PDA

View Full Version : Putting the Colangelo - DeMarcus Cousins thing to rest...

DerekRE_3
07-09-2012, 06:11 PM
From Sam Amick:

Sacramento C and Team USA Select team member DeMarcus Cousins, per his norm, didn't hold back today as he addressed the recent critical comments of Team USA chairman Jerry Colangelo, who had said Cousins needed to mature and wasn't helping his cause in the national program. Cousins just told reporters that he pursued Colangelo this afternoon to discuss his comments. It was, according to Cousins, the first time they had ever conversed.

COUSINS
"I actually just had a conversation with him...I asked him, 'How was I being immature?' He never really gave me an answer. He said it was just his opinion, and I told him that I'm just trying to come out and play hard. I'm not trying to get into any of that. I have respect for every veteran in here, and at the end of the day I'm really just trying to play hard.
"We all know the odds are against (the Select team) in this camp. Everybody knows that to even have a chance we've got to play even harder than we normally do. And I told that I'm just out here trying to play hard.

On their conversation...

"I've never spoken to him. I just went out of my way to ask. I wanted to know. I kind of took offense to it, because I really came in here trying to play hard. For him to say that, it kind of puts a step back in how I'm trying to grow...I know it's my reptuation, so I come in with the odds against me.

On the first day of camp that was so physical with the National team in a scrimmage...

"The first day, none of us expected it to be like that. All of us were a little messed up in the head. But each day, all of us have gotten better, so you kind of get used to it, you kind of accept it and you kind of find a way around it and that's what all of us has done.

On whether it diminishes his desire to be a part of the program...

"I'm not going to say (it's diminished his desire to be a part of the Team USA program). I'm going to say it's not what I expected, but at the end of the day I'm learning and I'm having fun. I'm bonding with my teammates. I'm bonding with the veterans here. It's a fun experience.

On whether he wishes Colangelo would have shared his opinion privately as opposed to publicly...

"It definitely bothered me, because I know I came in here and I'm busting my ***** just to give my team a chance to even compete with these guys. So for him to go out and say that, I mean it was kind of messed up. Like I said, he has a right to his opinion.

"...(Colangelo) came back later on saying how I improved so much and I played well and all this and that. I honestly don't know where I stand, but I'm going to try to end the camp on a strong note and I'm going to continue to compete and play hard."

Source (https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/222449710928113664)

greg_ory_2005
07-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Sean Mayne agrees with Cousins.

Gibby23
07-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Cousins has respected the Vets since coming into the NBA, i remember him saying Gasol was his Fave player and then they both went at it pretty good during the game. How else do you earn respect in the NBA? The kid doesn't back down, and that is different from not respecting the vets.

NYtilIdie
07-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Got damn I ***king love Boogie!

DerekRE_3
07-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Cousins has respected the Vets since coming into the NBA, i remember him saying Gasol was his Fave player and then they both went at it pretty good during the game. How else do you earn respect in the NBA? The kid doesn't back down, and that is different from not respecting the vets.

I agree. There was a game last year when Cousins was guarding Tim Duncan and in the middle of the game he said, "**** you're good." He looks up to guys like Duncan and Pau especially.

Catfish1314
07-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Cousins blowing holes through Colangelo's hollow mess.

Gibby23
07-09-2012, 06:23 PM
I agree. There was a game last year when Cousins was guarding Tim Duncan and in the middle of the game he said, "**** you're good." He looks up to guys like Duncan and Pau especially.

I guess it had to do with him calling out two floppers on team USA during the regular season and he probably went at Blke pretty good during practice.

colinskik
07-09-2012, 06:29 PM
This surprised me ... his statements seems mature. I love Cousins and think he can be special in the league. I like that he confronted Colangelo for an explanation.

Method28
07-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Love Boogie but he still has a way to go. No need to call out dumb stuff like he did with Griff and no need to tell the media you're "busting your balls" LOL

Just play.boogie!

KingsPhillies
07-09-2012, 06:46 PM
I find it a bit ironic that Colangelo called Cousins out for his "maturity issues" and such, yet he never once spoke to him in person about it. Had he approached Cousins about it beforehand, it'd be a little different. Part of being mature means, if you have something to say, you say to a man's face. Running to the media and criticizing someone to whom you've never even spoken seems rather immature to me.

Good for Boogie for getting an explanation from Colangelo, and having the maturity approach someone when he has something to say. Ol' Jerry may be able to learn a thing or two from the Boogie Monster. At least Coach K exercised some tact in regard to his opinion of Cousins.

nicegoing
07-09-2012, 06:53 PM
What was so bad about him fouling in the first place?

Kashmir13579
07-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Its Cousins against the world. The fact that he made this much of a stink is immature in and of itself. You always have to get the last word?

nicegoing
07-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Its Cousins against the world. The fact that he made this much of a stink is immature in and of itself. You always have to get the last word?
I bet this is all he was asked about from reporters. Not sure how it's immature to discuss something with the media. Colangelo and Melo did after all.

Gritz
07-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Lol OP took the other thread personal like they were talking about him

DerekRE_3
07-09-2012, 07:12 PM

He's making a stink? By going to Colangelo himself and speaking to him about what he said? That's what Colangelo should have done himself instead of calling him out to the media (with no actual examples). He started talking **** about Boogie before even talking with him or even meeting him.

All DeMarcus did was tell a reporter that he spoke to Colangelo about what he said about him. Then he said all he wants to do is play hard and make the team. What is wrong with that? Please tell me.

b@llhog24
07-09-2012, 07:26 PM
From Sam Amick:

Source (https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/222449710928113664)

:clap:

mRc08
07-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Cousins is awesome. Who cares about his reputation, fact is the guy can ball. Beings respectful and everything like chicago's own d-rose is nice, but at the end of the day performance is the only thing that matters in professional sports. See Michael Vick getting a second chance for example.

The fact is the people in control of sports do not care about personality, off the field stuff, etc., nearly as much as performance. I like cousins cause he is a beast, and I'm not going to let the choices he makes in the lockeroom or anywhere else effect my opinion of him as a basketball player.

lakers4sho
07-09-2012, 07:50 PM
I like his guts, shows he's willing to work on his deficiencies.

hyphy king 88
07-10-2012, 03:01 AM
****!!!

I just realized something completely obvious.

Jerry Colangelo was the long time owner of the Suns. Prior to that he was their GM thorughout the 70s and early 80s.

Guess who traded for Paul Westphal in 1976, only to see him make 5 All Star teams and lead the Suns to their first Finals appearance?

Guess who hired Paul Westphal as his coach in 1993 only to see him coach that team to the NBA Finals?

You wonder where this crap about Cousins was coming from? Mystery solved. And frankly Jerry can stick it where the sun don't shine. I'm only embarrassed I did not make the connection quicker.

Saw this in another forum and it totally makes sense.

GoferKing_
07-10-2012, 05:33 AM
So, now can the "Cousins is a cancer" , "he is immature" **** stop?

Stay true Boogie! xD