PDA

View Full Version : PSDiscussion: Players forcing their way out

DitchDat
07-11-2012, 09:13 AM
To me it's clear: if you're an unrestricted free agents, you can sign with whatever team you want, no problem.

If you're a restricted free agent, you can allow teams to court you and even sign an offer sheet, but that's it.

It's becoming more and more of a trend for restricted free agents to want out and be very vocal about it. The media landscape has obviously changed and it's very easy for players to communicate their opinion, but I think there should be fines. Keep contract talk in-house.

To all the restricted free agents: you are not free to pick a team. It's tough, but it's reality, you are not unrestricted.

With all the social media chatter by "sources" on top of this all, it gets really frustrating really quick.

I don't want this thread to be about specific players, I just want opinions on the concept of divas forcing their way out.

koreancabbage
07-11-2012, 09:15 AM
I think its becoming a trend that players still in contract try to force their way out of the team they signed.

No integrity at all.

Melo, Howard to name a few of the more recent big name players.

Glen20
07-11-2012, 09:17 AM
meh if you force your way out and your team doesn't match, then it's their fault for letting you go
demanding out is unacceptable though

torocan
07-11-2012, 09:19 AM
To me it's clear: if you're an unrestricted free agents, you can sign with whatever team you want, no problem.

If you're a restricted free agent, you can allow teams to court you and even sign an offer sheet, but that's it.

It's becoming more and more of a trend for restricted free agents to want out and be very vocal about it. The media landscape has obviously changed and it's very easy for players to communicate their opinion, but I think there should be fines. Keep contract talk in-house.

To all the restricted free agents: you are not free to pick a team. It's tough, but it's reality, you are not unrestricted.

With all the social media chatter by "sources" on top of this all, it gets really frustrating really quick.

I don't want this thread to be about specific players, I just want opinions on the concept of divas forcing their way out.

RFA means you are free to approach other teams, and it's up to teams to match.

It is perfectly legitimate for a RFA to try to influence this process. If they don't want to play for My team, that's their right.

And if someone doesn't want to play for MY team, I'd rather the management trade them or let them go for someone who does.

Would you rather find that out Before or After the contract is signed?

DitchDat
07-11-2012, 09:19 AM
I think its becoming a trend that players still in contract try to force their way out of the team they signed.

No integrity at all.

...and with only one destination in mind... Yeah that's frustrating.

Most overused saying by these players: "I will not sign an extension with X team"

Players should play out their contracts, then they have say.

DitchDat
07-11-2012, 09:20 AM
meh if you force your way out and your team doesn't match, then it's their fault for letting you go
demanding out is unacceptable though

Co-sign. It annoys the **** out of me.

Glen20
07-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Co-sign. It annoys the **** out of me.

your username... so appropriate
did you create your psd account just for this thread? :laugh:

DitchDat
07-11-2012, 09:23 AM
RFA means you are free to approach other teams, and it's up to teams to match.

It is perfectly legitimate for a RFA to try to influence this process. If they don't want to play for My team, that's their right.

And if someone doesn't want to play for MY team, I'd rather the management trade them or let them go for someone who does.

Would you rather find that out Before or After the contract is signed?

If the player is retained by the team, he has no choice but to play for them. A lot of players start pouting though. Fact remains: the concept of the RFA is that his original team has the right to match, in the end the player has nothing to say about that.

koreancabbage
07-11-2012, 09:25 AM
...and with only one destination in mind... Yeah that's frustrating.

Most overused saying by these players: "I will not sign an extension with X team"

Players should play out their contracts, then they have say.

total BS i know lol

I hope Dwight becomes a free agent. Imagine if Dwight was playing in Milwaukee or NOH or Charlotte?

GrumpyOldMan
07-11-2012, 09:29 AM
If the player is retained by the team, he has no choice but to play for them. A lot of players start pouting though. Fact remains: the concept of the RFA is that his original team has the right to match, in the end the player has nothing to say about that.

Don't RFAs have the right to accept a qualifying offer and play one more year for the original team and then become a UFA?
The guys who want out should just do this and then hit the open market without any worries about the original team matching. No need to force anything then.
I may be mistaken, but I think that option is there for most if not all RFAs.

DitchDat
07-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Don't RFAs have the right to accept a qualifying offer and play one more year for the original team and then become a UFA?
The guys who want out should just do this and then hit the open market without any worries about the original team matching. No need to force anything then.
I may be mistaken, but I think that option is there for most if not all RFAs.

Two things though, if the RFA signs a reasonable offer sheet with another team, he knows that he could be stuck on his own team with the exact same contract.

They can negotiate any contract they want, so I'm guessing they could negotiate a 1-year deal with their own team. What's the benefit for the team, though? They would then have to make a trade or the player walks.

