PDA

View Full Version : barkley responds to kobe

Unrequited
07-11-2012, 09:20 PM
http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/basketball/story/_/id/8158008/charles-barkley-says-1992-dream-team-beat-2012-olympic-team-double-digits

oh sh-t! who would win

Hellcrooner
07-11-2012, 09:21 PM
lol 1992 team would sweep them 4-0 with 4 blow outs.

C-Style
07-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Shots fired!

If this team was healthy they would win.

Unrequited
07-11-2012, 09:23 PM
our current team doesn't even have drose dwade and dwight . i think we have a really good chance of beating the '92 team.

bucketss
07-11-2012, 09:26 PM

no they wouldn't blow out my ***

Fla.SticKy
07-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Ahhhh................Michael Jordan!

JabberJaw
07-11-2012, 09:27 PM
It's hard to say. What the original dream team had to face was crap. They were the only real basketball team of all the countries. Nowadays the other countries have some serious squads. Today's team USA has to actually show up. I think it would be a lot more competitive than people might think. There's no clear cut advantage from either era that would distance them from the other.

StarvingKnick22
07-11-2012, 09:28 PM
the Dream Team has the 2 greatest PGs ever, 3 top 5 SFs ever The best PF ever,
2 top 5 centers ever, and this team has the best SF ever, second best SG ever, and a bunch of dream team wanna bes

Bigdaddyburch
07-11-2012, 09:28 PM
You are out of your mind. For one the 92 team could play D. They would get blown away.

Verbal Christ
07-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Lol. He said everyone on USA12 wouldn't have made the Dream Team. (Except Kobe/Durant/lebron)

Chuck just disrespected everyone on USA12 and most of PSD, and I like it! !

Avenged
07-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Suit up these oldies from the dream team to play the redeem team, lets see who would win! ;)

blystr2002
07-11-2012, 09:32 PM
The 92 team was historic and will always be more legendary. Who is to say that 5 to 8 of the current players wont be in the HOF when they retire to though and all but Kobe on this team is in there prime some of the 92 team like Bird barely even played bc they were coming down. The rest of the world sucked so bad back then so the blowouts aren't relevant. If the 2012 team could keep the pace up they win if the 92 team gets to Ewing and Robinson they pull away. It would be real close so all the ppl talking today like it isn't valid really thinking about it they just don't want to tarnish the memory of the 92 team. I will say the current team though

Lakersfan2483
07-11-2012, 09:33 PM

. The teams are closer than you think or want to believe. Kobe, Bron, Durant, Melo, CP3, etc.... are definitely formidable. The issue with this current team is their lack of size and with the 92 team they had Ewing, Robinson and Malone.

mdm692
07-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Are they playing with todays rules or the rules from 92.

Ezio
07-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Are they playing with todays rules or the rules from 92.

You forget Jordan said he could easily score 100 with today's rules.

mdm692
07-11-2012, 09:41 PM

No I didn't I'm just curious because it does matter. The mentality in which the original dream team plays defense would hurt them since they play more physical defense.

Bigdaddyburch
07-11-2012, 09:43 PM
. The teams are closer than you think or want to believe. Kobe, Bron, Durant, Melo, CP3, etc.... are definitely formidable. The issue with this current team is their lack of size and with the 92 team they had Ewing, Robinson and Malone.

You forget they played D back then. Melo LaBron? They dont know anything about D and Jordan would own Kobe. I believe it would get ugly.

Lakersfan2483
07-11-2012, 09:48 PM
You forget they played D back then. Melo LaBron? They dont know anything about D and Jordan would own Kobe. I believe it would get ugly.

Doubt that, too many people living in a fantasy land as if that team was untouchable. I would stack Kobe, Durant and Lebron against just about anyone, no matter the era. As for the comment about people not playing defense, that is a myth. If you study the game, defenses have become more complex and better in recent years. The hand check rule should comeback though, miss that.

BigBongTheory
07-11-2012, 09:51 PM
With Dwight, Rose, etc also on the team, it would be close.

FreakaNashur
07-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Kobe, durant n lebron wouldn't be enuff for the 92 dream team

Hellcrooner
07-11-2012, 10:01 PM
whos stopping a 6,9 pg to drive in?
whos stopping jordan?
inside? lol ewing and robinson could beat current centers with on arm tied to their backs.

there wouldnt be a better outside shooter than bird in the game?

lebron and kobe? lets see how they do against Mj and Pipp two hardnose defenders as ****.

Toastyy
07-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Barkley over exaggerates

JasonJohnHorn
07-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Barkley's right.

The Dream team wins the center match up, the PF match up, the SG match up and the PG match up. The SF goes to LBJ and Durant, but seriously...

Robinson and Ewing and Malone and Barkley in the front court? Drexler and Jordan are BOTH better than any guards on this years team, and I am including Bryant in that, and the PG match-up... Stockton and Magic are the greatest PGs to ever play the game.

It is true that Brid and Magic were both past their prime, but every other player on that roster was in their prime.

And Kobe also said he's the best post player on the current team... which says something about what the current team is lacking.

Dream Team 92 over USA team 2012

thephoenixson28
07-11-2012, 10:15 PM
whos stopping jordan?
inside? lol ewing and robinson could beat current centers with on arm tied to their backs.

lebron and kobe? lets see how they do against Mj and Pipp two hardnose defenders as ****.
Who is going to stop lebron. The man plays like Magic, but dunks like Jordan, and has the body of David Robinson.

Dwight Howard is a freak of nature.

Durant is 6"10 and could shoot from anywhere, and could take you off the dribble, and give you a facial.

People only can say they are legends cuz they did it first, but look how much the game has changed. You have PF in the game that would play center back then. You have 7 footers hitting 3s like nothing. There is so many people that want to be like mike, or magic, or bird. People pull out all there effort in doing so. If people can't see the difference in the game in which it advanced, people are blind. People get too caught up in stats, and championships. They don't realize how much it changed from back then.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-11-2012, 10:15 PM
2008 Redeem Team > 2012 USA Team.

