PDA

View Full Version : Luis Scola to be amnestied?

airforceones25
07-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Getting in position for the planned next move will be difficult. To create enough cap room for the kind of blockbuster trade that has been proposed, the Rockets are considering making veteran forward Luis Scola an amnesty cut, likely in the next 48 hours, a person with knowledge of the move said. That would create enough cap room for the Rockets to take on the additional contracts necessary to complete a trade for Howard. Houston Chronicle

link (http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/07/rockets-re-emerge-as-contender-in-howard-sweepstakes-as-talks-with-magic-grow-serious/)

Giannis94
07-11-2012, 10:32 PM
theres no link

black1605
07-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Saw this on Twitter. Would love for the Bobcats to sign him.

TeamSeattle
07-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Jorge Sierra: Rumors: Rockets consider making Luis Scola an amnesty cut. http://bit.ly/vIcV9Q

C-Style
07-11-2012, 10:35 PM
wow and Dwight said he will walk on them lol

Chill_Will_24
07-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Wow the Rockets are stupid!

Chill_Will_24
07-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI

Big reason Houston, GSW, Atlanta might take DH12 as a rental: If they can’t get him to commit by February, just flip him to the Nets

Chill_Will_24
07-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Chris Mannix: It’s a risk, but a good one. At worst, you wind up with Lopez, Brooks and a few number one picks. 2 minutes ago

bholly
07-11-2012, 10:38 PM
I doubt they'd do it until an agreement was in place with Orlando and it was the last thing needed to be done. I don't think they're going to take that risk unless they're pretty sure it's happening.

justinnum1
07-11-2012, 10:39 PM
interesting. houston has to do something, they will never be contenders doing what they are doing now

Chill_Will_24
If the Rockets trade all those assets including a GUARANTEED lottery pick and use up their amnesty on a good player just to get Brook Lopez.... smh

bholly
Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI

Big reason Houston, GSW, Atlanta might take DH12 as a rental: If they can’t get him to commit by February, just flip him to the Nets

Chris Mannix: It’s a risk, but a good one. At worst, you wind up with Lopez, Brooks and a few number one picks. 2 minutes ago

Oh man. I really really hope Nets fans start jumping behind this argument, after thinking it was completely ridiculous when we all made it a few days ago and it didn't support what they wanted then.

koetravis
07-11-2012, 10:41 PM
I love Scola but we have, as all of you know, 67 power fowards on the team. I know this is also making room for Howard but it's also clearing room for the younger guys to show us what they are made of.

Ezio
07-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Kyrie and Scola :pray:

Hawkeye15
07-11-2012, 10:45 PM
I would love the Wolves to pick up Scola, but I doubt he falls to us on the waiver list.

C-Style
07-11-2012, 10:48 PM

after giving up all they gave up just to get him, yeah ok. :facepalm:

bholly
07-11-2012, 10:49 PM
I would love the Wolves to pick up Scola, but I doubt he falls to us on the waiver list.

How's his relationship with Love?

Hawkeye15
07-11-2012, 10:50 PM
How's his relationship with Love?

bfff's dude

BSardogan
07-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Eventhough Scola completely forgot how to play defense and rebound a few years ago I still love the guy and I wish him all the best of luck if he gets amnestied. Hope he ends up playing for a contender to go for a ring in his last few years, he deserves to be put in a winning position for just this one time.

asap_simba
07-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Guess they are going all in for Dwight. Even if they dont get dwight they atleast get rid of scola and his big contract. Opens upo the roster a bit for some of their younger big men.

Chill_Will_24
07-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Oh man. I really really hope Nets fans start jumping behind this argument, after thinking it was completely ridiculous when we all made it a few days ago and it didn't support what they wanted then.

Rephrase your post please because i am unsure as to what point you are trying to make. Im not being funny BTW. Im serious.

THE MTL
07-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Houston just has no plan whatsoever.

