PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Contact former Wizards Coach Eddie Jordan For Asst. Coach-PRINCETON OFFENSE

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-11-2012, 07:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8158149/los-angeles-lakers-steve-nash-calls-kobe-bryant-dedicated-gym-rats

In addition to Nash manning the point, the Lakers' offense should look significantly different next season, as the team is contemplating running a Princeton-style offense and has been in contact with former Nets and Wizards coach Eddie Jordan to fill assistant Quin Snyder's place on the staff.

I think this would be a great move, Eddie Jordan did make the Wizards a really good offensive team when they had their big 3 of Gilbert Arenas, Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison. And maybe this move may entice Jamison to come sign with the Lakers since he's familiar with EJ's offensive style?

Lakeshow24KB
07-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Would Kobe fit in well? Not familiar with the offense

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Would Kobe fit in well? Not familiar with the offense

He'll have to, and it's the best for our team.

This is what I got from Wikipedia, read the very last paragraph as it really deals with why we are using the princeton offense, as it's probably one of the best ways to slow down a team that scores a lot of points and has a lot of athleticism (teams like OKC and Miami). I think Mike Brown and our Lakers FO, coaching staff, and the acquisition of Steve Nash and hopefully Eddie Jordan to our coaching staff will help make a successful championship run.

The offense usually starts out with four players outside the three-point arc with one player at the top of the key. The ball is kept in constant motion through passing until either a mismatch allows a player to cut to the basket or a player without the ball cuts toward the unoccupied area under and around the basket, and is passed the ball for a layup. Having a strong post player is important because this player is critical to passing to backdoor cutters, and can draw help defense to open outside shots.

The hallmark of the offense is the backdoor pass, where a player on the wing suddenly moves in towards the basket, receives a bounce pass from a guard on the perimeter, and (if done correctly) finds himself with no defenders between him and a layup. Alternatively, when the defensive team attempts to pack the paint to prevent backdoor cuts, the offense utilizes three point shots from the perimeter. All five players in the offense—including the center—should be competent at making a three point attempt, further spreading the floor.

The offense is often a very slow developing one, relying on a high number of passes, and is often used in college basketball by teams facing opponents with superior athletic talent, to maintain a low-scoring game (believing that a high-scoring game would favor the athletically superior opponent).

That last paragraph is key as I said to combat teams like OKC and Miami. We have the perfect core personnel of Steve, Kobe, Pau and Andrew (or Dwight, if and/or whenever that happens).

PS: read the last sentence of the 2nd paragraph, I'm sure Andrew would love that part of the offense! :laugh2: #trollinghard

Lakeshow24KB
07-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Ohh I see. It would work well against Miami but not so much against OKC since Ibaka and Perkins are very good at protecting the basket and Sefalosha is good at denying so it'll be hard to go backdoor.

If they do this, I'd expect to see Gasol give Kobe a lot of down screens and Kobe going back door, then drawing his AND Gasols defender, leaving Gasol open for a 17 footer. I gaurantee you that'll be one of their go-to plays. If Gasol's defender doesn't follow Kobe then expect a lot of alley oops to air mamba. ;)

KillaInstinct24
07-11-2012, 08:28 PM
another year, another system to learn..sigh

bluedawgalex
07-11-2012, 08:32 PM
i like that offense..IF we were to run it well it would be very efficient. its better than having kobe iso for 15 seconds and then take a last second shot

lakers4sho
07-11-2012, 08:35 PM
princeton offense and kobe and nash? you gotta be kidding me :laugh:

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-11-2012, 08:47 PM
another year, another system to learn..sigh

But a full training camp.

And l4s, why do you think princeton offense with Kobe and Nash won't work?

shep33
07-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Horrible idea. The offense will be pick and role with Nash, Kobe ISO on the post and throwing it into the bigs. Anything outside that is an epic fail.

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-11-2012, 08:48 PM
i like that offense..IF we were to run it well it would be very efficient. its better than having kobe iso for 15 seconds and then take a last second shot

Or letting Blake try to set up the offense. :puke:

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Horrible idea. The offense will be pick and role with Nash, Kobe ISO on the post and throwing it into the bigs. Anything outside that is an epic fail.

Well, I don't they'll maybe use some sequences of the princeton offense, and then most of the time the "Nash" offense, which is basically let him orchestrate everything, and then of course, from time to time, you'll have the Kobe, Pau and Drew/Dwight isos.

Lakersfan2483
07-11-2012, 08:52 PM
I don't have an issue with the offense as long as Kobe and Nash agree on it. The Sac. Kings used to use this offense under Rick Adelman. The Kings flourished under this offense as I see LA doing as well. I would hope Mike would be smart enough to allow Nash to push the tempo and get easy fastbreak pts as well as using this offensive system.

