PDA

View Full Version : Rockets make Major play for Lin 3/$25M

torocan
07-13-2012, 04:38 PM
24m David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt
Rockets' need for a pg desperate; felt they had to change previous offer to make their best run at Lin.

28m David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt
Lin offer sheet did indeed change from previously reported four-year, $28M offer. Rockets really backloaded year three.

43m David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt
Lin will get $5M in year one, $5.225M in year two and $14.898M in year three. Rockets hoped that will discourage NY, but Knicks will match.

44m David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt
Source says that Jeremy Lin has officially signed three-year, $25.1M offer sheet with the Rockets. Knicks will have three days to match.

Looks like the Rockets changed their minds. They're going after Lin HARD.

The Knicks season just got ALOT more complicated. :facepalm:

waveycrockett
07-13-2012, 04:38 PM
frank isola ‏@fisolanydn
reports out of houston are that jeremy lin's offer is three years, $25 million. that's one mil for every start lin has ever made.

wow

D12 fan
07-13-2012, 04:40 PM
It's still the same deal

D12 fan
It's still the same deal

Badluck33
this will cause the NY anus to bleed in 3 years.

waveycrockett
Knicks are going to match this lol

torocan
07-13-2012, 04:41 PM
It's still the same deal

No, it's not.

Original deal discussed was 4 years/$28M, or 5/5/9.3/9.3 with a TO for year 4.

They jacked up year 3 by $6M.

EDUTEXANS
07-13-2012, 04:41 PM
It's still the same deal

no it's not. It's 15 million against their cap in the third year

StarvingKnick22
07-13-2012, 04:42 PM
damn thats to much for 25 games man

RonE Coleman
07-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Lmao... you people are so dumb... James Dolan does not care about spending money on a luxury tax.... The money Lin will bring in from the Asian community alone will still next him profits

StarvingKnick22
07-13-2012, 04:43 PM
wait i thought he already signed with the Knicks?

torocan
07-13-2012, 04:44 PM

There was nothing on paper, it was a verbal.

They are free to change it if both sides agree to the offer, or even if Houston just puts it in front of him and says "Sign this, or walk away..."

Sneaky SOB's...

waveycrockett
07-13-2012, 04:44 PM

Nope

RC3
07-13-2012, 04:45 PM
lol rockets trolling

nate2usmc
07-13-2012, 04:46 PM

They will sign him on Monday at 1159 pm.

Vincent
07-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Lmao... you people are so dumb... James Dolan does not care about spending money on a luxury tax.... The money Lin will bring in from the Asian community alone will still next him profits

Knicks will probably be over the luxury limit in year 3, which will make Lin's contract almost 30 million dollars.

30 million dollars isn't something to sneeze at, considering it's only for one player in addition to paying the rest of the roster 70 million.

driz
07-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Jersey sales alone in Asia will more than triple his money invested on the bloated contract.

waveycrockett
This roster looks like something out of a bad Isiah Thomas documentary

torocan
Knicks will probably be over the luxury limit in year 3, which will make Lin's contract almost 30 million dollars.

30 million dollars isn't something to sneeze at, considering it's only for one player in addition to paying the rest of the roster 70 million.

Knicks are over the Lux limit every year for the next 3 years, whether we sign Lin or not.

Houston is really going for the throat here, just like the Asik bid.

LongIslandIcedZ
This doesnt affect anything but the luxury tax penalty right? If thats the case, I couldnt care less. Even if the penalty is 30 million, Jeremy Lin will probably make that up on his own.

Super Asian Basketball Dunk

StarvingKnick22

i cant help but think that Derrick Rose is talking for your comments one i see your sig lol

RonE Coleman
07-13-2012, 04:51 PM

Go look at the luxury tax money Dolan spent on a lottery team that featured Jerome James then come talk to me.

EDUTEXANS
even if the Knicks match, Morey is screwing NY lol

BuddhaMONK
***** u houston...now my raps are stuck with fields

waveycrockett
Go look at the luxury tax money Dolan spent on a lottery team that featured Jerome James then come talk to me.

Not sure that is something to be proud of

Vincent
07-13-2012, 04:52 PM

I didn't say they weren't going to match, I was just stating how big of an impact it will be in year 3.

KniCks4LiFe
07-13-2012, 04:53 PM
My middle finger to Houston.

justinnum1
07-13-2012, 04:54 PM
why are knicks fans getting mad and acting surprised? everyone knew this was happening

RonE Coleman
07-13-2012, 04:55 PM
I didn't say they weren't going to match, I was just stating how big of an impact it will be in year 3.

Doesn't impact anything except the amount of the check Dolan signs. Knicks are and were going to be over the cap the next 3 years anyways.

jtrinaldi
07-13-2012, 04:56 PM
LOL!!!! First Asik, for $25,000,000 who isn't even that good. But now Linsanity...****ing over a team that that has the biggest homers on PSD :clap: and yourselves for that fact, if you end up with him.
Way to go houston. I am sure that Dwight would love to play with Lin:p

xnick5757
Knicks are going to be paying like 100+ million just in lux tax lol

NYYCowboys

Lol says the fan of the team that just gave a max deal to Brook "5 RPG" Lopez, traded for by far the most overpaid player in basketball in Joe Johnson, and gave up the 6th pick in the draft for the rights to drastically overpay and a soon to be decrepit Gerald Wallace. :facepalm:

LongIslandIcedZ
07-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Why do any Knick fans even care? We're gonna match and the only person thats gonna suffer because of it is James Dolan. We all hate him anyway.

TeamSeattle
07-13-2012, 04:58 PM
LOL!!!! First Asik, for $25,000,000 who isn't even that good. But now Linsanity...****ing over a team that that has the biggest homers on PSD :clap: and yourselves for that fact, if you end up with him.
Way to go houston. I am sure that Dwight would love to play with Lin:p

uh I think the heat fans take that x2 as much as we do. Were still not even that good.

Giannis94
that is linesane!

EDUTEXANS

lol

torocan
07-13-2012, 04:59 PM
why are knicks fans getting mad and acting surprised? everyone knew this was happening

The only reason it's surprising is there was NO word that they were going to do this. They had settled on 4 year/$28M as their offer, then suddenly this comes out with a $6M hike.

I was honestly surprised the initial offer was lower (4/$28), but I really didn't expect them to hike it again right at the actual signing.

Either way, another exciting FA season... :facepalm:

LOOTERX9
07-13-2012, 05:00 PM
let lin walk. he's to slow, a turnover machine and is bad at running the fastbreak, plus he wont last full season cause he will be injury prone

Jroz
07-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Still have no cap space and no point guard, every other guy is signed for 3 more years this is a no brainer..F the 3rd years tax issues, its our last year before everyone expires anyways, cant get another PG at this point so dont really have a choice but to match.

Robbw241
07-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Damn thats a lot of dough in year 3.

AKAYaReal
07-13-2012, 05:02 PM
In the end, the Knicks will have the last laugh. Houston can laugh now while its FA and cry when the season starts and every other team leaves them in the dust.

Happy bidding

gotoHcarolina52
07-13-2012, 05:03 PM

:laugh:

RonE Coleman
The funniest thing will be when the Rockets have Toney Douglas as their starting Point guard.

ahan88
How does a contract impact the cap? Is it the average that is applied to the cap or is it the structure of the contract that is applied to the cap?

If it's the structure, then why not give him $15M in year 1? Wouldn't that royally f the Knicks and not give them a chance to dump salary to compensate for Lin's inflated year 1? Or can the Knicks match regardless due to the average?

D12 fan
Houston thinking Lin/Dwight is enough to compete out west.lmao

Punk
God, the Rockets are such a pathetic franchise right now. This offer does nothing and they still won't even get him.

