PDA

View Full Version : Is it better for Team USA to start with Melo over Durant?

Glen20
07-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Okay so i know this was an issue earlier, and i think it's a good idea to compare the performance of the team as a WHOLE when either is out there.

this thread wasn't made to discuss who the better player is; im sure most of us can agree that Durant is the better player atm. This thread is simply an examination of how TEAM USA performs when one of the two is on the field.

Just from observation (without the statistics in front of me), the USA had a much easier time scoring with Durant on the court, whereas the game become more interior-based when melo is on the court. Durant obviously lit it up, whereas Melo didn't get as much playing time.
Personally, i feel that Team USA should start Durant over Melo (unless they're willing to start both and commit Lebron to the center), due to the his ability to stretch the floor and light up the scoreboard.

waveycrockett
07-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Doesn't matter. They are winning by 30+ every game no matter what

Hawkeye15
07-13-2012, 09:49 AM
of course they scored more with Durant on the floor, he was on fire...

I am fine with Durant coming off the bench, and giving the 2nd unit the best scorer on the planet possibly.

YashBoone
It was one exhibition game.....

tcav701
I like the idea of having the first unit go through LeBron and Kobe and the second unit going through Durant.

He doesnt after worry about deferring to the egos of LeBron and Kobe, he can just go out and dominate on the second unit.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-13-2012, 09:50 AM
I like Durant as the 6th man, and after the game he actually said he liked it too. I like the starters and bench the way they are now.

Kerv_the_Knick
07-13-2012, 09:52 AM
It's just one exhibition game. As I have mentioned on the game thread, they'll adjust. Relax.

b@llhog24
07-13-2012, 09:54 AM
So if Melo caught fire in this game would you still be saying this? It was one game dude chill out.

Glen20
It's just one exhibition game. As I have mentioned on the game thread, they'll adjust. Relax.

im actually not a fan of team USA. just an observation. Who would you rather have in your closing lineup in a tight game?

JerseyPalahniuk

Exhibition games? Yes. Early tournament round games? Yes. Semifinals/Finals? Not at all.

Glen20
07-13-2012, 09:55 AM
So if Melo caught fire in this game would you still be saying this? It was one game dude chill out.

durant's been doing this ever since the world championships

waveycrockett
07-13-2012, 09:58 AM
im actually not a fan of team USA. just an observation. Who would you rather have in your closing lineup in a tight game?

I'm not a fan of Melo, there is a lot you can knock him for but he does have a "clutch gene". He hits lots of big shots. Either one is fine. Durant is the better player and in the end will prob end up with more minutes.

waveycrockett
07-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Exhibition games? Yes. Early tournament round games? Yes. Semifinals/Finals? Not at all.

Spain is probably only team that can hang with them and not sure if they have the guards to score with them. Argentina? Unless they have added some new blood I dont see them as a threat anymore.

Kerv_the_Knick
07-13-2012, 10:00 AM

Well at that specific position (PF) I would start Melo, he's much bigger than KD, and plays really well at that position. Realistically, if I were to pick between 2 SF's to start on any team, then yes, I'd start KD. There is a reason for them to start Melo over KD, they didn't just do it for no reason nor favoritism.

tcav701
07-13-2012, 10:02 AM

MY closing lineup is LeBron, Kobe, Melo, Durant and either CP3 or Love depending on the opponent.

LakersKB24
07-13-2012, 10:02 AM
I actually don't think it's a bad idea! Chemistry!

Except for Chandler it would be the same starting five from 4 years ago so those guys know how to play with each other.
Same goes for Durant, Harden and Westbrook.

Can't go wrong with either Melo or Durant though.

RaiderLakersA's
07-13-2012, 10:15 AM
I don't care who starts. Both can set the tone, or come off the bench and destroy the competition. I actually favor Durant more than Melo, but in terms of getting the job done, I have zero doubt in either of their abilities to help bring home the gold.

