PDA

View Full Version : Wolves to amnesty Darko Milicic

slynxpac
07-12-2012, 10:06 AM
The Minnesota Timberwolves plan to amnesty center Darko Milicic in order to give an offer sheet to Portland Trail Blazers restricted free agent Nicolas Batum, a league source says.

Milicic has two years and $10 million remaining on his contract but only $7 million is guaranteed.

The Timberwolves were in talks to trade for Batum, offering two first-round picks and acquiring Kyle Korver from the Bulls in exchange for a second-round pick, a league source said. But the teams were not able to agree to a trade.

Terms of the offer sheet were not available, but reports had it being a four-year, $45 million offer with bonuses that could push the deal past $50 million.

Blazers general manager Neil Olshey said Wednesday the team would match any offers for Batum, who reportedly agreed with the Timberwolves.

Agent Bouna Ndiaye also told The Associated Press that Batum wanted to play for the Wolves and that they hoped the Blazers either would not match the offer or execute a sign-and-trade.

Davidgta1
07-12-2012, 10:09 AM
About time they got rid of him.

Hawkeye15
07-12-2012, 10:13 AM
I know Kahn was trying to hold onto him for a potential trade chip midseason, but it needed to be done.

At least now Darko can chase his true dream now, finding the perfect sandwich.

Hellcrooner
07-12-2012, 10:14 AM
the funniest thing is probably some team will claim him.

Slug3
07-12-2012, 10:20 AM
I hope Miami gets him so we can have like 4 of the top 5 draft picks on our team.... would be pretty funny.

AddiX
07-12-2012, 10:22 AM
I remember when minny fans were talking him up his first season, some even said he wouod be an all star!

NBAfan4life
07-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Darko was not an over priced player. He is just inconsistent. If he had a killer instinct he would be a nice player in this league

WSU Tony
07-12-2012, 10:29 AM
I remember when minny fans were talking him up his first season, some even said he wouod be an all star!

We supported the notion that we were getting a serviceable NBA center for 5M per year. We knew what we would get from him and we knew that 5M dollars while signing a center doesn't go very far. He did his part but now it's time to part ways.

nycericanguy
07-12-2012, 10:31 AM

yea I recall the term "top 5 center" thrown around quite a bit, it was a horrible contract. Knick, Piston & Magic fans tried to warn MIN fans...

guy is such a prick, all the talent in the world wasted.

NBAfan4life
07-12-2012, 10:36 AM
yea I recall the term "top 5 center" thrown around quite a bit, it was a horrible contract. Knick, Piston & Magic fans tried to warn MIN fans...

guy is such a prick, all the talent in the world wasted.
bad.
Deandre Jordan is a horrible contract. Asik has all the potential in the world to be horrible. In todays NBA 5 mill for a center is not that bad

Hawkeye15
07-12-2012, 10:38 AM

gross. I remember defending the contract due to centers with a pulse making bank, but the dude was never mentally there.

phoenix_bladen
07-12-2012, 10:40 AM
lol the heat should definitely pick him u p

draft class 2003 all playing on the same team

and get kaman as well !

too bad hinrich signed with the bulls or else he could have started at pg too !

nycericanguy
07-12-2012, 10:42 AM
bad.
Deandre Jordan is a horrible contract. Asik has all the potential in the world to be horrible. In todays NBA 5 mill for a center is not that bad

it wasnt so much the money, it was the fact that at the time Darko was saying he was going back to Europe because the NBA was too hard. He always had a horrible attitude, and he only stayed because MIN threw $20m at him, otherwise he would have left. he wanted nothing to do with the NBA because it was too challenging. I mean god forbid he can't sit on the bench eating burgers like he once did in NY

Swashcuff
07-12-2012, 10:46 AM
gross. I remember defending the contract due to centers with a pulse making bank, but the dude was never mentally there.

