PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan to sign three-year contract with Spurs

slynxpac
07-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Tim Duncan will sign a three-year contract with the Spurs this week, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Duncan's representatives and the Spurs are finalizing a few items, but the structure has been agreed upon. The contract is expected to be in the range of the three-year, $36 million deal Kevin Garnett reached with the Boston Celtics the day before the NBA's free-agent market opened.
The Spurs have reached agreements with free agents Danny Green (three years, $12 million) and Boris Diaw (two years, $9.2 million). They also have a struck a deal to re-sign guard Patty Mills, who opted out of his contract after last season, and intend to add French guard Nando De Colo.
Duncan, 36, declared himself "a Spur for life" during the Western Conference finals, and showed little interest in testing the free-agent market. He averaged 15.4 points and nine rebounds last season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--tim-duncan-to-sign-three-year-contract-with-spurs.html;_ylt=A2KJNF_MUPxPFXIAA5bQtDMD

Glen20
07-10-2012, 11:57 AM
i love tim duncan
i'd draft him over anybody (except Shaq and Lebron) in the last 2 decades

kdspurman
07-10-2012, 12:00 PM
i love tim duncan

I think I'd draft him over Lebron simply cause he was more NBA ready when he came in and dominated on both ends from year 1. If we're talking about each of their respective draft years of course. :)

NYKnickFanatic
07-10-2012, 12:00 PM
When I was younger, I used to hate Tim Duncan. But as I got older, I have gained a lot of respect for him. Class act and very loyal to his team. Got to love that.

Glen20
07-10-2012, 12:02 PM
I think I'd draft him over Lebron simply cause he was more NBA ready when he came in and dominated on both ends from year 1. If we're talking about each of their respective draft years of course. :)

i have no problem with taking him over lebron
he's a proven winner and is undoubtedly in the top 10, maybe even top 5, of all players

EDUTEXANS
you gotta love this guy

kdspurman
I don't think anyone doubted this would get done. Numbers will probably be similar to KG, probably a little lower though if I had to guess, but not by much.

KB-Pau-DH2012
i love tim duncan

I'd draft him over LeBron easily.

It took LeBron 9 yrs to win a title, and that too after bailing on his team to join an already established franchise superstar and Finals MVP and a top 5 PF.

Duncan won a title in just his 2nd season, and then re-tooled with a whole new supporting cast led with guys the Spurs drafted in Parker and Ginobili and won 3 more.

Duncan was successful the customary way.

LeBron is great, and very pleased and relieved he finally got his ring.

But please stop comparing LeBron to Top 10 greats like Timmy, Shaq and Kobe.

PS: Congrats Timmy! :dance:

Glen20
07-10-2012, 12:04 PM

It took LeBron 9 yrs to win a title, and that too after bailing on his team to join an already established franchise superstar and Finals MVP and a top 5 PF.

Duncan won a title in just his 2nd season, and then re-tooled with a whole new supporting cast led with guys the Spurs drafted in Parker and Ginobili and won 3 more.

Please stop comparing LeBron to Top 10 greats like Timmy, Shaq and Kobe.

kobe wasn't even the best player on his team during his first three championships
don't think that will ever be forgotten
and by your reasoning (which i dont disagree with), Duncan > Kobe, and you know it

JerseyPalahniuk
Congrats to Tim Duncan my 2nd favorite player in the league! Good luck to the Spurs next year!!

kdspurman
i have no problem with taking him over lebron
he's a proven winner and is undoubtedly in the top 10, maybe even top 5, of all players

Top 5 is probably pushing it, but I know the arguments can be made. I'd be thrilled if he could retire with 5 rings, but it's getting tougher and tougher at this point.

Will take a monumental effort to match up with the young bloods in the game today

Glen20
07-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Top 5 is probably pushing it, but I know the arguments can be made. I'd be thrilled if he could retire with 5 rings, but it's getting tougher and tougher at this point.

Will take a monumental effort to match up with the young bloods in the game today

the only player better than him in the last decade and a half was shaq
people tend to overlook that

NYKnickFanatic
07-10-2012, 12:07 PM
kobe wasn't even the best player on his team during his first three championships
don't think that will ever be forgotten
and by your reasoning (which i dont disagree with), Duncan > Kobe, and you know it

And here we go...:facepalm:

Glen20
07-10-2012, 12:08 PM
And here we go...:facepalm:

i sitll stand by my original comment...
Duncan is the second best player (after shaq) to have played in the last decade and a half

RaiderLakersA's
07-10-2012, 12:09 PM
It will be good to see him start and end his brilliant career in the same place.

kdspurman
07-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Hard to imagine still, these are his last years in the league. And I have no idea what direction the team will go in at that point, but it's crazy to just imagine that. It was tough watching D-Rob go, but he went out with a title and Tim had already been dominating, so it made it easier.

