PDA

View Full Version : Restricted Free Agents

odiz
07-10-2012, 06:29 AM
Can someone tell me what the point of having restricted free agency is? All it seems to do is make players get overpaid. If a team signs a player to an offersheet they have to overpay in the hope that they go too high for the original team to match and if the original team wants to keep the player they have to match the ridiculous offer. Or a team will just make an offer to drive the price up. What exactly are the advantages?

Huntey
07-10-2012, 07:10 AM
I think it's really just a chance to keep players that you would otherwise lose.

I've been against restricted free agency for a while the the exact reason you stated; 90% of bad contracts come from RFA.

I think it need s to change but I'm not sure what the alterantive would be.

Laker Legend42
07-10-2012, 07:30 AM
I think it's really just a chance to keep players that you would otherwise lose.

I've been against restricted free agency for a while the the exact reason you stated; 90% of bad contracts come from RFA.

I think it need s to change but I'm not sure what the alterantive would be.

I like team or player option. Remove RFA and with younger players the team keeps the option for 2,3 or maybe the first 5 yrs of a drafted players career.

thenaj17
07-10-2012, 07:35 AM
It does give management the choice of keeping the restricted player. That's the only benefit i can think of.

Like you said, it does come at a cost but those are decisions that have to be made by owners/GM's. The owners have to try and make their team comptitive to draw in crowds and if you lose good players by not matching, you won't compete and draw the same crowds in (barring very dedicated fan bases).

Same goes for the team that tries to acquire said player, they are trying to make their team better, be damned with the cost of overpaying.

It wouldn't be my choice of management but they are under great amounts of pressure to deliver.