PDA

View Full Version : Why is the NBA against super teams?

number1nykfan25
07-12-2012, 07:04 PM
I can see that they want more equality among teams. I think two or three super teams is better than equality among the league. Still i think the state of the NBA is really good right now.

Cfrey
07-12-2012, 07:07 PM
It's because most kids don't understand anything about the history of the game and think this is the first time something has ever happened like this LOL..

maybe if you are young, like I am (19).. you should do some ****ing research people

nicegoing
07-12-2012, 07:09 PM
What makes you think they are against super teams AT ALL? This isn't the first time there have been super teams.

Cfrey
07-12-2012, 07:11 PM
What makes you think they are against super teams AT ALL? This isn't the first time there have been super teams.

It's common all across this board where people bash the Heat for having more than one elite player.. LOL I see it all over this place so there is definitely people against "super teams" and they have no reason to be.

If there was parody in this league the celtics and lakers wouldn't have as many championships as they do

nicegoing
07-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Look at this dudes sig he copied the image location on his computer and thought an image would show up hahahaha

310Casper
Mostly a jealosy thing.

If Lebron, Wade and Bosh joined anyone elses team tomorrow, that teams fans would be jumping through hoops in joy.

fadedmario
This will end most of the stuff that is going on right now - if you disagree with this - you're going to be sadly mistaken in a few years -

Let’s see how many owners have the stomach to be writing $50 million luxury tax bills every year – double that for teams that exceed the tax in three consecutive years – and swimming in red ink even with teams good enough to get to the conference finals or beyond.

Superteams will be a thing of the past. Two star will still piggy back each other - but three won't happen.

JWO35
07-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Look at this dudes sig he copied the image location on his computer and thought an image would show up hahahaha

:laugh2:

mikekhelxD
07-12-2012, 07:15 PM

Nyahahaa. Maybe he thinks by putting your pictures or animations on your computer is the same as hosting it for online purposes.

ThunderousDemon
07-12-2012, 07:19 PM

:laugh2:

blastmasta26
07-12-2012, 07:20 PM

What makes it even funnier is the fact that he hasn't noticed yet.

number1nykfan25
07-12-2012, 07:30 PM
i noticed a long time ago i just hadent cared to change it.

smith&wesson
07-12-2012, 07:31 PM
I love me some super teams.

cant wait to see

nash, kobe, gasol, bynum :drool:

howard, williams, johnson, g.wallace :drool: (if this happens)

durant, westbrook, harden, ibaka :drool:

lebron, wade, bosh, allen :drool:

rose,deng, noah, boozer :confused:

blastmasta26
07-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Oh.

GoneGuru
07-12-2012, 07:32 PM
the nba is not against super teams because since the start of the league every team has tried to have a super team at one point of another.

its just the teams who have cheap owners and fail at life that are mad

heres looking at you charlotte

smith&wesson
07-12-2012, 07:34 PM
What makes it even funnier is the fact that he hasn't noticed yet.

reaching for a giggle, but really its not that funny :cricket: contribute to the thread or gtfo.

Sixerlover
07-12-2012, 07:36 PM
The league isn't against superteams. The owners and fans of teams that aren't superteams are against it.

Personally I'm fine with it. The league is at it's best when there is a 4 all stars vs 3 all stars matchup on Sunday afternoon. If every game was 1 all star here, 2 fringe all stars there, it would be boring to the casual consumer.

nicegoing
07-12-2012, 07:40 PM

davids22
07-12-2012, 07:51 PM
The HEAT apparently did it in the way that rubbed a lot of people wrong. Never before had 3 free agents decided to join forces and go to the same team in the same off-season/free-agency period. Even though the superteam model has been tried and done before.

OKC's Big 3 of Durant, Westbrook, Harden (Drafted all 3)
Boston's Big 3 of Ray, KG, and Pierce (Drafted pierce, traded for Ray and KG)
SA's Big 3 of Duncan, Manu, and Parker (drafted all 3)
Laker's Big 4 of Kobe, Shaq, Malone, and Payton (drafted Kobe, signed Shaq Malone and Payton in free agency)
Buck's Big 3 of Ray Allen, Sam Cassel, Glenn Robinson (drafted Ray and Robinson, traded for Cassel)

As you can see, there's been plenty of big names getting together in history. It's only because the player's decided to flex their muscle and do it on their own that the owners are up in arms about it. Basically, the Heat started a trend that NY followed and Brooklyn is trying to follow, and the owners hate it. The owners that have a had time getting free agents in the first place (due to city size leading to poor endorsements for players or weather/location of city) are upset that players are starting to take advantage of the power's they've always held (to take their talents wherever they so please). They just never expected anything on the HEAT's level before, and now that it's happened and other teams are following that pattern, the league is trying to crack down. Now whether you agree with it or not is another story.

