Raiders are a football team. Lakers isn't. I don't live in L.A., and I don't expect every football fan to be a fan of the same state's pro basketball team. Get over it.

SlimKid
07-14-2012, 04:43 PM
yeah, that is why portland ranks so high as one of the best places to live in the country:

http://www.bestplaces.net/rankings/city/oregon/portland

He knows very little about the city, but that is cool. We like it that way, keeps all the things amazing about living here to ourselves. :)

STAY AWAY FROM PORTLAND!!!!

more for us and less morons moving here.

Those best places to live lists are complete rubbish.. Plymouth, MN (where I live) was rated the best city to live in the entire U.S. a few years ago.. Everyone that lives here laughed their ***** off about it. Nothing wrong with the city, typical suburban neighborhoods, but definitely not the best place to live in the entire U.S. Same thing with Portland, great city, by no means the best.. I could play with the qualifications of those lists and manipulate it to prove Mobile, AL as the best city to live in, would you believe me?

asap_simba
07-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Hopefully Portland chooses Brian Shaw as their new head coach. He would be the perfect fit. Really like him , Would be a great head coach for Damian Lillard to learn from.

jiggin
07-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Those best places to live lists are complete rubbish.. Plymouth, MN (where I live) was rated the best city to live in the entire U.S. a few years ago.. Everyone that lives here laughed their ***** off about it. Nothing wrong with the city, typical suburban neighborhoods, but definitely not the best place to live in the entire U.S. Same thing with Portland, great city, by no means the best.. I could play with the qualifications of those lists and manipulate it to prove Mobile, AL as the best city to live in, would you believe me?

a lot goes into those lists, at least the ones that I know, including business information, real estate figures, ect...

...so yes, if you just look at it as in, "is it cool to live here", then it may seem weird some are at the top, but again, so many aspects go into it...at least the ones I know...

celtisox41
07-14-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm embarrassed for him..

Phil's system is what brought Jordan his rings. Yes I said it.

If it weren't for Phil Jordan wouldn't have six rings, Phil brought discipline, he brought knowledge and he turns great players into legends.

And yes, the Greatest Coach of all time is a Laker.. DEAL WITH IT

Phil Jackson is not the greatest coach of all time. Auerbach built and coached his teams. Jackson just hopped from the greatest player of all time to another team with 2 of the greatest of all time. It doesn't surprise me he declined Portland, they don't have enough superstars for him to keep up the illusion that he's a great coach