Bigdaddyburch
07-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Doubt that, too many people living in a fantasy land as if that team was untouchable. I would stack Kobe, Durant and Lebron against just about anyone, no matter the era. As for the comment about people not playing defense, that is a myth. If you study the game, defenses have become more complex and better in recent years. The hand check rule should comeback though, miss that.

I am actually old enough to have seen all these players play and then some. You have Magic. A 6-9 PG who is the only player ever to start all 5 positions in a 7 game series.A guy who outside Wilt and Jordan would be one of my top 3-5 player ever.(unless you have seen him dont comment) Jordan who is quite a bit better than Kobe could ever hope to be. Not only would Jordan shut Kobe down but he would take out any other guy he went up against. There is not a single guy even close to him today or ever really. Pip, Malone, Ewing, Drexler, Robinson. No way sorry no way these guys today can beat them. I am not even counting Bird, Mullen, Stockton, and Laettner, although Mullen was no slouch and Stockton was one of the greatest PGs in his own right. There is just no way. What I see are some young guys who only know of the game today looking up to their current stars and saying "how can these guys today not be the best ever because they are so good" and I am telling you they had a team mentality that would crush todays players.

akia83
07-11-2012, 10:20 PM
2 top 5 centers ever, and this team has the best SF ever, second best SG ever, and a bunch of dream team wanna bes

2 top 5 centers ever?
So you think 2 of the following list don't belong to the the top 5 center ever, KAJ, Chamberlain, O'neal, Olajuwon and Russell ?

best PF? :facepalm:

And they might have the 2 greatest PG ever (big O say hello), but 1992's Magic was far from being as good as 2012's Paul.

Bird wasn't in his prime too.

Hellcrooner
07-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Who is going to stop lebron. The man plays like Magic, but dunks like Jordan, and has the body of David Robinson.

Durant is 6"10 and could shoot from anywhere, and could take you off the dribble, and give you a facial.

People only can say they are legends cuz they did it first, but look how much the game has changed. You have PF in the game that would play center back then. You have 7 footers hitting 3s like nothing. There is so many people that want to be like mike, or magic, or bird. People pull out all there effort in doing so. If people can't see the difference in the game in which it advanced, people are blind. People get too caught up in stats, and championships. They don't realize how much it changed from back then.

dwight and duncan are NOT in the 2012 team.

Bigdaddyburch
07-11-2012, 10:25 PM

No waht you have today is selfish me first pay me more mentality. Back then you had team work. Robinson could hit threes. He could play though D as well. Malone, Barkley, Pip all played D and could put up 30 or more any night. I think you get caught up in the game today because its fresh in your mind. The game IMO has not advanced and I would bet The record win breaking Bulls team would crush any NBA team today. Hell showtime might as well. Those were teams.

jayjay33
07-11-2012, 10:27 PM

THIS IS WHY JORDAN IS OVERRATED. :facepalm:

smiddy012
07-11-2012, 10:33 PM

It's certainly possible. I wouldn't go as far as saying "easily" though.

Bigdaddyburch
07-11-2012, 10:36 PM

Overrated?? Really? Did you see him play? Were you old enough to see how much greater he was than the rest of the league? Overrated. pfft what a joke.

StarvingKnick22
07-11-2012, 10:36 PM
2 top 5 centers ever?
So you think 2 of the following list don't belong to the the top 5 center ever, KAJ, Chamberlain, O'neal, Olajuwon and Russell ?

best PF? :facepalm:

And they might have the 2 greatest PG ever (big O say hello), but 1992's Magic was far from being as good as 2012's Paul.

Bird wasn't in his prime too.

when were you born? Karl Malone is arguably the best PF ever. And O'Neal was on the dream team. So chill out new guy lol

Sadds The Gr8
07-11-2012, 10:38 PM
The Chuckster is right.

Aust
07-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Cmon Barkley, show some respect with that 34, 35 crap

dhopisthename
07-11-2012, 10:42 PM
when were you born? Karl Malone is arguably the best PF ever. And O'Neal was on the dream team. So chill out new guy lol

oneal wasn't on the dream team

Bruno
07-11-2012, 10:44 PM
The 1992 team was legendary. but Magic and Bird were on their last legs. It really was the team of the 90's, plus Magic, Bird, and Laettner. They had trouble stopping quick guards. A back-court of Paul, Rose and Westbrook would have given them fits, but right now Rose is injured and Chris Paul missed the first practices.

Wade, Howard, and Bosh aren't on the team, along with Rose

Kobe is a month away from 34. This team is really about what LeBron, Durant, Kobe and Paul can get the rest of the guys to do. Melo will be difficult to defend, and so will Blake, but it will be able them playing as a team, and that's really in the hands of 4-5 players who see most of of the touches. Kevin Love will be huge on the glass, and Chandler will be great on defense; it's be great if Loves and Chandlers expertise's could be combined here, team USA would have no need for other centers.

I think 2008 might be better than the 2012 team, but we won't know 'till we watch. I think 2012 would need Rose, Howard, Wade and Bosh in order to beat the dream team, even if Magic and Bird were on their last legs, considering the core of MJ-Barkley-Pipeen-Robinson/Ewing-Malone/Stockton.

We should wait and see if the 2012 squad is better than the 2008 squad before we ask if it's better than the Dream Team. People need to answer Redeem Team 2008 and Dream Team 1992 first.

PrettyBoyJ
07-11-2012, 10:46 PM
92 team wins.. If they force this team to play half court then game over..

piratepete
07-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Other than Kobe, LeBron and Kevin Durant, I don't think anybody else on that team makes our team so true barkley for once today nba players are overated and over paid

thephoenixson28
07-11-2012, 10:51 PM
dwight and duncan are NOT in the 2012 team.

Never said Duncan, and Howard is not on the team due to injury.

thephoenixson28
07-11-2012, 10:56 PM
No waht you have today is selfish me first pay me more mentality. Back then you had team work. Robinson could hit threes. He could play though D as well. Malone, Barkley, Pip all played D and could put up 30 or more any night. I think you get caught up in the game today because its fresh in your mind. The game IMO has not advanced and I would bet The record win breaking Bulls team would crush any NBA team today. Hell showtime might as well. Those were teams.