While I know that yesterday was just an exhibition, the US team is further along that I thought it would be. They're only going to get better.

Da Knicks
07-13-2012, 10:20 AM
You start melo and you close out with Melo, strong enough to play the pf and create mismatches while having the clutch gene.

tcav701
07-13-2012, 10:26 AM
You start melo and you close out with Melo, strong enough to play the pf and create mismatches while having the clutch gene.

How long have you and Melo been dating?

LongIslandIcedZ
07-13-2012, 10:27 AM
I almost feel like they play different play different positions in the international game. Durant was hitting every jump shot in sight, and Melo was bruising down low. I think they can probably play Durant at the 3 and Melo at the 4 very effectively. Then put Chandler/Love and maybe even Lebron at the 5 and that's one hell of an international front court.

Da Knicks
07-13-2012, 10:28 AM
How long have you and Melo been dating?

I dont understand your question or why you would even ask it, based on my response...

tcav701
07-13-2012, 10:30 AM
I dont understand your question or why you would even ask it, based on my response...

Just kiddin bro.

I just find adult man crushes adorable.

xxplayerxx23
07-13-2012, 10:32 AM
melo looked good off the ball. Attacking. I think Durant takes the role and goes crazy. He will get more minutes. I liked this lineup. Chris Paul-Kobe-Durant-Melo-Lebron. That lineup is so good offensively, and defenseivley they all help out so good it works out. If im in a clutch situation I use that.

Da Knicks
07-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Just kiddin bro.

I just find adult man crushes adorable.

lol So would it be better if i had Vin Baker in my sig?:confused:

tcav701
07-13-2012, 10:39 AM
lol So would it be better if i had Vin Baker in my sig?:confused:

Well yea, only if you didnt come on here everyday and tell everyone how great Vin Baker is.

justinnum1
07-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Doesn't matter how you start. It's how you finish

Cp3
Kobe
Iggy
Kd
Lebron

To close games

Kd is playing the wade role coming off the. Bench and leading scoring.

knicksfan42
07-13-2012, 10:50 AM

Essentially this. Durant didn't start but he got more minutes than everyone anyway so it doesn't matter. If Durant starts over Melo, fine, if Westbrook starts over Melo, fine, if Love starts over Melo, fine, it just doesn't matter. I understand full well that this is an attempt to bait Knicks fans. Attempt failed, btw, what I noticed is that both Durant AND Melo outplayed LeBron yesterday. Maybe they should consider starting Durant over LeBron. Even though anyone with half a brain knows it really doesn't matter at all.

knicksfan42
07-13-2012, 10:54 AM
A more interesting team usa thread would be: Does team USA win any game by less than 30-20 points.

Rockice_8
07-13-2012, 10:57 AM
I like the 2 team rotation they could throw out. CP3, Kobe, LBJ, Melo, Chandler and then just swap them all out for D-Will, Westbrook, AI, Durant, and Love.

Then down the stretch just go with the guys playing the best.

D-Will
Kobe
Durant
Melo
LBJ

That's probably the best lineup they could put on the floor.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Just make sure their both in there at the end of the game. They could the two must clutch players in the NBA

Da Knicks
07-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Well yea, only if you didnt come on here everyday and tell everyone how great Vin Baker is.

LMAO it was the answer to the question, its better than the posts that just say wow, lol, or just put a smiley to increase posts. Some people think this is a chat room, not saying you.

TheNumber37
07-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Melo should start because on this team he is more adept to adjusting to becoming a rebounder, defender (yeah, i know) and finisher. He can also play the 4 and 5 which Durant can't.
KD is more explosive and that's the best place for that talent - the bench as a 6th man. International teams cannot deal with Durant attacking their 2nd unit. Same with Melo, but Durant is a bit more explosive.
We're 1-0, why change anything?

hgtiger32
07-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Melo actually has been the best player on Team USA in the last Olympics and World Championships. Lead the team in scoring I believe.

