PDA

View Full Version : Wolves cleaning house to make room for Batum, getting rid of 2 more guys

spreadeagle
07-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Damn the wolves really want this dude
Two days after the NBA free-agency signing period began, the Wolves are signing Nicolas Batum to that big offer sheet today and when done, Portland will have three days to match. Wolves owner Glen Taylor said the team will submit the signed $46.5 million offer sheet to the NBA by the end of business today, a distinction that gives the Blazers one last chance to agree to a sign-and-trade. Minneapolis Star Tribune

The Wolves are willing to offer draft picks, but aren't giving up Derrick Williams or Nikola Pekovic. Taylor said he believes the Blazers have seen the offer sheet. "You call their bluff," he said. Once submitted, you can bet two things: The Blazers will match and they'll take probably nearly all 72 hours to do it. Minneapolis Star Tribune

To make salary-cap room, the Wolves did waive Darko Milicic, ending the Manna from Heaven era by agreeing to pay him $7 million of the remaining $10 million-plus left for the last two years on the contract he signed in July 2010. Minneapolis Star Tribune

Expect buyouts on Martell Webster and Brad Miller for the remaining year on each contract to come as well.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumors.shtml#ixzz20RldrjR3

TeamSeattle
07-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Batum is no Brook Lopez but he's pretty good

Hawkeye15
07-12-2012, 05:43 PM
this has been brought up. Webster, Miller, Beasley, and Randolph were all easy to let walk, Darko amnestied. Webster and Miller's qualifying deadline was extended to this month in case they could be sent away as salary relief in a trade. If they weren't, bye.

bholly
07-12-2012, 05:47 PM
this has been brought up. Webster, Miller, Beasley, and Randolph were all easy to let walk, Darko amnestied. Webster and Miller's qualifying deadline was extended to this month in case they could be sent away as salary relief in a trade. If they weren't, bye.

Was Darko amnestied? The wording in the OP - where they came to an agreement on how much to pay him - sounds like a regular buyout.

Edit: Just read ESPN story. So they amnestied him and he only gets the $7m he had guaranteed? Fair enough, I suppose. Cool.

jiggin
07-12-2012, 05:56 PM
going to clean house only to not get Batum in the end because portland matches...

...then what? Resign these guys or find...better replacements to fill the roster?

Sounds like a very possible step back could end up happening if the blazers do exactly what they have said all off-season long...they will match and retain Batum.

I guess the TW don't need or want any of these guys regardless if they land batum or not.

Sota4Ever
07-12-2012, 06:04 PM
We are also looking at lee and others. Dont worry about us BUD.

mngopher35
07-12-2012, 06:09 PM
I think the plan is to go for Batum and if that doesnt work sign Roy, Schved, maybe Lee, and a big. We would have to move a contract to get lee though.

spreadeagle
07-12-2012, 06:13 PM
We are also looking at lee and others. Dont worry about us BUD.

I spend little time worrying about the Wolves BUD

Sota4Ever
07-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Wasn't directed at you. It was directed at jiggin my bad.

jiggin
07-12-2012, 06:34 PM

LOL

Just doesn't make much sense...but I am sure there is more going on behind the TW FO curtain.

Courtney Lee? He will be a Celtic soon...

not worried, just seems like a lot of posturing and bluffing...but to clear cap space to do this and then end up losing in the bluff seems pretty risky, especially if you end up with a bunch of roster spots or bench spots to fill with not a ton of better options out there, especially for the high contracts going on so far this off-season. I doubt they find better replacements that cost the same or less money, meaning they will be overpaying to replace these "not needed" players.

That makes me wonder if they will be handcuffed going forward with these fill in roster players on bad contracts.

Just thinking ahead, something that is in Sports Management 101, first day of education type stuff. LOL

Cfrey
07-12-2012, 06:37 PM
going to clean house only to not get Batum in the end because portland matches...

...then what? Resign these guys or find...better replacements to fill the roster?