Lakersfan2483
07-11-2012, 08:54 PM
If LA intends to use this offense, they are going to have to sign another shooter on the wing.

Chacarron
07-11-2012, 08:54 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Lakersfan2483
07-11-2012, 08:56 PM
I like the fact that this offensive system emphasizes a great deal of ball and some player movement i.e. the triangle offense.

championships
07-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Didn't this guy suck as the wizards coach?

Lakersfan2483
07-11-2012, 08:58 PM
My thoughts exactly.

Which offense would you prefer?

Lakersfan2483
07-11-2012, 08:59 PM
The lakers need a system that is for sure. They lacked an identity and a clear cut offensive system last year and so I don't have a problem with them looking to upgrade the offense. It is better than having Kobe iso and or the bigs rim running in transition as Mike Brown used to call it.

shep33
07-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Sorry if I sounded in disagreement with you KB. I was more against the article's idea. Just let Nash and Kobe work it out. Getting Steve Nash and not running high pick and roll seems like a waste

Mr. NBA
07-11-2012, 09:06 PM
the Lakers coaching staff needs to be filled in.

Quin Snyder and Ettore Messina all left

So Eddie Jordan, and possibly another former head coach are going to
fill in the spot.

so that means there will be like tons of head coaches on this squad.

the problem is they still don't add up to Phil Jackson which is what bothers me.

midwestlaker75
07-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Anything would be better than that mess they were running last year. Basically it's your movement offense, Best ran by Sacramento with Vlade, C-Webb and Peja and co. Jordan I believe was an assistant on those teams along with Byron Scott, As well as being a former Laker. I think that would be a nice hire.

Lakersfan2483
07-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Anything would be better than that mess they were running last year. Basically it's your movement offense, Best ran by Sacramento with Vlade, C-Webb and Peja and co. Jordan I believe was an assistant on those teams along with Byron Scott, As well as being a former Laker. I think that would be a nice hire.

:clap: A step in the right direction for sure. We have 3 great passers in Nash, Gasol and Kobe (when kobe chooses to fascilitate, he can do it with the best of them). In this offense, you need a big man that can pass and wings that can pass. This offense will work better for Pau Gasol, in particular.

Chacarron
07-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Which offense would you prefer?

Just let Steve Nash run the show.

lakers4sho
07-11-2012, 09:18 PM
actually, i'm more concerned about how bynum/howard will fit in. I'm sure kobe and nash will find ways to get it to work, although nash is best suited when he is given free reign of the basketball, setting up his teammates. plus kobe hasn't been playing catch and shoot until recently.

the princeton offense pretty much involves a big in the high post with the basketball, with his teammates moving without the ball, setting screens for each other, and when the defense collapses, the big (who should be able to pass well) will take advantage.

Lakersfan2483
07-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Just let Steve Nash run the show.

High screen rolls similar to Dantoni in Phx?

GailGoodrich
07-11-2012, 09:21 PM
The lakers need a system that is for sure.

They have a system. It's the Nash system.

Let that baby run for three months and I don't think anyone will be complaining about the first-team offense. If they want a road map for the other guards to follow when they get to play with the pumpkin I don't care what it is as long as it keeps turnovers down and gets decent open looks.

Lakersfan2483
07-11-2012, 09:22 PM
actually, i'm more concerned about how bynum/howard will fit in. I'm sure kobe and nash will find ways to get it to work, although nash is best suited when he is given free reign of the basketball, setting up his teammates. plus kobe hasn't been playing catch and shoot until recently.

the princeton offense pretty much involves a big in the high post with the basketball, with his teammates moving without the ball, setting screens for each other, and when the defense collapses, the big (who should be able to pass well) will take advantage.

True. I am thinking Gasol wll have a bigger role but as you said, how does that work for Dru and or Howard? I am sure they will incorporate other things to make it work.

shep33
07-11-2012, 09:26 PM
I'd do high pick and roll all the time with Nash out there. Kobe will be getting wide open perimeter shots. Pick your poison with Nash getting into the lane, pau rolling and the defense shifting away from drew. If Nash gets into the paint the defense is screwed

Iceman_9
07-11-2012, 09:34 PM

Jason Kidd and the new jersey nets used this offense and made two trips in the finals. What is wrong with that?

lakers4sho
07-11-2012, 09:34 PM
True. I am thinking Gasol wll have a bigger role but as you said, how does that work for Dru and or Howard? I am sure they will incorporate other things to make it work.

maybe they will only use the princeton when only one of the two bigs are on the floor. the offense really, really, reeeealllllly relies on the mobility of all 5 guys, and if the floor is clogged by having 2 massive 7footers playing at the same time, then it will be hard to execute. you saw how that worked out with phil's triangle, and that is just 4 guys having to move around while the pivot guy had the ball in the post. they couldn't work it out with bynum and gasol on the floor at the same time.

and like always, having floor spacers is crucial. Also, the big with the ball in the high post should be able to shoot that midrange J, in case the defense sags off of him, which is why I'm not sure how it will work with Howard/Bynum as the high post guy.