BklynKnicks3
07-13-2012, 11:14 AM
theres nothing to close games will be all blow outs except maybe one. I wish lebron wasnt on this team so i can enjoy it

jrm2054
07-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Yes Melo is best fit for international ball and is one of the better players on the team for that style of game. Plus having KD off the bench is just unfair, you can't go wrong either way.

GMEN4EVER
07-13-2012, 11:25 AM
It makes more sense for Durant to play the 6th man role. Melo is a thicker body and gives them a better player to match up with PF's. And Melo plays a much more team oriented role in the olympics. Durant can shoot the crap out of the ball whenever he comes in because Lebron and Kobe are off the court. Team chemistry is better with Melo starting at PF than if Durant was the PF. So the starting lineup should stay. Closing lineup is a different story and I think it's more of a who they are matched up against based. Chris Paul, Kobe, Lebron, Melo/Durant, Chandler makes the most sense. But if the other team doesn't have a good 7 foot center you can slide Lebron to center and play Durant, Melo, and Lebron at the same time. Which is just a disgusting lineup to go to work with. Like holy hell how do you defend Paul, Bryant, Durant, Melo, Lebron as a unit?

TeamSeattle
07-13-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm guessing nobody saw Melo having his defender on lock yesterday in the post. The guy was in shackles yet he shouldn't be starting. That's not to say Durant isn't the better player because he obviously is; but Melo is better for bigger matchups. Durant is fine with coming off the bench and lighting it up.

LeGacy is Music
07-13-2012, 11:54 AM
First you say you don't like team USA but I see you are a heat fan. the other dude tells the one kid he has a "man crush" I love the hate bro, If he had the whole heat team and okc people would still find a way to talk trash directly or indirectly about the KNICKS, I know you live in some small village some where and all you can do is take drugs to make something out of yourself but in NYC we make money here and anything you wanted to do we can do it but in your little farm village it would take half an hour ride to go see a movie, HOP off a bridge and body yourself KNICK FAN OUT

colinskik
07-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Sure, this thread wasn't created to compare who's better, but your sig trashes Melo. C'mon dude, stop being a little prick.

blastmasta26
07-13-2012, 12:01 PM
First you say you don't like team USA but I see you are a heat fan. the other dude tells the one kid he has a "man crush" I love the hate bro, If he had the whole heat team and okc people would still find a way to talk trash directly or indirectly about the KNICKS, I know you live in some small village some where and all you can do is take drugs to make something out of yourself but in NYC we make money here and anything you wanted to do we can do it but in your little farm village it would take half an hour ride to go see a movie, HOP off a bridge and body yourself KNICK FAN OUT

I understand you're trying to defend the Knicks, but he had a point there. Take a look at my sig if you want any proof of Da Knicks having a man crush on Melo.

agureghian
07-13-2012, 12:07 PM
no...
Durant is vastly superior

meloman1592
07-13-2012, 12:27 PM
This thread was created indirectly to bash melo and talk about how much better Durant is. Yes Durant is a bit better than Melo. No Durant will not be the starter. Melo is MUCH MUCH better at holding his own vs bigger players. If melo came off the bench and lit it up people would be saying how much of a chuck he is. Support the ****ing team and chill with the Durant dick riding and melo hating. And what ****ing sense does it make to create this thread after a 40+ point win? As if changes need to be made smh

btw lebron only had 7 points, kobe had what? 2 or 4? Why was Melo the one singled out? That is what you call hate. Lol @ a heat fan making this thread. All yall do is complain about being hated on but you make threads like this

King41
07-13-2012, 12:31 PM
durant?
hmm
yes sir durant !!!

nyKnicks126
07-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Melo can body up in the post and get fouled easily against these players.. Durant can not do that as well as Melo can.. Melo can absorb contact and make shots, get fouled.. Melo is made for this team.. I don't question coache K's decision.

aztr0
07-13-2012, 12:54 PM
It was one exhibition game.....