Sounds like a very possible step back could end up happening if the blazers do exactly what they have said all off-season long...they will match and retain Batum.

I guess the TW don't need or want any of these guys regardless if they land batum or not.

so you think that we are just going to stop pursuing upgrades if we can't land Batum?? what kind of thought process is that?? LOL not only would we have **** loads of cap but don't be surprised if we run for Iggy now

jiggin
07-12-2012, 06:39 PM
so you think that we are just going to stop pursuing upgrades if we can't land Batum?? what kind of thought process is that?? LOL not only would we have **** loads of cap but don't be surprised if we run for Iggy now

Just don't know what is out there that is "an upgrade" that won't hinder the teams cap/money situation going forward. Trading isn't probably a realistic option unless they work with a non-playoff team that is looking for cap space relief next year and they move a expiring veteran contract. If its a great all-star caliber type player awesome...but i just don't see a lot of GREAT options for them that are realistic.

But I guess we will find out. :)

I know one thing...if it was as easy as you make it seem/sound they wouldn't be posturing/bluffing with the Blazers on batum...things would be getting done.

Cfrey
07-12-2012, 07:00 PM
or maybe POR GM is a douche

popo85
07-12-2012, 07:03 PM
They need to get rid of Johnson and Webster. Batum is the wing they desperately need next to Love and Rubio, Johnson's been a bust.

jiggin
07-12-2012, 07:04 PM
or maybe POR GM is a douche

yeah...a very well respected Neil Olshey, who built the current Clippers team and is in his first month or two at the helm of the Blazers is a douche....

LOL

The only "douche" move will be waiting the entire 72 hours after the offer sheet is submitted to match it. They will wait that long so that the TW don;t know if they have the cap space to make any other moves while they wait. And that is what almost EVERY NBA team will do if they are going to match. Might as well make em wait and sweat it out.

spreadeagle
07-12-2012, 07:05 PM

haha i was like wtf no worries

Cfrey
07-12-2012, 07:05 PM
just because someone can be successful means he isn't a douche?? LOL

nycericanguy
07-12-2012, 07:12 PM

Isn't Webster a pretty good outside shooter? Which is something MIN needs?

Cfrey
07-12-2012, 07:13 PM

He used to be. I have ZERO idea what happened to him. He's injury plagued all of the time and he completely lost his jump shot.

Punk
07-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Batum is worth it. He can play atleast 3 positions. You could have a Rubio/Batum backcourt or have him at SF for scoring.

Rubio/Ridnour
Batum/Roy
Williams/Budinger/Johnson
Love/?
Pek/?

Fill out that roster with some quality players that that is a Top 4-5 team in the West easily.

GoneGuru
07-12-2012, 07:21 PM
how can those 2 guys be bought out when the last year of their deals are team options?

TeamSeattle
07-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Reports coming in that the wolves are looking to get Lior Eliyahu from Maccabi Electra in Tel Aviv,Israel. I've seen this guy play he's a solid player with some cool post-moves.

David Pick ‏@IAmDPick
Fact: ‪#Twolves‬ waived C Darko Milicic. Assumption: To clear min' & cap for Lior Eliyahu. Prediction: 60-40% chance Eliyahu signs NBA deal.

cbreezy34
07-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Someone pleeeeasseeeee tell me what I am missing in Batum?

Cfrey
07-12-2012, 07:37 PM
^^ A 23 year old player who has a tremendous offense repertoire - can shoot, slash, finish - and can play the defensive side of the ball.. He was stuck in the wrong offense and wasn't utilized properly. You're looking at a player that could come in and fit right in with the young core that we have here in Minnesota (love, rubio, pek).

jiggin
07-12-2012, 07:43 PM
just because someone can be successful means he isn't a douche?? LOL

toche'

JesusNYY_Savior
07-12-2012, 07:51 PM
is Batum even good? never really watched him play

jiggin
07-12-2012, 07:58 PM
is Batum even good? never really watched him play

http://www.awolfamongwolves.com/?p=1032

definately worth a read to give you a little more info about Batum.