Dade County
07-12-2012, 07:54 PM
The NBA is not against Super teams.... The national media isn't even really against Super teams, but they pretend that they are to get viewers emotional about a subject, doing this locks in that viewer to tune in to sports radio stations/tv stations and read online sports magazine/articles.

Only the fans/coaches that don't have the top tier players are against these super teams, because even if heir franchise develops a very good team, that team would still find away to loss to a team that has multiple Super Stars ( refs calling fouls ... etc).

StephenP
07-12-2012, 08:30 PM
I think the main reason people are anti-Heat is the way they went about it. If they had just signed and went out and played there wouldn't have been that big of deal made. The 30 minute prime time show and the firework laden introductions rubbed people the wrong way. I won't even mention the "not 1, not 2, not 3..." comments.

And as far as all the crap about superteams of the past. Yes the Lakers and Celtics have quite a few championships, but that was a different era. The Celtics won most of theirs during a time when there were between 8 and 14 teams in the league. It was alot easier to win a title then than it is now. In fact they have only won 4 since the NBA/ABA merger (the same amount as the Spurs).
The superteams from after the merger with the ABA were built mainly through drafting the right people and adding a piece or two somewhere, such as Kareem asking to be traded to LA or NY because Milwaukee didn't fit his cultural needs.

The salary cap was brought in to try to help out smaller markets that wouldn't be able to survive if teams could spend whatever they want. It isn't that the league is against teams being good. It's an attempt to keep 30 teams viable.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-12-2012, 08:34 PM
I think the main reason people are anti-Heat is the way they went about it. If they had just signed and went out and played there wouldn't have been that big of deal made. The 30 minute prime time show and the firework laden introductions rubbed people the wrong way. I won't even mention the "not 1, not 2, not 3..." comments.

And as far as all the crap about superteams of the past. Yes the Lakers and Celtics have quite a few championships, but that was a different era. The Celtics won most of theirs during a time when there were between 8 and 14 teams in the league. It was alot easier to win a title then than it is now. In fact they have only won 4 since the NBA/ABA merger (the same amount as the Spurs).
The superteams from after the merger with the ABA were built mainly through drafting the right people and adding a piece or two somewhere, such as Kareem asking to be traded to LA or NY because Milwaukee didn't fit his cultural needs.

The salary cap was brought in to try to help out smaller markets that wouldn't be able to survive if teams could spend whatever they want. It isn't that the league is against teams being good. It's an attempt to keep 30 teams viable.

Are you kidding me dude? If a superstar said that today, he would be facing complete criticism. Fans today are ignorant of the idea of super teams in the past.

Your 8-14 theory is valid for the 60s but NOT for the 80s with the Super teams of the Celtics and Lakers.

JasonJohnHorn
07-12-2012, 08:35 PM
I'm against super teams, I think it's bad for the league, but the league doesn't seem to care one way or the other. It makes it hard for small markets to compete, and unless every team has a legit shot at competing, then the league isn't worth watching. What's going to happen is that regular season ratings will dip for small market teams like the Cavs, Pistons, Bucks, Minny, while ratings for teams like LA, NY, BK and MIA will go up. It will all likely average out in the end, but for reginal fans the league is going to be hard to watch for a while now. But it can still be done and Indy and OKC have proven.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-12-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm against super teams, I think it's bad for the league, but the league doesn't seem to care one way or the other. It makes it hard for small markets to compete, and unless every team has a legit shot at competing, then the league isn't worth watching. What's going to happen is that regular season ratings will dip for small market teams like the Cavs, Pistons, Bucks, Minny, while ratings for teams like LA, NY, BK and MIA will go up. It will all likely average out in the end, but for reginal fans the league is going to be hard to watch for a while now. But it can still be done and Indy and OKC have proven.

Minny lead all teams in NBA-league pass views. Once they can get national recognition on TNT/ESPN games they'll expand. Rubio has been the savior.

Cavs' Kyrie will be HUGE this year. He's been getting better and better it seems like.

While I also disagree with "super teams" you have to understand that the same thing existed in the 80s with the Lakers and Celtics and that was considered Prime Time for NBA popularity until Michael came around. After that? Jordan won 6 of 8 titles and popularity went up! Few teams dominating will not affect the popularity of the league as a WHOLE - so it's not bad for the NBA as an association, as a business.