All this does is block a potential Lin/Fields trade for Paul if it were to ever happen. Seriously, Morey is ********.

sep11ie
07-13-2012, 05:04 PM

We did give you Lowry... Friends again?

knicksfan42
07-13-2012, 05:04 PM

No one is truly angry or at least no one has any reason to be. This doesn't change anything except for how much luxury tax Dolan is going to pay year 3. Our ability to sign players is not in anyway hampered by this.

knicksfan42
07-13-2012, 05:05 PM
All this does is block a potential Lin/Fields trade for Paul if it were to ever happen.

How? Lin is getting paid the same amount years 1 and 2.

sep11ie
God, the Rockets are such a pathetic franchise right now. This offer does nothing and they still won't even get him.

All this does is block a potential Lin/Fields trade for Paul if it were to ever happen. Seriously, Morey is ********.

Unless Morey wants a chance at Howard AND Paul...

jimm120
It's still the same deal

It's not the same deal at all.

Knicks could have offered 4yrs and $25 million.

Rockets offered 3yrs/$19 million with a TEAM OPTION 4th year that would have made it 4yrs/$28 million.

So the option is now off...but there is much more guaranteed money. The initial offer was much better for the Knicks.

EDUTEXANS

:facepalm:

BigBlueCrew
07-13-2012, 05:06 PM
No one is truly angry or at least no one has any reason to be. This doesn't change anything except for how much luxury tax Dolan is going to pay year 3. Our ability to sign players is not in anyway hampered by this.

exactly....the money is not coming out of our pockets. Maybe cablevision subscribers

KniCks4LiFe
07-13-2012, 05:08 PM
For Justin, it's not that we don't expect it. It's that it's annoying. B/c it's not like they are going to get him, so Morey makes Dolan pay 6 - 9M we don't care about that, it's the fact that Morey goes there and this w/ all the Dwight BS.

knicksfan42
exactly....the money is not coming out of our pockets. Maybe cablevision subscribers

Which I am.

EDUTEXANS
How does a contract impact the cap? Is it the average that is applied to the cap or is it the structure of the contract that is applied to the cap?

If it's the structure, then why not give him $15M in year 1? Wouldn't that royally f the Knicks and not give them a chance to dump salary to compensate for Lin's inflated year 1? Or can the Knicks match regardless due to the average?

they can't do that because the Arenas' rule

the contract will impact Houston's cap with the average, 8.3, 8.3, 8.3, and the Knicks' cap with the actual contract, 5, 5, 14.something

from my understanding...

NYYCowboys
Don't get why this is such a big deal...... Doesn't affect the team at all really. If anything I like it because now we won't match Landry Field's awful offer sheet, and James Dolan, who I hate, will suffer the consequences.

torocan
07-13-2012, 05:09 PM

1. Lin falls under GA (Gilbert Arena's) for the next 2 years, which means the most they can offer is $5M in the first 2 years. That's why it's backloaded with $15M in year 3.

2. The Cap hit is treated differently for the Team that Offers vs the Team that Matches an early bird RFA offer. For Houston, that 5/5/15 is the AVERAGE of all 3 years, or $8.3M/year. For the Knicks, the hit to the cap is AS IS, or $5M in years 1/2, and $15M in year 3. IE, especially painful for the Knicks as they're not only Over the lux tax threshold, but they'll get hit with "repeat offender" multipliers. So that $1 of lux tax might be $2 or $2.50 in year 1/2, but more like $3+ in year 3/4.

3. The Knicks can match regardless as Lin has his Early Bird rights, regardless of Cap limitations or Exception availability. Matching on Early Bird does not require a dime of Exceptions.

So yes, the Knicks can match, and it doesn't impact their roster flexibility in any way, it will just be Very, Very expensive.

sep11ie
07-13-2012, 05:12 PM

How much is Amare being paid?

jayjay33
07-13-2012, 05:14 PM
The knicks FO ****ed up....even though Lin had not SIGNED anything, the it was leaked what the offer was gonna be. The Knicks (at the least wooddson)let it be know they would match. Before anything was on paper. They were almost asking Houston to up there offer.

torocan
07-13-2012, 05:16 PM
The knicks FO ****ed up....even though Lin had not SIGNED anything, the it was leaked what the offer was gonna be. The Knicks (at the least wooddson)let it be know they would match. Before anything was on paper. They were almost asking Houston to up there offer.

Definitely some truth there. They shouldn't have publically said they would match "up to $1 billion".

It was like they were daring another team to hike Lin's contract offer...

KniCks4LiFe
07-13-2012, 05:16 PM

Yeh they definitely did gamble no one would make more than a MLE offer to him. I'm ngl about that. What they should have done was just extend him the MLE 5M per before the FA period began. Lin would have taken it.

jayjay33
07-13-2012, 05:18 PM

Or genius if he hopes to pair Howard with Paul.....

zB_#85
07-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Jersey sales alone in Asia will more than triple his money invested on the bloated contract.

how much of that does Dolan actually see though? Lin gets a cut, NBA gets a cut, Adidas gets a cut. Not sure how much the teams actually see :shrug:

D12 fan
07-13-2012, 05:20 PM

:punish:Give it up man the Knicks are not getting CP3.

teddygreen17
07-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Why do any Knick fans even care? We're gonna match and the only person thats gonna suffer because of it is James Dolan. We all hate him anyway.

Basically..I love the Knicks, but thats why they pay a GM. Let them figure it out...i'll just watch.

KniCks4LiFe
07-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Or genius if he hopes to pair Howard with Paul.....

touché :cool:

phoenix_bladen
07-13-2012, 05:22 PM

because what if "suprisingly" james dolan doesn't match ?

he's known to do stupid things like that

and also concerned about only 3 years and not a 4

if he does become really good he could leave for FA 1 year sooner

oak2455
07-13-2012, 05:23 PM
He made that in jerseys In one week.... This will be matched today

zB_#85
07-13-2012, 05:23 PM

not pathetic to me. If they want CP3 and Dwight (although very unlikely, and almost cute that they think they'll pull that off) then wouldn't it be smart to try and block a potential for CP3 to get into New York? Sounds more like a smart play and NYK fans just mad.

BALLER R
07-13-2012, 05:25 PM
in 3 years we are gonna be adding Lin to list of player over are being overpaid. I feel like this season he will drop back down to earth

jayjay33
07-13-2012, 05:27 PM

Definitely some truth there. They shouldn't have publically said they would match "up to $1 billion".

It was like they were daring another team to hike Lin's contract offer...

they should have played there cards to the vest and as my mom likes to say "cried poor mouth".

You beat the rockets at their own game. Let it be know that the deal is to much and that the knicks won't be matching. Then after the offer sheet is signed do a complete 180 and match. Lol

You never ever give the opposition any more info that you have to and if you can always use misdirection. Art of war when your strong, make them think your weak.

oak2455
07-13-2012, 05:28 PM
in 3 years we are gonna be adding Lin to list of player over are being overpaid. I feel like this season he will drop back down to earth

hey enjoy Fields:clap::clap::clap::clap:

ahan88
1. Lin falls under GA (Gilbert Arena's) for the next 2 years, which means the most they can offer is $5M in the first 2 years. That's why it's backloaded with $15M in year 3.

2. The Cap hit is treated differently for the Team that Offers vs the Team that Matches an early bird RFA offer. For Houston, that 5/5/15 is the AVERAGE of all 3 years, or $8.3M/year. For the Knicks, the hit to the cap is AS IS, or $5M in years 1/2, and $15M in year 3. IE, especially painful for the Knicks as they're not only Over the lux tax threshold, but they'll get hit with "repeat offender" multipliers. So that $1 of lux tax might be $2 or $2.50 in year 1/2, but more like $3+ in year 3/4.

