PDA

View Full Version : Pirates or Brewers?

rolover27
07-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Hello everyone,

I was wondering, a friend of mine is looking to get into baseball he want to pick between those 2 teams: pirates and brewers. Since I'm a expert in baseball (I more a hockey and football fan) I don't know wich team is the best long term , who have the best fan , support, money etc,

if you could pick one, wich one is your choice?

thank for the help!

rolover27

07-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Pirates. Brewers are have a bad case of Herpes.

raidersrock99
07-09-2012, 09:03 PM
who have the best fans who who who

Jeffy25
07-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Pirates.

More loveable, and have a brighter future and stronger history.

Chucky Woods
07-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Brewers have a better fanbase.
Pirates have a better team "for now".

Pinstripe pride
07-10-2012, 08:25 AM
pirates stadium is awesome if that helps

ichitownclowni
07-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Pirates.

burgh_fan66
07-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Hello everyone,

I was wondering, a friend of mine is looking to get into baseball he want to pick between those 2 teams: pirates and brewers. Since I'm a expert in baseball (I more a hockey and football fan) I don't know wich team is the best long term , who have the best fan , support, money etc,

if you could pick one, wich one is your choice?

thank for the help!

rolover27

Brewers have a better fanbase.
Pirates have a better team "for now".

I take offense to that. If by "better" you mean bigger I'd have to agree but at our core there is a fan base unique and more passionate than any other. I know the Brewers were step for step with us for a while but the point still remains we have went through 19 years of losing what remains at the core of the Pirate fan base is a group I would put up against any as the best fans in all of sports.

Now as for the OP question you couldn't pick two more contrast teams IMO. Pirate fans hate the Brewers and I'll make no excuses as to why its because they have dominated us. Their stadium is know to us as the House of Horrors because well there frightening things happen and logic takes a holiday. In my opinion the great season the Pirates are currently having can only be completely derailed by one team and its the Brewers. They represent pure evil to us and are a monkey we still must get off our back.

Meanwhile I don't think the Brewers fans have as much angst against the Pirates. We have been there quiet whipping boy for years. So to answer the question if these are the two teams he narrowed it down to he has to go with the Brewers. You can root for the Brewers and ignore or even kind of like the Pirates but I see no way you can root for the Pirates and not at the very least feel disdain towards the Brewers.

cubyfan07
07-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Chicago Cubs!

But if it is between those two teams. Definitely the Pirates.

brodawgs
07-10-2012, 10:45 AM
I have a respect for the Pirate fan base, went to one of the Brewer games at PNC a few years back on a Tuesday and there were something like 25,000 fans in the stands. Thought that was kind of nuts, especially, if I remember correctly, the Pirates were in last place. Also I didn't get heckled like I did at Wrigley or Busch.

That said, obviously I'm gonna take the Brewers fan base, recently has gotten a lot bigger and attendance hasn't dropped, meaning the new fans are still supporting even though we aren't really in contention.

Frozenred
07-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Pirates, they're a team on the rise.

Giannis94
07-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Pirates. They may choke this year again but the Brewers are just gunna fizzle out. Not to mention the Pirates have a lot better prospects that could impact as soon as next year (Cole, Marte) and they got 2 others who can be a #1 or #2 if they pan out (Taillon, Heredia) and Josh Bell is dam good but he is TBT because hes out for the year

duaniak28
07-10-2012, 11:19 AM
The Marlins and Rays are always looking(need) fans!!! :)

todu82
07-10-2012, 12:38 PM
The Pirates, they're a team that's going to be good for years to come.

MetsFanatic19
07-10-2012, 12:49 PM
los piratos

KingPosey
07-10-2012, 01:00 PM
wasnt there some weird study done a few years ago that showed the Pirates had an abnormally large fanbase?

kingkenny01
07-10-2012, 01:05 PM
You are literally picking between the worst two franchises in mlb history that being said
I am a brewers fan.
Espn fans voted miller park best stadium in the mlb
There really are a large number of brewers fans and baseball history in milwaukee is great with hank aaron

JNev
07-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Pirates by a mile. What kind of a name is Brewers anyways? Also, McCutchen is such a fun guy to watch and he just looks cool. For the Brewers, Braun tested positive for PEDs and they're about to trade their best pitcher

Fly
07-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Pirates easily. Once Cole and Tallion are called up, watch out NL

VRP723
07-10-2012, 01:13 PM
This is pretty easy. Neither.