It will take a whole lot of getting lucky/fortune to be this successful when the Big Fundamental leaves the game.

NYKnickFanatic
07-10-2012, 12:26 PM
i sitll stand by my original comment...
Duncan is the second best player (after shaq) to have played in the last decade and a half

Im just saying, lets not turn this into a who is better than who thread. Lets stay on topic.

Glen20
07-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Im just saying, lets not turn this into a who is better than who thread. Lets stay on topic.

fair enough
but the lakers fan was one who started it

Chavacano
07-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Will Duncan play 'til he's 40?

JayW_1023
07-10-2012, 12:34 PM
He will still be productive. IQ and fundamentals don't go away with age.

todu82
07-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Good move by the Spurs here. Duncan's probably one of the best and most likeable guys in the NBA over the past few years.

torocan
07-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Duncan is da bomb.

And if he retires with the Spurs, it's a gift to the fans.

IIISSKiLL
07-10-2012, 12:55 PM

why stop comparing him to kobe ? by the end of it all im sure we can all agree that he'll have a better career than kobe.. stop acting like kobe didnt have a super team and if they get howard he'd have another one

Hellcrooner
07-10-2012, 12:57 PM
seriously whats wrong with this veteran players that have won rings and won more money than 100 people will see in all their lives asking for this bloated contracts at their ages instead of ****ing signing minimum deals to allow their teams to go chase young good FA and thus being able to have a shot at getting more rings and a better ( yet) legacy?

kdspurman
07-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Duncan is da bomb.

And if he retires with the Spurs, it's a gift to the fans.

Probably should be When not If. There's no doubt he's going to retire with them, and I'd say there's no chance he goes to any other team regardless of the situation.

IIISSKiLL
07-10-2012, 12:59 PM
duncan has never really been a popular nba player IMO lebron has made so much money between commericals, soda, nike that he can afford to take less.. let duncan make his money he deserves it

Hellcrooner
07-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Probably should be When not If. There's no doubt he's going to retire with them, and I'd say there's no chance he goes to any other team regardless of the situation.

I hope Spurs are classy enough not to pull an Ewing/hakeem on him on his last year.

kdspurman
07-10-2012, 01:05 PM
seriously whats wrong with this veteran players that have won rings and won more money than 100 people will see in all their lives asking for this bloated contracts at their ages instead of ****ing signing minimum deals to allow their teams to go chase young good FA and thus being able to have a shot at getting more rings and a better ( yet) legacy?

Can't speak for other teams/players but in Tim's case? It's simple. Loyalty. From both ends and it's a rare feat in sports today. In fact, he probably could've gotten more IMHO, and I'm sure other teams would have offered him more.

Even if he took the minimum, I don't know you realize how hard it is to attract FA's to want to play in SA even if it is a winning environment. (Actually you probably do, it sucks but that's how it always seems to be) It's not like they don't do their homework and try and bring guys in, but players would rather play in bigger markets, or get overpaid elsewhere.

It would not have made a significant enough difference to do that, and bring in somebody with the amount they'd have left. My bet is (Now that they're pretty guard heavy) is they will try and trade for someone else. But they very rarely rush, or try and make a deal cause they feel they have to. It has to make sense, and history shows they usually make the right call.

kdspurman
07-10-2012, 01:07 PM
I hope Spurs are classy enough not to pull an Ewing/hakeem on him on his last year.

I don't see that happening at all tbh. Like there's a 0% chance in my mind of that happening. I think both sides genuinely want it

Gritz
07-10-2012, 01:24 PM
He's going to get traded to Washington

Chavacano
07-10-2012, 01:29 PM
He will still be productive. IQ and fundamentals don't go away with age.

Yeah. I agree but it's hard bearing to watch such a great player decline. :(

THE_FLASH_21
07-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Man happy for Duncan.. Like some of u guys had posted here.. Hated him in the begining because he was too damn boring.. But now older and have played ball in highschool and some JC ball.. the dude was amazing.. probably top 20 greatest of all time. And is it just me, in the begining when he was coming up.. the man had some sick *** shoes.. i use to cop them all the time.. $150 for a pair.. SMH but they were worth it!

