PDA

View Full Version : MJ laughed at Kobe's Dream Team Boast

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-12-2012, 12:59 PM
http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/basketball/story/_/id/8159879/2012-olympics-michael-jordan-laughed-kobe-bryant-dream-team-boast

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Michael Jordan said there's no way Kobe Bryant and this year's USA Olympic basketball team could've beaten the 1992 Dream Team.

Jordan told The Associated Press Thursday that he laughed -- "I absolutely laughed" -- when hearing Bryant's comments that the U.S. squad training in Las Vegas could take Jordan and company.

Jordan said there's "no comparison" which team is better.

"For him to compare those two teams is not one of the smarter things he ever could have done," Jordan said prior to playing in a celebrity golf tournament in Charlotte.

Jordan said the 1992 team, which included 11 future Hall of Famers and won its six Olympic games by an average of more than 43 points en route to capturing the gold medal, was a better overall team largely because of the experience it put on the floor.

"I heard Kobe say we were not athletic," said a smiling Jordan as he sat in a golf cart puffing on his cigar while waiting to tee off. "But we were smart. He said we were too old, but I was 29 and in the prime of my career. Pip (Scottie Pippen) was 26 or 27, (Charles) Barkley was 29, Patrick (Ewing) was 29 and Chris Mullin was 29. Almost everybody was still in their 20s."

Jordan's response came after Bryant told reporters in Las Vegas that this year's team could pull out a win against the Dream Team if they faced each other in their primes. Bryant said this year's team has a "bunch of racehorses, players who are incredibly athletic, while the Dream Team consisted mainly of players at the tail end of their careers."

Bryant's comments received immediate and sharp rebuttal from some members of the Dream Team, including Barkley.

Jordan joined in on Thursday.

"Most of us were in the prime of our careers, at a point where athleticism doesn't really matter," said Jordan, the owner of the Charlotte Bobcats. "You have to know how to play the game."

Jordan shook his head when asked why he thinks Bryant made the comments.

"I imagine he's trying to say it to legitimize his own Dream Team," Jordan said. "But to me it's not even a question what team is better."

Jordan said Bryant is certainly entitled to his opinion -- even though he said it's just plain wrong.

"For him to make that comparison, it's one of those things where it creates conversation," Jordan said. "I guess we'll never know. I'd like to think that we had 11 Hall of Famers on that team, and whenever they get 11 Hall of Famers, you call and ask me who had the better Dream Team. Remember now, they learned from us. We didn't learn from them."

COOLbeans
07-12-2012, 01:02 PM
He needed to. Kobe's claims were asinine.

Cfrey
07-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Well first off Kobe is an idiot.

Second off I don't think the claims were as absurd as people think.

And thirdly I find it absolutely hilarious that jordan is going to talk about "smarts". Dog you own the ****ing bobcats.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Jordan and Kobe's mentalities seem very similar.

Becks2307
07-12-2012, 01:10 PM

And thirdly I find it absolutely hilarious that jordan is going to talk about "smarts". Dog you own the ****ing bobcats.

I don't see the correlation between on court skills and running a team.

Gibby23
07-12-2012, 01:14 PM
If Wade, Howard, and Rose were healthy, the 2012 team would be better.

Cfrey
07-12-2012, 01:14 PM

Don't you think if you knew how to play basketball at such a high level.. We are talking THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME... He'd be able to evaluate talent a little better? Or make decisions that would help the team a little better??

The answer is MJ is just that ****ing stupid.

JC_
07-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Jordan and Kobe's mentalities seem very similar.

Kobe has always been a Jordan wannabe. He's the equivelent of those Michael Jackson worshippers who try and copy everything about him, from facial expressions to different mannerism's.

LAKERMANIA
07-12-2012, 01:16 PM
I think if Dwight, Wade and Rose were healthy the 2012 team would have a better chance, even though I still think it would be a good game

younggunn113
07-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Remember now, they learned from us. We didn't learn from them.

Honestly one of the more dumb comments. The 92 team obviously preceded this team. They can't help that.

I agree, I do not think it's that crazy of a statement. Jordan mentions all of those players, but Magic had been retired and Bird had just retired. I honestly despise Lebron, but the steps he took this post season make a huge difference. If Lebron played like he did two years ago in the playoffs, '92 would roll. If he played like he did this post season, with Paul/Deron, Kobe and Durant around him, it's a good ballgame.

I still think the biggest advantage is at the PG position for '12. Having Paul/Deron/Westbrook is unreal. I love, LOVE, Stockton, but he would not have stood a chance against those guards.

BigBongTheory

You won't, It's just Cfrey talking out of his ***.

terp10
Can someone PLEASE explain to me why no one is mentioning the fact that Kobe was asked if they could beat the Dream Team? It's not like he was thinking about them, or checking about them. THEY ASKED HIM. What is he supposed to say, we'll get beat by 40? We'll run away? He didn't say they were better, he just said we could win. And i think it's ridiculous to think that they wouldn't have a chance.

Here's the video where Kobe was ASKED. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/07/kobe-picks-this-olympic-team-over-dream-team/1

BigBongTheory
07-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Kobe has always been a Jordan wannabe. He's the equivelent of those Michael Jackson worshippers who try and copy everything about him, from facial expressions to different mannerism's.

And who has done it the best?

BigBongTheory
07-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Can someone PLEASE explain to me why no one is mentioning the fact that Kobe was asked if they could beat the Dream Team? It's not like he was thinking about them, or checking about them. THEY ASKED HIM. What is he supposed to say, we'll get beat by 40? We'll run away? He didn't say they were better, he just said we could win. And i think it's ridiculous to think that they wouldn't have a chance.

Here's the video where Kobe was ASKED. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/07/kobe-picks-this-olympic-team-over-dream-team/1

Exactly.

He sits down and is asked several questions everyday, this would be worth talking about if he came out and said it on his own, But he was asked this.

pf289
I hate to give credit to Skip Bayless, but he is right on this debate. The Dream Team was awesome on paper with all the HOF names and incredible talent, on paper. But, Magic and Bird were old. They were all but nothing on that team. Bird especially, he was injured and pretty much useless. MJ was that team. I really think if Wade and Rose were healthy, that the 2012 team would run circles around the Dream Team. Even without them, the 2012 team is not far off from the DT.

aLau10
Honestly, I enjoyed the old style of basketball much more than the current style, so I'm somewhat biased as to who would win (Obv I'd say the 92's Dream Team). Nonetheless, like what Jordan says, this is simply a comparison of nonsense. No one would ever know which is the better team, can't possibly have this years Dream Team time travel back to '92 to play that years Dream Team. It sure is one damn thing to fantasize about, but realistically both team are just as damn good, and its simply impossible to compare the two. :eyebrow:

BigBongTheory
07-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Rose, Paul
Kobe, Wade
Lebron, Durant
Love
Dwight

That team would compete with 92.

Cfrey
07-12-2012, 01:21 PM
You won't, It's just Cfrey talking out of his ***.

Do you really think its just talking out of my ***...? On a regular day, yes there is no correlation between on court talent and running an actual business... But I'm not talking about all the numbers, all the x's and o's of owning a professional team. I'm talking about BASKETBALL decisions from the GOAT. Why has someone supposedly so SMART, so SAVVY made some of the dumbest basketball moves I have ever seen?? HAHAHAHA i will never know.

DoubleDragon
07-12-2012, 01:24 PM

Yeah, he's a big fake and a wannabe:rolleyes:
5 rings, 5th (for now) on the all-time scoring list, nearly every Laker record, 4 All-star game MVPs, 2 Finals MVPs, countless NBA records and top 5's.

What a poser.

I was a huge MJ fan (I grew up in Chicago before moving) and I think MJ's the superior player, yes.
But please.

When any "Michael Jackson" wannabes mange to sell 180 million albums, I think at that point you could call them legit.

Was Kobe influenced by MJ? No doubt.
But have some perspective.

NYK|NYY
07-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Said a smiling Jordan as he sat in a golf cart puffing on his cigar while waiting to tee off.

Haha.

carlessyen
07-12-2012, 01:25 PM
LOL that guy just said if Howard and Rose were Healthy they would be Better LMAO. Funniest thing I heard all day. Howard is a Joke. Ewing would destroy him on a nightly basis there is no one who can play post ofense or defense in this league anymore. Its a joke 2012 would be trying to flop all game. As Bird, Ewing, Barkley, Malone made them look ridiculous under the basket.

BigBongTheory
Do you really think its just talking out of my ***... On a regular day, yes there is no correlation between on court talent and running an actual business... But I'm not talking about all the numbers, all the x's and o's of owning a professional team. I'm talking about BASKETBALL decisions. Why someone supposedly so SMART, so SAVVY, with basketball knowledge has made some of the dumbest basketball moves I have ever seen?? HAHAHAHA i will never know.

I get what your saying but it's not like they haven't been screwed over time and again as well. Who wasn't going to take Adam Morrison in the top 10? The guy was dominant for Gonzaga and looked to be great in the NBA. If Charlotte had gotten the #1 pick I'm sure he wouldn't be stupid enough to not take Anthony Davis do you think? Charlotte "missed" out on the #1 pick last year, do you think he wouldn't have picked Kyrie? He's not the only one running the ship, but he has made some ****** decisions, But busts happen and if you look at Portland and the draft history from the last 6 years you could say their management is just as bad when it comes to draft day.

THINKBLUE15
Who cares.

I love watching my hometown Lakers very much but the NBA is very unappealing otherwise. It's all about egos, talking smack, causing controversy, redundant comparisons, etc. More so than any other sport. It grows tired.

I love Kobe to death for giving me so many great memories the past 16 seasons he's been playing here but sometimes it gets hard to defend him. Just because you have the "right" to be cocky (being an all time great) doesn't mean you have to be.

Don't get me wrong. This isn't a Kobe bashing. Kobe is the least of the NBA's worries personality wise. He's matured greatly over the years, has a veteran mentality, doesn't tweet, is very well spoken, and has come to be respectful for the most part.

But I can't stand the NBA outside of the Lakers. I'm only 20 years old and I hate what sports, mainly the NBA, has become.

Even the fans. "You mad?" "Haters gonna hate" "Cool story bro"...the list goes on. It's just annoying. The players have no respect, and it trickles down to the fans.

"Then don't watch" is probably the response I will get. Which is disrespectful and predictable. I am just giving my opinion. The NBA is so WWE right now.

hidalgo
He needed to. Kobe's claims were asinine.asinine asi-ten as-eleven asi-twelve!!!!!

kobe is such a dildo. impossible to like him

MadBomber
07-12-2012, 01:26 PM

word

BigBongTheory
07-12-2012, 01:26 PM
LOL that guy just said if Howard and Rose were Healthy they would be Better LMAO. Funniest thing I heard all day. Howard is a Joke. Ewing would destroy him on a nightly basis there is no one who can play post ofense or defense in this league anymore. Its a joke 2012 would be trying to flop all game. As Bird, Ewing, Barkley, Malone made them look ridiculous under the basket.

Your not a biased homer at all. :rolleyes:

freedas
07-12-2012, 01:28 PM
He needed to. Kobe's claims were asinine.

yep asinine asiten asi eleven

cssdmark
07-12-2012, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=Cfrey;22906936]Don't you think if you knew how to play basketball at such a high level.. We are talking THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME... He'd be able to evaluate talent a little better? Or make decisions that would help the team a little better??