Weezy
07-11-2012, 10:56 PM
If this happens, Houston deserves this from me:

:pity::pity::pity:

NBA-GMaster
07-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Thats stupid houston, you shoulve trade Scola for 1st pick..
Scola would be nice to team up in Miami, Oklahoma or Chicago(amnestized Boozer then resign Asik) ..

SpaceJamJordans
07-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Clippers. He can start over DeAndre

gotoHcarolina52
07-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Daryl Morey must really love Brook Lopez

WhiteSoxGod
07-11-2012, 11:03 PM
As my fellow Rockets fans know this is not news to us. We have always expected to amnesty Scola or trade him. This is not new. The Rockets are the most aggressive trade partner and hell after everything they've done to make this trade happen. Didn't ya'll realize it was inevitable.

jayjay33
07-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Could somebody tell me how they expect to get him to sign by the deadline? Even if by some miracle he decides to stay he wont re-up till the season is over. We all know d12 is not going to take less money to sign in Houston.

popo85
07-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Houston just has no plan whatsoever.

tanking for 2013's 1st pick now.

jayjay33
07-11-2012, 11:09 PM
after giving up all they gave up just to get him, yeah ok. :facepalm:

Right...and he cant sign before the end of the season or he doent get all his money. So what is the point?

Cracka2HI!
07-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Is it just me or is Houston having one of the worst off-season's in NBA history? Let's say they get Howard. Say it costs them; Martin, Patterson, Lamb, Jones and a buncha #1's. What will they have if they amnesty Scola?

PF Asik
SF Turkuglu
C Howard
SG J-Rich
PG Douglas?

Isn't that FAR worse than the team Howard is coming from :shrug:

OT Thriller
07-11-2012, 11:11 PM
This would be so moronic of a move. I could see if Scola wasn't a good player but 14.5 ppg 7.7 rpg career average for a big man who is only 32 is another story. Congrats to whichever team gets him off waivers. They would be getting a hand wrapped gift in Scola.

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Remember all those Lakers fans that had a hard-on with a Pau for Lowry & Scola deal. (I was always against it).

Well, Lowry got traded to Toronto for a lottery pick, and Scola is going to be amnestied and probably end up on a crappy team with salary cap space as they'll have first dibs on him in the amnesty process. :laugh2:

Pau >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lowry & Scola, Lowry & Scola, Lowry & Scola :bang:

Oh my fellow Laker fans, wtf were you thinking?!?!? :laugh:

marj987
07-11-2012, 11:14 PM
If they are going to amnesty him then The Mavs need to pass on Brand.

bholly
07-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Rephrase your post please because i am unsure as to what point you are trying to make. Im not being funny BTW. Im serious.

A few days ago a bunch of us were saying that the risk Houston face by trading for Howard isn't actually that big, because in the worst case scenario where it looks like he's going to walk you can just flip him (or S+T in the offseason) to Brooklyn or LAL or wherever he'd be happy to stay, getting decent assets in return.
A bunch of Nets (and Laker) fans didn't want to acknowledge that it made sense for any other team to trade for Howard, so they ridiculed that argument - never really explaining why it didn't make sense, many of them just resorting to 'Houston wouldn't take the risk because they know Howard would just walk', never explaining where he'd walk to and completely ignoring the actual point we were all making.

But now it looks like that sort of trade - where Dwight goes to somewhere like Houston first - is the only way he could end up in Brooklyn, so I'm saying it would be really funny if Nets fans realize that and suddenly start arguing for Houston to make the move, accepting the rationale that they ridiculed or ignored days earlier when it didn't suit them.

keetyweedy
07-11-2012, 11:17 PM
If they are going to amnesty him then The Mavs need to pass on Brand.