Just want to give one example, he is not on the USA team but who would be able to stop Dirk if he played in the Jordan era. Dwight Howard is built like Robinson, but is more durable, and can jump out of the gym.

THE MTL
07-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Not the current Team USA, but the Redeem Team from 2008 Olympics I would take over Dream Team.

The Redeem Team was built on pure chemistry. The Dream Team was built on big names.

blahblahyoutoo
07-11-2012, 11:00 PM
It's hard to say. What the original dream team had to face was crap. They were the only real basketball team of all the countries. Nowadays the other countries have some serious squads. Today's team USA has to actually show up. I think it would be a lot more competitive than people might think. There's no clear cut advantage from either era that would distance them from the other.

why are you even mentioning international competition?
this is USA 1992 vs USA 2012. not against spain or argentina.

blahblahyoutoo
07-11-2012, 11:04 PM

you lost me at 'no offense outside of 2 feet' dwight.
robinson and ewing would annihilate him.

piratepete
07-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Charles Barkley mush better than love
Larry Bird one his last legs is still better than most players today
Clyde Drexler westbrook would want to go their
Patrick Ewing i dont think howard or chandler could handle him and hes not even playing
Magic Johnson chriss paul could handle magic
Michael Jordan no lebron and aim a heat fan or durant or kobe on his last leg no one could handle him
Christian Laettner maybe derk but hes on german team
Karl Malone tell me who could handle malone durant hes to skinny maybe howard if he was their
Chris Mullin James Harden will see a real 3 point shooter and shake his head
Scottie Pippen blake griffin would get school and plug up maybe 10 point game bye him
David Robinson Andre Iguodala could handle so many movies and size
John Stockton deron willams what did he do last year

ink
07-11-2012, 11:13 PM
92 Dream Team would kill today's pampered softies.

And Barkley's right about who would and wouldn't make the original Dream Team.

StarvingKnick22
07-11-2012, 11:16 PM
oneal wasn't on the dream team

lol I didn't think so too. Damn you wiki! But you get the point I was making

popo85
07-11-2012, 11:18 PM
C-Late would crap on this 2012 team

MintBerryCrunch
07-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Sorry old-timers, but the athleticism of the current team would be the downfall of the '92 squad.

Do you seriously believe old *** magic and bird would be able to keep up with CP3 and 'Melo in a game full of fast breaks? C'mon now.

heyman321
07-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Sorry old-timers, but the athleticism of the current team would be the downfall of the '92 squad.

Do you seriously believe old *** magic and bird would be able to keep up with CP3 and 'Melo in a game full of fast breaks? C'mon now.

Dude, Magic Johnson's middle name is fast break.

MadBomber
07-12-2012, 12:10 AM

+1...no doubt! They don't call the Lakers "Showtime" fo no reason back in the golden era of basketball.

MintBerryCrunch
07-12-2012, 12:15 AM

Are you kidding me ?! Post-HIV Magic was overweight, slow, And he couldn't guard anybody.

HesterJordan23
07-12-2012, 12:26 AM
mintberry i believed u smoked to much mintberry

John Walls Era
07-12-2012, 12:29 AM

No. This team has more players in their prime. But the 92 team was meaner and had a MJ in his prime.

grayski
07-12-2012, 12:31 AM
The '92 team would beat down this squad! Put Bird and Magic on the bench because of age. Here a BIG line up.

PG- Scottie Pippen- 27 years old, could defend anyone!
SG- Michael Jeffery Jordan- 29 years old The BEST EVER!!!
SF- Charles Barkley 29- A absolute BEAST! He won the MVP the next year.
PF- Karl Malone- 2nd leading scorer EVER!
C- David Robinson - 7'0" of pure chiseled basketball athlete!

With Clyde "The Glide" Aka Westcoast Jordanlike
Chris Mullen, deadly from anywhere on the court.
Patrick Ewing, The best jump shooting big man of all time.
John Stockton, Mr. Assist- a better Steve Nash before Steve Nash.
All coming off the bench. The 2012 team is nice but just couldn't match up with this.:badidea:

Showtime Steve
07-12-2012, 12:41 AM
The european basketball scene is way more difficult now than it was then. the new team learned 90% of their stuff from guys on the team. The big guys would punish our smaller new team. Magic not in prime, bird not in prime. Of course kobe defends his squad. And you knew chuck probably choked on his hamburger tryna be the first to respond. They had to defend themselves. But 7 game series? New squad 4-2.

Losoway
07-12-2012, 12:44 AM
LMAO HE SAID ONLY KOBE , LEBRON AND DURANT WOULD HAVE MADE THE TEAM

but idk kyrie irving had this usa team on skates

noodle
07-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Too many young jagoffs, that didn't even know how good all those dudes were in '92. This shouldn't even be up or debate.

numba1CHANGsta
07-12-2012, 01:12 AM
wasnt the 2008 team better than this 2012 team?

LAKERS4LIFE!!
07-12-2012, 01:20 AM
wasnt the 2008 team better than this 2012 team?

Yes, with Derrick Rose, DWade, Dwight Howard, and a PRIME Kobe Bryant.

LAKERS4LIFE!!
07-12-2012, 01:23 AM

Please tell me who is in your Top 5 centers of all time?
IMO Tim Duncan is better than Malone too.

Lakersfan2483
07-12-2012, 01:28 AM
The game would be much closer than people want to admit, especially if this current group had D. Rose, Wade and Howard on the team. As for the current group that they do have, they would have trouble on the inside because this '12' team lacks size, however the 92 wouldn't just blow them out. Too many good players on this current team to let that happen.

What people don't mention was that the 92 team had trouble guarding quick guards and that Bird and Magic were clearly on the downside of their careers. Having said that, the 92 team was better than this 12 team because of their size, but I would have loved to have seen the 08 team and or a healthier version of the 12 team battle against the 92 team. Good competition.

Lakersfan2483
07-12-2012, 01:34 AM
The 1992 team was legendary. but Magic and Bird were on their last legs. It really was the team of the 90's, plus Magic, Bird, and Laettner. They had trouble stopping quick guards. A back-court of Paul, Rose and Westbrook would have given them fits, but right now Rose is injured and Chris Paul missed the first practices.