The answer is MJ is just that ****ing stupid.[/QUOTE

My kind of stupid 6 rings, 6 mvps in the championship and undefeated in every championship he appeared in. How many mvps during the regular season. We all know who Kobe patterns himself after, and off the court endeavors beside Charlotte basketball team. Worth how much money. Damn I wish I was that stupid and I am sure you do too.

BigBlueCrew
07-12-2012, 01:29 PM
surprised Jordan took so long to respond. Kobe has been a little too chatty lately. Needs to stay away from the microphones.

Cfrey
07-12-2012, 01:30 PM
I get what your saying but it's not like they haven't been screwed over time and again as well. Who wasn't going to take Adam Morrison in the top 10? The guy was dominant for Gonzaga and looked to be great in the NBA. If Charlotte had gotten the #1 pick I'm sure he wouldn't be stupid enough to not take Anthony Davis do you think? Charlotte "missed" out on the #1 pick last year, do you think he wouldn't have picked Kyrie? He's not the only one running the ship, but he has made some ****** decisions, But busts happen and if you look at Portland and the draft histroy from the last 6 years you could say their management is just as bad when it comes to draft day.

I mean dude I get what you're saying as well.. Obviously there are times when the right decision could be made by a 5 year old.. so yes I would expect Michael to make the right call on guys like Anthony Davis or Kyrie if the opportunity had arose.. however it still doesn't change my opinion on him in terms of the basketball decisions he's made of the court.. it just doesn't make sense to me.. doesn't make sense how a player of his caliber could make such poor decisions..

I used to play competitive ball all through high school.. I was a pretty good player. I was a SMART player. Wasn't the most athletic but I understood the game. I was a shooter. I can read talent from a mile a way... its not that I'm some unreal evaluator of talent but I understand the game enough where I'd be able to make half decent decisions if I needed to on a player.. so yes there will always be questionable decisions that every organization makes.. but Jordans track record is just terrible and for someone who is the GOAT?? I just don't understand.

Cfrey
07-12-2012, 01:31 PM
[QUOTE=Cfrey;22906936]Don't you think if you knew how to play basketball at such a high level.. We are talking THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME... He'd be able to evaluate talent a little better? Or make decisions that would help the team a little better??

The answer is MJ is just that ****ing stupid.[/QUOTE

My kind of stupid 6 rings, 6 mvps in the championship and undefeated in every championship he appeared in. How many mvps during the regular season. We all know who Kobe patterns himself after, and off the court endeavors beside Charlotte basketball team. Worth how much money. Damn I wish I was that stupid and I am sure you do too.

Is this a real response? You're telling me you couldn't be stupid to be able to put a basketball in the hoop better than anyone else?? Lol common

mjt20mik
07-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Jordan is right. Game was more physical then too. Trying to imagine Griffin or Harden play with those guys. They would get bullied.

valade16
I hate to give credit to Skip Bayless, but he is right on this debate. The Dream Team was awesome on paper with all the HOF names and incredible talent, on paper. But, Magic and Bird were old. They were all but nothing on that team. Bird especially, he was injured and pretty much useless. MJ was that team. I really think if Wade and Rose were healthy, that the 2012 team would run circles around the Dream Team. Even without them, the 2012 team is not far off from the DT.

Only Jordan? :laugh:

Barkely, Malone, and Robinson all had 25+ PERs during those years...

Stockton, Jordan, Barkely, Malone, Robinson

That starting lineup has a combined PER of 129!

What is the Redeem Teams?

hidalgo
kobe wouldn't mouth off so much if he didn't have those 3 free Shaq titles,(bloating his titles) that Shaq could have won just as easily with Iverson or Ray Allen in Kobe's place. 2 titles as the man (and only thanks to Gasol for kwame trade rigged by jerry west to help his old team, crooked as hell), Duncan 4 titles as the man, MJ 6

terp10
07-12-2012, 01:36 PM
kobe wouldn't mouth off so much if he didn't have those 3 free Shaq titles, that Shaq could have won just as easily with Iverson or Ray Allen in Kobe's place. 2 titles as the man, Duncan 4 titles as the man, MJ 6

B!tch shut up. So b/c he didn't win FMVP then those titles were free? Ok cool. SO in that case. Duncan only has 3 as the man (TP won the last FMVP). Kareem has 2, Magic has 3, Shaq has 3, Bird has 2. But i'm sure you wouldn't say it about them would you? Exactly STFU.

Kobe was asked by a reporter you dumbass. It's not like he came up and spoke about them from no where.

I Rock Shaqs
07-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Don't you think if you knew how to play basketball at such a high level.. We are talking THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME... He'd be able to evaluate talent a little better? Or make decisions that would help the team a little better??

You are stupid, that is all.

Sadds The Gr8
07-12-2012, 01:39 PM
he's right.

BigBongTheory
07-12-2012, 01:39 PM
I mean dude I get what you're saying as well.. Obviously there are times when the right decision could be made by a 5 year old.. so yes I would expect Michael to make the right call on guys like Anthony Davis or Kyrie if the opportunity had arose.. however it still doesn't change my opinion on him in terms of the basketball decisions he's made of the court.. it just doesn't make sense to me.. doesn't make sense how a player of his caliber could make such poor decisions..

I used to play competitive ball all through high school.. I was a pretty good player. I was a SMART player. Wasn't the most athletic but I understood the game. I was a shooter. I can read talent from a mile a way... its not that I'm some unreal evaluator of talent but I understand the game enough where I'd be able to make half decent decisions if I needed to on a player.. so yes there will always be questionable decisions that every organization makes.. but Jordans track record is just terrible and for someone who is the GOAT?? I just don't understand.

And I agree with that, I think other teams are overshadowed a bit in the discussion because of how bad things have turned out for Charlotte time and again, It's like Gilchrist. People are going to wait and see how he turns out, If he is a bust people will not wait to **** on Jordan and the Bobcats, but if he turns out to be a stud, people will be quiet, and consistently tell everyone "well he was the 2nd pick in the draft". That's the way it goes all the time, well atleast as a Lakers fan even though I LOVE draft days, I don't have to put up with much of it from an analytic point of view. :D

vdv36
07-12-2012, 01:40 PM

:puke:

carruthers32
07-12-2012, 01:41 PM

I don't think he was talking about which players have the better smarts to GM a team. :confused:

Slug3
07-12-2012, 01:41 PM
The 92 team played against world talent that was garbage compared to today. It's honestly hard to compare these teams because basketball has evolved so much since then.

Bigbadmoffo
07-12-2012, 01:42 PM

You're dumb! Just cause a coach is great doesn't mean that he should be a great basketball player. Things don't always translate but it doesn't hurt is legacy.

pf289
07-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Only Jordan? :laugh:

Barkely, Malone, and Robinson all had 25+ PERs during those years...

Stockton, Jordan, Barkely, Malone, Robinson

That starting lineup has a combined PER of 129!

What is the Redeem Teams?

Look at the matchups though. Lebron (who I hate mind you) would run train on them. Jordan and Kobe would be a fun matchup with Jordan coming out on top. Malone and Robinson would be the only area that could hurt Chandler and Love etc

club america
07-12-2012, 01:45 PM
People need to get off kobes sack i know most you hate him but he has no fault in this the reporters asked him and he answered its not like hes supposed to say oh yeah 92 wud of blown us out by 40 too and he didnt even exagerate he said they could win, not that 2012 team was extremely superior and wud destroy them.

Cfrey
07-12-2012, 01:45 PM
You're dumb! Just cause a coach is great doesn't mean that he should be a great basketball player. Things don't always translate but it doesn't hurt is legacy.

But a coach could have been great at basketball right??

Again everyone is quoting me and missing the point.. We are talking about the GOAT.. the ****ing GOAT people.. we are talking about someone who supposedly understood the game better than anyone.. and if that was the case he would be able to evaluate talent better than his record perceives him

dh144498
07-12-2012, 01:46 PM
kobe wouldn't mouth off so much if he didn't have those 3 free Shaq titles,(bloating his titles) that Shaq could have won just as easily with Iverson or Ray Allen in Kobe's place. 2 titles as the man (and only thanks to Gasol for kwame trade rigged by jerry west to help his old team, crooked as hell), Duncan 4 titles as the man, MJ 6

yap yap all i see is :mad::mad::mad::cry::cry::cry:

Cimos21
Kobe's quote was definitely taken out of context. The reporters brought up the 92 DT and Kobe basically said he thinks they'd have a decent chance to beat them if it were possible to play. If you asked Kobe in 2005 if the Lakers were going to win the Championship with Chris Mihm and Chucky Atkins, he would have said, "we have a good chance to win". The Lakers finished 34-48 that year. It's just the way Kobe is... he is not going to concede anything if asked about winning. It's not like Kobe was walking around telling everyone, "Man we are the best Olympic Team of all time, we would spank the DT." Kobe did basically say that if the 92 DT was in their primes, the London team would lose ("If those guys were in their prime, it would be a different story". So the fact that Kobe got the ages wrong just means he was mistaken. He still thinks the 92 DT is better in their prime.

However, if Barkley and MJ didn't see the whole interview, they rightfully would fire back at seeing Kobe's comments in the press. The only thing I don't understand is why Kobe called out their ages if they were all in their 20s (except Magic and Bird). MJ and Barkleys comments were a little overboard because there's no way the 92 DT beats this team by 20+. It would be a close game either way. At least Jordan said one thing I totally agree with (and so does Kobe). "They learned from us, we didn't learn from them."

We will never know...cant even base margin of victory results to compare. The international teams right now are far better than they were in 1992.

Zefflin
awesome commentary

C-Style
07-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Douche move, our geneartion of players are not that bad.

Kobe4Life
07-12-2012, 01:51 PM

Mad bro? Lol Jordan Wannabe.. Why some people even post comments on these forums just straight up haters.

AddiX
07-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Jordan rArely speaks out about anything, as soon as someone challenges him though it's on.

bluefire7002
07-12-2012, 01:54 PM
People need to get over this and move the hell on... What was he supposed to to say?
"Yes... yes, Jordan and magic on that team would hand our ***** to us"... I would definitely take what he said over something opposite, especially when the Olympics are about to start and hes one of the team captains.

Who gives a crap anyways. is that 92 dream team going to come from the past and challenge this team? its not like we will ever know the answer to this.

beliges
07-12-2012, 01:54 PM
I could understand Kobe's sentiments and I can also understand Barkley's and MJ's response as well. However, looking at this objectively, I would say that if these two teams played a 7 game series, it would probably go up to the 7th game. This year's USA team is much more athletic, quick and explosive than the Dream team. The talent is there. Surely, the Dream Team had the better talent, but you match these teams up, they will go back and fourth.

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 01:57 PM
and Magic was only 32(2 years younger than kobe on 2012s team), & he was playing as great as he did in 1991. 92 allstar mvp also. Bird was 35 but had a grear final year that year even with back issues, he was Larry Legend after all, he was still ballin!

TheWhiteMamba
07-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Kobe and MJ are the 2 most competitive players in NBA history. ANyone really surprised with either of their comments? For the record, i think the Dream team beats team USA in 6 games if out of a 7 game series.

Green_Monster
MJ is right.

C-Style
Also 2012 perimeter players would beat the shyt out of theirs(if they were healthy)

Rose
Paul
Kobe
Wade
Lebron
Durant

valade16
07-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Look at the matchups though. Lebron (who I hate mind you) would run train on them. Jordan and Kobe would be a fun matchup with Jordan coming out on top. Malone and Robinson would be the only area that could hurt Chandler and Love etc

If by could hurt you mean completely decimate into a bloody pulp so utterly it would make both of them want to quit then yes, "could hurt" is the appropriate wording there.

