PDA

View Full Version : are the Mavs trying to make one more run OR trying to make sure Dirk does not leave?

JoeyBoy718
07-13-2012, 07:08 PM
The Mavs have acquired a few vets in Kaman, Brand and Collison, and are trying to trade for Calderon. These veteran acquisitions might give them another year or two of playoff hopes but they really do nothing for the future of the Mavs. Do you think they're legitimately trying to make one last run or are they just afraid that if they didn't sign anyone Dirk was going to leave? I think they're making a mistake by not rebuilding.

Cursed Rangers
07-13-2012, 07:12 PM
I think that it is a stroke of genius for the Mavs. They missed out on their main target this year.

Now they are loading up on short contracts that give them the flexibility to make another run at the superstars that are scheduled to be FA's next year.

Take a look around the league and see how many teams (that players will actually want to go to) will have cap flexibility next off-season. There are not too many. In other words it gives them a chance to land someone strong.

The only other option would have been trading Dirk, which would have hacked off their fan base.

waveycrockett
07-13-2012, 07:14 PM
One more run at what? The playoffs?

Avenged
07-13-2012, 07:15 PM
They are just trying to compete. They won't win any championships with the group of guys they recently acquired but they will be a playoff team.

Shareeb_omac2
07-13-2012, 07:16 PM
They are still being competitive this year while still having the cap flexibility going forward. Simple as that.

All these deals are short term and they plan on being aggressive in FA next season and 2014.

SlimKid
07-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Neither. They're making the best out of what was a bad situation at the start of FA.

JoeyBoy718
07-13-2012, 07:17 PM
I think that it is a stroke of genius for the Mavs. They missed out on their main target this year.

Now they are loading up on short contracts that give them the flexibility to make another run at the superstars that are scheduled to be FA's next year.

Take a look around the league and see how many teams (that players will actually want to go to) will have cap flexibility next off-season. There are not too many. In other words it gives them a chance to land someone strong.

The only other option would have been trading Dirk, which would have hacked off their fan base.

I see your point. But I think they might be unlucky if they put all their eggs into one basket again. They had a championship roster 13 months ago and they let guys go that were important in their success. Then they waited around for a year hoping they could get their guy. Now it looks like they'll wait around for another year. Well, Cuban has always been a risk taker.

bholly
07-13-2012, 07:20 PM

you, jmoney(?), and domefavors need to knock this off. trolling the mavs in every single post isn't clever or funny or anything, it's just stupid. it's been like a week, and none of you have ever even said anything clever, just the same old trite ****. seriously, just stop it.

Shareeb_omac2
07-13-2012, 07:21 PM
I see your point. But I think they might be unlucky if they put all their eggs into one basket again. They had a championship roster 13 months ago and they let guys go that were important in their success. Then they waited around for a year hoping they could get their guy. Now it looks like they'll wait around for another year. Well, Cuban has always been a risk taker.

You do realize that, that championship roster was built with players that other teams kept dumping off?

Barea and Chandler weren't considered to be that great of players before that season. Everyone chose the Mavs to be knocked out of the playoffs that year.

Just goes to show no one can predict what pieces put a team "over the top".

waveycrockett
07-13-2012, 07:22 PM
you, jmoney(?), and the favors kid need to knock this off. trolling the mavs in every single post isn't clever or funny or anything, it's just stupid. it's been like a week, and none of you have ever even said anything clever, just the same old trite ****. seriously, just stop it.

Trolling? The thread asks are they making a run. I wont to know at what specifically. The way that team looks...

LongWayFromHome
07-13-2012, 07:22 PM

they did not have a championship roster 13 months ago. They won a championship but they were not going to repeat. This is not risky. What's risky is overpaying chandler and batum and Lopez.

IndyRealist
07-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Um...Darren Collison is still on his rookie contract. I don't see how he's not either a trade asset or a future building piece.

Iron24th
07-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Nets fans are becoming the biggest PSD trolls quickly.

bholly
07-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Trolling? The thread asks are they making a run. I wont to know at what specifically. The way that team looks...

You're taking every shot you possibly can at them.You know it, I know it, and everybody else knows it. Stop with the disingenuity.

JoeyBoy718
07-13-2012, 07:25 PM
You do realize that, that championship roster was built with players that other teams kept dumping off?

Barea and Chandler were that important of players before that season. Everyone chose the Mavs to be knocked out of the playoffs that year.

Just goes to show no one can predict what pieces put a team "over the top".

That's true. That's pretty much what the Mavs have been doing for like the past decade. They've always assembled a different group of vets each year. Remember when they signed Jamison and Walker that one year? Then with Vince and the other guys last year. I don't really think it's recipe for success. It finally worked one season and it made Cuban seem like a genius. The only thing that's ever been stable with the Mavs has been Dirk.

bholly
07-13-2012, 07:25 PM
They are just trying to compete. They won't win any championships with the group of guys they recently acquired but they will be a playoff team.