Wade, Howard, and Bosh aren't on the team, along with Rose

Kobe is a month away from 34. This team is really about what LeBron, Durant, Kobe and Paul can get the rest of the guys to do. Melo will be difficult to defend, and so will Blake, but it will be able them playing as a team, and that's really in the hands of 4-5 players who see most of of the touches. Kevin Love will be huge on the glass, and Chandler will be great on defense; it's be great if Loves and Chandlers expertise's could be combined here, team USA would have no need for other centers.

I think 2008 might be better than the 2012 team, but we won't know 'till we watch. I think 2012 would need Rose, Howard, Wade and Bosh in order to beat the dream team, even if Magic and Bird were on their last legs, considering the core of MJ-Barkley-Pipeen-Robinson/Ewing-Malone/Stockton.

We should wait and see if the 2012 squad is better than the 2008 squad before we ask if it's better than the Dream Team. People need to answer Redeem Team 2008 and Dream Team 1992 first.

This.

Fayzon10
07-12-2012, 01:50 AM
Wow, that's tough I do think the 2012 team is a lot quicker than the 92 team other than Jordan and Pippen I don't think any of the 92 team could keep up with the 2012 team. If Bobby Hurley broke the 92 team down what do you think Paul, Williams, and Westbrook would do?

Hellcrooner
07-12-2012, 02:20 AM
Just want to give one example, he is not on the USA team but who would be able to stop Dirk if he played in the Jordan era. Dwight Howard is built like Robinson, but is more durable, and can jump out of the gym.

half that eras power forwards.
hand checking rules man.
Dirk ( or pau for instance) in that era would have been just like schrempf and smits respectively.

naps
07-12-2012, 02:40 AM
Again 1992 team would win but not by blowouts. People underestimate size. Who are the bigmen on this team who could sniff a chance against a rotation of Robinson-Ewing-Malone-Barkley? And not to mention any team with Jordan in it would always have the upper hand chance as long as the talent gap is not too big.

bosox_mattyice3
07-12-2012, 03:10 AM
Idk about this team, but a healthy 2012 team would put up a good fight. You're an *** clown if you don't think so as well.

2012 Team Healthy

PG- Rose, Paul, Williams
SG- Bryant, Westbrook, Wade
SF- James, Anthony, Love
PF- Durant, Duncan, Bosh
C- Howard, Chandler

Idk how you can't compare the two. People need to seriously stop living in the past and try saying nothing is ever comparable to something. Barkley is right about this current team, but with a healthy roster, give me 2012.

naps
07-12-2012, 03:29 AM
Idk about this team, but a healthy 2012 team would put up a good fight. You're an *** clown if you don't think so as well.

2012 Team Healthy

PG- Rose, Paul, Williams
SG- Bryant, Westbrook, Wade
SF- James, Anthony, Love
PF- Durant, Duncan, Bosh
C- Howard, Chandler

Idk how you can't compare the two. People need to seriously stop living in the past and try saying nothing is ever comparable to something. Barkley is right about this current team, but with a healthy roster, give me 2012.

So you are calling out people and telling them not to live on the past? Why don't you make a complete analysis of that 1992 team? This teams front-line would get spanked around by 1992 team and this team has none to slow down 1992 Jordan (that is a prime Jordan), may be James but he would already have his hands full defending Magic, SF, and PF.

BrandoCommando
07-12-2012, 03:33 AM
Michael Jordan.

bosox_mattyice3
07-12-2012, 03:45 AM
So you are calling out people and telling them not to live on the past? Why don't you make a complete analysis of that 1992 team? This teams front-line would get spanked around by 1992 team and this team has none to slow down 1992 Jordan (that is a prime Jordan), may be James but he would already have his hands full defending Magic, SF, and PF.

No, I'm saying people think it's impossible to compare anything to this 1992 Dream Team and it will forever be the greatest team assembled. And yes you're right about the front line getting blasted, but these two teams would play a different type of game. Face it, this generation is more athletic than the 1992 team and would run on them. Not all over them, but would make it difficult for them to keep up. And please, Magic was out of his prime by then and so was Bird. Jordan obviously is the greatest on the floor.

And if you're talking about defensive matchups, who the hell is gaurding these athletic freaks now. Outside Dwight, that starting line-up can take it to the hole and shoot from the outside.

smiddy012
07-12-2012, 03:45 AM

Yeah CP3 and Melo come to mind when you think athletic players of today :facepalm:

What a terrible, terrible argument. "The Dream team wouldn't be able to keep up with CP3 or Melo" Seriously? How old are you? 12?

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 03:52 AM
Magic
Jordan
Pippen
Robinson
Ewing

lol, imagine if the dream ream decided to play big, even Robinson Ewing & Malone all at once. with michael blowing by anyone guarding him, & Magic posting up theit tiny pgs. lol. it could get real embarrassing for 2012s teams. they're lucky backwards time travel isn't impossible

and the dream team were far from old timers in 1992, all in their prime, only Bird was close to old & he was only 35(KB 34 this usa team) but Bird still played great then

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 04:03 AM
Magic couldn't keep up in fast breaks? hahaha omg that's funny. Magic was the master of fast breaks

sp1derm00
07-12-2012, 04:05 AM
whos stopping jordan?

I actually think the lineup that would murder the Dream Team is:

Kyrie Irving at PG
Durant at SG
Lebron at SF
Klove at PF
Chandler at C

Lebron would D up MJ, and Durant would D up Bird/Pippen. Let's face it, Irving and Magic wouldn't be able to guard each other.

So, put the ball in Lebron's hands and watch him work with this line up. Irving is an AMAZING shooter. Durant is absolutely dangerous from range even with a defender in his face. Klove is one of the best shooters at PF. The spacing would be ridiculous.

Chandler would finish anything Lebron threw up for him to get. He can D up Robinson/Ewing, but he might only score on lobs.

There would have to be man coverage all through the game or the 2012 team would have a wide open, high percentage 3.

Meanwhile, the spacing wouldn't be as good for the 92' dream team. Everything would be a little more clogged. The only dangerous shooter is Bird.

The point is, a well built team would beat a team of Superstars just mashed together simply because they're the best. Most of the players on the Dream Team are better than their 2012 counterparts, but I think that with the right line up, the 2012 team could demolish the Dream Team.