Simply put the front court of the 2012 squad would get owned, dominated, and destroyed by Malone, Robinson, and Ewing.

Yes LeBron would do good, but Barkley is a pretty capable opposite.

Dream team would win. LeBron, as good as he is (and as good as he's thought to be on PSD) is still not capable of single-handedly beating the dream team, or any team with Jordan on it...

BigBongTheory
07-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Either way, USA is going to war in the Olympics. So everyone wants to complain about the 92 and 2012 olympic teams. Just shutup and watch as our nation competes.

Mr.B
07-12-2012, 02:04 PM

It still would not even be close. Clyde was better than Wade and the combo of Patrick Ewing and David Robinson were far better than the combo of Howard and Chandler. Pippen, Clyde, Jordon or Magic could all shut down Rose too.

beliges
07-12-2012, 02:06 PM
If by could hurt you mean completely decimate into a bloody pulp so utterly it would make both of them want to quit then yes, "could hurt" is the appropriate wording there.

Simply put the front court of the 2012 squad would get owned, dominated, and destroyed by Malone, Robinson, and Ewing.

Dream team would win. LeBron, as good as he is (and as good as he's thought to be on PSD) is still not capable of single-handedly beating the dream team, or any team with Jordan on it...

Thats clearly true, but a team being lead by Kobe and with as much talent as the 2012 USA team could beat any team out there, including the dream team. Nobody is saying that they will crush them or anything like that. But surely, you are mistaken if you dont think that out of a 7 game series, the 2012 team could beat the dream team at least 3 times.

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 02:07 PM
dream team would sweep 2012s team. 2008s team would stand a better chance, maybe sqeak one out by luck, but probably get swept as well. all in their prime besides Bird(who was still great) 11 hall of famers. David Robinson alone would abuse Chandler. Michael would embarrass anyone who guarded him

driz
07-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Kobe needs to slow his roll and thank his GM for the Canadian. Don't go dissing the gods like that.

beliges
07-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Kobe needs to slow his roll and thank his GM for the Canadian. Don't go dissing the gods like that.

He is one of the top gods. He can say what he wants.

torocan
07-12-2012, 02:09 PM
People need to get over this and move the hell on... What was he supposed to to say?
"Yes... yes, Jordan and magic on that team would hand our ***** to us"... I would definitely take what he said over something opposite, especially when the Olympics are about to start and hes one of the team captains.

Who gives a crap anyways. is that 92 dream team going to come from the past and challenge this team? its not like we will ever know the answer to this.

If he was really media savvy, what he should have said is something along these lines...

"I don't know if we'd beat them or they'd beat us. Sadly, we'll never know because it would be one heck of a game. They're the Dream Team, and they're called the best of all time for a reason. 11 Hall of Famers is no joke. I will say this much, our team is very good, and if we could play them today, win or lose, we'd give them a hell of a fight."

As for the games, Dream Team still wins. Too much size, too much strength, too much experience.

lakerboy
07-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Funny how Jordan is analyzing talent. He runs the Bobcats for Christ sake

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 02:12 PM
they could play Ewing at center, Robinson at PF, malone at SF, Michael sg, Magic pg. wat too much size for 2012s team, and fundementals. and drive you got Ewing and Robinson waiting to blk, or Michael & scottie lock up the perimeter of 2012. it's unfair to 2012, & shouldn't be discussed

Bucsfan40
07-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Really kobe? Tyson Chandler, Blake Griffen, Harden, Anthony Davis, and iggy...Those players on the same team prob wouldnt be any higher than the 6 seed in the NBA..Lmao

pacofunk64
07-12-2012, 02:16 PM
No...not even worth discussing. Just plain dumb!

Mr.B
07-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Maybe Kobe was talking about being able to beat the Original Dream team right now! Now that I could see happening.

NYKalltheway
07-12-2012, 02:19 PM
did Kobe seriously say something like this? :laugh:

Gibby23
07-12-2012, 02:20 PM
It still would not even be close. Clyde was better than Wade and the combo of Patrick Ewing and David Robinson were far better than the combo of Howard and Chandler. Pippen, Clyde, Jordon or Magic could all shut down Rose too.

Clyde was not better than Wade and Magic wouldn't shut down Rose, Lebron on the otherhand would shut down Magic.

Gibby23
07-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Didn't Jordan think Kwame Browm and Adam Morrison were the next big NBA stars?

ChicagoJ
07-12-2012, 02:21 PM
I think it would be competitive. Both teams have the NBA's best players. It's not like any team is going to get blown out. But, the 92 team is better. I also think LeBron would be much less effective with ewing and robinson in the paint on defense.

BigBongTheory
07-12-2012, 02:26 PM
did Kobe seriously say something like this? :laugh:

You been hiding under a rock?

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Clyde was not better than Wade and Magic wouldn't shut down Rose, Lebron on the otherhand would shut down Magic.clyde was pretty close to Wade's equal(but wade's not on 2012s team). and LeBron couldn't stop Magic from posting up, believe that. Magic back people down, & he was plenty big enough to do it. stockton could stick with any pg, his defense was always great. michael would take him if it came to that, but it wouldn't. and the bigs Robinson & Ewing would be camping out waiting to blk shots. ahhh it would be hysterical, haha

ThunderousDemon
07-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Who on the Dream team is stopping Lebron, Westbrook, and Durant?

effen5
07-12-2012, 02:32 PM

You can contain Bron, but he won't get many good looks driving to the basket with Patrick Ewing and David Robinsin on the paint as for Westbrook, Jordan would shut his *** down no problem, and Pippen would make Durant's job a lot harder.

rapjuicer06
07-12-2012, 02:34 PM
The 92 team played against world talent that was garbage compared to today. It's honestly hard to compare these teams because basketball has evolved so much since then.

You're right. Basketball has evolved into a woman's sport with all the flopping and soft *****es

Jordan vs Kobe would be a terrible match up. 29 year old Jordan against a 34 year old Kobe...yea not even close.

Lebron would be guarded by arguably the best wing defender ever in the NBA in Pippen.

The Dream Team has the enormous advantage in the post, and they have the advantage on the wing. It doesn't matter if the PG's have any kind of advantage for the Redeem Team, it doesn't make up for anything.

Also 2012 perimeter players would beat the shyt out of theirs(if they were healthy)

Rose
Paul
Kobe
Wade
Lebron
Durant

Completely false. Clyde/Jordan/Pippen alone would piss all over them guys. Who in that group will guard Jordan? Only guy in that group that can really shoot is Durant. Rose/Wade/Lebron/Paul all rely on getting touched on their way to the hoop, so they can throw up a ******** shot and go to the line. That wouldn't happen with Ewing and DRob in the paint. GTFO with that noise

Thats clearly true, but a team being lead by Kobe and with as much talent as the 2012 USA team could beat any team out there, including the dream team. Nobody is saying that they will crush them or anything like that. But surely, you are mistaken if you dont think that out of a 7 game series, the 2012 team could beat the dream team at least 3 times.

A team led by a 34 year old is just stupid. Kobe is a complete moron for saying the Dream Team was all old players. Kobe's older than all of them except for maybe Bird. Totally foolish statement on Kobe's part. And again, a 29 year old Michael Jordan would absolutely **** on a 34 year old Kobe. Wouldn't even be close. Lebron would be the entire team, and he would struggle against Pippen. Dream Team would blow them out

hidalgo
pippen on LeBron
Malone on Durant
Stockton on westbrook
Michael on Kobe

effen5

Rose
Paul
Kobe
Wade
Lebron
Durant

And Jordan > all of them and nobody would stop the centers of the 92 team. The 92 centers actually have an offense game besides dunking.

Mr.B
Clyde was not better than Wade and Magic wouldn't shut down Rose, Lebron on the otherhand would shut down Magic.

I completely disagree. Clyde was a lockdown defender and was bigger than Wade and probably more athletic. Wade on the other hand would get destroyed on the other end of the court by Clyde. You might be too young to remember him but check out this video of Clyde the Glyde.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=R7cQWV28N_E

Hotone1401
The Dream Team would lose. The players today would rebound and run them out of the building.

rapjuicer06
07-12-2012, 02:35 PM

Who on the Redeem team would stop Jordan/Malone/Ewing/Robinson/Stockton/Clyde/Barkley?

THE_FLASH_21
07-12-2012, 02:35 PM

Beat me to it.. exactly my point!!

ThunderousDemon
07-12-2012, 02:36 PM
pippen on LeBron
Malone on Durant
Stockton on westbrook
Michael on Kobe

Stockton would be able to guard WestBrook? Really?

THE_FLASH_21
07-12-2012, 02:37 PM
The Dream Team would lose. The players today would rebound and run them out of the building.

so says the Lakers fan.. Man crush on kobe?? It wouldnt even be close.. No one would stop MJ

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 02:39 PM

stockton was always an all defensive teams. he could play some serious D

Mr.B
07-12-2012, 02:39 PM

Yes, really. Stockton was not Steve Nash when it comes to defense (and was far better on offense too for that matter). Stockton was a BEAST on defense. Dude knew every defensive trick in the book and for his size was strong as an ox! He also had a way of getting in people's head and taking out of their game.

THE_FLASH_21
07-12-2012, 02:41 PM

Well Stockton played great defense for someone 6'1. Stockton would do a good job.. but its pretty much impossible to "D" him up. but i know 1 person that would stop RW. Himself.. Stockton's IQ would help him alot on guarding all these good PG's.

hidalgo
so says the Lakers fan.. Man crush on kobe?? Its wouldnt even be close.. No one would stop MJ

yep, Michael would blow by anyone on 2012s team, or shake them for the jumper he wanted. it would get ugly if they didn't double him alot

THE_FLASH_21
Yes, really. Stockton was not Steve Nash when it comes to defense (and was far better on offense too for that matter). Stockton was a BEAST on defense. Dude knew every defensive trick in the book and for his size was strong as an ox! He also had a way of getting in people's head and taking out of their game.

BINGO!!!!!!!!:clap:

Mr.B
07-12-2012, 02:42 PM
pippen on LeBron
Malone on Durant
Stockton on westbrook
Michael on Kobe

Mullins was also very good on defense. Durant, Labron, and Kobe would really be the only ones on the current team that would give the Dream Team fits.

Marco22
07-12-2012, 02:42 PM
No contest KOBE! 92 team will eat your paper tiger team alive!

Vee-Rex
07-12-2012, 02:44 PM

lol you mention in the VERY SAME paragraph that Bird was injured, then say IF Wade and Rose were healthy. Bird averaged 20 and 10 in 1992, IF he was healthy he would've been a huge factor. If it wasn't for his bad back: Bird > Wade. Bird > Rose.

Magic was still very effective at the time. Averaged 19 and 12 the year before. They didn't put up big numbers on the dream team because they didn't have to. Their intelligence would definitely make up for any lack of athleticism, and if you think that two of the greatest players of all time would be useless (when they were still effective at that point in their careers, it's just that their careers were SOOO amazing that they wasn't on the level people were used to seeing) then you're misinformed.

Vee-Rex
07-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Mullins was also very good on defense. Durant, Labron, and Kobe would really be the only ones on the current team that would give the Dream Team fits.

Drexler also wasn't a terrible defender. Also, Drexler > Melo. Melo averaged 22 points and 6 rebounds this year. Drexler averaged 25 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists in 1992. Not to mention he was a better defender than Melo.