They are still being competitive this year while still having the cap flexibility going forward. Simple as that.

All these deals are short term and they plan on being aggressive in FA next season and 2014.

Neither. They're making the best out of what was a bad situation at the start of FA.

These. They're building a basketball team while keeping future flexibility. Since losing DWill it's been a masterful offseason for them.

marj987
07-13-2012, 07:26 PM

Hey I don't know you, and this may sound crazy, but youre quite annoying,

So eat a d**k maybe?

Shareeb_omac2
07-13-2012, 07:27 PM
It's going to get ugly on PSD if the Nets don't make it to the playoffs. All this trolling by Nets fans is going to come back ten fold.

waveycrockett
07-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Hey I don't know you, and this may sound crazy, but youre quite annoying,

So eat a d**k maybe?

Come on bruh it's just basketball.

marj987
07-13-2012, 07:29 PM
I don't even know how these guys are still posting.......

Avenged?

marj987
07-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Come on bruh it's just basketball.

Youve been trolling and talking down on the mavs ever since you guys got D-Will, so maybe you can **** off just a little bit?

waveycrockett
07-13-2012, 07:31 PM
edit

valade16
07-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Did anybody think they were going to win the Title 2 years ago?

So I find it a little hard to judge them by saying "they have no chance" when everyone said the same thing before and they proved us wrong...

Aust
07-13-2012, 07:34 PM
They're basically just bottom feeders until FA 2013 where they hope to come out on top

KingPosey
07-13-2012, 07:39 PM
You're taking every shot you possibly can at them.You know it, I know it, and everybody else knows it. Stop with the disingenuity.

Lord bholly has spoken, his word is PSD law and all must submit....

But I think they salvaged a terrible off season and actually got better than they were this last season. I dont see a chip in their future but they can make some noise with a little luck.

HYFR
07-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Nets fans talking reckless

AnthonyTyrael
07-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Let them talk whatever they will. Just don't care. It's that easy. Don't react, don't complain, don't insult...don't waste your time and you'll feel much better. It's part of a process called growing.

sixer04fan
07-14-2012, 10:04 AM
Hell, I think with Collison, Kaman, and now Brand in the fold, they're better off than they were last year. And they've kept their financial flexibility to make some BIG moves later on.

One last run? They'll be fine this year, and beyond that they have a lot of potential to improve even more.

StarvingKnick22
07-14-2012, 10:18 AM
why cant it be both?

Mr.B
07-14-2012, 11:41 AM
I think people are focusing too much on the thought that the Mavs are waiting for free agency. Is it an option for them? Sure, but over the last 12 years it hasn't been free agency that kept them winning 50+ games every year and helpig them win a title. They did it through trades. Even this off season when everyone thought there were no good players left on the market for them to get they made a trade for a starting PG and found a way to keep themselves competitive. With all of the expiring contracts they have on their roster they are setting themselves up to make a big trade at the trade deadline. If they are not able to make a big trade then they go into free agency with a ton of money again. So to answer the question... I think they are trying to set themselves up for several runs although it may not be specifically with the players on the roster right now.

nicegoing
07-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Nets fans love trolling tbh

Ebbs
07-14-2012, 03:00 PM
were trying to stay competitive for a year while holding out for free agency again . ..

_Supreme_
07-14-2012, 03:10 PM
They are currently trying to salvage whatever they can.

PG - Collison
SG - Beaubois/VC
SF - Marion
PF - Dirk/Wright
C - Kaman

6th man - Brand

Kaman will miss a lot of games, so Brand could be played in his stead.

As it is, I don't see them making the playoffs with that (did I forget anyone?), so they will need at least a couple more solid bench players.

Cromedome
07-14-2012, 03:11 PM
I can see them in the lottery with that lineup.

boolish
07-14-2012, 05:58 PM
one more run? how about filling up the roster with warm bodies? :facepalm:

Spurred1
07-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Realistically, they're making the most out of a bad situation. They apparently don't want to rebuild, they don't want to lose Dirk, and they want to retain their fans. By trading/picking up these players, they will be competitive to a certain extent, but I'm pretty sure Cuban doesn't expect to win anything this upcoming season-he's going to gamble on FA class of 2013. This roster should entertain fans, win games, and appease the fans for the time being.

Young2Kinsler
07-14-2012, 07:22 PM
you, jmoney(?), and domefavors need to knock this off. trolling the mavs in every single post isn't clever or funny or anything, it's just stupid. it's been like a week, and none of you have ever even said anything clever, just the same old trite ****. seriously, just stop it.

The best part is...PSD just keeps letting them do it! I guess trolling and baiting is allowed now, I can't wait to start myself.