3. The Knicks can match regardless as Lin has his Early Bird rights, regardless of Cap limitations or Exception availability. Matching on Early Bird does not require a dime of Exceptions.

So yes, the Knicks can match, and it doesn't impact their roster flexibility in any way, it will just be Very, Very expensive.

So it's essentially as painful for the Knicks as the Rockets could have made it. Gotcha. Many thanks

TheNumber37
All I hear is that lin comes off the books in 2015 with Melo, Amare, Chandler, Tyson, Kidd, and Camby.
By then, we'd have full bird rights for all of them. We could resign Melo, Chandler and Lin to max deals (not that we do for Chandler and lin, but we could). I see them both getting an extension. Lin, 4 years 45 mil by then. Chandler 2 years 25.

calibird707
07-13-2012, 05:29 PM

Are u high or stupid...oh wait your just hating! This roster is better than anything isiah ever put together...we will still have our mid level and minimums...who cares if they cross the tax threshold...its nobodys money but dolans.

torocan
07-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Knicks 'unhappy' about new Rockets offer sheet to Lin
4:28 PM, July 13, 2012 ι By MARC BERMAN

Anthony J. Causi

LAS VEGAS -- Jeremy Lin has signed a revamped Rockets offer sheet for three years and $25 million, according to a league source. All $25 million is guaranteed.

With the previous offer sheet Lin was to be guaranteed $18.5M of a four-year, $28.8M offer sheet. There is no fourth year on this deal.

The Knicks expect to receive the offer sheet soon and have 72 hours to match.

A league source said the Knicks were "unhappy'' at the change in the terms, but Houston was in its right because Lin wasn't able to sign the documents until July 11. A source said the Rockets were desperate because they've lost all their point guards and wanted to make it harder on the the Knicks.

The Knicks were originally expected to get the offer sheet two days ago but the Rockets dragged their feet amid reports the Knicks were planning to match it.

In this new deal, Lin will make $5M the first year, $5.2M in year two and the maximum $15M in year three.

In previous offer sheet Lin was to make $9.3 million in the third year. Sources said Lin was unhappy the third year was so low and his camp tried to get Houston to increase it.

The Knicks have played hardball with Lin, making him go out and seek an offer. It cost him a chance to practice with the U.S. Select Team as he withdrew July 5th to visit Houston.

Mike Woodson said this morning he hopes Lin will stop by the Knicks summer league practices to work out in the next week. Woodson said it was unfortunate he "decided not to play'' in the Select Team but understood it was because he didn't want "to get hurt'' before his contract was official.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicksblog/lin_signs_rockets_offer_sheet_knicks_y6Y25w9GfZFq4 JHYCF0yJJ

Sounds like this was all planned in case they couldn't get another good PG.

Drag their feet, and make a play on Lin if they couldn't get what they want.

Sneaky SOB's...

Kashmir13579
07-13-2012, 05:31 PM
This is too stressful.

Quietmoney
let lin walk. he's to slow, a turnover machine and is bad at running the fastbreak, plus he wont last full season cause he will be injury prone

So who should we use as a starting point guard?? Want Raymond Felton back? :facepalm:

waveycrockett
Are u high or stupid...oh wait your just hating! This roster is better than anything isiah ever put together...we will still have our mid level and minimums...who cares if they cross the tax threshold...its nobodys money but dolans.

true you guys have a playoff win now

Chronz
07-13-2012, 05:32 PM
LOL thats why you never say we will match anything. Let them make the offer and match it without saying a word.

oak2455
07-13-2012, 05:32 PM
still will be matched

DoMeFavors
07-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Not to sound racist but if this kid was white or black he wouldnt get a contract like this.

KniCks4LiFe
07-13-2012, 05:35 PM
This is too stressful.

WTF would the Knicks be unhappy for? they know that contract was coming. STFU and pay it. There is no ifs here. Kash, this FO. :facepalm:

nate2usmc
07-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Us Knicks fans should be the last ones to call another franchise GM, especially Morey, dumb lol.

This is Lin's representation's doing, according to Ian O'Connor, THEY wanted the last year to be upped, not Houston. And ofcourse, Morey would be like "Sure! That's one less competitor for CP3!" Knicks are the only ones getting screwed and so are the Knicks fans who probably have to deal with increase of ticket prices and Cablevision prices.

Lin will make his money but if he doesn't live up to the hype in year 3, he will be booed outta NY. Rich, yes, but his public persona would take a beating. Oh well :shrug:

KniCks4LiFe
07-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Not to sound racist but if this kid was white or black he wouldnt get a contract like this.

would he be the same kid out of Harvard? the only reason he didn't get drafted or go to a basketball school was b/c he has squinty eyes and isn't from the hood.

jayjay33
07-13-2012, 05:37 PM
LOL thats why you never say we will match anything. Let them make the offer and match it without saying a word.

Yep said like 3 pgs ago.....Knicks FO played them selves. Never give the opposition anymore info than you have to. Lol

Kashmir13579
07-13-2012, 05:38 PM
WTF would the Knicks be unhappy for? they know that contract was coming. STFU and pay it. There is no ifs here. Kash, this FO. :facepalm:

PAY THE MAN!!! My God, they are trying to kill me K4L.

Now i have to sweat this out for 3 days? I am going to lose it if he walks.

Kashmir13579
07-13-2012, 05:38 PM
When have the Knicks ever played their cards right? Not since i've been a fan.

Quietmoney
07-13-2012, 05:39 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicksblog/lin_signs_rockets_offer_sheet_knicks_y6Y25w9GfZFq4 JHYCF0yJJ

Sounds like this was all planned in case they couldn't get another good PG.

Drag their feet, and make a play on Lin if they couldn't get what they want.
t
Sneaky SOB's...

It doesn't matter, Knicks will match it if it was 50 mill! Lin is the point guard of the future and a marketing cash cow.

nate2usmc
07-13-2012, 05:41 PM
When have the Knicks ever played their cards right? Not since i've been a fan.

Drafting Shumpert, Landry, Ariza, WC, signing JR for 2.8 mil and Jason kidd are the only good moves that have happened in the last decade lmao :o :facepalm:

oak2455
It doesn't matter, Knicks will match it if it was 50 mill! Lin is the point guard of the future and a marketing cash cow.

you get it.....also as soon as its submitted it will be matched ....sorry Houston will have a probloem:D

KniCks4LiFe
PAY THE MAN!!! My God, they are trying to kill me K4L.

Now i have to sweat this out for 3 days? I am going to lose it if he walks.

I swear I can't even bone my girl clean minded now. Not until this **** is over with. Pay the man, he brought back MSG Network to most of NY, just shut up and do it. :mad:

LOOTERX9
07-13-2012, 05:42 PM
So who should we use as a starting point guard?? Want Raymond Felton back? :facepalm:

ny needs to be patient and not match this contract cause ny aint winning title next year anyway. just wait for cp3 and make a run at him. the team knicks are putting together are a bunch of overpaid mix of old guys, stars that don't mix, and unproven young players getting huge contracts. it will not end well if this continues

KniCks4LiFe
07-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Drafting Shumpert, Landry, Ariza, WC, signing JR for 2.8 mil and Jason kidd are the only good moves that have happened in the last decade lmao :o :facepalm:

the only franchise impacting move there is Shumpert. Com'on homie.:facepalm:

SouthSideRookie
07-13-2012, 05:43 PM

http://youtu.be/zyu2jAD6sdo

TeamSeattle
07-13-2012, 05:44 PM
enough with the cp3 talk, its over.

John Walls Era
07-13-2012, 05:44 PM
If any owner deserves to have to pay more lux tax its Dolan.

KniCks4LiFe
07-13-2012, 05:45 PM
ny needs to be patient and not match this contract cause ny aint winning title next year anyway. just wait for cp3 and make a run at him. the team knicks are putting together are a bunch of overpaid mix of old guys, stars that don't mix, and unproven young players getting huge contracts. it will not end well if this continues

since when are we under the cap? you can't get CP3 unless he takes a low level contract. You don't win anything letting Lin go.