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 02:48 PM
i'd be laughing just watching barkley alone absue 2012s team, let alone everyone else

ChicagoRox
07-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Dream Team would kill this year's team just due to shear physicality. 2012 has the speed and finesse but 1992 had people that would knock you down on your ***. Flagrant fouls nowadays would just be a hard foul in the 90s. Lebron is a big boy but if you had Malone, Ewing, and Barkley beating the crap out of you every time you drive he will eventually break down. The Dream was more skilled at shooting, better defense, and offensively all they would need to do is through the ball in the paint. Chandler/Love would have no chance against Centers that have a real post game Ewing/Robinson. 2012 would have a decent advantage at Pg because Stockon was hurt but I find that DWill/Paul/Westbrook would have a hard time driving with the size and physicality of Dreams teams bigs. But none the less I like them both. Go USA!

Gritz
07-12-2012, 02:51 PM
MJ's personnel moves are laughable

natelpete
07-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Of couse they are both going to think their team will win. Let's argue about some other **** no one can ever prove.

tredigs
07-12-2012, 02:53 PM
The most daunting matchup would be Malone or Barkley + Ewing or Robinson against our bigs. That is an absolute Roman-style bloodbath in the post. Throw in Dwight Howard, 2012 is still getting murdered; he'd be the worst center on the original Dream Team.

How to stop Westbrook? Michael Jordan.

Mid-game theoretical Lineup:
PG: Jordan
SG: Clyde
SF: Pippen
PF: Barkley
C: D. Robinson

Prime Jordan on Westbrook or CP3.
Prime Clyde (25/7/7 on efficiency) on Kobe.
Prime Pippen on Lebron.
Prime Barkley on K. Love
Young/monsterous D. Robinson on Tyson Chandler.

This... would be ugly. Dream Team 92 wins 8 or 9 out of 10.

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Magic could play pf or c on D if when he played then post up their little guys on offense & absue them. this game would be a riot, lol. Chandler couldn't even score on Magic, lol

noodle
07-12-2012, 02:56 PM

Wrong.

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 02:58 PM
drexler could check Kobe if westbrook went off, true. but i think stockton would do just fine. he was an animal on defense too

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 03:01 PM
2012s team couldn't even beat the 1996 team in my opinion. that's the 2nd best usa team

Vee-Rex
07-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Oh yeah let me mention... out of like 10 games, the 2012 can surely win a few. I say 2 or 3 out of 10 games. No one is saying the 2012 is garbage. But if somebody thinks they can beat the 1992 Dream Team then they simply misunderstand just how amazing it was.

They were much much much more physical. Take a look at Jordan's highlights. Back then he'd take so much contact on windmill layups and still finish with no foul calls. Kobe Bryant has more free throw attempts than Jordan despite both having nearly equal total minutes right now, despite hand-checking, despite Jordan Rules, despite the fact that Jordan naturally attacked the rim more.

nycsports2
07-12-2012, 03:03 PM
I think if Dwight, Wade and Rose were healthy the 2012 team would have a better chance, even though I still think it would be a good game

agreed

Gritz
07-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Wrong.

Right

terp10
07-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Lebron and CP3 agree with Kobe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvxAfnFP19g

str8balla4life
07-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Im gonna put my stephen a smith hat on now and say .no disrespect to the achievments of kobe labron d wade and the other very good players.however !!!!! That was a joke to say that this team would touch the dream then,!!!!! And now!!!!! Yes i said it mike, scottie ,charles ,patrick,chris,clyde,david,and about 6 more hall of famers would put a old school whuppin on them now. Yes the dream team from 92 would whup these young boys right now todaythe score would b 150 to 127. I stand behind that

Zefflin
07-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Of couse they are both going to think their team will win. Let's argue about some other **** no one can ever prove.

haha exactly, Dream team would win most of the time...probably...kobe got owned by mike's mouth

Pierzynski4Prez
07-12-2012, 03:06 PM
The most daunting matchup would be Malone or Barkley + Ewing or Robinson against our bigs. That is an absolute Roman-style bloodbath in the post. Throw in Dwight Howard, 2012 is still getting murdered; he'd be the worst center on the original Dream Team.

How to stop Westbrook? Michael Jordan.

Mid-game theoretical Lineup:
PG: Jordan
SG: Clyde
SF: Pippen
PF: Barkley
C: D. Robinson

Prime Jordan on Westbrook or CP3.
Prime Clyde (25/7/7 on efficiency) on Kobe.
Prime Pippen on Lebron.
Prime Barkley on K. Love
Young/monsterous D. Robinson on Tyson Chandler.

This... would be ugly. Dream Team 92 wins 8 or 9 out of 10.

Agreed on everything, especially about the bigs. Except I would still run out Stockton or Magic at PG and bring Clyde off the bench.

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 03:10 PM
2012s team couldn't even beat the 1996 team, no way. Shaq, Robinson, Olajuwon

not a chance they beat the 1992 dream team

1996 2nd best!

JasonJohnHorn
07-12-2012, 03:11 PM
There is a difference between saying "we could pull out a win" and "we're better". The bobcats could potentially pull a win out over Miami, but that doesn't mean Charlotte is better. Hell, the Raptors pulled out a win (I think it may have been two actually) over the 72-win Bulls.

I mean, the Dream Team lost to the select team in a scrimage, so they obviously weren't perfect, and while the Dream Team won by a larger margin than this year's team will win by, the talent pool in Europe was also inferior in 1992 compared to today.

Could this year's team pull out a win if they had a seven game series against the Dream Team? Yes. But the Dream Team is still far superior to this year's squad. The only position that this year's squad would win is the SF spot.

Now... had Bird and Magic been in their primes at that point in their careers, the Dream Team would sweep this year's squad in a sever game series and every game would be won by double digits.

NYflightboy
07-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Not even close. Dream Team would through those guys like they were Rihanna.

They only have one big man: Tyson Chandler. Pat and D Rob would eat him alive. And even if they had Dwight. Who thought him everything he knows? Pat freaking Ewing. He would get ate up too.

The Mailman & CB34 vs Blake & Kevin Love: Is there even a discussion to be had?

Larry, Mullins, Pippen vs Melo, Lebron & Iggy: Lebron is the best of the bunch. Pippen second best. Melo is better than Mullins, and at that point in his career, bad back and all, Larry Bird too. Iggy shouldn't be in the convo. Though I like his D a lot.

MJ & Clyde the Glide vs KB, KD, Harden: MJ takes the cake here. KB & KD Are better than Clyde. As a group 2012 takes it but MJ is superior and will not lose.

Magic & Stockton vs CP3, Deron & Westbrook: Man, I don't even know. 2012 has a lot of quickness at athleticism at the 1 that The Dream Team would have trouble with. But The experience, the IQ, & the intangibles of both Magic & Stockton could compensate for that.

In retrospect it's a lot closer than you think. But I'd still take the Dream Team. It's not as simple as 1 on 1 match ups. There's chemistry and intangibles that you can't really factor in. BUt man, would I pay everything I have to see that game.

Sixerlover
07-12-2012, 03:22 PM
By '92 Larry Legend and Magic were on the tail end of their respective careers. They wouldn't be able to defend LeBron or KD. At all. Jordan was just hitting the prime JORDAN era, so he would definitely dominate a 17 year vet Kobe.

Karl Malone was just hitting his stride as well, so if you wanted to go big and your rotation is LeBron - Kobe - KD - K-Love it wouldn't be fun for K-Love to defend Malone. But Love would stretch Malone out as well, and the rebounding battles would be fun. The Robinson - Chandler debate is unfair because Chandler should be the backup

LeBron and KD would definitely win their matchups based on age and talent level, but overall and especially in the post, the dream team wins.

49GiantWarriors
07-12-2012, 03:25 PM
And Kobe laughed at MJ's Bobcats

ChicagoRox
07-12-2012, 03:29 PM
And Kobe laughed at MJ's Bobcats

And Jordan laughs at Kobe's shoe sales and Bank Account

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Magic was still prime by his play & age, he was just forced to retire. he was every bit as good as he was in 91 when he faced Michael in the finals. Magic was only 32. Bird was the only slightly over the hill past his prime player(35), but he'd torch your *** if you told him that. that's Larry M effin BIrd! he was still better than Ray Allen now or peirce for example. they're both over 35 & still great like Bird was then

49GiantWarriors
07-12-2012, 03:35 PM

touche. I don't even like kobe or the lakers, i just wanted a cheap laugh haha

nickdymez
07-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Everything Kobe says is taken out of context. I guess Kobe was supposed to say they would lose. Bunch of dummies running around here

Losoway
07-12-2012, 03:42 PM
I dont think kobe would have did anything against the dream team but LEBRON - DURANT would simply go off

but then again jordan would have his way against kobe and the dream team was way bigger . who is tyson chandler gonna stop ?

so its close

nickdymez
07-12-2012, 03:45 PM
I dont think kobe would have did anything against the dream team but LEBRON - DURANT would simply go off

but then again jordan would have his way against kobe and the dream team was way bigger . who is tyson chandler gonna stop ?

so its close

This **** made me laugh....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAHVc9tKU5s

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Durant would lead them in scoring, he is just money with that jumper. LeBron would struggle against prime Scottie & a waiting prime Robinson & Ewing, or Michael strippin the ball out of nowhere.

BEASTMODE13
07-12-2012, 03:46 PM
rondo, rose, westbrook, paul, kobe, wade, lebron, durant, love, howard, bynum and chandler would do it!

Losoway
07-12-2012, 03:49 PM
kobe wouldnt do **** but shoot a bunch of fadaway three point shots 1 on 3

85BearsDefense
07-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Pippen just tweeted this

Scottie Pippen ‏@ScottiePippen

I respect Kobe and his confidence in this year's @usabasketball team. But the Dream Team was special. Unbeatable.

Scottie Pippen ‏@ScottiePippen

I'll say this--it's one man's opinion “@fabianb20: whats yours take on Kobe thinking this current USA team can Beat the Dream Team?"

Cfrey
07-12-2012, 03:51 PM
pippen never guarded lebron james

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 03:51 PM
i'm telling you, the 1996 team would spank 2012s team too. nobody else with me?

beliges
07-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Dude seriously. Does PSD have any objectively intelligent posts? The Dream Team was the greatest team ever assembled. But with that said, it would be extremely close if the 2012 team played the 1992 team. Just too much talent on either team for one group to dominate the others. The 92 team would have the 2012 team outmatched when it comes to bigs. But surely Kobe, Lebron Durant and the cast would be able to pull off a few victories. The questions isnt which team had the better talent. Clearly the 92 team would trump any team when it comes to that. But, on the floor, the games would be close and the victories would be shared by both teams.

85BearsDefense
07-12-2012, 03:56 PM
pippen never guarded lebron james

Lebrons never been guarded by someone like Pippen.

valade16
07-12-2012, 03:56 PM
To everyone saying the game has changed so much or the players of today are so much more athletic, please watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7cQWV28N_E

That is Drexler, in the 80's, being every bit as athletic as the players of today. Heck, the Houston Cougars nickname in college was Phi-Slamma-Jamma Because they dunked so much.

Can we put this stupid fallacy to rest. The top players of the 80's and 90's were absolutely comparable in athleticism as the players of today...

Miltstar
07-12-2012, 03:57 PM
IMO you could assemble a team of current players better than the Dream team, if a couple guys weren't hurt. You gotta remember, the talent of the competition back then is nothing compared to what it is now!

PG - Chris Paul
SG - Derrick Rose
SF - Kevin Durant
PF - Lebron James
C - Dwight Howard

Bench - Deron Williams, Dwyane Wade, Josh Smith, Kevin Love, Andrew Bynum, Blake Griffin, Russell Westbrook

Pealvin
07-12-2012, 03:58 PM

What does owning the bobcats have to do with smarts!?!? Lets hear your argument so we can see what type of smarts you have.

