PDA

View Full Version : Question about Big Market teams.

3ballbomber
07-13-2012, 03:27 AM
I live in Australia so i'm not really informed on wich teams are big market and who are the teams in a small market. Somebody break it down for me please.

Aust
07-13-2012, 03:34 AM
Pretty much think of the big cities in America and if they have a basketball team, they're generally a big market. Los Angeles, New York, Chicago blah blah blah

Hellcrooner
07-13-2012, 03:38 AM
Pretty much think of the big cities in America and if they have a basketball team, they're generally a big market. Los Angeles, New York, Chicago blah blah blah

Not sure bout that.

The Bay is very big , basically TWO big cities togheter and renowned worldwide , and say Houston is one of the biggest cities and yet neither are considered big markets.

Isnt Minneapolis+St Paul quite big too?

Lakers + Giants
07-13-2012, 03:40 AM
Not sure bout that.

The Bay is very big , basically TWO big cities togheter and renowned worldwide , and say Houston is one of the biggest cities and yet neither are considered big markets.

Isnt Minneapolis+St Paul quite big too?

Houston and The Bay area are considered Big Markets IMO. . Minneapolis i would put them in the High mid level markets.

Aust
07-13-2012, 03:42 AM
That's not what I meant. I suppose I worded it wrong.

And isn't Houston considered a big market?

RLundi
07-13-2012, 03:55 AM
Depends on what you mean by 'market.' Some people take it to mean a big metropolitan area, which I think is much more accurate than a media market, which depending on the region, can be completely split up in one single area. For example, Miami is not considered a large market because it has tiny city limits, even though it's metro area is enormous. Instead, the entire area is split into several markets, which makes no sense in my opinion.

But to me, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, Miami, Dallas, Atlanta and DC, are all big market.

Knicks21
07-13-2012, 03:56 AM
Phili as well.

Bravo95
07-13-2012, 04:00 AM
Depends on what you mean by 'market.' Some people take it to mean a big metropolitan area, which I think is much more accurate than a media market, which depending on the region, can be completely split up in one single area. For example, Miami is not considered a large market because it has tiny city limits, even though it's metro area is enormous. Instead, the entire area is split into several markets, which makes no sense in my opinion.

But to me, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, Miami, Dallas, Atlanta, DC, Boston and the Bay Area are all big markets.
Yep. It's just that some teams in those areas don't always operate like others in major sports markets.

Kyle N.
07-13-2012, 05:10 AM
It doesn't matter what Miami's city limits are. That's like saying the New York Jets and Giants aren't in the New York's market because they play in New Jersey. Minneapolis is a big enough too. Just because the team isn't the greatest and players don't want to necessarily play there doesn't mean the market is small.

This isn't all encompassing but it's something to give you an idea of the market sizes.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2011/03/nba-market-size-numbers-game/

And here is the populations of these areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Ar eas

StarvingKnick22
07-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Genarally there are 2 Teams with over 800,000,000$, the Knicks, and the Lakers. the other Big Market. Then, there are the Chicago Bulls, Miami Heat, Boston Celtics, Dallas Mavericks, Detriot Pistons, and the "Inbetweeen" team at 15. would be The Oklahoma City Thunder." The Small Market teams are teams that are after the 15. mark, and have a Low Fan Base and have less than 500,000,000$. These also can be places were the population is less dense than it was when the franchise started. the lowest market teams are the Kings, Clippers, and the lowest of the Low Markets are 30. the Milwaukee Bucks, with a franchise worth of 180,000,000$. That Help? if you need anymore help, go on Forbes.

waveycrockett
07-13-2012, 08:32 AM
there are only like 5 or 6 true big market teams now

NYK
BKN
LAL
LAC
CHI

maybe BOS I guess

StarvingKnick22
07-13-2012, 08:41 AM
there are only like 5 or 6 true big market teams now

NYK
BKN
LAL
LAC
CHI

maybe BOS I guess

BK Nets, LAC cant become a big market team over night lol there like at 20 and 25

waveycrockett
07-13-2012, 08:43 AM
BK Nets, LAC cant become a big market team over night lol there like at 20 and 25

You know the definition of a "market"??? Apparently not

And technically yeah the Nets became a big market team over night.