Co-sign

Chill_Will_24
07-11-2012, 11:20 PM
A few days ago a bunch of us were saying that the risk Houston face by trading for Howard isn't actually that big, because in the worst case scenario where it looks like he's going to walk you can just flip him (or S+T in the offseason) to Brooklyn or LAL or wherever he'd be happy to stay, getting decent assets in return.
A bunch of Nets (and Laker) fans didn't want to acknowledge that it made sense for any other team to trade for Howard, so they ridiculed that argument - never really explaining why it didn't make sense, many of them just resorting to 'Houston wouldn't take the risk because they know Howard would just walk', never explaining where he'd walk to and completely ignoring the actual point we were all making.

But now it looks like that sort of trade - where Dwight goes to somewhere like Houston first - is the only way he could end up in Brooklyn, so I'm saying it would be really funny if Nets fans realize that and suddenly start arguing for Houston to make the move, accepting the rationale that they ridiculed or ignored days earlier when it didn't suit them.

oh lol yea i agree. I mentioned it this morning in the other thread that the Rockets could always get Lopez but still... all the assets they would have to give up for Howard just to end up with Lopez? Ouch.

jmoney85
07-11-2012, 11:21 PM
it makes sense for houston if they want brook lopez?... but if it came down to the fact that if dwight doesnt stay there and you trade him at the deadline you essentially traded a dwight howard trade package for brook lopez

NBA-GMaster
07-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Dont be stupid Morey, You should amnestized a bad contract that you will receive from Magic not Scola.. rather have Scola than Turkoglu..

MagicBucsSox
07-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Haters:"magic have to take Brooklyn's offer , no one will give up anything"

Me:"ahahahahahahahahaha"

Houston: "ahahahahahahaha"

Patrick Ewing33
07-11-2012, 11:30 PM
But why?

MagicBucsSox
07-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Dont be stupid Morey, You should amnestized a bad contract that you will receive from Magic not Scola.. rather have Scola than Turkoglu..

Take your own advice, you cant amnesty and trade player

:facepalm:

Chill_Will_24
07-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Take your own advice, you cant amnesty and trade player

Umm double fail? I think he meant that he would rather HOU use their amnesty on Turkeyman if they get him from ORL than use their amnesty on Scola who they could still trade

bholly
07-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Umm double fail? I think he meant that he would rather HOU use their amnesty on Turkeyman if they get him from ORL than use their amnesty on Scola who they could still trade

He's pointing out that Hou can't trade for Turk then amnesty him. You can only amnesty guys you've had since before this CBA.

Chill_Will_24
07-11-2012, 11:40 PM
He's pointing out that Hou can't trade for Turk then amnesty him. You can only amnesty guys you've had since before this CBA.

Oh well :facepalm: to me then

bomber0104
07-11-2012, 11:40 PM
seems really stupid for Houston.. no way Howard comes back and essentially they would be making the trade for Lopez on a horrible contract and half a year with Howard

bomber0104
07-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Also.... what happens if Lopez gets hurt in the first half which is very possible?

no one else is gonna trade for Howard at the deadline

arkanian215
07-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Get Scola!!!! i'm guessing the Nets really can't.

Chill_Will_24
07-11-2012, 11:46 PM
seems really stupid for Houston.. no way Howard comes back and essentially they would be making the trade for Lopez on a horrible contract and half a year with Howard

Dude you have yet to see how Lopez will play this year and your already calling it a horrible contract? I swear people throw the phrase "horrible contract" around just get a reaction from ppl.

Lopez is a talented 7'1 C and there were multiple teams lining up to give him similar deals. Casual fans call Lopez trash yet GM's that make millions to do this and know these things value Lopez enough to offer him a max deals.

its not like Tyson Chandler who went to the first idiot that offered him huge money

koetravis
07-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Howard or no Howard, Rocket fan's have seen this coming. His contract is pretty bad for a rebuilding team, not to mention the plethora of PF's we have on this team. The starting job will probably be won out in the summer league.

Chill_Will_24
07-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Also.... what happens if Lopez gets hurt in the first half which is very possible?

no one else is gonna trade for Howard at the deadline

What happens if Howard's back prevents him from being the player he was? No point in "what ifs"...

