PDA

View Full Version : Dallas to amnesty Haywood

justinnum1
07-11-2012, 06:59 PM
macmahon
Coming on @ESPNDallas -- Source says Mavs will use amnesty clause on Brendan Haywood.

torocan
07-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Ooooo.... interesting.

I wonder who they're going to go after?

shep33
07-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Has to go through the bidding process, but Miami would make a lot of sense. Portland might scoop him before then.

TeamSeattle
07-11-2012, 07:01 PM
wow Dallas with alot of room to work with now.

justinnum1
07-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Has to go through the bidding process, but Miami would make a lot of sense. Portland might scoop him before then.

Would love to get him on the super cheap but will never happen. I would bet money someone picks him up, portland being a good possibility.

Cano-Montero...
07-11-2012, 07:03 PM
i was thinking miami again.. I forgot he needs to pass waivers..

Aust
And in the distance I hear those whispers "2013 FA....."

greg_ory_2005
How many years left on his deal? Raptors need someone like him.

DoMeFavors
He will return to NY and backup Brook Lopez, thanks Dallas!

torocan
07-11-2012, 07:05 PM
He will return to NY and backup Brook Lopez, thanks Dallas!

He won't get past Waivers, and the Nets have very little cap room left.

I expect a big cap team to snag him.

Toronto? Portland? Suns anyone?

LTBaByyy
07-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Thank god :dance:

tcav701
07-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Time for all of the clueless fans to chime in and list over the cap teams that will "sign" him.

LTBaByyy
07-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Rockets will be the favorite to pick him up

Bulls leaning toward matching Asik

LTBaByyy
07-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Kaman > Haywood x1000000

Lazy bum, only played hard against Howard and Bynum

Every other minute, bum.

BlondeBomber41
07-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Doubt he gets scooped on waivers, too much money owed.

tcav701
07-11-2012, 07:08 PM

Good point, now learn the amnesty rules and edit this post.

Jarvo
07-11-2012, 07:09 PM
I know Mavs fan are happy as ****, He sucks so damn bad.

DoMeFavors
07-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Nobody will bid on him he has 4 years left.

LTBaByyy
07-11-2012, 07:10 PM
We still have so much cap space

Haywood makes 8-10 million per year the next 3 seasons and we signed Kaman for one season!

We get a better player, less years, and lose $0 on the salary cap

torocan
07-11-2012, 07:11 PM

Waiver claims can be for the entire contract, or a part of it. The size of Haywood's contract is irrelevant. If I bid $3M and I'm the highest bid, I get him.

Also as with any other waived player, another team may place a waiver claim in order to acquire the player before he clears waivers (see question number 63). But amnesty is different from the normal waiver process in that it allows teams to make either a full or partial waiver claim. When a team makes a full waiver claim it acquires the player, assumes his full contract, and pays all remaining salary obligations (and the waiving team has no further salary obligation to the player). Full waiver claims have precedence over partial waiver claims -- if one team makes a full waiver claim and another makes a partial waiver claim, the team making the full waiver claim is awarded the player. If multiple teams make full waiver claims, the player is awarded to the team with the worst record.

A partial waiver claim is a bid for a single dollar amount. If no team makes a full waiver claim, the player is awarded to the team submitting the highest bid in a partial waiver claim. If multiple teams bid the same amount, the player is awarded to the team with the worst record. When a team is awarded a player via a partial waiver claim, it pays the following portion of the player's salary:

•The amount of their bid, spread pro rata across all remaining guaranteed years of the player's contract
•All non-base compensation, such as bonuses
•100% of the player's salary in non-guaranteed seasons

The waiving team continues to pay the remainder of the player's salary -- any portion that is not paid by the claiming team. For example, the New York Knicks amnestied Chauncey Billups in 2011 with one year remaining on his contract for $14.2 million. The Los Angeles Clippers submitted the only bid, for $2,000,032. The Clippers paid Billups the amount of their bid, with the Knicks responsible for the remaining $12,199,968. This system (plus the rules for minimum bids, as described below) helps ensure that the waiving team doesn't have to pay the player more than they would have paid had they waived their player without amnesty.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q67

1_team_1_dream

domeafavor and learn the amnesty rules.

tcav701

Dallas would be on the hook to pay the difference between the winning bid and his remaining contract.

justinnum1
07-11-2012, 07:12 PM
coon
As with any other waived player, teams must continue to pay the guaranteed base salary of their amnestied players.