JordanPippen
07-12-2012, 04:09 AM
Dream team without a doubt. Can't knock the current roster for believing they can though

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 04:12 AM
and Magic was not on his last legs then, not by a long shot, he was still in his prime & should have played the 92 season, & had some players not have been scared to play with him he would have played. he did play the preseason & allstar game, & was in absolute prime condition for the dream team. he was just 32 then

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 04:20 AM

Kyrie Irving at PG
Durant at SG
Lebron at SF
Klove at PF
Chandler at C

Lebron would D up MJ, and Durant would D up Bird/Pippen. Let's face it, Irving and Magic wouldn't be able to guard each other.

So, put the ball in Lebron's hands and watch him work with this line up. Irving is an AMAZING shooter. Durant is absolutely dangerous from range even with a defender in his face. Klove is one of the best shooters at PF. The spacing would be ridiculous.

Chandler would finish anything Lebron threw up for him to get. He can D up Robinson/Ewing, but he might only score on lobs.

There would have to be man coverage all through the game or the 2012 team would have a wide open, high percentage 3.

Meanwhile, the spacing wouldn't be as good for the 92' dream team. Everything would be a little more clogged. The only dangerous shooter is Bird.

The point is, a well built team would beat a team of Superstars just mashed together simply because they're the best. Most of the players on the Dream Team are better than their 2012 counterparts, but I think that with the right line up, the 2012 team could demolish the Dream Team.
not just Bird could hit that short olympic 3, mullin, michael & scottie could easily drain those short 3s. dream team would embarrass 2012s club. 08 would have a slightly better chance, maybe they'd get lucky & lose by 8 or 9. but this team is far too small, & Michael would have a feild day, as would the centers, pfs, & Magic

thenaj17
07-12-2012, 04:35 AM

If my Auntie had bollocks, she'd be my uncle...just saying

Jordan is talking rubbish.

hidalgo
07-12-2012, 04:56 AM
no, Jordan really could score 100 today. he probably could have back then in the toughest defensive era, but didn't wanna hot dog for the sake of it. it's lame to go for x amount of points in a TEAM game. Michael didn't care about it

Bullsfan22
07-12-2012, 05:33 AM
LeBron/Rose
Wade
Kobe/KD (when Kobe ruins the Offensive flow from trying to hard)
Duncan
Howard

The only way the dream team beat that roster is if MJ is truly sent down from heaven to dominate the game of basketball. With that being said I believe that Jordan is the second coming. I don't see myself betting against a prime MJ.

If EVERYTHING was on the line would you bet against a guy that has been called a God on the court by Magic effing Johnson? Would Joe Montana call Tom Brady that?

I'm only 23, I didn't get to see MJ in his prime and honestly claim that I knew the game of basketball at 8 years old give or take. If you're younger than me and don't have the luxury of watching film I encourage you to talk to an older gentleman (30+). Most teenagers couldn't even began to quantify how good MJ was.

KniCks4LiFe
07-12-2012, 05:47 AM
92' would sweep them. Lets not even compare these teams.

Did people forget how good a shooter Malone, Clyde the glide, Robinson, Ewing, who's grabbing boards over Ewing and Robinson? Pippen would make Lebron and Durant cry at the shots they'd have to force.

Pippen and Jordan's backcourt D. This wasn't sissy ball back then. There are really only 3 guys that make the dream team out of this crop. Kobe Durant, LeBron and maybe maaaaaaybe Wade and Westbrook. These 2 were to play back in those days they'd be like JR Rider.

Irving's dribble is nice, but gmafb, there were plenty of dribblers back then just that it was against the rules. For every Irving there's a Skip-to-my-lou. Ain't nobody checking Jordan in his prime.

Fundamentally and psychologically that Dream Team would bust that ***.

MadBomber
07-12-2012, 06:31 AM
92' would sweep them. Lets not even compare these teams.

Did people forget how good a shooter Malone, Clyde the glide, Robinson, Ewing, who's grabbing boards over Ewing and Robinson? Pippen would make Lebron and Durant cry at the shots they'd have to force.

Pippen and Jordan's backcourt D. This wasn't sissy ball back then. There are really only 3 guys that make the dream team out of this crop. Kobe Durant, LeBron and maybe maaaaaaybe Wade and Westbrook. These 2 were to play back in those days they'd be like JR Rider.

Irving's dribble is nice, but gmafb, there were plenty of dribblers back then just that it was against the rules. For every Irving there's a Skip-to-my-lou. Ain't nobody checking Jordan in his prime.

Fundamentally and psychologically that Dream Team would bust that ***.

word up!

Hindy27
07-12-2012, 07:24 AM
2012 team would have no bigs left by halftime, they're too small, and quite frankly, out of their depth.
'92 would pump the ball down low at every opportunity, who's stopping Ewing, Robinson, Malone and Chuck in the post? hell, even the old Magic and Bird could school the 2012 team on post moves.
Saying Chandler, Bosh, Love and Griffin could stop them is laughable. There'd be more whistles than a construction site with naked women walking past.

Then LBJ can use all his superior athletic ability to play centre.:p

As for guarding LBJ and Kobe, well Pippen and Jordan were 2 of the best wing defenders ever. So the 2012 team wouldn't just be slashing through the lanes with the ease at which some assume.

theheatles
07-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Barkley wouldn't be able to do ****, there's a reason why a 6'5 PF thrived back then

effen5
07-12-2012, 09:33 AM
The big men of 92 would be way too much for this team, and don't tell me Dwight or chandler could stop Robinson or Ewing. The only reason chandler and d12 looks so dominant now is because of the lack of actual offensive centers in this era while in the 92 era had a plethora of amazing centers. I think people forget how amazing Robinson was. Does anyone remember that he actually score 71 in a game? I don't think Tyson and d12 could do that together in a game.

Oh and that guy Michael Jordan.

kdspurman
07-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Barkley wouldn't be able to do ****, there's a reason why a 6'5 PF thrived back then

Against who? Blake Griffin? Kevin Love?