Lopez has the same injury that his twin brother had and Robin Lopez healed and it hasnt been a problem since so no reason to think Brook wont recover similarly

Iceman_9
07-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Rockets are desperate..

koetravis
07-11-2012, 11:58 PM
Is it just me or is Houston having one of the worst off-season's in NBA history? Let's say they get Howard. Say it costs them; Martin, Patterson, Lamb, Jones and a buncha #1's. What will they have if they amnesty Scola?

PF Asik
SF Turkuglu
C Howard
SG J-Rich
PG Douglas?

Isn't that FAR worse than the team Howard is coming from :shrug:

Worst off-season in NBA history? That's a bit of a stretch don't you think? And seeing as you know nothing about the Rocket's current roster, lemme help you out on this terrible line-up and since we're playing what if's this is what it could potentially look like.

PG-Felton or Brooks/Douglas/Livingston
SG-Jrich(I don't see us giving up Lamb but whatever)/Redd?
SF-Parsons/Hedo/Morris
PF-Motiejunas(If you don't know him, look him up)/White
C-Howard/Asik

So to answer your last question, no this is not a worst team than what Howard is coming from.

NBA-GMaster
07-12-2012, 12:01 AM
I was thinking about 2013 offseason.. You can only use amnesty once..
Amnestized Turkoglu then keep Scola.. they could get better value and many suitors on scola rather than turkoglu..

LTBaByyy
07-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Bigger question is who is the best prospect for Rockets as Starting PF

Patterson, White, Jones or Motiejunas? Good choices

koetravis
07-12-2012, 12:06 AM

Patterson, White, or Jones? Good choices

I see Jones' becoming a SF. But we also have Motiejunas coming over this year and he probably has the best chance at starting seeing as he has professional experience. And i potentially see us trading Patterson and Morris for a PG.

NBA-GMaster
07-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Here we go again,
Rockets need a 3rd team here for scola in exchange for a 1st pick please.. :facepalm:

GiantsSwaGG
07-12-2012, 12:08 AM
I want him on the Knicks

WhiteSoxGod
07-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Worst off-season in NBA history? That's a bit of a stretch don't you think? And seeing as you know nothing about the Rocket's current roster, lemme help you out on this terrible line-up and since we're playing what if's this is what it could potentially look like.

PG-Felton or Brooks/Douglas/Livingston
SG-Jrich(I don't see us giving up Lamb but whatever)/Redd?
SF-Parsons/Hedo/Morris
PF-Motiejunas(If you don't know him, look him up)/White
C-Howard/Asik

So to answer your last question, no this is not a worst team than what Howard is coming from.

Yeah I think people forget that we had 3 lottery picks this year, we have 3 1st rd picks and 3 2nd rd picks next year. THEN in 2014 we have another 2 1st rd picks and 2 more 2nd rd picks.

If we take ALL of those bad contracts from Orlando we would only have to send them 1 or 2 1st rd picks. This means we could keep all the rest of those picks.

THEN we still have whoever we don't have to give up out of: Donatas Motiejunas, Jeremy Lamb, Royce White, Terrence Jones, Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris, Chandler Parsons, Kevin Martin, plus several other guys.

By the way ALL of those guys are young and former 1st rd picks.

We would also have enough cap space EVEN with the bad contracts next year to re-sign Howard/Bynum with 16 million remaining. We would also have enough assets to sign-and-trade for another star like Chris Paul or Josh smith.

So no this offseason has the potential to be GREAT for the Rockets. I love Daryl Morey. The Guy knows his ****.

WhiteSoxGod
07-12-2012, 12:09 AM

Patterson, White, Jones or Motiejunas? Good choices

Motiejunas for sure. I think this guy is going to be a beast.

bholly
07-12-2012, 12:10 AM
I honestly don't think Morey would have Lopez in mind as the bail-out - it's the worst-case scenario, not the plan. The only way he does this trade is if he's willing to wait for the off-season (because he knows Dwight won't opt in during the season when he still thinks he could get traded to Brooklyn, so if Morey isn't willing to wait for the off-season then he'd know all along he's ending up with Lopez and wouldn't do it).