StarvingKnick22
07-12-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm not against it unless its an all star team winning nearly every game

StephenP
07-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Are you kidding me dude? If a superstar said that today, he would be facing complete criticism. Fans today are ignorant of the idea of super teams in the past.

Your 8-14 theory is valid for the 60s but NOT for the 80s with the Super teams of the Celtics and Lakers.

Wilt also demanded to be traded to LA for the social scene.

Here was what the Buck's GM at the time said later about Kareem.

"What a lot of people don't realize is, he told us on Oct. 4 that he wanted to be traded. He said there was no negotiating, no talking him out of it. It was just, 'For certain, I need to be traded. Milwaukee is just not compatible. I need something more.' "

The Celtics and Lakers of the 80's were mainly built through drafting and adding the right pieces.

Bird (draft), McHale (draft), Dennis Johnson (trade), Parish (trade), Ainge (draft)

Magic (draft), Kareem (trade), Worthy (draft), Byron Scott (draft day trade), AC Green (draft)

Losoway
07-12-2012, 09:22 PM
It's because most kids don't understand anything about the history of the game and think this is the first time something has ever happened like this LOL..

maybe if you are young, like I am (19).. you should do some ****ing research people

well said . super teams been around since the beginning of the nba

l

YashBoone
07-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Only ones against it are the small market teams owners.

What I cant stand is these little prima donna *****es demanding trades.
I cant stand this bs...it got under my skin with melo, and now this Howard bs has gone above and beyond.

I would smack him if I could reach his ****ing head.

number1nykfan25
07-12-2012, 09:38 PM
i thought there was something in he cba that didnt allow it anymore.

ink
07-12-2012, 09:56 PM

LOL. This again. Might be a good idea not to listen to kids telling us that it was always this way. How would they know? It was not always this way.

And I agree. You should do some research. You could start by reading quotes from MJ, Magic, and Barkley. All of them say that players never banded together like this.

But keep listening to people who are 19 tell you that it was always like this. So ridiculous. btw, where do you get your history of the NBA? PSD? ;)

ink
07-12-2012, 10:00 PM

You do understand that he was talking about the cultural difficulties of being a Muslim in a tiny midwest market right? He would not be facing "complete criticism" for that. That is completely different than the whining by morons like DHoward.

b@llhog24
07-12-2012, 11:16 PM
The HEAT apparently did it in the way that rubbed a lot of people wrong. Never before had 3 free agents decided to join forces and go to the same team in the same off-season/free-agency period. Even though the superteam model has been tried and done before.

OKC's Big 3 of Durant, Westbrook, Harden (Drafted all 3)
Boston's Big 3 of Ray, KG, and Pierce (Drafted pierce, traded for Ray and KG)
SA's Big 3 of Duncan, Manu, and Parker (drafted all 3)
Laker's Big 4 of Kobe, Shaq, Malone, and Payton (drafted Kobe, signed Shaq Malone and Payton in free agency)
Buck's Big 3 of Ray Allen, Sam Cassel, Glenn Robinson (drafted Ray and Robinson, traded for Cassel)

As you can see, there's been plenty of big names getting together in history. It's only because the player's decided to flex their muscle and do it on their own that the owners are up in arms about it. Basically, the Heat started a trend that NY followed and Brooklyn is trying to follow, and the owners hate it. The owners that have a had time getting free agents in the first place (due to city size leading to poor endorsements for players or weather/location of city) are upset that players are starting to take advantage of the power's they've always held (to take their talents wherever they so please). They just never expected anything on the HEAT's level before, and now that it's happened and other teams are following that pattern, the league is trying to crack down. Now whether you agree with it or not is another story.

Wade was drafted bro.

fadedmario
07-12-2012, 11:47 PM
LOL. This again. Might be a good idea not to listen to kids telling us that it was always this way. How would they know? It was not always this way.

And I agree. You should do some research. You could start by reading quotes from MJ, Magic, and Barkley. All of them say that players never banded together like this.

But keep listening to people who are 19 tell you that it was always like this. So ridiculous. btw, where do you get your history of the NBA? PSD? ;)

Right there with you - been watching the NBA since 1981.

Tymathee
07-13-2012, 02:19 PM
its' the teams that these Stars leave that are against it, those teams (looking at Dallas, Cleveland, Charlotte, New Orleans etc) that have to operate on a smaller budget than Miami, LA, New York etc.

They also bought in late thus had to pay more for the franchise, while a lot of the long time owners bought in years ago when the teams were cheaper.

it's just butthurtness.

King41
07-13-2012, 02:34 PM
who wants a 3 star superteam? better a 2 star + good bench team