YashBoone
07-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Lol. He said everyone on USA12 wouldn't have made the Dream Team. (Except Kobe/Durant/lebron)

Chuck just disrespected everyone on USA12 and most of PSD, and I like it! !

Is he wrong? The dream team had players at very position that hold records and accolades at their respective positions that the guys now are trying to catch.... Not to mention just about the whole dream team is in hof and members of the top 50 players of all time.....

John Stockton>Chris Paul..... Just saying....

torocan
07-12-2012, 09:50 AM

Kyrie Irving at PG
Durant at SG
Lebron at SF
Klove at PF
Chandler at C

Gotta disagree. Jordan was unguardable, whether it's Lebron or anyone else. So is Lebron.

That said, I think the 1992 team wins for one simple reason. The 1992 team has a MASSIVE size advantage. Not a few bigs, but almost an entire team of Bigs.

The 1992 team turns the 2012 team into a jump shooting team. Sure, Lebron can get to the basket now and then, but everyone else will get the crap blocked out of them.

And fast breaks are ALOT harder to pull off when you get out-rebounded non-stop. Don't get me wrong, Chandler and Lebron can rebound... but you're talking some of the greatest rebounding bigs in history.

1992 wins... not by a blow out, but they do win.

blacknell
07-12-2012, 09:57 AM
the 1992 team had real centers and Howard is not better than Ewing was in his prime.
Magic- the best point guard in NBA history
MJ- best player in NBA history
SF-Larry Legend or Clyde the glide
PF-Malone or barkley two of the best all time
C-Ewing

Lebron would be the only threat and Jordan would butt rape Kobe... Todays players are to soft to battle with the old school

bbiq
07-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Are you guys serious
2012 would be destroyed on the court playing against the original dream team ,and if they play by forays rules or not. Just too much talent way too much ,that's why it looked like they were not playing anyone , Jordan,magic,bird,dream,admiral,barkley,pippen,sto ckton,Malone,mchale,drexler,Are you kidding me all hall of famers ,tell me what you smoking

kdspurman
07-12-2012, 10:02 AM
the 1992 team had real centers and Howard is not better than Ewing was in his prime.
Magic- the best point guard in NBA history
MJ- best player in NBA history
SF-Larry Legend or Clyde the glide
PF-Malone or barkley two of the best all time
C-Ewing

Lebron would be the only threat and Jordan would butt rape Kobe... Todays players are to soft to battle with the old school

And you left out guys like Pippen, Robinson, Stockton...

D1JM
07-12-2012, 10:06 AM

:facepalm: Howard wouldn't even be a top 5 big man in the 90's and arguably a top 10.

BigCityofDreams
07-12-2012, 10:09 AM
no, Jordan really could score 100 today. he probably could have back then in the toughest defensive era, but didn't wanna hot dog for the sake of it. it's lame to go for x amount of points in a TEAM game. Michael didn't care about it

No way could he score a 100 today. It wouldn't happen.

kdspurman
07-12-2012, 10:14 AM
No way could he score a 100 today. It wouldn't happen.

Kobe scored 81, I don't see why not. :shrug:

effen5
07-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Jordan scored 60s in some of the hardest eras to play in. He could hit 100 easily. Some people forget how unstoppable he was in the post, literally unguardable. Oh and he dropped a couple of 50s when he was 40. Prime Jordan could have definitely hit a 100

LakersIn5
07-12-2012, 10:21 AM
any team could beat another team

buddy2303
07-12-2012, 10:41 AM
honestly whats sad is that....20 years later the 2012 team would have trouble beating the dream team...so in 20 years how far has usa basketball progressed...i dont look at if the 12 team or the 08 team could beat the dream team....instead i appreciate how great that team was that 20 years in the future usa basketball is still having trouble getting over the dream team greatness

RaiderLakersA's
07-12-2012, 10:53 AM
I was wondering when Barkley would reply. I love this! And his shot at the rest of the 2012 team -- only Kobe, Durant and LeBron would make the Dream Team -- must make Melo and the others feel like burned toast. Hilarious!

Rockwilderz
07-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Forget the 1992 - That team is Untouchable (having Jordan with all those players? no way you can beat that team.)

Let's pick a team without Jordan... 1996 DREAM TEAM III - I don't think this years dream team even has a chance of beating the '96 team.

Storch
07-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Touch fouls won't be called if you play the dream team kobe. :P

sp1derm00
07-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Gotta disagree. Jordan was unguardable, whether it's Lebron or anyone else. So is Lebron.

That said, I think the 1992 team wins for one simple reason. The 1992 team has a MASSIVE size advantage. Not a few bigs, but almost an entire team of Bigs.

The 1992 team turns the 2012 team into a jump shooting team. Sure, Lebron can get to the basket now and then, but everyone else will get the crap blocked out of them.

And fast breaks are ALOT harder to pull off when you get out-rebounded non-stop. Don't get me wrong, Chandler and Lebron can rebound... but you're talking some of the greatest rebounding bigs in history.

1992 wins... not by a blow out, but they do win.

Don't forget about Kevin Love, one of the best rebounding PF's ever.

That's also what I'm saying. The 2012 Team would be a jump shooting, fast break team with a LOT of spacing. Meanwhile the Dream Team would likely be a slashing/post up team that could get doubled in situations.

Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving, and Durant might be shooting close to 45% from FIBA range 3's.

Meanwhile, Larry Bird would be the Dream Team's best shooter, shot 37% in his career from a 22 foot 3-point line. Today's players shoot from a 23 foot 9 inch 3-point line.

The FIBA 3-point line is 22 feet 2 inches. 2 inches longer than the NBA three from Larry's era, and 1 foot, 7 inches shorter than the current NBA line.

The guys on the 2012 team are flat out, better shooters. That's what makes shooting such an important aspect in international basketball these days.

If you're hitting 3's at a 40-45% clip, you're scoring 1.2-1.35 points per FGA.
If you're hitting 2's at a 60-65% clip, you're scoring at 1.2-1.3 points per FGA.

Kyrie Irving: 40% from 3 in NBA, 46% from NCAA.
Kevin Durant: 36.4% from NBA 3, 40.4% from NCAA.
Kevin Love: 37.2% from NBA, 35% from NCAA.

