PDA

View Full Version : Report: Jordan Farmar turns down NBA offers; signs to play in Europe

Fresno
07-12-2012, 05:04 PM
The former Nets backup point guard, traded to Atlanta Tuesday as part of the package the Nets used to acquire all-star guard Joe Johnson, will be bought out by the Hawks today for $1.5 million. And once he clears waivers and is officially a free agent, Farmar, who played in Israel last summer during the NBA lockout, intends to go play in Europe, with Anadolu Efes, of Istanbul.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19571679/report-jordan-farmar-to-sign-with-turkish-team-after-buyout

Strange career move.

justinnum1
07-12-2012, 05:05 PM
he probably wants to be considered a great player in a ****** league instead of a ****** player in the best league

greg_ory_2005
07-12-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm gonna miss those ears. :cry:

pd7631
07-12-2012, 05:10 PM
In Europe he gets paid to PLAY basketball.

In the NBA he gets paid to WATCH basketball.

In the end, basketball is still a game, and games are a lot more fun to play than they are to watch.

Fresno
07-12-2012, 05:11 PM
he probably wants to be considered a great player in a ****** league instead of a ****** player in the best league

Yeah it doesn't make much sense for him unless that is the exact reason.

He put up 10 PPG last season on 44% from 3, he could've easily found another back-up PG job at maybe $2-3 Million per year.

Must want to be treated like a superstar on a European team

lexecutioner
07-12-2012, 05:12 PM

In the end, basketball is still a game, and games are a lot more fun to play than they are to watch.

This.
and goodluck to Farmar

Fresno
07-12-2012, 05:12 PM

But its not like he's an end of the bench guy fighting to stay in the NBA.

He averages 20 MPG and has won 2 NBA Championships.

Avenged
07-12-2012, 05:17 PM
It's not like this guy is a flat out scrub. The guy just put up a very efficient season.

pd7631
07-12-2012, 05:18 PM
But its not like he's an end of the bench guy fighting to stay in the NBA.

He averages 20 MPG and has won 2 NBA Championships.

True.

Maybe the fact that he's won 2 championships makes it easier for him to want to play a bigger role on a European team though.

Cfrey
07-12-2012, 05:19 PM
I heard he actually met a girl in Turkey and fell in love. So this has nothing to do with basketball reasons.

NYtilIdie
07-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Mmmmmkay

Cimos21
07-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Man you guys are missing the biggest reason why he wants to play there. He wants to rejoin with ....drumroll please....

THE MACHINE!

Best backcourt in Turkey, Sasha and Farmar!

Chronz
07-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Sucks cuz he was just starting to get his career on the right track, he was stuck in the triangle for many years and was undervalued because of it. Now he had one good year but hes in that position where hes not quite good enough to command a starting gig/salary, but too good to accept a bench role/salary. He could prolly stand to make more money elsewhere because I doubt teams are looking to pay high dollars for a backup.

Becks2307
07-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Atlanta or Turkey? he made a good choice, turkey is a fantastic country to live in, plus how often do you get to see the rest of the world. He already has his chips too

Lake_Show2416
07-12-2012, 05:27 PM
get paid while vacationing in europe for a couple years & just come back like Josh Childress

jiggin
07-12-2012, 05:29 PM
He knows he is going to a team that can not compete. This is the status of the NBA now days.

So, what glamore is there in playing for a ****** NBA team that can't compete in the conference because of how teams are stacking up all-stars. He can make the same and sometimes even more money over in euro ball. Its really a VERY GOOD career move.

The NBA isn't going to be very competetive outside a handful of teams. If you aren't on one of those teams, go after bigger money elsewhere to support your family and your life.

Sssmush
07-12-2012, 05:54 PM
They probably offered him more money, also he looks kinda Turkish. Also there are a lot of hot women in Turkey, and some really swanky jet-set vacation spots and luxury resorts and clubs there. He could do a lot worse to be honest... unless Syria and Turky start bangin'.

EDUTEXANS
07-12-2012, 05:59 PM
he actually played really well last two seasons in New Jersey. 10 points a game, about 4 assists, good three point threat

Cimos21
07-12-2012, 06:05 PM
I might add that Farmar is Jewish (hes from the valley, not that that means your Jewish, but I know he is, my friend went to Taft High school with him and Steve Smith of the NYG). This will put him very close to the sacred land. Could be a big point for him if he is an extremely religious person.

C-Wick925
07-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Instanbul is beautiful compared to almost ALL cities in america that he would be playing basketball in, As someone else stated he already has two rings.

If he can make around the same amount of money and he feels he and his family would rather live there i say go for it.. Id love to visit Istanbul, Very very nice views

Bruno
07-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Farmar already got his titles. Time to go get paid. Gotta do what you gotta do. I'd welcome him back to LAL for the right price. He's better than Blake.

Bruno
07-12-2012, 06:29 PM
I might add that Farmar is Jewish (hes from the valley, not that that means your Jewish, but I know he is, my friend went to Taft High school with him and Steve Smith of the NYG). This will put him very close to the sacred land. Could be a big point for him if he is an extremely religious person.

Yeah, Farmar went to Taft right in Woodland Hills.

justjames
07-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Dude played a significant role in getting two rings in the NBA. Good for him. I hope Ear Jordan wins over there too

Cimos21
07-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Yeah, Farmar went to Taft right in Woodland Hills.

Yea where he played basketball with Steve Smith the WR on Philly... I think I said NYG earlier...my bad. Basically the bad Steve Smith.

Losoway
07-12-2012, 09:05 PM
he just wants to be appreciated and not treated like a scrub

NYKalltheway
07-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Good move for him. Turkish teams have money to spend and the league is actually pretty good. And he's not considered a superstar btw as some said, just a good player...

rurichie
07-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Supposedly he was averaging like 20 ppg over there and they loved him just as much he loved them so i'm not too surprised

popo85
07-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Being a fan of his since he was at UCLA, wish he stayed with the Lakers turned out much better then that scrub Blake but it was his decision too leave. He, Ariza, Ronny made a fun bench mob to watch.

popo85
07-12-2012, 09:50 PM

Taft was one of our biggest rivals i went to Chatsworth, one of the founders of a Laker site i know also went to Taft with them both.