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 04:00 PM
even Dr J in the 70s pulled off some nasty dunks nobody can replicate today

Pealvin
07-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Honestly one of the more dumb comments. The 92 team obviously preceded this team. They can't help that.

I agree, I do not think it's that crazy of a statement. Jordan mentions all of those players, but Magic had been retired and Bird had just retired. I honestly despise Lebron, but the steps he took this post season make a huge difference. If Lebron played like he did two years ago in the playoffs, '92 would roll. If he played like he did this post season, with Paul/Deron, Kobe and Durant around him, it's a good ballgame.

I still think the biggest advantage is at the PG position for '12. Having Paul/Deron/Westbrook is unreal. I love, LOVE, Stockton, but he would not have stood a chance against those guards.

Drexler, Pippin and Mullin would have slapped paul and Deron!! Dont forget Malone, Ewing and Barkley and David Robinson down low..haahaaha. 92 smacks those guys.

Cfrey
07-12-2012, 04:01 PM
What does owning the bobcats have to do with smarts!?!? Lets hear your argument so we can see what type of smarts you have.

i already explained in previous posts

carruthers32
07-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Everything Kobe says is taken out of context. I guess Kobe was supposed to say they would lose. Bunch of dummies running around here

Or maybe not even make the comparison at all. He didn't have to say if they would win or lose, he could have said it would be a good game and leave it at that.

carruthers32
07-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Lebrons never been guarded by someone like Pippen.

niiiice! was going to type this until you said it lol

nickdymez
07-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Or maybe not even make the comparison at all. He didn't have to say if they would win or lose, he could have said it would be a good game and leave it at that.

Yea, hows about no. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having confidence in your team.. Whats wrong with you?

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 04:06 PM
niiiice! was going to type this until you said it lol
Pippen, best defensive SF ever. LeBron would not be a happy campy

carruthers32
07-12-2012, 04:06 PM

What kind of question is that, who on this team can stop MJ, Magic or any of the other 9 HOFers.

CityofTreez
07-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Such a joke.

The 92 team would run circles around this 2012 team. It was all about TEAM basketball with the original team, not holding the ball looking for an open shot (like todays team). Plus, this 2012 team is mentally weaker, Barkley would've demolish these big men, especially Tyson Chandler's fragile ***!

nickdymez
What kind of question is that, who on this team can stop MJ, Magic or any of the other 9 HOFers.

I agree with this

carruthers32
Yea, hows about no. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having confidence in your team.. Whats wrong with you?

There's nothing wrong with having confidence in your team. He didn't have to put down the greatest team ever assembled though.

nickdymez
07-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Saying they would beat them is not a put down. They are playing a sport which involves competition. Im never gonna say anyone can beat me at something that I know i do well.

carruthers32
07-12-2012, 04:11 PM

Check who is 1st ALL TIME in steals

RaiderLakersA's
07-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Of course. Only Kobe and the current Olympic squad feel that they can compete with anyone. They have to. Even the original Dream Team.

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 04:23 PM
i bet anything if time travel was possible 2012s team wouldn't say shhht, they'd back down & spare themselves the humiliation. they can hide behind the fact that 92 is long gone so they're safe from finding out. the public knows, the world knows

Bruno
07-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Honestly, I don't really know if Kobe believes that; what else what he going to say? If he had a healthy Rose, Paul, Howard, Bosh and Wade, he'd have a fine and fair argument- but he doesn't.

Although as to Jordans point that they were beating the competition by 40+ points per game- it's true- but the global competition was a lot lower then, than it is today (large in part because of the dream team). so in that respect, comparing their PPG margin of victories, wouldn't be the fairest measuring stick.

eugene
07-12-2012, 04:42 PM
can someone please explain to me why no one is mentioning the fact that kobe was asked if they could beat the dream team? It's not like he was thinking about them, or checking about them. They asked him. What is he supposed to say, we'll get beat by 40? We'll run away? He didn't say they were better, he just said we could win. And i think it's ridiculous to think that they wouldn't have a chance.

Here's the video where kobe was asked. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/07/kobe-picks-this-olympic-team-over-dream-team/1

this!

effen5
07-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Check who is 1st ALL TIME in steals

:burn:

pd1dish
07-12-2012, 05:18 PM
theres no way in hell this team is better than the Dream Team. this team isnt even better than the last Olympic team we had. with all the injuries that have taken place, we arent as deep as normal (although depth probably wont be an issue). we are missing Rose, Wade, Dwight, Rondo and we have no center or PF that even compares to anyone on the Dream Team. on top of that, guys like Griffin, Igoudala, Westbrook, Harden, and Anthony Davis (since hes a rookie) would have had no shot at making the Dream Team squad. lets face it, we have some players that arent Olympic material.

however, even after saying all that, having Lebron, Durant, CP3/DW, Kobe, and Melo gives us absolutely dominant starting players so i obviously love our chances to breeze through the Olympics, but to compare to the Dream Team is simply a joke.

Cimos21
07-12-2012, 05:26 PM

And Magic Johnson laughs at them both.

koberulesall
07-12-2012, 05:27 PM
oh! my! god! he laughed at him! wow! i dont know what kobes gonna do with himself!

valade16
07-12-2012, 05:38 PM
oh! my! god! he laughed at him! wow! i dont know what kobes gonna do with himself!

Try and copy MJ's laughing style? :shrug:

Cimos21
07-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Try and copy MJ's laughing style? :shrug:

That was a bad joke. Not because I am a Kobe homer, it was just not that funny.

dodie53
07-12-2012, 05:42 PM
92 still wins.

ry31walsh
07-12-2012, 05:46 PM

I'm not saying he would shut them down, but I think people forget Stockton was 5 time all defensive guy. He could play D

Azzacadabra
07-12-2012, 05:46 PM
I think it'd be closer than people think because of SOME of the older fellas on the dream team. I still think the Dream team would win. If this is prime vs prime then the Dream team would make the 2012 team their *****.

Cimos21
07-12-2012, 05:56 PM
ESPN already ran simulations where the average score was 78-77 and the DT (dont have to say 1992 because there is only 1 dream team) won like 58% of the time. Computers are never wrong :-). Case closed.

Bigdaddyburch
07-12-2012, 06:08 PM
That was a bad joke. Not because I am a Kobe homer, it was just not that funny.

I actually thought it was spot on and I did honestly laugh at it. Sorry but not only was your come back weak and very homerish but on a scale from 1 to 10 10 being tops I would give you a 2.3.

What I see here are a bunch of kids only knowing the game they see today. The stars of today and only having seen clips of the Dream team. This is not football. The physicality of the game today has not evolved that much if at all. In fact it is true it is a much softer game today. Not putting these young guys down at all but (and yes I have been watching since the 70s) they only play for money now and they have no idea about team play. I just dont see how anyone who never sat year in and year out through the 90s and the game today seeing these guys year in and out can honestly give a honest assessment of who would win.

Oh and Yes Jordan has a huge ego he should he is only the Greatest B Ball Player to ever play. All Kobe has ever done is shine a light on himself and try to be Jordan something outside a few moves here and there could ever dream of being. IMO Kobe is not even a top 10 player all time. He should try to stay humble and laughed when asked and said that's not for me to say that's for you to argue about.

Bigdaddyburch
07-12-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm not saying he would shut them down, but I think people forget Stockton was 5 time all defensive guy. He could play D

Oh I agree. I think most are forgetting just how great the dream team players as a whole were on D.

ztilzer31
07-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Okay so.... This isn't going to be a very popular comment but whatever.

I think the 2012 team is just as good as 92. The point differences will never match, but that's not because the 92 dream team was better, but because other countries basketball teams were worse. People like to idolize, and pretend like the athletically superior current players aren't as good, but they're better. It's not fair to compare teams from completely separate era's, but Kobe is taking WAY too much heat for this, and I'm a Kobe hater.

ChicagoRox
07-12-2012, 06:16 PM

Touche part II! Magic did cure himself of HIV.

Cimos21
07-12-2012, 06:23 PM
I actually thought it was spot on and I did honestly laugh at it. Sorry but not only was your come back weak and very homerish but on a scale from 1 to 10 10 being tops I would give you a 2.3.

What I see here are a bunch of kids only knowing the game they see today. The stars of today and only having seen clips of the Dream team. This is not football. The physicality of the game today has not evolved that much if at all. In fact it is true it is a much softer game today. Not putting these young guys down at all but (and yes I have been watching since the 70s) they only play for money now and they have no idea about team play. I just dont see how anyone who never sat year in and year out through the 90s and the game today seeing these guys year in and out can honestly give a honest assessment of who would win.

Oh and Yes Jordan has a huge ego he should he is only the Greatest B Ball Player to ever play. All Kobe has ever done is shine a light on himself and try to be Jordan something outside a few moves here and there could ever dream of being. IMO Kobe is not even a top 10 player all time. He should try to stay humble and laughed when asked and said that's not for me to say that's for you to argue about.

It was not a comeback and not supposed to be funny. I simply made a statement that the joke was not funny. I still think Jordan is better than Kobe, but saying Kobe is not a top10 player of all time I think is ridiculous. I am not even going to elaborate on why that is a ridiculous claim.

What is wrong with copying Jordan? I think every kid in America that balls and doesnt play Center is trying to copy Jordan. Every SG/Scorer in the NBA should be trying to copy Jordan. What's the knock for trying to copy Jordan? You obviously forgot about "I wanna be like Mike". Kobe has even said that he does not like to be compared to Jordan because he mimiced and learend from him. How can you compare someone that learned what he knew from that person. People always try to evaluate if someone makes their teammates better. Jordan made everyone in the league better, including all those who came after him. So really no comparison can be made with Kobe or Lebron or whoever is the next big thing in 20 years. Jordan was first, he led the way.

Can you compare your favorite president to George Washington?

pd1dish
07-12-2012, 06:43 PM

Why?

Michael Jordan was the better player and just as good as a businessman (probably better based off of the Jordan brand alone). i assume you're talking about their bank accounts, but both are worth $500 mil. Kobe is worth $200 mil before his career is even over

Cimos21
07-12-2012, 06:46 PM
I read that Magic is worth $900 mil and Jordan $500 mil. Kobe could definitely pass them if he is a good businessman, but that will remain to be seen post career (no prenup is a bad business decision he already made).

All I know is that I'd rather own the Dodgers than the Bobcats...haha.

Mr.B
07-12-2012, 07:01 PM
To everyone saying the game has changed so much or the players of today are so much more athletic, please watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7cQWV28N_E

That is Drexler, in the 80's, being every bit as athletic as the players of today. Heck, the Houston Cougars nickname in college was Phi-Slamma-Jamma Because they dunked so much.

Can we put this stupid fallacy to rest. The top players of the 80's and 90's were absolutely comparable in athleticism as the players of today...

Exactly! Drexler was also the same age as Wade is today so it's crazy when I hear people talk about how old the '92 team was.

And for those of you too young to know or just simply don't remember here are some Karl Malone highlights. Like the video says, he put the Power in Power Forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_VzlQLbXz7I

Bigdaddyburch
07-12-2012, 07:21 PM
I still think Jordan is better than Kobe, but saying Kobe is not a top10 player of all time I think is ridiculous.

Can you compare your favorite president to George Washington?