When the off-season comes it isn't just 'trade to Brooklyn or lose him for nothing'. It might be that only Atlanta and Dallas (and maybe not even them) have the cap room to sign him. If that's the case, Houston can S+T him to any team he'd rather be at than those two. It doesn't matter if he'd rather Brooklyn to LAL - if he prefers LAL to Dallas or Atlanta then he'll end up agreeing to it rather than walking.
For all we know he might prefer any number of capped out teams to the cap-room teams - NYK, LAL, CHI, MIA, OKC, who knows? All we know is that he liked Dallas back when he thought they might be getting DWill, but I don't think that counts for anyone but Dallas fans now.
So I think Morey would be hoping to convince him to stay as Plan A. For Plan B, in which they give up on him and look to S+T him, he could be targeting a whole lot of people other than just Lopez. He just needs to find a team where Dwight would rather be than Atlanta or Dallas. Those teams would also now be willing to make their best offers, because they'd be getting him on a fresh full-length S+T contract rather than just the current rental offer. If the only team Dwight prefers to those two is Brooklyn, then Lopez is their only option. But I think Morey will think there will be other teams, too, and could be targeting any of them.

WhiteSoxGod
07-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Howard or no Howard, Rocket fan's have seen this coming. His contract is pretty bad for a rebuilding team, not to mention the plethora of PF's we have on this team. The starting job will probably be won out in the summer league.

Yeah that's what I have been saying for us Rockets fans we saw the amnestying of Scola coming for a while. I mean as soon as we heard we could do this all of us Rockets fans went "Luis Scola, come on down...lol".

bholly
07-12-2012, 12:11 AM
I was thinking about 2013 offseason.. You can only use amnesty once..
Amnestized Turkoglu then keep Scola.. they could get better value and many suitors on scola rather than turkoglu..

You can only amnesty guys that have been on your roster since July 1 2011. The Rockets cannot trade for Turkoglu then amnesty him.

DRose7
07-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Guess they are going all in for Dwight. Even if they dont get dwight they atleast get rid of scola and his big contract. Opens upo the roster a bit for some of their younger big men.

Lol, there have been alot worse contracts than this. 9 million for 16 pts, 7rebs, 2 ast aint bad at all.

NBA-GMaster
07-12-2012, 12:15 AM
You can only amnesty guys that have been on your roster since July 1 2011. The Rockets cannot trade for Turkoglu then amnesty him.

I was referring for next year so they could save their capspace by using amnesty on Turkoglu.. Who wants Scola for a 1st pick.. :clap:

DRose7
07-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Better Question is whats gonna happen with Kevin Martin??

bholly
07-12-2012, 12:21 AM
I was referring for next year so they could save their capspace by using amnesty on Turkoglu.. Who wants Scola for a 1st pick.. :clap:

I still don't know for sure what you're saying so I'm going to be as clear as I can:

Nobody can amnesty Turkoglu ever. Not this year, not next year.

The only team that ever could've amnestied him was Orlando, but they used their amnesty on Arenas.

Turkoglu cannot ever be amnestied by anyone.

koetravis
07-12-2012, 12:23 AM
You think people would learn about the amnesty clause before they start talking about it. Lol

NBA-GMaster
07-12-2012, 12:24 AM
I still don't know for sure what you're saying so I'm going to be as clear as I can:

Nobody can amnesty Turkoglu ever. Not this year, not next year.

The only team that ever could've amnestied him was Orlando, but they used their amnesty on Arenas.

Turkoglu cannot ever be amnestied by anyone.

No way.. Billups was amnestized by Knicks last offseason when he was traded in Melo trade.. Hedo can be amnestized next year's offseason..

koetravis
07-12-2012, 12:27 AM
No way.. Billups was amnestized by Knicks last offseason when he was traded in Melo trade.. Hedo can be amnestized next year's offseason..