Jason Kidd and the new jersey nets used this offense and made two trips in the finals. What is wrong with that?

well for one, nash isn't kidd. also that nets team is very different from this current laker team.

Iceman_9
07-11-2012, 09:35 PM
I'd do high pick and roll all the time with Nash out there. Kobe will be getting wide open perimeter shots. Pick your poison with Nash getting into the lane, pau rolling and the defense shifting away from drew. If Nash gets into the paint the defense is screwed

We can't run the pick and roll every ball possession..

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-11-2012, 09:40 PM
We can't run the pick and roll every ball possession..

That's why sometimes you need to mix things up, like everything gets all outta whack with the P&R, revert to the Kobe System.

Give Kobe the ball and get out of his ****n way! :D

#kobesystem

Lakeshow24KB
07-11-2012, 09:57 PM
That's why sometimes you need to mix things up, like everything gets all outta whack with the P&R, revert to the Kobe System.

Give Kobe the ball and get out of his ****n way! :D

#kobesystem

Once again, swag.

Storch
07-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Princeton offense wont work with the Lakers. Let's run the pick n roll. Nash said it himself, it's the hardest offense to guard and he's the best at it.

MadBomber
07-12-2012, 12:16 AM
didn't the sacramento kings employ the "princeton offence" when we battled them in the late 90's during our 3-peat?

lakers4sho
07-12-2012, 12:23 AM
rick adelman ran the princeton with the 2000s kings team with divac and c-webb, the 90s blazers team with clyde drexler and terry porter, and a modified version of it with the current wolves team.

Polamalu43322
07-12-2012, 12:44 AM
It's getting bad......... Can't we just go back to the Triangle. ****ing a.

Showtime Steve
07-12-2012, 12:45 AM
im sure someone asked but isnt that ish even SLOWER??

Avenged
07-12-2012, 12:49 AM
It'll work.

With Nash at point.. it'll work dammit!

GarveyArms
07-12-2012, 01:09 AM
Where is ol Byron Scott?

Id support him over Doo Doo Brown

jonesyLakeShow
07-12-2012, 01:17 AM
the Lakers coaching staff needs to be filled in.

Quin Snyder and Ettore Messina all left

So Eddie Jordan, and possibly another former head coach are going to
fill in the spot.

so that means there will be like tons of head coaches on this squad.

the problem is they still don't add up to Phil Jackson which is what bothers me.

Who can add up to phil .What would of Phil been without Kobe and Jordan. Let's not put Eddie down with the talent he may look like a genius

broncosfan4eva
07-12-2012, 01:18 AM
probably to install backdoor cuts and things of that nature and let nash/kobe run the rest of the offense

broncosfan4eva
07-12-2012, 01:19 AM
Where is ol Byron Scott?

Id support him over Doo Doo Brown

Cleveland

Chavacano
07-12-2012, 01:42 AM
Nash-pick-and-roll-with-anyone offense. :nod:

MickeyMgl
07-12-2012, 02:42 AM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8158149/los-angeles-lakers-steve-nash-calls-kobe-bryant-dedicated-gym-rats

I think this would be a great move, Eddie Jordan did make the Wizards a really good offensive team when they had their big 3 of Gilbert Arenas, Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison. And maybe this move may entice Jamison to come sign with the Lakers since he's familiar with EJ's offensive style?

My reaction is "Yes" to Princeton, "No" to Eddie Jordan, who was a horrible head coach - although his impact might be muted somewhat as an assistant, so maybe it's not such a big deal.

cg_la00
07-12-2012, 03:18 AM
Princeton offense wont work with the Lakers. Let's run the pick n roll. Nash said it himself, it's the hardest offense to guard and he's the best at it.

u know wut yur best at? GETTING ME FRUSTRATED!!! :mad: damn yur sig!!

cg_la00
07-12-2012, 03:20 AM
and i dont want eddie jordan! i want snyder back...i mean who else is gunna talk to reporters about wut were gunna do in the next quarter to beat our opponent, while having a great looking head of hair?

Davidgta1
07-12-2012, 04:27 AM
Me likey