PDA

View Full Version : Pacers sign Augustin

spreadeagle
07-12-2012, 04:36 PM
The Bobcats have withdrawn their qualifying offer to D.J. Augustin.

The Pacers have reached a one-year deal with Augustin, according to a report from Mike Wells.

Indiana traded Darren Collison on Wednesday with the belief they would acquire a point guard shortly thereafter.
Via Marc Stein/ESPN (via Twitter)

TeamSeattle
07-12-2012, 04:37 PM
@MikeWellsNBA
Pacers have agreed to a 1 year deal with DJ Augustin, according to a source.

GoPacers33
07-12-2012, 04:39 PM
We are deeper than ever now. i think this is a great signing

Fresno
07-12-2012, 04:42 PM
PG: George Hill/DJ Augustin
SG: Paul George/Lance Stephenson
SF: Danny Granger/Gerald Green
PF: David West/Tyler Hansbrough/Miles Plumlee
C: Roy Hibbert/ Ian Mahinmi

Thats a team with some good depth.

Don't see how they really improved much from last season. Looks about equal to the 2011/2012 team.

Hawkeye15
07-12-2012, 04:44 PM
DJ just had the shortest lived free agency ever.

EDUTEXANS
07-12-2012, 04:45 PM
great signing. Still don't see why they traded Collison for Mahimi, they could have gotten better value for him

GoPacers33
07-12-2012, 04:46 PM

Don't see how they really improved much from last season. Looks about equal to the 2011/2012 team.

I think it's a better team. Not by much but it's a better team. Im hoping Scola gets amnestied so we can make him our backup PF. That would push this team to title contention IMO

clydebino
07-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Very nice move. I'm assuming he is going to back up Hill?

Lake_Show2416
07-12-2012, 04:48 PM

solid big man depth, could use another spark off the bench but ya i dont see that big of an improvement

J_M_B
07-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Well that didn't take long :laugh2:

I do like this addition though, very solid from top to bottom.

spreadeagle
07-12-2012, 04:51 PM
solid big man depth, could use another spark off the bench but ya i dont see that big of an improvement

did the pacers keep Barbosa...hes a good scoring punch of the bench

IndyHeatjman
07-12-2012, 04:54 PM
does anyone know the salary for this one year experiment? if its anywhere over the 5mil exception...why not offer mayo the contract instead of augustine? No doubt its good to have a past first pg but this team dosent really need that. they need a player who can create his own shot, idk whats going on with the front office now but looks like walsh and pritchard need a talent advisor cuz they are after all the wrong pieces this year. This is why no one goes to pacer games, simon wont pay for a player for the fans to come see.

TeamSeattle
07-12-2012, 04:55 PM
does anyone know the salary for this one year experiment? if its anywhere over the 5mil exception...why not offer mayo the contract instead of augustine? No doubt its good to have a past first pg but this team dosent really need that. they need a player who can create his own shot, idk whats going on with the front office now but looks like walsh and pritchard need a talent advisor cuz they are after all the wrong pieces this year. This is why no one goes to pacer games, simon wont pay for a player for the fans to come see.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

As @MikeWellsNBA reports, Indy has agreed to a 1-year deal with DJ Augustin. Contract is worth $3.5 million, source tells Y!

Fresno
07-12-2012, 04:57 PM
did the pacers keep Barbosa...hes a good scoring punch of the bench

No, they had to renounce his rights/cap hold along with AJ Price in order to create the cap space they're using to bring in Augustin & Green. Because Hill & Hibbert haven't officially signed their deals they're accounting for $10.23 Million in cap holds.

They still have cap space to bring back Barbosa.

GoPacers33
07-12-2012, 04:58 PM

That's exactly what we need. We do need a player who can create their own shot but a pass first pg is exactly what the Pacers have been looking for

spreadeagle
07-12-2012, 05:00 PM
No, they had to renounce his rights/cap hold along with AJ Price in order to create the cap space they're using to bring in Augustin & Green. Because Hill & Hibbert haven't officially signed their deals they're accounting for $10.23 Million in cap holds.