Young2Kinsler
07-14-2012, 07:25 PM
They're basically just bottom feeders until FA 2013 where they hope to come out on top

Bottom feeders??? We were the 7 seed last year, and currently have a better team than we did.

Dallas is simply filling out a roster nicely, and smartly, so that they can compete, maybe surprise someone in the playoffs(2011 anyone?) and still have financial flexibility to add a star to the roster down the line via trade or FA.

Young2Kinsler
07-14-2012, 07:27 PM
They are currently trying to salvage whatever they can.

PG - Collison
SG - Beaubois/VC
SF - Marion
PF - Dirk/Wright
C - Kaman

6th man - Brand

Kaman will miss a lot of games, so Brand could be played in his stead.

As it is, I don't see them making the playoffs with that (did I forget anyone?), so they will need at least a couple more solid bench players.

Rain Man? Is that you?

I love how people assume a guy will just get hurt, or think they can see the future.

People told me the same thing when we acquired Tyson Chandler. ;)

waveycrockett
07-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Bottom feeders??? We were the 7 seed last year, and currently have a better team than we did.

Dallas is simply filling out a roster nicely, and smartly, so that they can compete, maybe surprise someone in the playoffs(2011 anyone?) and still have financial flexibility to add a star to the roster down the line via trade or FA.

You added 2 injury prone old guys and back up PG how are you better?

xILLN355
07-14-2012, 07:37 PM

umad

Young2Kinsler
07-14-2012, 07:41 PM
umad

If we can credit you Nets fans for anything, it's being too brain dead to come up with anything original.

Mr.B
07-14-2012, 10:41 PM
You added 2 injury prone old guys and back up PG how are you better?

Because Haywood was extremely inconsistent. He either sucked or was average. He was also slow on defense. Kaman will easily be the best offensive center in Mavs history. As for him being injured a lot the past couple of years I think that had more to do with his situations than actually being injured. The Clippers were trying to force him out (because they already had Deandre Jordan). Then in New Orleans, they were just a crappy *** team that he didn't want to play for.

Brand still rebounds really well and plays good defense. Even as an older player he's better than Ian Mahimi.

Then there is Jason Kidd. Kidd still has the highest basketball IQ in the NBA however he's old as ****! It was painful to watch him bring the ball up court. Even his ability to hit the 3 seemed to be fading last year. Old guys generally don't get better. He himself also said at the beginning of the off season that he can't play 25 to 30 minutes a night anymore. His body can't take it. Kidd is a hall of famer but at this point in his career Collison is better.

Kaman > Haywood
Brand > Mahimi
Collison > Kidd (not all time but definitely at this stage of Kidd's career)

STL Don
07-14-2012, 10:54 PM
This team has some nice talent heading into next season but it is obvious to everyone, including Dallas that this roster most likely won't be competing for any titles in the near future.

Darren Collison/Rodrigue Beaubois
Vince Carter/Dahnty Jones
Shawn Marion/Jae Crowder?
Dirk Nowitzki/Elton brand/Brandon Wright
Kris Kaman/Bernard James?

Domique Jones
Tadija Dragicevic
Jared Cunningham

marj987
07-15-2012, 12:17 AM
People still down talking the Mavs, even after we won a championship, and had one bad year, we are just the sorriest team around now, damn people on this website are so judgmental, and think they know everything.

Mr.B
07-15-2012, 12:35 AM
This team has some nice talent heading into next season but it is obvious to everyone, including Dallas that this roster most likely won't be competing for any titles in the near future.

Darren Collison/Rodrigue Beaubois
Vince Carter/Dahnty Jones
Shawn Marion/Jae Crowder?
Dirk Nowitzki/Elton brand/Brandon Wright
Kris Kaman/Bernard James?

Domique Jones
Tadija Dragicevic
Jared Cunningham

Yea no one, even Mavs fans expect that roster to win a title. I do expect that roster to bring in other players (through trades) that will win the Mavs another title though.

_Supreme_
07-15-2012, 03:08 AM
I love how people assume a guy will just get hurt, or think they can see the future.

It is just a matter of being realistic.

07/08 - 56 gp
08/09 - 31 gp
09/10 - 76 gp
10/11 - 32 gp
11/12 - 47 gp

With the exception of 09/10 that doesn't look very good now does it? Some players in the NBA are simply more injury prone than others, and Chris Kaman is one of them. Now imagine that guy having to log extra duty minutes because there is nobody else at the position. If there was another starting capable center on the roster (which might of course still happen before the end of the offseason) it might be fine. Right now it is indeed cause for worry. You would just be fooling yourself by claiming otherwise.

But maybe a miracle happens, who knows?

Mr.B
07-15-2012, 03:16 AM
It is just a matter of being realistic.