Against DR.. no less.

nyKnicks126
07-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Melo played almost half of what Durant played..

Da Knicks
07-13-2012, 01:14 PM
I understand you're trying to defend the Knicks, but he had a point there. Take a look at my sig if you want any proof of Da Knicks having a man crush on Melo.

I do like Melo and I wrote that in the knicks forum where it belongs, i have not came in here starting stuff about how great Melo is. The knicks forum was like always fighting about how Carmelo was not a fit and that he was a bum and i felt like i had to defend him. Did i go overboard on my comments yeah but it was at the heat of the moment and those knick posters had me wishing they would just switch teams. I still think imo that Melo is the best b-ball player in the league right now but that is my opinion as a knick fan. The knicks did not have training camp, had a new coach, new faces, hurt Lin, Shump, Davis, Jeffries, Stat and people expected them to still win. This year will be the first year that the knicks can have training camp and find the balance with all the new players.

I have my biased opinion since I am a knicks fan but, Melo has the game to last many years playing because his game is not dictated on speed and athletic agility. His skill set is really good and i can see him becoming better and craftier. This last season was a whole disaster for the knicks and the teams that had being together for a while had the advantage. Shorter season was the best thing that could of happened to the teams that like to run and gun. This real season coming up will be totally different in how teams will have to approach a long season.

Kashmir13579
07-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Whatever Coach K decides is what is best for Team USA.

RonE Coleman
07-13-2012, 01:26 PM
I don't think it really matters when your beating teams by 50? Personally I like Melo at the 4 and KD as the 6th man scorer role.

IF a games ever tight I think youll see a lineup of

Either Paul/WB , Kobe, KD , Melo , Bron at the 5

RaiderLakersA's
07-13-2012, 01:29 PM
I wish lebron wasnt on this team so i can enjoy it

Wait...what?!???

However else you may feel about James, he is representing the USA, blood, sweat and tears. If you're a US citizen (or an illegal living & working in the USA who dreams of becoming a US citizen), he represents you, too.

If anything this is the ONE time where you can shut down the LeBron Hate Skill and just go with the flow. Root for the flag, if not the player in the USA "Made in China" jersey. :D :D :D

meloman1592
07-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Wait...what?!???

However else you may feel about James, he is representing the USA, blood, sweat and tears. If you're a US citizen (or an illegal living & working in the USA who dreams of becoming a US citizen), he represents you, too.

If anything this is the ONE time where you can shut down the LeBron Hate Skill and just go with the flow. Root for the flag, if not the player in the USA "Made in China" jersey. :D :D :D

Tell that to the melo haters

bearadonisdna
07-13-2012, 01:58 PM
I think its a travesty to have the best international forward in the word coming off the bench.

JasonJohnHorn
07-13-2012, 02:20 PM
I think it's a no-brainer to start Durant over Melo. Shouldn't we have a poll?

Weezy
07-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Whatever Coach K decides is what is best for Team USA.

Exactly.....I am pretty sure he knows what he is doing so I will trust his judgement on who to start who not to start.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Wait...what?!???

Go into the game thread from last night and let me know if you think that looks like a unified group of guys lol. But I agree with you, gotta root for Lebron for the next few weeks/months.

America!

bearadonisdna
07-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Go into the game thread from last night and let me know if you think that looks like a unified group of guys lol. But I agree with you, gotta root for Lebron for the next few weeks/months.

America!
No u dont have to root for him. TEAM usa has a much more productive player on the bench that he could easily be replaced for.

StarvingKnick22
07-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Melo plays best as PF lmao this guy trolling knicks

bearadonisdna
07-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Durant also had 10 rebounds and was 5-6 from 3.

RaiderLakersA's
07-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Tell that to the melo haters

Universal rule and applies to all. This is TEAM USA basketball. Emigrate the Hate.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-13-2012, 03:12 PM
I'd prefer Melo to start. KD and Melo will both still get there regardless.