KniCks4LiFe
07-13-2012, 05:46 PM
If any owner deserves to have to pay more lux tax its Dolan.

I agree.

Beantownsboss
He isnt worth that type of money, and 14.89 mil in year three thats like 5 mik more than rondo who is a top 4 pg in the nba. Lin prob aint even top 15 or 20

torocan
Us Knicks fans should be the last ones to call another franchise GM, especially Morey, dumb lol.

This is Lin's representation's doing, according to Ian O'Connor, THEY wanted the last year to be upped, not Houston. And ofcourse, Morey would be like "Sure! That's one less competitor for CP3!" Knicks are the only ones getting screwed and so are the Knicks fans who probably have to deal with increase of ticket prices and Cablevision prices.

Lin will make his money but if he doesn't live up to the hype in year 3, he will be booed outta NY. Rich, yes, but his public persona would take a beating. Oh well :shrug:

No GM puts a monster contract out unless they're willing to Pay it, just in case the other team does NOT match.

We're not talking about chump change here, we're talking about $6M MORE in year 3.

Morey knew what he was doing.

I could easily see it going down like this...

Morey : We still want you. What will it take?
Lin's Agent : Max.

If you're Lin, you can't NOT sign this contract. Nobody walks away from $6M in their first contract.

nate2usmc
07-13-2012, 05:50 PM
the only franchise impacting move there is Shumpert. Com'on homie.:facepalm:

Oh no! I was being very sarcastic lol. I wasn't dissin him. It's truly pathetic. Our Knicks made probably 10 good moves since 2000.

nate2usmc
07-13-2012, 05:51 PM
No GM puts a monster contract out unless they're willing to Pay it, just in case the other team does NOT match.

We're not talking about chump change here, we're talking about $6M MORE in year 3.

Morey knew what he was doing.

I could easily see it going down like this...

Morey : We still want you. What will it take?
Lin's Agent : Max.

If you're Lin, you can't NOT sign this contract. Nobody walks away from $6M in their first contract.

Agreed.

Beantownsboss
07-13-2012, 05:51 PM
He's definitely worth the 5 mil, he's probably a top 15 point guard in the league, if not he is close to it.

KniCks4LiFe
07-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Oh no! I was being very sarcastic lol. I wasn't dissin him. It's truly pathetic. Our Knicks made probably 10 good moves since 2000.

my bad.:D

nate2usmc
07-13-2012, 05:52 PM
enough with the cp3 talk, its over.

Thank you. He's gonna be a Clipper for the next 5 years.

nate2usmc
07-13-2012, 05:55 PM
my bad.:D

lol it's all good!

SteveNash
07-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Morey is hilarious, Knicks are really doomed, only good news is that all their contracts will be expiring the same year.

Hulk6
07-13-2012, 05:57 PM
If the knicks dont match he will play with the rockets

trini_knickfan
07-13-2012, 05:58 PM

trust me that crazy b***h Dolan will match!

Verbal Christ
07-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Knicks fan is mad!!

Move out of your mommies basement before you call a millionaire an idiot mmmkay

Morey- MIT graduate, copped trophy wife, making MILS and playing u suckers daily!!

LongIslandIcedZ
07-13-2012, 06:00 PM

Thank you captain obvious. Jk lol

Knicks will match, Lin makes the team more than he costs them.

FOBolous
07-13-2012, 06:06 PM
instead of trying to lowball Lin and daring him to "test the market," the Knicks should've just offered him a contract straight up. I'm sure Lin would've agreed to anything reasonable NYC offered him. instead, the they gambled, and this is the result. I hope Lin goes the the Rockets, not because i'm a Rockets fan, but because that will be what's best for his career. With the Rockets, he's able to be "Linsanity" without any restraint. In NYC, he will have to to deal with Carmelo, Linsanity's killer, and his lover, Woodson.

justinnum1
07-13-2012, 06:06 PM
hollinger
Follow up to my follow up: Even w/o repeater penalty, Lin's 3rd yr likely nets nearly $1M for every other owner.

wow!!!!

so lin makes 15mil in his final year, and will cost 30mil in lux tax that year:speechless:

LongIslandIcedZ
07-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Lin is going to be one attractive expiring contract in year 3. Give this man his focking money

justinnum1
07-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Lin is going to be one attractive expiring contract in year 3. Give this man his focking money

you already planning on trading him? lol

oak2455
07-13-2012, 06:11 PM
look who's here shocking!!!!

LongIslandIcedZ
07-13-2012, 06:25 PM

Of course not. If he doesn't live up to the contract its not a bad option. I thought that was obvious

Chronz
07-13-2012, 06:25 PM
I love Giada De Laurentiis

torocan
07-13-2012, 06:26 PM

If he seriously underperforms in year 2, the Knicks might have to... on the other hand, if he doesn't completely suck and he's still making the team obscene $$$, it's hard to see Dolan letting him go either.

Not to mention, if CP comes free, Lin might be their only decent size contract available for a trading Chip. Lin + players/cash/picks might be what you need to make it all fit.

Lots of possibilities moving forward...

Weezy
07-13-2012, 06:28 PM
i love giada de laurentiis

lol me too

justinnum1
07-13-2012, 06:29 PM
look who's here shocking!!!!

Oh hey, my #1 fan boy. How's it hanging?

FriedTofuz
07-13-2012, 06:31 PM

Thanks for stateing the obvious? #postpading

trini_knickfan
07-13-2012, 06:33 PM
i love giada de laurentiis

x2

KniCks4LiFe
07-13-2012, 06:37 PM
x2

xTHIS!

Nycbball08
07-13-2012, 06:45 PM

Didn't you know that Dolans blood is "green"..

elledaddy
07-13-2012, 06:47 PM
So I guess the knicks are the ONLY team that's gonna be in the luxury tax huh? Good thing Dolan and the Knicks made the most money in the NBA last year according to Forbes

YashBoone
07-13-2012, 06:48 PM
xTHIS!

^ we almost had a nip slip in that sig.

The best is when she bounces those things when pounding some meat, then make her orgasm face when talking about butter.......

Thank you giada.

Badluck33
07-13-2012, 06:49 PM
So then the NBA will be the richest major sport in North America in 3 years?

KNICKS and MIAMI alone will be hauling dump trucks of money to NBA headquarters in 2015

D12 fan
07-13-2012, 07:07 PM
^ we almost had a nip slip in that sig.

The best is when she bounces those things when pounding some meat, then make her orgasm face when talking about butter.......

Thank you giada.

Get a room in some lotion and get to work buddy.lol

jsh3697
07-13-2012, 07:14 PM
if lin was any other race he would be getting nowhere near that. Teams know how much revenue and worldwide exposure he brings to a franchise (China). Rockets get lin then howard in hopes the worldwide deals and exposure howard will get will convince him in houston. just like tmac got with yao ming. if nyk matches they cant trade for paul and houston has a shot to sign paul in the off season and pair him with dwight. All wishful thinking on moreys part

GrumpyOldMan
07-13-2012, 07:40 PM
The Knicks were going to match no matter what. The only thing that this restructuring has that really hurts them is the team option for the fourth year is gone. Sure they will be way over the cap in year 3, but it gives me hope that as a Raptor fan they may match the Fields contract for more depth. It is apparent that they are going for it and money seems to be no object to them.

