PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Begged Dwight to Stay

Sssmush
07-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Breaking up is hard to do, but begging is never the most dignified way to handle it. Then when begging becomes jealous possesiveness and controlling, that is the worst.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/dwighthoward-120316/conference-call-made-howard-decision-dunk

But 86-year-old Magic owner Rich DeVos confirmed Friday that an 11th-hour conference call he had with Howard on Wednesday night played a role in keeping the league's best center in Orlando. It was during that call, as the Magic were in San Antonio to play the Spurs, when as many as 17 people were on the line. That group included DeVos' grandchildren, one as young as age 16, who weighed in on the ordeal.

Orlando's front-office executives also participated. It was during a 15-minute segment of the call when DeVos finally informed Howard that unless he was willing to stay through next season, he would otherwise be traded in the next few hours.

"I think that's when he realized," DeVos, bound to a wheelchair, said of the conversation while sitting in the locker room after Friday's win. "He wanted to talk to each and every one of us. He talked to everybody in the family. That's the way he's always been."

Even as the executives DeVos has entrusted to run his franchise were finalizing paperwork on potential trades, the billionaire patriarch of the organization was still holding hope that he could somehow talk Howard into staying.

Some might see DeVos as a figurehead at this stage, but he reiterated Friday that he still holds the power that could have vetoed a deal to trade Howard.

"I think you all didn't think we could do it," DeVos told reporters in the locker room. "I never felt that way. That doesn't mean I'm right. But I overcome my doubts with a positive attitude."

Howard conceded that the conference call did sway his decision. By the time the Magic's chartered plane landed in Orlando in the wee hours Thursday, Howard had informed the team he would bypass the early termination option in his contract.

Jroz
07-11-2012, 05:17 PM
this is 5 months old............

Mr Costanza
07-11-2012, 05:18 PM
March 17...

Sssmush
07-11-2012, 05:18 PM
this is 5 months old............

This is HIGHLY relevant to the biggest story in sports right now.

People seem to be forgetting the facts. This story, in its glorious fullness, is UTTERLY AMAZING.

MagicHero3
07-11-2012, 05:19 PM
old news nobody cares

Jroz
07-11-2012, 05:20 PM
This is HIGHLY relevant to the biggest story in sports right now.

People seem to be forgetting the facts. This story, in its glorious fullness, is UTTERLY AMAZING.

neat

Aust
07-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Ugh

Sssmush
07-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Orlando then FIRED its excellent winning coach SVG, and its GM after the season in the hopes of keeping Howard.

metswon69
07-11-2012, 05:24 PM
It's sad a professional team has to grovel to keep a guy in their city when he signed a contract and then reupped for this year...

Dwight Howard is a baby!!

Sssmush
07-11-2012, 05:24 PM
old news nobody cares

HAHA

I love the way Orlando people try to get in and shut the tread down before anybody can consider its implications.

Like "yep, nothing to see here folks, just move along. Nothing to see here."

ThunderousDemon
07-11-2012, 05:25 PM
I thought this was new until the end, lol.

LOOTERX9
old news nobody cares

I care, because it shows how pathetic orlando org. looks now. stalking a player that wants no part of them. orlando is making themselves look worse than dwight ever have

StarvingKnick22
you cant stop him from chasing his love in deron lol

jayjay33
07-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Wow....I didnt hear about. That was low.......dirty pool. lol

torocan
07-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Wow....I didnt hear about. That was low.......dirty pool. lol

All is fair in love and war...

ThunderousDemon
07-11-2012, 05:35 PM
All is fair in love and war...

:confused:

smith&wesson
07-11-2012, 05:37 PM
howards gonna be the end this poor rich old man.

Sssmush
07-11-2012, 05:37 PM
you cant stop him from chasing his love in deron lol

I know, right? They are like star-crossed lovers now, it's like Romeo and Juliet or the Notebook or something.

"Deron, my sugar bear, someday I will find my way back to you and we will run and play together in the Brooklyn arena just like we always planned. Someday we will high five together, and jump in the air and chest bump, and joke around and tickle fight in the shower, just like those magic moments in Beijing in 2008 that we shared, that I will never forget. I am trapped in Orlando now though, but know that I think of you, and of Brooklyn, every.single.day. xoxoxoxoxoxoxo. -Dwight"

Sssmush
07-11-2012, 05:39 PM
"My cruel husband Rich DeVos mentally abuses me, and never lets me go anywhere, such as Brooklyn to be with my sugar bear."

torocan
07-11-2012, 05:40 PM
i know, right? They are like star-crossed lovers now, it's like romeo and juliet or the notebook or something.