Is he worth 11+ million a year (not counting incentives)...no, probably not. But he is solid.

jiggin
07-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Per @BlazerFreeman, Blazers GM Neil Olshey has not received signed offer sheet from Nicolas Batum. Did not indicate whether engaged in S&T

https://twitter.com/jwquick/status/223569863107551232

Losoway
07-12-2012, 09:06 PM
batum is not worth all this

WolvesJagsOs
07-12-2012, 09:52 PM
LOL

Just doesn't make much sense...but I am sure there is more going on behind the TW FO curtain.

Courtney Lee? He will be a Celtic soon...

not worried, just seems like a lot of posturing and bluffing...but to clear cap space to do this and then end up losing in the bluff seems pretty risky, especially if you end up with a bunch of roster spots or bench spots to fill with not a ton of better options out there, especially for the high contracts going on so far this off-season. I doubt they find better replacements that cost the same or less money, meaning they will be overpaying to replace these "not needed" players.

That makes me wonder if they will be handcuffed going forward with these fill in roster players on bad contracts.

Just thinking ahead, something that is in Sports Management 101, first day of education type stuff. LOL

You really believe that? According to people in the TWolves org. and insiders, we have talked to C.Lee everyday since the 1st, we are very much interested in him and have a solid shot.

Hawkeye15
07-12-2012, 10:18 PM

no, he isn't. His lower back robbed any nice career he would have had. I honestly feel bad for him while watching, though he will play for an NBA team as long as his body holds up, he is a decent deep bench guy.

Hawkeye15
07-12-2012, 10:20 PM
yeah...a very well respected Neil Olshey, who built the current Clippers team and is in his first month or two at the helm of the Blazers is a douche....

LOL

The only "douche" move will be waiting the entire 72 hours after the offer sheet is submitted to match it. They will wait that long so that the TW don;t know if they have the cap space to make any other moves while they wait. And that is what almost EVERY NBA team will do if they are going to match. Might as well make em wait and sweat it out.

I have been very surprised at the immaturity of Olshey's comments in the past 36 hours. He is absolutely being a douche, and he will most likely fulfill your criteria on top of his idiotic comments.

jiggin
07-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Update 8pm: Dwight Jaynes from CSNNW reports that Batum has signed the offer sheet, and it's being held by the Timberwolves. He also notes that the Wolves have added a 15% trade kicker, and are now offering a player "not previously part of the talks". Jerry Zgoda from the Star Tribune reports that Batum's contract includes bonuses for All-Star appearances.

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingdwight/?blockID=739522&feedID=8351

https://twitter.com/JerryZgoda/status/223611994245304320

T.I.-KingofRap
07-13-2012, 12:04 AM
dude goes ham

hopefully he doesn't wear 88 tho

maybe 15, 18, 22

jiggin
07-13-2012, 12:15 AM
I have been very surprised at the immaturity of Olshey's comments in the past 36 hours. He is absolutely being a douche, and he will most likely fulfill your criteria on top of his idiotic comments.

the only comment i have heard out of his mouth that was "interesting" was the: "I guess he's into mosquito bites and frost bite." comment...what others has he made that were probably jokes that could come off insensitive to TW fans?

Toastyy
07-13-2012, 02:54 AM
isnt brad miller retired?

FLWolvesFan
07-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Miller is retiring, his contract is merely on the books for cap and trading purposes. Webster can't stay healthy and certainly isn't the same player he used to be. Neither was going to be back regardless of an offer to Batum or whoever.

Aleksandar
07-13-2012, 07:38 AM
I don't see why is this thread opened. Buying out their contracts was expected, regardless of Batum.

I would also like to wish Webster all the best. He's not good enough to have him on a paylist, but I appreciate all he's done last year. Despite having health problems, he was as ready as he could be for every game.

Chronz
07-13-2012, 12:16 PM

LOL

I would think more of him if he wasnt dumb enough to give Caron the contract he did, now we are stuck with him.