Losoway
07-13-2012, 07:46 PM
the knicks do not care about luxury tax . the 25 games lin played made the knicks sooooooooo much money

why would they not match? stop trolling haters

Verbal Christ
07-13-2012, 07:59 PM
So morey by restructuring the offer put a million dollars in each owners pocket?? Haha

What do you call a guy who robs from the rich and gives to the rich?

fadedmario
07-13-2012, 08:00 PM
lol - Lin isn't worth 30 million a year. And that is what he'll be paid in year 3 if NY matches. Everyone saying on here that the luxury tax is no big deal is clearly ignorant.

knicksfan42
07-13-2012, 08:08 PM
lol - Lin isn't worth 30 million a year. And that is what he'll be paid in year 3 if NY matches. Everyone saying on here that the luxury tax is no big deal is clearly ignorant.

Lin is getting paid 5 million a year his first two years only his 3rd year is he getting paid 15 million. I believe the 30 million dollar penalty will only be incurred his 3rd year.

And yes the luxury tax is no big deal to James Dolan. During the 2000s the Knicks had the largest payroll in the NBA for a number of years, 120 million I believe at one point.

Lin will make Dolan a ton of money too.

rhino17
07-13-2012, 08:10 PM
if lin was any other race he would be getting nowhere near that. Teams know how much revenue and worldwide exposure he brings to a franchise (China). Rockets get lin then howard in hopes the worldwide deals and exposure howard will get will convince him in houston. just like tmac got with yao ming. if nyk matches they cant trade for paul and houston has a shot to sign paul in the off season and pair him with dwight. All wishful thinking on moreys part

Houston already has the Chinese market. Despite Yao retiring, the Rockets are still far and away the most popular team in China and its not changing any time soon

brandt
07-13-2012, 08:10 PM

And when the Knicks do match, the Rockets won't be the ones looking like idiots anymore because not only would the Knicks already have been overpaying in the first place but Morey just made them pay a Sh** load more. lol!!!

torocan
07-13-2012, 08:11 PM

That's not what he'll be paid, that's what he'll COST.

Luxury Tax doesn't go into Lin's pocket, it gets spread to the other teams.

Whether Lin is in NY or Houston, Lin gets paid the same. The only difference is how much Houston or NY pays.

AddiX
07-13-2012, 08:11 PM
So morey by restructuring the offer put a million dollars in each owners pocket?? Haha

What do you call a guy who robs from the rich and gives to the rich?

What so you call a guy who had Lin, Dragic, And Lowry, and now has Tony Douglas? :facepalm:

knicksfan42
07-13-2012, 08:13 PM
What so you call a guy who had Lin, Dragic, And Lowry, and now has Tony Douglas? :facepalm:

Stupid

fadedmario
07-13-2012, 08:17 PM
That's not what he'll be paid, that's what he'll COST.

Luxury Tax doesn't go into Lin's pocket, it gets spread to the other teams.

Whether Lin is in NY or Houston, Lin gets paid the same. The only difference is how much Houston or NY pays.

That's what I meant.

Lin's body of work isn't big enough to warrant this contract IMO.

Before he got injured he was already starting to slow down when teams started figuring him out. He's also a Turn Over machine. Can't be good for a team that needs to gel.

AddiX
07-13-2012, 08:18 PM

Wow, how are you going to call anyone ignorant?

The exclusive TV contract that Dolan will receive in china to show all Knick games and replay them, next to jersey sales should pay for the luxury tax by itself.

Not to mention Knicks will overtake the rockets as the most famous team in China, you can't put a price on that.

The luxury tax is a non-issue. You guys all need to take some marketing and business classes before running your mouth about a luxury tax.

More-Than-Most
07-13-2012, 08:25 PM
lmfao I remember knicks fans saying that the last deal was a great deal and they thought it was going to be 3 years 25 million... LMFAO... They went on to say how great the last deal was and how bad the 3 years 25 mill would be...GUESS WHAT...ITS THAT SAME HORRID DEAL AGAIN....AND I AM SITTING HERE LMFAO BEFORE AND NOW.

fadedmario
07-13-2012, 08:25 PM
[/B]

Wow, how are you going to call anyone ignorant?

The exclusive TV contract that Dolan will receive in china to show all Knick games and replay them, next to jersey sales should pay for the luxury tax by itself.

Not to mention Knicks will overtake the rockets as the most famous team in China, you can't put a price on that.

The luxury tax is a non-issue. You guys all need to take some marketing and business classes before running your mouth about a luxury tax.

Then what you're saying is the Knicks only care about being the most famous team, making money, and not winning? Guess that's why they haven't won a title in over 40 years.

SouthSideRookie
07-13-2012, 08:27 PM

Connect the dots man, it'll blow your mind.

brandt
07-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Stupid

Maybe, but he still made the Knicks pay 6 million more than they wanted to assuming the Knicks match it which they probably will. NY got played. lol.

oak2455
07-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Oh hey, my #1 fan boy. How's it hanging?

You're in every thread your count doesn't lie:D

knicksfan42
07-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Maybe, but he still made the Knicks pay 6 million more than they wanted to assuming the Knicks match it which they probably will. NY got played. lol.

Well Houston has been getting played all offseason. Lost Lowry for a restricted first rounder. Lost Dragic. Lost out on Lin. Acquired Toney Douglas in a S&T for Camby; yes any deal which results in the acquisition of Toney Douglas is one in which the team acquiring him is "getting played. They might lose out on Asik. They amnestied Scola. If anything that 6 million is a reward for allowing us to get Camby and sign Kidd.

Punk
07-13-2012, 08:43 PM
We will match it but the thing that screws us isn't the tax or 3rd year. It's the fact we could actually have a shot at trading Lin, Fields + fillers for Chris Paul at the trade deadline. Now, Lin's 3rd year will make it harder to get Sterling to take Lin. If Houston gets Dwight, they will go hard for Paul to pair with him and this move is to really screw us over as competition as well as try and steal Lin because they gutted their roster.

RonE Coleman
07-13-2012, 08:45 PM
We will match it but the thing that screws us isn't the tax or 3rd year. It's the fact we could actually have a shot at trading Lin, Fields + fillers for Chris Paul at the trade deadline. Now, Lin's 3rd year will make it harder to get Sterling to take Lin. If Houston gets Dwight, they will go hard for Paul to pair with him and this move is to really screw us over as competition as well as try and steal Lin because they gutted their roster.

No I don't believe the cap hit to the clippers would be the same as it is to us. It would be 8.3 a year i believe.... could be wrong though

Cromedome
07-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Lin should be playing in the summer league right now.

Team usa select?

knicksfan42
07-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Then what you're saying is the Knicks only care about being the most famous team, making money, and not winning? Guess that's why they haven't won a title in over 40 years.

No that's not what he's saying at all. What he's saying is that you're in no position to be calling anyone ignorant and then proceeds to pawn your stupid assertion that Lin costing Dolan 30 million his final contract year is a big deal.

We are already over the soft cap and thus this deal doesn't in anyway hamper the Knicks ability to make moves. So it doesn't matter if we pay Lin the absolute minimum or the max, because all that's going to affect is how much Dolan pays in luxury tax.

Evolution23
07-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Hey guys I just want every one to know, James Dolan is paying for Lin.

fadedmario
07-13-2012, 08:49 PM
No that's not what he's saying at all. What he's saying is that you're in no position to be calling anyone ignorant and then proceeds to pawn your stupid assertion that Lin costing Dolan 30 million his final contract year is a big deal.

We are already over the soft cap and thus this deal doesn't in anyway hamper the Knicks ability to make moves. So it doesn't matter if we pay Lin the absolute minimum or the max, because all that's going to affect is how much Dolan pays in luxury tax.

I find it funny that fans on here claim to know that the owners don't mind paying the tax when it will be higher than ever for teams that can't keep the roster under control.

justinnum1
07-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Hey guys I just want every one to know, James Dolan is paying for Lin.

Thank you for telling everyone what we already know.

torocan
07-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Lin's body of work isn't big enough to warrant this contract IMO.