Also as with any other waived player, another team may place a waiver claim in order to acquire the player before he clears waivers (see question number 63). But amnesty is different from the normal waiver process in that it allows teams to make either a full or partial waiver claim. When a team makes a full waiver claim it acquires the player, assumes his full contract, and pays all remaining salary obligations (and the waiving team has no further salary obligation to the player). Full waiver claims have precedence over partial waiver claims -- if one team makes a full waiver claim and another makes a partial waiver claim, the team making the full waiver claim is awarded the player. If multiple teams make full waiver claims, the player is awarded to the team with the worst record.

A partial waiver claim is a bid for a single dollar amount. If no team makes a full waiver claim, the player is awarded to the team submitting the highest bid in a partial waiver claim. If multiple teams bid the same amount, the player is awarded to the team with the worst record. When a team is awarded a player via a partial waiver claim, it pays the following portion of the player's salary:

The amount of their bid, spread pro rata across all remaining guaranteed years of the player's contract
All non-base compensation, such as bonuses
100% of the player's salary in non-guaranteed seasons

torocan
07-11-2012, 07:13 PM

Already addressed how completely wrong this is in my amnesty post.

LTBaByyy
07-11-2012, 07:13 PM
I swear DoMeFavors doesn't know about basketball lol

Its cute :)

gatkins11
07-11-2012, 07:14 PM
He's garbage. Good riddance.

DoMeFavors
07-11-2012, 07:14 PM

um I do..if someone bids 2 million that means for the next 4 seasons thats 2 million a year that means that team would have to pay him 8 in 4 years.

StarvingKnick22
07-11-2012, 07:15 PM
well thats 16 mil thats gone to waste

tcav701
07-11-2012, 07:15 PM
um I do..if someone bids 2 million that means for the next 4 seasons thats 2 million a year that means that team would have to pay him 8 in 4 years.

No they would have to pay 500,000 a year.

1_team_1_dream
07-11-2012, 07:16 PM

nop come again

torocan
07-11-2012, 07:16 PM

And if you actually KNEW that, and believe that someone wouldn't pay above the Vet Minimum for 4 years, you're bordering on delusional...

I'm going with Option A. Did NOT know that.

dtmagnet
07-11-2012, 07:18 PM

2 million total, Dallas pays everything else.

DoMeFavors
07-11-2012, 07:19 PM
2 million total, dallas pays everything else.

i know!

gotoHcarolina52
07-11-2012, 07:20 PM
In order to submit a bid for a partial waiver claim, the bidding team must have cap room equivalent to the portion of their bid that would be charged to team salary in that season, plus the amount of any likely bonuses (see question number 72) for that season. If necessary, teams can create this cap room by waiving non-guaranteed players, but not by making trades. The team must make the cap room available immediately upon being awarded the amnesty claim.

Can a team use the Disabled Player Exception to make an amnesty waiver bid?

I wouldn't think so if the team is over the cap, but perhaps there's a loophole.

LTBaByyy
07-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Come on DoMeFavors, you can do it :)

Google NBA Amnesty clause and you are close :)

You will get a gold star! Good boy.

Romo2Bryant
07-11-2012, 07:21 PM
I can see Blazers, Suns, and possibly Rockets make a bid for him.

tcav701
07-11-2012, 07:22 PM

No.

Cant use the MLE, Vet MIN or Disabled Player Exception.

It's solely for teams under the cap.

dtmagnet
07-11-2012, 07:22 PM
i know!

From the post that I responded to, no you don't. Maybe you do NOW that its been explained to you but you clearly didn't before.

Weezy
07-11-2012, 07:23 PM

You seriously are just making up rules as if you were creating your own game. You fail.

DoMeFavors
07-11-2012, 07:24 PM
From the post that I responded to, no you don't. Maybe you do NOW that its been explained to you but you clearly didn't before.

I always knew Nets amnestied Outlaw and the bid was 3 million so ofcourse I knew Nets had to pay 4 million salary every year. Please stop!

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-11-2012, 07:25 PM
I don't think anyone will bid on him. If he gets through waivers, maybe Lakers should sign him as a backup if we somehow lose Jordan Hill to free agencuy.

justinnum1
07-11-2012, 07:25 PM
So lets say a team with 4mil in cap space bids 4 mil.

And haywood has 4 years and 44mil left on his deal.

Does that mean the bidding team would only have to pay him 1 mil per year for the 4 years and dallas pays him 10mil per year?

If so then i think a team with cap will definitely take a chance on him, especially if it cost next to nothing.

torocan
07-11-2012, 07:26 PM

I wouldn't think so if the team is over the cap, but perhaps there's a loophole.

I do not believe so. See section 26.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q26

If a team is below the cap, then their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level (either the Taxpayer or Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level, whichever applies to the team) and/or trade exceptions are added to their team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap1. This is to prevent a loophole, in a manner similar to free agent amounts (see question number 38). A team can't act like it's under the cap and sign free agents using cap room, and then use their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or trade exceptions. Consequently, the exceptions are added to their team salary (putting the team over the cap) if the team is under the cap and adding the exceptions puts them over the cap. If a team is already over the cap, then the exceptions are not added to their team salary. There would be no point in doing so, since there is no cap room for signing free agents.