Billups was a Knick whenever Melo was traded there. Look, if Hedo was dealt to the Rocket's, they could not amnesty him. They would be stuck with his contarct unless a buy-out agreement was reached.

Draco

Hoping that Howard possibly goes to Houston so he could possibly come to the Nets is kinda ridiculous. A lot can happen in that span of time; like Houston trading him to another team that Howard flip flops onto at that moment.

WhiteSoxGod

They will probably trade him and his expiring contract to Orlando.

WhiteSoxGod
07-12-2012, 12:30 AM

http://allsportseverything.com/2011/12/the-nbas-new-amnesty-clause-explained-cause-youve-asked/

Since the NBA ratified the new CBA, the buzzword around town has been “amnesty”. It’s dominated any and every NBA conversation. But judging by the number of people who’ve hit me up requesting I explain the amnesty clause, there seems to be some confusion among the masses about exactly what the hell amnesty is and how it works. Here is my attempt to answer all of your questions related to the amnesty clause in the most laymanest layman terms ever.
What is the amnesty clause?

- Well, it’s the “Allan Houston Rule“ with a twist. Back in ’05, teams were allowed to waive one player’s contract. The player would still get paid, and it would still count against the cap, but they wouldn’t get hit with a luxury tax. Now with the amnesty clause 2.0, not only do teams have the opportunity to dump a player and his bloated contract, but this time it DOES NOT count against the cap and teams also DO NOT have to pay luxury tax on that salary. Teams no longer are held hostage by a player’s bad contract. Instead the one-time get out of jail free card provide teams much needed relief and the license to acquire another player that will add true value to the team’s championship push.
Who’s eligible?

Players who were signed prior to 2011-2012. In other words, Golden State just signed Kwame Brown to a one-year, $7 million deal. They will not be able to amnesty him once they realize how incredibly dumb of a move that was.
Once the player is waived, then what?

Teams with cap space place silent bids for the player and the highest bidder wins, similar to an auction. A team can claim a player at a much lower rate than what they were under contract for. If a player goes unclaimed he becomes a free agent and is then free to sign with any team. One of the first players to be amnestied was Chauncey Billups. The NY Knicks waived him which opened up cap space for them to acquire Tyson Chandler. Sweet baby Jesus! (I just did a little Antoine Walker shimmy in my chair as I typed that, by the way.) But I digress because someone not jumping for joy is Chauncey Billups. Unhappy about being amnestied, Billups released a statement via his agent warning teams he was only interested in playing for an NBA championship contender. He’s subsequently been claimed by the LA Clippers. Yes, probably one of the teams he was trying to warn off. But the NBA isn’t having it. They’ve since told Billups he better report to the team or else they’ll take action against him. That’s the downside of the amnesty clause, from a player’s perspective.
Why the silent auction bidding?

- This prevents players from flocking to teams like the Lakers or Heat. Instead, non-contenders have a better shot at claiming players that wouldn’t have entertained them, otherwise, at a fraction of the price; hence Billups’s attempt at circumventing the system.
OK, so if the contract doesn’t count against the cap, then who’s responsible for paying the player? His old team? New team? The league? Who?

- Both. His old and new team split the tab. The new team covers the portion they bid for, and the old team pays the balance.
How many players are teams allowed to amnesty?

- One player per team, only.
Is there a deadline by which teams must exercise their amnesty rights?

- Yes, there’s a seven day window. If teams expect to use the amnesty clause this season, they must use it by Friday, 12/16. Otherwise, they can save it to be used for another season through 2015-2016. However, each team only gets the right to amnesty one player through this period.

Can teams trade players they’ve claimed via amnesty or are they stuck with them?

Yes, teams can trade their newly acquired players but must wait 30-days before doing so.
Can a team reclaim a player they amnestied?

- No, once they sever ties, that’s it.

bholly
07-12-2012, 12:30 AM

Billups was already on the Knicks roster by July 1, 2011, so he could be amnestied. The Melo trade happened before the new CBA.