And his slowing down had nothing to do with his going from the #1 to the #3 scoring option, the change from a fast offense to a half-court offense, and his reduction in minutes by 20%...

$8.3M/year is an overpay based upon pure play, not a steep overpay. It's probably about right for a small market premium.

As for the $30M argument, his marketing value would be something the Knicks FO has to value...

knicksfan42
07-13-2012, 08:52 PM
I find it funny that fans claim to know that the owners don't mind paying the tax on here.

Evidence shows us that many owners don't. Like Addix pointed out Lin is going to make Dolan a **** ton more money than Dolan is going to be paying in luxury tax.

AddiX
07-13-2012, 08:52 PM

That's not what I said at all, your inability to use proper rhetoric while calling others ignorant and changing the subject exposes you don't have a clue WTF your talking about, instead you and lean on insults and calling others ignorant to boost your own ego.

Try harder...

fadedmario
07-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Isn't it an inflated $$$ roster that got the Knicks in trouble last time. History repeating itself. How far did it set you guys back last time? But yeah, it's no big deal because Dolan doesn't mind paying the tax.

Will Lin make you guys a legit Title Contender? If not, feels a little like the Isiah era again.

RonE Coleman
07-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Isn't it an inflated $$$ roster that got the Knicks in trouble last time. History repeating itself. How far did it set you guys back last time? But yeah, it's no big deal because Dolan doesn't mind paying the tax.

Will Lin make you guys a legit Title Contender? If not, feels a little like the Isiah era again.

Lmao... read up on the CBA before making such stupid statements. You have no idea what your even talking about. Every contract on the Knicks now is expiring in 2014. The only people on roster in 2015 will be Novak, Shumpert and whoever the Knicks draft in 2013.

Good job. Good Effort :facepalm:

Evolution23
07-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Thank you for telling everyone what we already know.

Apparently some people don't know that.

Evolution23
07-13-2012, 08:59 PM

Explain how this is any thing like Isiah. I would love to hear this...

torocan
07-13-2012, 09:01 PM

Honestly, I don't think Lin makes us a contender this coming year, however we have an outside shot with some luck/untimely injuries to Miami. If he grows enough, it's *possible* in the 2 years after that he could make us competitive.

The real question for the Knicks FO is not whether Lin can carry the Knicks to a Chip next year, but how awful would the Knicks be without him?

Who CAN they get given our bloated contracts and cap/lux tax situation?

And if they have to make do with Kidd/Prigioni, do the Knicks really want to waste a year with over $70M+ on the books and have even LESS chance of getting into contention?

It's not just the upside of Lin (which may be substantial), it's the downside of NOT having Lin given our restrictions over the next 3 years.

If you had $70M+ in salaries riding on a team, and you didn't see another PG option in sight, do you waste an entire year with an aging STAT/Melo/Chandler to save a few bucks? Or do you take the hit, and gamble that maybe, just maybe, Lin can become the player you hope he will be?

I know what I'd do... 100% of non contention, vs a shot a *possible* contention... I'll take Lin.

knicksfan42

It wasn't the inflated roster that ****ed us, it was poor management. Many teams have had "inflated" rosters and succeeded.

Does the amount we pay Lin in anyway affect our ability to make moves? If not then you don't know what the **** you are talking about.

If you want to check out the Knicks 2005-2006 roster here it is: http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/NYK/2006.html

Isaiah era? Naw not even close.

oak2455
This is a funny thread, you have your regular trolls baiting like usual........funny thing is the Knicks knew this would or could happen.... So they let his value be set, and this isnt a shock what so ever ..... but I guess it is to some ...... :)

fadedmario
07-13-2012, 09:06 PM
You know what's funny - I actually like NY's team. Just am not sold on Lin being the right PG for this team.

Your cap situation is better than I thought also.

fadedmario
07-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Nash would have been nice on this team (even if it was just a few years). I think Nash would have fit NY's team much better than LA's.

oak2455
07-13-2012, 09:10 PM
You know what's funny - I actually like NY's team. Just am not sold on Lin being the right PG for this team.

everyone expires in 3 years:clap::clap:

Haeloine
07-13-2012, 09:16 PM
woa.. big contract for lin man

brandt
07-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Well Houston's been getting played all offseason. Lost Lowry for a restricted first rounder. Lost Dragic. Lost out on Lin. Acquired Toney Douglas in a S&T for Camby (yes any deal which results in the acquisition of Toney Douglas is one in which the team acquiring him is "getting played." They might lose out on Asik. They amnestied Scola. If anything that 6 million is a reward for allowing us to get Camby and sign Kidd.

Out of all those things you mentiond, the Lowry trade was the only one the Rocket's got played for. How did they get played by Making NY pay 6 mil more for Lin? How did they get played by losing Dragic? They didn't, they just didn't try hard enough to keep him. Camby is 38 years old and didn't even score over 300 points last season, you can have him. Yes, they amnestied Scola but how did they get played? That was just a stupid decision on Morey's part. The Rockets have more options than anyone in the NBA right now with a ton of draft picks and money. So just because they make a couple of bad moves here and there doesn't mean they can't be contenders in the very near future.

KaganRS
07-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Explain how this is any thing like Isiah. I would love to hear this...

I think what were trying to say is that from an outsider's perspective it looks as though your team's management is throwing together great parts on paper. But do these parts fit well together ?

The cap situation isn't quite as bad - and the chemistry isn't quite as bad as the Isiah years - but in terms of comparison they are slowly building a roster of pieces that don't mesh well together.

I'd like to see New York go after more Tyson Chandler types. Not saying Lin isn't one of them - more so pointing towards one of Stoudemire and Anthony - one of those two will have to be moved for your final pieces - don't you think ?!?!

EDUTEXANS
07-13-2012, 09:23 PM
If you want to check out the Knicks 2005-2006 roster here it is: http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/NYK/2006.html

Isaiah era? Naw not even close.

good times huh? man that was money in the trash

Kashmir13579
07-13-2012, 09:27 PM

There will come a point in time where Lin is taken seriously. Many who watched every single start are confident he's the real deal. A lot of people saw the highlights and Heat game and think they have a real opinion.

knickfan33
07-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Its the same offer he got before , now he jsut signed it.. Knicks will match, people don't seem to get it,...

The rockets and knicks have worked this all out already, knicks told the rockets what to offer lin, so another team wouldnt come in and offer more... Thats why the the knicks gave them so much in camby deal.

Jarvo
07-13-2012, 09:49 PM
If I were the Knicks let him walk, Yeah he is gonna bring in alot of cash from the asians and all that but are you trying to win championships or be a 2nd round team at best?

flatbush knicks
07-13-2012, 10:02 PM
lmao wats the big deal if it was a 4 year deal then i would understand but 3 years aint bad if anything if he sucks then we have 14 mil expjring and yes we still have a shot ar cp3 if the clippers suck next year

waveycrockett
07-13-2012, 10:05 PM
lmao wats the big deal if it was a 4 year deal then i would understand but 3 years aint bad if anything if he sucks then we have 14 mil expjring and yes we still have a shot ar cp3 if the clippers suck next year

via miracle?

knicksfan42
07-13-2012, 10:46 PM

Sold on him or not, he's the best we can get and we don't lose anything by gambling on him, because in three years everyone is off the payroll anyway. Low risk high reward.

oak2455
07-13-2012, 10:46 PM
There will come a point in time where Lin is taken seriously. Many who watched every single start are confident he's the real deal. A lot of people saw the highlights and Heat game and think they have a real opinion.

agreed:clap::clap::clap:

oak2455
07-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Sold on him or not, he's the best we can get and we don't lose anything by gambling on him, because in three years everyone is off the payroll anyway. Low risk high reward.

agree again!!!

flatbush knicks
07-13-2012, 10:59 PM
via miracle?

y so bitter i taught d12 was going to the nets

Losoway
07-14-2012, 12:10 AM
lin better play great this season

or else he will be the next scape goat for Forums hate

beasted86
07-14-2012, 01:05 AM
In 2014/15 the Knicks are going to pay out the tail in luxury tax if they match this.

