PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Balance Lottery to shake up Draft

Giannis94
07-13-2012, 02:59 PM
This is going to make the draft all the more interesting. I really can't wait for this to happen, on July 18th. Here is the Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111130&content_id=26059392)

There's enough information to digest from the new Basic Agreement to make Thanksgiving dinner seem like an appetizer. Getting a grasp on how the First-Year Player Draft and the international-signing landscape have changed takes time and patience.

The real ramifications of the changes laid out in the agreement may not truly be known until after baseball has gone through a Draft and a signing period under the new rules, and certainly not before the complete agreement is released. MLB.com has been collecting information to get a better understanding of this new way of doing business in the amateur ranks. This is part one in a series of stories to try to sort all of this out, so fans will have a sense of what their teams will be facing beginning with the 2012 Draft. The series will include an explanation of the Competitive Balance Lottery, how things will work in the international markets and a look at who will feel the greatest impact from these changes.

The Competitive Balance Lottery is new. The extra picks could come in handy in helping teams that supposedly need the most assistance to improve. Keep in mind, though, those teams won't get this aid until the 2013 Draft.

The first lottery will take place in July, after the 2012 Draft signing deadline has passed. The 10 smallest-market teams and the 10 lowest-revenue teams will be placed in the lottery to have a chance to win one of six extra picks in 2013. This doesn't mean there will be 20 teams in the lottery. There will be plenty of crossover, with the expectation of having 13 teams involved.

The teams that will be eligible for the first lottery are the D-backs, Orioles, Indians, Royals, A's, Pirates, Padres, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Marlins, Brewers and Cardinals.

The odds of winning a Draft pick in this lottery will be based on each team's winning percentage in the previous season. The half-dozen picks will be made at the conclusion of the first round, but after the compensation picks for free agents.

There will be a second group of six picks, coming after the conclusion of the second round. The teams from the first group that did not get one of the early picks will be re-entered, along with any other Major League team that receives any revenue sharing.

There's another wrinkle to this. These lottery picks can be traded. That's right, for the first time in Major League history, Draft picks can be dealt. But there are a series of conditions and limitations regarding such transactions.

Only a team that wins a pick in the lottery can trade it, meaning that selection can be traded just once. It can't be sold for cash, and it may only be dealt during the season. Trading can commence the day after the lottery is held and is allowed until the end of that regular season. So seeing a lottery pick or two involved in some July 31 Trade Deadline deals is a distinct possibility. They cannot be included in any Winter Meetings deals, however, with trading of picks again permitted at the beginning of the following regular season.

Teams eligible for '13 Lottery
Arizona D-backs Baltimore Orioles
Cleveland Indians Kansas City Royals
Oakland Athletics Pittsburgh Pirates
San Diego Padres Tampa Bay Rays
Cincinnati Reds Colorado Rockies
Miami Marlins Milwaukee Brewers
St. Louis Cardinals
The lottery, it seems, has been designed to help small-market and lowest-revenue clubs gain more talent not just because they had a poor season. Many of the smaller-market clubs were proponents of a system with hard slotting. While that hasn't happened, this current system is designed, with this lottery a part of it, to give those clubs a competitive advantage compared to the status quo.

There is one other lottery, one for picks forfeited by teams going over their allotted bonus pools. Any team going five to 10 percent over its pool gets taxed at 75 percent and loses a first-round pick. Anyone going 10-15 percent over gets hit with a 100-percent tax and loses a first- and second-round pick. Anything over 15 percent means a 100-percent tax and loss of first-round selections in the next two Drafts.

Any of those forfeited picks would go into a separate lottery. Any team that did not exceed its pool will be in that lottery. In this one, though, the odds are are not just based on winning percentage, but on a formula of revenue and winning percentage.

sixers247
07-13-2012, 03:01 PM
:yawn:

utl768
07-13-2012, 03:06 PM
anything to avoid just using a salary cap

and why are the marlins in this? didnt they just blow a ton of money this winter so there not a small market anymore with a 120 million dollar payroll

2009mvp
07-13-2012, 03:17 PM
So not only do small market teams get to profit off of revenue sharing, they now get free picks as well? Brilliant.

Nymfan87
07-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Queue conspiracy theories when one team ends up getting picks year after year and one team loses out year after year.

Angry Norwegian
07-13-2012, 03:31 PM
God damnit, Obama is just ruining everything.

xnick5757
07-13-2012, 03:32 PM
the penalties for signing over the slot are stupid. if you have a high pick from being bad, the players available when you draft are going to be the best and thus want more than the slot. the penalties mean that teams with high picks now won't select the best available player. it makes no sense.

Mudvayne91
07-13-2012, 03:37 PM
The Rockies owners are cheap and the GM is an idiot, so maybe just maybe this can even it out a tad. Obviously I am happy about this, but I could see how some may not.

DodgerB24
07-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Cardinals and Reds?

Not following.

2009mvp
07-13-2012, 04:14 PM
The Rockies owners are cheap and the GM is an idiot, so maybe just maybe this can even it out a tad. Obviously I am happy about this, but I could see how some may not.