Turkoglu was no on the Rockets roster by July 1, 2011, so he cannot be amnestied by the Rockets.

Turkoglu WAS on the Magic roster by July 1, 2011, so they're the only team that could amnesty him, but they already used their amnesty on Arenas so they can't anymore.

WhiteSoxGod
07-12-2012, 12:34 AM
Billups was already on the Knicks roster by July 1, 2011, so he could be amnestied. The Melo trade happened before the new CBA.

Turkoglu was no on the Rockets roster by July 1, 2011, so he cannot be amnestied by the Rockets.

Turkoglu WAS on the Magic roster by July 1, 2011, so they're the only team that could amnesty him, but they already used their amnesty on Arenas so they can't anymore.

Right and that is why I posted the facts about the amnesty program.

bholly
07-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Right and that is why I posted the facts about the amnesty program.

Yup! I think I posted just after you - hadn't seen it when I hit 'reply'.

gotoHcarolina52
07-12-2012, 12:36 AM
:laugh2: "amnestized"

rurichie
07-12-2012, 12:40 AM
Saw this on Twitter. Would love for the Bobcats to sign him.

You guys might get Hump though!

SouthSideRookie
07-12-2012, 12:43 AM
Motiejunas for sure. I think this guy is going to be a beast.
Ughh If the trade goes down i hope he's not included in the deal.

I honestly don't think Morey would have Lopez in mind as the bail-out - it's the worst-case scenario, not the plan. The only way he does this trade is if he's willing to wait for the off-season (because he knows Dwight won't opt in during the season when he still thinks he could get traded to Brooklyn, so if Morey isn't willing to wait for the off-season then he'd know all along he's ending up with Lopez and wouldn't do it).

When the off-season comes it isn't just 'trade to Brooklyn or lose him for nothing'. It might be that only Atlanta and Dallas (and maybe not even them) have the cap room to sign him. If that's the case, Houston can S+T him to any team he'd rather be at than those two. It doesn't matter if he'd rather Brooklyn to LAL - if he prefers LAL to Dallas or Atlanta then he'll end up agreeing to it rather than walking.
For all we know he might prefer any number of capped out teams to the cap-room teams - NYK, LAL, CHI, MIA, OKC, who knows? All we know is that he liked Dallas back when he thought they might be getting DWill, but I don't think that counts for anyone but Dallas fans now.
So I think Morey would be hoping to convince him to stay as Plan A. For Plan B, in which they give up on him and look to S+T him, he could be targeting a whole lot of people other than just Lopez. He just needs to find a team where Dwight would rather be than Atlanta or Dallas. Those teams would also now be willing to make their best offers, because they'd be getting him on a fresh full-length S+T contract rather than just the current rental offer. If the only team Dwight prefers to those two is Brooklyn, then Lopez is their only option. But I think Morey will think there will be other teams, too, and could be targeting any of them.

People just don't learn, someone tweets and just speculates and guesses on Morey's thinking and people run with it. You're exactly right, not very likely Morey does that. It's already been said several times but I'll say it again, Brook Lopez will not yield the best center in the game, period.

On Dallas, if Deron who is from Dallas didn't find it appealing enough to play with an aging Dirk, what makes people think Dwight will.

He would likely go to Orlando since he's an expiring contract.

WhiteSoxGod
07-12-2012, 12:47 AM
Ughh If the trade goes down i hope he's not included in the deal.

People just don't learn, someone tweets and just speculates and guesses on Morey's thinking and people run with it. You're exactly right, not very likely Morey does that. It's already been said several times but I'll say it again, Brook Lopez will not yield the best center in the game, period.

On Dallas, if Deron who is from Dallas didn't find it appealing enough to play with an aging Dirk, what makes people think Dwight will.

He would likely go to Orlando since he's an expiring contract.

Motiejunas won't be included because we can't trade him until at least 30 days after he signed.