In no real order and in my honest opinion,
Jordan, Magic, Kareem, Wilt, Russel, Dr. J, West. O. Robertson, Cousy, Shaq

Yes. Washington was pro slavery so he had faults. Jordan had none.

Cimos21
07-12-2012, 07:40 PM

No faults? He did have one...Jordan thought he was Bo Jackson. That's his fault, he could have won 8 championships...in a row.

And last time I checked, only 1 of those players has scored more than 81 pts in a game, and only 2 have more rings?

--23--
07-12-2012, 08:05 PM
:worthy: The GOAT has spoken

Bigdaddyburch
07-12-2012, 08:14 PM
No faults? He did have one...Jordan thought he was Bo Jackson. That's his fault, he could have won 8 championships...in a row.

And last time I checked, only 1 of those players has scored more than 81 pts in a game, and only 2 have more rings?

Oh come on. Kobe happened to be on a team that won three. Shaq did not need Kobe. You have to understand that. While yes Kobe made some plays he is not the reason they won three of the rings he has. Hell Kobe IMO is only the fifth best Laker ever. 81 points in a game makes him second best all time?

smiddy012
07-12-2012, 08:17 PM
I wanted to sum up all the stupidity in this thread with one post.

Today's Wade or Kobe vs. Prime MJ would be hysterical. Howard's never seen centers like the Dream team had. And Rose would be lucky if he could handle Stockton on either side of the court.

What good is running circles when you're a ****** shooting team relatively speaking? Today's team would essentially have no choice but to drive into the likes of DRob or Ewing. In fact the 92 team could put DRob at PF, that team was just so much more dynamic and well-rounded than today's team. All of them could shoot, all of them could play defense with the best.

Good for you. Do yourself a favor and look around the leagues of all pro-sports... are GMs usually former players? It's a rarity. You act like playing the game is a perquisite to being able to grade talent, if that were the case there would many more former player GMs than there are. It's not rocket science, don't be so self-centered, look at who GMs are and where they come from, very few are former players (and there is a reason for this - because there is little to no correlation between talent as a player and talent as a GM).

92s bigs would humiliate Love and Chandler. MJ would humiliate today's Kobe. Stockton was better at every facet of the game than CP3. Lebron would have to deal with Pippen, who's defense was as good as Lebrons if not better.

Rose
Paul
Kobe
Wade
Lebron
Durant

Rose would have a shot against Stockton, Paul wouldn't. Paul wouldn't be athletic enough to overwhelm John on offense (by driving) like Rose, Paul wouldn't be athletic enough to play any quality defense against John. Both John and Magic were more skilled than Paul or any PG Paul has ever seen.... by a mile. And Stockton was a much, much better defender than CP3 ever was.

MJ was a much better defender than Kobe ever was, not to mention a better playmaker/passer, MJ was also more athletic than a prime Kobe. And since the present Kobe isn't even in his prime, a prime MJ would mop the floor with Kobe, a prime MJ would DOMINATE today's Kobe, it wouldn't even be competitive like a prime Kobe vs. a prime MJ MIGHT be.

This.

A PRIME JORDAN WOULD DESTROY TODAY'S KOBE! What's so hard to understand about this?

Funny how Jordan is analyzing talent. He runs the Bobcats for Christ sake

That's the only critique you can muster, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand. "MJ shouldn't talk about how great his Bulls teams or Dream teams were, because he's a ****** GM." You're a dope.

Magic was a PG you 12 year old neanderthal. The dream team had this dude named John Stockton also... maybe you heard of him? 2nd best PG ever?

Didn't Jordan think Kwame Browm and Adam Morrison were the next big NBA stars?

Yup, he's a 12 year old.

Westbrook and Durant would be on the bench most of the time you impractical homer. The bench would stop Durant and Westbrook.

:facepalm:

I genuinely feel so sorry for you if you are stupid and naive enough to believe such a thing.

Lebron would be limited by the Dream's big men, and lets remember Lebron isn't a great shooter. Durant would be on the bench most of the time, and let's not forget he's one of our only true shooters, the Dream's defense would hone in on him and force everyone else to drive. Meanwhile pretty much everyone on the Dream Team, including the centers, are very good to great shooters, and all great defenders. They also had this defender named Pippen, who would give Lebron and Durant hell.

IMO you could assemble a team of current players better than the Dream team, if a couple guys weren't hurt. You gotta remember, the talent of the competition back then is nothing compared to what it is now!

PG - Chris Paul
SG - Derrick Rose
SF - Kevin Durant
PF - Lebron James
C - Dwight Howard

Bench - Deron Williams, Dwyane Wade, Josh Smith, Kevin Love, Andrew Bynum, Blake Griffin, Russell Westbrook

CP3 would be owned by Stockton, Stockton was better in every single aspect of the game. CP3 would not have an advantage athletically, and wasn't half the defender Stockton was.

DRose at SG? Vs a prime MJ?!?!?! I'm not even going to get started on that one, pure retardation there. There would simply be no answer to MJ. Even if you put Lebron on him he'd create for others, if not dominate Lebron.

Pippen would bully the **** out of Durant, would be in his face 24/7. Pippen would also own Durant on the offensive side. Another bad matchup. Only player on today's team who would stand a chance against Pippen on offense would be Lebron.

Lebron at PF??? He's not a good post-player. He has to have the ball in his hands and he has to be driving. Malone and Barkley would make Lebron earn everything he got, Lebron would be passing out of the post more than not. Lebron would clog the paint for DH, today's team wouldn't have enough good shooters not to. On the other side of the court Barkley and especially Malone knew how to work the post. They were more complete PFs than Lebron simply because posting-up is such a big part of playing PF.

DH has never seen a Ewing or a DRob, DH has never seen a center his size with comparable athleticism and skill. Both those guys were better shooters and also defensive MVP caliber players. The Dream Team's bigs wouldn't dominate Lebron and DH, but they could out-shoot and out-post them.

Yes, it's MJs fault that he retired after his dad was murdered at a gas station. What a *****.

I'm not going to throw Kobe under the bus though, but he should have been political about it and not even answered the question. He's not a complete douche or anything for being cocky about it. He's trying to assert his leadership of this team, due to his ego and opinion of Lebron, if you ask me. No way in hell will he follow Lebron, and I don't blame him for that, although it may be best for the team.

jaizari06
07-12-2012, 08:50 PM
^^^^^^Preach smiddy!!!!

jaizari06
07-12-2012, 09:03 PM
All that high flying, lane driving, easy dunk and lay up bull **** we see today would not be accepted by DT...You honestly think DROB Ewing Malone and Bark are letting these boys drive at will? Westbrook harden durant all jumpers... They aint getting in the paint you can forget it.. Mj is lockin kobe up pppen is makin life hell for lebron and durant..stockton was a sneaky sob and wud drive cp3 nuts. Hes already a bi### as is imagine stockon under his skin. What you forget is these DT players played in an era where you actually had defense being played. Real d, not this bs we see today. MJ would dominate with no hand check are u freakin kiddin me? You young guys are disrespectful. I accept Kobe to say whatever , he's on the team what do u expect? But anyone else in their right minds knows its not even close. When Andre Iguadola is on the squad the debate was over.

BigCityofDreams
07-12-2012, 09:14 PM

No disrespect but you can't be serious. Even if Kobe isn't in your top how don't you have guys like Duncan, Hakeem, Moses, or Bird over players like Dr. J and Cousy.

Oh come on. Kobe happened to be on a team that won three. Shaq did not need Kobe. You have to understand that. While yes Kobe made some plays he is not the reason they won three of the rings he has. Hell Kobe IMO is only the fifth best Laker ever. 81 points in a game makes him second best all time?

Kobe and Shaq needed each other. I'm tired of the Shaq didn't Kobe argument. And how did Kobe happen to be on the team that won 3 rings? Contrary to popular he wasn't a passenger on the Lakers dynasty. He played a very big role on those teams during that time. Let's not it seem like he was some role player coming off the bench providing a spark.

At best Kobe was 1A...at worst he was number 2 in the Shaq era.

NYKalltheway
07-12-2012, 09:31 PM

lol European basketball had much more stars in 1992 than today.

Cubby
07-12-2012, 09:43 PM
It'd honestly be VERY hard for LeBron to get his with Pippen on him all game. With LeBron out, this year's team isn't doing much especially with Mike playing against them.

YashBoone
07-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Lmao, this argument is funny......If you werent alive, or at least old enough to have watched the 92 games, then you really have no right at all to even enter this discussion and think people can take your opinion seriously.....I have watched both, and not even trying to be nostalgic, the 92 team would mop the floor with whatever team you put against them.....

Michael put it best...."they learned from us. we didnt learn from them.

Max Power
07-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Tyson Chandler is on the team this year.

End of argument.

YashBoone
07-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Lmao, they said larry birds reaction was
"they probably could beat us. i havent picked up a basketball in 20 years!"

effen5
07-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Lmao, they said larry birds reaction was
"they probably could beat us. i havent picked up a basketball in 20 years!"

:laugh:

You know what would be funny? If this team didn't win the gold....

MadBomber
07-12-2012, 11:55 PM
I wanted to sum up all the stupidity in this thread with one post.

Today's Wade or Kobe vs. Prime MJ would be hysterical. Howard's never seen centers like the Dream team had. And Rose would be lucky if he could handle Stockton on either side of the court.

What good is running circles when you're a ****** shooting team relatively speaking? Today's team would essentially have no choice but to drive into the likes of DRob or Ewing. In fact the 92 team could put DRob at PF, that team was just so much more dynamic and well-rounded than today's team. All of them could shoot, all of them could play defense with the best.

Good for you. Do yourself a favor and look around the leagues of all pro-sports... are GMs usually former players? It's a rarity. You act like playing the game is a perquisite to being able to grade talent, if that were the case there would many more former player GMs than there are. It's not rocket science, don't be so self-centered, look at who GMs are and where they come from, very few are former players (and there is a reason for this - because there is little to no correlation between talent as a player and talent as a GM).

92s bigs would humiliate Love and Chandler. MJ would humiliate today's Kobe. Stockton was better at every facet of the game than CP3. Lebron would have to deal with Pippen, who's defense was as good as Lebrons if not better.

Rose would have a shot against Stockton, Paul wouldn't. Paul wouldn't be athletic enough to overwhelm John on offense (by driving) like Rose, Paul wouldn't be athletic enough to play any quality defense against John. Both John and Magic were more skilled than Paul or any PG Paul has ever seen.... by a mile. And Stockton was a much, much better defender than CP3 ever was.

MJ was a much better defender than Kobe ever was, not to mention a better playmaker/passer, MJ was also more athletic than a prime Kobe. And since the present Kobe isn't even in his prime, a prime MJ would mop the floor with Kobe, a prime MJ would DOMINATE today's Kobe, it wouldn't even be competitive like a prime Kobe vs. a prime MJ MIGHT be.

This.

A PRIME JORDAN WOULD DESTROY TODAY'S KOBE! What's so hard to understand about this?

That's the only critique you can muster, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand. "MJ shouldn't talk about how great his Bulls teams or Dream teams were, because he's a ****** GM." You're a dope.

Magic was a PG you 12 year old neanderthal. The dream team had this dude named John Stockton also... maybe you heard of him? 2nd best PG ever?

Yup, he's a 12 year old.

Westbrook and Durant would be on the bench most of the time you impractical homer. The bench would stop Durant and Westbrook.

:facepalm:

I genuinely feel so sorry for you if you are stupid and naive enough to believe such a thing.

