PDA

View Full Version : Should the Bulls pull a 'Spurs'?

NYSpirit1
07-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Many of you might not know what I'm referring to, but in the mid 90s, the Spurs were an elite type team and Robinson went down with an injury for the entire year. They ended up with 22 wins and they got the 1st pick (Duncan). They went on to have a ridiculous 13 year run.

No team would ever publicly admit to tanking, but if the Bulls simply didn't try that hard, they landed the first pick in the lotto and grabbed Shabazz Muhammad, the Bulls would have an elite, young backcourt for like 15 years and could return to being a 60 win team in 2 seasons with an elite young SG.

Currently constructed, with Rose, that team really isn't going anywhere, but with him out, there's a genuine chance they don't make the playoffs.

It seems they've been left out of the discussion since he tore his ACL for just about everything. The Heat, Lakers, Clippers, Celtics, Thunder, Knicks and Nets have been taking all the headlines.

Thoughts?

justinnum1
07-10-2012, 12:04 AM
they have to good of a team to suck that bad.

bearadonisdna
07-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Not really genuine. If Bulls didnt make the playoffs it would be a huge upset.

tredigs
07-10-2012, 12:06 AM
Did not realize we had an NBA ready top ten player in NBA history coming through the draft next year?

JerseyPalahniuk
07-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Nets finished with worst record, got 3rd pick 3 years ago
Bobcats finished with the worst record all time, got the 2nd pick this year
These are just the first ones that come to mind.

This "strategy" will not work out as easily as you think

bearadonisdna
07-10-2012, 12:08 AM
The SPurs showed they werent really a good team without robinson.
He was really good.

Once they saw they werent going to make the playoffs, then tanking is a viable option.
Tanking is an option for any team who is not gonna make the playoffs.

cjbulls3
07-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Bulls will make the playoffs without rose

Arch Stanton
07-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Sucking doesn't gaurantee a number one pick. Look at the Bobcats this past year. It's not like you just suck and can chose the guy you want.

cjbulls3
07-10-2012, 12:12 AM
So this strategy won't work

tredigs
07-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Many of you might not know what I'm referring to, but in the mid 90s, the Spurs were an elite type team and Robinson went down with an injury for the entire year. They ended up with 22 wins and they got the 1st pick (Duncan). They went on to have a ridiculous 13 year run.

No team would ever publicly admit to tanking, but if the Bulls simply didn't try that hard, they landed the first pick in the lotto and grabbed Shabazz Muhammad, the Bulls would have an elite, young backcourt for like 15 years and could return to being a 60 win team in 2 seasons with an elite young SG.

Currently constructed, with Rose, that team really isn't going anywhere, but with him out, there's a genuine chance they don't make the playoffs.

It seems they've been left out of the discussion since he tore his ACL for just about everything. The Heat, Lakers, Clippers, Celtics, Thunder, Knicks and Nets have been taking all the headlines.

Thoughts?

So in short, for about a dozen reasons - can't and won't. Namely the Bulls will win >45 games and will make the playoffs. Cody Zeller is not Tim Duncan. And tanking absolutely insures you nothing, especially the #1 overall.

bearadonisdna
07-10-2012, 12:24 AM
So in short, for about a dozen reasons - can't and won't. Namely the Bulls will win >45 games and will make the playoffs. Cody Zeller is not Tim Duncan. And tanking absolutely insures you nothing, especially the #1 overall.

Good points.

Ezio
07-10-2012, 12:25 AM
Yeah tanking is pointless if you're not guaranteed the top pick. Look at the Raps/Nets/Cats.

TylerSL
07-10-2012, 12:27 AM
they wont tank. Rose will be back probably in January. Even without Rose I think Chicago is 5th or 6th best team in East. When Rose returns in January he can get them to the #3 seed IMO

Silent
07-10-2012, 12:36 AM
they have to good of a team to suck that bad.