Melo's game is PERFECT stylistically, for the natianal game. Melo has the strength, size, height, and perimeter jumpshot to take you inside and out. I liked when they put KD in @ the 5 and Melo @ the 4. I don't think that's gonna be a good idea when playing teams like Argentina, or Spain. But, regardless, I prefer Melo to start. Both will still get theirs.

Mudvayne91
07-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Melo's game thrives in international play. Look at his statistics in the past. I don't care for the guy much, but I certainly would have no problem with him starting.

colinskik
07-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Did anyone watch the game?? Melo was a part of so many plays. He was more active than Durant who was primarily just launching 3's (and making). TBH Kobe was the guy who kinda looked out of sorts during the game. But it's only the first exhibition game ...

Both Melo and Durant are a good fit for international play, but objectively Melo is stronger and better suited to bang down low, but can still hit the J, so his game translates even better than Durant's.

BuddhaMONK
07-13-2012, 05:04 PM
I hope the US gets f*cked up by some terrible team....go Nigeria!

Wolfman01
07-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Kevin Durant will start of course over Carmelo Anthony. Kevin Durant carried Team USA last year. Can Carmelo Anthony help carried Team USA? The answer simply is no he can't even help carry the Knicks.

MELO7NYK/DENfan
07-13-2012, 06:53 PM
It's because melo is the better player and it is better for him to start cuz of how well he fits the the international game

Wolfman01
07-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Team USA and Spain should be a good one. Spain got Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, Rudy Fernadez, Serge Ibaka, Jose Calderon, and some other players on the Team Spain. It should be a good match up.

BULLSFAN0810
07-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Melo is actually the better player... Skill dictates it.. You can high post ,low post, iso, run an offense through Melo. Where Durant is a shooter, so on this team he is the 6 th man.

Evolution23
07-13-2012, 09:06 PM
Melo is actually the better player... Skill dictates it.. You can high post ,low post, iso, run an offense through Melo. Where Durant is a shooter, so on this team he is the 6 th man.

This

BALLER R
07-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Maybe Melo Just plays better with other stars. His game seems so much more smooth in international games as oppose to in the NBA.

xPhillies08WSCx
07-13-2012, 09:30 PM
All of these guys are great players, we all know that. I thought it was cool/funny seeing KD come off the bench, but Melo has been here before and he's the vet so you can't really get mad at him for starting. All of these guys are playing for one goal, to win the gold medal. I'm very excited to watch them do it.

xPhillies08WSCx
07-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Maybe Melo Just plays better with other stars. His game seems so much more smooth in international games as oppose to in the NBA.

I think the exact same thing, every time Melo plays for the US he seems like another player. Commentators were saying his game fits the FIBA game so well.

xPhillies08WSCx
07-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Melo is one of my favorite players though so don't think i'm knockin his game, one of the best pure scorers in the NBA. And people always knock his defense but he's really not the bad, just seems like at times he gets uninterested in playing D.

Patrick Ewing33
07-13-2012, 09:38 PM
It's fine the way it is.... Durant is the perfect 6th man for this team, you take our Melo or Lebron and you get Durant in the game. Like how are teams going to guard that..

NYK|NYY
07-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Guys, who cares, lol. Team is stacked either way. It doesn't matter.

Jint.
07-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Kevin Durant will start of course over Carmelo Anthony. Kevin Durant carried Team USA last year. Can Carmelo Anthony help carried Team USA? The answer simply is no he can't even help carry the Knicks.

:no:

bearadonisdna
07-14-2012, 12:40 AM
according to the box score. Kobe is playing forward.
That is probably why the he looked out of sorts.
C-chandler
f-anthony
f-bryant
g-james
g-paul

weird.

MadBomber
07-14-2012, 06:03 AM
my closing lineup is lebron, kobe, melo, durant and either cp3 or love depending on the opponent.

+1