Lebron would be limited by the Dream's big men, and lets remember Lebron isn't a great shooter. Durant would be on the bench most of the time, and let's not forget he's one of our only true shooters, the Dream's defense would hone in on him and force everyone else to drive. Meanwhile pretty much everyone on the Dream Team, including the centers, are very good to great shooters, and all great defenders. They also had this defender named Pippen, who would give Lebron and Durant hell.

CP3 would be owned by Stockton, Stockton was better in every single aspect of the game. CP3 would not have an advantage athletically, and wasn't half the defender Stockton was.

DRose at SG? Vs a prime MJ?!?!?! I'm not even going to get started on that one, pure retardation there. There would simply be no answer to MJ. Even if you put Lebron on him he'd create for others, if not dominate Lebron.

Pippen would bully the **** out of Durant, would be in his face 24/7. Pippen would also own Durant on the offensive side. Another bad matchup. Only player on today's team who would stand a chance against Pippen on offense would be Lebron.

Lebron at PF??? He's not a good post-player. He has to have the ball in his hands and he has to be driving. Malone and Barkley would make Lebron earn everything he got, Lebron would be passing out of the post more than not. Lebron would clog the paint for DH, today's team wouldn't have enough good shooters not to. On the other side of the court Barkley and especially Malone knew how to work the post. They were more complete PFs than Lebron simply because posting-up is such a big part of playing PF.

DH has never seen a Ewing or a DRob, DH has never seen a center his size with comparable athleticism and skill. Both those guys were better shooters and also defensive MVP caliber players. The Dream Team's bigs wouldn't dominate Lebron and DH, but they could out-shoot and out-post them.

Yes, it's MJs fault that he retired after his dad was murdered at a gas station. What a *****.

I'm not going to throw Kobe under the bus though, but he should have been political about it and not even answered the question. He's not a complete douche or anything for being cocky about it. He's trying to assert his leadership of this team, due to his ego and opinion of Lebron, if you ask me. No way in hell will he follow Lebron, and I don't blame him for that, although it may be best for the team.

Someone that speaks with reason!

Aust
07-13-2012, 12:06 AM
If Dwight, DWade and Rose were playing, this team would have 11 or 12 HOF calibur players on it...

KniCks4LiFe
07-13-2012, 12:11 AM
MJ was the most competitive ******* ever to live in sports since Ali.

Remember now, they learned from us. We didn't learn from them.

That right there is like a father saying "I brought you into this world I can take you out" :laugh2:

Ryno
07-13-2012, 12:19 AM
HMM this years team or the original dream team? Well this would be a tough call this years team the guys are 20 to 30 years younger and have more athletic ability now than the original dream team. How old are those guys now in their 50's? I think Larry Bird alone is pushing close to 60 this is definitely a tough call. I will say the original dream team if it was assembled today would still beat this new team despite their age 120-115 the fundamentals of the old guys were and still probably are better the these kids today.

T.I.-KingofRap
07-13-2012, 12:24 AM
MJ is right.

I have 4 words regarding the Dream Team. David Robinson and Patrick Ewing
I have 2 words regarding 2012 team. Tyson Chandler?

yonkerschampX4
07-13-2012, 12:27 AM
If and only if Kobe d's up MJ like lock down D which he never did. And sir Charles what does the 2012 team do about the round mound ?

Teeboy1487
07-13-2012, 12:28 AM
I'm a Kobe fan, but what he said was blasphemy. I rarely see Kobe say something he can not back up. This is one of these rare moments.

ThunderousDemon
07-13-2012, 12:46 AM
i'm a kobe fan, but what he said was blasphemy. I rarely see kobe say something he can not back up. This is one of these rare moments.

Blasphemous!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd9OW4sAlIE

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-13-2012, 12:58 AM
Kobe's response to MJ laughing at him:

"So what? He knows I'm a bad mother[expletive]," Bryant said. "I'm not really tripping."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19574539/kobe-bryant-on-michael-jordans-trash-talk-he-knows-im-a-bad-motherexpletive

MadBomber
07-13-2012, 01:07 AM
blasphemous!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd9ow4salie

+1

J4KOP99
07-13-2012, 01:08 AM
This is such a stupid "controversy"

That team would eat this team alive down low.

You have Jordan, Pippen, Barkley to guard LeBron/Durant

Chandler would get beaten badly. Stockton is just as good (most likely better) than Paul and Deron. Magic's size would still let him be competitive. Bird would suck. Jordan. Barkley is a horrible match up for any of those guys. Maybe Lebron on him? But he'd have to use up a lot of energy.

This current team doesn't have the size to do it. Maybe if they had Dwight, Bosh, Bynum.

Oh yeah, and Malone was an absolute machine. Who guards him? LeBron again?

Mr.B
07-13-2012, 01:47 AM
All that high flying, lane driving, easy dunk and lay up bull **** we see today would not be accepted by DT...You honestly think DROB Ewing Malone and Bark are letting these boys drive at will? Westbrook harden durant all jumpers... They aint getting in the paint you can forget it.. Mj is lockin kobe up pppen is makin life hell for lebron and durant..stockton was a sneaky sob and wud drive cp3 nuts. Hes already a bi### as is imagine stockon under his skin. What you forget is these DT players played in an era where you actually had defense being played. Real d, not this bs we see today. MJ would dominate with no hand check are u freakin kiddin me? You young guys are disrespectful. I accept Kobe to say whatever , he's on the team what do u expect? But anyone else in their right minds knows its not even close. When Andre Iguadola is on the squad the debate was over.

No joke! It damn near wasn't fair with the rules they had back then! Seriously can you imagine how much more dominant MJ would be with no hand check foul?

Aust
07-13-2012, 03:38 AM
It's probably good for MJ to be laughing at this. He doesn't have much to laugh at nowadays...

heimdog8
07-16-2012, 02:50 AM
I think most of you arguing in defense of the 92 dream team must be older and remember the affects the dream team had on the game of basketball. They changed the game globally forever. No team in history will have the emotional and lasting impact that the dream team had on basketball. I think its really hard for people to admit that the dream team would lose because the dream team stood for more than just basketball. it had a place in basketball fans hearts forerver. However, if looked at logically and objectively. The 2012 team is far superior. However, we must remember a team can only be so good at basketball. Basketball is not like football where one team could simply dominate the other team. hence, thats why they play 7 game series cuz one game, one team could shoot lights out from 3 and the other could go cold. I think the 2012 team would easily win a 7 game series given they had dwight howard, DWade and DRose. if you guys think im crazy? go back and watch some of the old games in 92 vs spain and others. game speed and overall skill is drastically different than todays game. magic and stockton would have no chance defending and playing against DRose and Dwill and CP3 and Westbrook. Bird couldnt guard Durant Whatsover. Howard would negate and cancel out the bigs for the dream team. Kevin Love would be a match up nightmare. And who the hell could guard Lebron? Hes a freak of nature. I think Jordan and pippen are the only ones from that team that could compete and hold their ground. I dont even think barkely would of made this years team. 6'5 PF. no way
Edit/Delete Message

Aust
07-16-2012, 03:17 AM
Don't necro threads

3ballbomber
07-16-2012, 03:45 AM
It's probably good for MJ to be laughing at this. He doesn't have much to laugh at nowadays...
Besides the fact his still the GOAT or that his JB shoe brand have been selling like hot cakes for the past several years. w/ retro's coming out every month selling for ridonkulous amounts earning him Millions. And not to mention JB apparel and player signature shoes. And to top it all off his banging that hot younger broad w/ what i'm pretty sure is with his gold plated, multi-million, multi-championship shlong

DitchDat
07-16-2012, 03:51 AM
Kobe is Kobe. He's a competitor. IMO he can say whatever he wants. This just proves that him and MJ are very alike.

3ballbomber
07-16-2012, 04:23 AM
I think most of you arguing in defense of the 92 dream team must be older and remember the affects the dream team had on the game of basketball. They changed the game globally forever. No team in history will have the emotional and lasting impact that the dream team had on basketball. I think its really hard for people to admit that the dream team would lose because the dream team stood for more than just basketball. it had a place in basketball fans hearts forerver. However, if looked at logically and objectively. The 2012 team is far superior. However, we must remember a team can only be so good at basketball. Basketball is not like football where one team could simply dominate the other team. hence, thats why they play 7 game series cuz one game, one team could shoot lights out from 3 and the other could go cold. I think the 2012 team would easily win a 7 game series given they had dwight howard, DWade and DRose. if you guys think im crazy? go back and watch some of the old games in 92 vs spain and others. game speed and overall skill is drastically different than todays game. magic and stockton would have no chance defending and playing against DRose and Dwill and CP3 and Westbrook. Bird couldnt guard Durant Whatsover. Howard would negate and cancel out the bigs for the dream team. Kevin Love would be a match up nightmare. And who the hell could guard Lebron? Hes a freak of nature. I think Jordan and pippen are the only ones from that team that could compete and hold their ground. I dont even think barkely would of made this years team. 6'5 PF. no way
Edit/Delete Message
Errrrrrr NO. None of of what you stated could be even remotely close to being true. Invalid statements.and you talking trash about Charles Barkley?? Yeah man, that chump was only the leading scorer in the that team FAIL

MadBomber
07-16-2012, 05:13 AM
errrrrrr no. None of of what you stated could be even remotely close to being true. Invalid statements.and you talking trash about charles barkley?? yeah man, that chump was only the leading scorer in the that team fail

+1

JoyRide
07-16-2012, 05:36 AM
2012 team will win, they'll keep flopping and get the call all night, 1992 team don't know how to flop

rockbottom2010
07-16-2012, 06:14 AM

griffin and bosh...don't forget

rockbottom2010
07-16-2012, 06:15 AM
Kobe is Kobe. He's a competitor. IMO he can say whatever he wants. This just proves that him and MJ are very alike.

are you kidding me...not even close....theres too much of a gap

smiddy012
07-16-2012, 06:21 AM
griffin and bosh...don't forget

Yeah they would flop today's dream team into victory :facepalm:

Only way today's DT has a chance of winning 1 game or a series is if they get today's ***** rules/reffing while 92 deals with their hardnosed rules/reffing. Oh wait theres no way in hell Olympic refs today can be that ******, so yeah today's DT's chances are slim to none.

hidalgo
07-16-2012, 09:04 AM
1992 would crush 2012. it would be a blowout

Joker55
07-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Edit/Delete Message

I disagree with everything you just said completely.

As for the bold..the 2012 team does NOT have them, so why play the "what if?" game?

LongIslandIcedZ
07-16-2012, 10:41 AM
A big part of it is how aggressive will the refs be callling the game.

FLWolvesFan
07-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Well, I know Tyson Chandler's relieved he doesn't have to guard D. Robinson or Ewing. He wouldn't have a chance in h*ll.

effen5
07-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Edit/Delete Message

This is one of the dumbest posts I have ever read.

First D12, D1, and Dwade are not on this team. Even if they were, D12's offense is extremely lacking compared to the Admiral and Patrick Ewing. Patrick Ewing and the Admiral are light years ahead of Dwights game in every way.

Second, D1, Dwill, CP3, and Westbrook? D1 is out but he and Westbrook would be difficult to guard because they drive at will to the rim but guess who they meet at the rim? 2 hof centers. And Dwill and CP3 are not better than Magic not to mention CP3 and Dwill have no chance in guarding Magic. I think people forget that Magic is 6'9. And Stockton is better defender and passer and shooter than D1, Dwill, CP3, and Westbrook and its not even close.

Third, Clyde's game and Wade's game isn't that far off but if I had a choice between Clyde and Wade? Its definitely Clyde.