They still have cap space to bring back Barbosa.

ah, cool beans

LTBaByyy
07-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Great signing but its not an improvement from last year team

They are still a good 3 seed at best, 4 seed, or 5 seed at worst

IndyHeatjman
07-12-2012, 05:08 PM
This is exactly what the pacers need to stay mediocre and cheap. They let all that talent available this offseason slip through their fingers cuz they,re cheap. Cheap wont win championships. However, augustine is an upgrade from collison. I just wish they would pay for a player that would put them over the top and make them clearly better than last year.

GoPacers33
07-12-2012, 05:13 PM
This is exactly what the pacers need to stay mediocre and cheap. They let all that talent available this offseason slip through their fingers cuz they,re cheap. Cheap wont win championships. However, augustine is an upgrade from collison. I just wish they would pay for a player that would put them over the top and make them clearly better than last year.

who did u have in mind that was avaiable this offseason that would push the Pacers over the top. Deron Williams? no chance he ever comes here. Steve Nash? same thiong as Williams. There wasnt great talent avaiable this offseason abd the Pacers did what was needed and that was to keep the core and add depth

TheNumber37
07-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Good signing, but this team is still missing that 6th man scorer.

Mayo?

IndyHeatjman
07-12-2012, 05:19 PM
true they didnt have a chance to get williams or nash or gordon, etc. OJ mayo would've fit perfectly, thats really who i thought they should've got this offseason.

GoLeafsGo
07-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Smart move for indy

eibbor
07-12-2012, 05:21 PM
true they didnt have a chance to get williams or nash or gordon, etc. OJ mayo would've fit perfectly, thats really who i thought they should've got this offseason.

They still can

IndyHeatjman
07-12-2012, 05:26 PM
i hope so, mayo would make them 2nd seed in eastern conference.

black1605
07-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Good for DJ, I wish him nothing but the best. He can be a solid role player, maybe more if he asserts himself.

Jarvo
07-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Pacers are the 3rd best team in the East.

Jarvo
07-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Now if they get Mayo :jumpy:

EDUTEXANS
07-12-2012, 05:56 PM
if they can't get Mayo, they could go after Shannon Brown to improve their bench

Beantownsboss
07-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Solid deal IMO.

DaBulls311
07-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Do the Pacers still have cap space to sign Mayo?

nbrod
07-12-2012, 06:25 PM
So who's gonna start at point dj or hill?

black1605
07-12-2012, 06:43 PM
So who's gonna start at point dj or hill?

Hill.

IndyHeatjman
07-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Hill will start, hes a fan fav and has size on DJ. i wont be suprised to see vogel alternate throughout the season though.

MrfadeawayJB
07-12-2012, 08:18 PM
I guess in the Pacers FO opinion Augustine>Collison

ombada
07-13-2012, 02:54 AM
I guess in the Pacers FO opinion Augustine>Collison

I dont know much about Augustin, but Collison was a defensive liability and turned the ball over way too much. For every good game he played, he had 3 bad ones directly following.

i liked collison, and wanted him to do well, but he just gets pushed around too easily. However, he can get to the hoop at will, but he doesnt have the vision to kick it back out and ends up on the wrong end of a blocked shot too often. He can shoot, but is streaky. Hot n Cold.

Losoway
07-13-2012, 02:56 AM

they didnt improve at all .. they should have dealt granger

ombada
07-13-2012, 03:16 AM

I think that this whole notion of not improving is ridiculous. I understand why we did it this way. The size of Hibberts contract, and the fact that he is an RFA and we have cap tied up in the contract means we couldnt just go straight for FA's. we had to make deals to get the best bench possible for a low price.

here are the facts. Jones = black hole on offense. Collison = defensive liability and declining every year statistically since coming to the NBA. What i just wrote 2 posts back about Collison is what every Pacer fan saw this year. In the playoffs we suffered greatly when Hibbert went to the Bench because we had Lou Amundson (who is a great energy guy, but not a C) backing up Hibbert. We have added another young true Center. Hansbrough played badly all year last year. Now we can move Plumlee to PF and have three 6'11 + guys in our big man rotation. We also have a lot more scoring coming off the bench, which was a big problem last year.

We have already improved, but if we can add one more scorer (hopefully a SG), this years offseason, in my mind, will be considered a big success. Bring back the core starters and improve on the bench.

ombada
07-13-2012, 03:20 AM

also for who? Who could we have dealt Granger for?

DitchDat
07-13-2012, 05:24 AM
I really like all the Pacers' moves so far. They did some smart things.