Pens_fan_21
07-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Tell your 'friend' to watch a couple games and it will become REALLY obvious who they should cheer for b/c they will actually like one team more than the other...then tell your friend to NOT jump ship..be loyal...too many bandwagon fans around...BTW, those are two random teams to pick from :p

WVNowitzki
07-10-2012, 01:30 PM
You are literally picking between the worst two franchises in mlb history

In history...really? You clearly don't know about baseball history then. Yes we have endured 19 losing seasons, but we do have 5 world series wins. Get your facts straight before you talk such mess.

Also, tell your friend to be a Brewers fan. I'm already getting annoyed by people jumping on our bandwagon.

theslick1
07-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Pick the Pirates, they have cooler uniforms.

theslick1
07-10-2012, 01:38 PM
You are literally picking between the worst two franchises in mlb history that being said
I am a brewers fan.
Espn fans voted miller park best stadium in the mlb
There really are a large number of brewers fans and baseball history in milwaukee is great with hank aaron

I believe the Phillies have lost more games than any other team in MLB history.

The Pirates hold the record for consecutive losing seasons though.

Nothing will ever match the Cleveland Spiders 1899 season: 20-134. One of their starters finished 4-30.

Chucky Woods
07-10-2012, 01:39 PM
I take offense to that. If by "better" you mean bigger I'd have to agree but at our core there is a fan base unique and more passionate than any other. I know the Brewers were step for step with us for a while but the point still remains we have went through 19 years of losing what remains at the core of the Pirate fan base is a group I would put up against any as the best fans in all of sports.

Now as for the OP question you couldn't pick two more contrast teams IMO. Pirate fans hate the Brewers and I'll make no excuses as to why its because they have dominated us. Their stadium is know to us as the House of Horrors because well there frightening things happen and logic takes a holiday. In my opinion the great season the Pirates are currently having can only be completely derailed by one team and its the Brewers. They represent pure evil to us and are a monkey we still must get off our back.

Meanwhile I don't think the Brewers fans have as much angst against the Pirates. We have been there quiet whipping boy for years. So to answer the question if these are the two teams he narrowed it down to he has to go with the Brewers. You can root for the Brewers and ignore or even kind of like the Pirates but I see no way you can root for the Pirates and not at the very least feel disdain towards the Brewers.I meant bigger, and less fair-weathered.

VRP723
07-10-2012, 01:40 PM
In history...really? You clearly don't know about baseball history then. Yes we have endured 19 losing seasons, but we do have 5 world series wins. Get your facts straight before you talk such mess.

Also, tell your friend to be a Brewers fan. I'm already getting annoyed by people jumping on our bandwagon.

If it makes you feel any better, I think you're going to regress terribly in the 2nd half and finish a distant 3rd :)

Dcup
07-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Pirates by a mile. What kind of a name is Brewers anyways? Also, McCutchen is such a fun guy to watch and he just looks cool. For the Brewers, Braun tested positive for PEDs and they're about to trade their best pitcher

So much logic spewing from this post.

JNev
07-10-2012, 02:39 PM
So much logic spewing from this post.

Im sorry, did Braun not test positive for PEDs? Are the Brewers not likely to trade Greinke? Is the Brewers not a strange name?

Giannis94
07-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Im sorry, did Braun not test positive for PEDs? Are the Brewers not likely to trade Greinke? Is the Brewers not a strange name?

If your going to go by the name go by the history of the name. Pirates? Pirates are in Africa, not Pitsburgh. Brewers, well Milwaukee as a town was a town where many Germans immigrants came. Because of that, a lot of them started Beer Companys. Since then Milwaukee has been known for Beer and always will. Braun did not test positive for PEDS as it was reversed. The things the guy could have done to the urine are endless. Noy saying he did but aside from that there are also more possibilities.