Between Amare, Melo, Chandler, Lin, Camby, Shumpert and Novak, my rough math puts that group at a combined $90M for 6 players.

beasted86
07-14-2012, 01:08 AM

Everyone who?

You will have 7 players under contract making $90M, and still need to fill up the rest of the roster.

flatbush knicks
07-14-2012, 01:41 AM
Everyone who?

You will have 7 players under contract making $90M, and still need to fill up the rest of the roster.

:facepalm: everyone is off the books in three years besides novak

D12 fan
07-14-2012, 01:47 AM

Fill out the roster.

Reyes6
07-14-2012, 01:47 AM
Early termination options are available for Carmelo and Stat... but it looks like a messy financial situation.

Cano-Montero...
07-14-2012, 01:50 AM

i think u mean after 3 years or 3 season...

flatbush knicks
07-14-2012, 02:07 AM
no dude said in 3 years not meaning in year 3 an even in year 3we'lll have 4 large expiring contracts

beasted86
07-14-2012, 01:49 PM

I don't know where you fans are getting your false information. So I'll just tell you my source is Sham Sports, which is by far the most accurate and detailed as far as player options, contract incentives, non-guarantees, and so forth of all of the NBA player contract websites.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/knicks.jsp

This clearly shows for the 2014-2015 season (3 years from now):
Carmelo Anthony $24,351,924 (ETO)
Amare Stoudemire $23,410,988 (ETO)
Tyson Chandler $14,596,888

Total: $62,359,800

Unless Knick fans expect Amare and Carmelo both to invoke their opt out, and not sign with the team, and Chandler to retire. You will have these guys under contract.

That $62M doesn't include the team option on Shumpert's rookie deal which is only $2.9M. I expect that to be picked up. Next if it is matched, Lin would add $14.9M. Novak should be making approx. $4M that season, and Camby would add another approx. $5M that year. As you see this totals to $89.4M which is where I came up with the $90M figure.

Now that I've spelled out my details, I'd like to know where you came with this idea ":facepalm: everyone is off the books in three years besides novak".

beasted86
07-14-2012, 01:52 PM
no dude said in 3 years not meaning in year 3 an even in year 3we'lll have 4 large expiring contracts

If Carmelo, Amare, and Chandler don't have enough value worth the Knicks keeping them by then in 2015... what value will other teams find in these players that they will make a trade where they are the ones taking back more salary, and not the Knicks?

The greatest likelihood is that the Knicks have these guys still under contract in 2015, or have other guys in their place who are making as much or more.

knicksfan42
07-14-2012, 01:53 PM
I don't know where you fans are getting your false information. So I'll just tell you my source is Sham Sports, which is by far the most accurate and detailed as far as player options, contract incentives, non-guarantees, and so forth of all of the NBA player contract websites.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/knicks.jsp

This clearly shows for the 2014-2015 season (3 years from now):
Carmelo Anthony $24,351,924 (ETO)
Amare Stoudemire $23,410,988 (ETO)
Tyson Chandler $14,596,888

Total: $62,359,800

Unless Knick fans expect Amare and Carmelo both to invoke their opt out, and not sign with the team, and Chandler to retire. You will have these guys under contract.

That $62M doesn't include the team option on Shumpert's rookie deal which is only $2.9M. I expect that to be picked up. Next if it is matched, Lin would add $14.9M. Novak should be making approx. $4M that season, and Camby would add another approx. $5M that year. As you see this totals to $89M which is where I came up with the $90M figure.

Now that I've spelled out my details, I'd like to know where you came with this idea ":facepalm: everyone is off the books in three years besides novak".

Huh the site you give shows that they are off the books in 3 seasons. By the 2015 off season they are off the books.

beasted86
07-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Huh the site you give shows that they are off the books in 3 seasons. By the 2015 off season they are off the books.

I can't tell if you are really serious?

This whole thread is about the potential luxury tax in the final season of Lin's offer sheet which is 2014-15, where the luxury tax will ramp up to approx 2x+ by way of the new tax tiers, and the Knicks being a repeater.

I really don't see how that isn't clear or what you have been reading in this thread.

knicksfan42
07-14-2012, 02:04 PM
I can't tell if you are really serious?

This whole thread is about the potential luxury tax in the final season of Lin's offer sheet which is 2014-15, where the luxury tax will ramp up to approx 2x+ by way of the new tax tiers, and the Knicks being a repeater.

I really don't see how that isn't clear or what you have been reading in this thread.

Are you serious? Three year from today is: July 14, 2015. As in the offseason before the 2015-2016 season. By then Lin, Amare, Melo, and Chandler come off the books.

KnickaBocka.44
07-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Are you serious? Three year from today is: July 14, 2015. As in the offseason before the 2015-2016 season. By then Lin, Amare, Melo, and Chandler come off the books.

Right, but the Tax being discussed would supposedly start in the season prior to that.

knicksfan42
07-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Right, but the Tax being discussed would supposedly start in the season prior to that.

Ok I understand.

beasted86
07-14-2012, 02:08 PM

Yeah, I was kind of hoping you weren't that unaware of the discussion, but it seems you are.

But if you really do want to get into this lame, off-topic discussion.... to get really technical, this is when the luxury tax is paid anyway, in the offseason in July following the end of the 2014-15 season that ends June 30th. So whichever discussion you are having (I have no clue at this point), you are wrong whichever way you want to go.

ewmania
07-14-2012, 02:10 PM
LOL were over the cap anyway so it really makes no difference

knicksfan42
07-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I was kind of hoping you weren't that unaware of the discussion, but it seems you are.

But if you really do want to get into this lame, off-topic discussion.... to get really technical, this is when the luxury tax is paid anyway, in the offseason in July following the end of the 2014-15 season that ends June 30th. So whichever discussion you are having (I have no clue at this point), you are wrong whichever way you want to go.

I am aware I just don't understand the point. The fact that the Knicks are going to be paying a ton in luxury tax payments during year three of Lin's contract is known by like everybody.

Captain Moroni
07-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Interesting part of this discussion is that no one knows what the future holds.
If Lin goes to Houston and puts up the same numbers he did as a starter last year, is he worth 3/25 then. If that happens, the same lame posters attacking him will then mock the Knicks for not matching. 8 million a year for 17/8 out of your starting pg is very fair.
If the Knicks match and Lin is the stud he showed he was, will these haters come back and admit thy were wrong.....nope.

Captain Moroni
07-14-2012, 02:47 PM
In the same vien, if Drose comes back a step slower, can't finish and is injury prone for his career, is his contract an albatross?

None of us knows what will happen, we all go off the past to speculate what's ahead.

beasted86
07-14-2012, 04:46 PM
In the same vien, if Drose comes back a step slower, can't finish and is injury prone for his career, is his contract an albatross?

None of us knows what will happen, we all go off the past to speculate what's ahead.

You are right about your previous post... but let's not pretend like Lin didn't also have a season ending knee injury. Sure, an ACL tear isn't nearly as bad as a meniscus tear... but regardless of health the odds that Lin steps right back into averaging 18/8 as a starter next year are slim anyway. I, and most logical fans should expect less... how much less is yet to be determined.

I personally think he's going to continue averaging about 14/6.

Tmath
07-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen
Rockets so far unable to hand deliver Lin offer sheet. Knicks refused to accept at team hotel. Glen Grunwald not at practice yest, gm today.

Rockets had a courier knocking on doors at hotel, call room. Could not get someone to accept offer sheet yesterday.