StarvingKnick22
07-13-2012, 08:48 AM
You know the definition of a "market"??? Apparently not

And technically yeah the Nets became a big market team over night.

you also have to count fan base, bro. you can live in LA, and Brooklyn, but the question is, will people go to your games and buy your mechandise? regardless, thet still wont get them 200,000,000$ over night lol:cool:

waveycrockett
07-13-2012, 08:53 AM
you also have to count fan base, bro. you can live in LA, and Brooklyn, but the question is, will people go to your games and buy your mechandise? regardless, thet still wont get them 200,000,000$ over night lol:cool:

fan base has nothing to do with it. A market is just that. The earning potential of a club based on the number of people available to purchase a product and the local economy. The Cubs have sucked for a century and still are one of the most valuable franchises in all of pro sports. If the LAC are sold they would go for an 1000x more than the what the OKC thunder would go for. Ever wonder why the richest owner in pro sports jumped on the chance to buy the Nets BEFORE they moved to Brooklyn?

RLundi
07-13-2012, 08:55 AM
It doesn't matter what Miami's city limits are. That's like saying the New York Jets and Giants aren't in the New York's market because they play in New Jersey. Minneapolis is a big enough too. Just because the team isn't the greatest and players don't want to necessarily play there doesn't mean the market is small.

This isn't all encompassing but it's something to give you an idea of the market sizes.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2011/03/nba-market-size-numbers-game/

And here is the populations of these areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Ar eas

It actually does matter. Because the city limits are smaller than your average large city, Miami's entire metropolitan area is not considered one market. If Miami were the geographic size of a New York, it would probably be considered one market instead of 2 or 3. But because the metro area is so expansive and
the city itself is small, that metropolitan area is not considered a single market, which again, I find dumb.

EDIT: And by the way, all you've listed is metropolitan sizes, which is not synonymous with media market, though I think it should be. For example, Miami is considered a small media market than Minneapolis, though it has nearly double Minny's population. Sounds dumb to me. Metropolitan area is usually the best indicator of market size, in my opinion anyway.

StarvingKnick22
07-13-2012, 09:28 AM
fan base has nothing to do with it. A market is just that. The earning potential of a club based on the number of people available to purchase a product and the local economy. The Cubs have sucked for a century and still are one of the most valuable franchises in all of pro sports. If the LAC are sold they would go for an 1000x more than the what the OKC thunder would go for. Ever wonder why the richest owner in pro sports jumped on the chance to buy the Nets BEFORE they moved to Brooklyn?
so your telling me that if a team makes zero dollars, there still considered a big market team?:speechless:

waveycrockett
07-13-2012, 09:36 AM
so your telling me that if a team makes zero dollars, there still considered a big market team?:speechless:

Whose making zero dollars? The Clippers?

They were 7th in total attendance this year. The Lakers? 8th:facepalm:

The BK Nets? They haven't played a game yet and already sold a ton of merchandise.

YashBoone
07-13-2012, 09:42 AM
The big market teams are obviously first the teams in the biggest cities, especially the cities that are business centers. New York, Boston, Chicago, Miami, La, ect.... But I think you also have to include the biggest big market teams are the ones that draw people and players because people want to be in those cities.... New York, Miami, Los Angelas are all places people love to go in general.

trini_knickfan
07-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Saying biggest market vs smallest market, we can argue that forever. Yes population of a city plays a huge part in it because you need the fans to come out and buy tickets, merchandise and so on. Toronto has a huge market but is never considered BIG because well it is Canada and not the US but the owners of the team are worth Billions (even if you convert the CAN$ to the US$, it is still billions). In the early 90's when the Blue Jays (I know not basketball related) were winning. The fans came out! They were hitting over 4M in attendance per season.

But isn't there an arguement about how deep the owner's pockets are as well? Thank God for Dolan and not caring about money lol, he spends on players in the past that probably played 4 games in 4 years and still they got paid.

Boy how I wish I was tall and could trick owners to pay me millions lol

effen5
07-13-2012, 10:25 AM
To me theres only 3 big market teams.