"deron, my sugar bear, someday i will find my way back to you and we will run and play together in the brooklyn arena just like we always planned. Someday we will high five together, and jump in the air and chest bump, and joke around and tickle fight in the shower, just like those magic moments in beijing in 2008 that we shared, that i will never forget. I am trapped in orlando now though, but know that i think of you, and of brooklyn, every.single.day. Xoxoxoxoxoxoxo. -dwight"

roflmao

:)

*Superman*
07-11-2012, 05:41 PM
And Nets did this for Deron, **** like this happens all the time, get over it.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/nets/nets_send_deron_day_surprise_J6nC8sxiMsNjQp6ZY8UiJ L

and

http://blogimages.thescore.com/tbj/files/2012/06/deron-williams-dallas-birthday-sign.jpg

LOOTERX9
07-11-2012, 05:47 PM
And Nets did this for Deron, **** like this happens all the time, get over it.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/nets/nets_send_deron_day_surprise_J6nC8sxiMsNjQp6ZY8UiJ L

and

http://blogimages.thescore.com/tbj/files/2012/06/deron-williams-dallas-birthday-sign.jpg

difference is deron never said he 100 % wants to leave nets. The orlando / howard relationship is broken to the point of no return. and we all can see this but for some strange reason orlando can't:facepalm:

*Superman*
07-11-2012, 05:49 PM
difference is deron never said he 100 % wants to leave nets. The orlando / howard relationship is broken to the point of no return. and we all can see this but for some strange reason orlando can't:facepalm:

First stop facepalming, it is so lame, you don't prove anything from it.

AND WHO SAID MAGIC WANT TO KEEP DWIGHT STILL?

jimm120
07-11-2012, 06:03 PM
It's sad a professional team has to grovel to keep a guy in their city when he signed a contract and then reupped for this year...

Dwight Howard is a baby!!

Wait wait wait.

THey're not "groveling" to keep him during the duration of his contract. They're groveling to keep him on the team.

Trading Dwight is the team's decision because they "want to get something in return instead of just letting him walk". But the Orlando magic

1 - could have kept him throughout the end of the year and not attempted to trade him at midseason

2 - could have kept him instead of looking for deals now in the offseason.

3 - could keep him in playing in Orlando till the end of next season.

Its that THEY WANT. All Dwight is saying is that if he is traded, then he won't sign any extensions (aside for the Brooklyn Nets). If they're not gonna trade him, then keep him on the team. Orlando can still trade him anywhere they want.

jiggin
07-11-2012, 06:04 PM
This is really old...and doesn't say ANYTHING about them BEGGING him to stay as you suggested:

Orlando's front-office executives also participated. It was during a 15-minute segment of the call when DeVos finally informed Howard that unless he was willing to stay through next season, he would otherwise be traded in the next few hours.

That is what seemed to sway the call...at least that is what this article you are referencing infers.

I hate it when people read too into MEDIA reports...as if the media doesn't cloud the truth enough on their own.

Vinny642
07-11-2012, 07:18 PM
they should do the same thing again

C-Style
07-11-2012, 07:26 PM
This reminds me of that moron who can't face the fact that his gf doesn't wanna be with him no more.

D12 fan
07-11-2012, 07:28 PM
This reminds me of that moron who can't face the fact that his gf doesn't wanna be with him no more.

True.

metswon69
07-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Wait wait wait.

THey're not "groveling" to keep him during the duration of his contract. They're groveling to keep him on the team.

Trading Dwight is the team's decision because they "want to get something in return instead of just letting him walk". But the Orlando magic

1 - could have kept him throughout the end of the year and not attempted to trade him at midseason

2 - could have kept him instead of looking for deals now in the offseason.

3 - could keep him in playing in Orlando till the end of next season.

Its that THEY WANT. All Dwight is saying is that if he is traded, then he won't sign any extensions (aside for the Brooklyn Nets). If they're not gonna trade him, then keep him on the team. Orlando can still trade him anywhere they want.

What team is gonna take him without him signing an extension?

He's gonna command a boatload in a trade and no team is going to take a chance on him unless he commits to that franchise long term.

He's basically extorting and blackmailing the Magic to blink and ultimately they should shop him because he obviously has no intentions on playing with them past this year and the Magic know that.

Furthermore, if he reupped to stay there this year then why is it that all you ever hear is that he wants out?

If he wanted to play for the Nets, he should have become a free agent and signed with them in the offseason instead of him proclaiming "that he wants to stay in Orlando" only to ditch them a year later.

Toastyy
07-11-2012, 09:25 PM
That's sad

Sssmush
07-11-2012, 09:41 PM
What team is gonna take him without him signing an extension?

He's gonna command a boatload in a trade and no team is going to take a chance on him unless he commits to that franchise long term.

He's basically extorting and blackmailing the Magic to blink and ultimately they should shop him because he obviously has no intentions on playing with them past this year and the Magic know that.

my two cents is this, that if we think about the best possible deal Orlando can get in trade for Howard at this point, whatever package that might be be... is that, minus what they could get by just sending to Houston for a handful of picks and the rights to a couple fresh rookies, is that difference worth completely trashing their entire franchise?

Like my vision of Orlando's future is a picture of Dwight's Nike sneaker, stomping on Orlando's face, forever.

Seriously, Houston or the Lakers is willing to take him for a rental, Orlando should JUMP at the chance and just be done with it. The Brooklyn deal is bad, I get that, Orlando would have to take on a bunch of crap salary and Brooke Lopez. Plus you are giving in to Dwight's demands. But Houston will give you a bunch of picks and mad cap relief!

Continuing to hold him at this point borders on actual insanity. The sports media will smell blood on this and it will become a complete CIRCUS. An absolute circus. Ready?

Because Orlando seems to have decided to just "stay the course" and keep Dwight on the team, play it all the way to the end, just like I predicted they would.