07/08 - 56 gp
08/09 - 31 gp
09/10 - 76 gp
10/11 - 32 gp
11/12 - 47 gp

With the exception of 09/10 that doesn't look very good now does it? Some players in the NBA are simply more injury prone than others, and Chris Kaman is one of them. Now imagine that guy having to log extra duty minutes because there is nobody else at the position. If there was another starting capable center on the roster (which might of course still happen before the end of the offseason) it might be fine. Right now it is indeed cause for worry. You would just be fooling yourself by claiming otherwise.

But maybe a miracle happens, who knows?

Well first you have to factor in the fact that his last year and half he was with the Clippers they were hell bent on getting Deandre Jordan in the starting lineup and getting rid of Kaman. It's no surprise that he would come up with an "injury" so that Jordan could get time with the starters (and eventually take over the starting job). Then when he was traded to the Hornets he didn't want to play for them because they suck. Once he finally realized he needed to play in order to get paid he put up some really good numbers. unfortunately for him it was too late and people like you now consider him injury prone. It's because people consider him injury prone that the Mavs were able to get him on a cheap 1 year deal. So... thank you!

_Supreme_
07-15-2012, 03:28 AM
Wasn't it a $8M deal? That is neither cheap nor very expensive, but given all the overpaying that is going on everywhere you could say it is kind of cheap, depending on what you will actually get in return.

Not sure why Mavs fans are getting their panties up in a bunch about this. HE WILL MISS MANY GAMES. HE IS INJURY PRONE.

You are delusional if you think otherwise.

Kevj77
07-15-2012, 03:45 AM

Barea and Chandler weren't considered to be that great of players before that season. Everyone chose the Mavs to be knocked out of the playoffs that year.

Just goes to show no one can predict what pieces put a team "over the top".Fans underrate players, but a smart front office has to try to fill weaknesses to put a team over the top if they're close. The Mavs always needed defense and toughness. Chandler and even Stevenson added that. JJ was a good change of pace from a very old and slow, but great passing and improved 3 point shooting Kidd.

They let it all walk to chase free agents a year away. Always go for the repeat.

Young2Kinsler
07-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Wasn't it a $8M deal? That is neither cheap nor very expensive, but given all the overpaying that is going on everywhere you could say it is kind of cheap, depending on what you will actually get in return.

Not sure why Mavs fans are getting their panties up in a bunch about this. HE WILL MISS MANY GAMES. HE IS INJURY PRONE.

I'm so glad we have you, now we don't even have to watch the season unfold. Can you just give me the division winners/conference finals/champion now so I can put my bets in?

Mr.B
07-15-2012, 11:59 PM

You mean like Tyson Chandler? He was considered injury prone too. That is why the Mavs were able to get him for Eric Dampier. The fact is regardless of how many games he has missed in the past we have no idea what is going to happen this year, it's a new year. Kurt Thomas is another perfect example. When he played for the Mavs he was rarely on the court. As soon as he signed with the Knicks he has rarely been injured.

Oldmantrash
07-16-2012, 12:16 AM

If you saw the Mav fans coming into our forum during the Dewill battle, putting the Nets down , they deserve it.

Young2Kinsler
07-16-2012, 12:22 AM
If you saw the Mav fans coming into our forum during the Dewill battle, putting the Nets down , they deserve it.

I can promise you, those are the same type of idiots that these few Nets fans are. Anyone who came in your thread to talk **** or bait is just as ****ing stupid. But this is in the NBA forum where people are trying to just have a conversation, and PSD is just sitting by the wayside letting it go on. So if they are going to let this **** keep happening, I guess we have to put up with it.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-16-2012, 12:27 AM
I can promise you, those are the same type of idiots that these few Nets fans are. Anyone who came in your thread to talk **** or bait is just as ****ing stupid. But this is in the NBA forum where people are trying to just have a conversation, and PSD is just sitting by the wayside letting it go on. So if they are going to let this **** keep happening, I guess we have to put up with it.

Yeah. Don't say ALL the nets posters on PSD. It is only the three mentioned. But on back on topic:

Like the poster on the first page mentioned: good move to stay in playoff scene and keep Dirk happy by not losing games/rebuilding. They'll be able to clear out some cap space either this or next off-season when Free Agency dominates even more. They'll be a 6-8 seed this year, but could make moves in a year or two to come back towards the top 4 seeds again.

DitchDat
07-17-2012, 10:13 AM
I think their line-up is very strong:

Kaman
Dirk/Brand
Marion/Vince
Mayo/Jones
Collison/Roddy

That's still a good roster.

The Lakers (Kobe, Bynum, Nash, Gasol, Artest, Jamison...and Hill?) and Spurs (Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Diaw, S-Jax) will get there on collective experience, but the West is for the Thunder to lose.

JordansBulls
07-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Well the Mavs needed to make changes anyway. They weren't going to go anywhere with the team they had last season and they needed to get younger at that. They struggled with good teams last season. Now they will be better.