PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in the middle with no way out

KiLLaHDiCe12
07-12-2012, 11:07 PM
We always talk about the best teams and the absolute worst teams in the NBA. Being a Sixers fan,in the forum alot of posters seem to at times feel they are in the middle in nba, good enough to make playoffs but have low seed,get middle round draft picks that dont improve your team and leave you sitting idle & destined for mediocrity. Your great,you contend,your very bad you get good picks to try & build. your solid you kinda go nowhere. This causes me to wonder what team across the whole nba do you feel is most middle of the pack with no end in sight & what caused them to be that way? discuss.

Big Zo
07-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Atlanta comes to mind.

EDUTEXANS
07-12-2012, 11:14 PM
that's why the Rockets are doing all this, or blowing it up or trading for Howard

it's the NBA purgatory

EDIT: and it's even worse if you don't make the playoffs, being a 9th seed year after year

fadedmario
07-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Brooklyn, Milwaukee, or Philly

YashBoone
07-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Atlanta for sure year after year, also the trailblazers have been but who knows now.

Most of all tho I think Denver.

Kashmir13579
07-12-2012, 11:17 PM
Atlanta.

jayjay33
07-12-2012, 11:18 PM
its very dangerous though. If you non competitive for to long. No butts in seats. which is the worst thing that can happen. blowing it up especially in a small market can be a disaster.

Arch Stanton
07-12-2012, 11:32 PM
This past year: Sixers and Atlanta stand out as exactly just that. Sometimes I hear Cleveland media state how they want the Cavs to make the playoffs ASAP. But they neglect to look at what happened with LeBron and how the team had become to good too soon and they were unable to add quality players through the draft. Unfortunately with non desirable locations like Cleveland, teams have to overpay for free agents. Which is a failed model. Not saying that's necessarily the case with Philly or Atlanta. But some of it may apply. They got to good too fast and couldn't acquire quality picks via draft and had to rely on free agency.

black1605
07-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Unless you are a big market, you have to hit rock bottom and start over every once in a while. OKC is the epitome of this working.

fadedmario
This past year: Sixers and Atlanta stand out as exactly just that. Sometimes I hear Cleveland media state how they want the Cavs to make the playoffs ASAP. But they neglect to look at what happened with LeBron and how the team had become to good too soon and they were unable to add quality players through the draft. Unfortunately with non desirable locations like Cleveland, teams have to overpay for free agents. Which is a failed model. Not saying that's necessarily the case with Philly or Atlanta. But some of it may apply. They got to good too fast and couldn't acquire quality picks via draft and had to rely on free agency.

Cavs got a nice future right now

Chill_Will_24
Every team not in the lottery and not named Heat

Chill_Will_24
07-12-2012, 11:36 PM
In all seriousness though i see Knicks, Bucks, Sixers, Pacers all being such teams for the next 5 years

Arch Stanton
07-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Unless you are a big market, you have to hit rock bottom and start over every once in a while. OKC is the epitome of this working.

I like the model. But a lot of it has to do with luck. I feel like teams look for models to follow but the models are almost outliers. So they're not the best paths to follow.

Arch Stanton
07-12-2012, 11:47 PM
In all seriousness though i see Knicks, Bucks, Sixers, Pacers all being such teams for the next 5 years

Yes to the Pacers, and Sixers. The Bucks are on the verge of being that team. And will most likely take a spot in the playoffs now that the Magic are rebuilding. I'm not sure about the Knicks... I feel like they have the talent but are underperforming.

black1605
07-12-2012, 11:50 PM
I like the model. But a lot of it has to do with luck. I feel like teams look for models to follow but the models are almost outliers. So they're not the best paths to follow.

I guess, but there's nothing worse than living in mediocrity. Charlotte blew it up, and people said "Why did they trade their best players?" Well, maybe they weren't satisfied with hovering around the 8th seed forever. You start over, hope to get lucky, and maybe catch fire the way OKC did. Last year sucked, but it's exciting to see where we're headed regardless of what the majority of what PSD seems to believe. We're still not anywhere close to being competitive, but exponentially better off than we were a year ago, or two years ago for that matter.

QuaLiThADoN
07-12-2012, 11:58 PM
I think over the past decade it has to be the pacers. But they have had some great drafts moving them in the right direction

Arch Stanton
07-13-2012, 12:17 AM
I guess, but there's nothing worse than living in mediocrity. Charlotte blew it up, and people said "Why did they trade their best players?" Well, maybe they weren't satisfied with hovering around the 8th seed forever. You start over, hope to get lucky, and maybe catch fire the way OKC did. Last year sucked, but it's exciting to see where we're headed regardless of what the majority of what PSD seems to believe. We're still not anywhere close to being competitive, but exponentially better off than we were a year ago, or two years ago for that matter.

Yep... Do you think the new GM looks at advanced stats?

black1605
07-13-2012, 12:24 AM
Yep... Do you think the new GM looks at advanced stats?

I would guess not. Probably more into "talent evaluation".

Arch Stanton
07-13-2012, 12:43 AM
I would guess not. Probably more into "talent evaluation".

Isn't that part of it?

Bravo95
07-13-2012, 12:53 AM
Used to be the Hawks until they hired Ferry and he blew it up. Now they have plenty of cap room on the way, and most importantly, they've been much more aggressive pursuing deals (like Dwight) than anytime in recent memory. They never used to get mentioned in rumors this much.

From now on, I guess that title goes to the Sixers, Pacers, and Nuggets.

theLgndKllr35
07-13-2012, 12:55 AM
I'm gonna say the Knicks

:hide:

FourOhThree
07-13-2012, 01:43 AM
Bucks, Sixers, Hawks, and Nuggets.

sixerszzz
07-13-2012, 02:19 AM
Definitely the Sixers. The front office seems to be afraid to death to rebuild, when it seems like the obvious choice. I wouldn't care that they don't rebuild if they chose to go all-in for a star player or two by trading some of the young players and future picks, but they won't do that either. By staying mediocre they continue to have mediocre attendance and two home playoff games, which they view as a victory compared to the empty seats that would result from a rebuild. However, this strategy guarantees that they will never contend for a championship, which is really a shame because Philadelphia can be a basketball city if the team gives it a reason to.

This thread made me think of a better question: How can the NBA get rid of the 'treadmill' teams that are stuck in the middle with no way out? There's only handful of real contenders and 25 teams are on the treadmill/rebuilding/in need of rebuilding. I think it's ridiculous that it's seen as a death sentence to be a 5 through 8th seed in the NBA. Teams should want to get in the playoffs rather than avoid it like the plague. Stern needs to find a way to increase parity and stop letting players force their way off of teams while they are still under contract.

Toastyy
07-13-2012, 02:51 AM
Its too early to tell if the sixers are a middle class team, this past season yes they were but take iggy out of the equation and its a whole different ball game, you have a team of very young players who could very well become alot better with a few more years to develope, sixers could be a good solid team if they trade iggy for the right piece, with holiday turner and harkless they are in the developement stage

Bravo95
07-13-2012, 03:47 AM
This thread made me think of a better question: How can the NBA get rid of the 'treadmill' teams that are stuck in the middle with no way out?
Get rid of the salary cap/luxury tax penalties, for one.

Hellcrooner
07-13-2012, 03:49 AM
grizzlies unless they make some bold move.

Chronz
07-13-2012, 12:24 PM
In an ideal NBA, there would be 16 contenders and 14 bottom dwellers.