So being under the cap does not necessarily mean a team has room to sign free agents. For example, assume the cap is $58 million, and a team has $51.5 million committed to salaries. They also have a Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception for $5 million and a trade exception for $5.5 million. Even though their salaries put them $6.5 million under the cap, their exceptions also count toward their team salary, increasing their total to $62 million, or $4 million over the cap. So the team actually has no cap room to sign free agents, and instead must use its exceptions to sign players.

I could be wrong, but it seems they want actual available cap space to exercise an amnesty waiver claim...

torocan
07-11-2012, 07:27 PM

Does that mean the bidding team would only have to pay him 1 mil per year for the 4 years and dallas pays him 10mil per year?

If so then i think a team with cap will definitely take a chance on him, especially if it cost next to nothing.

Correct. IE, they can pick him up for pennies on the dollar, and Dallas is on the hook for the difference.

SOMEONE will pick him up, the only question is how much cap space they're willing to use.

Slug3
07-11-2012, 07:29 PM
I don't think anyone will bid on him. If he gets through waivers, maybe Lakers should sign him as a backup if we somehow lose Jordan Hill to free agencuy.

Someone will bid a million or 2 on him.

tcav701
07-11-2012, 07:29 PM

Correct.

J_M_B
07-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Come on DoMeFavors, you can do it :)

Google NBA Amnesty clause and you are close :)

You will get a gold star! Good boy.

Your just as pathetic as he is.

theheatles
07-11-2012, 07:52 PM
They wanted CP3 and Dwight all along

D12 fan
07-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Hello Miami.They are going to be a beast next year.

King James,Dwade,Bosh,Allen,Haslem,Lewis,Battier,Miller ,Haywood

Talk about a deep team.

justinnum1
07-11-2012, 08:00 PM
hollinger
Mavs amnesty of Haywood a likely prelude to auction bid on Elton Brand. Can do $9.2M now by my count.

jiggin
07-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Follow-up on @espn_macmahon report, gotta think Blazers may use amnesty auction to bid on Haywood. Could have two years at low $

https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/223189583020556288

keetyweedy
07-11-2012, 08:08 PM
everybody sayin how they would take him lmao TRUST ME U DONT!!!! and Miami you would think ya'll would have learned the first time after getting Dampier...Arrivederci

njnets
07-11-2012, 08:28 PM
wonder where he will end up.

he is not a bad player. he was not worth the 8 million he made though. if he makes roughly 3 million a year, he is a pretty solid player.

i found it funny that the mavs have overpayed him, lafrentz, bradley, dampier, and diop, but let go chandler lol. amnesty allowed them to get them out of this one though.

kinda sad bc the one year dirk had a pretty good center next to him he won it all. i know that a lot of factors had to do with it and im not a huge fan of "what if" but dirk with a really good low post center his whole career would have complemented him a lot.

JordansBulls
07-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Dallas should just clean house then.

NoahH
07-11-2012, 09:13 PM
:pray: please clear waivers and come to miami!

Young2Kinsler
07-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Hello Miami.They are going to be a beast next year.

King James,Dwade,Bosh,Allen,Haslem,Lewis,Battier,Miller ,Haywood

Talk about a deep team.

Hello? No
Goodbye, wishful thinking? Yes

YOU MUST HAVE CAP SPACE TO CLAIM SOMEONE ON AMNESTY WAIVERS

piratepete
07-11-2012, 09:33 PM
i think hes a scrub no efort at all come on miami fans you cant sign every player that comes avalible i will rather have anthony

justinnum1
07-11-2012, 09:35 PM
i think hes a scrub no efort at all come on miami fans you cant sign every player that comes avalible i will rather have anthony

True, i just think it would be funny that a player cuban is paying is helping miami win another ring lol

Bigbadmoffo
07-11-2012, 09:42 PM

????

Bigbadmoffo
07-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Dallas going for a cp3/dh12/dirk trio next year?

Patrick Ewing33
07-11-2012, 09:44 PM
If he goes to Miami I swear I'll have a fit.

justinnum1
07-11-2012, 09:46 PM
If he goes to Miami I swear I'll have a fit.

not happening, don't need him.

Dade County
07-11-2012, 09:48 PM

nice

To bad the HEAT can get him :(

Patrick Ewing33
07-11-2012, 09:58 PM
not happening, don't need him.Don't you guys need a center? Anthony and Turiuf ain't starters.. But yea you guys really dont need him.

justinnum1
07-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Don't you guys need a center? Anthony and Turiuf ain't starters.. But yea you guys really dont need him.