Chicago
NYC
LA

Then the second tiers...

Boston
Houston
Dallas
Philly

etc...

effen5
07-13-2012, 10:27 AM

I disagree man.

Would you consider OKC a big market? No but they sell out every game.

KnickaBocka.44
07-13-2012, 10:36 AM

Actually, yes, that would be correct. A market is made up of people, not dollars. Market size doesn't have anything to do with the actual amount of money the team, or company, makes. It is simply a measurement of how heavily populated the city (or cities, depending on how you want to look at it) where your team resides is, and should then be used as an indicator for how much your team can expect to make, once other factors such as success and marketability are accounted for.

HaruSoul
07-13-2012, 10:41 AM
The biggest store in the world can be filled with the most expensive items, and even if nobody brought those items it is still the biggest store.

waveycrockett
07-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Actually, yes, that would be correct. A market is made up of people, not dollars. Market size doesn't have anything to do with the actual amount of money the team, or company, makes. It is simply a measurement of how heavily populated the city (or cities, depending on how you want to look at it) where your team resides is, and should then be used as an indicator for how much your team can expect to make, once other factors such as success and marketability are accounted for.

Very True. Look at the Mets and Packers in this argument.

Mets are in a HUGE market. Were in the red the last 3 years because their product sucked.

GB makes money hand over fist in a small market

effen5
07-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Very True. Look at the Mets and Packers in this argument.

Mets are in a HUGE market. Were in the red the last 3 years because their product sucked.

GB makes money hand over fist in a small market

You can include OKC with that arguement as well.

ChicagoJ
07-13-2012, 02:33 PM
I always looked at big market teams as the cities with the highest population. It can be misleading because some places have a higher fan base for the NBA than others. OKC, not a big market, but it's the only professional team they have ever had. Obviously, since there are no other pro teams there, there will be alot of nba fans. So competition between other sports, popularity of the nba in the city, and population all play a role.

StarvingKnick22
07-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Whose making zero dollars? The Clippers?They were 7th in total attendance this year. The Lakers? 8th:facepalm:

The BK Nets? They haven't played a game yet and already sold a ton of merchandise.

:facepalm: it was an example. i didnt think you were stupid enought to think that. money is money every team with alot of money aka "superteams" are the hierarchy. i dont know what you heard, but just because they said buy the new Nets gear" that people have them selling. the nets arent making that much off of merchandise bro. do you have more than 3 friends who have nets gear? lol

Big Zo
07-13-2012, 03:55 PM
If it means teams that play in big cities, why not just call them "Big city teams?"

Kevj77
07-13-2012, 04:26 PM

But to me, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, Miami, Dallas, Atlanta and DC, are all big market.This sounds about right, but I would add the San Francisco Bay area the metropolitan area has a large population.

waveycrockett
07-13-2012, 04:29 PM
:facepalm: It was an example. I didnt think you were stupid enought to think that. Money is money every team with alot of money aka "superteams" are the hierarchy. I dont know what you heard, but just because they said buy the new nets gear" that people have them selling. The nets arent making that much off of merchandise bro. Do you have more than 3 friends who have nets gear? Lol

gtfo

since last tuesday -- the same day deron williams announced on twitter that he was staying -- the nets have sold more than 2,000 full season tickets, according to a team spokesman. They have sold 70 percent of the suites at the $1 billion barclays center, and have already booked more than two times the sponsorship revenue for the team than they had all of last year.

• on the first day they unveiled their new logo, april 30, the nets’ merchandise sales at their official website were more than double the team’s total sales on its website all of last season. sports business guru darren rovell reported on cnbc that the nets were fifth in the nba in merchandise sales in the month of june. The nets pointed out that figure didn’t include player merchandise, since their new uniforms have yet to be released.

• brooklynnets.com traffic was jump 600 percent last tuesday from the previous week. Web traffic increased by 1,700 percent on april 30. Brooklyn nets was trending nationwide on twitter on april 30. #hellobrooklyn was seen by 25 million twitter users on april 30. People tweeted about the logo launch in 39 states. Brooklyn nets facebook fans increased by 23 percent during launch week..