Fourth, Kevin Love really? What about Karl Malone? Karl Malone would make Love's life a living hell. And what about Charles Barkley?

As for Durant, amazing scorer, but he lacks defense. how is he going to stop Magic or who ever he's guarding?

The only person this team would have trouble guarding is Pippen, but again, its not like Pippen is a terrible defender, Pippen was an elite defender. Plus if Lebron does get by Pip, again, Bron would get met by Robinson or Ewing at the rim.

I think people forget, the 92 team wasn't just stacked with amazing offensive talent, everybody on that 92 team was an elite offensive AND defensive talent. They played both sides of the ball unlike the 2012 team.

rockbottom2010
07-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Yeah they would flop today's dream team into victory :facepalm:

Only way today's DT has a chance of winning 1 game or a series is if they get today's ***** rules/reffing while 92 deals with their hardnosed rules/reffing. Oh wait theres no way in hell Olympic refs today can be that ******, so yeah today's DT's chances are slim to none.

obviously i know whats good.....im juss saying if the u want the full 2012 squad....but ya....92 team will murder 2012 all day...everyday....11 hall of famers

avrpatsfan
07-16-2012, 02:14 PM
MJ is right to league. The Dream Team would likely win by 10+ points.

heimdog8
07-16-2012, 05:57 PM
the 11 hall of famers argument needs to stop. michael was a good scorer but obviously ditched too many classes at north carolina. this 2012 team is in the middle of their careers. Not even kobe is a hall of famer yet. so of course the 92 team has 11 Hall of famers compared to none for 2012 team. DUH!! many players for 2012 team are younger than 25. they could all wind up in the HOF. who knows. the argument is flawed

effen5
07-16-2012, 06:17 PM
the 11 hall of famers argument needs to stop. michael was a good scorer but obviously ditched too many classes at north carolina. this 2012 team is in the middle of their careers. Not even kobe is a hall of famer yet. so of course the 92 team has 11 Hall of famers compared to none for 2012 team. DUH!! many players for 2012 team are younger than 25. they could all wind up in the HOF. who knows. the argument is flawed

MJ in his prime
Pippen in his prime
Drex in his prime
Admiral in his prime
Mailman in his prime
Stockton in his prime
Barkley in his prime
Ewing in his prime
Mullins in his prime

Do I need to continue?

The only three that was not in their prime? Bird (bad back), Magic (Still pretty damn good), CLate (college)

heimdog8
07-16-2012, 06:20 PM

First D12, D1, and Dwade are not on this team. Even if they were, D12's offense is extremely lacking compared to the Admiral and Patrick Ewing. Patrick Ewing and the Admiral are light years ahead of Dwights game in every way.

Second, D1, Dwill, CP3, and Westbrook? D1 is out but he and Westbrook would be difficult to guard because they drive at will to the rim but guess who they meet at the rim? 2 hof centers. And Dwill and CP3 are not better than Magic not to mention CP3 and Dwill have no chance in guarding Magic. I think people forget that Magic is 6'9. And Stockton is better defender and passer and shooter than D1, Dwill, CP3, and Westbrook and its not even close.

Third, Clyde's game and Wade's game isn't that far off but if I had a choice between Clyde and Wade? Its definitely Clyde.

Fourth, Kevin Love really? What about Karl Malone? Karl Malone would make Love's life a living hell. And what about Charles Barkley?

As for Durant, amazing scorer, but he lacks defense. how is he going to stop Magic or who ever he's guarding?

The only person this team would have trouble guarding is Pippen, but again, its not like Pippen is a terrible defender, Pippen was an elite defender. Plus if Lebron does get by Pip, again, Bron would get met by Robinson or Ewing at the rim.

I think people forget, the 92 team wasn't just stacked with amazing offensive talent, everybody on that 92 team was an elite offensive AND defensive talent. They played both sides of the ball unlike the 2012 team.

First I would like to say thank you for being the perfect example of how the 92 dream team had an EMOTIONAL impact on the game of basketball, much greater than just what they did on the court

Dwights athleticism is above and beyond that of robinsons and Ewings. Ewing could not keep up with him. Plus Howard is dominant defensively. He could definitely hold his ground with those guys. I always though Robinson was overated. and Ewing did have a solid hook shot. However, in international play, big men are used primarily for rebounding and defense. theres not as much post play. Ewing and Robinson might end up with the better career than Howard but again that was in a different era. Im talking strictly matchups Howard vs 92 team

its important to point out that im talking about the 92 team magic. Not magic in his prime. Magic is one of my favorite players. but in 92 he didnt even play in the nba that year. He was not in as good of shape and he would have a really tough time guarding the athletic point guards for the 12 team. Stockton was a hell of a player in his day. He made great passes and he would get a lot of steals. Hes a really smart player. Again, the film doesnt lie. Go back and watch the 92 team play. its like watching yourself as a kid when u think u had it all together then all the sudden when u watch video on it 10 years later you think "wow was I really that young and naive then". the 92 team was amazing and far beyond their time. but the game has changed so much. stockton was a great player. Is it possible that their could be a point guard in today's game that could be better than stockton? It goes back to my point about having an emotional tie to the legends. Would your mind even allow a point guard to be better than stockton or does he have "a special place in your heart". After all the new science and weight lifting and training and camps etc etc isnt it only natural for the next generation to be better than the last? DWILL and D1 are a faster stronger more athletic and more skilled version of stockton. Why wouldnt they be? They spent 20 years learning and watching him play? the game evolves.

George Washington will always have a place in Americas heart for what he did in his day. But the guy couldnt last a second in todays world. Its just not like it was.

Durant does not lack on defense. Your crazy. His length and help defense is really good.

The biggest X factor is Lebron James because he is the epitome of the new era of basketball. The 92 team simply doesnt have anything close to his size and freakish athleticism. The only way the 92 team could compete would be to foul guys hard and play that old school style of fouling guys hard and stuff like that. But there are fouls and this is basketball not a street fight were talking about.

KnicksR4Real
07-16-2012, 06:24 PM

this.

effen5
07-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Dude, when I compare basketbal from the past to now, basketball in the past is head over heels better. Players back in the day used fundamentals as an advantage compared to athleticism. Sure Athleticism helps but when you are a moron (Tyrus Thomas, Ja-Mcgee) it means absolute ****.

Second, Dwight is averaging 18 and 13 against an era with practically NO centers. He should be dominating this era but his lack of maturity and the lack of will to win clearly effects the way he plays.

DRob (btw is underrated imo) avg 21 and 10
PEwing avg 21-10

in an era where there were filled with HOF centers in the NBA.

Hakeem
Admiral
Patrick Ewing
Shaq
Vlade Divac
Dikembe Mutombo
Alonzo Mourning

effen5
07-16-2012, 06:33 PM

valade16
07-16-2012, 06:34 PM
Dwights athleticism is above and beyond that of robinsons and Ewings. Ewing could not keep up with him. Plus Howard is dominant defensively. He could definitely hold his ground with those guys. I always though Robinson was overated. and Ewing did have a solid hook shot. However, in international play, big men are used primarily for rebounding and defense. theres not as much post play. Ewing and Robinson might end up with the better career than Howard but again that was in a different era. Im talking strictly matchups Howard vs 92 team

After all the new science and weight lifting and training and camps etc etc isnt it only natural for the next generation to be better than the last? DWILL and D1 are a faster stronger more athletic and more skilled version of stockton. Why wouldnt they be? They spent 20 years learning and watching him play? the game evolves.

George Washington will always have a place in Americas heart for what he did in his day. But the guy couldnt last a second in todays world. Its just not like it was.

The biggest X factor is Lebron James because he is the epitome of the new era of basketball. The 92 team simply doesnt have anything close to his size and freakish athleticism. The only way the 92 team could compete would be to foul guys hard and play that old school style of fouling guys hard and stuff like that. But there are fouls and this is basketball not a street fight were talking about.

Wading through the drivel I've grabbed all the points you have that essentially boil down to "players today are way better and more athletic".

This is the biggest fallacy being perpetuated currently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGKMOT8yDH4

That is David Robinson being every bit as athletic and ferocious as Dwight Howard or Blake Griffin.

The very idea that he isn't on the same athletic level as the players of today is so asinine it really defies comprehension...

metsbulls1025
07-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Here is something that people never consider. When we does these types of comparisons I always see people say the players now are more athletic then the players back then. Yes that is true, but you can't compare them like that because the question is always if the teams played each other.

So the only way to compare them is to take the 92 team and bring them to modern day standards, which in turn would mean all those players would have grown up more athletic. Or you take the 2012 team and bring them to the 90's standards and they wouldn't be as athletic as they are now.

No matter how you do it the 90's team is better.

Bigdaddyburch
07-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Wading through the drivel I've grabbed all the points you have that essentially boil down to "players today are way better and more athletic".

This is the biggest fallacy being perpetuated currently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGKMOT8yDH4

That is David Robinson being every bit as athletic and ferocious as Dwight Howard or Blake Griffin.

The very idea that he isn't on the same athletic level as the players of today is so asinine it really defies comprehension...

LOL I know. He was a strong powerful but unusually quick and agile center. Not only could he play inside but he could shoot a nice long ball too. Its a joke what some of these guys think.

effen5
07-16-2012, 07:25 PM
What's a joke are the centers Of this era

69centers
07-16-2012, 08:09 PM
MJ in his prime
Pippen in his prime
Drex in his prime
Admiral in his prime
Mailman in his prime
Stockton in his prime
Barkley in his prime
Ewing in his prime
Mullins in his prime

Do I need to continue?

The only three that was not in their prime? Bird (bad back), Magic (Still pretty damn good), CLate (college)

x2

I think anyone who says this year's team is better is just thinking of the present because it's the most familiar to them. The '92 team would win by double digits. The '92 team would have an advantage at every position, with the exception of Lebron at SF.

Aust
07-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Besides the fact his still the GOAT or that his JB shoe brand have been selling like hot cakes for the past several years. w/ retro's coming out every month selling for ridonkulous amounts earning him Millions. And not to mention JB apparel and player signature shoes. And to top it all off his banging that hot younger broad w/ what i'm pretty sure is with his gold plated, multi-million, multi-championship shlong

How bout them Bobcats?! :p

Was referring to something else entirely :facepalm:

AIRMAR72
07-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Edit/Delete Message
rubbish

effen5
07-16-2012, 09:53 PM
after watching this brazil game, yeah I don't think so Kobe.

MadBomber
07-17-2012, 09:50 AM
after watching this brazil game, yeah i don't think so kobe.

+1

Evolution23
07-17-2012, 09:58 AM

Great post

Rentzias
07-17-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm with you on the 92 Wins It side, but would just like to make sure no one mistook Magic Johnson for an elite defensive talent.

LOOKOUT88
07-19-2012, 08:53 PM
LOL @ the people saying Howard , Rose etc would make a difference. He would be on the bench with 4 fouled after ten minutes. Were talking about a guy who was made a non factor by Perk! You think he has the skills to compete against Robinson , Ewing etc. The 92 team would walk through any of todays teams. Who would guard Barkley , Malone? Who would guard Robinson , Ewing? Serious question. The 92 team had actual ball players on that team. Not highlight reel floppers like James and Griffin. 92 had actual on ball defenders. Pip and 45 were much , much better defenders than anyone on todays team. They were arguably the two best defenders in the game. When playing defense actually mattered. Jordan , Stockton , Pip , Ewing , Robinson , were better defenders than anyone on todays team. BTW todays team struggled beating Brazil. F'n Brazil!

Aust
07-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Don't necro threads dude