Bosh played awesome in the playoffs as center. avg 12/11 as a center and played great D. Not to mention he shot over 50% from 3. Bosh playing center full time and he is a easy top 10 center in the league.

him, anthony, and UD will play center and when the playoffs come bosh will play center most of the time.

MrfadeawayJB
07-11-2012, 10:04 PM
maybe the grizz can throw a few million at him. We need a backup C bad and we are close to the cap so a small bid is a possible option

ldawg
07-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Stupid why not trade him everyone want a center? Is Dallas clearing space for Howard?

Young2Kinsler
07-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Stupid why not trade him everyone want a center? Is Dallas clearing space for Howard?

Well the main reason we don't trade him is he sucks and is owed over 37 million dollars over the next 4 years.

1. Teams don't want that salary
2. Dallas would have to take back an even worse contract, which they don't want to do since they are clearing cap space

Therefor, the amnesty is the way to get his contract off our cap number.

keetyweedy
07-11-2012, 10:30 PM
you know what, it amazes me how Dallas has had Haywood for 3 yrs and not ONCE have I EVER heard anybody compliment on his game or his presence, now all of a sudden everybody's ranting about how much better he will make miami...Like be serious he SUCKS! he's been in the league 11 yrs and has only avg double digit points ONCE and double digit rebounds ONCE

Mr.B
07-11-2012, 10:41 PM

Any team that puts in a claim for him won't have to pick up his entire contract (Cuban is still on the hook for that it just doesn't count against the cap) they only have to pay him the amount they bid for him. Only teams with cap room can put in a bid.

justinnum1
07-11-2012, 10:41 PM
you know what, it amazes me how Dallas has had Haywood for 3 yrs and not ONCE have I EVER heard anybody compliment on his game or his presence, now all of a sudden everybody's ranting about how much better he will make miami...Like be serious he SUCKS! he's been in the league 11 yrs and has only avg double digit points ONCE and double digit rebounds ONCE

Big difference between getting haywood for 11mil a year and 1.5mil a year..

piratepete
07-11-2012, 10:42 PM
you know what, it amazes me how Dallas has had Haywood for 3 yrs and not ONCE have I EVER heard anybody compliment on his game or his presence, now all of a sudden everybody's ranting about how much better he will make miami...Like be serious he SUCKS! he's been in the league 11 yrs and has only avg double digit points ONCE and double digit rebounds ONCE:clap:

torocan
07-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Smells like a plan coming together...

Waive Haywood, pick up Collison and Kaman... what next?

keetyweedy
07-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Big difference between getting haywood for 11mil a year and 1.5mil a year..

of course we made a knucklehead move but he isn't even worth 1.5, I don't care what way you slice the pie HE SUCKS if you want center to keep your bench warm re-sign Eddy Curry...I rather have Shawn Bradley, at least he had somewhat of a mid-range jumper

Mr.B
07-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Smells like a plan coming together...

Waive Haywood, pick up Collison and Kaman... what next?

Hopefully convincing Delonte into signing another 1 year deal.

Mr.B
07-11-2012, 10:55 PM
of course we made a knucklehead move but he isn't even worth 1.5, I don't care what way you slice the pie HE SUCKS if you want center to keep your bench warm re-sign Eddy Curry...I rather have Shawn Bradley, at least he had somewhat of a mid-range jumper

Trust me, the only thing Bradley was good for was the comedic factor. Dude was HILARIOUS when he would fall down. Easily the most awkward looking human being ever created. Actually I will say one more thing he was really good at... pissing people off! He had an uncanny ability to have guys playing against him get technical fouls.

keetyweedy
07-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Trust me, the only thing Bradley was good for was the comedic factor. Dude was HILARIOUS when he would fall down. Easily the most awkward looking human being ever created. Actually I will say one more thing he was really good at... pissing people off! He had an uncanny ability to have guys playing against him get technical fouls.

I know he was guaranteed poster but between him and haywood I would take him in a heartbeat check the stats....Not even close

Mr.B
07-11-2012, 11:17 PM
I know he was guaranteed poster but between him and haywood I would take him in a heartbeat check the stats....Not even close

Yea Bradley actually averaged over 2 blocks a game. He was horrible though. He made Manute Bol look like Shaq. You need to read the story about his custom made bicycle getting stolen from his barn in Utah.

Beantownsboss
07-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Maybe celtics take a flyer on him, after he clears waivers.

utl768
07-12-2012, 12:42 AM
he will never clear amnesty waivers but if he does miami should take a look

Lord Leoshes
07-12-2012, 03:16 AM
he will never clear amnesty waivers but if he does miami should take a look

This