Rockets FedExed offer sheet to Knicks offices in NY, but league said GM Glen Grunwald must receive it himself. Clock to match at standstill.

All of this is high comedy, but does leave no doubt that Knicks will take every bit of three days to match, once offer sheet is in hand.

Knicks butt hurt?

jam
07-14-2012, 05:03 PM
All continued evidence of how poorly managed the knicks are. They invite Lin to seek outside offers and now won't accept the offer sheet that they insisted Lin pursue in the first place. Safe to say that the knicks front office is one of the 5-10 most inept in the nba.

episodenone
07-14-2012, 05:34 PM
this all makes no sense to me. the rockets are acting like its a 2 team league.

they know the knicks will match -- so why bother?

EDUTEXANS
07-14-2012, 05:37 PM
lol comedy

episodenone
07-14-2012, 05:44 PM
All continued evidence of how poorly managed the knicks are. They invite Lin to seek outside offers and now won't accept the offer sheet that they insisted Lin pursue in the first place. Safe to say that the knicks front office is one of the 5-10 most inept in the nba.

what scares me -- is that in the knowing how bad the knicks front office is - there are still other nba teams considered as bad.

WhiteSoxGod
07-14-2012, 08:02 PM

Completely agree. Why else would you want some of the worst defenders in the league in the same lineup. Paging Isiah Thomas.....Paging Isiah Thomas please come to the service desk. LOL

Remember when the Knicks traded the Rockets ALL those assets for Tracy McGrady...lol.

torocan
07-14-2012, 08:11 PM
this all makes no sense to me. the rockets are acting like its a 2 team league.

they know the knicks will match -- so why bother?

Luxury taxes get split among the other teams.

And until the Knicks match, there is a Cap Hold on Houston so it restricts their ability to make moves for other players.

WhiteSoxGod
07-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Luxury taxes get split among the other teams.

And until the Knicks match, there is a Cap Hold on Houston so it restricts their ability to make moves for other players.

Yep so ultimately the rockets will benefit from Lin's contract but a little extra dough a few years from now, lol.

jam
07-14-2012, 08:40 PM
I remain perplexed as to why team owners can't restrain themselves. They have a new bargaining agreement, new cap, they've fought for months for measures to rein in spending, and then they spend money hand over fist for barely coordinated bigs who can hardly walk and chew gum at the same time, unproven pg's, anonymous role players, etc.

It seems to me as if owning an NBA franchise is about ego and pride and competitive bluster; it appears to be a very iffy business decision with highly unpredictable prospects for profits either short or long term.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Is what the Rockets did considered like an 'unwritten rule?' Not that I particularly care, because this really affects the Knicks in no way other than hurting Dolan's wallet a bit. I just dont remember this ever happening.

GSPftw
07-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Basically it's a win/win for the rockets. They either get a starting PG, or they lose nothing in the process. And a bit of a lose/lose for NY. They either lose thier guy or pay a LOT of money for him in both the cap and luxury tax. Just gamesmanship from competitive GM's.

WhiteSoxGod
07-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Basically it's a win/win for the rockets. They either get a starting PG, or they lose nothing in the process. And a bit of a lose/lose for NY. They either lose thier guy or pay a LOT of money for him in both the cap and luxury tax. Just gamesmanship from competitive GM's.

EXACTLY, I don't think many Knicks fans understand this. PLUS it's only $8 mil per year $2 mil less than Dragic and extra revenue streams.

torocan
07-14-2012, 10:07 PM
EXACTLY, I don't think many Knicks fans understand this. PLUS it's only $8 mil per year $2 mil less than Dragic and extra revenue streams.

Lin is much more valuable to the Rockets than the Knicks. Same as to the Raptors or any number of teams.

I never had a question about Morey's choice to go after Lin, I mostly questioned how committed Dolan was to retaining him, that and how they went about the FA process.

He's a very good pick up for the Rockets if this turns out to be true.

I'm just very unhappy with the Knicks FO right now if this is true. :facepalm:

Verbal Christ
07-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Morey just showed the world how the strongarm tactic works! Lol

D12 fan
07-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Houston Rockets riding around with that Nina,they cashin out with Lin/Dwight.

HoodedSB
07-14-2012, 11:27 PM
I keep hearing about how the "asian market" will make this worthwhile. From what I understand, the knicks sellout basically all their games already (and have for a long time, even when they weren't winning) so that's moot. Also, people mention jersey and merch sales...aren't the revenues from NBA licensed merch shared among all the teams? So unless the "asian community" (lol) just decides to start sending Dolan money, I don't see how it makes any difference.

TheRazorboy
07-14-2012, 11:56 PM
I keep hearing about how the "asian market" will make this worthwhile. From what I understand, the knicks sellout basically all their games already (and have for a long time, even when they weren't winning) so that's moot. Also, people mention jersey and merch sales...aren't the revenues from NBA licensed merch shared among all the teams? So unless the "asian community" (lol) just decides to start sending Dolan money, I don't see how it makes any difference.

More eyes equal increased advertising revenue for one. If you are looking for increased exposure and international ad money, China isn't a bad place to start.

BKLYNpigeon
07-15-2012, 12:03 AM
Jeremy Lin is GONE! theres no way the Knicks will keep 3 pg's

shep33
07-15-2012, 12:10 AM
Didn't the Knicks sign Prigoni too? That means they have 3 point guards even without Lin

eternal slumber
07-15-2012, 12:15 AM
Didn't the Knicks sign Prigoni too? That means they have 3 point guards even without Lin

yeah, they've signed Pablo Prigioni too. i don't think Felton's trade is just for insurance, it's a replacement for Lin. having 4 pg's is very awkward to say the least.

Jroz
07-15-2012, 12:18 AM
yeah, they've signed Pablo Prigioni too. i don't think Felton's trade is just for insurance, it's a replacement for Lin. having 4 pg's is very awkward to say the least.

True, but I have a feeling Kidd is going to play more of a 2 guard.....Smith likes coming off the bench, and Shumpert is out until January..so it gives the knicks some options.

Lin/Felton/Prigioni
Kidd/Smith/Shumpert - for now
Melo/White/Smith
Stat/Novak/Thomas
Chandler/Camby/Thomas

DEEP

FOBolous
07-15-2012, 12:21 AM

More eyes equal increased advertising revenue for one. If you are looking for increased exposure and international ad money, China isn't a bad place to start.

let's not forget merchandises and jersey sales.

xabial
07-15-2012, 12:21 AM

David Kahn of the Minnesota Timberwolves Say Hi.

Luke Ridnour, Ramon Sessions, Jonny Flynn, Ricky Rubio, JJ Barea :D

bootleg42
07-15-2012, 12:38 AM
The Houston Rockets might be the most hated team in the league right now.

First for making such a stupid offer for Dwight Howard (which made no sense and only made them looked stupid).

Now for trying to rob Jeremy Lin away from the Knicks, whom they'll have to overpay.

utl768
07-15-2012, 12:43 AM
lin is a special player imo and the knicks are stupid for letting him go

alleyooptocoop
07-15-2012, 12:59 AM
jeremy lin to jeremy lamb.........bam!

rhino17
07-15-2012, 01:04 AM
Knicks are not keeping Kidd, Felton, Pirgioni, AND Lin

Lin is a Rocket

P.I.
07-15-2012, 01:05 AM
True, but I have a feeling Kidd is going to play more of a 2 guard.....Smith likes coming off the bench, and Shumpert is out until January..so it gives the knicks some options.

Lin/Felton/Prigioni
Kidd/Smith/Shumpert - for now
Melo/White/Smith
Stat/Novak/Thomas
Chandler/Camby/Thomas

DEEP

Sign Lin First.
MElo needs to change his game, all I'm saying. Lets see this guy in the Olympics.