JNev
07-10-2012, 03:05 PM
But Brewer isnt really sports related or a scary name or a common sports name like Cardinals or any kind of bird

Giannis94
07-10-2012, 03:35 PM
But Brewer isnt really sports related or a scary name or a common sports name like Cardinals or any kind of bird

But most names are based off a citys history/location. You just contradicted youself by saying its not sports related or a common sports name. How about Twins? Thats not a common team name or sports name. How about Dodgers? Its not a sports name or scary. A Dodger (http://www.protroll.com/res/online_books/salmon_9.jpg) is actually part of a lure for fishing. It became a sports name when a team adopted that name. Your post lacks knowledge and common sense. To set a standard on a teams name is ridiculos, that it has to be sports related, scary or a common sports name. Most team names started off the total opposite and because of those team names other teams have named their teams after it in not only baseball but many other sports as well going down to reck league.

JNev
07-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Brewers is a weird sports name whether you think it is or not haha idk what else to say

Also, Im pretty sure the Dodgers got their name from people who dodged the fares on trolleys in Brooklyn and they kept it when they moved to LA

JNev
07-10-2012, 04:44 PM
And regardless of the name we have a significantly superior farm system and apparently better team in the majors as well. All signs point to the Pirates

Giannis94
07-10-2012, 05:33 PM
And regardless of the name we have a significantly superior farm system and apparently better team in the majors as well. All signs point to the Pirates

Pirates. They may choke this year again but the Brewers are just gunna fizzle out. Not to mention the Pirates have a lot better prospects that could impact as soon as next year (Cole, Marte) and they got 2 others who can be a #1 or #2 if they pan out (Taillon, Heredia) and Josh Bell is dam good but he is TBT because hes out for the year

Do you post just to post? You really are either a bad troll or an uniformed poster who doesn't know what your talking about. I clearly siad the Pirates are better and I have no idea where you get that I said the Brewers were better. I would like an explanation.

As I said before about the Dodgers, Dodgers can mean different things. Dodgers the Baseball team put that team on the map as well as that na,e. You said things about baseball names, scary names etc. The Dodgers put "Dodgers on the map".

JNev
07-10-2012, 05:48 PM
What explanation do you want? I never said that you said they were better, I was just clarifying the Pirates were the better choice regardless of the name thing.

ManRam
07-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Buccos, hands down!

Yes, I'm biased...but they haven't been decent in forever and because of that I find rooting for them to be much more exciting than rooting for any somewhat decent team. Great park, great city, fun players and the ultimate underdogs. No disrespect to MILW or Miller Park (both are very nice too, arguably as nice).

Jeffy25
07-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Pirates I think is your choice lol, the easily won this discussion thread.

hineswardfan
07-10-2012, 06:20 PM
If your going to go by the name go by the history of the name. Pirates? Pirates are in Africa, not Pitsburgh. Brewers, well Milwaukee as a town was a town where many Germans immigrants came. Because of that, a lot of them started Beer Companys. Since then Milwaukee has been known for Beer and always will. Braun did not test positive for PEDS as it was reversed. The things the guy could have done to the urine are endless. Noy saying he did but aside from that there are also more possibilities.

Clearly you've never been to Pittsburgh, we have dudes with beards cruisin around everywhere. Think of every Pirate name you've ever heard of and I bet it's something like X-Beard. Key being beard... we have like 50k undercover Pirates in the city alone bro. And Brett Keisel!

Dcup
07-10-2012, 06:35 PM

Sure, Braun did, but he was cleared. What does liking a team have to do with them MAYBE trading their best pitcher? But he should like the Pirates because Andrew McCutchen looks cool? How ****ing weird is that?

Who the hell said the name of a team should be scary or a bird? Milwaukee is known for brewing beer...pretty self explanatory don't you think?

JNev
07-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Sure, Braun did, but he was cleared. What does liking a team have to do with them MAYBE trading their best pitcher? But he should like the Pirates because Andrew McCutchen looks cool? How ****ing weird is that?

These are all reasons someone on the fence about liking a team could be nudged in a certain direction. Its not like I'm saying these are the best reasons ever you should pick the Pirates over the Brewers. Clearly the guy doesnt know much about baseball yet so I'm not gonna go into stats or stuff like that

Who the hell said the name of a team should be scary or a bird? Milwaukee is known for brewing beer...pretty self explanatory don't you think?

Its common for team names to be scary and also a lot happen to have names of birds which are majestic and garner a lot of respect. Ex. Blue Jay, Flacon, Cardinal, Oriole, and Raven