Lol now u think there good i hope we win 25 games i want shabazz

gotoHcarolina52
07-10-2012, 12:43 AM
The Bulls are more likely to get bone spurs than to pull a Spurs.

*Silver&Black*
07-10-2012, 12:49 AM

Thoughts?

15 years after this year? Rose has 16 elite years left?

ChI_ShIzzLe
07-10-2012, 12:50 AM
"Tanking" isn't in Tom Thibodeau's dictionary, so no.

kobemelo
07-10-2012, 12:51 AM

Thoughts?

OT: but they're a legit contender at full strength with him so..

To add to the thread though, yea it's a good idea but like some of these guys been sayin they're still too good without him to be a high lotto team, if a lotto team at all. Lol Bulls aren't full of scrubs, they got 2 borderline all stars (Booz,Noah well idk about Boozer anymore), and Deng was an all star this year (I'd put him with the other to but regardless).

ChI_ShIzzLe
07-10-2012, 12:53 AM
This guy's calendar must be in Venus years. I don't know how many athletes play at an "elite" level for 15 years..lol

Steelers23_06
07-10-2012, 01:48 AM
that was the celtics plan to draft tim duncan. and how did that work out? :eyebrow:

Steelers23_06
07-10-2012, 01:50 AM
This guy's calendar must be in Venus years. I don't know how many athletes play at an "elite" level for 15 years..lol

and how many elite pg's stay with the team that drafted em?

stockton, isiah and magic and think thats it so although rose is "loyal" and all we never know.

JasonJohnHorn
07-10-2012, 02:01 AM
I think, with their current roster (sans Rose), they could concievable have a horrid record, BUT, they have a really great coach, so I see them finishing over .500, whether or not that will get them into the playoffs remains to be seen, but this team played very well without Rose for a large portion of this past season, so I can see them staying competitive.

Fmaranesi
07-10-2012, 04:01 AM
Their coach has too much pride to tank a season.

Toastyy
07-10-2012, 04:03 AM
Bulls should make some trades, Probably for Jeremy lamb

bearadonisdna
07-10-2012, 04:14 AM
I think, with their current roster (sans Rose), they could concievable have a horrid record, BUT, they have a really great coach, so I see them finishing over .500, whether or not that will get them into the playoffs remains to be seen, but this team played very well without Rose for a large portion of this past season, so I can see them staying competitive.

Horrid record? Really?

TRF929
07-10-2012, 04:34 AM
I wouldn't say the Spurs tanked, to my belief the celtics had the best chance, the lotto just fell in the Spurs lap. If anything all they have to do is talk to the commissioner now a days and he'll "tilt it" in their favor

guru
07-10-2012, 04:41 AM
It wasn't just David Robinson, Sam Elliott also got hurt, as well as Avery Johnson who I believe was there starting point guard.

Method28
07-10-2012, 04:49 AM
Ok lets say the Bulls trade Noah and Deng...they tank....they SUCK so bad...they get that pick.

They take Muhammad Ali Shabazz or whatever....I can't think of very many teams where the two best players are the pg and sg and they win a title. I can really only think of one (pistons with isiah n dumars.)

Whomewhome
07-10-2012, 05:58 AM
makes little to no sense

JordansBulls
07-10-2012, 08:23 AM
You realize Sean Elliot was out most of the year as well.

ThePooH_1_
07-10-2012, 08:40 AM
to good to tank and when rose comes back we are still contender so NO!

ChiCubsFan
07-10-2012, 08:41 AM
As a Bulls fan I wouldn't mind that because we all see how it takes now with multiple superstars, however, the Bulls team is just too good to lose like that. Even if Rose sat 82 games next year they will be at least a 6-7 spot in the playoffs.

dh144498
07-10-2012, 10:33 AM
bulls are still good without rose. Rose will pull a T-Mac and be irrelevant in 2 years.

Gritz
07-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Even if they did suck that bad, it is up to God (Stern) to decide who gets the number 1 pick