Lloyd Christmas
07-11-2012, 10:11 AM
I don't get why Carmelo gets blame though. He didn't sign an extension in Denver causing THEM to ask where he would sign an extension in order to get some trade pieces back.

cloreenfa
07-11-2012, 10:27 AM
http://www.vvio.info/jpg1I think its becoming a trend that players still in contract try to force their way out of the team they signed.

No integrity at all.

their way out of the team they signed.

xnick5757
07-11-2012, 10:32 AM
You do realize that if the Rfa didn't tell his team he wanted out he could instead sign a one year deal and his team would get nothing for him right?

DitchDat
07-11-2012, 10:40 AM
You do realize that if the Rfa didn't tell his team he wanted out he could instead sign a one year deal and his team would get nothing for him right?

Yes I know. It's all about leverage, but I find it annoying. You should only be able to pick a team when you're unrestricted. Too many times the process doesn't get played out the way it should.

ChicagoRox
07-11-2012, 11:18 AM
I think that players requesting were to go while under contract is just how things work nowadays. It's sad but true. It has become the precedent. And no matter how much we dislike it , or think it is bs, it will never change. Superstars will now scheme with each other (Heat) to a certain destination or hold teams hostage (Dwigth, Melo.) And that is just the way it is.

PS.
I think it is utter BS, but I have come to understand and accept it. Only thing you can do as a fan is hope that your team is the one that the superstars choose, become a bandwagon fan, or don't watch.

Hellcrooner
07-11-2012, 11:56 AM
restricted f.A shouldnt exist.
Period.
and the fun thing is that it does more damage than good to the league and teams ebcause it drives salarys up.

torocan
07-11-2012, 11:59 AM

Yes, they can.

However, if YOU were a player, and you're a RFA, and you didn't want to stay on your current team, you would try to influence the decision however you could as long as it's within the rules. Especially if taking a minimum QO would cost you a LOT of money.

As Fans we hate to see it, but on the other side, I don't blame the players. The teams control where they end up, but that doesn't mean that players have to LIKE it, or that they shouldn't try to influence it.

koreancabbage
07-11-2012, 12:02 PM
their way out of the team they signed.

their way out of the team they signed with is what I meant

GSWJunkie
07-11-2012, 12:16 PM
A lot of this Diva drama would subside if the NBA would make all contracts non-guaranteed, like in the NFL. That is the real problem here. If a player is unhappy and wants to leave, then the team he is leaving should have the right to turn around and say: "you want to leave, okay fine, but we no longer have to pay you, thank you for your service and good luck in your future endeavors. By volunteering to leave, you waive all legal rights to receive any further compensation from us from this day forward and your contract is now void". That would shut some players up, LOL. Of course, the NBA would never do this.

effen5
07-11-2012, 12:22 PM
This is one of the reasons I absolutely hate this generation of basketball...I honestly don't even think these players want to win but its all about the glitz and glamour. So they want to be traded to the most popular team and make the most money.

This is why I have so much respect for players that will stay with their team long term...Rose, Durant, Nash, Duncan, Parker, and some others.

This era of basketball is so annoying and I think one of the reasons why the NBA is so popular right now is not because of the actual game like in the 80s and 90s but the actual drama of basketball...

- When will Lebron win one
- The decision
- Melodrama
- Dwight Drama

etc....

yuck.

effen5
07-11-2012, 12:23 PM
A lot of this Diva drama would subside if the NBA would make all contracts non-guaranteed, like in the NFL. That is the real problem here. If a player is unhappy and wants to leave, then the team he is leaving should have the right to turn around and say: "you want to leave, okay fine, but we no longer have to pay you, thank you for your service and good luck in your future endeavors. By volunteering to leave, you waive all legal rights to receive any further compensation from us from this day forward and your contract is now void". That would shut some players up, LOL. Of course, the NBA would never do this.

Agreed.

C_Mund
07-11-2012, 02:19 PM
I think that players requesting were to go while under contract is just how things work nowadays. It's sad but true. It has become the precedent. And no matter how much we dislike it , or think it is bs, it will never change. Superstars will now scheme with each other (Heat) to a certain destination or hold teams hostage (Dwigth, Melo.) And that is just the way it is.

PS.
I think it is utter BS, but I have come to understand and accept it. Only thing you can do as a fan is hope that your team is the one that the superstars choose, become a bandwagon fan, or don't watch.

I think that some of us have figured out another option.....sit back and complain like the world owes us something!!

C_Mund
07-11-2012, 02:29 PM
This is one of the reasons I absolutely hate this generation of basketball...I honestly don't even think these players want to win but its all about the glitz and glamour. So they want to be traded to the most popular team and make the most money.

This is why I have so much respect for players that will stay with their team long term...Rose, Durant, Nash, Duncan, Parker, and some others.

This era of basketball is so annoying and I think one of the reasons why the NBA is so popular right now is not because of the actual game like in the 80s and 90s but the actual drama of basketball...

- When will Lebron win one
- The decision
- Melodrama
- Dwight Drama

etc....

yuck.

I'm on board, but what it comes down to with the bolded part is that they DO want to win, they DO want the glitz and glamour, they DO want to be in their preferred location and they DO want to play with their buddies. I have no problem with any combination of these things because certain aspects are important to different people. My issue lies in that an entire generation thinks they should have it ALL AT ONCE.

Here's the rookie camp where they teach the newbies "how to act" on the big stage:

"I'll sign with the team that drafted me so I can get the biggest raise, complain that we're not winning...although they knew I wouldn't re-sign unless they gave me a third of the cap (essentially handicapping the rest of the roster), hint that I'm not getting enough national exposure, find out where my friend is going to sign, and create drama in my own locker room until they trade me. But wait, if I REFUSE to sign an extension with every team except one, nobody will relinquish any assets for me so my current team has can either lose me or get back whatever. I'll end up with a max contract, in the market that I want, playing with who I want because we planned to do this behind closed doors!!"

DitchDat
07-12-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm on board, but what it comes down to with the bolded part is that they DO want to win, they DO want the glitz and glamour, they DO want to be in their preferred location and they DO want to play with their buddies. I have no problem with any combination of these things because certain aspects are important to different people. My issue lies in that an entire generation thinks they should have it ALL AT ONCE.

Here's the rookie camp where they teach the newbies "how to act" on the big stage:

"I'll sign with the team that drafted me so I can get the biggest raise, complain that we're not winning...although they knew I wouldn't re-sign unless they gave me a third of the cap (essentially handicapping the rest of the roster), hint that I'm not getting enough national exposure, find out where my friend is going to sign, and create drama in my own locker room until they trade me. But wait, if I REFUSE to sign an extension with every team except one, nobody will relinquish any assets for me so my current team has can either lose me or get back whatever. I'll end up with a max contract, in the market that I want, playing with who I want because we planned to do this behind closed doors!!"

...and have no regard for the structures in place. Yeah it sucks and I wish NBA players weren't such divas.

mark1125
07-12-2012, 11:04 AM
The only thing that irks me about spoiled players crying about going to a particular team (ala Howard) are when owners always cave into them.

I would love Orlando to give a big FU to Dwight and send him to a Charlotte or Utah (no disrespect. Just thinking of smaller teams or areas he would not enjoy). I am glad that NJ has bowed out (flr now).

DitchDat
07-12-2012, 11:13 AM
The only thing that irks me about spoiled players crying about going to a particular team (ala Howard) are when owners always cave into them.

I would love Orlando to give a big FU to Dwight and send him to a Charlotte or Utah (no disrespect. Just thinking of smaller teams or areas he would not enjoy). I am glad that NJ has bowed out (flr now).

That would backfire for those teams though. They'd be giving up all their assets for 1 year of a pouting superstar. Players know that they have a lot of leverage.

tcav701
07-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Players get garaunteed contracts and force there way out of the organization that gave them the contract.

It's am embarassment and should have never been allowed.

BKLYNpigeon
07-12-2012, 11:15 AM
if you Draft a player, you basically have about 7 years with him through his rookie contract and his first extension.

BKLYNpigeon
07-12-2012, 11:18 AM
People are giving Dwight Howard a lot of crap these days.. but you dont know what really went on behind the scenes. both sides are equally, right and wrong.

At least Howard is being honest to teams trading for him, he only wants to play for Brooklyn. if you trade for him its a 1yr rental.

phi2134
07-12-2012, 11:34 AM
I have no problem with RFA's saying they want out or voicing their opinion. My problem is with the players that are in the middle of their contracts, who have signed their extensions or will be drafted saying that they don't want to go to a specific team or that they want out of their current city. This isn't up to them, they need to understand it is a business and by signing a contract, especially multi million dollar contracts, that they have the responsibility of honoring that contract.

Same goes for players who want more money if they have a good year in the middle of their contract, you signed it, live with it. Players never get a reducded contract if they underperform.

DitchDat
07-13-2012, 02:50 AM
People are giving Dwight Howard a lot of crap these days.. but you dont know what really went on behind the scenes. both sides are equally, right and wrong.

At least Howard is being honest to teams trading for him, he only wants to play for Brooklyn. if you trade for him its a 1yr rental.

Then why opt in? He could have been unrestricted.