I remember this as well. I thought it was a very good contract based on the way he played for them his first season there.

mark1125
07-12-2012, 10:49 AM
He will be snatched up. He is over 7'0 and young. Teams could do much worse at backup center than Darko.

TeamSeattle
07-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Vet min anyone?

Hawkeye15
07-12-2012, 10:55 AM
I mean god forbid he can't sit on the bench eating burgers like he once did in NY

late this season, I was watching a video of the Wolves practice, and Darko was riding the stationary bike mowing on a sandwich. I just laughed.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-12-2012, 10:57 AM
late this season, I was watching a video of the Wolves practice, and Darko was riding the stationary bike mowing on a sandwich. I just laughed.

Hahahah oh Darko. Maybe we can sign up for cheap to have a body off the bench for Brook

TheGirth
07-12-2012, 10:59 AM
I completely agree that he is a big waste of talent and just a bad guy to have in the locker room. However, in all fairness, when he first came to us he was traded for Brian Cardinal which is next to nothing. Plus, over the final 12 games in the season in which we acquired him he averaged 11.3 ppg,5.8 rpg, 2.1 apg, 1.2 spg, and 1.7 bpg.

Those numbers are not elite but they are more the serviceable for an NBA center and at this point Darko was still only 24 years old.

I can't believe I just stuck up for Darko..

tcav701
07-12-2012, 11:11 AM
I have a feeling the Slobcats get him.

phoenix_bladen
07-12-2012, 11:16 AM
was he really talented? i mean is it just because he doesn't have the right mind ?

does this guy really had that ability to be something special ?

Gritz
07-12-2012, 11:17 AM
He's an hall of fame caliber player tbh

NoahH
07-12-2012, 11:38 AM

Seriously?

DreamShaker
07-12-2012, 11:39 AM
I hope Miami gets him so we can have like 4 of the top 5 draft picks on our team.... would be pretty funny.

I was just thinking that. He would also, actually, be a good fit.

b@llhog24
07-12-2012, 11:44 AM
He probably won't but if he cleared waivers, he'd be a good signing for the Heat.

DreamShaker
07-12-2012, 11:49 AM
was he really talented? i mean is it just because he doesn't have the right mind ?

does this guy really had that ability to be something special ?

Joe Dumars thought so. He is a lot like Kwame Brown. Plays basketball because hes huge and physically gifted. They are both good athletes, decent defenders, but have no real basketball skill. This is the downside of upside and why guys like Drummond will always be drafted higher than guys like Sullinger even though no one can debate who is currently a better basketball player.

Hawkeye15
07-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Joe Dumars thought so. He is a lot like Kwame Brown. Plays basketball because hes huge and physically gifted. They are both good athletes, decent defenders, but have no real basketball skill. This is the downside of upside and why guys like Drummond will always be drafted higher than guys like Sullinger even though no one can debate who is currently a better basketball player.

Milicic blew scouts away with his size, speed, fluidity, and soft hands and touch around the basket.

Unfortunately, they had no idea that he has his nuts removed at some point.

SportsNY
07-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Don't know why they gave him that contract a year ago, and now they don't want it. Surprise-Surprise.

mark1125
07-12-2012, 12:03 PM

It wasn't just Dumars. The consensus was that Milicic was the smart pick at #2. Lot of folks missed the boat on that including myself.

Punk
07-12-2012, 12:05 PM
I'd give him another chance if he can be content with being a 3rd string. He never was consistent in Minny.

slynxpac
07-12-2012, 12:08 PM
johnhollinger John Hollinger
Fine print: Minimum bid on Darko will be >$2 mil yr in auction to offset non-guaranteed portion in 2013-14.

Gritz
07-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Seriously?

lol

TheNumber37
07-12-2012, 12:22 PM
I remember him having on stretch where he played pretty well. I Still think he can be a serviceable backup. I could see a young team like the Cavs or Warriors grab em.

I think he would most useful as the 3rd big on the Spurs. Maybe he'd learn something from Pop and Timmy D

DerekRE_3
07-12-2012, 12:26 PM
I know Kahn was trying to hold onto him for a potential trade chip midseason, but it needed to be done.

At least now Darko can chase his true dream now, finding the perfect sandwich.

Can't believe Kahn gave up on the best passing big man of all time.

Hawkeye15
07-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Can't believe Kahn gave up on the best passing big man of all time.

you mean the Serbian love child of Webber and Divac?

DerekRE_3
07-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Exactly

IIISSKiLL
07-12-2012, 12:32 PM
lol the heat should definitely pick him u p

draft class 2003 all playing on the same team

and get kaman as well !

too bad hinrich signed with the bulls or else he could have started at pg too !

Hinrich woud NOT start on this heat roster.. Rio will smoke his ***.. yeah i said it

popo85
07-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Get Kwame and Darko on the same team!!

IIISSKiLL
07-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Get Kwame and Darko on the same team!!

The new Robinson, and Duncan

Stinkyoutsider
07-12-2012, 12:44 PM
I think Darko is done in the NBA. Not because he doesn't have the skill but because he's mentally not there. He already thinks the NBA is not for him and I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to Europe where he can start, play a lot of minutes, and get some respect as a player.

Wow, it seems like the Wolves don't quite know what they want to do with their roster? I thought they had a bunch of decent wing players and just needed a backup big with some talent?

Well, either way, Love isn't happy with the team and that's bad if the best player on your team and one of the better players in the league is fed up with not having a good team.

SugeKnight
07-12-2012, 12:51 PM

Seriously dude??? He's "an" Hall of Famer? Our educational system :pity:

TeamSeattle
07-12-2012, 12:55 PM

Your really belittling a guy for the misproper use of "a" and "an"? :rolleyes:

utl768
07-12-2012, 01:24 PM
i could see the heat taking a chance on him

elizur
07-12-2012, 03:28 PM

You are missing a comma after seriously. I dont ever recall a sentence being gramatically correct when it ends with three question marks. Plus, your last sentence is incomplete.

noodle
07-12-2012, 04:55 PM

Furp.

jiggin
07-12-2012, 05:08 PM
TW did this to be able to get Batum to sign the offer sheet (they have to have the cap space BEFORE a player signs the sheet) but the TW didn' submit the signed Batum offer sheet to the league because they still hope that Portland will do a sign and trade, and that can not be done once the offer sheet is submitted under new CBA rules.

Once that offer sheet is submitted, the Blazers will only have 2 choices, match or let him walk. They aren't going to just let him walk.

The main hold up is that the 2 draft picks they are offering aren't going to be good picks, more like middle of the first round. That isn't worth it for the blazers who can sign him long term (a 5 year deal if needed) and use him as a trade chip later or use him as part of the core young team they are trying to build along side Aldridge.

Batum has publically come out here in Portland and said he would prefer to play in Minnesota but if he returns to the blazers that would be ok too. His agent is the one ruffling feathers on the issue.

Hawkeye15
07-12-2012, 05:23 PM
TW did this to be able to get Batum to sign the offer sheet (they have to have the cap space BEFORE a player signs the sheet) but the TW didn' submit the signed Batum offer sheet to the league because they still hope that Portland will do a sign and trade, and that can not be done once the offer sheet is submitted under new CBA rules.

Once that offer sheet is submitted, the Blazers will only have 2 choices, match or let him walk. They aren't going to just let him walk.

The main hold up is that the 2 draft picks they are offering aren't going to be good picks, more like middle of the first round. That isn't worth it for the blazers who can sign him long term (a 5 year deal if needed) and use him as a trade chip later or use him as part of the core young team they are trying to build along side Aldridge.

Batum has publically come out here in Portland and said he would prefer to play in Minnesota but if he returns to the blazers that would be ok too. His agent is the one ruffling feathers on the issue.

I agree with the whole post.

Glen20
07-12-2012, 08:51 PM

it can be used before a word starting with a silent h however