Which is the crux of the issue. These teams aren't at a disadvantage because of their revenues/market sizes, they just happen to have cheap owners and/or incompetent management. Besides the Rays and A's (who both have ballpark issues) none of those teams are at a disadvantage.

Chucky Woods
07-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Where would these picks be? I'm not following this story???

Toxeryll
07-13-2012, 04:35 PM
and it keeps getting worse and worse... :sigh:

Giannis94
07-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Where would these picks be? I'm not following this story???

There will be a second group of six picks, coming after the conclusion of the second round. The teams from the first group that did not get one of the early picks will be re-entered, along with any other Major League team that receives any revenue sharing.

xabial
07-13-2012, 05:56 PM
This is F***ing ********. Why can't they be traded In the Winter Meetings??? The Time of The Month Trades Are Most Likely To Happen.

Cursed Rangers
07-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Which is the crux of the issue. These teams aren't at a disadvantage because of their revenues/market sizes, they just happen to have cheap owners and/or incompetent management. Besides the Rays and A's (who both have ballpark issues) none of those teams are at a disadvantage.

Agreed. On the surface this seems like a way to reward poor management. Makes no sense.

Wrench
07-13-2012, 09:05 PM
God no. Its terrible in the NBA to me at least. The worst team that season should always get the best pick, they "won" that right.

bringinwood
07-14-2012, 12:57 AM
I hate any system that rewards incompetence... a lottery in the NBA works because it doesn't guarantee a Tim Duncan to a smaller market whose team could potentially triple in value... Teams, who are stuck in mediocrity, would throw entire seasons if they were guaranteed the likes of some of these stars....

A worst to first draft works in the NFL, mlb, and NHL because no one player will financially turn around an organization like in the nba... This baseball draft lottery crap is for the birds...

nithanyo
07-14-2012, 08:59 AM
I swear Toronto is a smaller baseball market than STL

GasMan
07-14-2012, 09:21 AM
the penalties for signing over the slot are stupid. if you have a high pick from being bad, the players available when you draft are going to be the best and thus want more than the slot. the penalties mean that teams with high picks now won't select the best available player. it makes no sense.

Amen to that.

GasMan
07-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Agreed. On the surface this seems like a way to reward poor management. Makes no sense.

Sounds like perfect Selig-logic to me.

blackjack_119
07-14-2012, 01:52 PM
A "competitive balance rule" in which the worst team in the AL (Seattle) AND the worst team in the NL (Houston) don't meet the criteria for being eligible for the lottery for additional picks.:facepalm:

Grantakins
07-14-2012, 02:50 PM
anything to avoid just using a salary cap

and why are the marlins in this? didnt they just blow a ton of money this winter so there not a small market anymore with a 120 million dollar payroll

yep.

NateyB24
07-14-2012, 03:00 PM
I really don't see how this is fair at all.

Mudvayne91
07-14-2012, 03:07 PM
God no. Its terrible in the NBA to me at least. The worst team that season should always get the best pick, they "won" that right.

Maybe I understood this wrong, which is entirely possible. However, I thought the shake up would be with additional picks rewarded to the teams that qualified in a lottery, but their initial picks would stay the same. So if you finished last, you'd get #1 and another pick in the lottery.

lovingTO
07-14-2012, 04:02 PM
This is just aweful.

NateyB24
07-14-2012, 04:14 PM
This is just aweful.

I know some of these teams on this list shouldn't be considered a small market and it also seems like its rewarding owners who are cheap.

homestarunner93
07-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Yeah, the Cardinals, Reds, and Rays really need help. This is idiotic.

HoodedSB
07-14-2012, 10:42 PM
I hate this. I don't want the farm system or the draft messed with.

2009mvp
07-14-2012, 11:02 PM
They're giving teams compensation on the premise that they're at a competitive disadvantage because of their market/revenues. The problem isn't that teams like the Rays, Reds, Cards, DBags etc happen to fall under that category (otherwise, you're punishing them for success), it's that the original premise is so flawed.

ciaban
07-14-2012, 11:10 PM
A "competitive balance rule" in which the worst team in the AL (Seattle) AND the worst team in the NL (Houston) don't meet the criteria for being eligible for the lottery for additional picks.:facepalm:

lol couldn't have said better myself, the only way to make bad teams better isn't with more draft picks it's with smarter management, giving more picks to teams who refuse to spend on the draft wont make them better, they will just continue to draft marginal players that will sign for slot

celtisox41
07-14-2012, 11:21 PM
So not only do small market teams get to profit off of revenue sharing, they now get free picks as well? Brilliant.

Well they'll just have more picks to develop prospects that will eventually go to teams like the Red Sox and Yankees

2009mvp
07-14-2012, 11:33 PM
^^Yeah, just like Votto, Tulo, Braun, McCutchen, Upton.

jtrinaldi
07-15-2012, 12:02 AM
God damnit, Obama is just ruining everything.
not yet, he isn't stealing from the rich to give to the poor....Dumb comment on your part

Jeffy25
07-15-2012, 01:10 AM

Not so bad. Just don't spend a lot, and keep raking in the benefits of a lean team.