Now that i coach, i base alot of my coaching from duncan!! Fundamentals!!

kdspurman
07-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Some more details:

@SpearsNBAYahoo
Spurs forward Tim Duncan's three-year deal is fully guaranteed and the third-year is a player's option, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.

@SpearsNBAYahoo: Tim Duncan also has a no-trade clause in his new contract with the Spurs.

numba1CHANGsta
07-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Guess Tim Duncan will be stuck on 4 rings for the rest of his career :D

Stinkyoutsider
07-10-2012, 02:35 PM
There we go, Duncan = class act. Instead of taking offers for more money (probably would have been offered good money out on the free agent market) he wants to come back to SA. They've already have a contending team and with Duncan back in the fold, they can continue to retool and get better.

greg_ory_2005
07-10-2012, 03:08 PM
One of the greatest to ever play. I can't imagine him on any other team.

IversonIsKrazy
07-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Legend. Though I thought he would've taken less money, or taken a contract like he did back in 2001, for where the first and second year are low, and then high after so they have a chance to sign someone good at first.
Though he is a class act and deserves all the money, guess it can be a Loyalty bonus. Love this dude.

kdspurman
07-10-2012, 09:36 PM
I find it comical that a Rashard Lewis thread is getting more views/replies than this :laugh2:

Never thought I'd see the day.

greg_ory_2005
07-10-2012, 09:39 PM
If only Duncan signed with the Heat. this site probably woulda crashed. :laugh2:

Losoway
07-10-2012, 09:39 PM
tim duncan is a legend .

great resign

Glen20
07-10-2012, 09:43 PM
If only Duncan signed with the Heat. this site probably woulda crashed. :laugh2:

one can dream :p

MrfadeawayJB
07-10-2012, 09:44 PM
A little suprised it was a 3 yr deal...though he would only take 1 yr contracts from here on out

kdspurman
07-10-2012, 10:16 PM

LOL... Most definitely.

Bruno
07-10-2012, 10:22 PM
TD is legendary. last of a dying breed.

Jarvo
07-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Tim Duncan :worthy: :bow:

nbrod
07-11-2012, 12:57 AM
When I was younger, I used to hate Tim Duncan. But as I got older, I have gained a lot of respect for him. Class act and very loyal to his team. Got to love that.

This. He just keeps his mouth shut and wins rings

kdspurman
07-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Tim basically took the same kind of deal Robinson got when he left...

@SpearsNBAYahoo: Yahoo Sports' Johnny Ludden reports that Spurs forward Tim Duncan signed a three-year deal worth about $30 million

jetsfan28
07-15-2012, 09:25 PM
That contract is just ridiculous. He pretty much could have demanded max money if he wanted to.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-15-2012, 09:40 PM
That contract is just ridiculous. He pretty much could have demanded max money if he wanted to.

Not sure how it's ridiculous... He is 36. I am not negating his skill by anyway (he's my 2nd favorite player in the league) but $10 mil a year through age 39 isn't bad. KG who would be more likely to demand more money will be making $12 mil a year. I thought Duncan's salary would be less anyway since the Spurs know how to work contracts MUCH better than a majority of the teams in the league - and Duncan was probably much more willing to take a "paycut" than Garnett would be.

dodie53
07-16-2012, 12:59 AM
spur for life, no doubt

Cfrey
07-16-2012, 02:39 AM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm:
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

this post just has facepalm written ALL over it.. come on dude

DitchDat
07-16-2012, 04:10 AM
All-around classy dude.

Dade County
07-16-2012, 04:29 AM
Good for timmy.

Spurs will have a tough time trying to make it to the finals, but it's good for the organization that timmy is a spur for life.

And, some of you laker/kobe fans are ****ing crazy.

Losoway
07-16-2012, 04:37 AM

lmao yea i said the same thing

but i guess its more out of respect thing

charles barkley was trolling hard after they lost about duncan should retire blah blah

3ballbomber
07-16-2012, 04:50 AM
One of the last of a dying breed? let's hope not.

faridk89
07-16-2012, 05:11 AM
wait, so he's not going to the Heat??

kdspurman
07-16-2012, 11:02 AM
By him taking less, it keeps the team under the luxury tax. Mutual respect on both ends that you just don't see too often from players/organizations. No doubt in my mind he could have gotten more if he wanted.

eternal slumber
07-16-2012, 11:43 AM
i doubt they'll be another Tim Duncan.

Chavacano
07-16-2012, 01:58 PM
i doubt they'll be another Tim Duncan.

Clone him. :cool:

Oh, your sig... Sam Pinto. :drool: