PDA

View Full Version : NBA GMs: OMG! They DO get it…finally!!!

RaiderLakersA's
07-10-2012, 01:55 PM
A blurb from an ESPN article tells me that maybe not all is lost for the NBA.

Multiple league executives told ESPN.com on Sunday that there is growing reluctance among some teams to participate in the sort of three-team deal that would get Howard to Brooklyn, amid some league-wide dissatisfaction that the Los Angeles Lakers were able to swing a deal for Steve Nash last week.

Being the cog in creating another super team in Brooklyn, with Deron Williams and Joe Johnson already in the mix, is not palatable to some teams concerned about competitive balance.

"You can talk about the new (luxury) tax all you want, but if the Lakers get Nash and the Nets get Howard, then what did the new CBA accomplish?" one GM said.

"You have to realize part of long-term planning is making sure you don't help create teams you can't beat."

Obviously, there is no way to stop the creation of “super teams” outright. Some GMs will draft well and add pieces to form a juggernaut. In a game like basketball where 2 dominant players and role fillers can lead to a title, it’s unavoidable.

But hopefully these guys have inhaled the smelling salts, got up off the mat, and finally realized that the hulking monster that just blasted them into the middle of a failed season and a dejected fanbase was one of their own creation. Stop doing it!

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8147719/orlando-magic-exploring-other-dwight-howard-trades-source-says

thephoenixson28
07-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Has to be Gilbert

NYMetros
07-10-2012, 02:02 PM
This posted by a Lakers fan? Dude you are a super team. :laugh2:

Hellcrooner
07-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Lol.

So they are not ready to allow nets to become a superteam and wont help them as a third team..............

In order taht Howard is traded to the lakers and become a superteam?

Yep, perfect sense from Gms..

celtNYpatsHeels
07-10-2012, 02:06 PM
The Lakers could be the first NBA team in history to push a $100m payroll this year lol

310Casper
07-10-2012, 02:07 PM
This is why the 5 lowest seeded small market teams should be eliminated.

Lakers + Giants
07-10-2012, 02:10 PM
The Lakers could be the first NBA team in history to push a $100m payroll this year lol

Money ain't a problem.

TheNumber37
07-10-2012, 02:18 PM
I don't even agree that Howard puts the Lakers over the top. I mean, they are coached by Mike Brown. Sure they will defend will, but he couldn't get them to score more than 80 when he had Gasol AND Bynum. Howard is not going to do more than both of them.

RaiderLakersA's
07-10-2012, 02:20 PM
This posted by a Lakers fan? Dude you are a super team. :laugh2:

I never said that we weren't -- although in truth, 2 of our stars are home grown players (Kobe and Bynum) brought in via the draft. The rest were downstream acquisitions that were acquired as much needed role players, usually following a season or two of futility.

My point is, you don't see the Lakers deliberately making trades that result in other teams becoming a super team, do you? I expect every team to look out for its longterm best interests the same way.

yanksrock
07-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Lol

The goods
07-10-2012, 02:23 PM
If we included a 3rd team we would give away gasol,which is a better offer than that multi team trash trade,that Orlando is involved in.

Gritz
07-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Haters gonna hate

RaiderLakersA's
07-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Lol.

So they are not ready to allow nets to become a superteam and wont help them as a third team..............

In order taht Howard is traded to the lakers and become a superteam?

Yep, perfect sense from Gms..

With or without Howard...as someone said earlier...the Lakers are a super team. Howard is to defense what Bynum is to offense. Aside from that, it's a wash as far as I'm concerned.

Not that I think Howard will land in LA. If he really wanted to be a Laker, he would have kept his mouth shut last year, quietly opted out of his contract and walked right into a purple and gold jersey THIS season. That Bynum is still a Laker should tell you something. Howard is destined for some other zip code than LA.

Stinkyoutsider
07-10-2012, 02:31 PM
I agree. Especially with this whole Howard drama. I heard the Cavs are rumored to be a part of the deal and could sign Humpheries outright without being in the deal but would like to get additional assets if they can. Now, why would the Cavs help out the Nets and the price of getting another asset or 2? If the Cavs get 3 more assets, they still won't be able to beat a super team like what the Nets are putting together so why be a part of the trade. Don't help the enemy...

NYK4L
07-10-2012, 02:35 PM
This is why the 5 lowest seeded small market teams should be eliminated.

Yes I don't know why this isn't obvious to more people.