I have little doubt that with a shortened 3 point line, these 3 players would be hitting their shots consistently at 40-45% from 3.

THEN, you make Lebron the primary facilitator, one of the best perimeter players at finishing inside the paint. Take into consideration that Lebron and Tyson Chandler finish at the rim 75% of the time (hoopdata.com).

Lebron would also be able to kick it out to 40-45% 3 point shooters.

KingPosey
07-12-2012, 11:58 AM

NOT ON THE TEAM. No one is stopping LBJ, but Pipp would make that mother ****er work for EVERY basket. And that team isnt letting LBJ dunk all over them. He hits the ground hard.

KingPosey
07-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Forget the 1992 - That team is Untouchable (having Jordan with all those players? no way you can beat that team.)

Let's pick a team without Jordan... 1996 DREAM TEAM III - I don't think this years dream team even has a chance of beating the '96 team.

Youre right, Mitch Richmond would light the 2012 team the **** up.

KingPosey
07-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Don't forget about Kevin Love, one of the best rebounding PF's ever.

That's also what I'm saying. The 2012 Team would be a jump shooting, fast break team with a LOT of spacing. Meanwhile the Dream Team would likely be a slashing/post up team that could get doubled in situations.

Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving, and Durant might be shooting close to 45% from FIBA range 3's.

Meanwhile, Larry Bird would be the Dream Team's best shooter, shot 37% in his career from a 22 foot 3-point line. Today's players shoot from a 23 foot 9 inch 3-point line.

The FIBA 3-point line is 22 feet 2 inches. 2 inches longer than the NBA three from Larry's era, and 1 foot, 7 inches shorter than the current NBA line.

The guys on the 2012 team are flat out, better shooters. That's what makes shooting such an important aspect in international basketball these days.

If you're hitting 3's at a 40-45% clip, you're scoring 1.2-1.35 points per FGA.
If you're hitting 2's at a 60-65% clip, you're scoring at 1.2-1.3 points per FGA.

Kyrie Irving: 40% from 3 in NBA, 46% from NCAA.
Kevin Durant: 36.4% from NBA 3, 40.4% from NCAA.
Kevin Love: 37.2% from NBA, 35% from NCAA.

I have little doubt that with a shortened 3 point line, these 3 players would be hitting their shots consistently at 40-45% from 3.

THEN, you make Lebron the primary facilitator, one of the best perimeter players at finishing inside the paint. Take into consideration that Lebron and Tyson Chandler finish at the rim 75% of the time (hoopdata.com).

Lebron would also be able to kick it out to 40-45% 3 point shooters.

Best rebounding PFs ever, but he will be playing center. That wont help, against 2 of the greatest players ever.

And so many of your stats are assumed and out of context, there's no real argument there.

Kyrie? Youre talking about a rookie coming in and dominating the DREAM TEAM? come on man....

All the stat on Chandler finishing at the rim means, is he gets a lot of put back dunks. Nothing more.

dh144498
07-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Kobe scored 81, I don't see why not. :shrug:

Jordan's no Kobe.

dh144498
07-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Jordan scored 60s in some of the hardest eras to play in. He could hit 100 easily. Some people forget how unstoppable he was in the post, literally unguardable. Oh and he dropped a couple of 50s when he was 40. Prime Jordan could have definitely hit a 100

90's is the weakest era.

effen5
07-12-2012, 12:14 PM
90's is the weakest era.

care to explain?

rhino17
07-12-2012, 12:20 PM
The current team would get absolutely dominated in the post, it would not close in any way

StinkEye
07-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Robinson would make Dwight his *****. How would any big man have a chance against the '92 guys?

Don't forget that Barkley was at his peak as a player in '92-'93. He was the best player on the planet. He'd give anybody a tough time. Imagine Durant, or LeBron, or any USA big trying to deal with him.

mizzacNYC
07-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Gonna quote myself from similar thread... Its more relevant in this thread b/c I have Barkley Highlight Link in quote enjoy...

1992 Michael Jordan would beat them by his self...

Magic at the PG with all those targets "C'Mon Son"

Every player except Stockton on Dream Team has a serious post game (slow ball to neutralize 2012's uptempo style)...

I'd put Pippen on Lebron, and Jordan on Kobe with David Robinson, Malone and Ewing behind them... Guarantee they'll have nightmares about that defense... Durant may get off tho?

Chandler would foul out early defending a constant attack on the blocks by Ewing, Malone, and Robinson... Who's gonna stick Barkley? The only person that can is Lebron and he'll be needed elsewhere on the court...

Maybe 2012 has better 3pt shooters overall, but Mullins, Bird & Stockton could hold the fort down just find with the inside out game which would kill 2012...

All that talk about the Dream Team being old is false, these ppl are not doing the Math the entire team except Magic (Sick) and Bird (older with the bad back) were in great shape and at the prime of their careers. In fact despite Magic's Illness he was still the 1992 NBA All-Star MVP and Bird was still putting up solid numbers bad back and all...

Jordan 29 yrs old "PRIME"
Pippen 27
Barkley 29
Ewing 30
Drexler 30
Robinson 27
Magic 33
Bird 36
Malone 29
Stockton 30
Mullins 30
Laettner 23

You must just be a yung'n so I'll give you a pass this time, As far as that generations change athletically comment, absolute hogwash!!! Jordan is the best Athletic on the court hands down, then Lebron... Also Barkley was just as much a speeding load as Lebron is now, Lebron got more ups though but Barkley could still throw it down on anyone at any time with two HARD!!!
(Pause)... As a matter a fact see for yourself;

Barkley Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWK66X6FtXk

I know you young guys have no idea about Barkley's game so watch the link, he may be a overweight simple minded bump on the lodge commentator now, but in the late 80's and 90's he was a MONSTER on the court...!!!

kdspurman
07-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Jordan's no Kobe.

That hurt my eyes reading that.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/6/67064/2107675-not_sure_if_serious_2_super.jpg

sp1derm00
07-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Best rebounding PFs ever, but he will be playing center. That wont help, against 2 of the greatest players ever.

And so many of your stats are assumed and out of context, there's no real argument there.

