PDA

View Full Version : Are friendly rivalries worse?

Steelers23_06
07-10-2012, 03:50 AM
I was just listening to ESPN Radio and in an interview with KD they asked him about they friendly rivalry with LeBron. He replied along the lines of "i dont think us being friends off the court makes it worse, i think it makes it better because since we're friends i want to beat him that much more".

Doesn't that makes sense though? Think about it when your playing ball with your friends at the gym arent you madder when you lose to your friend? I know if I'm playing basketball and I'm playing some random guy its like im balling but its just not the same. even someone you HATE. you wanna beat them but if you lose your mad for a week but get over it. when you play a friend. you talk more smack. you play harder. you want the W to not only to one up your bud but for bragging rights. it isnt as bad for lebron to lose to dirk because how often do you see lebron and dirk off the court hanging out. whereas KD and bron hung out for a week nicknamed "hell week" during the lockout together. you'd be a fool to think every time lebron and KD hangout now hes not thinking about game 5 in the back of his mind. i think its gonna light a fire under him that we've never seen before which is insane considering the player KD already is.

so riddle me this PSD...is a friendly rivalry better or worse for the NBA?

bholly
07-10-2012, 03:54 AM
Maybe, but comparing playing against a buddy to playing against a random guy isn't really relevant. Compare playing against a buddy to playing against someone you play often and despise - that's a friendly rivalry vs a non-friendly rivalry.

NYK4L
07-10-2012, 03:59 AM
It's not better or worst really it just makes it a little more boring IMO...I'm not saying this guys should hate each other either...just act like you do to make it more fun for the fans :D, then they can go to a strip club and double team a couple of blonde swedish twins like bff's.

Steelers23_06
07-10-2012, 04:00 AM
Maybe, but comparing playing against a buddy to playing against a random guy isn't really relevant. Compare playing against a buddy to playing against someone you play often and despise - that's a friendly rivalry vs a non-friendly rivalry.

even despise i would much rather lose to an enemy then a friend. you get over an enemy because like i said you never see them but a friend will remind you of that til they are 6 feet under lol.

kjoke
07-10-2012, 04:00 AM
I always want to beat my friends. Take that, place it under a microscope, in the finals and to determine who the best player in the league is? Yeah I'm trying harder than playing some passive stranger. But if I'm doing that against I guy I dislike, I'd probably try more.

But how often do we see star players who hate each other? Magic, Bird, Jordan ext hated each other on the court, but respected one another off.

Steelers23_06
07-10-2012, 04:07 AM
I always want to beat my friends. Take that, place it under a microscope, in the finals and to determine who the best player in the league is? Yeah I'm trying harder than playing some passive stranger. But if I'm doing that against I guy I dislike, I'd probably try more.

But how often do we see star players who hate each other? Magic, Bird, Jordan ext hated each other on the court, but respected one another off.

i edited it...but like i said in the post before you would think back a couple years after like a state championship and be like man i really didnt like that guy and he beat me or your buddy in your ear saying member when i hit that mid range jay in your eye in the championship lol. im sorry im more p.o.'ed wit choice B

Toastyy
07-10-2012, 04:08 AM
A rivalry where players hate each other is always better

Method28
07-10-2012, 04:19 AM
If I hate someone....I want to crush them and embarrass them on the court until they don't come around anymore. A friend....a 3 in his face or a dunk over.him is good enough for talking smack

Steelers23_06
07-10-2012, 04:25 AM
If I hate someone....I want to crush them and embarrass them on the court until they don't come around anymore. A friend....a 3 in his face or a dunk over.him is good enough for talking smack

im not talking about big plays im talking about the win itself. u think ray allen and kg hate each other...no they are obviously still going to be friends but i think it will be bigger to beat him on the heat then a team they hate in the lakers.

Method28
07-10-2012, 04:30 AM
Thing is I think Boston does hate Miami even before the Allen fiasco...so idk about that one.

To me...the hatred would fuel me more. I can deal with losing to a friend. But if an enemy were to talk **** after a win....ohhhh id be way more pissed lol

--23--
07-10-2012, 04:34 AM

^this... I rather players who hate each other.

3ballbomber
07-10-2012, 07:36 AM
I was just listening to ESPN Radio and in an interview with KD they asked him about they friendly rivalry with LeBron. He replied along the lines of "i dont think us being friends off the court makes it worse, i think it makes it better because since we're friends i want to beat him that much more".

Doesn't that makes sense though? Think about it when your playing ball with your friends at the gym arent you madder when you lose to your friend? I know if I'm playing basketball and I'm playing some random guy its like im balling but its just not the same. even someone you HATE. you wanna beat them but if you lose your mad for a week but get over it. when you play a friend. you talk more smack. you play harder. you want the W to not only to one up your bud but for bragging rights. it isnt as bad for lebron to lose to dirk because how often do you see lebron and dirk off the court hanging out. whereas KD and bron hung out for a week nicknamed "hell week" during the lockout together. you'd be a fool to think every time lebron and KD hangout now hes not thinking about game 5 in the back of his mind. i think its gonna light a fire under him that we've never seen before which is insane considering the player KD already is.

so riddle me this PSD...is a friendly rivalry better or worse for the NBA?
I am pretty surprised to hear from somebody who actually plays basketball to say that trying to beat your friends is better than beating your enemy..........

......ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME??? Where is the competitive bone in your body? where is that hunger?? THe luxury of playing somebody you know and have a good relationship with gives you that element of comfortability and the game, although it may seem competitive is far more leisurely than trying to beat some cat whom you don't like but also dislikes you and thinks you ain't ish and can ball better and thinks he can beat you down on the hardwood.

THERE IS NO COMPARISON!!! IF you compete with your friends that's almost similar to pick up games with your mates on a weekend. But competing in a heated game vs people you actually dislike/hate is on far a different scope of level of competition and IS an actual rivalry based on something other than mere bragging rights between mates - that's on some adolescent ish.

I play league ball and have teams where i know the players and teams which my team absolutely cannot stand. We take great pleasure in beating down opponents we hate more than the teams comprised of buddies that we know. There's no real bragging rights either because we all respect each other as ballers - you win some you lose some but more likely than not you cannot lose them all so there's no real threat to you as a baller when facing friends. but when you lose to dudes you hate that ish stings to the bone!!

LongIslandIcedZ
07-10-2012, 08:54 AM
I prefer a non friendship rivalry. Nothing better than the Red Sox/Yankees when both teams are peaking. Arod and Varitek getting into a fight, its just more fun for me. It was more satisfying for me with all the back and forth 'hate' between the Jets and the Patriots, then watch the Jets take it to them in Foxborough. It makes the losses that much worse, but its a fun ride.

Even game one this past year against the Celtics, when KG went after Bill Walker after he contested that shot in the final seconds. If it went in that wouldda hurt big time, but he missed it and it felt awesome.

Cal827
07-10-2012, 09:10 AM
It's funnier if they hate each other:

Kobe Bryant vs. Raja Bell
Michael Jordan vs. Isiah Thomas
Larry Bird vs. Isiah Thomas
The US Dream team vs. Isiah Thomas
Ron Artest vs. The Detroit Pistons crowd

All Bring back Memories :D

yonkerschampX4
07-10-2012, 09:14 AM
it doesn't matter they are playing "BASKETBALL" not bare knuckle boxing behind the Y for 5 bucks

Hawkeye15
07-10-2012, 09:47 AM

for sure

StarvingKnick22
07-10-2012, 09:52 AM
"friendly rivalrys" are when you trash talk and show off how better you are than them to get them started. a real "player rivalry" is when you get to into it and every time you play them the arguement they both get too into it and one will end up in an superstar performance and the other gets a double/triple. just like the Kobe/Iverson rivalry in the 2001 Finals and they both end up with techs.
Lebron and KD, on the other hand have a "friendship." Carmelo/Iguodala have one heck of a "Player Rivalry" so does Mario Chalmbersvs. the rest of the NBA.

Kerv_the_Knick
07-10-2012, 10:17 AM
I think the opposite. If you go against someone you don't like, I feel as if you'd want to keep beating the opposition, as if you want to kill them every time. Too bad everyone's friends with each other, nowadays, with the exception of KG. Basketball in the NBA isn't what it used to be in the past, unfortunately.

Hellcrooner
07-10-2012, 10:52 AM
When i played basket in the youth ranks of my city team i would ALWAYS play harder when i played against a dude that pissed me off, and we always played harder as a team when we were playing against a rival city youth team and the inner city rival, when we played against other teams in teh city with no rivarly and with some friends in the other team it was not even close.

Hellcrooner
07-10-2012, 10:54 AM
And dont be fooled a good pro will always put more effort against a real rival.

Just check for example Paus defensive effort when he is playing Dirk against his effort against other Pfs.
Not even close.

Gritz
07-10-2012, 11:00 AM
When I grew up playing sports I wanted to destroy my opponents and was not friends with them off the court because I took it personal

torocan
07-10-2012, 11:05 AM
The big difference between playing friends and people you dislike isn't the level of effort, it's how far you're willing to go.

I might play hard against friends, but I certainly won't be cheap shotting them, getting in an elbow, or sneaking in an unfair shove.

And in a competitive game, if you're not willing to do that, you're not doing everything you can to win.

LeMarcus
07-10-2012, 11:07 AM
How many of you guys actually played organized sports? Joined a league?
Or any sports beyond high school?

You guys are foolish to think there's tiers in the competitive level of these athletes, just braise theyre friends outside the sport.

nbrod
07-10-2012, 11:15 AM

This

blastmasta26
07-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Hateful rivalries are more fun, but I don't think a KD/LeBron type of rivalry needs something like hate to fuel it.

Chronz
07-10-2012, 01:46 PM
My friendship suffered because of my killer intensity on the court.