SouthSideRookie
07-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Motiejunas won't be included because we can't trade him until at least 30 days after he signed.

Yes you're right I totally forgot.

Trueblue2
07-12-2012, 12:55 AM

What don't you get about "you can't trade for Turk then amnesty him"?

It doesn't matter if it's right after the trade or a year later, it's still not allowed.

*Superman*
07-12-2012, 12:55 AM
:laugh2: "amnestized"

Lmfao. I saw that too.

*Superman*
07-12-2012, 12:57 AM
Realistically, what can the Magic expect to get back, Houston fans. Say we give Dwight, Jrich and Duhon. If anything. Take Duhon out.

koetravis
07-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Realistically, what can the Magic expect to get back, Houston fans. Say we give Dwight, Jrich and Duhon. If anything. Take Duhon out.

Probably anything but Lamb, Parsons, and Motiejunas. Maybe White but with the amount of picks that the Rocket's are prepared to send over and the amount of cap relief the Magic get, it's worth it.

bholly
07-12-2012, 01:24 AM
It's also worth noting that from next year you can't accept players in a S+T if it takes you over the apron ($4m above the luxury tax). That's ~$74.3m this year, and next year it could be anywhere around there - up or down a few mil. Deron, JJ, Wallace, Dwight alone will be on ~$70.4m.

So it's likely any potential S+T in the next offseason of Dwight to Brooklyn would either have to take back Wallace as well as Lopez (which doesn't seem all that likely) or would have to take back just about everything else the Nets have, otherwise it wouldn't be allowed.

TheNumber37
07-12-2012, 01:36 AM
San Antonio Would be a great look.
I could see Atlanta, Toronto, Hornets and phoenix showing interest.

Monta is beast
07-12-2012, 01:40 AM
Warriors :pray:

WhiteSoxGod
07-12-2012, 01:47 AM
Yup! I think I posted just after you - hadn't seen it when I hit 'reply'.

That's what usually happens to me.

flatbush knicks
07-12-2012, 02:12 AM
Warriors :pray:

NoahH
07-12-2012, 02:25 AM
:pray: clear waivers and come to Miami!

Monta is beast

Monta is beast

Kevj77
07-12-2012, 05:11 AM
What does the Nets salary cap situation look like next offseason? Teams can't do a S&T that puts them 4 million over the tax. They wouldn't have the cap space to sign him outright, but they can still do a S&T as long as it doesn't put them 4 million over the tax.

It would be impossible for the Lakers to do a sign and trade in the offseason they are way over the tax.

• Except during the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons, teams are prohibited from using a sign-and-trade if their team salary post-transaction would exceed the tax level by more than $4 million. Sign-and-trade contracts will have a maximum length of four years and receive 4.5% annual increases.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/12/08/labor-deal-reached/index.html

I think the Nets could pull it off if they don't commit to anyone, but Dwill, Wallace, JJ and Lopez this season because Lopez and Brooks would be part of any deal for Howard.

Evolution23
07-12-2012, 06:47 AM

U guys should get prime Jordan, prime Jabar, and prime Magic too. Discounted!

thenaj17
07-12-2012, 07:35 AM
I'd love Scola with Lakers. He's too good for anyones bench really though and can't see him not getting claimed if he is waived.

Jroz
07-12-2012, 08:24 AM
come to the Knicks....kidding, wow I really hope some of these western conference teams dont give in and rent Howard just to give him to Brooklyn in February..what a big baby davis

tcav701
07-12-2012, 08:39 AM
This has Pheonix written all over it.

keetyweedy
07-12-2012, 11:07 AM

Scola will NOT clear waivers

WhiteSoxGod
07-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Scola will NOT clear waivers

yeah he might end up in Dallas.

DreamShaker
07-12-2012, 11:54 AM
They really need to give up on Howard. This is getting stupid.

airforceones25
07-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Well its official! Terrible off season. lol

Avenged
07-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Already an updated thread on this...

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=740734