Kyrie? Youre talking about a rookie coming in and dominating the DREAM TEAM? come on man....

All the stat on Chandler finishing at the rim means, is he gets a lot of put back dunks. Nothing more.

I would run Chandler as starting C and Klove as starting PF.

Kyrie has been able to perform on an elite level even in his rookie season. By all reports, he's been dominating Team USA scrimmages.

I know Chandler mainly finishes 75% at the rim because of putback and lobs, but damn dude, that's a high percentage and he's gonna be getting a lot of those.

Mr Wonderful
07-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Why do some of you young dudes ask about which rules they'd use? Olympic rules, of course. Stop talking if you really don't know about the Dream Team, the current Olympic team would get waxed.

cssdmark
07-12-2012, 12:39 PM
92 Team wins by double digits. Real dream team had a better front court, no comparison at all. Some say the USA basketball team has more athleticism if so not by much. 92 team had Jordan, Pippen who were two of the best defensive players in the game and Clyder Drexler was not an athletic slouch. 2nd, mentally there would be no comparison from team USA and the 92 dream team. 92 team mentally would crush the USA team. Lebron and Durant are arguably the best two players on the USA team. You see what happened to Durant in the finals and Lebron just got over the hump. Kobe at 34 against Michael at 29 no comparison. Kobe could not use the post game he has now because the 92 team was so stacked on the inside Robinson, Ewing, Malone and Barkley he would not survive inside, Lebron would not be able to use his post game either. USA team does not have anyone to draw the big men from the 92 team out to the perimeter as Tyson Chandler has not outside game and no post game. Jordan, Pippen and Drexler can easily guard the perimeter. The difference is the inside presence and the mental capability of the real dream team. No one on team Usa could guard Patrick Ewing because he had a low post game and he could shoot. Patrick Ewing or David Robinson would have no problem inside guarding Tyson Chandler on the inside. I think people look at this as Michael vs Kobe or Lebron and it is not. Team USA just does not have enough inside to deal with team USA. Like they said now the previous USA team with Bosch and Howard and now we are talking.

dh144498
07-12-2012, 12:44 PM
That hurt my eyes reading that.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/6/67064/2107675-not_sure_if_serious_2_super.jpg

I don't actually believe Kobe is better than Jordan. But seeing all the posts like "Jordan would score 100 in this era...EASILY" or "Jordan would avg 50 ppg in this era", really gets annoying.... so i just had to troll back.

Stinkyoutsider
07-12-2012, 12:48 PM
I think the 92 team would win because all those guys have killer instinct while I can't say the same thing about the 2012 team (other than Kobe). The 92 team was so competitive even in practice.

The 2012 team seems soft? They're all buddies and friends? I'm not sure the 2012 team has that switch to turn on but we'll get to see this soon enough this Olympics...

heyman321
07-12-2012, 12:49 PM

Thanks for confirming you just started watching basketball in 2008. Barkley would tear these sissies apart. Kevin Love? hahahhaha. Bosh? HAHAHAHHA. Chandler? Barkley would make Chandler his *****.

cssdmark
07-12-2012, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=thephoenixson28;22900529]Who is going to stop lebron. The man plays like Magic, but dunks like Jordan, and has the body of David Robinson.

First Dwight is not on this years team, 2nd Durant could not get inside on the Miami Heat team now try to get inside on Malone, Barkley, Ewing and Robinson. Durant would be strictly a jump shooter with his slight frame. Lebron is a freight train but did you see Karl Malones physique, now if you get past Malone you have Patrick or Robinson in the back contesting your shot. Kobe the best post player on the USA team as he says (******** Carmelo is better post player) is going to get in the inside and post up who, since there is no reason for the Dream team big men to be stretched away from the rim, they will all be on the inside. I guess if Durant shoots for 70% from three because that is where he will be shooting his contested 3 pointers. Kobe is a great player but he is delusional about his game now. He is 34 now and Michael would be at 29, again no comparison. Double digit win by 92 team. Not a blowout but double digit win

dAngelo
07-12-2012, 01:12 PM
96 dream team > 92 dream team > 08 redeem team > 2012 team

Rockwilderz
07-12-2012, 01:44 PM

Youre right, Mitch Richmond would light the 2012 team the **** up.

Reggie Miller , Grant Hill, Olajuwon , Admiral and Shaq? Its over!!

Deron , Westbrook and Chris Paul.. They are good but PAYTON will talk them out of the game! lol

MadBomber
07-12-2012, 01:48 PM
No doubt!! Sir Charles was beastmode back then....you get out the way when he comes at you with full steam!!

Barley ain't one to f*$K with, or else you be eatin some elbows. Not just from him but from the whole 92' squad. Current team too soft.

Gonna quote myself from similar thread... Its more relevant in this thread b/c I have Barkley Highlight Link in quote enjoy...

All that talk about the Dream Team being old is false, these ppl are not doing the Math the entire team except Magic (Sick) and Bird (older with the bad back) were in great shape and at the prime of their careers. In fact despite Magic's Illness he was still the 1992 NBA All-Star MVP and Bird was still putting up solid numbers bad back and all...

I know you young guys have no idea about Barkley's game so watch the link, he may be a overweight simple minded bump on the lodge commentator now, but in the late 80's and 90's he was a MONSTER on the court...!!!

Tai_chi_bbc
07-12-2012, 07:25 PM
I believe the Dream Team would win but people calling a blowout and 2012 team having no chance are just being stupid.

effen5
07-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Wow people underating Charles Barkley. You think he wouldn't smack the **** out of lebron driving to the rim ?Barkley in his prime was a bad bad man

Bigdaddyburch
07-12-2012, 08:09 PM
No doubt!! Sir Charles was beastmode back then....you get out the way when he comes at you with full steam!!

Barley ain't one to f*$K with, or else you be eatin some elbows. Not just from him but from the whole 92' squad. Current team too soft.

Wow people underating Charles Barkley. You think he wouldn't smack the **** out of lebron driving to the rim ?Barkley in his prime was a bad bad man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTMFTQFvO_8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwrel&NR=1&v=hyzk_aK4g68

oh and here is one after these Dream team members were washed up like the Kids want to say......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vCn-eXCu1o&feature=related